Game 15: Dayton Friday Jan 6 @ 7pm ESPN2 University of Dayton Arena

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: Game 15: Dayton Friday Jan 6 @ 7pm ESPN2 University of Dayton Arena

Unread post by RIFan »

TruePoint wrote:
RIFan wrote:
theblueram wrote:To think we were up by 10
and in control most of the game. sheesh
Isn't that our MO?
We weren't in control most of the game. We won the first ten minutes handily, drew the next 25 minutes and lost the last five.
Ok, but we probably lead for 33 of the 40 minutes
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

DANNY DANNY DANNY,

The only constant is JG not playing the last 5min in games against top teams and we win.

Pathetic effort by Terrell and Mathews!

Hurley Ec hits a 3 in second half you take him out WTF give him a chance to get hot ala st joies.

Dan might be time to do the opposite of whatever you think is right in big games?

Last year thought JG was morphing into TYSON right now he's mike powell sorry we have have NCAA talent and M Powell as our Pg WTF DAN Wake up!

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:
josephski wrote:
gorhody89 wrote:No words for what garrettt was thinking....sprinted up the court with his head down and chucked it up at the bucket like we only had 4 seconds left....we had 12 seconds that is sooo much time, and it was off foul shots where we had time to think....I wouldn't blame Hurley on that last play, looked like a very unintelligent play by the PG
That's where only having one timeout with 10 minutes left in the game hurts you...
Disgaree. That's on the player.
The timeout before the 16 min media break was a waste. Hurley had to have known this game could come down to the last possession so a timeout would have been great to have. Either way I agree that Jarvis should have been more aware of the situation.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

josephski wrote:
gorhody89 wrote:No words for what garrettt was thinking....sprinted up the court with his head down and chucked it up at the bucket like we only had 4 seconds left....we had 12 seconds that is sooo much time, and it was off foul shots where we had time to think....I wouldn't blame Hurley on that last play, looked like a very unintelligent play by the PG
That's where only having one timeout with 10 minutes left in the game hurts you...
It was off free throws plenty of time to get organized plan of attack. And rewAtch marquis buzzer beater 3 at Dayton literally same situation , 14 secs down by 2...
0 x
Clapton is God
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Looked like martin was in the last time Dayton was at the line. Not sure.. If so Hurley was playing small like. Dayton... Heaven forbid we take advantage of their lack of size and pound the ball down low
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

There is ZERO reason for ANYONE on this board to try and justify how/why we will win our next big road game.

I don't care what the circumstances are, there is NOTHING that should convince us we will win our next big road game.

Posters kept saying how we should win this game. No.

We cannot and probably will not beat quality opponents on the road.
1 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Jarvis has regressed more than any player I can remember.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I was out tonight coaching my son's team (we lost in OT, thanks for asking). Got home, turned on TV and watched the last 4 minutes. Exactly what I expected when I turned it on: URI losing, giving up easy buckets while URI struggles to score, missed FT's...and a terrible not-even-last-second shot.

I am disappointed that I'm not even disappointed anymore. Apathy setting in. Groundhog Day.

N-I-T!!! N-I-T!!! Get your tickets now.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Pretty weird last 5 minutes.

I don't really know what to think except we have 4 losses now to lesser teams.

I'm just frankly puzzled at this point.....

We need some of our local sports writers to do some digging....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not sure how anyone thinks that was some sort of "play" that was called.
That was all JG.
Our biggest strength, our back court, has let us down on numerous occasions.
Jarvis, no offense, was awful in the 2nd half. -12 when he was in the game. A Junior PG has to give us more in a game of this magnitude.
Scoochie ate his lunch.
Hassan has to be hurt, that sucks big time.

Only positives are the ball moved well for a lot of the game again, good 3 pt shooting and Dowtin keeps getting better. Maybe he starts stealing minutes at PG.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

ram1980 wrote:Looked like martin was in the last time Dayton was at the line. Not sure.. If so Hurley was playing small like. Dayton... Heaven forbid we take advantage of their lack of size and pound the ball down low
Steve and Don think that he is still not 100% and couldn't keep up...
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RIFan wrote:Jarvis has regressed more than any player I can remember.
wonder how much this is an effect of having kids? he's still a kid himself, and juggling school, a family and basketball cant be easy
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

hrstrat57 wrote:Pretty weird last 5 minutes.

I agree on first two lines, not sure what the last line means....care to elaborate?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RIFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
RIFan wrote:
Isn't that our MO?
We weren't in control most of the game. We won the first ten minutes handily, drew the next 25 minutes and lost the last five.
I think that is overstating it. We clung to some sort of a lead for part of 15 minutes - from about 5 minutes in the first half to about 10 minutes on second half - the they took over.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
RIFan wrote:Jarvis has regressed more than any player I can remember.
wonder how much this is an effect of having kids? he's still a kid himself, and juggling school, a family and basketball cant be easy
I was thinking the same thing.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

TruePoint wrote:
RIFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
I think that is overstating it. We clung to some sort of a lead for part of 15 minutes - from about 5 minutes in the first half to about 10 minutes on second half - the they took over.
All you have to do is cling and win by one.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP, what's the issue with Hassan? If he's done, so are we.......even if we won this game.....why would he sit at the end if he isn't hurt?

JG is not clutch.....but we knew that......his BB IQ isn't close to what we need out there in clutch spots....

Same old, same old.......never changes.......Russell had better be our future "go to" guy, because we don't have one right now.

Maybe we need different players on the court at the end of games.....Dowtin maybe? Stan?

P.S. We are not dancing this year.......and I'm not blaming DH for all of this......except these are "his" players.......

RIFan, if JG's head isn't in the game, what the fuck is he doing out there with the ball for the last play?
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Tom98 wrote:For what it's worth I still can't believe how clutch these teams are down the stretch against us. I mean we really never get any luck whatsoever where a team just misses a couple shots. Every team hits in crunch time against us...EVERY TIME.... usually the bounce of the ball just has to go your way.,.... never for us. Seriously how is that possible that we never get the bounce...it's unreal

This is true. But we also can never seem to make a big play. Offensively or defensively.
0 x
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

A couple minutes into the broadcast the announcers said that Hassan was on a 20-23 minute limit. Box Score says he finished with 20 so maybe Dan,the staff, and medical people were adamant that he not go beyond that
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......next big road game?.....for me from here out all road games are big cause they are road games....equals potential trip ups we can't afford now....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RamZone72 wrote:A couple minutes into the broadcast the announcers said that Hassan was on a 20-23 minute limit. Box Score says he finished with 20 so maybe Dan,the staff, and medical people were adamant that he not go beyond that
if thats the case, why burn the minutes in the 1st half? simply logic would say save him for the 2nd half where it matters more....oh, right
1 x
---
---
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

RamZone72 wrote:A couple minutes into the broadcast the announcers said that Hassan was on a 20-23 minute limit. Box Score says he finished with 20 so maybe Dan,the staff, and medical people were adamant that he not go beyond that
I really hope that is not the reason. If he had a firm 23 minute limit then he should have been in there for the last 3 minutes. There must be more to it. He must have felt some pain.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Holy fuck we lost a winnable game! Shocker. This doesnt kill the season tho jesus. That last play was all garrett not hurley, this is not the first time he did that at the end of the game. Encouraged by the play in the first half and the guys clawing back in the second. Still dissapointed in the outcome of course.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Steve did say Hass played about the same min as the previous game. They had tech difficulties so we didn't get much more on the post game. Even the broadcast faded at the end...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

19 assists on 22 baskets
48% from three - with 10 makes
You don't normally lose a game with those stats.

