Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Does URI get selected for NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Poll ended at 1 month ago

Yes
37
58%
No
27
42%
 
Total votes: 64

User avatar
section(105)
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2114
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: narragansett
x 150

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby section(105) » 1 month ago

......Jay, my therapist said no more betting.......and ssssssshhhhhh everyone, we passed the 24 hour, and counting, mark without posting on the 2.0........,
1 x

hrstrat57
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1658
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: South County
x 127

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby hrstrat57 » 1 month ago

RJ a 13-2 finish takes the A10 tourney out of play. I have seen every A10 team play this season thanks to my amazing Cox cable sports pkg coverage! Not having an away game against VCU is huge. I don't see Davidson or Richmond on our level but I will give you those 2 losses as stated previously.

There is no team in our league that matches up talent wise with URI except VCU and Dayton if we are healthy.

I am troubled by JG slide backwards. I advocated just a couple weeks ago that Hurley should sit down and give him the keys to the car which it appears he tried to do. He dinged up the car pretty good unfortunately. Only an insider can truly know what's going on there.

We pay our coach a lot of money. He's brought in talent...albeit players with different styles - it is a tough group to get playing together....heck he's talked about it!

I'm confident we are ready to shake out the remaining kinks and roll through conference. We should be 14-1 now....but the team is taking time to gel...

10-5 leaves us no room for further hiccups but we got the talent to roll if healthy. We need to blow through the league. Counting on tourney results....took a 30' shot in 99 to get that bid.

Go Rhody!
0 x
Currently dodging my friartown friends

josephski
ARD
Posts: 624
Joined: 2 years ago
x 136

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby josephski » 1 month ago

RoadyJay wrote:Im tired of this 15-3 talk as the only way we get an at-large bid.

13-5 and one A10 tourney win should give us an RPI of ~30. That will be enough to get us in.

I will bet anyone on this board $5 on the following:

If URI finishes with at 13-5 or better conference record and wins one or two A10 tourney games we will get an at-large bid.

To be clear, if we finish (12-6 or worse) or (13-5 or better and do not win an A10 tournament game) then the bet is cancelled.

Any takers?


13-5 with no wins against Dayton or VCU will probably not get us in. I don't care what the RPI forecast says we'll end up with, we need at the very least one more top 50 win to make the tournament in my opinion.

Either way I voted yes to the poll but that's because I believe we'll beat Dayton and VCU at home. Lose both those games and I don't see us getting in unless maybe we beat one of them in the a10 tournament. In a year where it's a very weak a10 conference and the a10 may only get 2 bids we can't afford to have no wins against the other top a10 teams.
1 x

Da_Process_Survivor
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 404
Joined: 2 years ago
x 164

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby Da_Process_Survivor » 1 month ago

RoadyJay wrote:Im tired of this 15-3 talk as the only way we get an at-large bid.

13-5 and one A10 tourney win should give us an RPI of ~30. That will be enough to get us in.

I will bet anyone on this board $5 on the following:

If URI finishes with at 13-5 or better conference record and wins one or two A10 tourney games we will get an at-large bid.

To be clear, if we finish (12-6 or worse) or (13-5 or better and do not win an A10 tournament game) then the bet is cancelled.

Any takers?



just like it got St Bonaventure in last year?

22-8(14-4)
28 RPI
4-3 vs top 50
7-5 vs top 100

left out in the cold on Selection Sunday
0 x
---
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss....
---

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

DPS, I think if we end up with those Bonnies numbers we'll get in.....but that's the problem....will we do that?

Actually, can we even get 4 top 50 wins? We have one top 25 and only 2 more chances for top 50's...VCU and Dayton.

We would probably need at least one A10T win....which the Bonnies didn't get.

All of these things have to happen....good luck.
0 x

User avatar
Rhodymob05
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1530
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Rhode Island
x 61

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 1 month ago

I voted no, but I would change my vote now to yes, Win out or come close and see what the committee says.

"Over? Did you say “over”? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
1 x
Where is Frank Keaney when you need him?

User avatar
Blue Man
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1948
Joined: 4 years ago
x 453

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby Blue Man » 1 month ago

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:Im tired of this 15-3 talk as the only way we get an at-large bid.

13-5 and one A10 tourney win should give us an RPI of ~30. That will be enough to get us in.

I will bet anyone on this board $5 on the following:

If URI finishes with at 13-5 or better conference record and wins one or two A10 tourney games we will get an at-large bid.

To be clear, if we finish (12-6 or worse) or (13-5 or better and do not win an A10 tournament game) then the bet is cancelled.

Any takers?



just like it got St Bonaventure in last year?

22-8(14-4)
28 RPI
4-3 vs top 50
7-5 vs top 100

left out in the cold on Selection Sunday


St Bonaventure had an SOS of 86, non conference of 70.
Loss to #232 La Salle. Loss to #159 Duquesne, Loss to #102 Siena.
All of their top 25 wins came in conference.
9-1 vs 200+, 4-1 vs 150-199, 3-1 vs 100-149.
Average win 150 average loss 92


As of right now URI's SOS is a 29, non-conference of 36.
No losses to any teams outside of the top 75.
2-1 vs top 50.
Average win 167, average loss 48.

Again. The season is not over. We are not that far off from being an at large team. Cincinnati is a marquee win.
If you want to use some of the "negatives" as positives:

"we can't beat the good teams on the road." OK well considering we just played the one good team on the road on our conference schedule, guess we can settle to beat the other teams.

"we can only win at home." OK we get Dayton, VCU, and Davidson at home. Those W's would help.

I really don't get this contest to see who can be the most negative person here and try to be proven right.

IF we don't make the dance...then yes, at that time, heavy criticism is warranted.

As of right now this board looks like people thought we were supposed to go undefeated this season and win every game by 40 the way some people handle every loss.
7 x
Rhode Island Born
Rhode Island Bred
this team will give me heart attacks
til I'm Rhode Island dead.

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5396
Joined: 4 years ago
x 301

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby ramster » 1 month ago

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:Im tired of this 15-3 talk as the only way we get an at-large bid.

13-5 and one A10 tourney win should give us an RPI of ~30. That will be enough to get us in.

I will bet anyone on this board $5 on the following:

If URI finishes with at 13-5 or better conference record and wins one or two A10 tourney games we will get an at-large bid.

To be clear, if we finish (12-6 or worse) or (13-5 or better and do not win an A10 tournament game) then the bet is cancelled.

Any takers?



just like it got St Bonaventure in last year?

22-8(14-4)
28 RPI
4-3 vs top 50
7-5 vs top 100

left out in the cold on Selection Sunday


DPS,
What was St Bonaventure vs Top 25?
0 x

Da_Process_Survivor
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 404
Joined: 2 years ago
x 164

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby Da_Process_Survivor » 1 month ago

ramster wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:Im tired of this 15-3 talk as the only way we get an at-large bid.

13-5 and one A10 tourney win should give us an RPI of ~30. That will be enough to get us in.

I will bet anyone on this board $5 on the following:

If URI finishes with at 13-5 or better conference record and wins one or two A10 tourney games we will get an at-large bid.

To be clear, if we finish (12-6 or worse) or (13-5 or better and do not win an A10 tournament game) then the bet is cancelled.

Any takers?



just like it got St Bonaventure in last year?

22-8(14-4)
28 RPI
4-3 vs top 50
7-5 vs top 100

left out in the cold on Selection Sunday


DPS,
What was St Bonaventure vs Top 25?


1-1 vs Dayton (25) (as of Selection Sunday, they backdoored into 2 more with St Joes finishing up at 21)
0 x
---
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss....
---

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

Ok, Blue Man.....you got it.....heavy criticism is warranted if we don't dance, you said it.....

So let's see what happens........if we run off a long win streak, then things will look better....if we stumble against any lower end team in the meantime, then it's open season.......

Again I don't think we will have to wait until March to find out if we have any chance.....
0 x

User avatar
Rhodymob05
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1530
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Rhode Island
x 61

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 1 month ago

'"we can only win at home." OK we get Dayton, VCU, and Davidson at home. Those W's would help.'

Enormous games.
1 x
Where is Frank Keaney when you need him?

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7687
Joined: 4 years ago
x 591

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 month ago

First of all, I'd like to thank blue man for his response to dps about this insane comparison to Bonnies last year which has been disproven all 200 times it has been brought up here. Saved me the trouble of typing it again.

Second of all, people (mostly rambone, sorry to name names but it is what it is) talk about the rest of the year and the possibility of finishing at a pretty strong clip (which we will have to do to get to even 13-5, never mind 15-3) like it is the most far fetched thing in the history of basketball. A strong finish down the stretch has always been baked into the projected record and RPI because we know who we are playing and where. We will be favored in every remaining game on the schedule - maybe someone could be a doll and check our record this year in games in which we are favored. The reality is that, as Jay said, 13-5 with one A10T win and you're probably in. And finishing 13-5 from here out will require us to lose FOUR MORE GAMES IN WHICH WE ARE FAVORED in our last fifteen games, something I believe we have only done once through our first fifteen games.

Is it impossible or even hard to believe that we could lose five or even six of those games? No, not really. We've all seen worse rooting for this team so it would be crazy to dismiss the possibility. But that's not likely to happen - the odds are overwhelming that URI will lose four or less games for the rest of the regular season (about 3:1 as of today on rpiforecast).

So people predicting a 1-in-4 outcome and sounding all smug about it like they know something nobody else knows and are so much more realistic and mature than the Pom-pom wavers are actually the ones that either don't know what the hell they are talking about or are too traumatized by things that have happened before but are completely irrelevant to this year to form a cogent opinion.
7 x
A new kinder, gentler TruePoint (maybe)

User avatar
URI2006_Andy
Steve Chubin
Posts: 113
Joined: 1 year ago
x 22

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby URI2006_Andy » 1 month ago

I voted yes but my thinking is a little different.

I think we'll be favorite in every game the rest of the way including for any games we play in the A10 tournament. That being said, it is much harder to win as a favorite when facing coaches and players who are familiar with you than when facing out-of-state non-conference opponents. In line with this, I say we lose 3 head-scratchers. My guess would be at Richmond, at umass, and at George Mason.

Then we got vcu, Davidson and Dayton. Davidson did not impress me at all and I think we sweep them but those wins won't carry much weight as first thought. VCU at home I'm confident will be a win. I don't think they are at the level of uri or Dayton. Leaves one questionable game at home versus Dayton. According to the rpi forecast, my scenario puts at #24 (22-8) with a win or #26 (21-9) a loss. Pretty damn good computer numbers even it's off 10 spots. Plus our kenpom is good. And remember our resume must be looked at in comparison to other bubble teams. We complain that we don't have a good road win. Well, look at the link below and compare uri with other bubble teams. We have a better resume than most (could even argue we deserve to be in over Cincinnati).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... n/RI/CINCY
1 x

Gonebarongone
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1477
Joined: 4 years ago
x 65

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby Gonebarongone » 1 month ago

TruePoint wrote:First of all, I'd like to thank blue man for his response to dps about this insane comparison to Bonnies last year which has been disproven all 200 times it has been brought up here. Saved me the trouble of typing it again.

Second of all, people (mostly rambone, sorry to name names but it is what it is) talk about the rest of the year and the possibility of finishing at a pretty strong clip (which we will have to do to get to even 13-5, never mind 15-3) like it is the most far fetched thing in the history of basketball. A strong finish down the stretch has always been baked into the projected record and RPI because we know who we are playing and where. We will be favored in every remaining game on the schedule - maybe someone could be a doll and check our record this year in games in which we are favored. The reality is that, as Jay said, 13-5 with one A10T win and you're probably in. And finishing 13-5 from here out will require us to lose FOUR MORE GAMES IN WHICH WE ARE FAVORED in our last fifteen games, something I believe we have only done once through our first fifteen games.

Is it impossible or even hard to believe that we could lose five or even six of those games? No, not really. We've all seen worse rooting for this team so it would be crazy to dismiss the possibility. But that's not likely to happen - the odds are overwhelming that URI will lose four or less games for the rest of the regular season (about 3:1 as of today on rpiforecast).

So people predicting a 1-in-4 outcome and sounding all smug about it like they know something nobody else knows and are so much more realistic and mature than the Pom-pom wavers are actually the ones that either don't know what the hell they are talking about or are too traumatized by things that have happened before but are completely irrelevant to this year to form a cogent opinion.


It's probably not going to happen exactly like that but I'd bet $100 that 13-5 and one A10 quarterfinal win does not get Rhody in. If there is one thing that everyone can agree on about the committee, they hate a team that loads up on 20-25 fluffy wins. Especially when they don't get any good ones on the road. As for your other point, the nature of probabilities is such that being favored against Dartmouth/Marist/Brown is different than, say, UMass/LaSalle/Duq. We could be favored by one point in every single remaining game and the chances of going unbeaten are remote. This is the reason we are favored yet kenpom has the finish at 13-5. There were five games against worse than #200 in the OOC. Only one in the conference.
0 x

User avatar
RoadyJay
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1437
Joined: 3 years ago
x 305

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby RoadyJay » 1 month ago

Gonebarongone wrote:
It's probably not going to happen exactly like that but I'd bet $100 that 13-5 and one A10 quarterfinal win does not get Rhody in.


