Game 12: William and Mary Thursday Dec 22 @7:00pm Ryan Center

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Game 12: William and Mary Thursday Dec 22 @7:00pm Ryan Center

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Good offensive team... Weak defensive team

We should be able to get everyone going on offense in this one... Let's hope the defense shows up too (usually does) and we put together a solid all around effort.

They are currently 4-4 heading into tonight's game against Savannah State. 2 of their 4 wins are against non-D1 schools. The other 2 wins are against 300+ RPI teams.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 12: William and Mary Thursday Dec 22 @7:00pm Ryan Center

Unread post by section(105) »

.......EC should go for 30ish......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

section(105) wrote:.......EC should go for 30ish......
He probably will... to make up for the 0 yesterday
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

William & Mary defeats Savannah State 112-85

William & Mary had 6 players in double figures with 2 off the bench. They hit 19-44 for 43% on 3 pointers. Also had 30 assists.

W & M goes to 5-4 on the season.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

They will probably beat us with some back door crap while we overplay the guy with the ball. They're a well coached team.

Let's get number 8!
Each win we get the better everything is!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will say a Rhody 76 wmu 66
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Fun fact, William & Mary is Coach Cox's alma mater.

Wonder if that had anything to do with scheduling them.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:Fun fact, William & Mary is Coach Cox's alma mater.

Wonder if that had anything to do with scheduling them.
Cox also got his Master's Degree from W&M
He was a 3 year starter at Point Guard and scored 670 points in his career.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Can we please just have a comfortable blow out? One where people walk out with smiles on their faces from a dominating performance instead of just grim, "well, at least they won" looks? They have to pull it all together someday, don't they?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

A blow out against a mediocre team wont make people feel better. Only a blow out (even just a win) against multiple good teams will. The hallmark of Hurley's time here has been blowing out bad to mediocre teams and just missing to most good ones.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I'm hoping to see a game where we have a balanced attack on offense. Something like JT, EC and JG all with double figures in points. JG with 6-8 assists. Solid contributions from KI, CL and the rest of the bench. Even against a middle of the pack team this would show me that we are headed in the right direction. We have to get this offense figured out and how we get our guards more in-sync with each other. If I see that I'll walk out smiling.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Can we please just have a comfortable blow out? One where people walk out with smiles on their faces from a dominating performance instead of just grim, "well, at least they won" looks? They have to pull it all together someday, don't they?

RPI has URI 90% Probability to Win. So there is a 1 in 10 chance we lose. Look at the improbably upsets on the road we have seen this year. W & M just hit 19-44 for 43% on 3 pointers last night in a fun and gun 112-85 win. We better play well or there is always the chance that W & M could get hot from 3 and beat us.

That said we are 15 point favorites so we should win handily but so was Northeastern 14 point underdogs at Michigan State and beat them handily.

I'll settle for a win of any kind going into A10 play. A blow out would be great but I do not expect it. I expect a tough game.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I also expect a tough game.....not so much from W&M getting hot from three etc, but rather we again are playing down to opponents, key player foul trouble, stagnant offense, not much scoring from bench, the three guard scoring mystery continues etc......more of the same until I see something different.....struggle to cover the spread.....just win.....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Can we please just have a comfortable blow out? One where people walk out with smiles on their faces from a dominating performance instead of just grim, "well, at least they won" looks? They have to pull it all together someday, don't they?

RPI has URI 90% Probability to Win. So there is a 1 in 10 chance we lose. Look at the improbably upsets on the road we have seen this year. W & M just hit 19-44 for 43% on 3 pointers last night in a fun and gun 112-85 win. We better play well or there is always the chance that W & M could get hot from 3 and beat us.

That said we are 15 point favorites so we should win handily but so was Northeastern 14 point underdogs at Michigan State and beat them handily.

