Changes that should happen... to be successful from this guys couch!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Changes that should happen... to be successful from this guys couch!

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

1. Balance out Iverson and Akele's minutes completely with Nicola finishing games. This should light a fire under Kuran's tail, if it doesn't then we have bigger issues.

2. Let EC work off the ball more, get Jared the ball late when a shot is needed and look to move the ball faster. When we moved the ball quickly against Cincy we got complete open looks.

3. Bring back the Hurley diamond and horn sets. Years 1-3 we ran sets that worked because each had more than one option, the high/side ballscreen is too easy to defend when that's all your running. We have weapons, we need to run an offense that has more than one option heough the play.

4. More offensively focused, work the high low if your not going to take Kuran off the floor and make Kuran work with Hassan to get "warfare" baskets. Bruise the opponents bigs legally and work the ball inside early.

5. Please for the love of God play defense from the inside out. When we've lost we've been beaten because we're scrambling to get to our teammates help. Bring back more of the pack line principles we ran 2 years ago. Defend the perimeter and press up, but make guys know they have help if they get beat... if you play outside-inside you'll get crushed by lesser opponents...

6. If ya miss a shot get your ass back in transition. 974 transition needs a ton of focus because we've given up bad opportunities that hurt us a ton Saturday and last Tuesday. Danny has always said his teammates will eventually crush it transition defensively, but we haven't gotten there... really hoping that these things happen tomorrow, but either way I'll never give up on Danny, this staff, this team or this program. #GoRhody
6 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Changes that should happen... to be successful from this guys couch!

Unread post by reef »

If KI has another bad game I would consider starting Akele
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This was a very insightful and smart post, pragmatic, not emotional nor delusional. No wonder why there is only 1 reply.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:This was a very insightful and smart post, pragmatic, not emotional nor delusional. No wonder why there is only 1 reply.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Definitely not enough conspiracy theories or outrage to gain any traction around here.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BAR,
I thought the same thing when I read it. Don't know why I didn't reply , maybe because the hour was late, maybe because I found myself in awe of the poster's knowledge and imtimidated, maybe because some of the stuff he was writing I felt I was not at his level to question or discuss (that's a compliment)..............but great stuff

Maybe we have found our X's and O's guy for the bench
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Kuran is a pretty significant soft spot on both sides of the floor, his position is the missing link to winning, the thorn in this teams ass to losing. Should I start a Berry chant?!
0 x
GO RAMS
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
2. Let EC work off the ball more, get Jared the ball late when a shot is needed and look to move the ball faster. When we moved the ball quickly against Cincy we got complete open looks.
Strongly agree.

I would add an unpopular #7 to that list. And give more minutes to CT and SR at the expense of JG. I think it helps with your #2 by moving Terrell to the point and helps big time on defense. The length and quickness of CT and SR will have a bigger impact on defense than JG will have on offense.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

URI2006_Andy wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
Strongly agree.

I would add an unpopular #7 to that list. And give more minutes to CT and SR at the expense of JG. I think it helps with your #2 by moving Terrell to the point and helps big time on defense. The length and quickness of CT and SR will have a bigger impact on defense than JG will have on offense.
Isn't our biggest issue the offense right now though? I hear what you're saying about the impact on defense, but I feel like our offense might stall even more without Garrett on the floor.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I love how people take shots at Jarvis Garrett, completely
forgetting how he stepped up last year.
Guy is tough as nails, wore a mask and couldn't breath right.
Yet, he never missed a beat.
He's our floor general, win lose or draw.
Terrell at point? Only when you don't want his off the ball
movement to get himself free.
He can do it in spots, but I doubt he could do it full time,
and not have part of his game suffer.
He ain't broke. Don't try fixing something that's
not broken.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I really dont think playing Garrett less is the answer to anything.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea Garrett has been pretty meh so far, not at Hassan and Terrell's level, but not as low as EC or Kuran either.
0 x
Go Rhody
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

I love Garrett's grit and he would still be a guy who I would play in my rotation but replacing him with a bigger guard puts a lot of pressure on opposing team's guards. This helps out our offense too because their pg will have to expend energy trying to the run the offense with a guy like CT bothering him all game and helps JT conserve energy on defense being able to defend the weaker of a team's guards. Plus transition may be easier off of a better defense. Its a gamble but I think it's worth taking considering our best half in he Hurley era came with Terrell running the point.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We'll agree to strongly disagree.
I think Jarvis was the best player on last years team.
You don't shitcan a guy who can shoot the ball and create, because
you want a defensive guy like Stan, who can't hit the ocean with a beachball.
Other teams have to worry about Garrett on offense.
Stan would be like playing 5 on 4 for their defense.
This team needs points.
Focusing on one half of basketball while not seeing the
big picture doesn't cut it.
3 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Maybe Garrett should bring the mask back out...

