Game 10: @ Houston Dec 10 1:30p ESPNU

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Game 10 Houston

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm pumped now, win baby win.
0 x
GO RAMS
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Joseph Duarte (Joseph_Duarte)
. @UHCougarMBK @CoachSampsonUH says team should know status of forward Devin Davis later today. He could miss 2-3 weeks with tendon injury https://t.co/CaPOv53L9O
9:56 AM - 8 Dec 2016

FYI injuries on both sides.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Hadn't seen that... That's just as significant an injury for them as Hass is for us. He was averaging 11.6 pts and 6.5 rebs. Looks like he got hurt in the early part of their loss to Arkansas.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If Davis can't go my prediction for the line would move it down two points or so, to about -3.5.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Davis only played 3 minutes of the Arkansas game before injury.
Davis transferred from Indiana and of course he knows Stanford Robinson.
He was the Pedestrian who was hit by the car driven by teammate Emmitt Holt. Davis was actually charged for walking in front of the vehicle. Drinking was involved. He spent time in the hospital, rejoined the team, but later dismissed for other reasons. Went to Odessa JC and was highly ranked. Very good player but not as big a loss as HM is to us.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Mongo wrote:Joseph Duarte (Joseph_Duarte)
. @UHCougarMBK @CoachSampsonUH says team should know status of forward Devin Davis later today. He could miss 2-3 weeks with tendon injury https://t.co/CaPOv53L9O
9:56 AM - 8 Dec 2016

FYI injuries on both sides.
Mongo need food. Mongo eat cougar or punch horse.

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

mongo.jpg
mongo.jpg (7.57 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yay goodbye Davis!
If Kuran shows up we definitely win now.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Where do people come from with this "definitely" stuff? There is no definitely. Literally nothing is definite, especially beating a good team on the road after the way we've played on the road this year and the last few years. ODU fans probably thought they would "definitely" beat us when they found out Hassan wasn't playing.

Why do we set ourselves up for disappointment by making crazy proclamations like this?
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

it's gotta be Hope Dining. I always thought I felt a little bit crazier after eating there.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The only "definite" thing is that this promises to be a tough game. Houston is a solid team playing at home.

Houston destroyed what is turning out to be a pretty good George Mason team (7-3) by 37 points 93-56 in Estero, Florida in November, the Gulf Coast Classic.
George Mason just beat Penn State (6-4) by 19 points 85-66 at Penn State. Penn State lost to Duke by 10 points.

Most want a running game and you are very likely to get your wish tomorrow:
The Cougars averaging 87.4 points with a low of 72 and a high of 105
Morgan State 93
George Mason 93
South Dakota State 85
Vermont 72
Cornell 83
LSU 84
Prairie View 105
Arkansas 84

As for the running request, makes me think of what a boss once told me "sometimes you have to be careful what you as for" :lol: :lol: :lol: Houston wants to run to. So let the race begin.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Can we run with a team that likes to run? Anybody remember Iona? Maybe not a great example in terms of the quality of the opponent, but.....
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We will soon find out, stay tuned
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote:Where do people come from with this "definitely" stuff? There is no definitely. Literally nothing is definite, especially beating a good team on the road after the way we've played on the road this year and the last few years. ODU fans probably thought they would "definitely" beat us when they found out Hassan wasn't playing.

Why do we set ourselves up for disappointment by making crazy proclamations like this?
I expect nothing but disappointment.
And I don't think it's crazy to say if Kuran has a good game
Against their nothing front line we will win.
There can be other factors where Kuran plays well and we lose. But Ima just say we win if he has a good game since one of their starting forwards is out.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Line came out Houston -4
Latest Down to -3

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... las-vegas/
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote:it's gotta be Hope Dining. I always thought I felt a little bit crazier after eating there.
I don't know the last time you were in Hope, but it was remodeled about ten years ago and is great. They took the best of Hope and Roger Williams and then made that better. People going to URI at the turn of the century got hosed.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:Rod, that's how I looked at the Valpo game. I was so confident we would beat them. And I still think we should have.

I feel the same way too about Houston. They just don't impress me.

