PC has beaten us 7 Straight - Got It

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

PC has beaten us 7 Straight - Got It

Unread post by ramster »

I posted this yesterday in the Hassan Injury thread. Most every article I read after the PC game mentioned the 7 consecutive games now lost to PC. Whether the article was by Bill Koch, Kevin Mac or Bill Reynolds. We get it. 7 Straight.

But then yesterday Bill Koch wrote about the ODU upcoming game and mentions the 7 game PC win streak over us not once, but twice in the same article that was about ODU (not PC related). Ok I got it, we have lost 7 straight. Even two nights ago I was thinking that I certainly hope that I have heard about the 7 game streak for the last time.

But no...... straight from the "You Can't make this stuff up department" :lol: :lol: in today's projo read below.................

I can't imagine that repeated references to the drought against Providence that extended to seven games didn't set well with Dan Hurley. Imagine that.

In the words of Britney Spears "Oops!...I did it again"

But then again it has to be making for some great locker room motivational postings. :lol: :lol:

From today's Projo article:

"Producing such a performance without forward Hassan Martin (right quadriceps) further pleased Hurley, who delivered his postgame remarks with a noticeable edge. Stewing on a pair of defeats and losing his program's national ranking didn't sit well with the URI coach, nor did repeated references to a drought against Providence that extended to seven games. The resulting gloom over the past 48 hours signaled a bit of a pullback from certain segments of a Rams' fan base suddenly questioning the validity of its preseason expectations.

"None of those games for our team were our Super Bowl," Hurley said. "Our Super Bowl is winning our conference and getting to the NCAA Tournament. That's what we're focused on, and we didn't lose any of that last week."
bkoch@providencejournal.com

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... ing-battle

I was thinking night why I have to read the same think in every PC -URI article - that PC has beaten URI 7 straight times. Ok, ok, enough already. I will go with something 208 said in the past, that these kids now relatively nothing about the history of the schools basketball results. Why keep hammering about 7 straight? We get it. Come up with something else.

But then, this morning, even for the Old Dominion game, here it is again, not once but twice in the 1st 4 paragraphs.

Got it Bill. PC has beaten URI 7 straight times. No kidding.

I know Bill Reynolds yearns for the days when URI and PC played twice per year. No thanks.............

By Bill Koch
Journal Sports Writer

SOUTH KINGSTOWN — Its national ranking is gone. A seventh year has passed without a breakthrough victory against a bitter rival. Back-to-back losses for the first time in the 2016-17 season have raised doubts from certain segments of its fan base.

This is the noise the University of Rhode Island’s players and coaches now deal with, a far cry from the preseason predictions of conference championships and individual honors.

Difficult as it might be to believe, it all sounds the same to the Rams. It must. Being able to ride out the ebbs and flows of several months and more than 30 games is a key component in any successful college basketball program, and Tuesday brings another chance to see just how adept this current group is at practicing that difficult skill.

Old Dominion visits for a 7 p.m. tip at the Ryan Center, a place where URI has won all four of its games this season. The Rams could certainly use the comforts of their own building after dropping three of their last four, including Saturday’s 63-60 crusher against Providence at the Dunkin' Donuts Center. URI saw a seven-point lead slip away in the second half, with the Friars matching their longest winning streak (seven) in a blood feud that dates back to the 1920s

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... d-dominion
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: PC has beaten us 7 Straight - Got It

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I agree it is most repetitive.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we had beaten PC 7 straight times, I guarantee you we would be mentioning it as often as other fans / media people are.

I know I would 100% bring up beating PC 7 straight times any chance I got.

If we want to shut them up, let's stop choking against them and actually beat them.
4 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Win one and it will stop.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hurley can't even beat them at the RC....and close doesn't count......
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I think Ramster's point is that the Projo continues to mention it outside articles on the PC game itself. Of course fans and normal people would have different usage patterns for that information.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:I think Ramster's point is that the Projo continues to mention it outside articles on the PC game itself. Of course fans and normal people would have different usage patterns for that information.
And why should we expect anything different from the PC Journal?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....FWIW....today's Narragansett Times Sports headline(Colby Cotter piece) "Rhody continues to act as doormat for rival Friars"......nice.....that will help increase the local ticket buyers.....extra nice.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Even our own area newspapers are piling on...well probably our best chance to beat them in years has come and gone.....

Nobody to blame...but us...the team and coach that is
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hurley seemed pretty peeved after last night's game.
"None of these games we lost was our Super Bowl."
I don't recall the PC= our Super Bowl,mentioned on this board, but I have
seen it on their board.
Koch mentioned that "certain segments" of our fanbase was drawing back
and questioning the preseason expectations.
3 out of 4 games lost, before last night, might just do that.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I agree with 15...and what another poster said yesterday. I'd bring it up whenever possible...even when irrelevant.
For example..."Pats have been pretty successful...speaking of Super Bowls...how about that Pats/Giants rivalry...?"

Or, "boy that Mariano Rivera sure was a great one...remember on Opening Day at Fenway in 2005 how he got a standing ovation and tipped his cap to the Fenway faithful?"

Then again, I'm not a journalist that's (theoretically) sposed to be objective either...

But until the tide changes...just have to keep surfing the surf that's there....
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Only PC fans call it our Super Bowl. The cincy game was much more important for our tournament hopes than beating PC. Agree that 3 out of 4 losses will raise some doubt.

As far as the journal, it seems the first question they ask is how can we belittle the state school? And then go from there.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unfortunately I don't see us beating them anytime in the near future either. Next year, we lose Hass. They lose nobody. Then the following year we lose Jared, Jarvis, EC, Stan and Andre. If we don't have an incredible recruiting year in '18 to restock this roster, this streak could reach double figures and beyond.
1 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

PC fans are constantly belittling URI as "irrelevant" and many actually believe UCONN is their rival. Do you think if we were really irrelevant and unimportant the Dunk would have sold out last Saturday?

As far as the coverage, just beat them and it will stop. As sad as it is, attendance numbers are affected by that annual game which is why I think it should be circled on the schedule each year. It's definitely not our Superbowl though.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Game matters. Rivalrys matter. Projo is projo. I think they're lost in the sauce as ever.

Think about this. Hassan Martin won't beat PC in his career.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Up until this year, the PC game has been our Super Bowl every year since Hurley got hired.

Think about it. Last year, no EC, no tourney hope, and the game was at The Ryan Center.

Year before that, young team, looking to make a statement, kinda sorta on the bubble but not really.

And the previous years we had no shot at the tournament, thus making PC the biggest game of the year.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:I think Ramster's point is that the Projo continues to mention it outside articles on the PC game itself. Of course fans and normal people would have different usage patterns for that information.
True ATP. Too much repeating the same thing.

But what fascinated me was this from his article: "Stewing on a pair of defeats and losing his program's national ranking didn't sit well with the URI coach, nor did repeated references to a drought against Providence that extended to seven games."

ATP,
I have to believe that the repeated references to a drought against Providence that extended to seven games that did not sit well with Hurley was directed at Koch (or at least partially). He has used that line in multiple articles after the game. Did Koch truly not realize that he was a possible source of this stewing?

Local sports writers have a tough job, I will admit that I would not be good at it, and I admire Bill Koch for how he has advanced his career and he does a phenomenal job with local RI sports. He is enthusiastic and extremely hard working in my opinion. But writers need have to keep a good rapport with the Coaches to keep good information flowing.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I don't get the issue here? Projo is just reporting the facts.

URI has lost 7 straight to PC, don't like it? Beat PC.
Last edited by STC 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Whatever dudes, PC owns us, suck it up. Never mind lil ole providence sports media.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sure
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

"none of those games we lost was our Super Bowl" .....what kind of a crock is that?

Those "games" are important...they might in the end be the difference between us Dancing or left on the bubble....

What a sad excuse......pitiful.......it's almost like Dan said, who cares if we lost them?
2 x
Peacefrog99
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Peacefrog99 »

Unfortunately, pregame posts on this board like below fuel the PC fan view that the annual game vs them is our super bowl.
--------------------
by reef
5 days ago
Forum: NCAAs or Bust!
Topic: Game 8: @ Providence - 4:30p Sat Dec 3 Check Local Listings

Great video about the rivalry. One of the best days of the year like waking up for Super Bowl Sunday.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Peacefrog99 wrote:Unfortunately, pregame posts on this board like below fuel the PC fan view that the annual game vs them is our super bowl.
--------------------
by reef
5 days ago
Forum: NCAAs or Bust!
Topic: Game 8: @ Providence - 4:30p Sat Dec 3 Check Local Listings

Great video about the rivalry. One of the best days of the year like waking up for Super Bowl Sunday.
That's dumb on PC fans, though. It's a fun day because you're playing your in-state rival. You get to bust balls with your friends and everyone that cares even a little about college basketball in RI is a basketball fan that day (kind of like anyone that kind of cares about football is a football fan on super bowl Sunday). As for the importance of the game, it's bragging rights for fans but as far as the season goes it's an early season OOC game against a quality opponent - for both teams (usually). It's an important game, but not THE important game. The super bowl is the purpose of the whole season, the PC/URI game isn't for either team.

PC fans that say that are either pretending they don't understand what I just said or they're bad basketball fans and don't understand what they're talking about.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

If we have a good team and PC has a good team it will always be a more important game for us. PC has the Big East to fall back on and for the most part will always have more opportunities for big wins along with a better SOS.

The PC game this year obviously won't be the most important game of the season but 2-1 should have been the expectation for the 3 road games in our OOC. Once we lost to Valpo the PC game became more important. Now because we lost to PC the Houston becomes even more important, can't go 0-3 in our 3 OOC road games with the expectations this team had coming into the season.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I agree with Bones of Doom, I was pretty unhappy to hear DH's comments about the two loses that bumped us from the top 25. DH is right in that neither game is the superbowl of the season, but that comment is just lame and deflective.

