Game 16: LaSalle Thursday Jan 12 @ 7pm CBS Sports Network

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Game 16: LaSalle Thursday Jan 12 @ 7pm CBS Sports Network

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I admit I commented out of emotion, there's a lot of basketball left and we can still make the tourney no matter how bad tonight was. I'm not kidding and I'm not delusional either.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

This team has more talented players available than last year...but...is the basketball team really any better?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....TP, can't help myself....but according to you, we are a good team, but still only lost at home to a bad team by a dozen after being down by three touchdowns, for me a picture of a good team in any dictionary is not a picture of a Rhody, not tonite and probably not Monday either....good teams are not 2-2 in their conference....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:I admit I commented out of emotion, there's a lot of basketball left and we can still make the tourney no matter how bad tonight was. I'm not kidding and I'm not delusional either.
I believe you aren't kidding....but that's all :lol:
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

section(105) wrote:.....TP, can't help myself....but according to you, we are a good team, but still only lost at home to a bad team by a dozen after being down by three touchdowns, for me a picture of a good team in any dictionary is not a picture of a Rhody, not tonite and probably not Monday either....good teams are not 2-2 in their conference....

And granted our 2 league wins were by big margins, but they were against 2 teams that may very well be the bottom two teams in the league.

Saw a refreshing stat for a Rams fan, Northwestern has not gone dancing in 78 years. But they are on pace to dance this year.
And I am starting to believe we will be mentioned or talked about selection Sunday. Unfortunately it may be in the category as a "bad loss" for Cincinnati.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Are we actually talented? Like are the players we have actually good compared to what everyone keeps saying?

Iverson sucks, Hassan really doesn't have a post up / back to the basket game, EC isn't athletic anymore and just chucks up 3s, Jarvis just doesn't do anything anymore.

I just don't like we actually are as talented as we have been made out to be.
2 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Some people simply cannot see the forest for the trees.....

This is an epic fail...not just tonight.....and it's in progress......

By the end of this season DH will have failed to make the dance again......and he won't as long as he's here......the signs have been there for quite a while.

Incredible disappointment.....seriously.

15, we aren't as talented as hyped for sure...and neither is the coach. It really sucks.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:Are we actually talented? Like are the players we have actually good compared to what everyone keeps saying?

Iverson sucks, Hassan really doesn't have a post up / back to the basket game, EC isn't athletic anymore and just chucks up 3s, Jarvis just doesn't do anything anymore.

I think, "is this team any better than last year's?" might be a legit question...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote:Are we actually talented? Like are the players we have actually good compared to what everyone keeps saying?

At one point we had four players averaging double figures. Before Hassan was hurt he averaged 16 a game with no three point shots attempted. There's talent, it just dissolves and I don't know why.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:

At one point we had four players averaging double figures. Before Hassan was hurt he averaged 16 a game with no three point shots attempted. There's talent, it just dissolves and I don't know why.
Averaging double figures does not equal talent.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:

Cmon on now lol, we have two former first and second team all conference players and a first team all defense, JT has lots of tallent as well, in done dishing out stats but you can't say there's no talent here.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....there's talent.....individually in a punt, pass and kick skills competition maybe....Cohesive collective meshed basketball team talent?......I gotta say no, not now, something to change that....coaching maybe....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's literally worse than we could really reasonably expect out of these guys. It's unbelievable how we have such problems. Seems mostly to do with our collective weak mindedness.
It's crazy.
Now I'm a Tennessee Vols football fan and we had really high expectations like Rhody basketball. And I was sure we would be good... and then just about the worst I could possibley expect happened regardless of the talent we still sucked.
So when Rhody basketball came around I was like, will they find a way to completely squander their talent like Tennessee did and perform weeelllllll below expectations? I thought now way could both of my fuckin teams do that.
SURE ENOUGH they have!
Fuckin ridiculous.
I won't give up until we are officially eliminated, but failure this season is quite the blow to the fan base, the players assistant coaches and Dan Hurley. A massive failure. How much longer can we Rhody folks take this unending assault of dissappointment?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

There is obviously talent, but the talent is not as high as it was talked up to be in the preseason.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

For a 50 year fan, I really thought, along with just about everybody else here, that we had found the guy who would at least bring us back to the excitement of watching our name called on Selection Sunday.....maybe not Elite Eight level, or consistently dancing, but at least once in a while...I know how hard it is for a school like Rhody to be anything more than that.....

