Elite guard play = 11-0 ? Interesting read

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Elite guard play = 11-0 ? Interesting read

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

http://m.independentri.com/mobile/indep ... 0784c.html

I didn't see this one posted yet if it's a duplicate lodge please feel free to delete
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Elite guard play = 11-0 ? Interesting read

Unread post by TruePoint »

This thread is awesome lol
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Maybe Siri knows my posts are "lodged" in mediocrity.....

:)
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Read the quotes in that article and tell me Hurley is Baron 2.0. Baron would always make excuses and say the players need to play better. Hurley said more than once that it was on him to figure it out.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

At least Hurley admitted he needs to do a better job in figuring out how to get those guys to play together. Only problem is we're 11 games into the season so there's not exactly a lot of time to figure it out. It's kind of weird because I think EC being out last year really helped Terrell and Garrett develop as players but they did so by being the leaders of the team and our main offensive weapons. Now you throw EC back in the mix and they need to adjust their games from the way they played last year.

Right now I'd say there was better chemistry last year between Terrell, Garrett and Four than there currently is between Terrell, Garrett and EC.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Read the quotes in that article and tell me Hurley is Baron 2.0. Baron would always make excuses and say the players need to play better. Hurley said more than once that it was on him to figure it out.
Maybe he needs to, but maybe the players need to figure it out, too. Just watching top teams like Duke, KY, L'ville and UNC play last night...almost seemed like a different game a lot of the time I know they have a different class of athlete, I get that...but...their play just seemed so fluid, like...they knew what they were going to do and moved naturally...Rhody players seem to have to hesitate and think before anything happens...no flow... Someone in another post suggested the players playing looser like in a pick up game. Seems some of that could be better than standing around because one guy forgot the spot he was sposed to run to, because he's being yelled at from the bench at the same time. It'll prob never happen, but maybe Hurls should try, even just once, a "sit down and be more hands off, let 'em play" game....

Dammit I hope they figure it out...I much prefer being one of the chief optimists. Trust me, it won't take 'much' to get me going, but they have to show 'something'....
1 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I would say having a more balanced roster, having players with different skill sets(ie multiple legitimate back to basket post threat), would make us much more difficult to defend simply because the defense has to account for so much more....but i am beating a dead horse with that one
Last edited by gorhody89 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Clapton is God
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:At least Hurley admitted he needs to do a better job in figuring out how to get those guys to play together. Only problem is we're 11 games into the season so there's not exactly a lot of time to figure it out. It's kind of weird because I think EC being out last year really helped Terrell and Garrett develop as players but they did so by being the leaders of the team and our main offensive weapons. Now you throw EC back in the mix and they need to adjust their games from the way they played last year.

Right now I'd say there was better chemistry last year between Terrell, Garrett and Four than there currently is between Terrell, Garrett and EC.
Hurley admitted he needs to do a better job of getting the guard play improved in this article, but this is not the first time. In post game shows and on his Monday Night Chats he has been saying this. He has been taking the blame for sure, but he has also been challenging the players. On one show he was saying how KI has to figure it our defensively, be more aggressive, get better position, etc. He said the tapes don't lie and everyone can see over and over again what they did wrong. DH said that teams were making their game plans around taking it right at KI so he has to step up.

Fur sure you almost never heard Baron say anything was up to him. It was always the players not shooting well enough, not rebounding well enough, never him. Night and Day between Baron and Hurley.

If the 3 guards do not figure it out between then I expect to see more and more of Robinson and Dowtin.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

gorhody89 wrote:I would say having a more balanced roster, having players with different skill sets(ie multiple legitimate back to basket post threat), would make us much more difficult to defend simply because the defense has to account for so much more....but i am beating a dead horse with that one
Agree with that...being more balanced and difficult to defend would be great...but for now...just some 'natural movement' or 'flow' would be awesome. Everyone that touches the ball, or is even moving to another spot...looks like they are so lost in concentrating on what they are 'supposed to do', that there's not much fluid motion and everything seems like a 'surprise' that they have to stop and think about it. Maybe they should try playing the way that I (and a few others, I dare say) post here...'act first, think later'...'less think, more do'... :lol: :lol:

GO RHODY...BIG win tonight, please!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Saying things and executing them is a different story.
So, he sort of recognizes a problem, but what's he doing about it?
What have they been doing in practice since October?
Basketball is the most instinctive game of the major sports.
You always hear about player X being
"creative' in passing or getting shots.
That stuff can;t be scripted in Xs and Os.
Somewhere there's a balance between micro coaching every play,
and Jerry D's rolling the ball out and seeing what happens.
BTW, did anyone see Pitino, Calipari or Coach K up and
screaming on every play, last night?
Me neither.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

In terms of balanced roster, I would have loved to see Four on this years team. A guy who can come off the bench and give you an offensive spark. Hoping that when CT comes back he can possibly be that guy. I was looking at his stats and he's only taken 21 shots but 15 of those have been 3s. Maybe Hurley encourages him to take some more shots and see if he can be a guy who can get hot from 3 coming off the bench.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

They weren't up and yelling every play but I did see Cal cussing out a guy for not realizing there was only 10 seconds on the shot clock. Slightly amusing moment.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Exactly. They get up to make a point to a player or a ref's call.
When they do it, they get more noticed than the
white noise of someone screaming from opening tap to final buizzer.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If a team wants to play uptempo they HAVE to play more instinctively.......we don't, so we can't.....

Micromanaging means slow ball.......if Dan wants a faster pace, he has to let go of the reins a lot more.......looks like he's really reluctant to do that......

Do they play fast in practice? If they do, do they play well? Of course who knows......nobody can see them.....

If we only had a Penders on our bench.....and allowed to run the offense......these guys are good athletes, and they are not dumb......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I started my HC career as a micro manager never sat screamed and yelled, called every play.

One game a former HS coach of mine was ref of one of my games. I called a time out went to the scorers table for some reason and he said to me " that's a great team you have there. Why don't you sit down and let your PG (my kid actually) run the team?"

I had immense respect for the guy/ and him for me and we were down maybe 10 with the team playing tight so I figured what the heck. Told the team in the timeout push the ball fill the lanes and do just like we did in practice....and told my kid if he pulled the team up for a half court set call a play.

Of course we only had four plays and 2 inbound plays straight out of Dean Smith's book. ( correct I never personally drew up a play in my life I stole everything from Coach Smith)

Well, I think we won about 10 in a row, we'd done the hard work in practice I just needed to turn the boys loose....

14 yr olds aren't 18-22 elite D1 players I know but man oh man this Ram team is talented. I see a lot of myself in Dan and it hurts to watch sometimes.

Turn em loose. Can't hurt. Tonight's a good night to try it.

Go Rhody.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

57, great post...why not? It's something many of us have called for......will it ever happen with DH?
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:57, great post...why not? It's something many of us have called for......will it ever happen with DH?
Didn't happen tonight bone....

Man Rhody is one tight team....maybe Hassan return will help loosen this group up.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

57, I don't see it......we are a horrible passing team.....selfish plays EC is the worst culprit......we had 10 assists in the first half......2nd half?

We also don't shoot well enough from deep.....no inside offense for the most part.....we don't have enough players who play O and D well enough together...a bunch of loose ends that DH doesn't know how to tie together.....

Imagine if this was a good team we played tonight....this would have been an L for sure.

Where have Terrell and Garrett gone? Anybody see them? And we know they can play....but not right now.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hard to believe the three of those guys haven't all hit double figs in the same game that needs to change
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

0 x