I'll take that bet
4 x

Billyboy78
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7067
Joined: 4 years ago
x 197

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 1 month ago

I think some are underestimating VCU.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7687
Joined: 4 years ago
x 591

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 month ago

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:First of all, I'd like to thank blue man for his response to dps about this insane comparison to Bonnies last year which has been disproven all 200 times it has been brought up here. Saved me the trouble of typing it again.

Second of all, people (mostly rambone, sorry to name names but it is what it is) talk about the rest of the year and the possibility of finishing at a pretty strong clip (which we will have to do to get to even 13-5, never mind 15-3) like it is the most far fetched thing in the history of basketball. A strong finish down the stretch has always been baked into the projected record and RPI because we know who we are playing and where. We will be favored in every remaining game on the schedule - maybe someone could be a doll and check our record this year in games in which we are favored. The reality is that, as Jay said, 13-5 with one A10T win and you're probably in. And finishing 13-5 from here out will require us to lose FOUR MORE GAMES IN WHICH WE ARE FAVORED in our last fifteen games, something I believe we have only done once through our first fifteen games.

Is it impossible or even hard to believe that we could lose five or even six of those games? No, not really. We've all seen worse rooting for this team so it would be crazy to dismiss the possibility. But that's not likely to happen - the odds are overwhelming that URI will lose four or less games for the rest of the regular season (about 3:1 as of today on rpiforecast).

So people predicting a 1-in-4 outcome and sounding all smug about it like they know something nobody else knows and are so much more realistic and mature than the Pom-pom wavers are actually the ones that either don't know what the hell they are talking about or are too traumatized by things that have happened before but are completely irrelevant to this year to form a cogent opinion.


It's probably not going to happen exactly like that but I'd bet $100 that 13-5 and one A10 quarterfinal win does not get Rhody in. If there is one thing that everyone can agree on about the committee, they hate a team that loads up on 20-25 fluffy wins. Especially when they don't get any good ones on the road. As for your other point, the nature of probabilities is such that being favored against Dartmouth/Marist/Brown is different than, say, UMass/LaSalle/Duq. We could be favored by one point in every single remaining game and the chances of going unbeaten are remote. This is the reason we are favored yet kenpom has the finish at 13-5. There were five games against worse than #200 in the OOC. Only one in the conference.



Right, that's why I did not say we would run the table, I said it was likely we wouldn't lose more than 4 more games. And I'm not telling you that like it's an opinion. That's the math. It's possible we lose more than 4 more, but it is not probable.
2 x
A new kinder, gentler TruePoint (maybe)

jmck
Kenny Green
Posts: 227
Joined: 4 years ago
x 2

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby jmck » 1 month ago

It's probably not going to happen exactly like that but I'd bet $100 that 13-5 and one A10 quarterfinal win does not get Rhody in.

I'll take that bet





Me too as long as Dayton and VCU are W's. People need to remember that the bubble teams we will be competing with are all going to have questionable resumes
0 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

I agree with GBG.....if we were to get 2 wins in the A10T with one of them versus Dayton or VCU then possibly.

13-5 with wins against Dayton and VCU with 1 win in the A10T probably not, because that would mean we lost a couple we shouldn't have to mediocre to bad teams.

All conjecture at this point. 15-3 gets us in, as long as the 2 more losses aren't to Dayton and VCU. I just don't see it.

Out of the 15 games remaining, how many of them will be decided by 5 points or less?

Anybody care to take a guess?

I think at least 5 or 6. How many of those will we win?