I'll settle for a win of any kind going into A10 play. A blow out would be great but I do not expect it. I expect a tough game.
A tough game will lead to even more griping and less overall fan base enthusiasm...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:

A tough game will lead to even more griping and less overall fan base enthusiasm...
Absolutely true,
I just can't in my own mind see this as an automatic win or landslide dominating performance. Martin out, Thompson out, EC not consistently on track yet, team not passing the ball well. I am getting to where I want to see the new players more in a game like this such as Langevine, Robinson, Dowtin. Their growth could be critical to A10 success, expecially if the injury bug continues to haunt is in February and March.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Absolutely true,
I just can't in my own mind see this as an automatic win or landslide dominating performance. Martin out, Thompson out, EC not consistently on track yet, team not passing the ball well. I am getting to where I want to see the new players more in a game like this such as Langevine, Robinson, Dowtin. Their growth could be critical to A10 success, expecially if the injury bug continues to haunt is in February and March.
I'd say, if it is close...get ready for Baron 2.0 to hit double digit pages and for 8 days of anal-lysis of DH's pg presser...just guessing...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and if they outright lose? :o :o :o :o

Just sayin,
there are those who think that a loss is impossible, but it is possible to outright lose this game. Nothing is guaranteed. RPI has it a 90% probability of URI winning. But that means if we play 10 times W & M will win once. Can you imagine if Thursday night represents that "once"?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:208,

Just sayin,
there are those who think that a loss is impossible, but it is possible to outright lose this game. Nothing is guaranteed. RPI has it a 90% probability of URI winning. But that means if we play 10 times W & M will win once. Can you imagine if Thursday night represents that "once"?
If this is supposed to be 'ranked' or NCAAT team...this should be a blowout imo. I want to be jumping out of my seat from 10-0 runs and fast-break dunks. Personally, I don't see any way they lose, but could also see a no-fun grinder, too.

If they lose, just see above post and multiply - initially, followed by a major drop-off in interest.
Again, that's just my guess. What's yours?
1 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Unless we get off to a very quick start, expect Dan to be just as intense as he was on Sunday. There have been games where the announcers have said that "the Rams were really in no danger of losing the game". That drives me crazy. Dan knows that they can not have a loss in their next two games. Dan is waiting for all three guards to play well at the same time. At this point, I will take two.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

They need to double team William and
hope that Mary can't shoot.
5 on 2? Easy win.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:208,

Just sayin,
If this is supposed to be 'ranked' or NCAAT team...this should be a blowout imo. I want to be jumping out of my seat from 10-0 runs and fast-break dunks. Personally, I don't see any way they lose, but could also see a no-fun grinder, too.

If they lose, just see above post and multiply - initially, followed by a major drop-off in interest.
Again, that's just my guess. What's yours?
My guess is that we win by 18 but 3 point shooting teams can be very hot and very cold. Our guards must play tough defensively. We have defended the 3 point shot well most all season long with a few lapses here and there but especially true against the hot shooting Houston Cougars. If anyone does not defend well they need to come out quickly as there are guys on the bench willing and able.
Another guess is that we will see a lot of Akele, Robinson and Dowtin.

Interest level has already dropped.

If the game is within 5 points - board meltdown :evil: :evil:
If we lost the game outright - board nuclear meltdown :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

But again, no wins are guaranteed. Every week there have been shocking upsets in OOC play that nobody would have ever predicted.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just win the game.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree. Wins are not automatic. And it's not like we will be prohibitive favorites - spread likely in the mid teens.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Background from Pre-Season. Picked to finish 4th in CAA.
Ranked #105 in 144 Madness
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/13386
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The tribe has scored 225 points over the last two games, 113 and 112.
Runnin Rams Thursday Night?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

W & M is Holy Cross with size, their starting forwards are 6-9, 6-8, 6-7 and the first forward off the bench is 6-9. Also starting guards are 6-2, 6-6 with first reserve guard at 6-4. The are a 3-point shooting team and will put up between 20-30 attempts.

W & M has not done well against quality opponents and have lost all four road games they have played. Their big wins have come against low level D-1 teams and a NAIA team. The only thing URI has to avoid is coming out flat at the beginning of both halves and letting W&M get confident on shooting threes to build a early big lead to put the Rams in a hole. We have to replicate what Duke and Louisville did in restricting 3 point success to 6-7 buckets and keep them from outmuscling us in the paint and giving them lots of block opportunities.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If someone hasnt' already stated, I feel like it could be another game where we should win by 20 but struggle to pull away. At the same time EC is due and we need to get off our asses at SOMEPOINT.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

My guess is that Terrell guards William. But who guards Mary?
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think if we win comfortably by 15 or more and the game is never in doubt we will feel better about ourselves heading into conf play but I don't see it that way instead I think we win by about 10
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Thanks to the state of this board feel free to choose one of these responses for Thursday evening so you don't need to work too hard at being miserable:

Win by 20+ Oh yeah whatever Baron used to blow out bad teams too, not impressed, we suck, we're not an NCAA team.
Win by 15+ We couldn't beat these guys by 20!? WTF we need to close out games, not impressed, we suck, we're not an NCAA team.
Win by 10+ We didn't cover the spread. This is garbage, same BS. Not impressed, we suck, we're not an NCAA team.
Win by 5+ We are so awful. We were sold a bag of goods. Dan can't coach. Not impressed, we suck, we're not an NCAA team.
Win by 1+ Wow we suck so bad. Our program is in shambles. Pack it in. See you in 5 years because we're never making the NCAA's. We suck, we're not an NCAA team
Loss - RAZE THE RYAN CENTER ZOMG THIS IS THE END OF IT ALL. WE SHOULD DROP TO DII. WE SUCK, WE'RE NOT AN NCAA TEAM

Reality:

Win, good
Loss, bad, possible kill shot for at large.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:My guess is that Terrell guards William. But who guards Mary?
Mary is a 3 point threat...first half, in front of the bench won't be a problem...a little worried about the guys hearing if/when to switch when they are down at the other end.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This is a no win situation game. If they win by 10+ that's expected and is what they do against bad to mediocre teams. Win by less than 10 or even worse, less than 5, more ammo for Baron 2.0...Lose and a go fund me page may spring up to buy out Hurley....and the chance at an at large bid is most likely gone.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't think it's not a no-win game at all. Blow them out...get productive games from the starters...truly dominate....and (almost) everyone will be happy...that's what I'm hoping for....
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

They have blown out a bunch of teams...it's meant nothing. They need to beat good teams...then things will change.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI is favored by 10 1/2 points for Thursday night.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I don't think it's not a no-win game at all. Blow them out...get productive games from the starters...truly dominate....and (almost) everyone will be happy...that's what I'm hoping for....
Agreed. I mentioned this in another thread but a big lead will hopefully give Hurley the opportunity to give Layssard or Berry more playing time. CT (if he plays) and Akele will also benefit from getting more playing time in a blow out game.

A close game will definitely provide more ammo for the Baron 2.0 thread. A loss is unimaginable but ATP should probably take the board offline for a few days should that happen :lol:
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I may put a small wager on Billy Mary +10.5
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I don't think it's not a no-win game at all. Blow them out...get productive games from the starters...truly dominate....and (almost) everyone will be happy...that's what I'm hoping for....
Agreed. I mentioned this in another thread but a big lead will hopefully give Hurley the opportunity to give Layssard or Berry more playing time. CT (if he plays) and Akele will also benefit from getting more playing time in a blow out game.

A close game will definitely provide more ammo for the Baron 2.0 thread. A loss is unimaginable but ATP should probably take the board offline for a few days should that happen :lol:
Look no further than Syracuse being favored last night by 14 over St John's playing at home in the Carrier Dome and not only losing but losing by 93-60. A 47 point difference from the point spread. Anything can happen especially the way the 3 point shot becomes more and more the primary offensive weapon.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Some betting houses show URI -10 this morning.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

One thing I can guarantee will be great in this game is the National Anthem (being sung by my cousin, a URI Nursing Student). Get there early!!
Flag.jpg
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JFrech21 wrote:One thing I can guarantee will be great in this game is the National Anthem (being sung by my cousin, a URI Nursing Student). Get there early!!
Flag.jpg
Awesome News!!
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Blue Man wrote:Thanks to the state of this board feel free to choose one of these responses for Thursday evening so you don't need to work too hard at being miserable:

Win by 20+ Oh yeah whatever Baron used to blow out bad teams too, not impressed, we suck, we're not an NCAA team.
Win by 15+ We couldn't beat these guys by 20!? WTF we need to close out games, not impressed, we suck, we're not an NCAA team.
Win by 10+ We didn't cover the spread. This is garbage, same BS. Not impressed, we suck, we're not an NCAA team.
Win by 5+ We are so awful. We were sold a bag of goods. Dan can't coach. Not impressed, we suck, we're not an NCAA team.
Win by 1+ Wow we suck so bad. Our program is in shambles. Pack it in. See you in 5 years because we're never making the NCAA's. We suck, we're not an NCAA team
Loss - RAZE THE RYAN CENTER ZOMG THIS IS THE END OF IT ALL. WE SHOULD DROP TO DII. WE SUCK, WE'RE NOT AN NCAA TEAM

Reality:

Win, good
Blue Man agree with the "win good, lose bad mentality.

BUT that also applies to the losses. Road, top 50, whatever, they're 1-4.
0 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Two tickets for anyone that wants them. PM me.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Thanks to the state of this board feel free to choose one of these responses for Thursday evening so you don't need to work too hard at being miserable:

Reality:

Win, good
Blue Man agree with the "win good, lose bad mentality.

BUT that also applies to the losses. Road, top 50, whatever, they're 1-4.
Of course, but Blue Man is talking only about tonight's game with William and Mary.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

From the GoRhody preview...this is very alarming, and somewhat shocking.

"E.C. Matthews, Jarvis Garrett, and Jared Terrell have played together in 45 career games.
During that span, the trio of guards have scored in double figures in the same game on four occasions."
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote:From the GoRhody preview...this is very alarming, and somewhat shocking.

"E.C. Matthews, Jarvis Garrett, and Jared Terrell have played together in 45 career games.
During that span, the trio of guards have scored in double figures in the same game on four occasions."
Are you saying that they don't play well together, even with Hassan Martin being the leading scorer prior to his injury?
0 x
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What have I been saying...they have bad chemistry. They have not figured out how to play and win together. I assume that is on the coach...
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:
josephski wrote:

Look no further than Syracuse being favored last night by 14 over St John's playing at home in the Carrier Dome and not only losing but losing by 93-60. A 47 point difference from the point spread. Anything can happen especially the way the 3 point shot becomes more and more the primary offensive weapon.
Syracuse lost by that much because they gave up and looked like they didn't even care to be on the floor. St. Johns played a very good game but it was more Syracuse playing very poorly than St. Johns playing really well that led to that outcome. If we see anything from our guys that resembles the way Cuse played last night then it's a huge cause for concern.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RIFan wrote:What have I been saying...they have bad chemistry. They have not figured out how to play and win together. I assume that is on the coach...
I can agree with that, I feel like EC has been the weak link and that Jarvis thrives when he's looked upon to be the leading scorer.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

I don't think we have bad chemistry. These guys like each other and play for each other...the problem, IMO, is that they are not allowed to "play" on offense....the structure on defense is excellent and we are a very good defensive team as a result. On offense we seem more intent on running plays than on getting into the flow and leveraging our athleticism... We need to be looser and more up tempo...we do that and we will be fine.
And, of course, having Hassan back in the line up won't hurt either...
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "