Game 14: vs. St. Joe's Tuesday, January 3rd at 7

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Game 14: vs. St. Joe's Tuesday, January 3rd at 7

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Tuesday night we host St. Joe's, who is coming off of a 68-63 win against George Washington. James Demery returned for the Hawks in that one, but in a possible break for us, leading scorer Shavar Newkirk (20.3 ppg) left before the half with what they were originally calling a left knee sprain. He had an MRI yesterday and you have to think he'll miss this one.

Kenpom.com and rpiforecast.com are in agreement about how this will go. Kenpom.com gives us an 83% chance of beating the #105 Hawks, estimating a score of 75-64. Rpiforecast says it's 82% we win this and favors us by 10.6.

A perfect Tuesday night for me looks like us protecting our home court and getting some well deserved revenge against Martelli and the Fighting Klingons with us seeing the return of Martin and Thompson so we're full steam ahead for our game at Dayton.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 14: vs. St. Joe's Tuesday, January 3rd at 7

Unread post by TruePoint »

My main concern for this one is that we are feeling ourselves after the great game at SLU and looking ahead to the big game at Dayton. This has trap game potetnial if we aren't focused, but hopefully last year's shenanigans give us a little extra incentive to put the screws to Joe's.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......no trap games when Martelli is involved on the sidelines.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Phil Martelli and his "cheap-shot" Hawks come into the Ryan Center with a 7-5 overall record and are 1-0 in conference after winning their A10 opener at Home over GW.

The Hawks have both an above average offense and defense.

As RR2 mentioned it looks like they will be without Newkirk. Will be tough for them to make up for his 20ppg.

Many of you will be happy to know that their FT% is worse than ours. Newkirk is the exception to their overall FT shooting woes and he gets ~30% of his points from the charity stripe.

I struggle to see how these guys have a shot against us at Home without Newkirk... and you have to think Coach Hurley will remind them of last year's antics... a little bit of bulletin board material.

Likely Starters:
Lamarr Kimble 6'0 Sophomore G
Charlie Brown 6'6 Freshman F
James Demery 6'6 Junior F
Nick Robinson 6'6 Freshman G
Markell Lodge 6'7 Sophomore F

Kimble averages 14.8 points per game but is a volume scorer. On the season he is shooting 36.5% from the field and 29.5% from the three-point line. They have a very good Freshman in Charlie Brown. He has played very well for the Hawks and has started every game for them this season. He is averaging 11pts/5rebs and can stroke it from beyond the arc at over 41%. Demery could be a factor but he has only played in two games for SJU after being out since the beginning of the season with a foot injury.

I strongly dislike this coach and team.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Please have a sign for Charlie Brown
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I just hope the Martelli goons don't sideline any more of our players again this season. Two players transported to the hospital in one game last year vs them was quite enough.

Last year's game at the Ryan Center recap:
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0130vymxse
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

We have played ourselves back to being on the cusp of compelling. Beat Joes and then we are looking at 10-4 @ Dayton. That will be an exciting 3 days in the lead up and watching the game.

I think Dan and his staff + the players mostly being experienced now must know that defeating St Joes in any form is something you absolutely want to do.

Its that experience and history I hope they stand on.

I can recall several A10 teams that had OOCs like ours this year and hit the A10 schedule and reeled off a ton of victories. Although no single win in the A10 can do what some of the single victories in other conferences can do for your profile, stringing together an impressive win streak does the same.

St Louis Jordair Jett's senior did it. Dayton has done it multiple times. Joes did it last year. Temple and Xavier used to do it every year at our expense.

Make it personal. Make it count.
4 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......love to see a Willis Reed esq type entry, for Hassan, into the game, if not starting.....does he sit again if we should win easily?
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Newkirk is done for the year with a torn ACL according to Rothstein.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There should be no excuses Tuesday night.......follow up with another good effort....they should be motivated for sure....

You have to feel bad for the player [Newkirk]....but I certainly don't feel bad for Martelli.....

With him done we should win by daylight and also beat them at their place....finally.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Even with him this had to be a double digit victory at our place. St Joe's will be near the bottom of the league IMO. Without Newkirk that is almost a definite.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rambone 78 wrote:There should be no excuses Tuesday night.......follow up with another good effort....they should be motivated for sure....

You have to feel bad for the player [Newkirk]....but I certainly don't feel bad for Martelli.....

With him done we should win by daylight and also beat them at their place....finally.

The day will never come when I feel the least bit of sympathy.for anyone associated with St. Joe's.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We should have our way with them.... could be a saint louis type game.
Could very well be closer than we'd like though. Ya never know.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will go 78-65 URI
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Martelli will probably have some "us against the world" pre game talk. Win the game!
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

The foul calls will be interesting. We all know that martelli has the A-10 and the refs in his pockets. Wouldn't be surprise if URI has 2 players with 3 fouls on them by half. Just depends what 2 guys it is
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

I think the New Improved Calmer Coach Hurley has led to very well officiated URI games.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

PeterRamTime wrote:We should have our way with them.... could be a saint louis type game.
I'd be shocked if it's like the SLU game. I was impressed with the SLU win but at the same time you have to remember that SLU may be the worst team we play all year. Right now even Marist and Dartmouth have a better kenpom rating than SLU.

I expect a similar game to Belmont, W&M and Holy Cross. We'll win and mostly likely maintain the lead the entire game but Joes will have their moments where they look like they could come back.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I hope we are not overconfident based on our performance against SLU. I predict a tough game.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It wouldn't hurt to play a game like we did the other night with Joe Lunardi in the house.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Martin will be a game time decision tomorrow.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I'd sit Martin again.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Aren't you concerned about rust against Dayton if he doesn't play tomorrow? This is assuming he's healthy enough to go, I don't believe he should play if he's not healthy enough to.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Vegas has URI favored by 11 1/2 points
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Aren't you concerned about rust against Dayton if he doesn't play tomorrow? This is assuming he's healthy enough to go, I don't believe he should play if he's not healthy enough to.
That's assuming the coaching staff is planning on playing Hassan against Dayton. I know almost everyone on here is assuming Hassan will be back for the Dayton game but I don't think Hurley or anyone else has specifically said that. The Dayton game is huge and a win would put us in a very good position but it's not a must win game. Worst case scenario is Hassan still isn't healthy, plays against Dayton, then we lose and he aggravates his injury causing him to sit even more games.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

josephski wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Aren't you concerned about rust against Dayton if he doesn't play tomorrow? This is assuming he's healthy enough to go, I don't believe he should play if he's not healthy enough to.
That's assuming the coaching staff is planning on playing Hassan against Dayton. I know almost everyone on here is assuming Hassan will be back for the Dayton game but I don't think Hurley or anyone else has specifically said that. The Dayton game is huge and a win would put us in a very good position but it's not a must win game. Worst case scenario is Hassan still isn't healthy, plays against Dayton, then we lose and he aggravates his injury causing him to sit even more games.
I'm assuming your reference to a must win game is due to the fact we need to win the A10 tournament to get into the dance. If you are talking about an at large bid, that game is most def a must win game.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote:
josephski wrote:
I'm assuming your reference to a must win game is due to the fact we need to win the A10 tournament to get into the dance. If you are talking about an at large bid, that game is most def a must win game.
I'm referencing an at large and I still don't think it's a must win. Like I said, it would put us in a great position but we still have Dayton and VCU at home for other top 50 win opportunities and we also have Davidson on the road as a good road win. It will be another missed opportunity if we lose and will put more pressure on us down the stretch but won't seal our chances at making the tournament as an at large. By playing Hassan even if he's injured you're turning it into a must win game.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Davidson is 7-5 right now. Not a quality win.If we get it. This team needs to beat Dayton and VCU in all games to be considered.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Rhodysk wrote:The foul calls will be interesting. We all know that martelli has the A-10 and the refs in his pockets. Wouldn't be surprise if URI has 2 players with 3 fouls on them by half. Just depends what 2 guys it is
The officiating is usually much worse when we play at Hagan for some reason. We'll be in foul trouble, thats a given, but its because of the way we play defense, not necessarily how the refs are calling the games.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote:Davidson is 7-5 right now. Not a quality win.If we get it. This team needs to beat Dayton and VCU in all games to be considered.
Agree. The A10T is winnable, but it's a crapshoot, even if you are the best team...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Davidson is 7-5 right now. Not a quality win.If we get it. This team needs to beat Dayton and VCU in all games to be considered.
I understand feeling this way, but it's not literally true.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:We should have our way with them.... could be a saint louis type game.
I'd be shocked if it's like the SLU game. I was impressed with the SLU win but at the same time you have to remember that SLU may be the worst team we play all year. Right now even Marist and Dartmouth have a better kenpom rating than SLU.
I expect a similar game to Belmont, W&M and Holy Cross. We'll win and mostly likely maintain the lead the entire game but Joes will have their moments where they look like they could come back.
I think it's nice that we won 3 straight games to go to 9-4 but these were 3 games that we always thought we were going to win. We really are not much different a team from the 6-4 team following the Houston game but our record "looks" better at 9-4, plus, the SLU game was impressive exceeding the Vegas Spread by a wide margin - on the road too.

