Game 16: LaSalle Thursday Jan 12 @ 7pm CBS Sports Network

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Re: Game 16: LaSalle Thursday Jan 12 @ 7pm CBS Sports Network

Unread post by KMar970 »

robinson should not be shooting a 3
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

section(105) wrote:......TP......they are not a good team.....they are something else......
No offense, but that's a dumb take. It's understandable and I'm sure the result of a lot of emotion. But even in the games they've lost, they've been good every game this year. Not good enough on occasion, but this is their first bad game. You play 16 games and one bad doesn't make you bad. They are a good team, and they've played an atrocious game tonight.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rhodyruckus wrote:
rambone 78 wrote: rhodyruckus...sorry to disagree but with the talent here we could and can do a lot better...if it takes another couple of years to get on track with a new coach...so be it...anything is better than watching this coach piss it all away.

Preston Murphy...URI turns it's lonely eyes to you.......
What I'm saying is:
A) Hurley is a very good recruiter at an A10 level, I think we can all agree on this. Even if we get a better in-game coach, I don't think the next coach can recruit as well as Hurley's staff, leading to...
B) Looking at how URI has been "thinking small" in the athletic department, if Hurley is run out prematurely how do we know the next coaching search won't be done with a fraction of the salary Dan made? We can try our hand at a low major up and comer but could be in the same position as now in 5 years when the new guy's flaws are exposed.

I'm not saying wait 5 more years like CFL, but I think a fully informed decision is still 1-2 years away...
point A is simple. Hire Preston Murphy
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

zero fast break points in the game. From the team whose school invented the Fast Break.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

odds are fine.

This isn't a huge deficit.

Put Martin in and tell him who cares if you foul out.

That is if he is healthy.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....... TP, good teams do not continue to give up those negatives......mid pack A-10 teams do that....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

14 with 8 min left is not impossible
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hire someone that can wake these guys up!
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Fuckin helllll get a stop
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Announcer says, "trying to find the flow in their half court offense". We've been trying to do that for 15 years.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't even know what that means "give up those negatives." If good teams don't ever lose, then there are no good teams. I don't know what you want me to say. My opinion of this game is that it sucks and that it changes my outlook for the rest of the season. But I've always felt this was a good team that has let too many opportunities slip away, and putting up a dud like this reinforces that feeling. It doesn't change it.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

done pissed talk to u all sunday
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

How many put back dunks have they had?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

PeterRamTime wrote:How many put back dunks have they had?
Not sure how many put back dunks they've had but I think they've had 6 open dunks total. We've had 0.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote:I don't even know what that means "give up those negatives." If good teams don't ever lose, then there are no good teams. I don't know what you want me to say. My opinion of this game is that it sucks and that it changes my outlook for the rest of the season. But I've always felt this was a good team that has let too many opportunities slip away, and putting up a dud like this reinforces that feeling. It doesn't change it.
I don't want or expect you to say anything.....unless you are compelled.....URI is not a good team.....disagree if you like....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
giovanni
Carlton Owens

4 and 5 guard teams typically don't do that well when they can't shoot or score the ball.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

If I were on this team I probably would have been ejected by now. Either throwing a chair or punching somebody...
I would at the very least have cussed my team out.
0 x
RamFaninSF
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamFaninSF »

Haven't been able to watch/keep up with the game, but that said how you let a team go on a 22-6 run on your home court before calling a TO is beyond awful.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
point A is simple. Hire Preston Murphy
It's that easy? Well you have me sold! Nevermind that Preston has zero HEAD coaching experience. Hey he could be the second coming and I'd be ecstatic, but do you want to gamble an x-year rebuilding period on it when Dan is this close to getting us dancing? I'm just not seeing the dead end a la CFL that many of you are seeing.
1 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

We need to play more guards. Four at a time isn't enough.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....any post game presser from Coach.....?.....home game.....loss, probably not....why?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I don't even know what that means "give up those negatives." If good teams don't ever lose, then there are no good teams. I don't know what you want me to say. My opinion of this game is that it sucks and that it changes my outlook for the rest of the season. But I've always felt this was a good team that has let too many opportunities slip away, and putting up a dud like this reinforces that feeling. It doesn't change it.
I don't want or expect you to say anything.....unless you are compelled.....URI is not a good team.....disagree if you like....
We can agree that they were not a good team tonight.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote:
I don't want or expect you to say thing.....unless you are compelled.....URI is not a good team.....disagree if you like....
wait a second.some already have a banner made for the NCAAT appearance. 10-6. Yeah that record is a tourney team.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

13-5...14-4....15-3......sorry guys.....not going to happen...tonight just reinforces it....I'm not happy about this, just so you all know.....I hoped we would be better than this.....but the reality is, no matter what our talent level is, it's not being realized by the current coach......