But damn it, we aren't even as close to dancing after 5 years of DH as we were a couple of times when JB was here......and that's a shock......

We're going to have to start over again....at least the program's in better shape than it was a few years ago.

Some day, it will happen for us. I just hope that Thorr and Dooley don't let another Baron happen when it comes to hanging on to a coach too long.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I don't know what to say after watching that game. Total disaster. I suppose if you want to write it off, like TP, you can, but what would make anyone think we are getting better? What makes anyone think we are going to go on some 10 game winning streak? Why? How? Are we going to suddenly play good D? Is there suddenly going to be better ball movement on offense? Less stupid fouls? Are we miraculously going to start running, and playing aggressive D? Trapping? Pressing? We are out there with 4 guards, yet not even utilizing their skills. Playing them in half-court sets. It makes no sense. This team is barely worth watching. Sorry I feel that way but it is what it is. They can keep their season tickets too.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:
Cmon on now lol, we have two former first and second team all conference players a first team all defense, JT has lots of tallest, in done dishing out stats but you can't say there's no talent here.
They may have even more talent than last year, but, is the 'team' really any better?
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

"Iverson sucks, Hassan really doesn't have a post up / back to the basket game, EC isn't athletic anymore and just chucks up 3s, Jarvis just doesn't do anything anymore.

I think these a valid points/good observations. I don't think KI sucks. Granted he has played extremely inconsistently and when he is bad, he is bad. He or they all definitely have talent, but not to the degree I thought or had hoped. Plus they don't seem to mesh at all many times.

In regards to Hassan, love his time here. Great rebounder, shot blocker, a beast at times. But I thought his offense would have come along much further than it has. It leads me to a couple other thoughts or questions. I have often wondered how Hassan may have developed offensively under another coach. Not sold on this staff's ability to develop players to the fullest. I actually have often asked the question is what could Ed Cooley have done with Hassan's offense? He seemed to help Kadeem Batts and obviously Ben Bentil at PC. And now this kid Young and Holt seem to have some type of post game.
Then the other thing I often wonder is , though I think Dan has done a very good job recruiting here, I question why any big guys would actually want to come here or at least have questions in their minds when you look at the fact that Dan consistently plays 4 guards and doesn't seem to be able to develop big guys. Though he hasn't had many in his defense, not does it seem he has recruited many.
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I do still think we have very talented players, the issue is getting them to play well as a team. I've seen people on here bring up how coaches like Josh Pastner, Travis Ford, and Rick Barnes can recruit well but can't get the most out of their players. That's how I feel about Hurley. The players he's brought in are on average higher rated than Baron's recruits and are probably above average for the a10 but they can't seem to put it all together as a team.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I have to admit that all day I really wasn't excited to attend this game. Figure, oh it's another game we'll win and we got go through 6 or 7 more of these games before we get another chance to prove something. Add that to the fact that students are still on break and the result is zero energy. I'm sure the players and coaches felt the same way. Human nature. I don't think we need to blow everything up. But I am sticking with my thoughts about the best plus/minus unit being our best lineup and that lineup of JT, EC, SR, KI and CL was not used at all tonight.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'm as pissed as everyone here, it's great to blow off steam on this board at least. I'm headed to the Umass game regardless of tonight's performance, will be interesting.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote:I don't know what to say after watching that game. Total disaster. I suppose if you want to write it off, like TP, you can, but what would make anyone think we are getting better? What makes anyone think we are going to go on some 10 game winning streak? Why? How? Are we going to suddenly play good D? Is there suddenly going to be better ball movement on offense? Less stupid fouls? Are we miraculously going to start running, and playing aggressive D? Trapping? Pressing? We are out there with 4 guards, yet not even utilizing their skills. Playing them in half-court sets. It makes no sense. This team is barely worth watching. Sorry I feel that way but it is what it is. They can keep their season tickets too.
Yeah...and my favorite four guard act...is the one where they have the one big guy they have on the floor holding or, even better, sometimes dribbling, the ball 10-15 feet over the top of the key...that one's a winner every time.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm sure the 4 guards playing are at least partially because of Hassan's health......but again, that's on Dan.....no depth.

