Stop the madness!!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Stop the madness!!!

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

:evil: So we've gotten to the point that people are questioning whether or not Dan is the right guy to be our coach? Are you f***ing kidding me? Losing to PC without a doubt sucks, but you really want to question whether or not this is the right guy to be our program'S leader? Come off of it.

We as a fanbase need to realize that if not for Danny, Thor, & Pres Dooley we'd be Duequesne... Dan has done an amazing job with a program that was 3 seconds from being a literal dumpster fire...Why don't we stop comparing our program to PC's and start realizing that the game against Providence means so very little besides the pain of losing. So it sucks to hear family and friends break our balls, get over it and grow tougher skin. You think Carolina cries when Duke beats them or Louisville cries when UK rolls them? Let's be adults and move on. Criticizing Dan is one thing, but saying you don't think gets the guy for the job is idiotic.
Last edited by NorthernRamFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Re: Stop the madness!!!

Unread post by josephski »

Why? We took a guy who only had two previous years of head coaching experience in a crap conference and a great name in the basketball world. His father built his name coaching high school basketball, not college.

People on this board love to knock guys like Travis Ford or Rick Barnes for being guys who can recruit but not coach. That's the trend I'm seeing with Hurley and his recruiting isn't even on those guys level. He'll get better than average a10 players but will have trouble meeting/exceeding expectations with those players.

Also I'm tired of hearing how close we were to being Duquesne. That's bullshit. Duquesne basically plays in a high school gym and I'm sure their other facilities aren't as nice as ours.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't mind DH as our coach like him a lot more than CFL, that being said if he goes to take on another program I won't be too upset at all and feel we can hire a decent replacement
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Another, "We're not worthy to have a good program! You'll get nothing and like it!"
Carolina does cry when they lose to Duke, and vice-versa. As do Kentucky and
Louisville.
Ohio State football has a clock that counts the minutes until the next game with
Michigan.
People have been killed in the Auburn-Alabama football rivalry.
These are rivalries, not Little League where everyone plays and everyone gets a trophy.
So, we're not supposed to be pissed off at a coach who has yet to beat PC?
A coach who hypes every team but his first, yet can;t win the close ones against
good team.
Yes, we beat Cincy. Not exactly like beating Duke, who
we shit the bed against a depleated squad. That final score
was decieving, to say the least.
It's a higher level of mediocrity, that seems to be the case, today.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This was supposed to be the season. So far, it's not looking like it.

Some of us kind of knew that things weren't going to be that different...we have the same coach that doesn't have a clue in late game situations, and it shows on the court....

Some of our players are overhyped....that is showing on the court too....

Next year really doesn't look any better either......Fatts is a player it looks like which is great...add him to JT and we have a very good backcourt...and not much else it looks like....JG? What's up with him? Our new bigs? Who knows, they don't play...and they will have to starting next season....

And on and on it goes......
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

FYI my goal(s) for the season are singular: Make the NCAA tournament.

The "would be nice" category has things like beat PC, win the A10, but I (and I assume a lot of people) really just want to watch basketball into late March that has my team in it.

This goal is still in tact. We have a marquee win that will hold up. We do not have any bad losses.

I didn't think we were going undefeated, but I did think we'd win these games. Yes it hurts emotionally, but NRF is right and in the grand scheme of the NCAA birth goal, it's just us dealing with ball busting.

NCAA is the goal. If beating PC was the most important goal for anyone this season, you are too small minded and your goals for this program suck. Think outside the state for once.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Same with me. NCAA is the Goal and always has been for this year.

I have other goals that lend themselves towards making that Primary goal but that is it.

These early losses may turn out to be helpful in achieving the NCAA Goal - showing weaknesses in players, coaching, team play, passing, defense, etc.

The Conference 18 Game schedule is the key.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That's what St. Bonaventure thought last season...see where that got them.....

One good win against Cincy is not enough in the OOC.....the next 2 have to happen....or else we have to likely win the A10 tourney...sure......
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote:FYI my goal(s) for the season are singular: Make the NCAA tournament.

The "would be nice" category has things like beat PC, win the A10, but I (and I assume a lot of people) really just want to watch basketball into late March that has my team in it.

This goal is still in tact. We have a marquee win that will hold up. We do not have any bad losses.

I didn't think we were going undefeated, but I did think we'd win these games. Yes it hurts emotionally, but NRF is right and in the grand scheme of the NCAA birth goal, it's just us dealing with ball busting.

