Game 10: @ Houston Dec 10 1:30p ESPNU

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 10: @ Houston Dec 10 1:30p ESPNU

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I don't see what our full court man to man does right now. It certainly doesn't create turnovers. Only occasionally, in desperation, do we trap either in the backcourt or near the halfcourt line on the defensive side of the court. Supposedly it tires out the guards of the other teams. Gray played all 40 minutes today. He didn't look tired. Maybe the only guards that are tiring with this defense are ours.
This i agree with. It's one thing to pressure the ball the length of the court, it's another to just have one of your players spy the ball the length of the court. We're probably better off just having everyone get back and set up for half court defense if we're only going to use the current small amount of pressure in full court defense.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote:Not the refs fault, not Hurley's fault, not Kuran's fault, not ECs fault.

We're just not that good. Plain and simple.
......bingo.....game set match......winner winner, Wrights Farm Chicken Dinner.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, why didn't we play zone against Valpo, a bad shooting team? Look, I just want to mix it in once in a while. Instead of substituting so often, if we throw in a zone a two or three trips a half and give the guards a little breather and the other team a different look. If we play a little zone today, maybe Garrett and Robinson don't both foul out. I'm not blaming Dowtin at all for anything, but he just can't be in a close game at the end of the game yet.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I don't see what our full court man to man does right now. It certainly doesn't create turnovers. Only occasionally, in desperation, do we trap either in the backcourt or near the halfcourt line on the defensive side of the court. Supposedly it tires out the guards of the other teams. Gray played all 40 minutes today. He didn't look tired. Maybe the only guards that are tiring with this defense are ours.
Couldn't agree more...the full court man to man seems to do nothing but waste energy and leave people out of position. Running up the court side by side with the guy dribbling the ball seems pointless. If you're going to do that...trap. Every time any team inbounds against this "full court man to man"...they get it in and everyone heads up the court because they're going to get the same pressure on the guy bringing the ball up the court that my golden retriever puts on me when we walk up to the post office. I mean, I know she's there, but she's just keeping me company.

Most players aren't going to give it up to a single guy running up the court doing nothing but giving him the hairy eyeball. Either do some trapping or pick 'em up in the half court. The full court stuff seems like a serious waste of energy...they don't have a Marcus Smart that can just grab it away from someone...when was the last time a 'single guy' in the back court took the ball away or prevented them from getting it over the timeline...has it happened yet?
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

So Adam houston is like 1-6 from 3pt land and drives and scores at will but a zone is idiotic. They drove and scored at will all game. Zone please make them make a three pointer.

The story of the game is simple houston guards we're fresh at the end of the game cause they were rested in the zone. Ya think stan would of been available to play tough man to man in the last two minutes if he saved a few fouls in zone or Jarvis. Dan let the game be our guards against their guards. Sampson loved it fresh against tired. General Custer please.

GO RHODY!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

brady1 wrote:So Adam houston is like 1-6 from 3pt land and drives and scores at will but a zone is idiotic. They drove and scored at will all game. Zone please make them make a three pointer.

The story of the game is simple houston guards we're fresh at the end of the game cause they were rested in the zone. Ya think stan would of been available to play tough man to man in the last two minutes if he saved a few fouls in zone or Jarvis. Dan let the game be our guards against their guards. Sampson loved it fresh against tired. General Custer please.

GO RHODY!
Another time honored Keaneyblue.com tradition after a loss, clowns arguing against themselves. On the last page you said we should be dictating how the game is played yet in this post you're saying we should have changed the defense we play based on how a team shot the ball in one half of play. Well which is it? Should we dictate the style of play or should we change what we do because our opponent shot poorly in the first half? You can't have it both ways.

By the way, maybe the team that shoots great from three shot so poorly because of the defense we were playing? And maybe if we started giving them open looks at three by playing zone they would have shot the ball better from three? Perhaps the game would have been over with five minutes left if we're giving up an extra point everytime down the court and then the foul situation wouldn't have mattered?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Couldn't agree more...the full court man to man seems to do nothing but waste energy and leave people out of position. Running up the court side by side with the guy dribbling the ball seems pointless. If you're going to do that...trap. Every time any team inbounds against this "full court man to man"...they get it in and everyone heads up the court because they're going to get the same pressure on the guy bringing the ball up the court that my golden retriever puts on me when we walk up to the post office. I mean, I know she's there, but she's just keeping me company.

Most players aren't going to give it up to a single guy running up the court doing nothing but giving him the hairy eyeball. Either do some trapping or pick 'em up in the half court. The full court stuff seems like a serious waste of energy...they don't have a Marcus Smart that can just grab it away from someone...when was the last time a 'single guy' in the back court took the ball away or prevented them from getting it over the timeline...has it happened yet?

The last sentence is interesting.....cause the UMess team has a freshman that leads the nation in both total steals/strips.....and per game.....according to the FS1 talking heads during the game today....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

LOL rr02 my boy, yea clown shooting poorly but scoring at will taking it to the basket. Zone please. Nice to see the head nitwit has left his post calling for RHODY to drop football. You must have finally got a job son.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

The last sentence is interesting.....cause the UMess team has a freshman that leads the nation in both total steals/strips.....and per game.....according to the FS1 talking heads during the game today....
Unfortunately...Rhody does NOT have a guy like that...if they did, the full court pressure would be a great thing, but...they don't...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

brady1 wrote:So Adam houston is like 1-6 from 3pt land and drives and scores at will but a zone is idiotic. They drove and scored at will all game. Zone please make them make a three pointer.

GO RHODY!
I'm sorry, I guess we just disagree then. I do not think that when we are playing a defense that is stopping a good 3 point shooting team that we should change that up into a defense that is susceptible to being exploited by good 3 point shooting teams.
Last edited by adam914 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Yes well put we'll agree to disagree. We all want to DANCE. Sampsons guys played zone and they were fresher and in the game at the end that's the story. It's easier to drive the hoop at will than make threes. I come from a place that we had way more talent than that team today even without Hass. We lost again, something we are doing is wrong.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......is it time to stop keep beating the drum that 'we are more talented' ......than the teams we seem to consistently(recent history) can't beat?.....just asking....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

That's the key question. I like Hurley think he has recruited solid NCAA DANCE talent here. If you believe there is NCAA talent here X's and o's match ups, game plans, substitutions, adjustments, philosophy's need to be looked at. I want Dan to succeed but we lost three games we could have or should have won. If you don't agree with me and you think we don't have DANCE talent in year 5 what the f is wrong with you, you should be screaming for a freaken change.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We are what our record says we are......I watched some of this game at work today....and afterwards I wondered why I put myself through this agony over and over again.....these games always play out the same....we are a stone cold lock to lose them.....the same issues over and over again...

I'm sorry, this coach isn't getting it....how many times does this have to happen to convince some people? The same thing is going to happen in our conference games against even the decent teams...look at UMass today....does anybody think after watching some of THAT game, that we will beat them in Amherst? LaSalle, GW, Davidson....and of course Dayton....on the road we will lose them.....HM or no HM.....oh I forget St. Joes's

DH is so outmatched when it comes to game strategy it isn't funny.....he's a deer in the headlights late in games.....he doesn't have the temperament to think clearly or so it seems.....and his players are a reflection of his ineptitude......and yes, we really aren't that talented either....some guys are not as advertised...it shows in crunch time.....BUT we are more talented than what we are getting.....

We don't have a "go to" guy, and we don't have a "go to" coach...a very bad combination.....this team has a 50-50 chance to go to the NIT....like it or not.

At the end of this season, Thorr and Dooley need to take a really hard look at what the future holds with DH as coach.....as it's more heartache to come....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How the Houston guards got to the rim by driving to their strong side so often is an indictment of the entire coaching staff.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....I want The Rhody team to have success, regardless of who is the coach....we all do....the collective team talent, including the coach, and yes in year 5 is panning out to be less than desired....what to do about those observances in another chapter.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

adam914 wrote:
Victorino wrote:Adam - zone has been used for years by many good coaches, PC has beaten us I don't know how many times in a row effectively using it. Time to quit drinking the Kool Aid.
Teams play zone against us because we are not a great outside shooting team and we have a lot of players who can break you down off the dribble in a man to man defense and because a lot of our offense is based on screens.

Houston is an excellent 3 point shooting team, I believe someone posted earlier 5th nationally in 3 point percentage. In other words, a horrible team to try and play zone against, especially when it is not your teams strong suit and something you do often. Dan actually did try to switch things up and went zone at the very end of the first half for a possession to try and throw them off guard. It led to the most wide open 3 point attempt in the history of college basketball and we got very lucky that they missed it anyway.

Time to quit thinking that anytime we lose it is because we didn't play more zone.
Houston still shot 50% from three against us which is better than what they were averaging coming into the game. Syracuse is the 5th best team in the country at 3pt fg defense and they only play zone so playing zone doesn't have to lead to teams hitting 3s. I don't think we lost because we didn't play zone but it's the lack of in game adjustments by Dan in general that causes us to lose.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

This team has no identity. I'm not sure if we're a team that wants to win with our offense in faster paced games or slow the game down and grind it out with our defense. Last four games it seemed like our opponents have dictated the pace, not us.

The defense is why we lost today. If someone told me were going to score 77 today I would have thought no doubt we'd win after scoring 51, 60 and 62 in our last 3.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We do whatever it takes to lose...whatever is necessary, we find a way.....we are VERY good at that.

I'll say this...if Dooley and Thorr extend Dan again....I'm done.......DH has to prove he can win here.....otherwise no way in hell he should get another minute on his contract.....

And he's not going to win here.....he's just about proven it.....the rest of this season will confirm it.

It kills me to say that...but most of us know it's true.....
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Zone D? Its like a punch line around Kingston.

Dan can't figure out a zone to play it or against it. Any time a team goes zone our team stops playing.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

josephski wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Victorino wrote:Adam - zone has been used for years by many good coaches, PC has beaten us I don't know how many times in a row effectively using it. Time to quit drinking the Kool Aid.
Teams play zone against us because we are not a great outside shooting team and we have a lot of players who can break you down off the dribble in a man to man defense and because a lot of our offense is based on screens.

Houston is an excellent 3 point shooting team, I believe someone posted earlier 5th nationally in 3 point percentage. In other words, a horrible team to try and play zone against, especially when it is not your teams strong suit and something you do often. Dan actually did try to switch things up and went zone at the very end of the first half for a possession to try and throw them off guard. It led to the most wide open 3 point attempt in the history of college basketball and we got very lucky that they missed it anyway.

Time to quit thinking that anytime we lose it is because we didn't play more zone.
Houston still shot 50% from three against us which is better than what they were averaging coming into the game. Syracuse is the 5th best team in the country at 3pt fg defense and they only play zone so playing zone doesn't have to lead to teams hitting 3s. I don't think we lost because we didn't play zone but it's the lack of in game adjustments by Dan in general that causes us to lose.
Another Keaney Blue message board tradition, bringing up Syracuse when mentioning why we should play zone.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I could care less if we play zone......I do care about our defense, which is nothing like the D we played 2 years ago with supposedly less talent....

Great combo we have, a wildly inconsistent offense [mostly bad] with the same on defense.....we don't do anything very well right now....

We also used to do a good job of shutting down our opponent's best player...now they kill us every time......

Tonight , TWO guys go for 30 and 25......great job...not...were we trying to foul them to death?
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Adam the one man Zone hater. It's not about zone or no zone. Again I like Dan want him to succeed here. But in my cyo opinion something in his coaching makeup needs to change. He's not winning games that need to be won. Let me ask you Adam we're 5 yrs in dropping 3 games we could of or should have won to help build a tournament resume. Adam what is your opinion on where we stand right now?

GO RHODY!
0 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

NIT 2 seed I think we are gonna make a run come mid January
0 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

I know everyone is down but EC woke up today. In 20 days conference play begins so in some aspects it is a clean slate. I am not oblivious to all that has happened so far but it wouldn't shock me if they went on a run
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KillSteenKill wrote:I know everyone is down but EC woke up today. In 20 days conference play begins so in some aspects it is a clean slate. I am not oblivious to all that has happened so far but it wouldn't shock me if they went on a run
depending on what you call a "run"..you might be a member of a small 'not shocked' group...
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

They might go on a run against the weakest A10 in recent memory, and said run will do nothing to help the resume since the competition sucks. The most important part of their resume building is now done and they went 2-4 and lost all their road games. They needed to go 4-2...

EC has a good game and everyone else but Cyril lays an egg. Just like others have said we have 5 guys who can really impact a game but usually only 1 or 2 show up each game... they never all have good games at the same time, so frustrating when you know the potential is there. Jarvis has really been a no show this season and EC and JT never have a good game together. Hass has been the most consistent and he is on the shelf, and Iverson is an enigma.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I think this one really was pretty simple - like I said during the game somebody needed to step in and knock Gray on his arse.....

Not good he cleaned our clocks all day.....

Game lost right there.

Unfortunately we should be way past these teaching moments.

I'm still way more pissed about PC and Valpo....tho this game should have been a victory too, no energy in that building at all....other than the zebras (knowles had his bags paced all afternoon) there was no half court advantage for the Cougars.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

brady1 wrote:Adam the one man Zone hater. It's not about zone or no zone. Again I like Dan want him to succeed here. But in my cyo opinion something in his coaching makeup needs to change. He's not winning games that need to be won. Let me ask you Adam we're 5 yrs in dropping 3 games we could of or should have won to help build a tournament resume. Adam what is your opinion on where we stand right now?

GO RHODY!
I agree, it should not be about zone or no zone, thats why it drives me crazy when every single time we lose a game it is one of the most talked about things in the game thread. And then when I point how crazy that is, everyone assumes that means I think everything is great and am "drinking the kool aid" or whatever just because I don't immediately think that losing equals time to play more zone.

My opinion on where we stand right now is that we are not as good as I thought we would be. I think there have been issues with the offense (I talked a lot about what I thought some of those were in the awesome Offense thread that Jay started).

I don't think any of the 3 road losses were "bad" losses, but I do think we needed to win at least 1, preferably 2 of them to help build a strong resume. And they are the type of games that I had hoped we would have turned the corner to winning at this point.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:can't figure out a zone to play it or against it.
Houston made defensive adjustments mid way through the first half, where they began to lean on a 1-3-1 non-traping zone and, well, that's when I knew we lost this one. So people can poo poo the zone talk, still, since other coaches haven't decided to ignore half of all possible defensive strategies and at times insist on playing lowly zone defenses, maybe we should be up on how to play against zone defenses.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

brady1 wrote:LOL rr02 my boy, yea clown shooting poorly but scoring at will taking it to the basket. Zone please. Nice to see the head nitwit has left his post calling for RHODY to drop football. You must have finally got a job son.

GO RHODY!
I'm sorry, I don't know what you're trying to say, I don't speak Stupid.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:The same thing is going to happen in our conference games against even the decent teams...look at UMass today....does anybody think after watching some of THAT game, that we will beat them in Amherst? LaSalle, GW, Davidson....and of course Dayton....on the road we will lose them.....HM or no HM.....oh I forget St. Joes'.
Let's make a bet since you are so confident that they won't win any of these games. They go winless I leave the board until April 1st 2018. They win even one, since you clearly don't think they can, you leave the board until April 1st 2018.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I'll say this...if Dooley and Thorr extend Dan again....I'm done.......DH has to prove he can win here.....otherwise no way in hell he should get another minute on his contract.....

And he's not going to win here.....he's just about proven it.....the rest of this season will confirm it.

It kills me to say that...but most of us know it's true.....
So why wait? It's not like you even bother to go to games now even though you live locally and post constantly before during and after the games. If you're so confident then leave now and beat the traffic. You won't be missed.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Zone D? Its like a punch line around Kingston.

Dan can't figure out a zone to play it or against it. Any time a team goes zone our team stops playing.
We scored 77 points on the road without Hassan Martin against a zone. Yeah, we clearly stopped playing. Maybe pay attention during a game sometime, you might learn something.

Again, there are legitimate concerns surrounding this team. There are enough of them that we don't need to make shit up. Be better.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
brady1 wrote:Adam the one man Zone hater. It's not about zone or no zone. Again I like Dan want him to succeed here. But in my cyo opinion something in his coaching makeup needs to change. He's not winning games that need to be won. Let me ask you Adam we're 5 yrs in dropping 3 games we could of or should have won to help build a tournament resume. Adam what is your opinion on where we stand right now?

GO RHODY!
I agree, it should not be about zone or no zone, thats why it drives me crazy when every single time we lose a game it is one of the most talked about things in the game thread. And then when I point how crazy that is, everyone assumes that means I think everything is great and am "drinking the kool aid" or whatever just because I don't immediately think that losing equals time to play more zone.

My opinion on where we stand right now is that we are not as good as I thought we would be. I think there have been issues with the offense (I talked a lot about what I thought some of those were in the awesome Offense thread that Jay started).

I don't think any of the 3 road losses were "bad" losses, but I do think we needed to win at least 1, preferably 2 of them to help build a strong resume. And they are the type of games that I had hoped we would have turned the corner to winning at this point.
People talk about spirit animals on this board and I think that's garbage. But if I do have a spirit animal, I think it would be you and I cosign everything in this post. I owe you a domestic beer and half a pizza for phrasing my issues with the team better than I can.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Three Plays Stood out to me yesterday and 2 were captured by RhodyMBB.....

Good. Pass from Stanford Robinson as he drove into a crowded lane and passed to a wide open Jared Terrell in the corner for a 3 ball. You can see the Bench start to stand as they knew right away it was a good pass and something good was about to happen. Also note Akele fighting for offensive rebounding position before the ball is released. Would like to see more of this going inside and dishing outside to the open man.

Good. Drawn up In-bounds play Dowtin to Iverson to an open EC Mathews at the top of the key. Ball never touched the floor. Plus watch #10 Langevine block the Houston guard from being able to get to EC then immediately release and go to the basket aggressively for the rebound. Langevine, Terrell and Iverson were all in position for a possible miss. Like the aggression and rebounding IQ in Langevine - little wonder why he is proving to be a solid rebounder on offense and defense.

Learning Opportunity. Early in game ball thrown in to EC from the sideline, Iverson set a pick but was moving. As soon as I saw Iverson moving I yelled "no, no" and then the ref called the foul on KI. It was very obvious. DH and ARD need to go over this again and again with KI and all of the players involved in setting screens. The announcers said on the broadcast "they are making that call a lot more this year". Word to the wise.......practice holding your feet when setting screens/picks a lot because the Refs have been instructed to watch for that more in 2016.

Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I am wondering about Layssard, if he's not ready to contribute, why was he not red shirted too, instead of wasting a year of eligibility to play a handful of minutes this season? Especially of he was supposed to be better that Tertsea. Also, I was unsure of his signing based on his overall size, he didn't seem to fit what Dan claimed he was trying to do, as far a run and pressure D. He seemed like more of a half court player, and now that's what we are playing and he's sitting?
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

ramster wrote:
Learning Opportunity. Early in game ball thrown in to EC from the sideline, Iverson set a pick but was moving. As soon as I saw Iverson moving I yelled "no, no" and then the ref called the foul on KI. It was very obvious. DH and ARD need to go over this again and again with KI and all of the players involved in setting screens. The announcers said on the broadcast "they are making that call a lot more this year". Word to the wise.......practice holding your feet when setting screens/picks a lot because the Refs have been instructed to watch for that more in 2016.
This is not to nit pick at you per se because others have said this also. But illegal screens (especially when talking about on ball screens) are just as much if not more on the guard than the forward. The problem isn't necessarily that the forwards are moving their feet, the guards almost always leave or attack the screen before it's set. This is just being impatient as a guard and puts the forwards in a bad position. I remember the illegal screen called on KI, EC definitely left early. This especially happens when the forwards set the screen where they flip their hips at the last second.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Adam not calling you a Kool aid drinker. We all want URI to dance. I think to say Dan might be too inflexible a coach to use a zone yesterday to preserve and rest his guards like houston was doing is a valid point. Last I'll mention zone this month. I do think five years in and having lost all three of those top 100 games recently there is nothing wrong with starting to think Dan has to seriously look at his coaching.

But Adam most serious that rr02nitwit was calling you his spirit animal and inviting you to have a domestic beer and pizza with him @ 3am. In 25 years of URI message boards I've read some weird sh&t but that took the cake. Careful man.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Did not see the game, was at a function and kept tabs on my phone. From what I read here , I didn't miss much. I think I've seen this same story/game too many times in recent history. Even keeping tabs on the phone, with a couple other URI fans, the feeling was mutual amongst us, we would lose in the end. Actually happy I didn't see it. Put it on DVR, but its doubtful I will watch it.

6 and 4. Please. Anyone that continues to say it has nothing to do with coaching is either blind, in denial or a good friend of Dan's. I'm still supporting Dan and hope he can turn it around, but my patience is wearing thin. And time keeps going on and nothing seems to change.....at all. Anyone that believes consistently losing close games , many time to good or marginal teams, sorry not many UNC's or Kentucky's, and it has nothing to do with coaching, I am not sure what to say to these people. If we saw from a distance at UMass or LaSalle losing these type of game, it would instantly be commented that Kellogg or Giannini stink, can't coach. What is the different, the last name? Are we not suppose to have a lot of talent? At least thats what it appears to me and what is written here constantly what a great recruiter Dan is.

A guy I was with commented on a couple of teams he watched recently , Northwestern and Butler. His commentary was how well they were coached by young coaches. Offenses in particular were very good. Then we compared our team to Butler. They lost 2 excellent players. Ranked 16th by blue ribbon, we were 25th, not a major difference. 2nd year coach, no other head coaching experience. Good talent, but not Kentucky or Kansas. On neutral court beat Vandy, Northwestern, AZ, all good to very good teams. Beat Utah at Utah. Beat Cincy handily at home. If we lost 2 players at the level of those they lost, we would be giving Danny a pass for another 3 years. Anyway, 2nd year coach, beating quality teams away from home. Not Houston or Valpo. These are not great teams, especially for the level we are hoping to achieve. 2nd year coach , can't go there. A lot more talent? But all we continue to get is excuses. Now Hassan is hurt. Terrible. But , again, Dan gets a pass? Good teams and programs overcome, especially in short term against teams like Houston. It's beyond frustrating.

What is wrong with Layssard? We need offense. He can't get a minute?

And Red, I will be gone before you, so maybe you have a shot at NCAA, at this point I don't think I will ever see one again. Hope I am wrong.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dre3000 wrote:
ramster wrote:
This is not to nit pick at you per se because others have said this also. But illegal screens (especially when talking about on ball screens) are just as much if not more on the guard than the forward. The problem isn't necessarily that the forwards are moving their feet, the guards almost always leave or attack the screen before it's set. This is just being impatient as a guard and puts the forwards in a bad position. I remember the illegal screen called on KI, EC definitely left early. This especially happens when the forwards set the screen where they flip their hips at the last second.
No problem Dre, nit pick all you want :D It did look to be a very confusing seen at the time between KI and EC. So would you say that EC broke too soon before KI had time to establish his position? At any rate, would you agree that based on this incident that more practice time should be devoted to screeds this week? using this as a video, real life example? I had not thought of it being the guards fault so thanks for pointing that out.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

brady1 wrote:Adam not calling you a Kool aid drinker. We all want URI to dance. I think to say Dan might be too inflexible a coach to use a zone yesterday to preserve and rest his guards like houston was doing is a valid point. Last I'll mention zone this month. I do think five years in and having lost all three of those top 100 games recently there is nothing wrong with starting to think Dan has to seriously look at his coaching.

But Adam most serious that rr02nitwit was calling you his spirit animal and inviting you to have a domestic beer and pizza with him @ 3am. In 25 years of URI message boards I've read some weird sh&t but that took the cake. Careful man.

GO RHODY!

You are too funny Brady. But to clarify, Adam is in California so for him the time would be midnight, not 3am. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

giovanni, it's all so true......it will be a long time before we see another NCAA tourney....not with this coach....and he's not that great of a recruiter either....but the talent is better than the results at least I still think so.....

Just like you, I watch games where the offenses are miles ahead of us.....good ball movement...crisp passing, minimal dribbling...and then I watch us....ugh....even our defense has regressed from a couple of years ago.....

It's going to get even harder to recruit with the results we're getting.....we are going to have to wait until DH moves on...one way or the other...and it could be a while.

Dan has gotten the program back on it's feet, that's great...now that he's proven that's his limit....it's time to start looking elsewhere....no more extensions....for the life of me, he can't last until 2021-22 without making the tourney....he's got to go sooner than that.

Maybe one more year and that's it......our core 4 will be gone......and what's replacing them?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

My problem with our defense is it's so predictable. 100% of the time we will be playing man to man. I'm fine with that being our main focus, but if it's not working when a great point guard keeps blowing by any defender that's guarding him we need to make changes. Maybe I'm wrong but typically coaches scout the teams they are playing and based on their strengths and weaknesses they decide what's the best defensive strategy to use. We could be playing a team that when playing against zone they are the worst team in the country and we would still play man. I don't get it.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

06, there's no flexibility or adjustability to his "system".......if it doesn't work, just keep doing it......
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......and previous spurtability seems gone, where the opponents coach is forced into an unplanned TO cause of our mo-runs.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We played Houston, Valpo, pc and ODU home and away last year and this year. We are 1-3 both years. This team just can't play on the road. Last year we were 2-7 in road games in the A10. 13-5 in the A10 seems quite a stretch this year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not going to happen imo.......we'll be lucky to finish 5-4 in road games.....4-5 more likely......
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

FroggyTheFan wrote:Image

........Froggy, now what??......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Houston went zone? like Running Ram posted and the game changed.

There were 10+ blow by's to the basket. Maybe thats why DH had 5 guards out there to finish the game. That worked? the point guard went to the hole. missed and got his own rebound. Zipped it over for a 3 and we no longer had a chance to comeback.

None of this addresses the fact that URI had at least a 5 point lead in all of these games. Then the other team surges back and wins the game making URI appear helpless.

I dont care about zone at all. But the team lost all of its road games. Saying the team hasn't lost a bad game doesn't really matter. That stuff matters when its 1 or 2, not all.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry