Game 15: Dayton Friday Jan 6 @ 7pm ESPN2 University of Dayton Arena

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 15: Dayton Friday Jan 6 @ 7pm ESPN2 University of Dayton Arena

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:We've seen Jarvis play at a much higher level than he is playing now. Does anybody remember last year? I'm convinced there's something going on outside of basketball. Basketball is not his main focus anymore. Give the kid a break. He's a good player. We've seen it. When your mind is on something else and your focus is no longer basketball, your play will suffer. He's a college kid, not a professional basketball player. I think the criticism on him is a bit unfair.

If he has off the court issues he is dealing with that affect his play, he needs to be OFF the court sitting on the bench most of the time. He unfortunately has been a liability more than an asset this year. As was mentioned by someone else, our biggest win of the year was against Cincinnati. Rhody separated itself from the Bearcats in the 2nd half of that game without the services of JG. Makes one wonder if there is a connection.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RF1 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:We've seen Jarvis play at a much higher level than he is playing now. Does anybody remember last year? I'm convinced there's something going on outside of basketball. Basketball is not his main focus anymore. Give the kid a break. He's a good player. We've seen it. When your mind is on something else and your focus is no longer basketball, your play will suffer. He's a college kid, not a professional basketball player. I think the criticism on him is a bit unfair.

If he has off the court issues he is dealing with that affect his play, he needs to be OFF the court sitting on the bench most of the time. He unfortunately has been a liability more than an asset this year. As was mentioned by someone else, our biggest win of the year was against Cincinnati. Rhody separated itself from the Bearcats in the 2nd half of that game without the services of JG. Makes one wonder if there is a connection.
RF1, I've mentioned that too. I mean JG isn't the only issue, but I think it's more than a coincidence.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Coaching adjustments...other coaches make them.....URI doesn't...er Dan..........

Talk about hitting the nail on the head......

Our opponents play better at the end of games, we play worse......

If Dan thinks it's all his players' fault, then we are truly screwed.

If so, then it's time to start looking for our next coach.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I was surprised he said what he said after the game but maybe some of them (JG????) just aren't listening.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wonder how this affects team morale? It's can't be good I would think......

Dan has to play the guys that are performing.....and forget their name......blind loyalty will get you beat.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......time to start SR and sit JG, and see what happens....." after all, what do we have to loose....."
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, at this point, you are right.

And we need to have SR and Dowtin on the court at the end of games if they're tight.

Playing the same people will result in the same results......

And if they screw up too, then we know for sure who's at fault, if we didn't already.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I know in his heart of hearts DH thinks he is doing the right thing for certain players if he calls them out publicly, but I agree with Archie Miller Fans first post, its a bad look. It has happened several times in his tenure here. At most you should hear something that puts the onus on both player and coach, along the lines of "yeah, something seems up with so and so, I know he can do much better than that, he and I are going to put our heads together and see if we can't figure some things out."
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR, it isn't just about that last play.....the problems are much deeper than that......certain players are killing us both on offense and defense late in games......when we go to stall ball late we simply suck at it......if they don't stay aggressive they lose it......that corny "embrace the pace" line is actually very true....the quicker we play, the looser we play and good things tend to happen....

Some players have the BB IQ to play that style, and others don't....Dan either has to figure out the right combinations to have on the floor at the end of games real soon, or more games like Friday's will happen.....to lesser teams too and definitely on the road.

Do I have confidence he'll figure this stuff out? Until we see changes, the answer is a flat no.

When DH starts micromanaging the end games...it all falls apart.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The more of these close games we lose the more I can't believe we beat Cincy....
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.......
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

A coach doesn't need to publicly get at a player. He just needs to replace him.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

blueram...correct.....bad job by DH....the excuses are piling up.....his players aren't getting it done...and neither is he.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bone like I said before, I'm letting this year ride out. I expected to dance last year even without EC. This year there is no excuse. This year they need to dance.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree.....I just have serious doubts based on past performance......some think that there will be a big turnaround based on nothing more than hope.....I don't think we will have to wait much longer to find out for sure.

Imo the only thing that might work, is if Dan lets these guys play and stops trying to manage every drop of the ball late in games....and has the right guys in the game at the right times.....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Only 15 more games to find out for sure. 5 years without a dance is a failure.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yep. How much longer does DH get if no dance?

I doubt they fire him after this season...but if he fails again next season.....all bets are off.

I definitely would let him go then.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hey last year it worked when he threw JT under the bus, and that was waaaaay worse than what he said about Jarvis.
Don't think it was all that bad.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Archie Miller fan wrote:Hi guys, I hope you don't mind that I wanted to share my thoughts on Friday nights game. You guys are a really impressive team. Even the young guys looked very capable (10, 11). You guys have a load of talent.

I understand everyone on here is upset with Jarvis Garrett, but I saw him kick our butts last year. Scoochie was our point guard last year, too, if you guys forgot. (I missed this whole "roadkill" Twitter beef mentioned earlier in the thread from last year, so maybe you guys got him angry - he tweets that after all road wins, not just you guys).

But, I am shocked to read hurleys comments in the paper. Archie Miller would not speak so negatively about his players in the paper. I don't think that is a good look by Hurley, at all. More importantly, how does he think that is going to work out for him???

Our team is not more talented than yours. But we have better "emotional safety." Williams, mike sell, Crosby, d Davis, they know they can make a mistake and everyone will still like them. No one will point it out in the newspaper. They will still be passed the ball the next time they are open. This stuff matters. Hurleys comments do not foster that kind of environment, no matter how close everyone is.

The season is long. If we played you in Kingston first, we probably would have lost too. But I know Archie wouldn't have thrown the team under the bus at the teams halfway point because we lost a hard fought game against a good opponent. Not to mention, was he without flaws? Daytons looks improved throughout the game thanks to coaching adjustments. You guys had to make tough shots the whole way.

Anyway, in Daytons elite 8 year, we were 1-4 in league play. Archie realized then he needed to calm down because it's a long season. You guys have plenty of opportunity left to make the tournament. I predict you won't unless the emotional safety of the team improves.

My two cents, based on limited viewing. Good luck!
Thanks for your excellent input. You may have tabbed Dan Hurley's Achilles heel, it's not his sideline demeanor, but how deftly he handles adversity with the individual players, the team as a whole, and the press. Jarvis had a bad game and is somewhat of a slump, whether this is just a phase he is going through or something else is going on is anyone's guess. His point production is really down from last season.

I also agree that one loss to a tough opponent on the road is not the end of URI's prospects. Losing to La Salle next Thursday would be in that category. The mental state and confidence level of this team is a question and how Dan Hurley and his staff handle this is a big swing factor. Good luck in the future, but hopefully we turn the table on the Flyers in our Feb 10 match-up.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports ... 2rKJzltsI/

If this already posted mods delete...
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I have no problems with coaches calling out players in the media. No need to hide from something that is obvious. It's "big boy" basketball. They love the adoration when things are going well. Then, you've got to deal with the other side of things.
0 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

The Packers were 4-6 before they had their turnaround. I understand that they won't "run the table" but they can def get it on the right track
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH needs to learn from this and play the right guys down the stretch in close games , start by resting JG in crunch time
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

so wait....are we mad that Dan is loyal to his players or now we're mad that he "throws them under the bus?"

Um...what is he supposed to say in that situation? Lie to cover for Jarvis' very public and nationally broadcast obvious brain cramp?

There literally is no winning on this board right now for anything Hurley does. Hurley and his players are consistently accountable and transparent. If Dan screws something up or doesn't have the team prepped he's the first to put his hand up. You would want the players to be the same.

I said it in another thread. Everyone seemed to think 15-3 was needed to keep at large hope alive...where did you see the L's coming from? I had this penciled in. Play this way against Dayton at home and it's a W. Hold serve and win all the home games, drop to Davidson and Richmond on the road. Still in business.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote:so wait....are we mad that Dan is loyal to his players or now we're mad that he "throws them under the bus?"
Yep, he is way too loyal and throws his guys under the bus. And also has no clue how to run an offense and just rolls the ball out there but at the same time micro manages every single play. It's hard to keep up sometimes.
Last edited by adam914 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

adam914 wrote:

Great news that he is completely healed. We need him.

I tried to make sense of these quotes and I can't. I don't understand at all.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Adam,
I almost spit out my coffee on your statement "he just roll the balls out there but st the same time micromanaged every single play" too funny.
Long time until we play on Thursday night

Sounds like good news on Hassan. He played his 20 minutes vs Dayton so I'm not sure it mattered which 20 minutes he played but maybe too DH and staff were being cautious with his playing time due to the recentness of the injury. Will be nice when he is at full strength. He was having a player of year type start of the season.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:Adam,
I almost spit out my coffee on your statement "he just roll the balls out there but st the same time micromanaged every single play" too funny.

Sounds like good news on Hassan. He played his 20 minutes vs Dayton so I'm not sure it mattered which 20 minutes he played but maybe too DH and staff were being cautious with his playing time due to the recentness of the injury. Will be nice when he is at full strength. He was having a player of year type start of the season.
ramster, Dan said he was a shell of himself during the game. I didn't see that. What did I miss. If he didn't reinjure the quad he should have been in the game. Period.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote:
ramster wrote:Adam,

ramster, Dan said he was a shell of himself during the game. I didn't see that. What did I miss. If he didn't reinjure the quad he should have been in the game. Period.
RJ,
I agree. Could it be that Hassan himself is worried about the injury and is concerned? Maybe this latest check by the Doctors relieves Everyone including Hassan. It does seem confusing as you say but maybe now he moves forward. Odd thing about the Dayton game is while Iverson really stood out with his 2nd double double of the year (Cincinnati being the other) Langevine was quiet. Imagine if we get Iverson, Martin and Langevine off the bench all hitting on all cylinders in the same game?
Thursday vs LaSalle will be interesting to watch HM.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

RoadyJay wrote:
adam914 wrote:

Great news that he is completely healed. We need him.

I tried to make sense of these quotes and I can't. I don't understand at all.
Seems life conflicting quotes, right? If it is completely healed, why do you need to find a way to get him right on game nights?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Agreed, I was confused by the quotes as well. There was one other that I forgot to include, but it doesnt really clear anything up.

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So I don't really know what it means to be honest. I'm not sure if follow up questions are allowed on these conference calls, but it doesn't seem like anyone asked for a clarification.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sounds to me like Hassan was being tentative and careful not to reinjure himself....couldn't just let himself go all out.....maybe?
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

ramster, according to Dan's post game comments Hass begged to go back in the game so I doubt he is worried about it.

How does he play 20 minutes has 7pts, 5 rebs, 2 assists, a block and a steal then doesn't play the last critical minutes?

The quotes are just bizarre.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The only other thing I can think of is like a "rust" issue. Like he tightened up or something but it wasn't necessarily a recurrence of the injury. But who knows.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ok, yeah this is kind of what I was thinking...

0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Ok, they know what's best for Hassan.

But from the outside looking in, being tired/sore is a hard one to swallow. I would have liked to have seen him at some point during the last five minutes. But, they don't play guys based on our wants and needs. :)

I'll move on now...
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

So why weren't we substituting Langevine in on defense where possible?

Yes I get it he is an unskilled post player presently but....

Ahhhh never mind just gimme 13-2 finish!!!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

theblueram wrote:A coach doesn't need to publicly get at a player. He just needs to replace him.
Agree with this totally. I actually didn't hear Dan's comments, but this is discouraging. I thought one of , if not Dan's most important strength was the fact he was undeniably loyal and supportive of his players. There is no need for public admonishing at all. And players typically don't respond well to that. It does indeed appear excuses are mounting and becoming more regular and that is disturbing. I think we went through the excuse train with the prior staff
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Starters also don't deal well with being pulled from critical games in crunch times either, so maybe by going public he is putting JG on watch that if it happens again he has to pull him and go with SR or Dowtin.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

adam914 wrote:Ok, yeah this is kind of what I was thinking...

which goes back to my point after the game...why the heck did he play so much in the 1st half then?

You know your best and biggest impact player is on a pitch count, and you dont limit his minutes early on to ensure he's available for the final 10 or final 5? Especially in a game you know is going to be a close one?

Even if we accept Hass was a no go, where the hell was Langevine? Would've been nice to have him out there given how much Dayton owned the paint late.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: which goes back to my point after the game...why the heck did he play so much in the 1st half then?

You know your best and biggest impact player is on a pitch count, and you dont limit his minutes early on to ensure he's available for the final 10 or final 5? Especially in a game you know is going to be a close one?

Even if we accept Hass was a no go, where the hell was Langevine? Would've been nice to have him out there given how much Dayton owned the paint late.
Well I think he obviously did not expect Hassan to have the physical issues he ended up having. He seemed pretty good in the St. Joe's game. I don't think he made the choice to play him more early and sit him later ahead of time. I think Hassan just ended up having some unexpected limitations.

I'm also not sure Langevine was the answer. I saw nothing in his 8 minutes of action with 3 fouls, 0 points and 0 rebounds to make me think he would have been a difference maker in that game. Pollard was destroying him. It was a clear vet vs. freshman matchup that he dominated.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Blue Man wrote:so wait....are we mad that Dan is loyal to his players or now we're mad that he "throws them under the bus?"

Um...what is he supposed to say in that situation? Lie to cover for Jarvis' very public and nationally broadcast obvious brain cramp?

There literally is no winning on this board right now for anything Hurley does. Hurley and his players are consistently accountable and transparent. If Dan screws something up or doesn't have the team prepped he's the first to put his hand up. You would want the players to be the same.

I said it in another thread. Everyone seemed to think 15-3 was needed to keep at large hope alive...where did you see the L's coming from? I had this penciled in. Play this way against Dayton at home and it's a W. Hold serve and win all the home games, drop to Davidson and Richmond on the road. Still in business.
"Throwing them under the bus" is not accurate. You can be loyal to your players and still call them out in the media of poor performance. Don't believe me? Ask Tom Izzo, his players, and especially Eron Harris after sitting Eron Harris in the 2nd half in loss to Northeastern:

On why senior Eron Harris wasn’t in the game late:

IZZO: “He didn’t play well enough. There are things that you can see. You can see missed shots or this or that. There’s a lot of things that you can’t see. Right now we’re struggling with a couple guys that I think have to play well for us to win: Eron and Kenny. We’re just not getting enough out of especially Kenny. So I changed the lineup at halftime. It wasn’t all good, all bad. I might change it again. I was not satisfied with the toughness that we did not display. That’s never something that this program stands for, and right now we just have to learn how to play harder, I guess. But it wasn’t our freshmen."

Harris is a senior and he’s sitting next to Izzo on the bench late…

IZZO: “Why are you concerned about Harris? He’s sitting next to me because he didn’t play very good. Period. I don’t know what the deal is. I don’t mean to jump you about it, but you want know why: he didn’t guard. He didn’t play very hard, he didn’t play very smart, he took a couple of bad shots and he wasn’t playing the way he has to play. So, I mean, if Harris doesn’t do that this week, he won’t be playing either. And if he does, he will. It’s not all on Eron Harris but seniors got to rise up. I don’t know, do you want to make this a quarterback controversy? What do you want to do? I’m as honest as I could be; he didn’t play very good. So, bring it up again and I’ll tell you the same damn thing.”

Are questioning Izzo's loyalty to his players? Is he throwing him under the bus? Is Izzo deflecting blame from himself?
Last edited by PlayMikeMotenMore 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Sounds like Hass could use some flexibility exercises. It's great to be strong and all, but I think some athletes bulk up too much. It takes away from the flexibility and fluidity sometimes, especially for basketball. Watching that video a few months back when the kids were doing squats with some serious weight, I wasn't so sure that was a great idea.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Good news is our next game is not til Thursday giving Hass 5 full days after Dayton to work on getting up to full speed and staying there.

I agree with Adam 100% on what was to be expected from Langevine.

Let's get healthy and stay that way and we will be OKAY!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

eli#10 wrote:Good news is our next game is not til Thursday giving Hass 5 full days after Dayton to work on getting up to full speed and staying there.
The schedule actually works out nicely past that for the same reason. Play Thursday/Sunday this week both at home and then a week off until the next game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Muscle fatigue for Hassan, kind of the same thing happened with EC after his first games back......and Hassan has some serious muscle.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Sounds like Hurley didn't like how Hass was moving, and decided on his own to sit him at the end, to protect him. I'm ok with that.
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Wonder if less monster one handed slam a jamama's landing hard on one leg for Hass the rest of the season would be best for his legs. A good old fashion 2 handed slam landing on both feet might help the legs last.

REVESRSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x