Week #5 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Re: Week #5 - Games of Interest

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote:
josephski wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Wait...other ranked teams lost games!? To unranked teams they were better than!?

FIRE THEIR COACHES! BURN THE PROGRAMS!! THEIR SEASONS ARE OVER PACK IT IN!!!!!
The two coaches of those programs have a combined 8 NCAA tournament appearances in 12 combined seasons as head coaches. Hurley has 0 NCAA tournaments in 6 seasons as a head coach.
Yes and both of those coaches stepped into prime coaching jobs that were already established as perennial sweet 16 teams. For YEARS. Both previous coaches (2 previous coaches in Xavier's case) left for bigger and better things, so neither coach even came close to having to resurrect a dead program and fan base.

Let me know if either of them could have stepped into the situation Hurley did and performed any better, or not high tailed it out of here when a P5 program came calling.
Brandon Miller left Butler because he requested a medical leave of absence and hasn't coached since. I wouldn't exactly call that bigger and better things. Either way both Mack and Holtmann took the path of being assistant coaches and waiting for a coaching spot to open up rather than looking to become a head coach right away. Holtmann got a bit lucky in the sense that he joined Butler and then all of a sudden Miller left and he got the interim job. Guys like Will Wade and Archie Miller in the a10 took the same type of path. Spent years as an assistant coach and then worked their way into a head coaching job. Obviously I can't say how well they would have done in a situation like ours but I think they're currently better coaches due to the path they took.

Hurley decided to go right for head coaching which probably hurt his overall growth as a coach. He did spend four years at Rutgers under Kevin Bannon but that was prior to his time at St Benedicts and Rutgers was not a great program when he was there. That's why I'm still not sold on Hurley. Can Hurley still continue to grow? Sure but I think he would have progressed as a coach quicker if he spent more time as an assistant under a proven head coach.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The A-10 went 2-2 in Wednesday action and considering the high quality of the opposition that was not so bad. VCU had a tough loss to Georgia Tech on its homecourt, never a good thing and Davidson buoyed by Jake Gibbs 30 points. was pesky in its loss at UNC.

The downer of the evening was Valparaiso getting blown out at Kentucky, 87-63. Never helps to let a team go off on a 21-0 run early in the game.

Slim action on Thursday with the only two games being in the A-10:

Fordham at St. John's. 6:30 PM. On FS1.

Pacific at UMass. 7 PM.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote:The A-10 went 2-2 in Wednesday action and considering the high quality of the opposition that was not so bad. VCU had a tough loss to Georgia Tech on its homecourt, never a good thing and Davidson buoyed by Jake Gibbs 30 points. was pesky in its loss at UNC.

The downer of the evening was Valparaiso getting blown out at Kentucky, 87-63. Never helps to let a team go off on a 21-0 run early in the game.

Pacific at UMass. 7 PM.
Thinking this is one of, if not the, most useful part of this board. Thanks for doing it. It's my regular source for 'what to watch'. Davidson really was pesky, was a decent game to watch.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Can you imagine if this happened to our team?
As reef would say "say it ain't so Tim O'Shea

And this after last weeks debacle when the Bryant guy celebrated and threw the ball up in the air and Bryant lost by 1 point. Bryant should have been working to get a shot

http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/mb ... 1206z797es
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Fordham is getting blasted by a bad St. Johns team......
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a game that was only close for a brief moment in the first half, Fordham got creamed by St. John's, 90-62.

Also UMass beat Pacific, 72-48 in the first game of the Gotham Classic. Now this is a strange tournament - five teams play each other in campus games and this year none of the games are being held in Gotham's MSG. The tournament field is comprised of UMass, Rider, Pacific NC A&T, and Kennesaw State and UMass gets to play all four games at home. Wow, talk about quality. They couldn't get the Little Sisters of the Poor?? So we have to hand it to URI Athletics for getting us the HOF. We may have had to play Marist and Brown at Ryan, but at least we got Cincy and Duke at Mohegan.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:The A-10 went 2-2 in Wednesday action and considering the high quality of the opposition that was not so bad. VCU had a tough loss to Georgia Tech on its homecourt, never a good thing and Davidson buoyed by Jake Gibbs 30 points. was pesky in its loss at UNC.

