Game 15: Dayton Friday Jan 6 @ 7pm ESPN2 University of Dayton Arena

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 15: Dayton Friday Jan 6 @ 7pm ESPN2 University of Dayton Arena

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Excuses are for losers.....we got outcoached, plain and simple, much more so in the 2nd half.....always when it counts......

JG is not at the level of the elite PG's out there.......that was the difference tonight.....and the coach's inability to adjust to that cost us the game.

SR needs to be out there at the end......so Cyril had 3 fouls.....he still should have been out there on D.......on and on we go......

I think we will see more of SR and Dowtin as we go along....and Cyril will HAVE to play more with Hassan limited......

Dan has to play the guys that give us the best chance to win.......or else this season will go down the drain.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I think Dan IS playing the guys that gives us the best chance of winning, and I think his loyalty to JG and others getting the important minutes clouds his thinking in making in game adjustments, I would offer Cyril gets more rebound minutes regardless of fouls, he can't rebound from bench, SR at point, Jarvis has seemed to not be the PG of the past, tough kid, warrior yes for sure, is he right now the best option there at PG, for me no.....like Dowtin a lot.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Agree w 78 this team is super deep

N o E x c u s e s !!!!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Iverson scored with 17.1 seconds left to get us to within a point (65-64). As soon as he scored we called our last timeout.

Obviously, first thing Dan told them in the timeout is that we would go for the steal on the in-bounds, one quick trap, and if we didn't get it we need to foul.

So then the next thing he must have discussed in the timeout was what we do when we get the ball back, after they shoot the free throws. If they make both then you obviously have to take a three. If they miss both or only make one then you only need a two.

We fouled Kyle Davis with 12.1 seconds left. He made his first and missed his second. We know what happened next.

I didn't see the question asked in any post game tweets or game stories... But I'd like to know what was drawn up in the huddle. It had to have been discussed during that timeout.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
1 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I really don't think what we saw was at all what was drawn up sprinting to the basket with your head down and throwing it up like there were only 4 seconds to work with...they missed the first and made the second so plenty of time to know the situation , 12 seconds plenty of time for a decent look ....also typically golden rule in that situation down by 2 on road(in tough arena) you go for the win, at home you play for OT.....just a bonehead play by our PG who looks very different from the guard who took it to Dunn last year vs PC
0 x
Clapton is God
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RJ, it had to be something other than what happened, don't you think? God I hope so....Jarvis is not clutch, has never made a game winning shot....didn't do squat offensively all game......if that was the "play" called then Dan is clueless.

105, it's time to make adjustments....some guys aren't getting it done.....give SR and Dowtin a chance to make game winning plays...they've proven they can move the ball better than JG earlier in the shot clock.....

Dowtin seems like he wants the ball in tough spots....give it to him......imo this is the only chance we have to turn around the constant losing of close games....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We've seen Jarvis play at a much higher level than he is playing now. Does anybody remember last year? I'm convinced there's something going on outside of basketball. Basketball is not his main focus anymore. Give the kid a break. He's a good player. We've seen it. When your mind is on something else and your focus is no longer basketball, your play will suffer. He's a college kid, not a professional basketball player. I think the criticism on him is a bit unfair.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I agree. Had to be something other than what Jarvis did obviously.

Question is then why did he do what he did. There was no reason for it and 12.1 seconds is an eternity to dribble up and get a decent shot off.

It's a miss by those covering the game that the question was not asked.

To be clear... the question being what was actually drawn up versus what was executed.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Yep I'd have been looking for a 3 at the end. I'm not real interested in overtime in that building.

Dan clearly felt differently - he's getting the big bucks to make that call.

It is a familiar bad look in my opinion but it is a look our HC likes - has to be it is repeated over and over.

15-3 still doable let's get it done.

I still also like JG game....last night not so much. However we armchair head coaches can have no appreciation how difficult it was last night to steal a win in that building.

Played strong for extended spurts let's look forward and finish. Plenty of time it's still there for the taking. This is a deep and super talented team. It has a lot of talented players but with very different strengths and styles of play. IMHO this is not an easy group to coach. Getting this group to fire on all cylinders is still elusive.