NCAA is the goal. If beating PC was the most important goal for anyone this season, you are too small minded and your goals for this program suck. Think outside the state for once.
So what were you're expectations going into the season with the team we have? Last 4 in? A 7 seed or better?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote:That's what St. Bonaventure thought last season...see where that got them.....

One good win against Cincy is not enough in the OOC.....the next 2 have to happen....or else we have to likely win the A10 tourney...sure......
Ummm...who did St Bonnies beat OOC? Mighty Buffalo? They clocked in at #91. Beat up on #81 Ohio. That's a good one. In fact those were their best 2 OOC wins. You know how many top 25 teams they played OOC? 0. You know how many top 50 teams they played OOC? 0.

The team that people said supposedly didn't deserve to be in the NCAA tourney over the bonnies? Syracuse? They beat the bonnies by 13. Then also went to the final four.

I can tell you who they lost to OOC. #102 Siena. #54 Hofstra.

They had a #70 non-conf SOS, an overall SOS of 86. They ask 2 basic questions on selection sunday: who'd you beat and who'd you lose to?

Bonnies beat St Joes and Dayton, good top 25 conference wins. They lost to Dayton and VCU. Tough conference games. I'd compare them to ours, but WE HAVEN'T PLAYED OUR CONFERENCE GAMES YET.

But lets compare the OOC:

0-0 vs 1-25 0-0 vs 26-50 2-3 vs 51-100. 1-1 vs 101-200. 5-0 vs 200+. #70 SOS. That's not an NCAA resume. Go and play/beat someone outside your conference.

1-1 vs 1-25 0-1 vs 1-50 ...ours already looks better. Just in case you were wondering...OUR OOC ISN'T OVER YET. One marquee win against Cinci with no bad losses and very few shitty OOC games. Still more chances to get a couple more top 100 and 50 wins. Right now we have the #37 OOC SOS. It will change, but not significant.

This board is getting dumber by the minute. Now we're last years St Bonaventure 8 games into our OOC, even though we already have a top 25 win, with another top 25 and top 50 figuring into our RPI. Got it.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

josephski wrote:
Blue Man wrote:FYI my goal(s) for the season are singular: Make the NCAA tournament.

So what were you're expectations going into the season with the team we have? Last 4 in? A 7 seed or better?
In. Just get in. Who the fuck cares our seed?
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Everybody needs to relax, we'll be ok. It's one game or two games in a 30 game schedule.

The only thing I continue to worry about and knew it wouldn't change even with our new found depth was when the stakes rise Dan's seems to tense up and not sub as much. You can't play an intense defensive and high transition type of brand of basketball with 3-4 playing near 40 minutes a night. You need to allow some of the role players to play through mistakes which will pay off later on in the season. I hope this changes but I'm not so sure that it will.

I still love him as our coach and am excited for what is to come this year. No coach is perfect..
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

CT Rhody wrote:Everybody needs to relax, we'll be ok. It's one game or two games in a 30 game schedule.

The only thing I continue to worry about and knew it wouldn't change even with our new found depth was when the stakes rise Dan's seems to tense up and not sub as much. You can't play an intense defensive and high transition type of brand of basketball with 3-4 playing near 40 minutes a night. You need to allow some of the role players to play through mistakes which will pay off later on in the season. I hope this changes but I'm not so sure that it will.

I still love him as our coach and am excited for what is to come this year. No coach is perfect..
But we're not playing that style.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote:
josephski wrote:

In. Just get in. Who the fuck cares our seed?
It's a benchmark. I said it at the beginning of the season and I feel the same way which is that this team has enough talent that they should end up a 7 seed or higher and win one tournament game. Although the winning one tournament game is obviously more important than a high seed.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NCAA - JUST GET IN
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just please make the tournament. I don't care how it happens.
2 x
Go Rhody
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

For anyone who works overnight or has no work tomorrow the Rhody/Cincy game is fully available on YouTube just search for NCAA basketball. Cincinnati Bearcats-Rhode Island Rams 19.11.16

I think this may help y'all come back to real life...
#GoRhody #InHurleyITrust
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Out of curiosity, those of you who are saying just get into the tournament, is that based on what you've seen so far this season? Or coming into this year did you think for Hurley to meet expectations for this year specifically he just needed to get into the tournament even if it meant as an 11 seed (last four in)? And anything better than an 11 seed is exceeding expectations?
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

I think baby steps are more helpful than giant leaps. This team is going to be fine. It'll be amazing tomorrow at this time how many people will have changed their tunes... win the A10, clinch a tourney spot, and then hopefully we peak during March. We're far from our peak!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

How does one go from having almost 20 years of no NCAA to caring/being disappointed depending on the number next to their name in march?
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
josephski
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote:How does one go from having almost 20 years of no NCAA to caring/being disappointed depending on the number next to their name in march?
The number next to our name is directly related to our record. I think that's pretty obvious. Disappointed is probably the wrong word to use but this roster is more talented than whatever record we'll have if we end up an 11 seed. That's my point. My expectations are tied to the talent we have on the team this year, not what has happened in the past.

Go back and look at the prediction thread. The majority of people here predicted records that most likely would have been around a 6-7 seed. Now those same people are saying just getting in is good enough because they don't want to say Hurley didn't meet expectations this season.

Maybe my expectations are too high but it's kind of frustrating to see fans settling for "good enough" rather than expecting what this team should be capable of.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We just got to get in the dance by any means possible. Get that monkey off DH back
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
Blue Man wrote:How does one go from having almost 20 years of no NCAA to caring/being disappointed depending on the number next to their name in march?
The number next to our name is directly related to our record. I think that's pretty obvious. Disappointed is probably the wrong word to use but this roster is more talented than whatever record we'll have if we end up an 11 seed. That's my point. My expectations are tied to the talent we have on the team this year, not what has happened in the past.

Go back and look at the prediction thread. The majority of people here predicted records that most likely would have been around a 6-7 seed. Now those same people are saying just getting in is good enough because they don't want to say Hurley didn't meet expectations this season.

Maybe my expectations are too high but it's kind of frustrating to see fans settling for "good enough" rather than expecting what this team should be capable of.
Based on what you have seen that past few games are your expectations the same? Are they still to achieve what you said in the preseason poll? Mine are not. The voters for the Polls have changed their expectations. UCONN has gone from #18 to far from the Top 25.

I predicted 3 losses. Do you think my expectations have changed? Of course they have. My expectations have certainly not changed because of your comment: "Now those same people are saying just getting in is good enough because they don't want to say Hurley didn't meet expectations this season."
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Does the seeding actually matter? Like you'll be disappointed if we're an 11 vs a 7? Holy shit realistic people can't win here. Does a win in March feel less good because you didn't have the number you wanted?

Get there. Maybe win a game. Holy shit with the amount of stipulations people put on success here...how do you stay happy in your lives?
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:Does the seeding actually matter? Like you'll be disappointed if we're an 11 vs a 7? Holy shit realistic people can't win here. Does a win in March feel less good because you didn't have the number you wanted?

Get there. Maybe win a game. Holy shit with the amount of stipulations people put on success here...how do you stay happy in your lives?
Sounds like by posting here. :lol: :lol:

KMAC said URI Players and Coaches should stay off "the mindless message boards" after the PC loss. Might be good advice for all of us. This is insanity.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:
josephski wrote:

Based on what you have seen that past few games are your expectations the same? Are they still to achieve what you said in the preseason poll? Mine are not. The voters for the Polls have changed their expectations. UCONN has gone from #18 to far from the Top 25.

I predicted 3 losses. Do you think my expectations have changed? Of course they have. My expectations have certainly not changed because of your comment: "Now those same people are saying just getting in is good enough because they don't want to say Hurley didn't meet expectations this season."
You either think the talent on this team isn't as good as you originally thought or the coaching isn't as good as you thought it would be. Which one is it?

I personally think we still have a very good roster and the coaching is what's lacking. It's funny you mention UCONN because I know a lot of people think Ollie isn't a very good coach and wasn't getting the most out of his roster. Now they have a few injuries so we'll see if Ollie gets the same benefit of the doubt that Hurley got with EC injured.

To answer your question, yes my expectations have changed but that's because I don't think Hurley is all that great of a coach and can't get the most out of his guys. We have the players to meet my original expectations but not the coach.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:
josephski wrote: The number next to our name is directly related to our record. I think that's pretty obvious. Disappointed is probably the wrong word to use but this roster is more talented than whatever record we'll have if we end up an 11 seed. That's my point. My expectations are tied to the talent we have on the team this year, not what has happened in the past.

You either think the talent on this team isn't as good as you originally thought or the coaching isn't as good as you thought it would be. Which one is it?

I personally think we still have a very good roster and the coaching is what's lacking. It's funny you mention UCONN because I know a lot of people think Ollie isn't a very good coach and wasn't getting the most out of his roster. Now they have a few injuries so we'll see if Ollie gets the same benefit of the doubt that Hurley got with EC injured.

To answer your question, yes my expectations have changed but that's because I don't think Hurley is all that great of a coach and can't get the most out of his guys. We have the players to meet my original expectations but not the coach.
Seems like a bulletproof thought to have 1/4 of the way through the season. No shot they turn it around and play better in the remaining 75% of games.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
josephski
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote:Does the seeding actually matter? Like you'll be disappointed if we're an 11 vs a 7? Holy shit realistic people can't win here. Does a win in March feel less good because you didn't have the number you wanted?

Did you even read my post? I said disappointed was the wrong word to use.

The reason this even came up is because some of us don't think Hurley is a great coach and isn't getting the most out of the talent on his roster. If you think this roster is only good enough to achieve a record that barely gets us into the tournament then I agree, Hurley met expectations with the team he has this year. If you think this roster is talented enough that they are a legitimate top 25 team then having a record that barely gets us in is not meeting expectations.

I'm supposed to be excited that Hurley is the type of coach who will maybe get us in the tournament once every 4-5 years with a team that's on the bubble?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:
josephski wrote: The number next to our name is directly related to our record. I think that's pretty obvious. Disappointed is probably the wrong word to use but this roster is more talented than whatever record we'll have if we end up an 11 seed. That's my point. My expectations are tied to the talent we have on the team this year, not what has happened in the past.

Good question Josephski,

As for UCONN,
I said before the season that I thought Alterique Gilbert was over rated. I know he was highly ranked by the ranking guru's but I have seen him play in high level AAU games and not been impressed. Maybe he had off games, but the good ones never seem to have off games in AAU. In fact the really good ones step up. So maybe I question Ollie's ability to judge talent more than his game coaching ability. Steve Enoch is starting for UCONN, another guy who did not impress me much in HS and I was surprised he picked UCONN and I am even more surprised that he is starting now.
UCONN was recruiting with the big, big boys when Calhoun was there, but I'm not so impressed with their recruiting under Ollie.
I am not sure UCONN will be very patient with Ollie. The old UCONN's would have HS Top 100 Players on the bench much like Duke, North Carolina, etc. Their Girl's Team has HS Top 100s on the bench some seasons. So depth is normally not that big of an issue. I don't think Ollie gets a break from the injuries to Larrier and to Gilbert. They are 4-4 now. Almost went to 3-5 if they had lost last night which they easily could have.

As for URI,
I am not trying to dodge your question, but I honestly think I need to see the season play out and most importantly the A10 Conference games.
Individual performances have been talked about ad nauseum here. Some have played to expectations (not to visions :D :D ), some have exceeded expectations and some have not. I would say 2 starters have exceeded, 3 starters have not met - and I am talking about over the entire 8 games. Obviously there have been exceptions for all 5.
In basketball the results have a lot to do about the team, how they mesh, how the players compliment one another, the chemistry is big. The bench gets a lot of talk here but these 5 starters are critically important. I might say it is more important to have all 5 meeting expectations than to have 1 or 2 far exceeding.
I am not 100% sure about the talent level. It is very important in basketball for players to improve every year, because on the competition the players tend to improve each year. So far 1 player, maybe 2 is playing better than last year. If all 5 were playing the same or BETTER than last year just think of where we would be. But I think the players and Coaches know this better then we amateurs do. One thing I know is we have hard working coaches, hard working players, good people. I'm betting they turn things around and have a strong year, hopefully winning the A10. I think we are still the team to beat in the A10 and the difficulty of the schedule to date could very well be preparing us for great things to come. And I could very well be wrong......or right. :D :D
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

mad.jpg
mad.jpg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 987 times
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Ollie does have a national title under his belt. Has to count for something (although yes he did it with Calhoun's guys).
That being said the natives are very restless up there. Let's face it, if the hoops program slips, they have little or no chance of getting into a P5 conference.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I wonder if Rutgers regrets missing out on Dan Hurley right now?
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I wonder if Rutgers regrets missing out on Dan Hurley right now?
You can't be serious with this post... Rutgers got a good one in Pikell, but have you looked at who they've played or just their record? Their best win might be against... Drexel? The beat DePaul by 7 points... let's not.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I wonder if Rutgers regrets missing out on Dan Hurley right now?
Of course they do. Is this serious?
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:
Of course they do. Is this serious?
It is serious and I doubt that they do. Not that I think that is important. Just posted it because I was reading the thread.

I want Hurley to win a national title this year. I have zero rooting interest in picking him apart or saying bad stuff about him.

Though there are glaring issues IMHO.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry