Game 10: @ Houston Dec 10 1:30p ESPNU

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: Game 10: @ Houston Dec 10 1:30p ESPNU

Unread post by RIFan »

I don't need to hear from him since he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about anyway...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't see where this was coaching. Coming out of the timeout at the end they drew up a play to get EC open for three when everyone knew it was coming for instance.

I put this on the players, they didn't execute well enough in the second half. EC and Langevine were great today, but we needed more minutes from Langevine in Martin's absence and couldn't get it because of foul trouble. Again not enough from Iverson and a weak game from Terrell.

We have two different breaks of a week coming up which is good because there's a lot to work on. And we need Martin back by the first Dayton game, let's see if it happens.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

EC scores 31 and looks GREAT and we fucking waste it.

Pathetic.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:....and now probably no words from the coach.....again after loss....why??
It's because it's a road game, not because it's a loss, though it's the same thing at this point.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

..... he can't come out, go to the radio mic with Don and Steve.....come on man....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyCM
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RhodyCM »

Is Hurley a quality coach... yes. Does he know how to run a quality defense... yes. But he is not ready to take the next step as a coach that can lead a top 25 program. Not yet anyways... the offensive sets in time of need are terrible. Same story ... It's not just bad luck when it happens every single game. How does Cooley pull off quality wins with much less talent?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

We didn't get out coached we got out shot in the 2nd half by a large margin. It was a bad shot taken by Houston to put them up 6 toward the end of the game but of course it went in. They should have run more time off the clock. It was clearly a WTF moment. Defensively we sucked in both halves as Houston basically got to the rim at will. I must say that without Thompson we lost a real good defensive presence against their guards.

Anybody got Hurley's cell number? If so please send him a text message asking him to have our guys overplay the guys who take the ball to the hoop. Actually send it to any coach or even Thorr.

As well as EC played there was too much dribbling at the end of the game.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Joe wrote:Would've won this one with Hass... Still a lame effort though

RIP at large bid?
Need to win two of the three Dayton/VCU games and finish at least 13-5 in conference with no bad losses. Then win at least 1 in the a10 tournament and we should make it as an at large but it would be close.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I don't see how that will happen.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
josephski
Tom Garrick

I'm not confident it will happen either. The one thing we have on our side is we've got VCU and Dayton at home so that will be a huge advantage.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

RPI is going to be good so I think 23 is the key number heading into selection sunday but if we somehow get into the tourney can you imagine how tight this team would play in our first and only NCAA tourney game
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Gil and TJ were huge in defending and rebounding.

Everything is getting compared to the relative success of 2 years ago. I like Iverson but he's not giving them what either Gil or TJ gave.

Dowtin looks like a freshman. Hurley has put freshmen out there early and they have come around over these past few years. Not seeing it in Dowtin so far. Thompson not being out there hurt.

IS it just me but Akele is a quiet less volatile maybe even not as good Nikola Malesevic.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

There is 0 chance of an at large if we go 13-5 in conference and lose in the A10 tourney.

That will give us 10 losses.

Jesus josephski please be realistic.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
josephski
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote:There is 0 chance of an at large if we go 13-5 in conference and lose in the A10 tourney.

That will give us 10 losses.

Jesus josephski please be realistic.
3 top 50 rpi wins and one or two wins in the a10 tournament could definitely do it. It wouldn't be a definite but to say there is 0 chance is completely wrong.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

We're not beating any decent team when only one or two players are scoring.
I just don't.think this team is as talented as some. We make the same mistakes every game.
We just play dumb.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

cant wait to hear him complain about the crowd turnout after these next few garbage games
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......so, I guess this means our Super Bowl remains alive and well......good grief Charlie Brown...,
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The more things change, the more they remain the same, for URI.
I told my daughter with 5 minutes to go in the 1st half,
"We're not winning this one, either."
EC played one of his beat games, all around.
Langevine acquitted himself well. His first of many double-doubles.
Iverson had a good 2nd half, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, 8 points.
That's if, folks!
The only contributor off the bench was Robinson.
Dowtin looks like a moving statue out there.
Jarvis got some odd fouls called against him, had a couple of moments
4 assists, only 2 turnovers. Nothing great, by any means.
Terrell, his second mediocre game in a row.
As I said earlier in the week, he and Matthews almost
never have good games together.
We need both to excel.
So, yeah, Hassan missing,is a legit excuse.
Still good teams find a way, and good teams win on the road.
We are not a good team, by any stretch.
Period.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What were Layssard's stats?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am reaching the point of no return with this program. Tired of the same old $hit. You can basically predict that Rhody will lose every game vs a decent opponent by a close margin. No clutch players and no big game coach. Continually choke under pressure.

