Game 11: Holy Cross Sunday Dec 18 @12:30pm Ryan Center

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 11: Holy Cross Sunday Dec 18 @12:30pm Ryan Center

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody Guy wrote:I feel like guys aren't allowed to improvise at all regardless of what they see in front of them. There were 2 instances that stuck out to me. Jarvis bringing the ball up on the wing, Jared alone in the corner and the ball doesn't go there because they had to run the play? Then again when Nikola was posting up he had his man sealed out of the paint and there was an easy entry pass over the top there for 2 that just never went in because the ball had to swing around the perimeter a little more. I would love to sit in on a film session breaking down one of these games.
.....well I am ready to take incoming fire here......this program needs a center(not a new thought from here)......give me all that don't need one in today's game, players that play multiple position stuff.....and I just added, they don't grow on trees, we can't recruit and get one etc....bring it.....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Who hacked NYG's account?
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Who hacked NYG's account?

Sadly I fear it's all my fault......

:(
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

NYG is becoming my hero!
Putin hacked his account and is letting me post as NYG.
Dasvidaniya, comrades!
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

:lol: :lol: Glad you finally came around (or was that me?)

I'd be willing to see them try anything a this point...center, no center...5 forwards at a time...all players that have the same number of syllables in their name....a dirt path around the court so Hurls could ride around it screaming like a mad man coaching the defense at both ends of the floor during the games....bring it on.

When they're playing like this...thinking nothing should be ruled out.

A solid effort against the Tribe would be nice...
Wondering if the crowd will be as big as it was for HC....
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I recant all the times I called NYG a troll last year. :D
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think the offense is stifled, but I think the problem with the team and its lack of success has more to do with supporting players and the minute distribution/coaching.

KI was a top 100 prospect with NBA aspirations that is in his 5th year and can't set a screen against an average CBB team and not get a foul.

Akele reeks of a player that played ok his first year and is trying to take this huge step forward but he is harming the team more than helping.

The team needs to stick to its strengths and the players need to stick to their strengths. Develop an identity. Don't just claim an identity in the media.

Martin being out obviously doesn't help.

I just dont think Hurley should be chasing the ceiling of his players and team by playing KI and Akele and these other tweener forwards. If they play great yes the team looks awesome. They dont play great though. So take them off the court and put someone that will just not get owned when they are on defense and can set a screen.

Gil? Where have you gone?!

[EDIT] Not that my post fixes anything. You get what you get with the roster you have. Hope they reel off some wins here.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, we can go to Dan's biggest dream:
FIVE guards!
We can join the 6'4" and under league.
Who needs bigs, besides wasting scholarships to let
them ride the bench, until they magically become
NBA ALL Defensive Team candidates?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Exactly...you can't expect those guys to develop into good defensive players 'on the court' 'during games'...must sit on the bench in sweats, never take them off, and listen. There, they have the advantage of hearing the coach bark out the defensive calls regardless of which end they are at...this speeds up the learning curve.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dan needs a walkie talkie.......let JG wear a mask again so they can hide an earpiece in it.....basketball Bluetooth so to speak.....
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:KI was a top 100 prospect with NBA aspirations that is in his 5th year and can't set a screen against an average CBB team and not get a foul.

Gil? Where have you gone?!
I think you're forgetting how this board felt about Gil while he was here. A lot of complaining about his fouling and the amount of time he'd spend on the bench in the first half because of it.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Gil was one of those players that used his hands too much on D.....with the new handcheck rules...they were going to call it.....and the current players are still doing it too much......
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Gil and Kuran are the same player.

Can give you 15 and 10 any game, but also can get two ridiculously stupid fouls in the first five minutes of the game.
2 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:Gil and Kuran are the same player.

Can give you 15 and 10 any game, but also can get two ridiculously stupid fouls in the first five minutes of the game.
I loved Gil...and they could both do either 15 & 10 or 2 in 5 - they're the same that way....but I think KI can show a lot more upside.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Im not forgetting frustrating Gil. I am remembering a team he was a senior on that could rebound and play defense.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote:It's funny that people got on Baron for not saying anything in his post game presser, but when Hurley is 100% honest, he gets ripped apart. I'm sure just about all coaches feel the same way as Hurley. With that said, it is a challenge faced by all coaches, and part of your practice is dedicated to the scouting report so that the players can execute without you walking through it for them on each possession. I am positive it is something Dan and company are working on, to me it just seems like he was pointing out an observation... And maybe throwing it out there in hopes it will encourage his guys to lock in on the scouting report during practice.
I don't know how many, if any, here listened to the Post Game with Dan Hurley being interviewed by Steve and Don after the Holy Cross game but as Bos8 says, Dan is very honest in his comments and he is also taking much of the blame and the responsibility upon himself for the team and individual performances.

Shortly after the Post Game with DH, Chris DiSano was then interviewed. Steve asked Chris what he thought and for what it is worth, Chris opened by saying he thought it was the best Post Game commentary that he has heard Dan make since being at URI.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Bos8 wrote:It's funny that people got on Baron for not saying anything in his post game presser, but when Hurley is 100% honest, he gets ripped apart. I'm sure just about all coaches feel the same way as Hurley. With that said, it is a challenge faced by all coaches, and part of your practice is dedicated to the scouting report so that the players can execute without you walking through it for them on each possession. I am positive it is something Dan and company are working on, to me it just seems like he was pointing out an observation... And maybe throwing it out there in hopes it will encourage his guys to lock in on the scouting report during practice.
I don't know how many, if any, here listened to the Post Game with Dan Hurley being interviewed by Steve and Don after the Holy Cross game but as Bos8 says, Dan is very honest in his comments and he is also taking much of the blame and the responsibility upon himself for the team and individual performances.

Shortly after the Post Game with DH, Chris DiSano was then interviewed. Steve asked Chris what he thought and for what it is worth, Chris opened by saying he thought it was the best Post Game commentary that he has heard Dan make since being at URI.
Awesome...look for that to come up as an advantage on Selection Sunday?
Brutal.....
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Section104 wrote:I still believe his gripes last year about attendance and this year about the rehab equipment (hot and cold tub) are worse than the quotes after last nights win.

In regards to last nights game:
Holy Cross has been respectable since getting run out of the gym the first 2 games. W @ Albany, L by 3 against Monmouth, W against Harvard, L by 8 against UMass. Unless we speed up the tempo and catch fire we're not going to blow out many teams in a slow, grind-it-out, type game. We controlled from start to finish and never really felt like the game was going to be lost. Was it great? Absolutely not, but at this point we need to win, move on, and get healthy for A10 play.

Positives:
We won without Thompson, Matthews, and Martin
Arguably Stan Robinson's best game in RI uniform
Terrell showed strong all-around game minus 3 turnovers
11 and 9 with 0 turnovers from Iverson
Langevine continues to progress
Robinson with 3 assists - all of which came in the low post to find someone for an easy layup - he reminded me of TJ Buchannon last night. If we're going to go anywhere this year he could be the difference maker

Negatives:
11 turnovers between Matthews, Garrett, Terrell and Dowtin
Jarvis had some careless turnovers and was pretty much invisible
Matthews was invisible (see top point of "positives")
3-17 from behind the arc

Sidenote: I could be wrong, but I feel like players are yanked "after they get hot" mainly due to fouls.
Agree with your positives and negatives and would add:
Strong game by Iverson with 11 and 9 but he did this playing only 20 minutes before fouling out with 5 fouls. Quite often the substituting is based on fouls. For sure if you get 2 fouls in the first half you are coming out. I disagreed with this standard rule last season when Martin came out as soon as he got 2 and sometimes finished the game with 2 or 3 fouls but that is what you will always see. As soon as EC got his 2nd 5 minutes into the game he was out the rest of the half. So every players knows the situation.

So imagine what Iverson would have done playing beyond 20 minutes?

Robinson with 5 rebounds against HC and also against Houston too to go with 3 assists, 2 blocks and zero TOs. Played 26 minutes with only 2 fouls. Against Houston he played 18 minutes but he fouled out so good to see him play tough D against HC AND keep the fouls down. Robinson not dribbling much but getting into the lane and making some nice inside passes for easy buckets.

Not a big positive, more a neutral comment or simply an observation. Dowtin played 15 minutes vs HC and 18 vs Houston. 3-6 on 3 pointers last 3 games. With Dowtin and Robinson on the floor at the same time there is a noticeable decrease in team dribbling and more team passing. Dowtin especially tends to catch and throw and not dribble - a continuation of his HS style. Robinson's defense is unquestionably solid, still need to see more of Dowtin as to whether his defense is up to A10 conference needs being only a Freshman. Will be interesting to see how the W & M game plays out Thursday Night with the 1st A10 game at SLU on the very near horizon.
1 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Some final thoughts...
If someone posted this already, please ignore. EC got two early fouls and sat until the second half. Early in the second half, there was a shot taken by HC. A Crusader got the rebound and put it back in. EC did nothing but stand there as the rebound was shot. I looked over at Hurley and he immediately got someone off the bench to replace him. For EC it was a zero on offense and close to that on defense.
2 x