Pacific at UMass. 7 PM.
Thinking this is one of, if not the, most useful part of this board. Thanks for doing it. It's my regular source for 'what to watch'. Davidson really was pesky, was a decent game to watch.
But...since tonight's selection was so skinny...went with 2Fast 2Furious (DVR'd from the weekend)...I am not at all a movies guy. I rarely watch anything on TV that isn't sports...but...happened to catch one of them a few weeks ago in a 'channel-flippin, nothin' on moment'...and was hooked.... F&F8, coming in April :o
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Raiders-Chiefs for me.
Iowa State-Iowa was the alternative, but it turned into
a lopsided game for Iowa.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Crap! I forgot they were on...I LOVE the Rai-duhs this year....Fortunately...it's the NFL and you can watch a movie when the game starts, flip over to the game afterwards, and still have plenty to watch... Thanks for the heads up!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Raiders have been fun.
Derek Carr is the real deal.
They were down 20-3.
They are within striking distance now.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Derek Carr is the real deal, but hasn't been tonight. Much to the dismay of my fantasy team.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Still a quarter left!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Hoping for the Pats' sake that KC holds on and wins. If Oaklland loses,.they drop from the one seed to the fifth. It's going to be a wild end of the season.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

yep...as a "guy who has to have Eli on his fantasy team" guy can say...sometimes doesn't take long to whip up a couple TDs after a mediocre 50 minutes and make things 'ok'...although, in just the few minutes I've been watching...their passing game seems kind of out of sorts. Too cold, maybe...?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:yep...as a "guy who has to have Eli on his fantasy team" guy can say...sometimes doesn't take long to whip up a couple TDs after a mediocre 50 minutes and make things 'ok'...although, in just the few minutes I've been watching...their passing game seems kind of out of sorts. Too cold, maybe...?
Oakland is missing some o linemen.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Their best O lineman is out, so running is a problem.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

KC is the hardest place to play in the league for visiting teams for some reason. Unfortunately I was kind of expecting this, but didn't have any options on the waiver wire and wasn't going to bench my guy I rode all year to take a chance on with RGIII in a win or go home game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Pacific at UMass. 7 PM.
Agree 208, most useful part of the board, tends to stay fact based, less emotional 8-) 8-) 8-)

Here is why College Basketball is so Great........better than College Football and lots of other sports........just last night for example is so interesting:

Games involving Top 25 Teams - 2 Games - 2 Upsets with one a Massive Upset
- Iowa was +7 underdog to #25 Ranked Iowa State, playing on their home court. Not only did Iowa cover but they beat Iowa State convincingly 78-64!!!
- #12 St Mary's was -14 1/2 point favorite over University of Texas Arlington playing on St Mary's home court . UTA won convincingly 65-51!!
This was UTA's first win over a AP Ranked team EVER. Their first game against a ranked team was 1967 - 49 years ago. UTA had gone 0-28 against ranked teams over those 49 years.
In a related story, St Mary's fired their Coach this morning - Just kidding Blueman :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In other games:
St John's crushed Fordham 90-62. Amazing performance by Freshman Point Guard Shamarie Ponds with 7-11 on 3 pointers, 7 rebounds, 9 assists, 4 steals for 26 points. Unbelievable. Ponds, a left handed PG, narrowed his Top 4 choices to St Johns's, Creighton, Providence and Minnesota. Creighton and PC have to watch and play against the one that got away to a team in their own conference. PC was very close to getting Ponds, very close. But ultimately Ponds playing in front of family was a high priority for him. His family had to love watching that performance to local Fordham.