And yes, the season isn't over...but in my mind it is....and a lot of you have to deal with the fact that this coach isn't the answer.

It's just a matter of time before Hurley is out of here.......forced out or leaves on his own...whatever.....the sooner the better.

rhodyruckus...you think Dan is this close to us dancing? Seriously?

We will NOT be on the bubble or anywhere close to it by March.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Like I keep saying, look at our record and or wins, we're not bad just impossible to not punch a wall after watching once in a while.
2 x
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What a stinker...beyond pissed.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I hope DH gives a lot of credit to LaSalle bc they showed up and kicked our butts and URI just took it and showed no fight.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Heading over to Baron 2.0...
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Boooooooooooooooooo
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

At this point the NIT doesn't even look good.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

section(105) wrote:......TP......they are not a good team.....they are something else......
I agree. The players have been over hyped. Look at last year's results and add EC back in who was a big question mark coming off his injury. EC is not a good player this year. He has had more below average halfs than above average halfs.

These players were 3 star recruits. The two transfers came because they weren't getting playing time on a better team. There was a reason for that - they weren't as good as their rating and had a major hole in their game.

Most games the other team's PG is better than Jarvis and he can't stop them defensively.

We don't have players that are good outside shooters.
We only have one good defensive player in our starting line up.
Hass is definitely hurt.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We're definitely showing improvement as the season goes on. That's what Hurley teams do.

Oh wait........
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Hey guy don't you know guards are like cowbells.... "n e e d m o r e"
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

rambone 78 wrote:13-5...14-4....15-3......sorry guys.....not going to happen...tonight just reinforces it....I'm not happy about this, just so you all know.....I hoped we would be better than this.....but the reality is, no matter what our talent level is, it's not being realized by the current coach......

And yes, the season isn't over...but in my mind it is....and a lot of you have to deal with the fact that this coach isn't the answer.

It's just a matter of time before Hurley is out of here.......forced out or leaves on his own...whatever.....the sooner the better.

Jesus christ will you stop being a drama queen?! Nobody denies tonight was shitty but to assert we are nowhere close, I guess you didn't see the bracketology dated today where we were shown in the dance as a 10 seed? And you don't read Ken Pomeroy where we were ranked like the 34th team going into today?

I mean this was a crushing defeat which may take us off track but to say we are nowhere close is disingenuous.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Russell at this point looks like he'll be a lot better than the PG's we have......that's if DH is still here next season.

Of course some of the players we have, have been overhyped to the max.

ruckus, do you really believe that bullshit? We are nowhere close. We proved it tonight.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I definitely over rated this team and also the mental aspect it takes to be successful. But I still believe they are a very talented A 10 level team. At the risk of getting clobbered by Dan's fan club, would love to see what this team could do with an experience coach who knows Xs and Os
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote:.....any post game presser from Coach.....?.....home game.....loss, probably not....why?
I stand corrected...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

gio, you read my mind.......
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyruckus wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:13-5...14-4....15-3......sorry guys.....not going to happen...tonight just reinforces it....I'm not happy about this, just so you all know.....I hoped we would be better than this.....but the reality is, no matter what our talent level is, it's not being realized by the current coach......

Jesus christ will you stop being a drama queen?! Nobody denies tonight was shitty but to assert we are nowhere close, I guess you didn't see the bracketology dated today where we were shown in the dance as a 10 seed? And you don't read Ken Pomeroy where we were ranked like the 34th team going into today?

I mean this was a crushing defeat which may take us off track but to say we are nowhere close is disingenuous.
Um..."off track"?? seriously??? "Off track" is about as kind as an imagination could possibly allow.
This was an end to end freekn mess.... - m-e-s-s...flat out horrible. Waaay out played by a team that had less overall talent....
I don't know how anyone can stand this up as even a 'possible' tourney team. Gross.....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, some will go down with the ship all the way to the bottom......it's what they do.

until we are eliminated in the A10T.......
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote:
section(105) wrote:.....any post game presser from Coach.....?.....home game.....loss, probably not....why?
I stand corrected...
Surprised too. Dan did handle press conference as well as I think he could , with what happened out there tonight. Not he could have said much else if he wanted to be reasonable. Ironic little tidbit, Dan was asked if he could see anything in this weeks practices that would have indicated they would play like this. Dan said no , there was nothing. Ironically I heard Jim Calhoun mention something tonight that some of his teams best games came on the heels of some awful practices and vice versa.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

....the defense calling card for us is not....now what?.....change starting lineup, change sub rotations, change defenses, changes of what?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well there were no adjustments made......to try and change things once things started going bad.....