THIS IS NOT AN NCAA TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The rest of the regular season is for NIT seeding.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don't think we're that far away...but as long as Iverson continues to play double digit minutes we won't win against any top 100 team.

He is without a doubt the most overrated player to suit up for uri since Hazelton or Tiger Womack.

I am not claiming to know more about basketball than Dan Hurley. I would legitimately like to know why Iverson is still starting. Why Iverson is still playing big time minutes at the 4. Why Iverson has such a long leash after mistakes. You cannot tell me that Mike Layssard or Berry would be less effective than the -13 that we had with Iverson on the floor in the 2nd half. With the -10 he had against PC in the 2nd half. This isn't a dream. This isn't me just saying wow he sucks without understanding basketball.

Beyond the stats that are OVERWHELMING in the case of keeping Iverson off the floor...you can't tell me that he passes the eye test either.

6'9 and refusing to go into the paint is worthless.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Thought we should of mixed in a little zone. Thought houston guards were fresher down stretch. Always feel Dan reacts to what other coach throws at him. Dan try imposing your will on these other teams, jam something down their throat. You have the talent to make the other team lose it trying to stop you. Player match ups to win the game not stop the other team.

GO RHODY!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

How many dunks did we have?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I didn't see any of this game - probably the only one I'll miss this year. But the final score is more or less what I was expecting. As my parents loved to say to me - I'm not mad, just disappointed.

I will say, though, if you want to build your identity around defense you can't give up 45 points in the second half to blow a halftime lead.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Somehow Iverson got 7 rebounds and blocked 3 shots,which didn't happen 15 feet from the hoop,
so you're talking out of your ass.
Where are you getting the minus crap from?
How can a player be minus 13 when the game was 5 points at half?????
Iverson isn't the reason they lost.
This was a team loss. Face it, they aren't as good as you seem to feel
they are or should be.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm so tired of this shit, I swear we go 0-3 in ooc away games and dudes are on here defending the coaching. Unreal! So here we go again, not playing up to expectations and out come the excuse makers and apologists.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Running Ram wrote:I'm so tired of this shit, I swear we go 0-3 in ooc away games and dudes are on here defending the coaching. Unreal! So here we go again, not playing up to expectations and out come the excuse makers and apologists.
At this point I would contribute to the buyout fund for Hurley's contract and start fresh. This coach is overrated. You could argue he is better than Baron but he isn't the guy to take this team to the next level.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:I don't think we're that far away...but as long as Iverson continues to play double digit minutes we won't win against any top 100 team.

He is without a doubt the most overrated player to suit up for uri since Hazelton or Tiger Womack.

I am not claiming to know more about basketball than Dan Hurley. I would legitimately like to know why Iverson is still starting. Why Iverson is still playing big time minutes at the 4. Why Iverson has such a long leash after mistakes. You cannot tell me that Mike Layssard or Berry would be less effective than the -13 that we had with Iverson on the floor in the 2nd half. With the -10 he had against PC in the 2nd half. This isn't a dream. This isn't me just saying wow he sucks without understanding basketball.

Beyond the stats that are OVERWHELMING in the case of keeping Iverson off the floor...you can't tell me that he passes the eye test either.

If you watched the game you saw Berry had no place in it. Would have liked to have seen Layssard though.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote:I'm so tired of this shit, I swear we go 0-3 in ooc away games and dudes are on here defending the coaching. Unreal! So here we go again, not playing up to expectations and out come the excuse makers and apologists.
We were expected to lose at Providence and today according to all the metrics.

Also its almost like it's not just coaching that has to do with the outcome of the game. Like maybe the players have something to do with whether you win or lose. I believe the players lack of execution is responsible for today's loss and not coaching.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I don't think we're that far away...but as long as Iverson continues to play double digit minutes we won't win against any top 100 team.

If you watched the game you saw Berry had no place in it. Would have liked to have seen Layssard though.
Correct. I saw nothing that said Iverson looked any better. Every game except one half against Cincy has shown the same Iverson.

I don't care about individual players. The team is worse with Iverson on the floor. Period. You shouldn't have a player like that on your starting 5.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

plenty of coaches out there would have this group of kids at 9-1/8-2. So another winter of discontent para mi.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

As soon as Houston got the lead, Dan's demeanor totally changed. Like the sky was falling. Then everyone played scared.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Like who?
Akele, who do NOTHING, except one turnover
and two fouls.
Yeah, that'll work.
Comparing Dan to CFL and screaming Dan is better,
sets the bar pretty damned low.
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Blue, Iverson has all the tools to be successful at this level if it's not happening look to the coaches.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Like who?
Akele, who do NOTHING, except one turnover
and two fouls.
Yeah, that'll work.
Comparing Dan to CFL and screaming Dan is better,
sets the bar pretty damned low.
Exactly! So what if Dan is better than Baron. Doesn't mean he is the guy to get this team to the next level.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote:......the season is adrift.....no leadership, no direction....
I will stick with this until I observe different on both counts; leadership and direction.....we lack both......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

So players with talent and ability not executing doesn't have anything to do with coaching huh?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Randomness...

Agree Berry didn't fit in this game. Everything was just too quick.

What's a "Layssard"? Not sure if he'd have helped, but I think sasquatch is taking pictures of him

Iverson at least showed some signs of life out there - they didn't lose because of him. It's not like anyone they brought in was a big upgrade.

With 'today EC', they would have undoubtedly beat Valpo and PC and this loss wouldn't have sucked nearly as much.

Over/under combined attendance for the next two games ... 6400?

Predicted 4 OOC losses...which seems right now, so not sure why so disappointed...but I also predicted only 4 conference losses...and that looks dicey at best.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It sucks that the season is over so early. At least we made it 9 games further this year before we could call it. I guess that's progress. The A10 tourney is our only shot at this point, since this may be the weakest the A10 has ever been, it might be a 2-3 bid league this year.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

At least Army Navy was exciting
0 x
Victorino
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Victorino »

Gray killed us. He penetrated at will. Should have tried a zone. Houston got most of the loose balls and rebounds and hit their critical shots, we didn't, 2nd half collapse again.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Don't get the Iverson thing thought he played like I would like him to play today. Rebounded didn't try to make any hero passes he had no business making. Thought he played like he was solid 4th man on a good team knew his role today. Our other losses he was trying to be our star when he played and he hurt us badly.

Not that a freaken shitty zone is the answer to our problems but when Barry played he didn't belong on defense in a man to man guard game why not go zone with Barry. I know he's our 9-10th guy but did houston have anyone to guard a load on offense, does that make are guards more effective. We have the talent to influence the way the game is played. Dan insists on trying to react to what's thrown at him. Come the f out of the foxhole Dan. ATTACK! Great win by ARMY! Maybe we can break our jinx.

GO RHODY!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Death, taxes, and if URI loses everyone thinks we should have played zone.
3 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Adam are you saying Dan is predictable to good coaches? I don't care if its zone or putting Barry Cycil and Iverson out with Ec and Terrel. Go Big. Obviously our tough man to man at all costs at all times works at high schools in NJ and Wagner College but does it work in the A10.

GO RHODY!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Victorino wrote:Gray killed us. He penetrated at will. Should have tried a zone. Houston got most of the loose balls and rebounds and hit their critical shots, we didn't, 2nd half collapse again.
...... hang with me here....take out "Gray" and insert "EC"......take out "Houston" and insert "Rhode Island".......was this not supposed to be the team(s) reaction to us beating opponents like a rented mule....that we were expecting...?....just asking....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't see what our full court man to man does right now. It certainly doesn't create turnovers. Only occasionally, in desperation, do we trap either in the backcourt or near the halfcourt line on the defensive side of the court. Supposedly it tires out the guards of the other teams. Gray played all 40 minutes today. He didn't look tired. Maybe the only guards that are tiring with this defense are ours.
2 x
Victorino
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Victorino »

Adam - zone has been used for years by many good coaches, PC has beaten us I don't know how many times in a row effectively using it. Time to quit drinking the Kool Aid.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

brady1 wrote:Adam are you saying Dan is predictable to good coaches? I don't care if its zone or putting Barry Cycil and Iverson out with Ec and Terrel. Go Big. Obviously our tough man to man at all costs at all times works at high schools in NJ and Wagner College but does it work in the A10.

GO RHODY!
No, I am saying our fans are predictable in that any time we lose a game all they can come up with is "we should play zone".
Last edited by adam914 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Not the refs fault, not Hurley's fault, not Kuran's fault, not ECs fault.

We're just not that good. Plain and simple.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Victorino wrote:Adam - zone has been used for years by many good coaches, PC has beaten us I don't know how many times in a row effectively using it. Time to quit drinking the Kool Aid.
Teams play zone against us because we are not a great outside shooting team and we have a lot of players who can break you down off the dribble in a man to man defense and because a lot of our offense is based on screens.

Houston is an excellent 3 point shooting team, I believe someone posted earlier 5th nationally in 3 point percentage. In other words, a horrible team to try and play zone against, especially when it is not your teams strong suit and something you do often. Dan actually did try to switch things up and went zone at the very end of the first half for a possession to try and throw them off guard. It led to the most wide open 3 point attempt in the history of college basketball and we got very lucky that they missed it anyway.

Time to quit thinking that anytime we lose it is because we didn't play more zone.
4 x