Week #7 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Friars

Unread post by eli#10 »

We just got an early Christmas present as BC won the game 79-67. This is the same BC team that got beat by Fairfield a few days ago.

The Friar supporters especially the d-bags on their board got a huge dose of humility that they deserved. They found out what a true road game is like even though their fans probably made up about 1/2 of the crowd.

Merry Christmas to Big Ed................
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Friars

Unread post by bigappleram »

Why does this get its own thread, can't you just post in the Games of Interest thread. This is why their fans think some here have a hard on for them. And fwiw they have beaten us like 89 times in a row so we should just shut up.
4 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Re: Week #7 - Games of Interest

Unread post by jmck »

I just got an early Christmas present. Work will be tolerable for me tonight.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

At first I was upset when I heard PC lost because it hurts us but then I remembered their fans from our game and I just don't know what to think.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

If you haven't seen the Jalen Adams injury (UConn)...might want to do yourself a favor and keep it that way...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Friars

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote:Why does this get its own thread, can't you just post in the Games of Interest thread. This is why their fans think some here have a hard on for them. And fwiw they have beaten us like 89 times in a row so we should just shut up.
Done and done
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Houston and harvard down to the wire, at houston, and harvard wins
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

What do Santa Clara, BC, and Harvard have in common?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:What do Santa Clara, BC, and Harvard have in common?
Hmm...wins against teams with lower KenPom ratings than URI...that URI lost to?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Makes us look good, real good......not........
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bye bye PC bye bye
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: BC winner over PB

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Watched the second half. Those two young guards can ball. BC went on a 25-2 run in the second half. They have about four guys that are frosh or soph that can really play. Problem is the ACC is such a monster you can't afford to have crud coming off the bench. I've always liked Christian. I hope he succeeds up there but you look at their ACC schedule and it's like a locomotive coming down the tracks. 17 of their 18 games are actually ranked better than PC from Kenpom. Nuts.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's the thing, GBG....PC really isn't that good....neither is Valpo or Houston......those "good losses" might not turn out to be so good after all....

Just makes us look even worse.....the struggles against the poorer teams we've played lately are even more revealing......

Our "expected" RPI might not be good enough even if we go 13-5 in conference, which again I doubt that's happening.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rambone 78 wrote:That's the thing, GBG....PC really isn't that good....neither is Valpo or Houston......those "good losses" might not turn out to be so good after all....

Just makes us look even worse.....the struggles against the poorer teams we've played lately are even more revealing......

Our "expected" RPI might not be good enough even if we go 13-5 in conference, which again I doubt that's happening.
We need 15-3

13-5 is N I T
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

We need to get everyone healthy and we will be OK. Otherwise we will have big problems. As Bill Reynolds said "if Hurley had any luck......".
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

eli needs to stop throwing interceptions...whoops wrong thread........
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:eli needs to stop throwing interceptions...whoops wrong thread........
It's never the wrong place or time to say that :lol:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, if the "good" Eli shows up in the playoffs.....assuming they make it......they could go a long way.....or

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.....er thread
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Interesting that Harvard and BC accomplished something URI was not able to do!!!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Harvard is a decent team with a very good coach
That was my top play the other day +12.5 @Houston easy money
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Harvard is 5-4 including losses to holy cross, UMASS and George Washington.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

That was not a typical Harvard team. This is a down year for them but they go to Houston and win. URI looks bad.

PC losing to BC...URI looks bad.

Rams better get their act together for A-10 play.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Harvard also beat BC and the win I liked was they beat Northeastern at home then NE goes in and wins at Sparty
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

How did we win that scrimmage against them by 40?

Maybe they've improved.....we certainly have not......duh
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Tommy ammaker still at Harvard amazes me. He is a coach I would like to see here. Seems to always get the best out of his team and good pedigrer
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Tommy ammaker still at Harvard amazes me. He is a coach I would like to see here. Seems to always get the best out of his team and good pedigree
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There were some feelers put out to him years ago when Baron was still here......obviously nothing happened....but I would think he would be a candidate for our next coach......
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ram1980 wrote:Tommy ammaker still at Harvard amazes me. He is a coach I would like to see here. Seems to always get the best out of his team and good pedigree

There has been speculation that Amaker has stayed at Harvard since 2007 because of the career of his wife. Tommy Amaker’s wife Stephanie Pinder is:

Director, McLean College Mental Health Program; Instructor in Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
McLean Hospital; Harvard Medical School

He has already tasted coaching at a higher level (Seton Hall and Michigan) and may have soured on it after getting fired at UM. Unlike most of his peers, Amaker avoids the press and will not do a radio or television show. This would not be acceptable at a big time program today. Amaker reportedly is also paid very handsomely for the low pressure job as head coach at Harvard (700k)
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes totally agree on Amaker would have loved him here

Can't believe Randy Bennett at St Mary's has stayed there so long look at what he has done with that school
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Texas loses a buy game to Kent State. Shaka must be Jim Baron 3.0?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Texas really struggling this year

Say it ain't so Shaka
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote:Texas loses a buy game to Kent State. Shaka must be Jim Baron 3.0?
Wait. Are you saying other teams lose games too?

FIRE EVERY BASKETBALL COACH! END THE WHOLE SEASON!
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:
adam914 wrote:Texas loses a buy game to Kent State. Shaka must be Jim Baron 3.0?
Wait. Are you saying other teams lose games too?

FIRE EVERY BASKETBALL COACH! END THE WHOLE SEASON!
they also dont peak as a 1st round NIT coach...
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Oh, so that's now Dan Hurley's peak? Weird since we made it to the second round two years ago and this season is still in progress. Since you know the future, what are tonight's Powerball numbers? You can give me the winners or you can win yourself and buy him out seeing as you know the future.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Oh, so that's now Dan Hurley's peak? Weird since we made it to the second round two years ago and this season is still in progress. Since you know the future, what are tonight's Powerball numbers? You can give me the winners or you can win yourself and buy him out seeing as you know the future.
BAHAHAHAHAHAH holy shit this is wild. I swear people don't even want to make the tournament. People just want to be negative. There's like 10 people on this board that would legitimately not know what to do with themselves if we do make it.

Maybe stage a protest outside NCAA headquarters because they got it wrong and we're not good?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The Fellowship of the Miserable
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Oh, so that's now Dan Hurley's peak? Weird since we made it to the second round two years ago and this season is still in progress. Since you know the future, what are tonight's Powerball numbers? You can give me the winners or you can win yourself and buy him out seeing as you know the future.

you are what your record says you are

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coa ... ley-1.html

7 coaching D1
0 NCAA appearances
1 NIT appearance
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yes, and he made the second round of the NIT and you said his ceiling was first round.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: BAHAHAHAHAHAH holy shit this is wild. I swear people don't even want to make the tournament. People just want to be negative. There's like 10 people on this board that would legitimately not know what to do with themselves if we do make it.
I'm really starting to believe this, BlueMan. For whatever reason there are some here that just like to be negative, just want to be the naysayer, just want to pass final judgement after a little over 1/3 of the season. I can't explain it... maybe they have just been too negative for so long that they can't back track now even if we start to have success. Or maybe they just aren't as close to the program anymore and they are like the kid on the bench who doesn't cheer for his teammates because he isn't getting any playing time. The worst part is that they feed off each other.

I get the criticism, the critiquing, I have done it myself this season. We have not played to our potential yet this season and that is what is frustrating to me. But the constant doom and gloom is neither accurate nor justified nor something I would expect from a loyal fan.

Don't worry doom and gloomers, I will be the first one to voice my displeasure if we don't make the NCAA tournament this year. I won't accept any spin or any excuse from any coach, administrator, or fan. Not making the NCAA tournament with this team will be a failure.

However, this season is far from over and we have a legitimate shot at making the tourney. A better shot than ANY other team in the A10. Every team has its warts, every coach has its warts. I'll take our team and coach along with their warts to end the NCAA tourney drought.