That might have helped stem the tide earlier, no? Maybe given them a chance to get back in the game?

Bad offense and bad defense together....rarely does that happen with Dan's teams...but tonight it happened.

These are the same players who have at least played generally very good defense during their time here....something is seriously wrong in River City.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Not that this would turn things around, but would it hurt to try to play Hassan and Cyril together at some point in game? Try to play 3 forwards with Iverson, perhaps attempt a zone?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:point A is simple. Hire Preston Murphy
Rhodymob05 wrote:Hire someone that can wake these guys up!
section(105) wrote:.....URI is not a good team.....
rambone 78 wrote:And yes, the season isn't over...but in my mind it is....and a lot of you have to deal with the fact that this coach isn't the answer.

Rhodysk wrote:At this point the NIT doesn't even look good.
Rhody83 wrote:These players were 3 star recruits. The two transfers came because they weren't getting playing time on a better team. There was a reason for that - they weren't as good as their rating and had a major hole in their game.

We don't have players that are good outside shooters.
We only have one good defensive player in our starting line up.
rambone 78 wrote:Russell at this point looks like he'll be a lot better than the PG's we have......that's if DH is still here next season. ed. note: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We are nowhere close. We proved it tonight.
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: I don't know how anyone can stand this up as even a 'possible' tourney team. Gross.....
The only group with a more embarrassing performance tonight than the Rhody Basketball Rams is this message board. URI only lost by 12 to a bad team on their home floor. Many here lost their goddamn minds, which seems worse (and this is only from this page!).
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Team that was sposed to be Top 25...lost to a bad team on their home floor. How does that even happen? Question on B 2.0....
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

giovanni wrote:Not that this would turn things around, but would it hurt to try to play Hassan and Cyril together at some point in game? Try to play 3 forwards with Iverson, perhaps attempt a zone?
As much as I would desire to see those changes, I just do not see it happening as we will probably expect the same starting players, same basic defense, no real adaptation other than asking more effort from the current group, with slight emphasis on the UMass tendencies which will most likely have little effect....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

rambone 78 wrote:Well there were no adjustments made......to try and change things once things started going bad.....

That might have helped stem the tide earlier, no? Maybe given them a chance to get back in the game?

Bad offense and bad defense together....rarely does that happen with Dan's teams...but tonight it happened.

These are the same players who have at least played generally very good defense during their time here....something is seriously wrong in River City.
Huh ?? We've been a below average defensive team since Dan's been here. His first team was probably the best defensive team we've had and they weren't even his players.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:
giovanni wrote:Not that this would turn things around, but would it hurt to try to play Hassan and Cyril together at some point in game? Try to play 3 forwards with Iverson, perhaps attempt a zone?
As much as I would desire to see those changes, I just do not see it happening as we will probably expect the same starting players, same basic defense, no real adaptation other than asking more effort from the current group, with slight emphasis on the UMass tendencies which will most likely have little effect....
Well said....same same same.....
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Only lost by 12? You did watch the game I know. Do you think the score did that game and performance justice? Every time URI loses( and it seems very constant against any type of good or decent competition), at that point there is without a doubt quite a bit of criticism on this board. To which some come and hop on and have a lot of criticism of the "negative" posters and have very little criticism of the team. Their answer continues to be, now we left ourselves very little margin for error. If we go 14 and 2 we should be all set. Well, I hope more than anyone this team goes undefeated the rest of the year. But I would ask you, what has this team done to indicate to you that it has the potential to dominate the rest of the league season? Is it the hype that we have gotten and many of us bought? Is it that we destroyed a St Joes team who had just lost their best player? We are 2 and 2 in the league and have only played 1 game vs a presumed top tier team, who was also without their leading scorer and beat us. I think its a pretty big assumption to think this team can come close to running the table. I hope I'm wrong, but I have seen zero indicators that this team has that type of capability.
2 x