Middle Tennessee was favored by 3 points at home vs SEC Vanderbilt. Middle Tennessee won 71-48. Amazing that they beat Vandy by 23 points. This is the 3rd straight win over an SEC team for Middle Tennessee going back to last season too. Middle Tennessee has the best record among Conference USA's 14 teams to date with 9-1.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, just think how much BETTER all of this would be...if we were really good!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not much action at all on Friday, only D3 Emerson plays at Brown.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

IT-less C's v Raptors kinda nite
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Obadiah wrote:Not much action at all on Friday, only D3 Emerson plays at Brown.
Bruno's got JWU tomorrow too. Jesus talk about unambitious scheduling I literally didn't even know you were allowed multiple D3 cupcakes in a single season. Their hockey is a dumpster fire too, and their football lost to URI which is instant membership to the burning garbage club, what's going on over there?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Puck Frovidence wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Not much action at all on Friday, only D3 Emerson plays at Brown.
Bruno's got JWU tomorrow too. Jesus talk about unambitious scheduling I literally didn't even know you were allowed multiple D3 cupcakes in a single season. Their hockey is a dumpster fire too, and their football lost to URI which is instant membership to the burning garbage club, what's going on over there?
Isn't Scott Corsdisci the AD over there now or something? Lol
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

TruePoint wrote:Isn't Scott Corsdisci the AD over there now or something? Lol

Hahahaha well then at least we know Emerson and JWU are getting paid for what's going to happen to them at Brown...
Last edited by Puck Frovidence 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They are shooting for the stars with that schedule......
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

BC follows up their loss to Harvard by losing at home tonight to 2-8 Hartford 65-63. Game attendance 2,274.

Jim Christian is in way over his head and it's only getting worse, BC should have never fired Skinner.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

BC is a constant reminder things could always be worse....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What a joke BC has become in football and hoops

Too bad I do like Jimmy Christian
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......gonna try to look in on UMess at the Dump today....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Just saw the Raider talk here. Huge Raider fan here. Marv Hubbard, Lamonica, Wells, Branch, Chester,Sistrunk, Villipiano, Davidson. The good old decades. After what the Raiders have been though the last many years I'm praying we don't somehow lose the next 3.

GO RHODY!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

brady1 wrote:Just saw the Raider talk here. Huge Raider fan here. Marv Hubbard, Lamonica, Wells, Branch, Chester,Sistrunk, Villipiano, Davidson. The good old decades. After what the Raiders have been though the last many years I'm praying we don't somehow lose the next 3.

GO RHODY!
Nice thing about the Raiders is...we're about the same age...and there's...Stabler, Casper, Guy, Gault (for a bit), Gruden, Madden, Dreith, and of course...Bo.... Good luck, Raider - my 2nd favorite team this year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Raiders are good, but it's not their time yet, too many holes on defense......
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Lots of action on Saturday. Besides URI at Houston. 1:30 PM. On ESPNU, other A-10 games are:

UMass at Providence. 12 PM. On FS1.

East Tennessee State at Dayton. 2 PM.

Central Connecticut at Duquesne. 2 PM.

George Mason at Penn. 2 PM. On ESPN3.

La Salle at Georgetown. 2 PM. On ESPN2.

Howard at GW. 4 PM.

UNC-Wilmington at St. Bonaventure. 6 PM.

Fordham at Manhattan. 7 PM.

UMBC at Richmond. 7:30 PM.

VCU at Old Dominion. 8 PM.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Jacksonville at Marist. 1 PM.

Maine at Dartmouth. 2 PM.

Cincinnati at Butler. 4:30 PM. On FS1.

Duke at UNLV. 5:15 PM. On ESPN.

Johnson & Wales (RI) at Brown. 7 PM.

Valparaiso at Missouri State. 8 PM. On ESPN3.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The VCU and Cincy games are interesting.....PC will beat UMass......
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Yep need both those teams to win Bone.

Probably better for pcflyers to lose to zoomass and we beat zoomass twice.

GO RHODY!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:The VCU and Cincy games are interesting.....PC will beat UMass......
Cincy seems to have shaken off that Rhody loss pretty well?
I think VCU and PC win handily....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah,
I feel badly correcting you because you are amazing, but

LaSalle is on a neutral court with Georgetown......American Airlines Arena in Miami in the Hoophall Miami Invitational. LaSalle could be a surprise team in the A10 with some excellent transfers playing wells. Excellent HC at LaSalle. Good opportunity for an A10 vs BE victory.

Her are some games I'm watching out of curiosity even though not related to URI:
Villanova - Notre Dame @Prudential Center. Both teams 9-0
Utah (6-1) @ Xavier (7-2) Xavier favored by 11 1/2 but I can see Utah with an upset here
UCONN at Ohio State. OSU favored by 8 1/2. Can UCONN turn around their bad start of (4-4) to date? Kevin Ollie's seat getting hotter?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:So we have to hand it to URI Athletics for getting us the HOF. We may have had to play Marist and Brown at Ryan, but at least we got Cincy and Duke at Mohegan.

The HOF Tournament typically does not get big crowds at the Mohegan Sun Arena. Sellouts for the two days as was the case this past year are far from the norm. Even Kentucky a few years back could attract a big crowd. The recent tournaments that included PC and URI were the best attended in the tournaments history at the casino. I would expect both teams to be regular participants every 4-5 years given their local draw. URI has been in twice already under Hurley.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks for the catch, ramster.

Also, RF1 makes a good observation about the importance of games involving URI and PC held at Mohegan Sun's arena. As long as attractive opponents can be lined up, even non tournament games can be a draw. I remember that in early January of 2010, URI played Oklahoma State there and drew a crowd of 7111 which was the biggest attendance at college basketball game up to that point. This type of scheduling may be another way in which we get to play P5 teams in a quasi home and home series. We played Oklahoma State the previous year not in Stillwater, but in Oklahoma City.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This Umass PC game is giving me anxiety. URI's 2 natural rivalries. Our last game against both we lost.

Umass looks like they have an identity.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:This Umass PC game is giving me anxiety. URI's 2 natural rivalries. Our last game against both we lost.

Umass looks like they have an identity.
Umass looks pretty fun to watch in this game so far. Letting threes fly all over. Rooting for them over PC
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....to me UMess doesn't look like an 8th place A-10 team....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

section(105) wrote:.....to me UMess doesn't look like an 8th place A-10 team....
Just thinking the same thing. They are going to be tough to beat.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....their Holloway will give us trouble......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Holloway looks like a different player than last year.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Captainron@ wrote:Holloway looks like a different player than last year.
Exactly......even with Hass at 100%, I think he presents match up problems....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

George Mason!!!
4 point underdogs, playing at Pennsylvania and they win by 19 to go to 8-3
Marquise Moore with a triple double 16 rebounds, 10 assists and 17 points playing 39 minutes
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a hostile environment, VCU behind most of the first half comes back to defeat Old Dominion, 67-64.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

On Saturday, the A-10 went 6-4, but this was only so-so given that most of the wins came against weak opposition and many of the losses came against high RPI teams. The most noteworthy win was VCU getting a big road at intrastate rival ODU before a sellout crowd.

Among OOC opponents, Duke romped over UNLV, 94-45. This game was never in doubt.

Also, despite home court advantage and a half time lead, Dartmouth absorbed its 8th straight loss to remain winless, falling to Maine, 73-60.

Brown in a ho hum win over Johnson and Wales.

Valparaiso came from behind to secure a nice road win over Missouri State, 84-81.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Only two A-10 games on Sunday:

Chicago State visits Saint Louis. 3PM.

Saint Joseph's at Drexel. 6 PM.

In OOC Action:

In a game just completed Holy Cross on the strength of a second half surge easily beat Quinnipiac, 75-57.

In other games:

At the Barclay's Center as part of the Brooklyn Hoops Winter Festival, LIU-Brooklyn edged St. John's. 74-73. Just a few days go, St. John's had cruised over the A-10 punching bag, Fordham and so the LIU win provides further evidence that the A-10 will struggle to get more than 2 teams in the NCAA this season.
0 x