The excuse train has run off the tracks imo.

Everything that can go wrong, has gone wrong.

21377, good post.....the talent we do have is being wasted big time.

There is no cohesiveness, no continuity.......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

giovanni wrote:Only lost by 12? You did watch the game I know.
I thought this might cause confusion because our fan base is obviously not smart, and thought about explaining it but didn't want to step on my own joke.

I was saying the team "only" lost a game, compared to this board which lost its collective mind. Not that we "only" lost the game by 12. I wasn't defending the performance in the game, which I have said repeatedly was putrid and embarrassing.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
giovanni
Carlton Owens

josephski wrote:

I do still think we have very talented players, the issue is getting them to play well as a team. I've seen people on here bring up how coaches like Josh Pastner, Travis Ford, and Rick Barnes can recruit well but can't get the most out of their players. That's how I feel about Hurley. The players he's brought in are on average higher rated than Baron's recruits and are probably above average for the a10 but they can't seem to put it all together as a team.

Just have to say, I don't think I would link or compare Rick Barnes to Josh Pastner or Travis Ford. Yeah the guy have never won it all, but he has won over 500 games, been to a final 4, at least a couple of elite 8s and probably close to 20 tournaments.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

The frustrating part is the lack of adjustments especially on defense. All year other guards have beaten our guards to the paint.. A lot has been covered up by hass's shot blocking ability. Unfortunately he is not 100% so what has Hurley done to adjust or change things up zilch!!!! Offensively they want to run but to do this you need to get steals and or be a superior rebounding team. Not happening with 3 and 4 guard offense. Unless defense improves drastically we will be a middle of pack a10 team. Also you would think a 3 or 4 guard team would handle the ball and shoot free throws well. Again weaknesses. Sorry gang think this team has too many flaws and was highly over hyped..would love to see Cyril and hass play together control boards and try to get transition game going
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:
I thought this might cause confusion because our fan base is obviously not smart, and thought about explaining it but didn't want to step on my own joke.

I was saying the team "only" lost a game, compared to this board which lost its collective mind. Not that we "only" lost the game by 12. I wasn't defending the performance in the game, which I have said repeatedly was putrid and embarrassing.

Questioning intelligence of me or this board? Thats right it is a board. We'll see if this team is as good as you think and runs the table. Hope you are correct and that is a very "intelligent" thought
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP still has that habit of putting us down gio.....leopards don't change their spots.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote:I don't know what to say after watching that game. Total disaster.
Agree
I suppose if you want to write it off, like TP, you can, but what would make anyone think we are getting better? What makes anyone think we are going to go on some 10 game winning streak? Why? How? Are we going to suddenly play good D? Is there suddenly going to be better ball movement on offense? Less stupid fouls? Are we miraculously going to start running, and playing aggressive D? Trapping? Pressing?
You say suddenly like we were not just doing those things a week ago. LaSalle isn't appreciably better than St. Louis, and isn't better than St. Joe's. This game tonight had nothing to do with LaSalle and everything to do with us. It was a terrible, embarrassing, dishonorable effort from our guys tonight, but it is taking the fan thing of only-going-off-of-the-last-thing-you-see to the next level to react to it as if it is the only data point that you have on this team. This was the first "bad" game of the year; it wasn't the most disappointing or the one that will hurt our at-large chances the most, but it was our only game that we no-showed. If it is still the only one at the end of the year, I'll take my chances. If there are more of them, then I'll join the pitchfork crew. But one bad game, as humiliating as it was and as painful as it was to watch, doesn't change all that much in the big picture and doesn't fundamentally change who or what this team is.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's hope that this game was an aberration TP.....I don't know how confident you are that it will be......but some of us don't share the optimism.

Other coaches will watch tape of this and make things as tough as possible on us....if Dan can't adjust then there will be more misery.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Questioning intelligence of me or this board? Thats right it is a board. We'll see if this team is as good as you think and runs the table. Hope you are correct and that is a very "intelligent" thought
Another joke. Sorry, man. I am not going at you personally. I thought it was ironic that my first joke about the board not reacting to whatever this mess was tonight in the most thoughtful way being totally misconstrued. So I made another joke about it. I got a chuckle out of it, anyways.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

No problem. I have been watching this team and waiting too long. I tend to get very wound up after a bad loss.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

TruePoint wrote:
UCH21377 wrote:I don't know what to say after watching that game. Total disaster.
Agree
I suppose if you want to write it off, like TP, you can, but what would make anyone think we are getting better? What makes anyone think we are going to go on some 10 game winning streak? Why? How? Are we going to suddenly play good D? Is there suddenly going to be better ball movement on offense? Less stupid fouls? Are we miraculously going to start running, and playing aggressive D? Trapping? Pressing?
You say suddenly like we were not just doing those things a week ago. LaSalle isn't appreciably better than St. Louis, and isn't better than St. Joe's. This game tonight had nothing to do with LaSalle and everything to do with us. It was a terrible, embarrassing, dishonorable effort from our guys tonight, but it is taking the fan thing of only-going-off-of-the-last-thing-you-see to the next level to react to it as if it is the only data point that you have on this team. This was the first "bad" game of the year; it wasn't the most disappointing or the one that will hurt our at-large chances the most, but it was our only game that we no-showed. If it is still the only one at the end of the year, I'll take my chances. If there are more of them, then I'll join the pitchfork crew. But one bad game, as humiliating as it was and as painful as it was to watch, doesn't change all that much in the big picture and doesn't fundamentally change who or what this team is.
TP, I get what you're saying, but this loss accentuates some things that have been bugging me all year (at least me, can't speak for eveyone else):

The defense is not nearly as good as advertised. Valpo, then PC, then Houston, then Dayton exposed it; now Lasalle.
The offense has been improving, but tonight was a huge step in the worng direction. Jarvis and EC are dribbling machines and IMO the main problem.
Where is the pressing defense and running offense we were promised before the season began? Their full court D is passive and useless.
If you are going to play 4 guards, which I am OK with, then IMO you need to open up the floor, get aggressive on D, loosten up the offense, play fast and loose. Watching Oakland (of all teams) against Valpo opened my eyes. we're missing the boat.

I know I am venting but there are some fundamental problems with the team, that IMO will prevent us from making the tourney this year. It totally sucks, but it is what it is.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:
Agree
i don't think you're giving La Salle enough credit. Saint Louis is the worst team we've played all year, worse than both Dartmouth and Marist so yes, La Salle is appreciably better than St. Louis. At this point we're grasping on to the Cincy win as the one game keeping us relevant in the tournament discussion. Other than that game we're 1-4 against teams in the 51-100 rpi range and there's a very good chance that one win (St Joes) could end up outside the top 100.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I am not giving LaSalle much credit. If we had played any of the other 15 games we had played previously tonight, we'd have won the game without much stress. That's including any of the five losses.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

giovanni wrote:
josephski wrote:

Just have to say, I don't think I would link or compare Rick Barnes to Josh Pastner or Travis Ford. Yeah the guy have never won it all, but he has won over 500 games, been to a final 4, at least a couple of elite 8s and probably close to 20 tournaments.
You're right, probably poor examples because all those guys have at least made the tournament and Rick Barnes did do a lot with the Texas program. My point was more that there are plenty of college coaches out there who can recruit well but aren't able to get the most out of their guys and don't meet expectations.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:I am not giving LaSalle much credit. If we had played any of the other 15 games we had played previously tonight, we'd have won the game without much stress. That's including any of the five losses.
I agree that if we played like we did in the majority of our games we would have beat La Salle. I think you're either really underestimating how good La Salle is or you've forgotten what we looked like in the Brown, Belmont, Holy Cross and William & Mary games. La Salle has a kenpom ranking of 86. Those other teams I listed have kenpom rankings of 270, 114, 200 and 156 respectively and were much closer games than they should have been.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Really don't understand why anyone is losing their minds. This makes it easy. No at large bid. Get better and figure it out by Pittsburgh.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Now at least all the basketball fans feel like we do after every week in the football season.
Maybe it isn't just the coaches that should be under fire. Mr.Thorr should be watching his back.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was just horrible

How about the sequence in the 1h when EC misses 2 layups then Hass misses one too

Miss too many layups and turnovers a recipe that will get you beat
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

rhodywins wrote:Now at least all the basketball fans feel like we do after every week in the football season.
Maybe it isn't just the coaches that should be under fire. Mr.Thorr should be watching his back.
I've suffered through almost 30 years of Rhody Football Games. Any fan like myself who has endured that kind of sports suffering should be given the Medal of Honor. (joking)
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One thing's for sure...Thorr and Dooley are the ones that wanted Dan....at the time it seemed like a coup......he did a great job getting the program back on it's feet...but now they need to recognize that maybe DH has done all he can.....he's overmatched on the sideline.

It's time to start looking for a replacement.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodywins wrote:Now at least all the basketball fans feel like we do after every week in the football season.

You can at least give the hapless football program a pass given their shoestring budget and inadequate facilities. That is not the case with men's hoops. The school built the Ryan Center, pays the head coach well, and flies the team to games on charters. It however does not get a very good return on investment. Smaller schools that have lesser facilities and spend less do more with less.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

You know you're in for a bad game when your 6'9 senior forward just stands and watches the opening tip.
3 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

It's only one game.......thought admittedly a pretty bad show last night.

We turned our 2014-15 season around in dramatic style. Let's do it again.

I could make a long list of strategies that went wrong, but I won't. The coaches and team need to figure it out. Our fans are passionate. The noise from the small crowd, when we started to press with 14 minutes to go showed that.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

"It's only one game.......thought admittedly a pretty bad show last night."

While this statement is true and holds some validity, this is the same thing that gets posted after the Valpo, PC, Houston, Dayton game and now LaSalle. Were are not in the ACC, nor will our reputation of team ever be confused with Kentucky or UCLA, so how many more times can we say, "it's only one". This seems to be the tag linked throughout Dan's era. Somehow, someway, hopefully we will find a way out of this , all of a sudden become the basketball team we had all hoped for and we can just shake our head at this nightmare in March. However, i don't see how. Kudos to those who stay positive and in some cases over the top positive. But after nearly 2 decades of no tournament appearances and many nights throughout that period of ineptitude, we may have a few of the most optimistic people on this board I have ever seen. At times optimism can border the fact of not being able to grip reality. I will be more than happy to post in February or March that I was wrong and give everyone credit. But at this point, I have seen nothing at all that this team can not only play to the potential that I believed they had or to the level of excellent play on a consistent level to the point of doing it for 2 months.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote:You know you're in for a bad game when your 6'9 senior forward just stands and watches the opening tip.
Yea what the f**k was that all about, embarrassment.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This team and coach look absolutely, positively lost.

When the second unit comes in and plays better than the starters, that's a sign that things aren't well with this program.

These guys are upperclassmen.....it's almost like they played like they can't wait to get it over with.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

"I don't know why we thought playing at home was going to be some magic dust where the crowd was going to lead us to victory," said Hurley, whose club dropped to 8-1 in home games this season. "We were flat, and I'm not sure why."

Please tell me Hurley isn't taking a shot at attendance with this quote....

He can't be right? I mean, maybe win a big road game and people will show up???
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhody15 wrote:"I don't know why we thought playing at home was going to be some magic dust where the crowd was going to lead us to victory," said Hurley, whose club dropped to 8-1 in home games this season. "We were flat, and I'm not sure why."

Please tell me Hurley isn't taking a shot at attendance with this quote....

He can't be right? I mean, maybe win a big road game and people will show up???
I dont think so. I think he was referring to the team being overconfident coming in just because they were previously undefeated at home.
1 x