Game 16: LaSalle Thursday Jan 12 @ 7pm CBS Sports Network

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Re: Game 16: LaSalle Thursday Jan 12 @ 7pm CBS Sports Network

Unread post by Spook5365 »

Complaints and random thoughts:

1. Worst effort I've seen in 50 years of watching Including Jerry D. That team sucked, this one doesn't. I always say college players should never be booed but man I felt like it. I really thought a few guys quit out there and still feel that way. I will not mention names.

2. On the plus side, Dan has upped the visibility of the program, recruited well, and built up a great infrastructure going forward. These are things to be thankful for.

3. The coache's stubbornness and inflexibility however will delay his/our development or ultimately lead to downfall. SOMETHING (anything?) needs to change. The starting lineup would be a good place to start. Don't really care who either. But big change may be good.

4. Ive never seen a Hurley practice. While I'm sure they work very hard, do they ever do anything besides play man to man defense? While admirable to try and make the opponent play your game and force your will on them, it ain't working. That game screamed for a zone with a big man in the middle for long periods. Not even a shot blocker, someone to just take up space in the lane.

5. If above is true, do they ever run an offense in practice against anything but man to man? It's been mentioned they have had a couple of good shooting games against zones. OK, but they look at them like it's a calculus problem when I watch them. In their defense they are not alone.

6. Sat next to a stranger who I assumed was given tickets. After listening to my yelling and complaining, he turned to me and said " this team is coached like a high school team". I didn't disagree with him. Speaking of which, I'm really getting tired of the 4 and 5 guard thing. That doesn't work either, at least not for us.

7. How many times when we struggle on offense do I see a once very good penetrate and dish point guard standing on the wing or in the corner doing nothing other than waiting for a shot that's not coming. To me it looks like he is not being allowed to run the team like he did last year.

8. Watch the center for UMASS tomorrow. 6' 10" or whatever and "oversized". He does major damage out there. Sometimes a liability conditioning and speed wise, but he is still effective. And no one can tell me he's better than Layssard or Berry, because no one has seen them enough to be able to comment on that. Wasted season for Layssard and Berry.

9. I see and have heard Hurley yelling at the players to run, and go go go. Yet they don't. This mystery I can't answer, everyone says kids want to play fast and loose. Ours don't?????

10. Win or lose, and at this point I don't care it doesn't matter. The effort and eyeball test tomorrow should tell us everything we need to know about the coach and players.

11. Did I see or not see Dan say Hassan was healed and cleared to play. Does he look healed to anyone? Also said he needs to be managed. That did not look like something that can be managed or is getting better, he looks injured.

12. We are soooo easy to play against. Play any zone for defense, drive the lane repeatedly on offense to score and/or draw fouls. Over and over and over and nothing will change. Nothing.
1 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

1st time in 5 yrs that I saw Dan sit. Not even in games where we blew people out.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I can't find much to disagree with in your post, but I especially agree with points 6 and 8.
Spook5365 wrote:
6. Sat next to a stranger who I assumed was given tickets. After listening to my yelling and complaining, he turned to me and said " this team is coached like a high school team". I didn't disagree with him. Speaking of which, I'm really getting tired of the 4 and 5 guard thing. That doesn't work either, at least not for us.

8. Watch the center for UMASS tomorrow. 6' 10" or whatever and "oversized". He does major damage out there. Sometimes a liability conditioning and speed wise, but he is still effective. And no one can tell me he's better than Layssard or Berry, because no one has seen them enough to be able to comment on that. Wasted season for Layssard and Berry.
As I've said before, in year 5 if you can't find two decent forwards to be on the floor at crunch time, something is very wrong and if DH thought his big plan to take CBB by storm was to out guard forwards with guards, please help us. Coach has been trying to load up on 'athletes' and mash them all into his system. I hope this next fear is just that, I hope the players are not losing faith in the coaching, one of my favorite things about this team is how close they seem to be with each other.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Any time you have the ball in transition with the defense running back or even better backpeddling you push. At times this club pulls up and goes into three man weave drill.

It's maddening......especially with athletes and the open court skills we have.

I expect it will change tomorrow afternoon. Boy I hope so.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Speaking of coaches who some people feel should be on the hot seat--how about Bob McKillop of Davidson? Clearly one of the most respected coaches in the country lost to lowly Fordham the other night at HOME. Davidson was picked to be one of the top 3-4 teams in the A-10 and lost to one of the 2 worst teams in the conference. Just imagine if something like that happened around here........
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

eli#10 wrote:Speaking of coaches who some people feel should be on the hot seat--how about Bob McKillop of Davidson? Clearly one of the most respected coaches in the country lost to lowly Fordham the other night at HOME. Davidson was picked to be one of the top 3-4 teams in the A-10 and lost to one of the 2 worst teams in the conference. Just imagine if something like that happened around here........

Given how many times he has brought Davidson to the NCAA, I would give him a pass on this season. He has demonstrated that he can get it done and I would fully expect him to do it again.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

eli#10 wrote:Speaking of coaches who some people feel should be on the hot seat--how about Bob McKillop of Davidson? Clearly one of the most respected coaches in the country lost to lowly Fordham the other night at HOME. Davidson was picked to be one of the top 3-4 teams in the A-10 and lost to one of the 2 worst teams in the conference. Just imagine if something like that happened around here........
Just beat VCU. Extend him!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
Just beat VCU. Extend him!
And there you go, McKillop and Davidson hand VCU their 1st A10 loss 69-63.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote:We have had some good shooting nights against a zone before, SLU and St. Joe come to mind although I'm not sure how much zone either opponent used to be honest, but anybody that does anything but zone against us to start every game from here on is just stupid in my opinion. Hero ball against a zone? One on four in the paint? You get missed layups, blocked shots, and TurnOvers with a capital TO baby! Why no timeouts called when we were in the middle of the 7:00 scoreless draught? 18-2 run...

Wake the heck up!!!

I honestly predicted it was going to be the start of a 20-game win streak. Ask Jay.

WAKE UP!!!
There were 2 Time Outs during the LaSalle run. The first called by Hurley, the 2nd an automatic TV Time Out

@ 15:09 in 1st half score was 11-9 LaSalle
@ 14:00 score was 17-11 LaSalle
@ 11:30 score was 24-11 LaSalle. Rhode Island called Time Out......because there was no stop in play the TV Time Out due at the 12 minute mark was not being called so Hurley had to call it with the score
@ 7:46 score was 27-11 LaSalle. The TV Time Out due at the 8 minute mark was called at stoppage of play
@ 7:17 score was 29-11 LaSalle

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400918403
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:rr timeouts get called when it's time for adjustments.....we don't make any so DH doesn't......and people used to complain about Al not calling TO's....

clueless....just clueless
Not true Rambone.
During the 18-2 run by LaSalle...........

There were 2 Time Outs during the LaSalle run. The first called by Hurley, the 2nd an automatic TV Time Out

@ 15:09 in 1st half score was 11-9 LaSalle
@ 14:00 score was 17-11 LaSalle
@ 11:30 score was 24-11 LaSalle. Rhode Island called Time Out......because there was no stop in play the TV Time Out due at the 12 minute mark was not being called so Hurley had to call it with the score
@ 7:46 score was 27-11 LaSalle. The TV Time Out due at the 8 minute mark was called at stoppage of play
@ 7:17 score was 29-11 LaSalle

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400918403
0 x