It is getting better but JT and JG took big steps backward last night.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

All due respect, totally understand the armchair coach thing and never underestimate how hard it is to win an away game like that, but some of us are only asking for 50/50 on the road against these toughest teams, that is the very least a top caliber (top 25) team would be doing.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......regarding the last possession and play(s) being drawn up.....I would offer that in the last TO huddle both the three point and two point get plays were addressed, and that whatever was drawn on the white board, it was reminders of what players need to execute of what they had practiced many times before......hopefully not, at this level, something drawn up that the players had never executed before in practice......and if those play(s) break down, get the ball into the lane get off a shot to the rim/glass that leaves time for players crashing the boards to get offensive rebound/put back.....the chances of success of drawing something up the players have not practiced is, even at this level, extremely low.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm not so sure we got outcoached, assuming Hassan was hurt.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Running Ram wrote:All due respect, totally understand the armchair coach thing and never underestimate how hard it is to win an away game like that, but some of us are only asking for 50/50 on the road against these toughest teams, that is the very least a top caliber (top 25) team would be doing.
True and as repeated over and over no excuses.

My opinion this was the hardest venue / hostile situation of the 4 losses. I had this on pretty firmly in the L column.

Houston was not hostile, Providence we know well and had the usually Keaneyblue turnout. Valpo is tough venue but in my opinion that's a team we should have pounded. They certainly didn't hold serve at home last night.

Despite it all last night was in the win column.....

I still see it as fixable.....as I still think we have the best squad.

Good discussion folks.

This beats a 7-22 train wreck I guess.

:)
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:I'm not so sure we got outcoached, assuming Hassan was hurt.
Dayton's best player was out the entire game. Obviously Hassan only playing 20 min didn't help but you can't ignore the fact Dayton was without their best guy all game.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Agree with you hstrat.

Watched Valpo last night they aren't very good
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Have to go back and watch the game again, but I believe when they were at the foul line with 12 seconds left Dan called a play out called "Home Run 2"
If my lip synching skills were on point.
I have to assume that isn't JG going coast to coast and forcing an off balance and contested shot...I agree with those saying in that situation you go for the 3 to win.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote:I agree. Had to be something other than what Jarvis did obviously.

Question is then why did he do what he did. There was no reason for it and 12.1 seconds is an eternity to dribble up and get a decent shot off.

To be clear... the question being what was actually drawn up versus what was executed.
I think the question was asked by Bill Koch, or at least it was answered in the PROJO article this morning by Dan Hurley.

URI (10-5, 2-1 Atlantic 10) had one final chance to tie or go for the victory inside the final 12.1 seconds, as Kyle Davis made just the second of two free throws to leave it a 66-64 game. Jarvis Garrett rushed up the floor and fired a wild runner along the left baseline that drew nothing but air, and Davis was able to run away with the rebound that sealed the game. It marked the fourth time this season URI has fallen by single digits away from home and the third game the Rams have dropped by three points.

"It was a failure of communication," Hurley said. "We had no timeouts. Players knew the play - it's something that they go over every day."
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RoadyJay wrote:I agree. Had to be something other than what Jarvis did obviously.

My guess is he might have said if it's a 2 point game then we have to get to the rim. Either look to get fouled or at least have guys down under the basket to potentially get a put back. I have no idea what play would be executed to do that but the plan would be to have someone drive. If this was the case then I could understand why Jarvis made the play he did even though it was still a poor decision.

I know some people are saying we should have shot a 3 but if the only play Hurley drew up was for a 3 then I don't think Garrett would have messed up that bad.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:

I think the question was asked by Bill Koch, or at least it was answered in the PROJO article this morning by Dan Hurley.

URI (10-5, 2-1 Atlantic 10) had one final chance to tie or go for the victory inside the final 12.1 seconds, as Kyle Davis made just the second of two free throws to leave it a 66-64 game. Jarvis Garrett rushed up the floor and fired a wild runner along the left baseline that drew nothing but air, and Davis was able to run away with the rebound that sealed the game. It marked the fourth time this season URI has fallen by single digits away from home and the third game the Rams have dropped by three points.

"It was a failure of communication," Hurley said. "We had no timeouts. Players knew the play - it's something that they go over every day."

Thanks ramster... My fault for not seeing that and my apologies.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

There was a play drawn up and Garrett simply did not run the play. That is a fact. Why he didn't listen to the coaches and run the play is extremely puzzling and concerning.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote:
ramster wrote:

Thanks ramster... My fault for not seeing that and my apologies.
Oh, no problem.

