Game 13: St. Louis Friday Dec 30 @7:00pm ESPNU Chaifetz Arena

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 13: St. Louis Friday Dec 30 @7:00pm ESPNU Chaifetz Arena

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hey ramster, we're all happy after this one......we showed what we can do if we finally played a complete game....that has to be a positive going forward.....now just have to do this against better competition...at least it looks doable now......

What's really important is to do this in back to back games...and against Dayton where we will definitely need Hassan back.......

Our young guys are stepping up too......that's big for the future.

This positive stuff is new to me......help me out there...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

21 assists to 5 assists for SLU. Good to see us passing the ball much better and much quicker

Robinson led the team with 5 assists which equaled SLU team total

10 Blocked shots - imagine with HM?

5 Players in double figures - when has that last happened? KI=19, EC=17, JG=15, JT-12 and Jeff Dowtin=12 points and 5-5 FG including 2-2 on 3 pointers, 3 rebounds, 1 assist and no TOs.

More important than the points from the guards was their unselfishness. Assists: JG=4, EC=4, SR=5, JT=2, JD=1

DH has wanted the 3 guards to click all together - saying that after many games now..............well he got that and more with 4 guards all in double figures plus Robinson with 7 points and 5 assists, 2 steals and a block. Those 5 guards went 25-43 for 58% FG and 9-18 on 3 pointers for 50%.

Outrebounded SLU 46-31

Defense and rebounding were suffocating. As DH often says = we create our offense from our defense.

The team never let up. This group never does, at least not so far. The bench played hard always.

If we lose "heaven help us", or win by or less than the 14 point spread, then there would for sure be some "constructive criticism" on the game thread of the Coaching.
So with a 90-56 National TV Crushing of the opponent A Big Tip of the Cap to Dan Hurley and the entire Coaching staff for this performance. :D :D :D
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Hey ramster, we're all happy after this one......we showed what we can do if we finally played a complete game....that has to be a positive going forward.....now just have to do this against better competition...at least it looks doable now......

What's really important is to do this in back to back games...and against Dayton where we will definitely need Hassan back.......

Our young guys are stepping up too......that's big for the future.

This positive stuff is new to me......help me out there...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok, I'll do my best. We can now all enjoy a Happy New Year :D :D :D :D
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Crushing SLU tells me nothing. Losing at Valpo, Houston, PC (teams of equal footing) tell me more.

Beat teams that are good, show some consistency.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Well it tells you more than if we had lost, or won by 5 or won by 10, no?
One game at a time
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's the next step......take that next step, and a lot of things will change......I know it's only one game.......

Our best all around game so far this season...on the road.......it tells me that this group can be pretty good but they still have to back it up.

St. Joes will tell us a lot.....they aren't a pushover......
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We were running after made baskets. I like that. Robinson really looks to get the ball up the floor quickly. I love that. We need a few easy baskets every game.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:Well it tells you more than if we had lost, or won by 5 or won by 10, no?
One game at a time
Exactly. Not much more our guys could've done to make this win any better. SLU may be one of the worst teams we play all year but at least we took care of business without Hass and CT.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

It was great to see KI playing well out there and having fun/smiling. His body language on the court and on the bench hasn't been great. Hopefully he can build on this and bring his A-game consistently. Would be a huge boost for this team.

Great line tonight..... 32 mins, 19 pts, 8 rebs, 4 assists, 3 blocks, 0 turnovers, 1 personal foul
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RoadyJay wrote:It was great to see KI playing well out there and having fun/smiling. His body language on the court and on the bench hasn't been great. Hopefully he can build on this and bring his A-game consistently. Would be a huge boost for this team.

Great line tonight..... 32 mins, 19 pts, 8 rebs, 4 assists, 3 blocks, 0 turnovers, 1 personal foul
He was terrific. If we could get that Iverson on a regular basis we'd be tough.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

That... was awesome....
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Other than free throw shooting being bad, I would say we fouled too much.
Soooo wonderful seeing us kick ass.
If Iverson can do that more often with Hass out there dominating....nobody in the A-10 can beat us.
EC played a nice controlled game. Some ugly shots.
JT didn't shoot as well as usual.
JG made threes like he did in conference play last year.
Langevine has got rebound fever!
Akele was quiet but good.
Everybody did good stuff!
I feel encouraged!
As should they!
Get confident Rhody!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Very nice effort Rhody

KI played great as well as the whole team

Loving watching Dowtin play I like his game
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This was a "feel good" game for URI.

URI started fast which relieved the pressure of needing to score on each possession.

When Hassan returns will we see less of Cyril? If so, the net gain of Hassan's return for the team is less. Hassan will show the rust and will be foul prone when he first returns. We need him back for SJU so he will be ready for UD. Certainly, Akele will get more splinters.

KI was a force, something we see far too seldom from him and mostly against weaker opponents. This is what infuriated Josh Pastner. Let's see if KI shows up against Dayton. If so, my optimism for this season will return.

Poor foul shooting and too many air balls on open shots. URI could have scored a 100, Finally, a true road win. and a "feel good" game..

SR has begun to show the promise we were expecting.

Jeff Dowtin may be the quickest player on the team and a good defender. He is also showing some offense. Jury still out on whether he can make teammates better (assists) while making fewer mistakes (turnovers).

Too many players doing well - play tough defense and whomever fouls too much sits. My
guess is that will be KI and EC (as well as HM until he gets back to top form), both are fouling too much when they push themselves. When at full strength this team will reward DH's defend first philosophy while hurting the team's offense. You win by outscoring your opponents - not by scoring 80+ points or holding the opponents under 60. Will the gains or losses win out?
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Nice win.
When KI lets the game come to him, doesn't try to overpass and be the star, he's a player.
Also thought Jarvis had some offense tonight.
There is a ton of talent on this team.
Have to give Hurley some credit he stepped on their throat and kept his foot there.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Nothing to complain about regarding this game. Rams did what they were supposed to do by easily beating a bad team. Got their first true road win of the year. The 34 point margin was the worst loss for SLU in the 9 year history of the Chaifetz Arena.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Dowtin looks like a pure scorer, and looks like he could be very good at it. He's starting to come into his own.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

UCH21377 wrote:Dowtin looks like a pure scorer, and looks like he could be very good at it. He's starting to come into his own.
His jump shot is very awkward, more like a set shot. Will be tough to get that off against better competition.

But yes, he looks MUCH more comfortable out there.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Alright alright alrighttt we finally moved on from beating bad teams by 10 points and delivered a complete game. We reached our potential without hass and Christian. Watch out A10.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Iverson at the foul line against a zone is the answer to running a good offense no matter who the opposition is. For some reason we did not see that very much in the previous games.
Berry still weak on defense. I don't remember him being like that last year when he played a lot of minutes when Hass went down at the end of the year.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote:
UCH21377 wrote:Dowtin looks like a pure scorer, and looks like he could be very good at it. He's starting to come into his own.
His jump shot is very awkward, more like a set shot. Will be tough to get that off against better competition.

But yes, he looks MUCH more comfortable out there.

Said it during the last game. His shot and offensive game is unorthodox, for sure, but looks effective. Doesn't have to be pretty to be effective. He gets that shot off quickly from 3, and fades a little bit. We'll see, but I like what I'm seeing out of him.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

eli#10 wrote:Iverson at the foul line against a zone is the answer to running a good offense no matter who the opposition is. For some reason we did not see that very much in the previous games.
Berry still weak on defense. I don't remember him being like that last year when he played a lot of minutes when Hass went down at the end of the year.

Yes Andre is struggling. Wonder if we'll start seeing more of Leyssard now.
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

When Hurley said we "ride or die" with EC he lied. We ride or die depending on the game Kuran is having. When he is great he is great.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dowtin does have a jump shot. He's just not strong enough to use it from behind the 3 point line yet. There was a play last night where he dribbled into the lane and pulled up for a normal looking jump shot. After on off season working with Marshall, I think you'll see him be able to do more things next year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Had to like what you saw last night but also weigh how bad SLU is this year. Them and Duquesne are the likely cellar dwellers this year.

Real positives that can translate to future games:
-EC on a couple occasions made the extra pass, acted as a playmaker and found the open man. If he can let game come to him and try to get his points on 10-12 shots we are a much better team.

-Langevine looks to be a steal. Still very raw offensively, but could be best pure rebounder we have had here in a long time. Dan wil have to figure out what to do with him when Hass returns, he's earned meaningful minutes moving forward.

-Dowtin's shot is unorthodox but thus far effective and beyond that he had a nice athletic drive to the hole last night and finished with his left hand and looked smooth doing it.

-21 assists on 36 makes, much closer to 60% and where you want to be. Dan needs to stress making the extra pass with this group, Garrett, Terrell, Iverson and Robinson are all good passers. We have a bunch of guys who can score in different ways we are dynamic when we are moving the ball and pedestrian when we aren't. Easier said than done but need to see that type of play against stiffer defense.

-As others have said and I agree with, Iverson is an x Factor.
3 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Some guy named Dawan Robinson used a set shot from deep.
I think he was pretty good.
Whatever works.

Agree with BAR 100%
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Iverson not X factor. IMHO he is THE factor.

He goes good we go good. High post in 1/2 court set looks to be Dean Smith like genius move.

We shall see how this team performs in front of 13k red sweaters shortly.

I had that one penciled in as a loss in our 15-3 conference run.....

Barbecue some Hawk first....
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Would it shock any of you if I told you that Koch found a way to mention our loss to PC and how we lost our top 25 ranking, in his article about the St Louis game in today's projo?
2 x
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

eli#10 wrote:Iverson at the foul line against a zone is the answer to running a good offense no matter who the opposition is. For some reason we did not see that very much in the previous games.
Iverson was always in foul trouble, thats why he wasnt kn the foul line against the zone.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Langevine, Iverson Dowtin and Robinson impressed last night. It looked like Iverson was licking his chops going against a smaller opponent.
He knew right away he could dominate him and did. langevine is always around the basket to pick up any rebounds. Great to have a guy
like him out there. Dowtin looked very comfortable . He looks like he can be the player they think he can be. His confidence is growing.
Robinson played a very good all around game. he is an unselfish player but he has shown he can shoot and also finish at the hole. Hope they remember
to move the ball as they did last night in upcoming games. May be they can still have the great year that was anticipated before the season.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why don't we have a way to delete duplicate posts?
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

How about a tip of the cap to the much maligned Jarvis Garrett?
He had a great game, despite sitting 10 minutes early in the 2nd half
because of the Will Daniels dreaded THREE fouls.
Remember, Jarvis was a 50% 3 point shooter in A-10 p-lay
last year.
When he's on, nobody on this team has a better stroke.
2 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Garrett played great. Seemed like he played off the ball a little more than normal yesterday. Saw Robinson bring it up a few times.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The two biggest things from last night from a team perspective (putting aside some great individual performances although they're obviously related) are 21:8 assist/turnover ratio and great shooting from the floor on both twos (56%) and threes (50%) (ironically, probably the worst FT shooting we will have all year). The latter may not be repeatable on a nightly basis, as shooting percentages will fluctuate, but the former more or less could be. If you take care of and share the basketball, the offensive efficiency will improve as a result. And that's been an area of concern for me to this point in the season.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Good blowout win on the road in conference.

SLU is REALLY bad so keeping this win in its proper perspective is key.

That being said, great to see team chemistry improving. Guys seemed to really understand their roles last night.

Incredible energy from KI. Played within himself and played passionately. Agree with others that he is a huge factor in how successful this team can be. Speaking of energy...Cyril's energy is infectious. I really believe on some level KI's inspired play last night and Cyril's energy are connected.

Solid games by EC, JG, JT, Stan and Dowtin. Not that any player should focus on stats but I think EC should maybe aim to average 5 assists per game...just a thought? This team needs to adopt the Warrior's philosophy. Spread the wealth. EC had 4 assists and for the most part seemed to be making a conscious effort to get others involved.

Lastly, I think Andre Berry played himself out of the rotation. Not that he was really in the rotation but his performance last night clearly showed he is not ready defensively to contribute in any meaningful way. It's too bad because it's hard to find big men with his offensive skill set. With Hass and CT coming back soon that brings the rotation to ten guys which is a good number to weather foul trouble and injuries
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

With the outstanding offensive and defensive efficiency numbers last night, Rhody improved from 44 to 38 in KenPom.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Berry looked and has looked recently not too good.

I liked Iverson taking a leadership role out there. Felt that was obvious in the first half that he was really looking to bring Langevine under his wing.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What I liked last night was we moved the ball, played much better half court offense, and generally played more uptempo with good results.

Granted, it was St. Louis, but it shows that we can play better team ball......

Should be good film study going forward.....
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ramster wrote:Well it tells you more than if we had lost, or won by 5 or won by 10, no?
One game at a time
Not true, a loss would tell me more...that URI stinks. A win tells me nothing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
One game at a time
So if a loss to SLU tells you URI stinks wouldn't that mean a win says URI doesn't stink? Could there a positive here?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree on Diwtins outside shot not pretty but if it goes in I am all for it
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
One game at a time
So if a loss to SLU tells you URI stinks wouldn't that mean a win says URI doesn't stink? Could there a positive here?
I wouldn't bother banging my head against this particular wall
2 x