I think if any of our guards should get their minutes cut back it's EC. I realize it could destroy his confidence but at this point he's playing so poorly how long does Hurley wait expecting him to be back to "normal"? Bringing him off the bench might even help his game and benefit the team more.

I personally would like to see a combination of Stan, Jarvis, and Terrell. Have Stan guard whoever Terrell would guard on defense and allow Terrell to focus more on offense. Even though Stan isn't a great outside threat you still have Jarvis and Terrell who proved last year that they're better shooters than EC. Also with those three you have three guys who could all potentially run the point which you don't have with EC or CT.
1 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

josephski wrote:Maybe Garrett should bring the mask back out...

I think if any of our guards should get their minutes cut back it's EC. I realize it could destroy his confidence but at this point he's playing so poorly how long does Hurley wait expecting him to be back to "normal"? Bringing him off the bench might even help his game and benefit the team more.

I personally would like to see a combination of Stan, Jarvis, and Terrell. Have Stan guard whoever Terrell would guard on defense and allow Terrell to focus more on offense. Even though Stan isn't a great outside threat you still have Jarvis and Terrell who proved last year that they're better shooters than EC. Also with those three you have three guys who could all potentially run the point which you don't have with EC or CT.
I strongly agree with what you're proposing, but I don't think Hurley has the guts to bring EC off the bench. Anybody with two eyes and half a brain can tell you that EC is not nearly the same player he was two years ago, but Hurley seems determined to get his confidence back however he can which is evidenced by the amount of minutes he's (undeservedly) playing him, and the fact he's always the go-to guy for any last second shot as opposed to JT or JG. It's a troubling situation for sure. The assumption was that EC would be giving us a lot more offensively, but that's sadly not the case and Hurley has failed to adjust.

I also agree with Rod in that Garrett should NOT have his playing time cut. He may not be contributing as much on offense as he did last season, but he's still an above average PG with good defensive skills, and he's certainly not the reason this team is playing so poorly. I'm looking at you, EC and Iverson.
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

EC has played awful. But he's a much better player than Garrett. Garrett is a nice pg but we're trying to make the NCAAs. And Cartwright made Garrett look like a CBI pg.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

NJRhodyFan wrote:
josephski wrote:Maybe Garrett should bring the mask back out...

I strongly agree with what you're proposing, but I don't think Hurley has the guts to bring EC off the bench. Anybody with two eyes and half a brain can tell you that EC is not nearly the same player he was two years ago, but Hurley seems determined to get his confidence back however he can which is evidenced by the amount of minutes he's (undeservedly) playing him, and the fact he's always the go-to guy for any last second shot as opposed to JT or JG. It's a troubling situation for sure. The assumption was that EC would be giving us a lot more offensively, but that's sadly not the case and Hurley has failed to adjust.

I also agree with Rod in that Garrett should NOT have his playing time cut. He may not be contributing as much on offense as he did last season, but he's still an above average PG with good defensive skills, and he's certainly not the reason this team is playing so poorly. I'm looking at you, EC and Iverson.
Agreed. Unfortunately Hurley is in a tough spot and I get the feeling that Hurley feels like he owes it to EC to continue playing him. I think it's unlikely we see any change with Iverson or EC's minutes but it's still something worth discussing.

Andy, Garrett arguably outplayed Dunn last year in the PC game and we all know how good Dunn is/was. He might not be playing as well as he was last season but I have more confidence in Garrett to turn his season around than I do in EC.
2 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Most of you seem to always amazing me that you can take a post that makes sense, minus a few spelling errors, and then ruin it with off base, unintelligent posts about cutting back EC or Jarvis' minutes. First off EC Matthews could've laughed at us way back when and said thanks but no thanks when we were recruiting him. We need to stay the course, maybe give him more rest opportunities, !75 you don't bench a guy. He needs to know that he has the head coach, assistant coaches, students, teammates, -!; fans support while he battles whatever is truthfully bothering him which isn't his knee.

Roll back Jarvis Garrett's minutes because he didn't have a career day when Kyron Cartwright did? Jesus you people scare me... The amount of idiotic ideas on this blog are mindboogling!