Makes me wonder what the play was (of is) that they go over every day in practice. Maybe Jarvis has watched the Marquis Jones heroics from prior Dayton games and went the hero ball route himself. Maybe he saw an opening and thought he had a path to the basket. Problem is the height and athletic ability of Dayton, Similar to VCU, Dayton is an elite defensive team. Interesting that if you look at the top 3 teams in the A10, Dayton, URI and VCU they all pride themselves on their defense. EC hitting the clutch 3 at 59 seconds to go, then Iverson hitting the clutch 2 with 19 seconds to go.......had to believe those were the two hottest guys in the 2nd half. I wonder what the play was that we have practiced and was called.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78 wrote:We've seen Jarvis play at a much higher level than he is playing now. Does anybody remember last year? I'm convinced there's something going on outside of basketball. Basketball is not his main focus anymore. Give the kid a break. He's a good player. We've seen it. When your mind is on something else and your focus is no longer basketball, your play will suffer. He's a college kid, not a professional basketball player. I think the criticism on him is a bit unfair.

I agree we have certainly seen Jarvis play better and he is a good player. He is not a great player at this point. He's simply not as quick, as strong and as tall as you more elite guards. But, yes he is a good player. Perhaps he does have issues off the court and is not totally focused on basketball. Like you say, he is a college kid and we all run across personal problems that cause us not to be focused on whatever we are doing. However, if this is indeed the case, then it is also the coaching staff's issue to deal with it. Obviously try to help the young man out it any way, but also make adjustments on the court, as to playing time and playing time in certain situations. I watched the game again and at times he looked like he simply gave up on defense vs. Scoochie Smith. Even if you are over matched physically, you still have give it your greatest effort. He certainly looked disinterested at times and did not play as hard as he typically does. So perhaps there is something else going on off the court. But again, Dan needs to address his on the court play as well, if personal issues are the case.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Regardless of his off the court issues (if he even has any, let's be real nobody on this board knows), there's no excuse for what he did at the end of the game. None.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If he has issues affecting his game, then WHY the fuck was he out there the last 10 minutes?

You had Stan who is bigger and stronger and a better defender on Smith......

We also had a big [Cyril] who's a good defender already, and why wasn't he out there defending Pollard?

These issues are obvious to us....what is the coach's issue?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Stan wasn't doing a very good job on Smith either. And then when Smith did get by whoever was defending him, we had no shot blocker in the game to help.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy, true...but defense was only part of the problem.....the offensive execution suffered the last 10 minutes......like it almost always does in close games.....

Dan has to make a hard choice.....sitting JG won't be easy for him....but is winning important?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:We've seen Jarvis play at a much higher level than he is playing now. Does anybody remember last year? I'm convinced there's something going on outside of basketball. Basketball is not his main focus anymore. Give the kid a break. He's a good player. We've seen it. When your mind is on something else and your focus is no longer basketball, your play will suffer. He's a college kid, not a professional basketball player. I think the criticism on him is a bit unfair.

I agree we have certainly seen Jarvis play better and he is a good player. He is not a great player at this point. He's simply not as quick, as strong and as tall as you more elite guards. But, yes he is a good player. Perhaps he does have issues off the court and is not totally focused on basketball. Like you say, he is a college kid and we all run across personal problems that cause us not to be focused on whatever we are doing. However, if this is indeed the case, then it is also the coaching staff's issue to deal with it. Obviously try to help the young man out it any way, but also make adjustments on the court, as to playing time and playing time in certain situations. I watched the game again and at times he looked like he simply gave up on defense vs. Scoochie Smith. Even if you are over matched physically, you still have give it your greatest effort. He certainly looked disinterested at times and did not play as hard as he typically does. So perhaps there is something else going on off the court. But again, Dan needs to address his on the court play as well, if personal issues are the case.
Gio,
This is what I saw as well. He was not always being blocked from following Smith to the hoop, sometimes he just gave up as you said. Smith is listed at 6'2" and Garrett 6'0 but it looked like a bigger differential last night.
I did not tape the game, now wish I had, but did you notice when Miller had the team go to 4 corners with Smith at the top of the key one-on-one with JG?
It was a pretty bold move, and maybe tended to be somewhat embarrassing, at least that is the way I felt watching it play out. The whole lane was empty and Smith was clearly told to take JG to the hoop - sometimes went for easy layups and sometimes he dished off for easy layups.
Smith ended with 21 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals and only 1 turnover - pretty strong numbers.

I'd agree with Billyboy that Robinson had trouble with Smith too. Not having our Rim Protector Hassan Martin for half the game (he only played 20 minutes) to block or alter shots did not help matters with Smith driving the lane.

I thought DH could have gone to Robinson sooner on Smith. Not having Thompson to put on Smith didn't help. Could Dowtin have tried his hand on Smith? Terrell? although Terrell got beat by Smith once on a switch that I remember. But maybe we needed to throw more bodies on Smith, keep fresh bodies on him, try to knock him a bit off balance a bit. He just had it in his head that he was very confident that he could beat JG last night whenever he wanted to - he had that swag about him.

Can't believe I am saying this but here goes "could be have dropped to a zone for a time and dared Dayton to beat us on the 3 ball?"
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, it's a recurring theme lately.....other team's best players go off on us...no adjustments are made to try and change it.....

Dan is supposed to be a defensive guru......not seeing it
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

IMO you sag off Scoochie and make him a jump shooter...take your chances.
Playing up in his face plays to his strength, not having a rim protector left us doubly exposed.
Stan or Dowtin are longer (than JG), they can sag back a foot and still be as disruptive.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The play last night that was indicative of this whole season was when Dayton threw a long ill-advised pass...Hassan and JT were both in position to steal it, they collide with each other in mid air and the ball falls right to the Dayton guy for a layup.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

josephski wrote:
Dayton's best player was out the entire game. Obviously Hassan only playing 20 min didn't help but you can't ignore the fact Dayton was without their best guy all game.
That's not what I meant. If we find out Hassan sitting the last ten minutes was a coach's decision, I will get in line to crush Hurley for that. Otherwise, though, not sure what the criticism is of the coach. I think we all feel the last possession was regrettable, but I thought we played well in a tough environment for 39.75 minutes. Was every minute perfect? Obviously not, but overall I don't think we shat our shorts. Dayton matched our level of play and the difference was the home court. I'd have been more excited than anyone here had we won last night, but we got beat. It happens. The ensuing meltdown is an embarrassment.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

TP, you said it yourself, somewhere in this thread, we lost the last 5 min of this game. As we did at valpo,pc houston. It's a problem it needs to be looked at and fixed now. It's a coaches and players problem BOTH! But it's Hurley's job to Fix it. As the EAGLES said " before it's too late" Desperado

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This loss leaves us with 8 landmines until our next game against Dayton. We have 1 good win and no bad losses. A win at Dayton would have given some breathing room. Now we have none. A loss at any of the next 8 will negate our good win. Can we run 8 straight?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

theblueram wrote:This loss leaves us with 8 landmines until our next game against Dayton. We have 1 good win and no bad losses. A win at Dayton would have given some breathing room. Now we have none. A loss at any of the next 8 will negate our good win. Can we run 8 straight?
I think we can.
Number 1 priority now is get Hass fully healthy. And Chris.
Our guys gotta not get too down on themselves and put this game in perspective. Really close loss to a team right on our level. And they're coming to the Ryan Center and we will get them there.
That's how they gotta think. They really can't afford to freak out like us fans.
The scariest games in the next 8 before Dayton are the two games against UMass. Since no matter what team we have put there we find a way to lose to those bastards.
Sweeping them will be a really nice hurdle to clear.
But we just played Dayton at a level nobody but VCU can play at and I feel like our guys can definitely go on a good streak. They can afford one or two more road losses as long as they beat Dayton and VCU.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
josephski wrote:
That's not what I meant. If we find out Hassan sitting the last ten minutes was a coach's decision, I will get in line to crush Hurley for that. Otherwise, though, not sure what the criticism is of the coach. I think we all feel the last possession was regrettable, but I thought we played well in a tough environment for 39.75 minutes. Was every minute perfect? Obviously not, but overall I don't think we shat our shorts. Dayton matched our level of play and the difference was the home court. I'd have been more excited than anyone here had we won last night, but we got beat. It happens. The ensuing meltdown is an embarrassment.
I only see a couple posters melting down here.....

We need to finish 13-2 and looking at the schedule it is very doable...we have 3 three point losses....and the Houston loss.

Doable....very much so. As I said we likely will be the favorite in every game.

15-3

git r done
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....can we wn 8 straight? With Hasson out for some of those 8, most likely not.....with him playing limited minutes yes.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:
josephski wrote:

oh goody, more useless moral victories. thats right, pay no attention to the fact that for the umpteenth time this team pissed down its leg and failed to execute late in a winnable game.

meanwhile, on the other side you saw a team, without 2 of its best players in Cooke and Cunningham, show a high basketball IQ, make the needed plays and execute to a tee
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Our record this year through 15 games is the same as last year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A lot of people are HOPING we'll go 15-3.

Not a lot of conviction behind it, though.

Some changes in late game management have to happen, or it's not going to happen. 13-5 or 12-6 is much more likely.....not enough

Just wait. No need to trash me for my opinion. Just wait.

It continues to amaze that people here think we're going to start winning the close ones all of a sudden.....there is absolutely no reason to think we will...none.......

We have the same coach and same players.....will Dan change who he has in the game at crunch time? Who thinks he will?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Easy fix 78

just crush the cupcakes!!

in fact just crush everybody....

:)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Landmines include the Bonnies and UMass on the road, even St. Joes.......we know about Davidson and Richmond......we should win all our home games except Dayton and VCU.......those will be close and you know what will happen......

My opinion will change when we FINALLY start winning these 50-50 games.......we have zero margin for error now.....already.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

After the PC game, I posted that Robinson and Thompson should play more at the expense of Garrett. Didn't get one person to agree with me. Most likely because everyone, including me, love the way Garrett plays and this program wouldn't be in a position to compete for the A-10 title without him. That plus the fact that there are probably only a handful of teams in the country who have the personnel and coach who can exploit Garrett's lack of length. But if we want to get to the next level, our coaching staff (who I think is top tier in the A-10) has to recognize these things which an average fan like me (and probably Archie) saw a month ago and figure out a way to explain to JG that there might be some matchups where we feel our best chance to win is with a bigger lineup.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It isn't just a defensive issue....JG has been a liability on offense late in games, and not just when it comes to a last play scenario.....

The ball just isn't moving as much.....when we go stagnant is when we give up those runs that end up being the difference......
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The idea that URI is about to just turn it on and go 13-2 the rest of the way in the A10 is crazy. URI is halfway through the season and has one true road win and it was against probably the worst team in the A10.

I fully expect URI to beat up on inferior opponents at the Ryan Center as they have done all year. When URI goes on the road against in-conference opponents all bets are off.

But once the dream of the 13-2 finish is long gone people will still cling to the A10 tournament hopes. But let's remember Hurley more contract extensions (2) than he does A10 tournament wins (1) in his time at URI.

If URI whiffs on the tournament this year the heat needs to be turned up on Thorr 'no plans' Bjorn, not just Hurley.
1 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Re: Game 15: Dayton Friday Jan 6 @ 7pm ESPN2 University of Dayton Are

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Been reading for a while but can be silent no more. I just don't think this is a DH thing. He is as disappointed in JG as we all are. We all need to have a Program we can be proud of. That is built on promoting the Program to future players, but also on the trust and relationships between the coach and player that are the foundation of the DH era (EC HM JT and JG). DH has oversold and we bought in. But the Program will reap benefits in the future. We suffer now. And it is painful, I get it. My wife hid upstairs as I screamed at players for bad decisions in this game. This is not a DH thing. It's young kids who in spite of good coaching don't understand their limitations. EC dribbles too high and through the paint in pressure that's a TO 8 of 10 x. SR thinks he can shoot when he should clearly think pass; although he is our best defender. KI wants to be a point guard but ugh. 2016/17 was oversold and we bought in. Ouch. But for the future of the Program, when we look back, it might be worth it. But I'm an eternal optimist.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

cRAM4finals wrote:Been reading for a while but can be silent no more. I just don't think this is a DH thing. He is as disappointed in JG as we all are. We all need to have a Program we can be proud of. That is built on promoting the Program to future players, but also on the trust and relationships between the coach and player that are the foundation of the DH era (EC HM JT and JG). DH has oversold and we bought in. But the Program will reap benefits in the future. We suffer now. And it is painful, I get it. My wife hid upstairs as I screamed at players for bad decisions in this game. This is not a DH thing. It's young kids who in spite of good coaching don't understand their limitations. EC dribbles too high and through the paint in pressure that's a TO 8 of 10 x. SR thinks he can shoot when he should clearly think pass; although he is our best defender. KI wants to be a point guard but ugh. 2016/17 was oversold and we bought in. Ouch. But for the future of the Program, when we look back, it might be worth it. But I'm an eternal optimist.
Hello, welcome, good first post, now please don't be offended if I tear it apart :P just joking. I agree with some of your take, except for all that stuff where you let DH off the hook for players making bad decisions, players recruited by DH, with several seasons of his guidance. When players falter at this level coaches have to help them sort it out and when they can't, coaches have to make the pieces work some other way. It's the coaches job to put the players in a position to win, that means more movements of the chess pieces, not "getting back to what we do best" because that's coach speak for we're going to keep doing what we've been doing but try to do it better. We can continue to smoke all the cupcakes out there because we have a certain level of athleticism on the team, but go 2-8 against teams with a similar level of athleticism.

I understand fully why people defend DH, by all accounts he seems to be an outstanding person, with great resolve, living and teaching by a code with high ethical and moral standards. I feel an honest pleasure when I hear of how close the members of this team are to each other, the sense of responsibility and kinship the players and coaches seem to have for one and other. It's a great thing to see folks out there forging positive and meaningful relationships with one and other. For some of us it can even be cathartic in that we also forged great relationships with people who would change our lives for the better right on the same campus, in the same classrooms and dining halls. The respect that I have for DH as a positive role model, mentor, as someone who will 'do the right thing', someone who will always give great effort and attention to his craft, it tops the respect chart. I'm a huge fan of DH, I want Rhody to succeed for him as much as anyone.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe DH shouldn't have used his last TO with 17 sec left after KI scored to cut it to 1. Let them in bound go for the steal and quick foul and save the TO and see if you are down by 1 2 or 3 after his free throws
0 x
Archie Miller fan
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Archie Miller fan »

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind that I wanted to share my thoughts on Friday nights game. You guys are a really impressive team. Even the young guys looked very capable (10, 11). You guys have a load of talent.

I understand everyone on here is upset with Jarvis Garrett, but I saw him kick our butts last year. Scoochie was our point guard last year, too, if you guys forgot. (I missed this whole "roadkill" Twitter beef mentioned earlier in the thread from last year, so maybe you guys got him angry - he tweets that after all road wins, not just you guys).

But, I am shocked to read hurleys comments in the paper. Archie Miller would not speak so negatively about his players in the paper. I don't think that is a good look by Hurley, at all. More importantly, how does he think that is going to work out for him???

Our team is not more talented than yours. But we have better "emotional safety." Williams, mike sell, Crosby, d Davis, they know they can make a mistake and everyone will still like them. No one will point it out in the newspaper. They will still be passed the ball the next time they are open. This stuff matters. Hurleys comments do not foster that kind of environment, no matter how close everyone is.

The season is long. If we played you in Kingston first, we probably would have lost too. But I know Archie wouldn't have thrown the team under the bus at the teams halfway point because we lost a hard fought game against a good opponent. Not to mention, was he without flaws? Daytons looks improved throughout the game thanks to coaching adjustments. You guys had to make tough shots the whole way.

Anyway, in Daytons elite 8 year, we were 1-4 in league play. Archie realized then he needed to calm down because it's a long season. You guys have plenty of opportunity left to make the tournament. I predict you won't unless the emotional safety of the team improves.

My two cents, based on limited viewing. Good luck!
Last edited by Archie Miller fan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I think it may be as simple as he doesn't trust them[the team] to make good decisions.

Unfortunately that may be a result of his coaching style......My observation is that Coach calls more sets from the sideline than his counterparts.
He seems to not let them have a lot of latitude, except in transition.
0 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

I think the timeout at 17.1 made sense especially with KI sprawled out on his back after making the basket. Based on previous Dayton possessions against 5 players, beating 4 down the court would have increased chances of scoring an easy 2 and avoiding the forced foul. The players have to run the play's called and JG didn't do it. He thought he could be a hero after being unable to play solid D. Never really worked hard enough to fight through screens and stay with Scoochie. Took bad shots like the one from three feet beyond the 3-point line with 13 seconds left on the shot clock and a defender closing hard, when we were down 53-49. He's just not the same guy we saw last year or scouts have just figured out his weaknesses this year.
0 x