Non-Conference Grades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Non-Conference Grades

Unread post by RoadyJay »

As the Non-Conference schedule has come to a close I thought it an appropriate time to submit grades.

I have not considered individual grades (yet), but I did grade each game to come up with an overall Non-Conference grade.
NonConfGrading.png
NonConfGrading.png (5.34 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
The games against better opponents I weighted more heavily than our games against lesser teams. Overall, I came up with a C+. I predicted a non-conference record of 9-3 prior to the start of the season so they lost one more game than I expected. I think a C+ reflects this and says that the team didn't meat my expectations. However, it also gives them credit for the solid win against Cincinnati along with no bad losses. Credit is also due for playing without Hass and CT and going 3-1 in those 4 games. Change any of the Valpo, PC, or Houston losses into a win and my overall grade jumps up to a B-.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Non-Conference Grades

Unread post by Rhody15 »

D.

0-3 on the road, all winnable games, but we lose in typical fashion.

We needed to be minimum 2-1 in those games.

Cincy win is the only game saving it from being a F.
2 x
Go Rhody
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

So you were expecting 10-2 at a minimum and really you think we should have gone 11-1? A D is harsh. C+ might be generous but a D is not fair.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm almost leaning more B- in my honest opinion. Slight bias/hope, but I mostly agree with that report, don't show dad. Houston game is a little low, we were winning then just gave up so thats a C for me. Onto A10 play.
0 x
GO RAMS
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I gave the Houston game a D because our defense was really bad. It was by far our worst defensive performance of the year.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

In aggregate we should have won at least one of those 3 tough games during the 4 game stretch. I think a D for that stretch is fair. Win one of those 3, its a C, 2 is a B, swept Valpo, Prov, Houston would have been an A.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

C overall

Houston was far from a D, we just let Gray steal the game

PC of course was an F = classic choke job and the stain that will keep on giving the whole year long.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Hard for me to give an F for any of our losses. If we got blown out an F would be justified. Close losses to good teams on the road (even though we should have won) can't be an F.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

We started in the top 25. Are we there now? Are we even close? We started as a 5 seed (for what that's worth). Now we are an 11, maybe, assuming we win the A10.

We haven't totally failed but we haven't exactly excelled. C-, IMHO
1 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

I would lean closer to a C/C- for the Valpo game. Last inbounds play was horrific, but it was the first true road game played and Alec Peters was a monster out there.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Providence and Valpo are, in the famous words of Mr. Lillibridge, "effs."

Hard to remember ever being more disappointed in this basketball program than I was walking out the Civic Center that night. It's one thing to just not have the talent, but it's an entirely different thing to clearly have the better talent and fail for other reasons.

I don't want to be too harsh overall because realistically the show goes on and there is a lot out there in front of this team if they want it, but I will not sugarcoat what those games were, at least to me on a personal level. #neverforget
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

thatRamBand wrote:I would lean closer to a C/C- for the Valpo game. Last inbounds play was horrific, but it was the first true road game played and Alec Peters was a monster out there.
I think a C/C- is justifiable. I just wish we did something to disrupt Peters in the second half and make someone else beat us.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

URI had no answer for Peters our perfect offensive opponent storm....

We should have had the firepower to score 66 points.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

C- due to expectations coming into this season and because we barely "passed" the OCC schedule. A loss to Cincy and win vs Penn State would have changed this grade to an F.

Achieve a record that's closer to an A grade for conference play which will even out the C- and we'll be in the tournament.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

josephski wrote:Achieve a record that's closer to an A grade for conference play which will even out the C- and we'll be in the tournament.
I think it'll take a 13-5 record (no bad losses) and at least one A10 tourney win to sneak us in "The Big Dance." Committee will applaud the fact we challenged ourselves in the non-conference.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

the OOC is a D...the only reason its not an F is the Cincy win. Everyone we beat except Cincy, we would most likely have beat in all but our worst seasons anyway.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RoadyJay wrote:
josephski wrote:Achieve a record that's closer to an A grade for conference play which will even out the C- and we'll be in the tournament.
I think it'll take a 13-5 record (no bad losses) and at least one A10 tourney win to sneak us in "The Big Dance." Committee will applaud the fact we challenged ourselves in the non-conference.
Agreed. Although I think 13-5 will be heavily dependent on the wins. Two wins against Dayton and we probably could afford a bad loss somewhere in there. No wins against Dayton and 13-5 may not be enough.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

RoadyJay wrote:So you were expecting 10-2 at a minimum and really you think we should have gone 11-1? A D is harsh. C+ might be generous but a D is not fair.
I was. A top 25 or even top 35 team wins games that they have a 5+ lead in with under 10 mins left. Losses to duke and its a pick em with Cinci. Once they beat Cinci I certainly expected them to take care of business.

It all depends on the standards and expectations. Give me their record right now under the circumstances of DH's first 4 years and I say ok. But eventually you have to beat your rival. I get it too, throw out PC and just say any generic team, I think that team must beat their rival sometimes.

It comes down to when Dan or other ppl say this is the best team URI has had in however many years. I expect that team to be better than anything I saw from 05-10. I dont see that. THOSE teams explained their losses and had excuses. The fact of the matter is there are 68 teams each year taking a shot at the dance. When you aren't in the top 68 of your profession then I lose enthusiasm and am disappointed.

Still I like all the kids. Really like all of our guys abilities. Love DH's fire. I hold URI in a higher regard than most on this board. But certainly disappointed so far.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

C- or D+......take your pick....neither is very good.......

0-3 on the road, very winnable games.....some poor games at home also......Cincy win keeps the grade above D-.........this is also accounting for Hassan's absence.....

Spurts of good play are all that remains of hope that things might get better.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

C...only because expectation was 8-4 and that's where they landed... a somewhat disappointing C tho, given they should have won at least two more.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am going to give a grade of C

I felt we underachieved since we were too 25 preseason
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

How many of you expected us to go 8-4?
I sure didn't.
We get a C-
It's not a D because we beat Cinci.
The way we lost those four games were sickening. There's no reason we should continue to be that bad on offense with the talent we have. And the lack of mental toughness is ridiculous.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote:How many of you expected us to go 8-4?
I sure didn't.
We get a C-
The way we lost those four games were sickening. There's no reason we should continue to be that bad on offense with the talent we have. And the lack of mental toughness is ridiculous.
I believe there were quite a few 8-4 OOC predictors....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

yeah "Ram Tough", one of Hurley's promises, hasn't materialized........that's the mindset that wins the close ones.....
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Cminus/D.
Do we ever overachieve?
I don't recall that, since CFL's
2nd season.
This season is S.O.S.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I sure didn't.
We get a C-
PRT speak it!

I want to say D, but we didn't lose to a 'bad' team and we did beat Cincy.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
I sure didn't.
We get a C-
I believe there were quite a few 8-4 OOC predictors....
9 of 71 predicted 8-4 for the OOC Schedule.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Non-conference was a stinker. Don't care what grade you give it. URI is not even a top-50 team based on the eye test.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

ramster wrote:9 of 71 predicted 8-4 for the OOC Schedule.
So, at least 9 Rhody fans are not disappointed with OOC results and if one extrapolates that's 12.7% of Rhody fans that think Rhody has lived up to expectations thus far. Not good.

Pre-season, national analysts believed we were a top 25 team and we are not currently, that's what you call not playing up to expectations. Those analysts wrongly assumed we would pull off a road win or two in OOC play, they should refer to KMac and the 9 forum members here that understood we would not win on the road against decent teams. It's like the old SNL skits, if we just lower our expectations we'll all fell so much better.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Unfortunately we did not live up to the hype
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's real simple from here on out.

Continue to play like we did in the OOC games, and we will not go 13-5 or better in conference.

That's it in a nutshell. Hassan or no Hassan......well without Hassan we won't, that much is obvious.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote:
So, at least 9 Rhody fans are not disappointed with OOC results and if one extrapolates that's 12.7% of Rhody fans that think Rhody has lived up to expectations thus far. Not good.

Pre-season, national analysts believed we were a top 25 team and we are not currently, that's what you call not playing up to expectations. Those analysts wrongly assumed we would pull off a road win or two in OOC play, they should refer to KMac and the 9 forum members here that understood we would not win on the road against decent teams. It's like the old SNL skits, if we just lower our expectations we'll all fell so much better.
I picked 8-4 and I wouldn't consider myself "not disappointed"...I thought there would be 1 loss at Mohegan Sun and 3 others. I did NOT think there would be three other teams "better than URI' that they "should" lose to...but thought that there would be 3 other games that they "would" lose because of (fill in the blank). Huge difference...they lived up to what I 'expected', but that doesn't make me 'not disappointed', so put one of those 9 back on the 'disappointed' side..
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, I again fell for the hype [or hope] by predicting 10-2....figured we'd also win one at MS, and lose one of the 3 road games.......

I should know better....unless/until we actually do shit, not falling for that again......

Might happen, when the next coach happens.....
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I thought two losses. One at Mohegan, and maybe Valpo, because it was a pure
road game.
I didn't expect a loss to a rebuilding PC, or a loss to nothing Houston (with or without Hassan).
Thus, a D.
When was the last time we overachieved, instead of underachieved?
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, we haven't played well for a full 40 minutes yet this season.....against everyone good and bad and in between.....

That's a major problem......it's not just the W's and L's......like others have said, we're failing the eye test in a big way.....

We have enough talent [with Hassan] to Dance this season...even though it's not as much as maybe thought going in......

There was only one team we played, or we will play this season that has more [Duke]........

But that talent is being wasted......
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I thought 4 losses, 'just because of what I learned from watching last year'...although, I think I may have overshot the conference mark...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, somehow, some way, some day, we have to start winning close games against good teams......

Whatever it takes to get that done, URI has to do it......I know things move at a glacial pace when it come to coaching changes here....that's an issue....

And for some of you here.....I will give Dan the benefit of whatever doubt remains...until the end of this season......
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote:

I was only answering the question from PRT as to how many predicted 8-4.
I don't know to what degree those 9 of 71 were disappointed or not.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I am not sure if this has been posted anywhere but I just looked through DH's OOC AWAY schedule here the past 5 years...

The Record

Season 12-13 1-3 (Beat Auburn in OT)

Season 13-14 2-4 (Beat Brown and LSU)

Season 14-15 1-1 (Beat Southern Miss)

Season 15-16 1-2 (Beat Brown)

Season 16-17 0-3 (Beat Nobody)

Total Record is 5-13

Dan has never swept a home and home series here in 5 years.

This does not account for any of the tournaments we played in.

So DH has a couple wins over Brown on the East side and then 3 wins in the deep south. Of course 13 losses. Past 3 years 2-6 in true OOC road games.

They should schedule another lower level SEC team and go beat them. Probably has something to do with them underestimating a team from RI.

Well, luckily we get those road games @ Brown.

[EDIT] Some of those early tournaments had us play away games such as @Arizona or @VaTech.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We were lucky to beat Brown at Brown last year.......we are dynamite on the road....as in "blown up".......

Good thing Dayton is in our conference.......one of those things that is hard to explain......
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Lucky to beat Brown last year, but still...one of the most exciting games I've been to in person. Got there early with the kids...Hurls spotted us in our Rhody gear, talked to us for a few minutes before the game (dang, he can be such a nice guy)...seemed like everyone was "out", he told us we might see Rex the longsnapper out there that night... Down 15 with about 10 minutes to go...tiny loud gym...was a lot of fun to be at.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, that was another "road" game that had it's fair share of Rhody fans...just like Mohegan was against Cincy.......

Also was a very rare occasion, as was the Cincy game, where we came from behind to win at the end......

Maybe you're their good luck charm......book a flight to St. Louis, and quick!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LOL.....was a game they should've won without OT, etc.

I am NOT a good luck charm either...Last year, in addition to Brown, went to:

@St. Joes' L 72-67
@UMass L 61-56
@Fordham L 64-61
A10T vs UMass L 67-62

Tellin' ya, the only thing worse than driving for hours to a game and seeing your team lose...is driving back afterwards.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Losses stick with me, 208, they really do.....and the way we lose makes it worse, way worse.....and it's been going on for way too many years....it was bad enough when we lost those nutcrushers in 1978, 1988, and 1998.....but ever since then I've hoped we could return to at least something close to those opportunities for glory.....

WHEN will we ever have those chances again? I thought when DH came on board, those days would finally return soon.....no such luck I'm afraid.....

Thank God my other faves the Giants and Yankees have had plenty of success over the years....yes they lose some tough ones too, but at least they've won plenty enough to more than balance things out......

While URI remains in purgatory........
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The frustrating part is of those Valpo PC and Houston games we were right there and went 0-3. The only game we had no shot was Duke
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:The frustrating part is of those Valpo PC and Houston games we were right there and went 0-3.

You are correct. The problem is not that they lost to a Valpo, PC, or Houston. The problem is that they lost to all three.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I thought two losses. One at Mohegan, and maybe Valpo, because it was a pure
road game.
I didn't expect a loss to a rebuilding PC, or a loss to nothing Houston (with or without Hassan).
Thus, a D.
When was the last time we overachieved, instead of underachieved?
I keep seeing people say a "rebuilding PC" team. Outside of the game at BC, do they look like a rebuilding team to anyone? I fell for it too. If people knew how good PC would be this year, would that have changed people's minds going into the season?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They are playing much closer to their capabilities than we are.......that's the mark of a good coaching staff.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Losing to Providence = meh and thousands of empty seats....

Didn't matter if they go to the final four, can't loose that game the way we did (choke)

It's a long road back from that disappointment. Other than the KB forum anybody talking Rhode Island Ram basketball?

c r I c k e t s
1 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

I originally thought two ooc losses;i am not downgrading the performance for a couple of close losses

I would consider a b performance about right now.for those at c minus or d ,I guess you couldn't find a

grade for the 4-8 womens' team
0 x