However, even without Newkirk, I think of St Joseph's as a more dangerous team than William & Mary. I was very worried during the 2nd half of the W & M game. We got down to leads of only 4 points and 5 points numerous times in the last 12 minutes of that game.

I remember one key sequence when Jeff Dowtin hit a 12 foot jumper in the lane to bring the lead back to 7, then no points scored by either team for 2 1/2 minutes when W & M scored 2 points to make it 5 again, then W & M scored at 9:55 remaining and Dowtin his a huge 3 pointer with 9:07 to go on a nice assist from Terrell.

When Dowtin played in HS he was known for having an accurate jump shot from 12-15 feet. I had read comments from Scouts about how shooting accuracy from this range is less and less common. Jeff has hit this 12-15 foot shot numerous times already. These two shots by Dowtin were big at a time at the time - he plays like he has ice water in his veins at times. Could he be the player in Rhody's future to win the "close games" for us? Nice to see how veterans on the team, like Terrell, pass to Jeff at critical points in the game.

Hurley had said before the season start that Langevine and Dowtin were the most impressive of the incoming players in preseason, we certainly have seen that to be true with Langevine and now seeing it in Dowtin as well.

Post game W & M, Hurley's guests were Dowtin and Robinson. Vs W & M, Dowtin played 14 minutes, 4-6 FG, 1-1 on threes, 1 rebound, no TOs for 9 points. Robinson played 26 minutes, 4-8 FG, 1-2 on threes, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and no TOs for 9 points.

We need to play well to beat St Joseph's, a win against a Martelli coached team is never automatic.

This was the W & M 2 1/2 minute window:
11:30 Daniel Dixon made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by David Cohn. 48 - 53
11:14 Jeff Dowtin made Jumper. 48 - 55
10:45 Greg Malinowski Turnover. 48 - 55
10:44 Jared Terrell Steal. 48 - 55
10:42 E.C. Matthews Turnover. 48 - 55
10:42 Foul on E.C. Matthews. 48 - 55
10:42 William & Mary Timeout 48 - 55
10:32 Daniel Dixon missed Three Point Jumper. 48 - 55
10:32 Cyril Langevine Defensive Rebound. 48 - 55
10:14 Stanford Robinson missed Layup. 48 - 55
10:14 Omar Prewitt Defensive Rebound. 48 - 55
9:55 Jack Whitman made Layup. 50 - 55
9:35 Foul on Omar Prewitt. 50 - 55
9:25 Jeff Dowtin made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Jared Terrell. 50 - 58
9:07 Foul on Jeff Dowtin. 50 - 58
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dan Hurley is 1-6 vs Martelli and the Hawks during his URI tenure. The time to start work on improving that record is Tuesday night.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote:Dan Hurley is 1-6 vs Martelli and the Hawks during his URI tenure. The time to start work on improving that record is Tuesday night.
Better than his record vs Cooley.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote:Dan Hurley is 1-6 vs Martelli and the Hawks during his URI tenure. The time to start work on improving that record is Tuesday night.
Damn... didn't realize it was that bad...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
I agree with TruePoint on this one. I think that between our drought and St. Bonaventure getting porked last year that people think our resume should look like a six seed's resume in order to get into the tournament. We don't need to win our three games against Dayton and VCU to get in. Ideally we'd win one of our road games against Dayton or Davidson for the resume, but even that might not be necessary.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Martelli has owned us.....we can't take any team lightly especially St Joe's
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
I agree with TruePoint on this one. I think that between our drought and St. Bonaventure getting porked last year that people think our resume should look like a six seed's resume in order to get into the tournament. We don't need to win our three games against Dayton and VCU to get in. Ideally we'd win one of our road games against Dayton or Davidson for the resume, but even that might not be necessary.
I think we can compare our team this year with last years St. joes team the most. They beat one tourney team in the non-conference last year (Temple) which isn't as good a win as ours against Cinci, had some pretty good wins and no bad losses in the non-conference either. Then in conference, they beat good teams and only had one bad loss against Duquesne. Won the A-10 and got an 8 seed.
The A-10 was better last year. But according to RPI its not all that much better. So we have a solid path go get there.

Another thing the committee always brings up is how they take a teams record against the rest of the field into consideration.
So if Some of the smaller schools we played end up in the tournament that'll be a nice boost for us as well.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Point spread is now up to 12 points - URI favored

Tough one for Newkirk.
He was the 5th leading scorer in the A10 and off to a very good start, potential 1st team A10 candidate
He stole the ball at half court with seconds to go in the first half, was all alone going in for a layup and his ACL went

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/spor ... eason.html
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

No stream tonight? Game is on CBS sports Network and they don't stream games.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'd love to see Cyril keep his Fouls lower tonight against St Joe.
Last 2 games:
W & M Cyril had 17 rebounds in 26 minutes for an equivalent of 26 in a 40 minute game. He got 4 fouls.
SLU Cyril had 13 rebounds in 18 minutes for an equivalent of 29 in a 40 minute game. He got 3 fouls.

If Cyril and KI can keep their fouls low in the first half tonight we can provide a strong rebounding and shot blocking combination, even with HM out, vs this team who we certainly owe one against after the KI and Garrett severe injuries in last year's game.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

A friendly reminder that the St. Joe's hawk doesn't belong in Kingston

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is the link to St Joe Message Board
Interesting that some on their Board are referring to our St Joe Game thread and they cannot understand why some posters here are "chippy" towards them.
Not one mention of Iverson getting knocked out cold by Isaiah Mile, missing several games because of it, and then Jarvis Garrett getting a tooth knocked out, jaw broken, missing time and having to wear a mask the rest of the season - all in the same game at URI. And they comment on Hurley going berserk that game on the sideline - but not a single mention of these two major incidents.

3 Hours till game time

http://www.scout.com/college/saint-jose ... n-3rd-7-pm
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

It's been medically proven that SJU fans are mentally challenged. Let them read that.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Every game from here on out is big so lets treat it as such. I feel a dogfight coming until the final 10 minutes of play. Rhody by 12.
1 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Was told that while Hass has not been ruled out, it's unlikely he'll play. He's been getting an MRI once a week since the injury and the tear is closing up. I think they will be cautious, as they should. Hopefully it's looking good for Dayton.
0 x
Martyf250
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Martyf250 »

He just posted on Insta that he was "charged up" ...maybe he is playing?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I saw that insta post too - would be a bit odd for someone not planning to play. Or maybe he is just gearing anticipation up from his social media fans:)

With or without Hass, this needs to be a comfortable double digit win. If we score in the 60s it hasn't been a good night.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......let's focus on the game, for now forget Egor and the Hitmen.....solid game for us coming.....just win....don't expect it will be easy nor a cover.....TCB at home.....that's what top 25 teams are supposed to do.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodysk wrote:No stream tonight? Game is on CBS sports Network and they don't stream games.
Total drag
0 x