Oh and Hass is going to get banged up, it's time to give our young bigs some more minutes.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Our best starting 5 includes Jarvis Garrett no matter what. He is our best facilitator and a threat from the outside. Only issue with SR is he is not a scoring threat still agree he needs more time but not at expense of JG.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

People also forget what he did last year vs Dunn. Judging him on Cartwright hitting lightning in a bottle for 3 minutes is unfair and short sighted.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I didn't reply initially because I had nothing to add, really. I starred the shit out of it, though. Great post.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:This was a very insightful and smart post, pragmatic, not emotional nor delusional. No wonder why there is only 1 reply.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Definitely not enough conspiracy theories or outrage to gain any traction around here.
Plus, it's fairly reasonable, without any serious ridicule of other posters...doesn't really stand much of a chance... yaaaawnnn.....
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Plus, it's fairly reasonable, without any serious ridicule of other posters...doesn't really stand much of a chance... yaaaawnnn.....
Plus no Hurley / Baron comparisons................... :roll: :roll: :roll: and no toilets..........yet :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

NorthernRamFan wrote:Most of you seem to always amazing me that you can take a post that makes sense, minus a few spelling errors, and then ruin it with off base, unintelligent posts about cutting back EC or Jarvis' minutes. First off EC Matthews could've laughed at us way back when and said thanks but no thanks when we were recruiting him. We need to stay the course, maybe give him more rest opportunities, !75 you don't bench a guy. He needs to know that he has the head coach, assistant coaches, students, teammates, -!; fans support while he battles whatever is truthfully bothering him which isn't his knee.

Roll back Jarvis Garrett's minutes because he didn't have a career day when Kyron Cartwright did? Jesus you people scare me... The amount of idiotic ideas on this blog are mindboogling!

Oh and Hass is going to get banged up, it's time to give our young bigs some more minutes.
Right...so we keep playing EC 30+ minutes a game because he decided to come here rather than go to another school? That's pretty awful logic. You think EC would even be playing had he gone to a school like Arizona?

I don't get the obsession with EC. He's never been a very good shooter and ironically his best strength is scoring. He generally needs to take a ton of shots against good teams to get his points and he also turns the ball over a ton. One of the least efficient players on this team.
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

NorthernRamFan wrote:Most of you seem to always amazing me that you can take a post that makes sense, minus a few spelling errors, and then ruin it with off base, unintelligent posts about cutting back EC or Jarvis' minutes. First off EC Matthews could've laughed at us way back when and said thanks but no thanks when we were recruiting him. We need to stay the course, maybe give him more rest opportunities, !75 you don't bench a guy. He needs to know that he has the head coach, assistant coaches, students, teammates, -!; fans support while he battles whatever is truthfully bothering him which isn't his knee.

I don't think it adds to the message board calling other people's opinions idiotic. We may disagree but the whole point of the board is to share opinions. I gave my rationale for why I think Garrett's minutes should be cut.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

URI2006_Andy wrote:

I don't think it adds to the message board calling other people's opinions idiotic. We may disagree but the whole point of the board is to share opinions. I gave my rationale for why I think Garrett's minutes should be cut.
* unless it's Kevin McNamara's opinion
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd have to go back and look at the tape, but I'm pretty sure Thompson was on Cartwright for at least a couple of those threes.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You guys trashing Garrett vs. PC,
do realize he outscored Cartwright 8-2 in the second half.
He played well and recovered from the bad first half.
Also, IS EC a better player than Garrett?
Plays no defense, can't pass at all, and is a
turnover machine.
He used to score more, because he took the most shots.
Everyone we've ever recruited could have told us to take a hike,
and go elsewhere. Not a relevant issue,
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

URI2006_Andy wrote:
URI2006_Andy wrote:

* unless it's Kevin McNamara's opinion
**or, if it's done with gusto, expletives and pictures ;)
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

NorthernRamFan wrote:1. Balance out Iverson and Akele's minutes completely with Nicola finishing games. This should light a fire under Kuran's tail, if it doesn't then we have bigger issues.✔️

3. Bring back the Hurley diamond and horn sets. Years 1-3 we ran sets that worked because each had more than one option, the high/side ballscreen is too easy to defend when that's all your running. We have weapons, we need to run an offense that has more than one option heough the play.

4. More offensively focused, work the high low if your not going to take Kuran off the floor and make Kuran work with Hassan to get "warfare" baskets. Bruise the opponents bigs legally and work the ball inside early.

5. Please for the love of God play defense from the inside out. When we've lost we've been beaten because we're scrambling to get to our teammates help. Bring back more of the pack line principles we ran 2 years ago. Defend the perimeter and press up, but make guys know they have help if they get beat... if you play outside-inside you'll get crushed by lesser opponents...✔️

6. If ya miss a shot get your ass back in transition. 974 transition needs a ton of focus because we've given up bad opportunities that hurt us a ton Saturday and last Tuesday. Danny has always said his teammates will eventually crush it transition defensively, but we haven't gotten there... really hoping that these things happen tomorrow, but either way I'll never give up on Danny, this staff, this team or this program. #GoRhody
✔️

We're getting there people!
#GoRhody #BeatHouston
1 x