I Still Believe in This Team...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Final4RamHottie
Frenchy Tomlin

I Still Believe in This Team...

Unread post by Final4RamHottie »

I understand some of the panic but I am also best friends with Shabazz Napier (I am a yoga instructor in NYC) and know what UConn went through the year they win it all in 2013/14. Our next game is a must win against ODU!

We are getting ready to go through a very key stretch to the season. This is when the team needs the support. It is a long season and we are healthy (EC will get it together). There is time to have a great season. Providence is over. We can still make a deep run when it matters most!

Just beat ODU...then get this thing going.

Thank you
Lexiaxo
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: I Still Believe in This Team...

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Comparing Shabazz and that UCONN team with this URI team?

Jesus.

Goodnight everyone. Let's see if we can win a game this week!
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sure...just click your heels.....and off to Kansas we go......

Would love to believe.....play well for 40 minutes for once, and then keep repeating that......uh huh
1 x
Final4RamHottie
Frenchy Tomlin

Just saying UConn started 2013/14 at 4-3 with losses to Stanford, Houston and SMU. Then won it all. I am not predicting a National Championship but believe our team can make a deep run. Seasons are made up of several chapters. It is a journey. I do not like what I see either right now. I still believe we can win the A-10. The BearCats are no joke they won at Iowa State.

This team is worth supporting and going to the games. It can still be our year!
0 x
Let's WIN the whole darn thing!!!!!! Paging Shock the World!! :)
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Of course most, if not all the members on this board will support the team.

The frustration just comes from all the hype meaning nothing (as of now), the inability to win close games on the road, and two of our starters looking like they have zero interest in playing.
1 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I agree that there is precedent for teams finding "it" at some point and finishing the season in a way that makes their sluggish start seem like an odd footnote. Certainly that is possible for this team. I'd also note that there are teams that start hot and look legit and end up falling apart, but that the vast majority of teams end up being who they show themselves to be. So while it's certainly possible for things to click for Rhody and this season being salvaged, it's also not likely.

The obvious thing that would click for this team and allow them to turn into what we had hoped they would be is EC getting right. It's hard to know how likely that is or how much difference it would make, but that is out there and I wouldn't rule it out. I'd still wonder if there isn't a ceiling for this team even with a fully functional EC due to what I see as a strategic deficit on the bench. Over years now, this staff has proven itself to be unimaginative and subpar in terms of both micro and macro game management.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That last paragraph really sums it up, TP.......
0 x
Final4RamHottie
Frenchy Tomlin

Rhody15 wrote:Of course most, if not all the members on this board will support the team.

The frustration just comes from all the hype meaning nothing (as of now), the inability to win close games on the road, and two of our starters looking like they have zero interest in playing.
I understand my friend. Here is the thing though. I am of the belief that early season losses can if used properly facilitate the growth needed to reap the rewards later in the season when it matters most. In college hoops it is all about peaking at the right time. In my opinion our pre season ranking was warranted. I think we can live up to it when it matters most.

Without going into detail how in this thread it is my sincere belief we have the DNA to do it. If we don't then all the critics should have their day.

It is just to early to give up after losing our national ranking. Have a beautiful week.

Thank you!
Lexia :)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Lexia, nice post...we have enough talent here to make the tourney imo...but in my mind our coach doesn't have what it takes......it's really tough to bash the guy because he usually says and does so many great things for the program...EXCEPT win, which is what all coaches and programs are measured by.....

Maybe nice guys really do finish last......
0 x
Final4RamHottie
Frenchy Tomlin

TruePoint wrote:I agree that there is precedent for teams finding "it" at some point and finishing the season in a way that makes their sluggish start seem like an odd footnote. Certainly that is possible for this team. I'd also note that there are teams that start hot and look legit and end up falling apart, but that the vast majority of teams end up being who they show themselves to be. So while it's certainly possible for things to click for Rhody and this season being salvaged, it's also not likely.

The obvious thing that would click for this team and allow them to turn into what we had hoped they would be is EC getting right. It's hard to know how likely that is or how much difference it would make, but that is out there and I wouldn't rule it out. I'd still wonder if there isn't a ceiling for this team even with a fully functional EC due to what I see as a strategic deficit on the bench. Over years now, this staff has proven itself to be unimaginative and subpar in terms of both micro and macro game management.
I still think we can repeat history of that E8 although I was to young to appreciate it. Kevin Ollie has proven to have serious in game strategy flaws yet he found to beat some of the best college coaches on a big title run. Ollie is struggling big time right now.

You know your stuff though TP :) Thank you!
0 x
Let's WIN the whole darn thing!!!!!! Paging Shock the World!! :)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Final4RamHottie wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:Of course most, if not all the members on this board will support the team.

I understand my friend. Here is the thing though. I am of the belief that early season losses can if used properly facilitate the growth needed to reap the rewards later in the season when it matters most.
OK...meaning the team learns from experience and gets better as the year goes on..? That makes sense. I'm still relatively new - so, asking the question seriously, but...when was the last time that happened here? When you could say at the end of the year, that the team was much better than it was at the beginning of the year?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Final4RamHottie wrote:

I understand my friend. Here is the thing though. I am of the belief that early season losses can if used properly facilitate the growth needed to reap the rewards later in the season when it matters most. In college hoops it is all about peaking at the right time. In my opinion our pre season ranking was warranted. I think we can live up to it when it matters most.

Without going into detail how in this thread it is my sincere belief we have the DNA to do it. If we don't then all the critics should have their day.

It is just to early to give up after losing our national ranking. Have a beautiful week.

Thank you!
Lexia :)
I agree with you. I would much rather have scheduled Cincinnati, Duke, Old Dominion, Valparaiso, Belmont, Houston - All teams that could win their Conferences and go to the NCAA tournament - than to have schedules easier teams, with most at home and ended up 11-1 or 10-2. We would have learned very little about our weaknesses and everyone would be drinking kool-aid by the gallon.

The success of this season is all in front of us and this tough schedule may prove to have been the smart thing to do for this veteran team. If it does not work out that way then it would not have worked out anyway.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we get better, than it was worth it.....sure.....some of our young players should improve...some of our starters should play better....sure....

but there's that one pesky problem that refuses to go away...the freaking coach isn't getting any better at managing games....even TP agrees
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This ODU team is going to be a good test. I think we win this game but I think it will be very close
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

I'm with Hottie.

This team goes on a four game win streak right now.

GO RHODY!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I do also still believe in this team.......to go to the unthinkable what if......what if the EC we see now IS the new reality EC....he just does not return(for whatever reason)to his former self.....how long does Dan keep putting him out there(starting him/major minutes) without developing other offensive schemes to get production out of others.....at what in the schedule does this potential new reality become a trigger point for change.....unthinkable.....??
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I still believe we are capable of turning it around, despite my current mental head-space and propensity to consider whether suicide would be a better fate than living and dying with this team.

However, we won't change anything unless the following is addressed:

Kuran. As a whole. He is a streaky offensive player, but I'm not sure his good outweighs his bad. It seems like he plays when he wants to, which isn't very often. He might be a head case and when he makes a mistake everything compounds and he just shuts down. Defensively he's a sieve. A soft sieve. Every big PC run was sparked when he came on the floor. He singlehandedly let Peters win the game for Valpo. MichSt715 and I literally counted his +/- outloud durning the 11-2 PC run that effectively ended our game. He was -9 in those 3 minutes. I am not kidding when I say every bad play both defensively and offensively during that run were 100% because KI made a bad pass, bad shot, bad decision, bad play, missed rotation, rebound, or assignment. He shouldn't be a starter. He shouldn't play 20. That should be recognized. 6'9 doesn't mean you belong on the floor just because. Otherwise Blake Veder would've been a 4 year starter. He should come off the bench to provide a spark and come out in spurts to mitigate any defensive damage.

EC. I'm sorry. I feel like I've said this for years. He doesn't have the mental makeup to be THE guy, but he always wants to be. I feel like I have seen him take at least 50 big time, needed, clutch shots in his career. If he's made 5 of them, I would be SHOCKED. I can only recall the late 3 against Cincinnatti. If there are 4 I'm missing please tell me. I don't know if it's because he's always been told that he's the best or what, or that you need to hit a step-back 3 to make it to the NBA - but he has the tools to be a much better player, he just refuses to use them. I don't know if it's ego, or fear, or what...but if you are good at getting into the lane and scoring at the rim...WHY CAN'T THAT BE GOOD ENOUGH!? NO ONE CAN STOP THAT. He's not a shooter. I think he thinks he needs to be. If you can score, you can help. He is playing selfish. He wants to be the guy. He ignores open teammates because he wants to be the guy to hit the shot. I see people saying "oh he's not confident, he's not doing what he could do because of his knee." Sorry. That's wrong. EC has ALWAYS done this. He's a career 33% 3 point shooter. WHY THE FUCK IS HE TAKING 8 FUCKING 3's A GAME!? WHY IS HE TAKING THE LAST FUCKING SHOT IF IT'S A 3!? GET TO THE FUCKING RIM OR PASS THE FUCKING BALL. If you want to be a leader on this team, you need to recognize where you can help by doing, and where you can help by letting others do. If you're not a 3 point shooter, make the pass, find the open guy, help your team win...that's a leader. If you see an open lane and you can get into it and draw a foul or get to the rim and score...do that, help your team win...that's a leader. Wanting to hear the crowd cheer by shooting a 3 by forcing up a shot that you can't make is selfish and horrible basketball. Not everyone is clutch. Not everyone needs to be. That's why you have a team. Recognizing that is what a leader needs to do.

Dan. The fact that he hasn't recognized any of the above is troubling. Allowing 2 big runs with KI in the game without changing anything or calling a time out is disgusting. Not putting Hass on Peters at the end of the Valpo game was bad. I love Dan. We're lucky to be where we are now after what Baron did here and that's 100% because of him. He is a great recruiter, can develop players, can hype up the program, can get support for the program, and can at least make us respectable. His loyalty to his players is a big reason they play so hard, but it may be to a fault. EC shouldn't have the ball in a big time situation. Iverson shouldn't be on the floor for more than 10 minutes. Honestly Iverson shouldn't play the 4. What happened to our rotations? Why are guys like Akele, Thompson, and Robinson being taken out over and over when they're playing well? The "coming at you in waves" thing only works if you actually substitute guys. I feel like Dan gets so involved in the games, which I love to see, but it's to a fault and he can't look objectively and see - wow KI is killing us I need to move him out of this spot...or- wow Jared has ice-water he need the ball now, why is EC shooting that?

Of course the season isn't over. There's plenty of games left, plenty of opportunities, and thankfully we have a marquee win that will look great in March. In the grand scheme of things we have 2 early season road losses to 2 top 75 teams.

The problem that a lot of us in the "sky is falling" crowd are pointing out is that the same problems that we've said for years still exist. The inability to make adjustments or substitutions when they're needed. A lack of end-of-game and out-of-time out plays/execution. An inability to put away games and get 6-7 point leads up to 10-12 and out of reach. EC always having the ball at the end of games when he shouldn't. The ball not going inside to Hass more.

We have 2 STUDS on this team and the wear #32 and #12. The first option on any offensive possession should ALWAYS be to find Hass in the post. 67% from the field. 84% from the line. That's your primary guy. If Hass isn't there FIND JARED TERRELL. He's shooting 44% from 3. He's a legitimate deep threat. Both have made linear improvements in every category year to year. This is THEIR team. Hass has earned that right. Jared has earned that right. Jared is the polar opposite of EC in clutch time. The few opportunities he's been given to make a clutch shot he does. Why plays aren't being drawn up for him out of time outs and at the end of the game is beyond me.

We have the talent to be a good team. We were beat in one game this year, we've lost 2 others by ourselves. As much as the loss to PC sucks we are still "fine" with regards to an at-large bid, but we still need to get a quality road win, and prove that we can beat good teams.

The season certainly isn't over, but if a "leader" on the floor or on the sideline doesn't recognize our deficiencies on the court and correct them, it might as well be.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man, from the heart as always! And from the head too, great analysis......

Can you coach this fucking team? Please?

I'll add one thing to your post....what are our assistants doing out there during games?

Are they not observing the same things we are? Do they make suggestions to Dan when they see something that's not working?

Dan needs help, it's obvious...to everybody but Dan, I guess.......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Also, good point about KI...if he sucks, we don't have a legit 4 to guard the other team's best forward.......Cyril isn't ready and who knows about the others......
0 x