If we don't win at least half of them.....all of this discussion is moot.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7687
Joined: 4 years ago
x 591

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 month ago

15-3 gets you in regardless of who you lose to and probably gets you a 6 seed.
0 x
A new kinder, gentler TruePoint (maybe)

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

No. The 6 seed part I mean.
1 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7687
Joined: 4 years ago
x 591

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 month ago

One thing that you and I can agree on is that we are unlikely to find out, but I do wish that something like that would happen - by the time we went 15-3, people would be so juiced for the tournament they would forget they did all of this complaining but I'd love the opportunity to be able to go back and find this stuff and remind everyone.
1 x
A new kinder, gentler TruePoint (maybe)

User avatar
theblueram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2243
Joined: 4 years ago
x 159

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby theblueram » 1 month ago

I would love to go back and remind everyone what they thought if Dan didn't make the tourney in 5 years.
0 x

UCH21377
ARD
Posts: 508
Joined: 4 years ago
x 70

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby UCH21377 » 1 month ago

Rhody Jay, I think we need to get to 23 wins. I agree with TP; if we go 15-3 to get to 23-7 we are in, no matter what, IMO. 14-4 with 1 A10 tourney should be pretty darn close too. 13-5, 1-1 in the A10 would bring us to 22-10. That is on the wrong side of the bubble IMO. As for the bet I would love nothing more than to pay you with a beer at an NCAA viewing party.
0 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

TP, I wish you would be able to do that....really.

I wouldn't mind eating crow if the Rams went 15-3 in conference and went dancing, no matter the seed....which btw I think would be 8-10 or so.

I would prefer a 10 over an 8 or 9....avoid the 1 seed in the 2nd round.....wish we could talk about that instead of all this negative stuff.

Something is going to have to change in the way they play and coach the last few minutes of games...if that could happen, then it very well might happen.

I just think it's more wishful thinking than realistic.
0 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

I have a question for you [TP]....

WHY do you think we are going to all of a sudden win the close ones? It hasn't happened for almost 5 years with Dan against the top 100.....

If the talent level is close, we come out on the short end almost every time. Especially on the road.

What can be done to change that?
0 x

PeterRamTime
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1518
Joined: 2 years ago
x 79

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby PeterRamTime » 1 month ago

I feel like some close games against some mediocre teams in the league could be good for us. I feel like it would be easier to beat someone like GW in a close game and maybe that could give us some confidence in a close game against someone like VCU.
Maybe Dan and crew can figure it out.
They seem to be working out a lot of other kinks, like the offense, that's improving. Maybe the next thing will be the end of game scenarios.
I'm just really worried about Hass getting back to 100%
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7687
Joined: 4 years ago
x 591

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 month ago

I think our path to the tournament from here is not as arduous as some people think it is. So to answer your question, first I don't believe we will play THAT many really close games (I would define that as within one possession either way in the last minute of the game), I don't believe we will get blown out in any of the remaining games, and I think we will throttle a good number of teams left on our schedule. And second, if we play six close games (which would be a lot - only two games left on the schedule will we be favored by less than 5 points), I don't believe we will lose all six. If we were to play two full seasons in which are 1-19 in close games I will eat my computer. I just don't think that is mathematically possible.
3 x
A new kinder, gentler TruePoint (maybe)

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

Well there needs to be some adjustments late in games.....don't go stagnant......have the right offensive and defensive combinations.....if JG doesn't turn it around, get him out of there and let SR and Dowtin try their hand.....maybe the time to try that is against an opponent like GW or UMass.....do something.....

We have to find a "finisher" or two......good teams have them....we haven't found one yet. Maybe let JT try.....anything.

TP, the law of averages hasn't applied to us since Dan has been here......and I don't think we will have just 2 more close games the rest of the way...not just Dayton and VCU at home.....some of the road games will end up close and we have to win them or else....

Again, good teams and coaches win more close games than they lose...until we do that we are not an NCAAT team....that's what we are waiting to see....and it has to start now.

This team has to have the will to win.....mental toughness required. Either step up, or step out.
1 x

steveystuds06
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 420
Joined: 2 years ago
x 52

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby steveystuds06 » 1 month ago

He may not be ready yet, but I think we have a closer in Dowtin.
0 x

PeterRamTime
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1518
Joined: 2 years ago
x 79

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby PeterRamTime » 1 month ago

I could agree with that on Dowtin.
we wouldn't necessarily need him to do everything, but I think it'd be a good idea to run a play to get him open for three or a jumper, in an end of game situation.
His set shot is pretty automatic. I'd rather him shoot a three when we need it, rather than anybody else. Except maaaaybe JT.
1 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5396
Joined: 4 years ago
x 301

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby ramster » 1 month ago

PeterRamTime wrote:I could agree with that on Dowtin.
we wouldn't necessarily need him to do everything, but I think it'd be a good idea to run a play to get him open for three or a jumper, in an end of game situation.
His set shot is pretty automatic. I'd rather him shoot a three when we need it, rather than anybody else. Except maaaaybe JT.


Now we're talkin
0 x

brady1
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 370
Joined: 3 years ago
x 23

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby brady1 » 1 month ago

Voted yes.
Think we go 14-4
Confident Dan and the players fix the problems in the last 5min of big games and make the DANCE!
We have top 25 talent.
REVERSE THE CURSE!
GO RHODY!
0 x

reef
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 2009
Joined: 4 years ago
x 99

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby reef » 1 month ago

I think 15-3 will be very tough to achieve there are too many tough road games at middle of the pack teams we probably won't get all of them

I do think we can go 14-4 so 22-8 heading into a10 tourney then I think 1 win there most likely gets us in for sure

13-5 we then may need to get to the A10 finals
0 x

User avatar
thatRamBand
Steve Chubin
Posts: 100
Joined: 1 year ago
x 16

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby thatRamBand » 1 month ago

Billyboy78 wrote:I think some are underestimating VCU.


Yeah, I have to agree here. I think we can beat Dayton the second time around in our house, but VCU is the monkey we need to get off our back this year. They've beat us every single time since they joined the A10 ('13-'16) and we haven't beat them since 2009.

That win would be huge for us to really establish that we belong at the top of this league.
1 x

Gonebarongone
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1477
Joined: 4 years ago
x 65

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby Gonebarongone » 1 month ago

TruePoint wrote:One thing that you and I can agree on is that we are unlikely to find out, but I do wish that something like that would happen - by the time we went 15-3, people would be so juiced for the tournament they would forget they did all of this complaining but I'd love the opportunity to be able to go back and find this stuff and remind everyone.


Well...yeah, winning those games changes the context of what the team has accomplished. I guess I don't get why you don't see this. This is year 5, he loses big games, and currently on the wrong side of the bubble. How do you not see reason to be critical here? Criticism is absolutely warranted. Do you disagree?
0 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

GBG, according to some here they want to wait until the season plays out before blasting the coach and team, if they don't dance.

I think history with this coach tells us that nothing is likely to change.

Dan has had tons of opportunities to win big games. He has failed almost every time.

What makes some think we'll win the close ones going forward, is a real puzzler.
0 x

Gonebarongone
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1477
Joined: 4 years ago
x 65

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby Gonebarongone » 1 month ago

rambone 78 wrote:GBG, according to some here they want to wait until the season plays out before blasting the coach and team, if they don't dance.

I think history with this coach tells us that nothing is likely to change.

Dan has had tons of opportunities to win big games. He has failed almost every time.

What makes some think we'll win the close ones going forward, is a real puzzler.


Sure...there is mounting evidence that it won't end well, these close games. I honestly have no problem with the position that URI will make it. Would it really shock anyone? They are talented. I just don't get people who are stupefied but how this board is acting given the last 4+ years.
0 x

User avatar
bigappleram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3382
Joined: 4 years ago
x 240

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby bigappleram » 1 month ago

The last 4+ years? The first 2 years we struggled to field a full 5 guys of A10 talent. So discard those.
Year 3 we overachieved by almost all accounts - relying upon a team of FR and SO comprising 80% of our lineup, and falling maybe 2 wins on the wrong side of the bubble. Last year, disappointment for sure, couched with the reality of playing a bunch of games without key contributors (EC, Hassan, Garrett, Iverson all injured) which has to inform the assessment. How does UConn look this year without their star players? Is Ollie to blame? He still has a handful of 4 star recruits to turn to.

This year agreed, thus far, disappointment for sure and failing to meet expectations. But I don't get people who don't look at context when assessing a situation, versus emotional based opinions that infer the last 17 years of URI misery are Dan Hurley's to own. He has work to do this year, significant work, but those who wish to pass judgment once they have the full story should not be seen as abnormal. Apologies if this is too rational.
4 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7687
Joined: 4 years ago
x 591

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 month ago

I don't really understand what any of the previous 4 years (or the previous 17 years) have to do with this year. In my mind, prior seasons give me zero information about this year because the team is different, the competition is different, the coaching staff is different, etc. And even if all those things were exactly the same, it's a failure of the human mind to assume that if you have most of the same elements in place everything will turn out exactly the same every time; that doesn't account for randomness which plays a much larger role in everything than people are comfortable admitting.

So other than the impact that it's had on some of our fans' frail emotional states, the last four years mean literally nothing with respect to this year.
2 x
A new kinder, gentler TruePoint (maybe)

Gonebarongone
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1477
Joined: 4 years ago
x 65

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby Gonebarongone » 1 month ago

Well, no, don't discard those two years. They had legitimate data points. They had (and I was wrong on this) a really, really good played in X. More importantly, they had a dozen or more close games that we saw with our own eyes. Maybe it wasn't against a top 50 team but they were close games and saw them unfold. I probably said something after losing to Loyola in OT his first year. Something was just off when it came to end game sets and developing an offense that didn't depend on hero ball at the end. That doesn't work against like teams or better teams to often. In a year we can all agree that they overachieved, those same goblins cost us a bid. Saint Joes, Davidson, Dayton in the A10T. Injuries are certainly part of the context. As is recruiting, coaching, etc. But, no those first two years are on the resume. Good parts, too. He recruited great players.
0 x

Gonebarongone
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1477
Joined: 4 years ago
x 65

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby Gonebarongone » 1 month ago

TruePoint wrote:I don't really understand what any of the previous 4 years (or the previous 17 years) have to do with this year. In my mind, prior seasons give me zero information about this year because the team is different, the competition is different, the coaching staff is different, etc. And even if all those things were exactly the same, it's a failure of the human mind to assume that if you have most of the same elements in place everything will turn out exactly the same every time; that doesn't account for randomness which plays a much larger role in everything than people are comfortable admitting.

So other than the impact that it's had on some of our fans' frail emotional states, the last four years mean literally nothing with respect to this year.

I mean, c'mon. You can see common themes. Offense, end games, ref baiting, etc. There is being blind and there is trying to be blind.
0 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

There is no randomness when it comes to our constant losing of close games. There is also no law of averages at work here.

There are recurring issues that are obvious to even casual observers of our games.

They happen almost every time we're in a close game. We know what they are...I'm not going to repeat them.

And it's not just one thing.

GBG, I think it's a case of blind optimism that some believe things will change. Not based on facts. Not based on trends or history. Just hope, nothing else.
1 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

When Dan and his players start making better end game decisions...and we start to win close games...then I will change my tune....not until.
0 x

User avatar
adam914
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5222
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Carlsbad, CA
x 397

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby adam914 » 1 month ago

rambone 78 wrote:We know what they are...I'm not going to repeat them.


I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that you are going to repeat them...
2 x

steveystuds06
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 420
Joined: 2 years ago
x 52

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby steveystuds06 » 1 month ago

I hope he does repeat them if we keep losing the same way. It's the truth.
1 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

Some people can't handle the truth.....so they make snarky comments......very constructive.
1 x

User avatar
rhodysurf
Kenny Green
Posts: 201
Joined: 2 years ago
x 63

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby rhodysurf » 1 month ago

Gonebarongone wrote: Something was just off when it came to end game sets and developing an offense that didn't depend on hero ball at the end. That doesn't work against like teams or better teams to often.


I disagree. I think most end of the game plays are players making plays, often hero-balling, not coaches drawing them up. Did McKillop draw up a Gibbs stepback in the corner a few years ago? It was probably more like give the ball to Jack, which is hero ball.
1 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

Right now we don't have any hero ballers...if you know what I mean...no matter what the strategy might be.
0 x

Gonebarongone
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1477
Joined: 4 years ago
x 65

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread postby Gonebarongone » 1 month ago

rhodysurf wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: Something was just off when it came to end game sets and developing an offense that didn't depend on hero ball at the end. That doesn't work against like teams or better teams to often.


I disagree. I think most end of the game plays are players making plays, often hero-balling, not coaches drawing them up. Did McKillop draw up a Gibbs stepback in the corner a few years ago? It was probably more like give the ball to Jack, which is hero ball.


Not a good example at all. Davidson was running the offense. It was a bad pass not even intended for him that bounced over and he had like three seconds to do something. He didn't stand at the top of the key for 15 seconds and then try to break down five guys between him and the hoop. Sign me up for McKillop designing out offense right now. This is why trends are important. If it happens over multiple groups of guys then you have to look at the coach, either what he draws up or is installing in practice.
1 x


Return to “NCAAs or Bust!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests