Game 11: Holy Cross Sunday Dec 18 @12:30pm Ryan Center

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Game 11: Holy Cross Sunday Dec 18 @12:30pm Ryan Center

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

My point is Terrell is our best player and we need to put him at multiple spots throughout the game.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Problem seems to be the HC is a point guard. Despite the elite talent on this team I have to say he seems unwilling to just roll the ball out and let this team play.

I just read he made a remark during tonight's presser that the team defends worse in 2nd half at home because the action is away from the bench and the team can't receive direction.

Kinda troubling IMHO

Edit:

Added linky in addl post....
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Problem seems to be the HC is a point guard. Despite the elite talent on this team I have to say he seems unwilling to just roll the ball out and let this team play.

I just read he made a remark during tonight's presser that the team defends worse at home because the action is away from the bench and the team can't receive direction.

Kinda troubling IMHO
Seriously?? yikes.....
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Hurley: "The problem with that is our guys don't communicate well enough in the second half. First half, our defense is usually lockdown defense because the defense is in front of our bench. We're talking them through some actions and the bench is lively and talking to them. Our second half problems are because of lack of communication with each other and being engaged that way."

That's Danny's actual quote, having been a head coach I can tell you that this isn't anything new or specific just to our boys in Kingston. Many teams who are still developing, like this team is, need the coaching through situations and work on being more communicative. This isn't anything that we should be overly concerned with as a fan base.

Jarvis not making better decisions earlier in his attack G drives, like he did last year, is hurting the flow of our offense.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Saying our defense isn't good because it's away from the bench in the 2nd half is such a Baron quote I can't even stand it...

Seriously? Like really? Our defense breaks down in the second half because it's away from our bench?

That is such an absurd thing to say. Jesus.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ I second that. Yeah, per the previous post, I "guess" there might be more communication/direction....but to say it 'breaks down because they are at the other end..." Omigosh....not the only reason, but surely something that has to make you wonder about the coach and team's ceiling....
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Does that mean our defense would be near our bench during the second half on the road? So what's the excuse for sucking on the road? This team should not be figuring things out...this is a veteran team. They have no chemistry...period. It's like they have never played together.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

NorthernRamFan wrote:Hurley: "The problem with that is our guys don't communicate well enough in the second half. First half, our defense is usually lockdown defense because the defense is in front of our bench. We're talking them through some actions and the bench is lively and talking to them. Our second half problems are because of lack of communication with each other and being engaged that way."

That's Danny's actual quote, having been a head coach I can tell you that this isn't anything new or specific just to our boys in Kingston. Many teams who are still developing, like this team is, need the coaching through situations and work on being more communicative. This isn't anything that we should be overly concerned with as a fan base.

Jarvis not making better decisions earlier in his attack G drives, like he did last year, is hurting the flow of our offense.
Couldn't disagree more.

How's this sideline coaching gonna work at VCU or Dayton?

It won't because 15k enemy fans won't let it....

As for JG his confidence level in his decision making has to be near zero at this point....Repeating my comment from other threads I believe JG is the most technically complete player on our club.

I'd love to have had him on one if the teams I coached, I'd give him the ball and sit down.....guess I'm too old school in trusting talented players to play live game ball on their own between whistles and timeouts.
2 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Yeeeaaaahhh again my point was coaching and getting guys to understand rotations or different looks you're trying to show your opponent to create confusion is something that most coaches look to do in November/December. Thank you for assuming that this will happen come January, you've clearly never coached any team a day in your life. Of course it be happening against VCU or Dayton.... oh and Terrell is our most complete player, but like everyone else on this board you probably just expect to be told your correct...
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

...looks like someone might be feeling a little dissed.... :cry:
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RIFan wrote:Does that mean our defense would be near our bench during the second half on the road? So what's the excuse for sucking on the road? This team should not be figuring things out...this is a veteran team. They have no chemistry...period. It's like they have never played together.
In cbb, both teams always shoot at the hoop in front of their own bench in the second half. Not sure if that was sarcasm, if so forgive me...

In any case, it feels like this game should have been a blowout...

What would most top 25 teams do to HC at home? I'm not sure 11 points is good enough...
Last edited by rhodyrudder 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:

Not sure they were ever really "put away", were they?
Seemed more like the clock (thankfully, for all involved) finally, eventually just ran out?
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"Saying our defense isn't good because it's away from the bench in the 2nd half is such a Baron quote I can't even stand it...

Seriously? Like really? Our defense breaks down in the second half because it's away from our bench?

That is such an absurd thing to say. Jesus." - Rhody 15

Amen to that!
The urge to micro manage every play of every game, is way over the top.
Telling a guy when to shoot, or when to switch on defense, seems to say,
he doesn't really trust his players to execute what was learned in practice.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

NorthernRamFan wrote:Hurley: "The problem with that is our guys don't communicate well enough in the second half. First half, our defense is usually lockdown defense because the defense is in front of our bench. We're talking them through some actions and the bench is lively and talking to them. Our second half problems are because of lack of communication with each other and being engaged that way."

All our starters are juniors and seniors, how much longer are we going to be developing for?

This is the first time I've heard Hurley mention this theory. He's in his fifth year with what's supposed to be his best team and now is when he brings up second half defense at home being poor because we're not in front of the bench? Seems like a lame excuse to me.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:

All our starters are juniors and seniors, how much longer are we going to be developing for?

This is the first time I've heard Hurley mention this theory. He's in his fifth year with what's supposed to be his best team and now is when he brings up second half defense at home being poor because we're not in front of the bench? Seems like a lame excuse to me.
Seems like not just "a" lame excuse...but one that maybe reaches new levels of lameness...
Have NEVER heard a coach say such a thing...and it's not a new concern, rather just more 'detail' on existing concernS...then again, I've never coached a day... :roll:
3 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Next, "Ya gotta give em credit."
Excuses?
The basketballs at Lasalle.
The travel problems getting to Brown.
The crowds don't make enough noise.
The traveling made us tired.
The lights weren't bright enough.
The ref had bad breath.
And on and on.
1 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

"We have to use adidas basketballs" (see picture of Stan in Projo story)
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

How do other teams manage to defend in the second half at home if their defense is not in front of the bench? Do we need ear pieces like football? I have noticed a few times this year Jarvis is so preoccupied with getting the play from the bench, he has almost had the ball stollen...I think Dan is in panic mode, he is on record that this is the year and there are no excuses. he wants to be a man of his word and not judged as being full of BS...which looks more likely at this point.

I'm waiting for him to say the reason we start slow in games at home is the offense is not in front of the bench in the first half. But then why the slow starts on the road?
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......the continuous technical coach speech is starting to wear me out, I am not very much impressed by a highly techicnal X and O/s coach that is challenged to execute that into live game actions......I get that some of his defense does require communication on the floor, but the degree that is apparent(and necessary?)from the bench does not allow players any feel for the flow of the game......and probably on both ends.......frustrating......team still adrift, has little confidence, no leader on the floor.......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This team has no swagger and no chemistry. It doesn't have a winners killer instinct or mentality.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This entire thing is a mess.....a head case.....the players and the coach...that's all I'm going to say about this......

There's enough talent here to win this crappy conference.....but not the way this is happening.....

Carry on....
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Guys, cut Hurley some slack. I mean seriously. I hear Coach K., Bill Self, Izzo and others all the time talk about how because their team is at the other end of the court in the 2nd half that their defense suffers. I mean we hear that all the time from these other coaches, right? I think that's the first thing out of their mouths in the postgame presser with the media.

So if I get this straight...
AT HOME:
1st half defense good, offense bad
2nd half defense bad, offense good

ON ROAD
1st half defense bad, offense good
2nd half defense good, offense bad

I know they stunk in the 2nd half at PC but do numbers actually show this? Somebody with more time on their hands should look stuff up so Hurley has the raw data to backup his claims. I guess because UK-UNC was on a neutral court on Saturday, both offenses were good and both defenses were bad.

I'm so dizzy....ughhhh.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on DH you are better than that. No excuses please

EC scoreless ?? What a joke
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm still in shock Hurley actually said our defense is bad in the second half because we're away from the bench.

That is so outrageous.
1 x
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I still believe his gripes last year about attendance and this year about the rehab equipment (hot and cold tub) are worse than the quotes after last nights win.

In regards to last nights game:
Holy Cross has been respectable since getting run out of the gym the first 2 games. W @ Albany, L by 3 against Monmouth, W against Harvard, L by 8 against UMass. Unless we speed up the tempo and catch fire we're not going to blow out many teams in a slow, grind-it-out, type game. We controlled from start to finish and never really felt like the game was going to be lost. Was it great? Absolutely not, but at this point we need to win, move on, and get healthy for A10 play.

Positives:
We won without Thompson, Matthews, and Martin
Arguably Stan Robinson's best game in RI uniform
Terrell showed strong all-around game minus 3 turnovers
11 and 9 with 0 turnovers from Iverson
Langevine continues to progress
Robinson with 3 assists - all of which came in the low post to find someone for an easy layup - he reminded me of TJ Buchannon last night. If we're going to go anywhere this year he could be the difference maker

Negatives:
11 turnovers between Matthews, Garrett, Terrell and Dowtin
Jarvis had some careless turnovers and was pretty much invisible
Matthews was invisible (see top point of "positives")
3-17 from behind the arc

Sidenote: I could be wrong, but I feel like players are yanked "after they get hot" mainly due to fouls.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm surprised you singled out Jarvis for careless turnovers, two of Jared's were passes to nowhere. I'd say to no one, but one of them was directly to the ref.

One thing we need to get much better at is accepting and converting on passes into the paint. Again yesterday there were a few passes where the player should have been in good position to accept the dump off and get easy points or draw a foul at the basket and either muffed the pass or couldn't convert. Instead of getting points we were turning the ball over and that can't happen against better teams. Hopefully with Martin's return and Langevine's improvement that is something that will get better in A10 play.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Section104
Art Stephenson

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I'm surprised you singled out Jarvis for careless turnovers, two of Jared's were passes to nowhere. I'd say to no one, but one of them was directly to the ref.

One thing we need to get much better at is accepting and converting on passes into the paint. Again yesterday there were a few passes where the player should have been in good position to accept the dump off and get easy points or draw a foul at the basket and either muffed the pass or couldn't convert. Instead of getting points we were turning the ball over and that can't happen against better teams. Hopefully with Martin's return and Langevine's improvement that is something that will get better in A10 play.
Probably unfair of me to single out Jarvis, but I did so because 1. He's the PG and I expect a PG to run our offense and make sound decisions and 2. Terrell brought us much needed offense - some of his passes were careless, but overall he was one of our only positives on the offensive end.

You're right- we need to limit bad turnovers like that. Like I said before, I really liked what I saw from Stan finding open teammates in the low post.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Deflated is the one word that comes to mind during yesterdays game. Awful crowd too but I don't blame them. Conference play can't get here faster.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Section104 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I'm surprised you singled out Jarvis for careless turnovers, two of Jared's were passes to nowhere. I'd say to no one, but one of them was directly to the ref.

Probably unfair of me to single out Jarvis, but I did so because 1. He's the PG and I expect a PG to run our offense and make sound decisions and 2. Terrell brought us much needed offense - some of his passes were careless, but overall he was one of our only positives on the offensive end.

You're right- we need to limit bad turnovers like that. Like I said before, I really liked what I saw from Stan finding open teammates in the low post.
Honestly Jared's pass to the ref was kind of funny. Wouldn't have been so funny in a more difficult game, but yesterday was never really in doubt.

One other thing I wanted to mention in relation to passing. I'm not sure if it's movement, the pass, or both but it felt like most of their passes were high yesterday. Instead of being able to get the ball and make a play they had to reach or jump to get the ball and by that point the defense had time to react and defend. I'm not sure if that was more a function of them doing a good job of clogging the lanes and that was the only place to put the pass or if it was poor execution on our part.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I went to the HC game and left with a couple of minutes to play and listened to DH on the post-game show. DH and I watched two different games.

EC is a defensive liability and showed no offense.

Berry is not a good man-on-man defender but he is a force down low particularly of offense, I didn't understand DH pulling Andre so quickly and not playing him again.

Loopy passes gives the zone too much time to recover.

We were returning to a scrappy but crappy style of play but now we aren't even scrappy.

The poster who predicted that this would be a "feel-good" game was wrong.

Somewhere in my basketball past I was taught not to leave my feet until I knew what I was going to do with the ball.

Our guards had more TOs than assists.

How did we go from a top 25 team to a rebuilding project?

The price for minI-plans continues to drop. Two January games plus a $10 Mew's gift card for $25.

DH is clueless.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 +1
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Berry, comment is right on point, unfortunately, DH apparently has a gotta defend first in his system to get sustained playing time.....I guess we will continue to see this approach.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

This might help.

Post Game show:
http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27560186/
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:I'm still in shock Hurley actually said our defense is bad in the second half because we're away from the bench.

That is so outrageous.
Had a chance to give that some thought overnight and this morning and it seems there's a solution.... If you're familiar with the technology in NFL stadiums now, where they have cameras wired to follow the action wherever it goes/right on top of it (spider cam?)... maybe, they can rig one of those up with a chair and a joystick, strap Hurls into it and give him a megaphone and he can follow the action up and down the court...hovering right over it, screaming out instructions? Or perhaps some sort of jet pack? And, periodically, Yorke could say, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curt-, er...hovering over the court."
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

It's funny that people got on Baron for not saying anything in his post game presser, but when Hurley is 100% honest, he gets ripped apart. I'm sure just about all coaches feel the same way as Hurley. With that said, it is a challenge faced by all coaches, and part of your practice is dedicated to the scouting report so that the players can execute without you walking through it for them on each possession. I am positive it is something Dan and company are working on, to me it just seems like he was pointing out an observation... And maybe throwing it out there in hopes it will encourage his guys to lock in on the scouting report during practice.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The problems continue to pile up..........the person who said the conference season can't get here quick enough, those teams know us and our coach.....uh oh......
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

rambone 78 wrote:The problems continue to pile up..........the person who said the conference season can't get here quick enough, those teams know us and our coach.....uh oh......
What are your thoughts on the game yesterday? What did you see that you liked or disliked?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I worked, just going by what has been said here.......how many positive things happened?

Haven't heard anything yet......

Don't you worry 104 [and others]...my level of interest is declining rapidly........
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

rambone 78 wrote:I worked, just going by what has been said here.......how many positive things happened?

Don't you worry 104 [and others]...my level of interest is declining rapidly........
If you scroll up you can read the positives I highlighted plus a few others in different threads about our offensive (surprising) and defensive efficiency.

I just don't understand how you can be so negative if you failed to watch the game. How many games have you watched this year? Were there issues yesterday? Absolutely. But to say the problems continue to pile up when we won the game while (hopefully) getting 1 game closer to getting our most important player + a role player back seems a bit much from someone reading a box score and comments from other posters.

I'm not sure what type of replay options exist, but now that's its on MyRITV or whatever I'd guess you can record it and watch later. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on specific aspects of the game instead of the doom and gloom piggybacking on other doom and gloom.

To be clear: I know there are issues. I know things haven't gone as planned, but I find it silly to post the same nonsense every game when you don't actually view the game.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Section104 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:I worked, just going by what has been said here.......how many positive things happened?

If you scroll up you can read the positives I highlighted plus a few others in different threads about our offensive (surprising) and defensive efficiency.

I just don't understand how you can be so negative if you failed to watch the game. How many games have you watched this year? Were there issues yesterday? Absolutely. But to say the problems continue to pile up when we won the game while (hopefully) getting 1 game closer to getting our most important player + a role player back seems a bit much from someone reading a box score and comments from other posters.

I'm not sure what type of replay options exist, but now that's its on MyRITV or whatever I'd guess you can record it and watch later. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on specific aspects of the game instead of the doom and gloom piggybacking on other doom and gloom.

To be clear: I know there are issues. I know things haven't gone as planned, but I find it silly to post the same nonsense every game when you don't actually view the game.
In fairness, I don't think one had to actually watch this game to realize:
a) it was (another) suckfest
b) not much improvement being made
c) coaches actions/reactions and statements are odd at best
d) doom and gloom is totally appropriate until it isn't

Having said that...I will go to the next game just as hopeful as ever for a positive turn of the corner.
But can't say that much has happened to lead one to reasonably expect that.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I do watch games 104, but not every one, and some I can only watch part of them......It doesn't take much to see problems....you know what would be nice?

Play 40, or close to it, GOOD minutes in a game.......we've played a few good halves....whole games? Not one yet......

When I retire in a couple of years, Lord willing, I hope to finally be able to go to more games....maybe by then we'll actually be as good as the hype.

Somehow.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: In fairness, I don't think one had to actually watch this game to realize:
a) it was (another) suckfest
b) not much improvement being made
c) coaches actions/reactions and statements are odd at best
d) doom and gloom is totally appropriate until it isn't

Having said that...I will go to the next game just as hopeful as ever for a positive turn of the corner.
But can't say that much has happened to lead one to reasonably expect that.
Fair enough. I guess we just disagree. My main issue is saying there's no positive whatsoever when some don't watch the games. Saying issues are piling up when we won the game and no one was seriously injured seems a bit much.

We won by 11, never win pretty (known for our defense), got some good minutes from a few key reserves (Iverson and Stan), and won without the DPOY in the A10, a defensive leader, and someone that can, at times, score at will on smaller front lines, plus Christion Thompson. Games aren't easy without one of your stars. Michigan State lost to Northeastern last night without Miles Bridges. Nebraska lost to Gardner Webb with a healthy roster. Stuff happens. Sometimes we have to be okay with an ugly win without our full roster.

Onto the next one. Hopefully we're healthy by Dayton and can pick off the two games prior to them with a depleted roster.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

104, again I watch some games, but it's getting harder to watch when you know what's going to happen......believe me I want to see us turn the corner as much as anyone.....just give me some evidence of it happening and things will change from my perspective......
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

rambone 78 wrote:104, again I watch some games, but it's getting harder to watch when you know what's going to happen......believe me I want to see us turn the corner as much as anyone.....just give me some evidence of it happening and things will change from my perspective......
If we won that game by 50 would you have said we're turning the corner or would you have said "I'll believe it when we close against good teams" or something of that extent. My point being: was there a single result that would have resulted in a positive Rambone post or are we going to continue reading the same posts time after time until we (hopefully, please god let this happen) knock off Dayton?
6 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Oh, so you don't actually have anything to add, yet are still posting a mile a minute.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Section104 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:104, again I watch some games, but it's getting harder to watch when you know what's going to happen......believe me I want to see us turn the corner as much as anyone.....just give me some evidence of it happening and things will change from my perspective......
If we won that game by 50 would you have said we're turning the corner or would you have said "I'll believe it when we close against good teams" or something of that extent. My point being: was there a single result that would have resulted in a positive Rambone post or are we going to continue reading the same posts time after time until we (hopefully, please god let this happen) knock off Dayton?
Me, I would have been leading the 'turning corner brigade.' And, it wouldn't have taken 50...maybe a consistent 20 point lead with reserves getting extra PT. Instead...we're talking about an 11 point win over the team kenpom has ranked 187 (not that kp is the be-all end-all...just showing HC is a lower half team). And in that game, that team missed a 3 that would have cut the lead to 3, pretty well into the 2nd half. And, it's not even like they built up a lead and coasted, like we should have been able to expect...they had to rally to get out that far. I can't help saying, that's not 'good' or 'ok'...at least to me it isn't...and with play like that, I think it's reasonable to expect repeated "WTF?!?!?" posts....
2 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I feel like guys aren't allowed to improvise at all regardless of what they see in front of them. There were 2 instances that stuck out to me. Jarvis bringing the ball up on the wing, Jared alone in the corner and the ball doesn't go there because they had to run the play? Then again when Nikola was posting up he had his man sealed out of the paint and there was an easy entry pass over the top there for 2 that just never went in because the ball had to swing around the perimeter a little more. I would love to sit in on a film session breaking down one of these games.
2 x