Substitution patterns

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Substitution patterns

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Does any body else notice that the substitution pattern is pre-planned, no matter WHAT is going on in the game? One of the guards, almost always EC, sits after 4 or 5 minutes. The next one is a couple of minutes later, the next two minutes after that. Today, EC was on fire early. He scored 8 points in the first 4 and a half minutes. We had a 9 point lead, I believe. He came out with 15 something left in the half. If he's on fire, why the hell is he coming out of the game? Maybe he can go two or three more minutes and get the lead to 15 or so if he remains hot? Why sit somebody down and cool him down? By the time EC came back in, Houston was back in the game. And it's not just EC and his knee situation. It's done with everybody, and it seems as though it's done at the same time of every game, no matter what. It seems that the ONLY thing that changes the substitution patterns if somebody has two first half fouls or three second half fouls. That's it. It's never strategic. As I say, pre-planned. Terrell hit his first three of the game in the 2nd half, finally had a look of confidence on his face. I'm thinking that that three pointer will get him going. He's on the bench immediately after. Why? Because it was his time to come out? In basketball, you always ride the hot hand until it cools off. The bench is a perfect place for it to cool off. I just don't get it. Could someone explain?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Substitution patterns

Unread post by section(105) »

......can't.....but look back over the JB years......we probably had the same beef.....during the game I wondered why JT hit a trey and then out....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:......can't.....but look back over the JB years......we probably had the same beef.....during the game I wondered why JT hit a trey and then out....
Very true. I remember Baron taking Jimmy out of a close game after hitting 4 or 5 shots in a row. I remember saying to my friend, " Jimmy must be scoring too much. Let somebody else score". It makes no sense. You ride that hot hand and try to blow the other team of the court. You don't take that hot hand off the court to cool it off and let the other team back in the game. You go for the kill....at any point in the game.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

CFL always took a guy out after he got hot.
Used to drive everyone crazy.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's called a lack of awareness of game situations.......Baron had it...and now we've got another clueless one.....just our luck.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can't see anybody come calling for DH now unless we somehow get hot and dance
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yep...the Baron Syndrome......
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote:Can't see anybody come calling for DH now unless we somehow get hot and dance
People have come calling for him almost every single year, regardless of the season results.

I expect a team or two to be linked to Hurley at the end of the season.
1 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We'll see.....I personally like Dan, but maybe it's time to move on if this season doesn't pan out......

I doubt he's going anywhere soon though.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote:We'll see.....I personally like Dan, but maybe it's time to move on if this season doesn't pan out......

If this season doesn't pan out, you really think it's maybe time to "move on" aka fire him????

Come on now. This board gets more ridiculous by the day.
2 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

..... and....it's only Monday.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URI won't fire Dan any time soon...but they also won't tolerate not making the big show....at what point is the question......

He has to produce...bottom line
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI will never fire Dan Hurley. He will be long gone before that would ever take place. Maybe gone this April.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhody15 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:We'll see.....I personally like Dan, but maybe it's time to move on if this season doesn't pan out......

If this season doesn't pan out, you really think it's maybe time to "move on" aka fire him????

Come on now. This board gets more ridiculous by the day.
If this season doesn't pan out then what does the future hold? Look at the likely roster over the next several years. Unless Hurley can bring in some studs that can contribute right away the future won't look very bright if things don't go well this season.

Last year was supposed to be the year and then we got hit by injuries so Hurley got a pass. Now this season was supposed to be the year and there's a possibility we might not make the big dance. How many years do you wait? This is how history repeats itself...
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

And any potential studs won't be coming in until 18. Year 7. As freshmen.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote:And any potential studs won't be coming in until 18. Year 7. As freshmen.
Daron Russell will be seeing a very good amount of Playing Time in 2017, very much a potential stud,
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

like Dowtin, Layssard and Tertsea?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Fatts is a PG. He's a backup next year, and we return 6 guards from this year's team. I could see him starting as a sophomore.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote:like Dowtin, Layssard and Tertsea?
Nope. You have 3 seniors and two juniors clogging up the starting spots. No freshman was going to start this year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Fatts is a PG. He's a backup next year, and we return 6 guards from this year's team. I could see him starting as a sophomore.
He is an excellent shooter. We need shooting accuracy on the floor. He may not start but he is too good to not be on the floor especially next year.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

After all the pumping up of these recruits this year and last, hou can you say Russell will be a potential stud next year? There are multiple guards in front of him, with Garrett Terrell and Stan playing the majority of the minutes with Dowtin and Thompson playing as backups, and potentially EC.

We ALL need to stop touting these recruits as the second coming before they step on campus.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......another Bingo and dinner......Akeem Richmond, Matthew Butler, and any others......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Fatts is a PG. He's a backup next year, and we return 6 guards from this year's team. I could see him starting as a sophomore.
Flash reaction: "returning 6 guards next year" => "why is there no face-palm emoji on this board?"
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

JG was supposed to be an excellent shooter....not so much at least when it comes to consistency......hype hype hype that's all we get...results for once?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote:JG was supposed to be an excellent shooter....not so much at least when it comes to consistency......hype hype hype that's all we get...results for once?
Uh do you remember his 3 point % last year?
2 x
Go Rhody
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Yea Matt Butler was supposed to be a great shooter as well. In every recruiting thread of every recruit under Hurley people have said they're going to be a great player. I can't blame anyone because no one wants to talk poorly about an incoming recruit but at the same time it definitely causes unreasonable expectations for some of our guys.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Talent evaluation could be an issue here.......or player development...some have improved here though...see Hassan and Terrell.....
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I just want to see a 3 guard backcourt of Stan, Terrell and EC with Stan as primary facilitator. Stan gets a little out of control sometimes and stuggles from deep but I feel like he makes things happen.

