Game 16: LaSalle Thursday Jan 12 @ 7pm CBS Sports Network

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: Game 16: LaSalle Thursday Jan 12 @ 7pm CBS Sports Network

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i apologize but i am too aggravated to read all the posts after this debacle

one question: what did dan say after the game to the public ?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i apologize but i am too aggravated to read all the posts after this debacle

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When the coach doesn't know why they were flat.....things are pretty bad.

Overconfident? They should have snapped out of that really early and didn't......excuses everywhere!

They weren't ready to play from the tip...and they obviously weren't prepared from the staff....and during the first half no adjustments were even attempted.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I don't blame Dan entirely for saying he doesn't know, if you watched the game, it was explainable as to why EC missed layups, or threw an extremely lazy pass, or why Iverson didn't even jump at the tip-off, or why Garrett was non-existent. Weird game. Duke didn't even play us that tough.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote:i apologize but i am too aggravated to read all the posts after this debacle

Here you go ECR,

"You shouldn't see that product from a Rhode Island basketball team," Hurley said. "And that starts with me."

"I don't know why we thought playing at home was going to be some magic dust where the crowd was going to lead us to victory," said Hurley, whose club dropped to 8-1 in home games this season. "We were flat, and I'm not sure why."

We didn't attack the game with any ferocity," Hurley said. "That's two games in a row where we were really soft defensively."

"I'm concerned overall about our starting guard play," Hurley said. "I thought Jeff was our most composed guard."

"We all watched the UMass-Dayton game yesterday," said Hurley, referencing the 67-55 surprise sprung by the Minutemen on the Flyers in Amherst. "We know what's coming in here Sunday."
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Just going to leave this little nugget of theory here: has anyone noticed that the assistants sit in different spots depending the game. I've read that some schools do this but it has to do with who the lead coach scouting the next opponent so every detail is covered... last night Jim Carr was in the first seat. Did Jim Carr not prepare correctly to then give Danny the right info to prepare this team? Just a theory and something to pay attention to as the season progresses.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NorthernRamFan wrote:Just going to leave this little nugget of theory here: has anyone noticed that the assistants sit in different spots depending the game. I've read that some schools do this but it has to do with who the lead coach scouting the next opponent so every detail is covered... last night Jim Carr was in the first seat. Did Jim Carr not prepare correctly to then give Danny the right info to prepare this team? Just a theory and something to pay attention to as the season progresses.
If I remember right from the Monday Night Hurley Show, ARD had the scouting for LaSalle. This was the night Dowtin and ARD were guests.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Amari Stukes triples his PPG average (was averaging 7) and gets a Career High with 22 points on 4-6 FG and 13-14 FTs. We hit 12-19 FTs so Stukes by himself exceeded our entire team 13-12 :(

Early in game I saw Stukes drive by Garrett. JG lets him go expecting Martin or Iverson to stop Stukes. Martin had 2 blocks, 2 rebounds, 2 points, 4 fouls in only 15 minutes. So, did last year and the year before, Garrett get beaten by his man and Martin covered his sins? I honestly can't remember. Stukes is 6'2", he owned Garrett last night, just like Scootchie Smith did in the Dayton game. So is this year different, since Martin's injury, that Martin can't cover up for JG? It would appear that the opposing coaching staffs are directing their PG to take JG off the dribble. We definitely saw that at Dayton when Miller had the 4 guys go deep into the 4 corners and JG was left with Scootchie about 5 feet beyond the top of the key and and Smith then took him 1 on 1. Smith had a huge night. Stukes did not get the same clear out strategy but he did drive the lane a lot and we had to foul him a lot as 14 FT attempts would indicate.

If this is the case then Kellogg is likely to have Pipkins do the same.

My guess is Dowtin starts against UMASS. Dowtin went 4-10 and 3-6 on 3FGs for 11 points. Played 22 minutes but had 4 fouls. He only had 1 assist but often penetrated the lane and dished out to open guys at the 3 point line, problem is even though nice passes to open guys they must hit the shot for an assist to be allocated :( :(

Robinson played 21 minutes but fouled out. He was 4-8 and 2-4 on 3FGs for 10 points. 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 rebounds.

Both Robinson and Dowtin led the team with 4 FGs each. Terrell was only 3-14 on 1-7 for 3FGs. Mathews was 3-10 on 2-7 on 3FGs.

I said over a month ago the ball moves better with Dowtin and Robinson in the game, this becomes more apparent every game. It's becoming time for Dowtin, Robinson or both to be in the starting line up.

Offensive statistics aside, we must stop the PG for the opposition defensively. Dowtin starting vs UMASS? That's my guess. Also possible Robinson starts at PG. Something has to change.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Martyf250
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Martyf250 »

Do we know why Iverson never jumped for the opening tip????
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......from my seat directly behind the bench, I have observed the scout for the game always sits in the seat close to Dan, the others down a bit, this is always the first seat, as Dan neva sits. Not being in my seat last nite, I cannot say. However over the radio I could hear clearly coach Carr giving instructions to those on the floor.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rambone 78 wrote:One thing's for sure...Thorr and Dooley are the ones that wanted Dan....at the time it seemed like a coup......he did a great job getting the program back on it's feet...but now they need to recognize that maybe DH has done all he can.....he's overmatched on the sideline.

It's time to start looking for a replacement.

Talking only in general terms, is the school even in a position to replace the coach? Wouldn't it involve another buy out?
Two buy outs in a row doesn't make the administration look very good.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Martyf250 wrote:Do we know why Iverson never jumped for the opening tip????
I have no clue but after it happened it look like KI was complaining to the ref about it.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:
ElmCityRhody wrote:i apologize but i am too aggravated to read all the posts after this debacle

Here you go ECR,

"You shouldn't see that product from a Rhode Island basketball team," Hurley said. "And that starts with me."

"I don't know why we thought playing at home was going to be some magic dust where the crowd was going to lead us to victory," said Hurley, whose club dropped to 8-1 in home games this season. "We were flat, and I'm not sure why."

We didn't attack the game with any ferocity," Hurley said. "That's two games in a row where we were really soft defensively."

"I'm concerned overall about our starting guard play," Hurley said. "I thought Jeff was our most composed guard."

"We all watched the UMass-Dayton game yesterday," said Hurley, referencing the 67-55 surprise sprung by the Minutemen on the Flyers in Amherst. "We know what's coming in here Sunday."

thanks ramster

i hope he was extremely pissed during the presser

what a sham
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

ramster wrote:Amari Stukes triples his PPG average (was averaging 7) and gets a Career High with 22 points on 4-6 FG and 13-14 FTs. We hit 12-19 FTs so Stukes by himself exceeded our entire team 13-12 :(

Early in game I saw Stukes drive by Garrett. JG lets him go expecting Martin or Iverson to stop Stukes. Martin had 2 blocks, 2 rebounds, 2 points, 4 fouls in only 15 minutes. So, did last year and the year before, Garrett get beaten by his man and Martin covered his sins? I honestly can't remember. Stukes is 6'2", he owned Garrett last night, just like Scootchie Smith did in the Dayton game. So is this year different, since Martin's injury, that Martin can't cover up for JG? It would appear that the opposing coaching staffs are directing their PG to take JG off the dribble. We definitely saw that at Dayton when Miller had the 4 guys go deep into the 4 corners and JG was left with Scootchie about 5 feet beyond the top of the key and and Smith then took him 1 on 1. Smith had a huge night. Stukes did not get the same clear out strategy but he did drive the lane a lot and we had to foul him a lot as 14 FT attempts would indicate.

If this is the case then Kellogg is likely to have Pipkins do the same.