10 Turnovers from our veteran back court. FML
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

It's real scary that these are seniors and juniors who act or make freshman type plays down the stretch of close games, especially against the good teams. When they were freshmen, we said they are young and growing. Last year, they lose EC and were feeling there way. Not they are all seniors and juniors and are doing the same thing. Dowtin, fwiw, didn't seem like he was rattled or affected at all. Maybe he just has a higher basketball IQ
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree with all of that Gio.
Dowtin has to have earned someone's minutes. He has looked solid and unafraid.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Yeah Hassan was supposed to be on a minute count. thought I heard up to 24. But he didn't play the last 9 minutes of so. What kind of distribution or minutes is that? And we had the lead a good portion of the game. You can always use your best player the last few minutes of the game, a close game.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:Agree with all of that Gio.
Dowtin has to have earned someone's minutes. He has looked solid and unafraid.

yup, same with stan. i want to see JG's minutes slashed. Give him a chance to reset and find his game
0 x
---
---
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Yea wanna F'n laugh right now if my money was on the line I'd have Dowtin take the last shot.
How's that for spineless upperclassmen.
REVERSE THE CURSE!
GO RHODY!
0 x
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

Dan Hurley on Hassan Martin -- 'I think we're going to reevaluate him tomorrow. He didn't look good out there. Didn't move well.'

Not a good sign here and his future looks foggy. He can't redshirt
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

bigappleram wrote:Not sure how anyone thinks that was some sort of "play" that was called.
That was all JG.
Jarvis, no offense, was awful in the 2nd half. -12 when he was in the game. A Junior PG has to give us more in a game of this magnitude.
Scoochie ate his lunch.

Only positives are the ball moved well for a lot of the game again, good 3 pt shooting and Dowtin keeps getting better. Maybe he starts stealing minutes at PG.
Hit the nail on the head with Jarvis. Anyone blaming Hurley for that is out of their mind. It was on our PG, who was outplayed in every way tonight by Scoochie, trying to make up for it and be a hero in the waning seconds. Awful decision on so many levels, mainly because none of his teammates were around the basket for the inevitable miss. At least give your team a chance to get a 2nd chance rebound and bucket. Very disappointing from a veteran PG.

Hass was on minute restrictions, which makes me feel minimally better (but not really) about this game. Kuran is trending in the right direction again, which is also encouraging. Otherwise, yet another chapter in the missed opportunities season. Sadly, the A-10 isn't good enough this year to give us many more shots at resume builders. The way I see it, we have 2 biggies left with Dayton and VCU. Can't afford any bad losses going forward either.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:TP, what's the issue with Hassan? If he's done, so are we.......even if we won this game.....why would he sit at the end if he isn't hurt?
I don't know I'm not a doctor.
P.S. We are not dancing this ....
I'll bet you a steak that you're wrong.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

BPR2010 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Not sure how anyone thinks that was some sort of "play" that was called.
That was all JG.
Scoochie ate his lunch.

Hit the nail on the head with Jarvis. Anyone blaming Hurley for that is out of their mind. It was on our PG, who was outplayed in every way tonight by Scoochie, trying to make up for it and be a hero in the waning seconds. Awful decision on so many levels, mainly because none of his teammates were around the basket for the inevitable miss. At least give your team a chance to get a 2nd chance rebound and bucket. Very disappointing from a veteran PG.

Hass was on minute restrictions, which makes me feel minimally better (but not really) about this game. Kuran is trending in the right direction again, which is also encouraging. Otherwise, yet another chapter in the missed opportunities season. Sadly, the A-10 isn't good enough this year to give us many more shots at resume builders. The way I see it, we have 2 biggies left with Dayton and VCU. Can't afford any bad losses going forward either.

realistically, we need to go 4-0 in the vcu, davidson 2x, dayton games. only real chances at racking up signature wins
0 x
---
---
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Reading Koch's tweets, I'd say Hassan is done for a while, if not the rest of the year.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If the 20 minute limit is the reason Hass didn't play a second in the last 10 minutes then Dan screwed up his time management. You have to save 5 minutes for the end of the game. Treat it like he has foul trouble.

My thoughts:
Garvis can't play D. -12 for his plus minus.
He scored the first basket of the game and didn't score again.
4 ast and 5 turnovers

Rhody has 18 turnovers playing 3 & 4 guard line up
Rhody played great D in the first half and horrible D in the second (Dayton shot 65% in the 2nd). On top of 65% they had 20 FT attempts in the half. Archie adjusted and Dan dudn't.
No one protecting the lane. It was a layup drill in the 2nd. No Hass on D.

I would sit Garvis. Send a message to all the starters. Stan and Dowtin are playing better than Jarvis.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

section(105) wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Pretty weird last 5 minutes.

I agree on first two lines, not sure what the last line means....care to elaborate?
As to why we had no defense in the game at crunch time. Martin, Langevine anybody?

Injuries, discipline? Just strange. KI however laid it all out there...max effort!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't buy the minutes restriction for Hass. If he was, why not save him for some part of the last 10 minutes? That makes no sense.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If they have to shut down Hassan, the season is over. I'm waiting for Ramster's positive spin for this game.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Hassan must have hurt himself again, no? has to be. No way Hurley would have used up his minutes before the end, at least I hope not. The starting backcourt was very bad in the second half, very sloppy with the ball. Dayton was the more disciplined team. Our D was pretty bad the second half too. Really don't know what to think at this point. Don't feel like bashing them, but the starting backcourt, and especially JG, just didn't play well. The play at the end was very bad. And to me the coach has something to do with that. There was that time out with 20 or so seconds left. URI had to foul. I'm sure Hurley told the team what to do when we had the ball back. He must have told them to just take it to the rim. But he made a bad play. I guess it happens, but it seems to always happen to URI. Wearing me out. Can't get mad. Just dissapointed. Same old stuff, unfortunately, at least in the second half.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yeah, this doesn't sound good...

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 · 7m7 minutes ago

When asked if Hassan Martin reinjured his quad or just didn't have his legs, Dan Hurley said 'Probably a little bit of both.' #URI #Rams
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

We play great D every first half and we are exhausted and play Shiyyy D in the late stages second half against good teams. So how do we fix that?

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......we are what we have seen, beat up on the have nots, struggle and loose to all the equals or highers, no demonstrated ability to make the plays by players that should be counted on to deliver, more frustration, more of the same; what really really really concerns me is that we regress on some night home or away to the have nots and end any hopes of dancing.....how disappointing....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The Hass info doesn't sound promising. This was a game we needed and it was in reach, not to play him for a min. count would be silly.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:Yeah, this doesn't sound good...

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 · 7m7 minutes ago

When asked if Hassan Martin reinjured his quad or just didn't have his legs, Dan Hurley said 'Probably a little bit of both.' #URI #Rams
great. there's the built in excuse to mask the true deficiencies of the team
0 x
---
---
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

We lost this game because Dayton came out of halftime with more hustle and ball control than us. Dayton clogged up the passing lanes and that led to their 9 steals, part of the mess that was URI's 18 TO's. Allowing Dayton to get 32 points in the paint was the other killer. Dayton also had more fast break points. So much for the running rams.
Last edited by Obadiah 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

section(105) wrote:......we are what we have seen, beat up on the have nots, struggle and loose to all the equals or highers, no demonstrated ability to make the plays by players that should be counted on to deliver, more frustration, more of the same; what really really really concerns me is that we regress on some night home or away to the have nots and end any hopes of dancing.....how disappointing....

"COACHING"

THERE IS STILL TIME TO FIX THIS BUT SOMEONE NEEDS TO REALIZE WHAT"S WRONG!

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Obadiah wrote:We lost this game because Dayton came out of halftime with more hustle and ball control than us. Dayton clogged up the passing lanes and that led to their 9 steals part of the mess that was URI's 18 TO's. Allowing Dayton to get 38 points in the paint was the other killer.
So we were out coached...shocking.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Also remember that this was without their best player and they're best post player...
0 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It's really amazing that we can absolutely destroy inferior teams and then collapse against equal or better teams...just amazing. I bet Dayton will not beat either SLU or St Joes by 30+ this season...never mind both.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x