But I learned my lesson. So tough to win on the road.
I'm not saying I get it, but Houston is projected to finish as a top-30 RPI team. So beating them on the road without your most important player would be quite an accomplishment. I'm hopeful but not expectant. For what it's worth, the difference between winning and losing this game would be about 5 spots in the final RPI based on the forecasts (26 vs 31) and would be another feather-in-the-cap on the resume. So winning the game would be huge but the season isn't over if we lose. Hope people will be able to keep some perspective and have realistic expectations in light of the way this team has looked since the Duke game.

By the way, I'd expect the line to be about Houston -6. The rest of the way, though, we will only be dogs one more time and that's against Dayton on the road. The @Davidson game we could also actually be slight dogs or a pick, but I will like us in that game.
I agree with this to some extent. Going 0-3 in OOC road games makes it look like we can't beat decent teams on the road. Only way to really prove we can beat good teams on the road would be to win against Dayton or Davidson so losing against Houston would put more pressure on us to win one of those. If Houston is the best road game on our OOC schedule then we should have won against either Valpo or PC, tournament teams should not go 0-3 on the road against borderline NCAA tournament teams. Either way it's not make or break but there will be more pressure on us during the a10 season if we lose this game.

Right now the RPI Wizard shows Houston with a projected RPI of 36 I believe. I'm personally not a huge fan of the RPI projections. Valpo has a projected RPI of 76 even though past two years they've been top 50 and were predicted to win the horizon this year. Houston on the other hand came in fourth in the AAC preseason poll but has lost to LSU and Arkansas who were 12th and 5th in the SEC preseason poll respectively. Houston hasn't won a tough game yet and I'd be surprised if they finish in the top 50 for RPI.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
theblueram wrote:it's gotta be Hope Dining. I always thought I felt a little bit crazier after eating there.
I don't know the last time you were in Hope, but it was remodeled about ten years ago and is great. They took the best of Hope and Roger Williams and then made that better. People going to URI at the turn of the century got hosed.
It was a joke. I took my daughter on a tour last year and have seen the updates. It is amazing. When I was there, well, at least I was so hungover from the Pub I didn't care :lol:
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 10: @ Houston Dec 10 1:30p ESPNU

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Only good thing about the Expected RPI is that it is updated daily based off actual games completed this season. Based on team performances, Jeff Sagarin's ratings adjust and from those ratings, RPI Forecast has chance of victory for each future game. Then RPI Forecast runs 10,000 simulations, then calculates the RPI off those predictions, then ranks teams by the most likely RPI they got out of the 10,000 sims.

Of course, it won't ever be perfect, but as we get more and more games into the season, Sagarin's well respected ratings become more and more significant and the head-to-head outcomes more educated.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great Post ATP
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This is a big game. URI cannot afford to be 6-4 including 0-3 on the road with the first third of the regular season in the books.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This is one of those toss up road games that we never seem to win.

However, the injury to their forward IS a big deal imo and gives us a decent chance to win....the guy plays the position that gives us the most trouble....meaning KI might not get dominated.......
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Bone, I'm in KI's got to wake up or sit. Thanks for the couple hundy gain on OD. I'm with Rod on houston they have beaten no one and i'm not impressed with their two loss's. Can't figure out how they get a 30 RPI with that resume. Heard they are a guard oriented team so we should have enough fire power here even without Hass. Time to make shots EC.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hey brady I actually have a good feeling about this one......

Please win, I'm sick of thrashing and trashing this team and coach...give me something to be happy about....

We need more than 2 guys to have a good game at the same time....
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

with ya Bone we have the talent to have four guys have a good game at same time. Seems like our coaching staff needs to will that's possible to the kids. Bone love to see you post like a maniac after a win I only know the depressive side of Bone. I'd pay F'n big money to party with MANIC BONE.

GO RHODY!
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Does anyone have a different forum board than http://www.coogfans.com? There's very little activity there, can't imagine that a storied program doesn't have more online tough guys. Very little activity there..
Last edited by Mongo 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Like Iverson want him to succeed. If EC is off he's a starter on a very good team not a star. If Iverson's is off its incredible how much of a liability he becomes he's literally a walking video on how you'd throw a game,now I know he's not but it's amazing to watch. Iverson when your games not on rebound play D make easy passes no mistakes play minutes let the game come to you. Coaching please in my CYO opinion.

GO RHODY!
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Any word on the status of Davis?
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Like Hassan, he's doubtful. He may have severed a tendon, which will keep him out multiple weeks. Even without that, he got stitches on 2 fingers on his strong hand 2 days ago. I'm pretty sure he's not playing tomorrow.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Thompson is hurt too isn't he?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PeterRamTime wrote:Thompson is hurt too isn't he?
Yes, he is questionable.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I saw Houston -5 I think I will take URI
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

If URI can win this game it could put their season right back on the preseason expectation track. This is a huge opportunity. They will have 5 huge games, 2 neutral court games and 3 road games, go 2-3 in those games (IF and a huge IF they can pull of today's game) they will have a solid RPI and a 9-3 record going into conference play. Go 13-5 in conference play and they should be securely on the right side of the bubble going into tournament time.

Can't understate how important today's game is especially considering the top half of the A-10 has been a little down this year. Conference looks to max out at 3 potential at-large bids.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yep...just win the game....who cares about style points....play great or win ugly...doesn't matter.....on the road though, they need to put 2 halves together, something they haven't done against a decent opponent so far this year.....if KI sucks early, get him the hell out of the game.....
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote:

Play like hungrier dogs 8-)
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Mongo wrote:Does anyone have a different forum board than http://www.coogfans.com? There's very little activity there, can't imagine that a storied program doesn't have more online tough guys. Very little activity there..
Also this scout forum but not much there http://www.scout.com/college/houston/fo ... basketball
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"Play like hungrier dogs " 8-)
0 x
Hmm...I don't recall any of my dogs playing basketball,
hungry or not.
Must be a tRUMPism.
He loves to say "Fired like a dog",
"Lied like a dog""
Must hate dogs because dogs can't lie or be fired.
Defending Russia today over the CIAs report.
Yes, I know. This belongs in the political page of KB.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Let's win this game FOR Martin today. He's senior year and he can't even fight for his team right now. Everybody needs to step up and pull this out for him. He deserves an NCAA tournament appearance to close out his fantastic career in Kingston.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rodfromcranston wrote:"Play like hungrier dogs " 8-)
0 x
hungry or not.
Must be a tRUMPism.
"Lied like a dog""
Was just quoting Hurls from the ProJo article...I also can't see a good dog compare for basketball...maybe that's the problem - hungry or not, they don't seem to ever run any plays either. We have a 12 year old Golden Retriever...she never could shoot to save her life, and she's lost a step, but she does dribble occasionally...
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:"Play like hungrier dogs " 8-)
0 x
hungry or not.
Must be a tRUMPism.
"Lied like a dog""
Was just quoting Hurls from the ProJo article...I also can't see a good dog compare for basketball...maybe that's the problem - hungry or not, they don't seem to ever run any plays either. We have a 12 year old Golden Retriever...she never could shoot to save her life, and she's lost a step, but she does dribble occasionally...
You guys have clearly never seen Air Bud.

3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I'm predicting a 65-59 win. Not sure who the points will come from but we'll play a great defensive game and manage to have enough guys step up on offense to win.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Son of a B! I switched from Fios to Xfinity today (install was literally this AM) and I dont have ESPNU :-(
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I'm predicting Houston 70 - 61, just haven't seen anything that leads me to believe we can pull together a solid effort on the road
We start the game falling behind 11-3
Kuran picks up foul #2 with 15:00 remaining in the first
EC is the only one who can get his offense going, we go 1-11 from 3 in the first half and run a stagnant offense
Houston is in the bonus shooting 1:1 with 8:00 remaining in the half
We have more TO's than assists in the first half
URI goes 4-9 from the FT line
2nd half is a mirror image of the first half (we make our usual run but never get over the hump)
Hope I'm wrong, but this type of game we are likely to play on the road vs good/decent teams.
Hoping for the best but expecting another tough road loss.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I can't believe Thompson is now hurt.....WTF!!!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This Depaul Temple game is going to take an hour to finish. I think about 11 seconds have run off the clock in the last 10 minutes.
0 x