You can roll out a 3 guard backcourt of ESPN Top 100 recruits and yet URI is 6-4. So frustrating.

I want to see Stan get more time especially at the expense of a guy like Dowtin.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

josephski wrote:Yea Matt Butler was supposed to be a great shooter as well. In every recruiting thread of every recruit under Hurley people have said they're going to be a great player. I can't blame anyone because no one wants to talk poorly about an incoming recruit but at the same time it definitely causes unreasonable expectations for some of our guys.
He's a great shooter for UT MARTIN....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Sure, let's bench last years best player for
a guy who can;t hit the ocean with a beachball.
Let's play 4 on 5 on offense.
No thanks.
Robinson instead of Dowtin, sure. All night long.
At least Robinson contributes on defense.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

You can't put a loss on one guy. But Dowtin makes them play 4 on 5. Then throw in the struggles of Iverson. These guys aren't even playing the game even. They are negatives. If the team is playing these close games, then they have to get their best players dominating the ball and the game. Then whoever else plays needs to just not reduce the efforts of the best guys.

Its a time honored style. The dream of a whole team scoring selflessly and playing like animals is everyones idea of perfection. Thats why its so rare.

Teams, coaches, programs identify roles and play to them. Makes it easy to execute your job. Just typing this is making me sick. Or is that the series of turnovers by the pats?

Play the best guys. Play them with complimentary players. FIND ROLES.

There is a lot of good mixed in with this crap OOC performance. I think Cyril looks great. Everyone seemingly have had moments or at least some. 2 players stick out as not matching the level of everyone else.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Haven't been too impressed with Dowtin and his outside shot looks funny like a set shot
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:After all the pumping up of these recruits this year and last, hou can you say Russell will be a potential stud next year? There are multiple guards in front of him, with Garrett Terrell and Stan playing the majority of the minutes with Dowtin and Thompson playing as backups, and potentially EC.

We ALL need to stop touting these recruits as the second coming before they step on campus.

First of all, let's go to the context of the comment:

Postby theblueram » 14 hours ago
And any potential studs won't be coming in until 18. Year 7. As freshmen.

Comment was made about no potential studs coming until 2018, or Year 7 for DH.

I never would have posted about Russell coming to URI in this thread at all except this that this statement meant to present a Doom and Gloom scenario to next year's recruiting class was made. URI has Russell and one more open scholarship. Could go to a 5th year or a Freshman recruit -all is not lost on the Class of 2017 as this comment suggested.

Do I think Russell can be a potential stud at URI? Yes......but I emphasize the key word "potential". I also emphasize that is what I think.......all others should take that with a grain of salt and take it for what it is worth - just an opinion. I also say this based on personally having seen him play multiple times. But, this is important, you should use your own due diligence just like if you were going to buy a stock. You weigh the information and make up your own mind.
Why else do I like him? Picked as one of the Top 5 Players in Philadelphia by Philadelphia Newspapers. Look at the other 4 and see where they are going. Look at the 1st and 2nd Team Players in the EYBL AAU Championships last year and see Russell's name and where all the other players are going. I normally like tall guards, including tall point guards. Lonzo Ball at 6'6" is an amazing PG and only a Freshman who may be one and done so for me Russell is not so tall and likely what keeps him from going High Major P5.
Go watch Russell go head to head with Quade Green (who may be one fo the Top PG's in the nation) tomorrow night, or at least see how their numbers compare tomorrow night. Then you can later watch Quade Green in the prestigious City of Palms BBall Tournament in Ft Myers with games streamed or recorded for viewing. Last year you could have watched Cyril Langevine with The Patrick School at Ft Myers City of Palms on TV as I did. The Patrick School was Top 10 for a time last year, playing against top competition.

Do you have to wait and see what really happened next year on the court and preseason pratices to see who starts? of course you do, it's that way for all teams. He likely will not start, but I don't like penciling in starting line ups, I prefer everyone starts out equal.

And a few words about "Hype".
You had hype come from many places about this season:
Preseason Basketball Publications almost all had URI in the Top 25, and some of the most reputable publications at that
Twitter basketball talking heads, the majority of whom spend the majority of their time at AAU events all summer long and at preseason team practice sessions
Message Boards
TV, Radio
Others

But you as an individual should weight the hype and decide how much, if any, you choose to believe. If you buy a stock on a recommendation you can blame that broker, or Barrons, or WSJ writer or friend or whoever you want buy ultimately you make the decision to buy and how much to buy. IF it goes up great, you are a genius, if it flops then you own the decision, you make it, regardless of how much hype went into the stock that you yourself chose to buy. You own it. I have seen postings about how wrong I was to have bought into the hype, never, ever again, Good in one way to admit to having been personally wrong, but at the end of the day we all own what we choose to believe or not believe and how much.

On the other hand, I can go to Baron 2.0 and choose to believe all of the things being said there or not. My choice. Works both ways.
1 x