My guess is Dowtin starts against UMASS. Dowtin went 4-10 and 3-6 on 3FGs for 11 points. Played 22 minutes but had 4 fouls. He only had 1 assist but often penetrated the lane and dished out to open guys at the 3 point line, problem is even though nice passes to open guys they must hit the shot for an assist to be allocated :( :(

Robinson played 21 minutes but fouled out. He was 4-8 and 2-4 on 3FGs for 10 points. 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 rebounds.

Both Robinson and Dowtin led the team with 4 FGs each. Terrell was 3-14 on 1-7 for 3FGs. Mathews was 3-10 on 2-7 on 3FGs.

I said over a month ago the ball moves better with Dowtin and Robinson in the game, this becomes more apparent every game.

Offensive statistics aside, we must stop the PG for the opposition defensively. Dowtin starting vs UMASS? That's my guess. Also possible Robinson starts at PG. Something has to change.
Agree Ramster. We need a reboot; shake-up, whatever you want to call it. And we need it now.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:

Here you go ECR,

I didn't hear this last night. But, I don't see where Dan said anything out of line here. I don' see any excuses here. Quite the opposite. He's being honest saying he just doesn't understand what happened.
My concern is why this happened? Why wasn't this team, collectively, prepared for this game.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Also:
"That was unacceptable. The fans that were here - apologies. You shouldn’t see that product from a Rhode Island basketball team, and that starts with me. That’s Dan Hurley, the coach. I let this whole thing down tonight in that game by not having these guys ready to play emotionally, physically, mentally. We were not ready and that’s the head coach’s fault." - Hurley
Source: http://www.independentri.com/rhody_over ... 05fa0.html
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:I am not giving LaSalle much credit. If we had played any of the other 15 games we had played previously tonight, we'd have won the game without much stress. That's including any of the five losses.
There is a lot wrong with believing this. It's like a team playing the Patriots and then walking away thinking they played their worst game of the season. Well, they made you play your worst game of the season. They took away what you do well. You didn't do anything to adjust. No...it's a much deeper issue than playing bad at the wrong time. Yes, there was sloppy play and missed shots and all that. I honestly thought they'd breeze through this game. But, you could tell pretty early that they they had been out game planned and out coached.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

ramster wrote:
If I remember right from the Monday Night Hurley Show, ARD had the scouting for LaSalle. This was the night Dowtin and ARD were guests.
No ARD said he had UMass
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:Just going to leave this little nugget of theory here: has anyone noticed that the assistants sit in different spots depending the game. I've read that some schools do this but it has to do with who the lead coach scouting the next opponent so every detail is covered... last night Jim Carr was in the first seat. Did Jim Carr not prepare correctly to then give Danny the right info to prepare this team? Just a theory and something to pay attention to as the season progresses.
Yeah no!

ARD laughed and said no I have UMass on Sunday... Jim Carr had last night's scout and dare I say he blew it...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
ramster wrote:
Yeah no!

ARD laughed and said no I have UMass on Sunday... Jim Carr had last night's scout and dare I say he blew it...
Stand corrected, that's why I said "if I remember right". I listened to the show but it's a lot of days ago. So it sounds right then that he scout coach sits next to DH.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

So maybe we shouldn't be calling for Hurley's, but the assistant who set the team up for failure??
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

NorthernRamFan wrote:So maybe we shouldn't be calling for Hurley's, but the assistant who set the team up for failure??
That loss was on both the coaches and players. Maybe Carr didn't come through with the best scouting but there's no excuse for being down 28 at home to a team like La Salle.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NorthernRamFan wrote:So maybe we shouldn't be calling for Hurley's, but the assistant who set the team up for failure??
No, Hurley clearly already took responsibility. A scouting report is a scouting report, an aid.

The big question now is what change or changes does he make. His statement about Jeff being "our most composed guard" is worth noting. Also DH spoke highly of Jeff on the Monday Night Show on which Jeff was a guest. Does he start Sunday? Who knows, but he certainly is earning the right to more and more minutes, as is Robinson.

Hurley post game statements.......
You shouldn't see that product from a Rhode Island basketball team," Hurley said. "And that starts with me."
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I am not giving LaSalle much credit. If we had played any of the other 15 games we had played previously tonight, we'd have won the game without much stress. That's including any of the five losses.
There is a lot wrong with believing this. It's like a team playing the Patriots and then walking away thinking they played their worst game of the season.
I think there is a lot wrong with your analogy. Or maybe you're not comparing the LaSalle Explorers to the New England Patriots and I'm just reading it wrong and totally confused.

People get their shit kicked in by the Patriots because the Patriots are just better than them. But LaSalle is not just better than URI, that's literally my whole point. So it's actually the opposite of what you said.

Good try, though.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Out of all the things I could criticize Dan for, how he handled the press conference is certainly not one. At his presser last night he did take full responsibility and seemed baffled and embarrassed. But with that Jerry D era like performance, I am not sure how any coach could have made excuses in any manner or attempted to deflect responsibility. I certainly have had my reservations about Dan's coaching ability, but also I don't think he has never surrounded himself with a very good staff, especially on the teaching or X and O's part of it. I think we have recruited fine. I , as the vast majority, was thrilled when Danny was hired. After watching him for a couple of years, I had always hoped he could bring on a veteran coach to help groom him and help run the program. Like Gene Keady did at St John's or even Jerry D had Jeff Jones and George Blaney, who IMO are very good basketball minds. I am not comparing Dan or anyone to Jerry D in any way. Even those guys couldn't help the mess that was created here...at all. But the theory was good. One of the things, out of quite a few, I criticized CFL for was his lack of a quality staff. I recall at the time, it was thought JB had an issue or a fear or hiring an assistant that may, in some way outshine him. Instead of doing the intelligent and right thing and gather any help you can get, CFL didn't seem to want to take that route. There is no doubt in my mind CFL had some problem with bringing in better assistants. Example: Pat Clarke. Is is possible Dan has some type of similar issue? Is JIm Carr actually a top notch assistant, or just a wonderful guy? I understand we cannot offer the money that many programs can, but still, there are actually a lot of very good basketball people out there. I am not saying this is the case, I am simply posing the question? And looking for some type of answers as to what is holding back this program to get to the next level, consistently . We have clearly gotten it close, but have not been able to make that last hurdle.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
There is a lot wrong with believing this. It's like a team playing the Patriots and then walking away thinking they played their worst game of the season.
I think there is a lot wrong with your analogy. Or maybe you're not comparing the LaSalle Explorers to the New England Patriots and I'm just reading it wrong and totally confused.

People get their shit kicked in by the Patriots because the Patriots are just better than them. But LaSalle is not just better than URI, that's literally my whole point. So it's actually the opposite of what you said.

Good try, though.
I believe you are way too "intellgent" to be reading it wrong or be confused by the post.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Unless the scouting report told them not to play defense, and to be sloppy on offense, I am not sure how you could pin it on the scouting report.
Last edited by UCH21377 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote:
Unless the scouting report told them not to play defense, and to be sloppy on offense, I have no idea how you could pin it on the scouting report.
Because it's easier and more popular to blame the Coach and the Assistant Coaches than the entire team or specific players on the team.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

And it's always easier to blame a bunch of 19 year old kids than a coach making 7 digits. But I forgot this RI. Oh wait, Dan can't play defense, he can't rebound, he can't hit open 3's , he can't help that his team laid down, he can't make free throws, he doesn't try to dribble between 3 defenders on a consistent basis. I hear that. I'm not sure sure how many people here have ever competed at any type of level higher than a CYO game, but that's not the way it works. While clearly the players are at fault for some things they have done and there are no perfect players. But 18 and 19 yo kids actually need guidance and teaching. When the same thing happens consistently for "only" 5 years, game after game, it is not always the kids. What is the million dollar coach actually responsible for? Kids going to class? That's great, but I think there are a few coaches who can actually do that and also coach basketball and not underachieve every year.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'm a glass half-full type and even I can't find one shred of good about last night. Embarrassing and just god awful, in all facets. Not many times you see a full team of 10+ guys all decide to be awful on the same night. Not one positive, I guess maybe Dowtin, a short stretch by Cyril and Dan taking the blame are the only silver linings if you are forced to find em.

2 of our core guards - JG and EC - are almost liabilities at this point. WTF
Hassan seems to be just about done or at the point where he only will get back to close to 100% with prolonged rest. He is a shell of his former self with no explosiveness. You can tell he is hurting big time.

This could be one of the biggest lost seasons in my 30+ years of watching this team. Vegas rarely, rarely, rarely misreads a game like they did last night -- 12 points favorites to 12 point losers. It takes a special kind of human fluctuation from the norm to result in that.
1 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Just to throw some more gas on the fire - I had DVR'd the game because I was at dinner last night for the start.

WTF - how do we give up 3 dunks on the first 4 possessions of the game ??

Total wasted time for anyone to show up last night and watch in person. I will be there on Sunday for UMASS game - they had better bring the THUNDER or some semblance of a basketball team
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Though I am extremely aggravated and upset with some aspects of Dan's coaching, I am not calling for his head. But for all those who think Dan is Coach K, can you honestly answer the question what you feeling would be if his last name were O'Brien? If his father wasn't a HOF coach? If his brother wasn't a legendary player?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

It's never easy for one person to be the whole front court.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

Good try, though.
Lol. You will do whatever you can to avoid heaping blame on the staff. You are the ultimate Kool-Aid drinker. I know...I know...you said your perfunctory "it was a horrible loss" line or whatever you say. I am not saying LaSalle is as good as the Pats. My point was the Pats win with talent and #12 but they also make you look horrible because the outcoach, outscheme, and out adjust you. To make it look like you played (physically) your worst game of the season. In basketball, physically means things like just missing shots or things where you can play well but have bad outcomes. But, really, this game was much more than that. Make a defensive adjustment. Keep making them! How do you get scorched by a lesser team that only makes five threes? But, keep on convincing yourself that they just played bad.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

How am I avoiding putting blame on the staff? I put blame on the staff and the players for last night. I'm not sure what I've said here that would give anyone a different impression. I don't think it is helpful to inflate how good LaSalle is; I feel like I'm being harder on URI for their effort last night than most here, who are just putting their hands up and saying "oh I guess we actually suck." That's a cop out and it is intellectually lazy.

If Dayton or VCU or Duke had throttled us like this, then those teams I would say have earned a reputation for being talented and well coached enough that you'd tip your cap to them. LaSalle does not qualify for that type of respect, unless you're also arguing that LaSalle is better than Duke. Which, ok die on that hill if you want. I've said a lot more than "it was a horrible loss" and have been critical of both the coaching staff and the players at various points during the season, and both last night. But I don't think I need to come with the wild and hyperbolic takes to prove what a sober and realistic fan I am. I think you're wrong with your point here and I honestly think it's silly to use a team that has maybe the best coach and best player in the history of their sport as a comparison for a team like LaSalle. The Patriots make people feel like they didn't play well because they aren't as good as the Patriots; URI feels like they didn't play well against LaSalle because they didn't play well. Nobody, not even the biggest whiners on the board, thought LaSalle was better than URI before the game. If people are going to change their minds based on only that game, what are they going to think when we beat a UMass team Sunday that is obviously better than Dayton and made Dayton feel like they played a terrible game by pummeling them with their great talent and coaching?
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Martyf250 wrote:Do we know why Iverson never jumped for the opening tip????
I believe because the refs throw was clearly not straight between the two players but thrown over the lasalle player. I think Iverson thought they would rejump.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote:And it's always easier to blame a bunch of 19 year old kids than a coach making 7 digits. But I forgot this RI. Oh wait, Dan can't play defense, he can't rebound, he can't hit open 3's , he can't help that his team laid down, he can't make free throws, he doesn't try to dribble between 3 defenders on a consistent basis. I hear that. I'm not sure sure how many people here have ever competed at any type of level higher than a CYO game, but that's not the way it works. While clearly the players are at fault for some things they have done and there are no perfect players. But 18 and 19 yo kids actually need guidance and teaching. When the same thing happens consistently for "only" 5 years, game after game, it is not always the kids. What is the million dollar coach actually responsible for? Kids going to class? That's great, but I think there are a few coaches who can actually do that and also coach basketball and not underachieve every year.
No, it's both. They all own it players and coaches.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Well, now that I have simmered down after last night, to a point , I can't ignore last night's performance. That is not inevitable for a team striving for tournament and needs every win at this point in the season. Yes it happens, awful performances, but not to teams that want to be considered tourney level teams, at this point in the season. Clearly the players deserve a portion of the blame. Dan has recruited quality and good kids from what I can ascertain, but they are still young men. And believe it or not, to be successful they or players have to rely on a coach and his teachings and leadership. This performance concerns me quite a bit. I do have complaints with Danny and his coaching style, but 2 things I wouldn't complain about is his recruiting, both talent and quality kids, and his ability to get his kids to play extremely hard for him the majority of the time. So , last night , perhaps is more alarming, because, despite the fact we have lost frustrating games and many of them, they are never due to lack of effort or a willingness to win.. Last night was different. So it is even more concerning and alarming.

As far as where the blame should lie, yes, it should be put on everyone involved. For there wasn't one player who had the head in the game. Perhaps Dowtin as BAR said. But with that being said, coaching is a high risk, high reward job. When something isn't working, you have to look at the top. When we win and look good, I read praise to the players and how they performed, but even more so I read posts what a great job Dan is doing. Its part of the business. When things are good, you look like a hero and receive too much credit, By the same token, when things go bad, you may receive too much criticism.

Let us not forget Dan is making a heckuva lot of money to coach basketball. He has gotten salary increases without yet succeeding to the level he is actually being paid to achieve. In the business world, private world, real world, people that take positions of "power" suffer repercussions when they fail to succeed.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Gio, very well put and well thought out.

Also you are very right about the coach's responsibility.

We used to complain all the time about Baron's teams being poor fundamentally. Repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Well last night everyone save Dowtin decided to deliver the worst performance they possibly could.

Dan's teams are showing the same disturbing tendencies...and they are getting worse, not better.

Whatever the staff is "teaching" them isn't getting thru to them. This isn't something that is going to change overnight.

Like you said, it isn't just about missing shots. Piss poor execution, piss poor effort. The perfect storm.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I decided to spend almost 24 hours offline after last nights game. I sat in the second row of the students section for a change last night. I was hoping that by this time I would be a little less upset about how everything went down but I'm still pissed. I think Dan sucks as coach and watched him as he pouted the entire 40 minutes. Myself and the person I was with, along with everyone in the section, could not understand what the offensive plan was at all. The kids just sit there and pass. On the other end, LaSalle was cutting in, passing back out. Looked like an offense with purpose. Our offense got shut down by literally the worst defense in the A-10. The only glimmer was the brief moment of some uptempo but it became clear that LaSalle was out running us.
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

*multiple post
Last edited by BleedBlue87 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BB, what's as bad as the offense was, was the lack of effort on defense.....the one "calling card" that's been fairly consistent during Dan's time here.

That, and the lack of adjustments......

This isn't just a player implosion......and Gio.....where you and I differ is that I think that it's time for Thorr and Dooley to put Dan on notice.....

Those two assumed that Dan would fulfill his promises to win and dance here...and what point do they call him on it?

He's going to get a while longer to turn this around....I don't like it really because I don't think he can.....but how much longer?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The timeout he didn't call early could have helped.

Call the time out. Stop their momentum bc they're on the road. Do some coaching, you know.

6+ scoring drought/deficit should ring in a timeout in the college game.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
BleedBlue87
ARD

Seawrightspostgame wrote:The timeout he didn't call early could have helped.

Call the time out. Stop their momentum bc they're on the road. Do some coaching, you know.

6+ scoring drought/deficit should ring in a timeout in the college game.
Agree 100%
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like that DH took responsibility and put it on himself

Now he needs to make a statement and change the starting lineup
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

We have had some good shooting nights against a zone before, SLU and St. Joe come to mind although I'm not sure how much zone either opponent used to be honest, but anybody that does anything but zone against us to start every game from here on is just stupid in my opinion. Hero ball against a zone? One on four in the paint? You get missed layups, blocked shots, and TurnOvers with a capital TO baby! Why no timeouts called when we were in the middle of the 7:00 scoreless draught? 18-2 run...

Wake the heck up!!!

I honestly predicted it was going to be the start of a 20-game win streak. Ask Jay.

WAKE UP!!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

rr timeouts get called when it's time for adjustments.....we don't make any so DH doesn't......and people used to complain about Al not calling TO's....

clueless....just clueless
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

According to Bill Koch's tweets during the LaSalle game Thursday, the natives are getting restless:

0 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

Complaints and random thoughts:

1. Worst effort I've seen in 50 years of watching Including Jerry D. That team sucked, this one doesn't. I always say college players should never be booed but man I felt like it. I really thought a few guys quit out there and still feel that way. I will not mention names.

2. On the plus side, Dan has upped the visibility of the program, recruited well, and built up a great infrastructure going forward. These are things to be thankful for.

3. The coache's stubbornness and inflexibility however will delay his/our development or ultimately lead to downfall. SOMETHING (anything?) needs to change. The starting lineup would be a good place to start. Don't really care who either. But big change may be good.

4. Ive never seen a Hurley practice. While I'm sure they work very hard, do they ever do anything besides play man to man defense? While admirable to try and make the opponent play your game and force your will on them, it ain't working. That game screamed for a zone with a big man in the middle for long periods. Not even a shot blocker, someone to just take up space in the lane.

5. If above is true, do they ever run an offense in practice against anything but man to man? It's been mentioned they have had a couple of good shooting games against zones. OK, but they look at them like it's a calculus problem when I watch them. In their defense they are not alone.

6. Sat next to a stranger who I assumed was given tickets. After listening to my yelling and complaining, he turned to me and said " this team is coached like a high school team". I didn't disagree with him. Speaking of which, I'm really getting tired of the 4 and 5 guard thing. That doesn't work either, at least not for us.

7. How many times when we struggle on offense do I see a once very good penetrate and dish point guard standing on the wing or in the corner doing nothing other than waiting for a shot that's not coming. To me it looks like he is not being allowed to run the team like he did last year.

8. Watch the center for UMASS tomorrow. 6' 10" or whatever and "oversized". He does major damage out there. Sometimes a liability conditioning and speed wise, but he is still effective. And no one can tell me he's better than Layssard or Berry, because no one has seen them enough to be able to comment on that. Wasted season for Layssard and Berry.

9. I see and have heard Hurley yelling at the players to run, and go go go. Yet they don't. This mystery I can't answer, everyone says kids want to play fast and loose. Ours don't?????

10. Win or lose, and at this point I don't care it doesn't matter. The effort and eyeball test tomorrow should tell us everything we need to know about the coach and players.

11. Did I see or not see Dan say Hassan was healed and cleared to play. Does he look healed to anyone? Also said he needs to be managed. That did not look like something that can be managed or is getting better, he looks injured.

12. We are soooo easy to play against. Play any zone for defense, drive the lane repeatedly on offense to score and/or draw fouls. Over and over and over and nothing will change. Nothing.
0 x