An A10 championship and ncaa birth is not the Superbowl and not the reason DH was hired, that is to say, getting us there on occasion is not the reason he was hired. If we win the A10 and lose in the first round of the ncaa's I for one will not feel like we won the superbowl. Also, if we barely get in this year and fall off some next year, not good enough. WE WANT TO PUT PC IN OUR SHADOW! We want to put PC in our shadow as a result of becoming the best team in all of the northeast, the team in the region that fans think of first when thinking of the top teams in the nation. That is what we want. And losing two winnable away RPI boosters doesn't move us towards that goal. GOT IT!?!!
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Losing 7 straight to PC will be a stain on DH resume until he finally beats them

I also agree don't dwell on it our goals are still in front of us
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

reef wrote:Losing 7 straight to PC will be a stain on DH resume until he finally beats them
Not to pick on you but if this sentence doesn't encapsulate exactly what's wrong with this fanbase right now I don't know what does. It's a stain on his resume that URI has lost seven in a row even though he wasn't here for the first two. It's a stain on his resume that URI hasn't made the tournament since 1999 even though he's only in the middle of his fifth year and there's still a clear path to the tournament.

This fanbase is so rightfully starved for success that certain portions of it have zero perspective. By the way that last sentence wasn't aimed at you reef, I know what you meant when you wrote it but your comment was a great jumping off point
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

There is nothing really logical about why many of us still hate PC basketball.

The truly dastardly deeds were done decades ago.

If you are an engineer or perhaps a Vulcan you will never understand......but it is real, very very real.

We want friartown destroyed.

Anything less results in extreme disappointment.

I hate only 3 things in life, asparagus, nyy and friartown.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:There is nothing really logical about why many of us still hate PC basketball.

The truly dastardly deeds were done decades ago.

If you are an engineer or perhaps a Vulcan you will never understand......but it is real, very very real.

We want friartown destroyed.

Anything less results in extreme disappointment.

I hate only 3 things in life, asparagus, nyy and friartown.
The people who weren't there in the 70s can't possibly understand it. They might have heard about it or read about it, but didn't live it. The hard core URI fan like myself will never forget it. And some, like myself, will never let it go. I wish I could.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Last night on CBSSports, Jon Rothstein,
wrapping up Kentucky's slaughter of Valpo,
"Valpo beat Rhode Island, when they were ranked!"
Later on in the show, Rothstein was asked, who surprised
him in the Big East.
"Well, Providence just beat Rhode Island....."
AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote:Up until this year, the PC game has been our Super Bowl every year since Hurley got hired.

Think about it. Last year, no EC, no tourney hope, and the game was at The Ryan Center.

Year before that, young team, looking to make a statement, kinda sorta on the bubble but not really.

And the previous years we had no shot at the tournament, thus making PC the biggest game of the year.
It's been over 20 years since I've thought this game was our biggest. Only PC fans are arrogant enough to assume they are our "Super Bowl." Sorry 15, I see your point in that the logistics of the last 3 URI games might have made the game against PC one of the bigger on the schedule, but it certainly doesn't make or break our season. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

On to Houston.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I understand the history - certainly not on the level to have lived it - but I've read the books, I've talked to enough people who were there...and I get it. At the same time, objectively looking at it, I wish we had someone like a Dave Gavitt to do for us what he did for PC. We didn't.

Without that we were on parallel to maybe above PC in the 90's. We are fully capable of being a similar-level program, but I just really don't see them as the program I want to emulate or be better than.

I've seen it posted on here before that really all this loss means for this year is that we need to have thick skin and just deal with people chirping at us because they've earned the right to. We would do the same. That's sports.

PC looks better than anticipated this year, which will help our RPI, and make that loss on the road just a missed opportunity, not a blemish.

It just reeks of small time program every time someone whines that people point out the fact that PC beat us.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

steviep123 wrote: Only PC fans are arrogant enough to assume they are our "Super Bowl."
The showing in 2009 did nothing but help that assertion.
It was an exciting game, but URI was the much better team (5.5 favorites) and ended up finishing the game up relatively comfortable (believe most of the last minute was a 2 possession game).
But the coach is inviting students to storm the court after he takes the mic.
So to any average PC fan in the audience, what is their perception supposed to be when they see things like that and the people who defended it?
That's probably what started the 7 year curse :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agree that was a bad look.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

steviep123 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:Up until this year, the PC game has been our Super Bowl every year since Hurley got hired.

It's been over 20 years since I've thought this game was our biggest. Only PC fans are arrogant enough to assume they are our "Super Bowl." Sorry 15, I see your point in that the logistics of the last 3 URI games might have made the game against PC one of the bigger on the schedule, but it certainly doesn't make or break our season. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

On to Houston.
Most years I would probably agree with this however there is an outside possibility both teams will be on the bubble the end of the year. So I think there is a chance that game could come back in play if both teams are going for one of a few spots.
1 x