And until there are no more seconds left ticking down on our season's clock I will not pass a final judgement on this team or coach.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

7 coaching D1
0 NCAA appearances
1 NIT appearance
Yes and when I was 15 I peaked at 14. Miraculously though I was able to make it past my pre-teen football MVP trophy and do something else with my life.

Did you know in September 2001 Tom Brady was a bum who was 1-3 for 6 yards in his career? 0-1. But he was what his record says he was. Jeez thank god the pats walked away from that guy.

In 2002 the Red Sox grabbed some trash bag guy named David Ortiz. He was a .266 hitter with 58 home runs in 6 years. Woof. Good thing they didn't bet on him.

Yeah I guess you're right, 6 and a half years in to his coaching career, mid season, after 2 rebuilding projects - Hurley definitely has peaked. Totally fair to judge his entire present and future body of work 1/3 of the way through the season.

I would've loved to have read this board in 1999 when URI was 17-12 going into the A10 tournament after a loss to Fordham.

The subsequent 3 games helped create one of the fondest memories of URI basketball and is looked back on very graciously. 7-6 going into the first game of conference play and I can only imagine what would've been said on this message board then.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

7 coaching D1
0 NCAA appearances
1 NIT appearance
Yes and when I was 15 I peaked at 14. Miraculously though I was able to make it past my pre-teen football MVP trophy and do something else with my life.

Did you know in September 2001 Tom Brady was a bum who was 1-3 for 6 yards in his career? 0-1. But he was what his record says he was. Jeez thank god the pats walked away from that guy.

In 2002 the Red Sox grabbed some trash bag guy named David Ortiz. He was a .266 hitter with 58 home runs in 6 years. Woof. Good thing they didn't bet on him.

Yeah I guess you're right, 6 and a half years in to his coaching career, mid season, after 2 rebuilding projects - Hurley definitely has peaked. Totally fair to judge his entire present and future body of work 1/3 of the way through the season.

I would've loved to have read this board in 1999 when URI was 17-12 going into the A10 tournament after a loss to Fordham.

The subsequent 3 games helped create one of the fondest memories of URI basketball and is looked back on very graciously. 7-6 going into the first game of conference play and I can only imagine what would've been said on this message board then.
Forget going into conference play or the 99 A10 tournament, how about going into the final possession? "John Chaney is a great coach and always figures out ways to stop us, which is easy to do because everyone knows Lamar is getting the ball. There's no way we're going to score on this final possession, then we'll lose in OT, then we're going to miss the NCAA's. WE'RE ONLY GOING TO THE NIT AND WE HAVE LAMAR ODOM!"
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Our opinions are based upon what we see.
If we can't comment on those, then there shouldn't be a message board.
Or maybe it should be for only those who'll post positive messages,
as if this were North Koreans commenting on Kim Jong Un?
All dissidents will be punished and purged.
Much of the negatives come from the feeling of this being Groundhog Day.
We've seen this movie before. The ending is always the same.
Can it change? Maybe, but what makes you believe it will?
Blind faith? Based on what?
A definition of insanity is a repetition of the same thing,
and expecting different results.
Every year, heightened expectations, fueled by media seeing
things from a distance.
Every year, disappointing results, accompanied by multiple excuses .
Those are the facts.
If you want to blindly ignore them, that's your prerogative.
Your little circle jerk is noted.
Don't dump all over those who chose not to, as if there are
some dark ulterior motives in play.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I get not being doom and gloom. There's still a legitimate opportunity for this team. My question for you Blue Man is where do you draw the line? Do you continue to blindly follow the coach no matter what? Is it after 8 years, 10, years, 11 years? How do you measure what is good performance vs poor performance? I'm not trying to bust your balls either, I am really interested in your perspective because I think you know a lot about ball and you are passionate about this team.
2 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Happy to say I was at that Temple game... Still gives me chills.

I rushed the court and jumped on big Ed Brown's back. I was a little bit smaller back then so he didn't mind :D
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Our opinions are based upon what we see.
If we can't comment on those, then there shouldn't be a message board.
Or maybe it should be for only those who'll post positive messages,
as if this were North Koreans commenting on Kim Jong Un?
All dissidents will be punished and purged.
Much of the negatives come from the feeling of this being Groundhog Day.
We've seen this movie before. The ending is always the same.
Can it change? Maybe, but what makes you believe it will?
Blind faith? Based on what?
A definition of insanity is a repetition of the same thing,
and expecting different results.
Every year, heightened expectations, fueled by media seeing
things from a distance.
Every year, disappointing results, accompanied by multiple excuses .
Those are the facts.
If you want to blindly ignore them, that's your prerogative.
Your little circle jerk is noted.
Don't dump all over those who chose not to, as if there are
some dark ulterior motives in play.
When was the last time we entered conference play on track for a top 30-40 RPI with Dan Hurley as coach, had the best non-conference win of anyone in the A10 and could make a reasonable claim as being the team to beat in the conference? I can't remember that being the case in any of the previous four years. Sounds like we haven't actually seen this movie at all, so perhaps waiting until the end to decide how you feel about it is the prudent course of action.
6 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

rhody_circle_jerk.jpg
4 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

BlueMan is definitely the dude all the way to the right with the weird grin
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

BleedBlue87 wrote:I get not being doom and gloom. There's still a legitimate opportunity for this team. My question for you Blue Man is where do you draw the line? Do you continue to blindly follow the coach no matter what? Is it after 8 years, 10, years, 11 years? How do you measure what is good performance vs poor performance? I'm not trying to bust your balls either, I am really interested in your perspective because I think you know a lot about ball and you are passionate about this team.
I think Jay said it best - if we don't make it this year, then it's time to sound the alarms. This should be the year, and it absolutely still can be, which is why it's just tough to read this board right now. The year isn't over and everyone is trying to Nostradamus our downfall.

When it comes to good vs poor performances...we've played poorly and well below what we're capable of in a lot of games this year - yet we're still winning and still in a position for an NCAA birth. I don't look at that as discouraging, I look at that as us extremely dangerous if we put it together. We just look too close to be on the wrong side of the coin every time.

I have no problem being critical of the team - players and coaches alike. That's the whole point of a message board. I have a problem when people go overboard and make everyone who associates with this board look dumb by association i.e. Baron 2.0.

People on here who support Hurley aren't "blindly following" him. They're watching a program that has been built in front of their eyes and seen tangible improvements year over year. Most of those people have also lived through the Baron era, which is why the comparison between the two goes ranges from stupid to downright infuriating. The people who want to be so negative to the point that I think they can survive simply on pessimistic thoughts are doing a disservice to what Baron's ineptitude did to this program.

I have legitimately seen knowledgeable posters defending Jim Baron's coaching record and OOC scheduling. DEFENDING! Literally 2 of the 3 reasons those same people were clamoring for him to be fired. Just revisionist history after bullshit excuse to stay negative because I legit don't think they know how to be happy if things go well.

TL;DR - If we don't make the tourney this season, smash the panic button and complain. Season isn't over yet, and we're still in a position to make it, so stop acting like it's a foregone conclusion we didn't. Make it or not, this program is still in better shape now than it was under Jim Baron at any point during his tenure. Anyone arguing that point is just being contrarian and negative just for the sake of being contrarian and negative.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Instead of getting hung up on the CFL comparison, how about
looking north at our biggest rival?
To me, this is the most galling contrast.
I think I'll say this and duck.
They have lost a lottery pick for one season,
a SG starter, a 7'er top 50 player both transfer,
2 players suspended with a top 100
leaving school.
This year, minus two NBA draft picks.
Never heard their coach talk about those who
he didn't have during the season, never a peep.
No public mourning, no player's headband in his pocket.
Just adjust and move on.
He cobbled together what he had to work with.
The result? Three NCAAs in a row, and
possibly a fourth if the trend continues.
His team surprises in a positive way, year after year.
Ours, for whatever reason, disappoints.
We have not lost a player anywhere near the NBA lottery pick,
Kris Dunn during the season. Not to mention all the off season
defections.
The mindset is, "next man up, and let's move on".
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

No need to duck... Cooley is the better coach right now... He has the better resume.. Period. How can you argue otherwise?
1 x