Game 9: Old Dominion 12/6 7pm Ryan Center

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Game 9: Old Dominion 12/6 7pm Ryan Center

Unread post by ramster »

URI takes on ODU Tuesday Night 7pm at the Ryan Center
Thankfully Bacote graduated. He killed us off the bench in last year's game
ODU just won a squeaker against Pat Skerry's Towson team on Saturday by 2 points

From College Basketball Madness Preseason Rankings
Joel Welser
Sat, 08/27/2016
Old Dominion Monarchs
2016-2017 Overall Rank: #76
Conference Rank: #1 Conference USA

Any team that plays defense as well as Old Dominion is going to be in the mix for a conference title. Last season the Monarchs ended up winning 25 games and there is hope that this group can do even better. Coach Jeff Jones’ squad finished 12-6 in a tough Conference USA, but made a nice run to the conference championship game, where they fell 55-53 to Middle Tennessee. The Monarchs had to settle for a trip to the inaugural Vegas 16. They beat Tennessee Tech, UCSB and Oakland en route to a Vegas 16 championship.
2015-16 Record: 25-13, 12-6
2015-16 Postseason: Vegas 16
Coach: Jeff Jones
Coach Record: 70-39 at Old Dominion, 422-324 overall

Who’s Out:
Trey Freeman is a big loss for Old Dominion. He easily led the team with 22.1 points per game and on a team that only scored 68.5 points per game, that is a huge percentage of the scoring. Freeman was one of the few players who could create his own shot and that is a skill the Monarchs will miss. Aaron Bacote was second on the team with 13.1 points per game. Like Freeman, Bacote was a capable outside shooter who could also attack the basket. Nik Biberaj did a lot of the dirty work in the paint during his senior season. The 6-8 forward was never much of a threat to score, but he gave a quality 20 minutes per game. Little used Payton Pervier and Martin Shaw are also gone.

Who’s In:
ODU will look to reload with five transfers. B.J. Stith comes to the Monarchs to join his brother and his father, who is an assistant under Coach Jones. Stith spent one season at Virginia and the 6-5 sophomore will make a big impact with his new team. Trey Porter was sitting on the sidelines last season too after transferring in from George Mason. Porter is a long, lanky 6-10, 205 pound forward who can do some scoring the paint. He averaged just 3.5 points and 2.6 rebounds with George Mason, but his season on the sidelines has helped his development and he will at least be a force on the defensive end of the floor. The frontcourt also adds junior college transfer Alassane Kah. The 6-9 junior has some work to do, but he can stretch the defense with his outside shooting ability. Fellow junior college transfers Randy Haynes and Keith Pinckney will look for minutes on the perimeter. Both can handle the ball and this is a team that needs some ball handlers. Freshmen Aaron Carver, Travis Fields and Xavier Green should all have time to develop with so many experienced players coming into the program.

Who to Watch:
The newcomers are nice, but Coach Jones returns five players who should have a big impact on this team. Brandan Stith is the most proven of the bunch. The 6-7 forward averaged 10.4 points and 9.7 rebounds last season and he will tally a ton of double-doubles in 2016-2017. The elder Stith will be joined by Denzell Taylor in the frontcourt. Taylor is not much of an offensive threat, but he is an experienced senior who averaged 7.2 rebounds per game last season. With some scorers around him, Old Dominion can afford to put him in the starting lineup and let him hit the glass and play tough defense. Zoran Talley had a very promising freshman campaign. He averaged 8.1 points and 4.5 rebounds and was very efficient scoring in the paint. Talley should be in for a big sophomore season, especially if he can develop an outside shot. Jordan Baker and Ahmad Caver will handle plenty of minutes on the perimeter. Baker is a good shooter off of the bench and Caver will likely step into the starting point guard spot.

Final Projection:
The Monarchs are certainly not lacking in talent. While many of the key contributors are newcomers, B.J. Stith and Porter are no strangers to the program having sat on the sidelines last year. That means the chemistry of fitting in all of the newcomers should not be that big of an issue. The bigger issue will be finding a go-to-scorer or two. Both Stith’s are great options, but the pressure is really on B.J. to provide a consistent and reliable perimeter scoring threat. Somebody on this team needs to knock down some three-pointers and B.J. Stith will likely be the best option. If he has an off night and nobody else has proven that they can hit the long ball, Old Dominion will have some trouble this season. But there are options and Coach Jones will find enough offense to compete for a conference title and a spot in the NCAA Tournament.

Projected Postseason Tournament: NCAA
Projected Starting Five:
Ahmad Caver, Sophomore, Guard, 2.7 points per game
B.J. Stith, Sophomore, Guard, DNP last season
Zoran Talley, Sophomore, Forward, 8.1 points per game
Brandan Stith, Junior, Forward, 10.4 points per game
Denzell Taylor, Senior, Forward, 4.2 points per game

By the Numbers:
Scoring Offense: 68.5 (270th in nation, 12th in conference)
Scoring Defense: 61.6 (7, 1)
Field-Goal Percentage: 44.3 (166, 11)
Field-Goal Defense: 39.7 (23, 1)
Three-Point Field Goals Per Game: 4.2 (344, 14)
Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage: 30.1 (327, 14)
Free-Throw Percentage: 68.2 (242, 9)
Rebound Margin: 6.4 (29, 1)
Assists Per Game: 13.3 (178, 7)
Turnovers Per Game: 9.1 (1, 1)
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 9: Old Dominion 7pm Ryan Center

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I do not want to hear or see Hurley or anyone associated with the team to bitch about attendance.

There will be nobody at this game, and I can't blame people for not coming after their performances this week.
4 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Are your going?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote:Are your going?
Having said what I just said, yes I will be there screaming and yelling like it's the national championship game lol...I've missed about 4 home games since my freshman year in 09

No matter the results, I go.

But I will not and cannot blame fans if they do not go.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fair enough.
I think most of the criticism for attendance comes on this board. I can't recall Hurley criticizing the fans for not coming out this year. maybe I missed it.
Attendance is what it is.
I would not expect attendance to be high for any home games until A10 play starts. But I don't really care much about attendance levels.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If they come out like they did against Brown, Duke, Belmont, Valpo and PC, well, it's going to be a long season.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

theblueram wrote:If they come out like they did against Brown, Duke, Belmont, Valpo and PC, well, it's going to be a long season.
So if we play like we have 75% of the season we will suck. Comforting. Lol God we suck.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Much to our dismay this looks to have the makings of another possession slogfest, rock fight, whatever you want to call it. ODU is a BAD BAD offensive team but so far have been very good defensively.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Is there a stream for Tues night's game?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

steviep123 wrote:Is there a stream for Tues night's game?
Yes, there is.
51DRObn6DfL.jpg
51DRObn6DfL.jpg (26.73 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

steviep123 wrote:Is there a stream for Tues night's game?
Being serious for a minute.... Looks like the A10 Network will be streaming it
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Jay, put a URI logo somewhere on that kid, and I will move to your seat, after you are asked to leave.....!!......go for it.....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Worth noting... one of their starters, Zoran Talley, is suspended indefinitely. He has missed ODU's last two games. No idea if he will be available against us on Tuesday.

Talley is averaging 7.4 points and 2.4 rebounds per game this season
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Kid does look a bit like Hurley
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ODU is marginally better than Belmont....if we play like dreck it will be a nailbiter...of course they play good D so we won't be able to run on them...not that we try to anyway......

It will be an ugly game...good thing it's at home.....underachiever URI beats crappy ODU by 5.......battle of bad offense....

And if we lose....might as well forfeit the Houston game......a joke but not funny
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I Do not consider Old Dominion a crappy team.

Beat Madison at home
Beat Richmond on road
Lost to #10 Louisville in Overtime in Paradise Jam
Lost to LSU in Paradise Jam
Beat St johns in Paradise Jam
Beat Dartmouth at home
Beat Towson on road

They are a well regarded team. This never was considered to be an easy win for URI, ever.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With all due respect, ramster, I've got news for you....

NO game currently is, or will be easy for URI........we play to the level of our opponent, unless that opponent is so shitty we can't even do that.....

This should be a win....other than playing Louisville close, who have they beaten? We are at home...we should be favored to win EVERY home game the rest of the way, if we're as good as some think we are......
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree.
But you said Old Dominion was crappy.
So you set it up in advance so if URI wins it was against a crappy team. if URI losses it was against a crappy team. URI can't win.

PC rarely brings in a team the caliber of Old Dominion in OOC games. Nor a team like Valparaiso or Houston or Nebraska.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote:Agree.
So you set it up in advance so if URI wins it was against a crappy team. if URI losses it was against a crappy team. URI can't win.

PC rarely brings in a team the caliber of Old Dominion in OOC games. Nor a team like Valparaiso or Houston or Nebraska.
I think the PC bashing has to go away for awhile after yesterday's game.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:
ramster wrote:Agree.

I think the PC bashing has to go away for awhile after yesterday's game.
It's not PC bashing. The bashing is saying Old Dominion is crappy to suit the purpose of bashing our own coach. Win and we beat a crappy team. Lose and lets go total meltdown. Old Dominion is a very tough team and far from an automatic cup cake win. Houston will also be a tough game to win.

But the optimistic part of me says this is all building our team to be stronger. Strength through adversity. Bring on the A-10 schedule.
I believe we will win the A-10 Conference for the first time in the history of URI basketball. Still do, even after these last two games.
Put PC, Cincinnati, Old Dominion, Houston and Valparaiso in the A-10 this year and they all could make arguements that they could finish Top 3 if not win it. These games are toughening up our team, showing where our weaknesses are, far, far more than if we played OOC schedules like in the 12 year pre Hurley period. At some point changes in the starting line up and in playing time could take place, but no way they would even be thought to be necessary if we played lesser quality teams.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True that, 15....ramster ODU isn't crappy, but they aren't as talented as we are.....and they aren't as good as PC or Valpo.....

I should temper my "talented" remarks...we have SOME very talented players....not enough evidently...and a coach who can't max that talent....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 9: Old Dominion 12/6 7pm Ryan Center

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Looks like maybe someone stole my tin foil hat...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will say 69-63 Rhody
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Looks like maybe someone stole my tin foil hat...
Yes,
and I am already preparing myself for International Tin Foil Hat Day April 1, 2017

November 1895 — Wilhelm Röntgen discovers X-rays
January 1896 — Article ‘On a New Type of Ray’ is published
February-March 1896 — X-ray fever
April 1896 — Invention of the concept of protective hats
April 1926 — Julian Huxley describes protective tin foil hats in his story the ‘Tissue-Culture King’
August 2006 — ‘Signs’ documentary released. The movie describes best practices of protecting from Aliens with tin foil hats
April 2016 — International Tin Foil Hat Day launched

https://blog.kaspersky.co.uk/tinfoilhatday2016/6984/

https://vm14u1ubwm949kuf730h5nf734-wpen ... 24x672.jpg
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Looks like maybe someone stole my tin foil hat...
Yes,
and I am already preparing myself for International Tin Foil Hat Day April 1, 2017

November 1895 — Wilhelm Röntgen discovers X-rays
January 1896 — Article ‘On a New Type of Ray’ is published
February-March 1896 — X-ray fever
April 1896 — Invention of the concept of protective hats
April 1926 — Julian Huxley describes protective tin foil hats in his story the ‘Tissue-Culture King’
August 2006 — ‘Signs’ documentary released. The movie describes best practices of protecting from Aliens with tin foil hats
April 2016 — International Tin Foil Hat Day launched

https://blog.kaspersky.co.uk/tinfoilhatday2016/6984/

https://vm14u1ubwm949kuf730h5nf734-wpen ... 24x672.jpg
"Signs" came out in August 2002.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Can the team find a way to play together and to take advantage of every inch they are given on the court? No more 1 vs 1 isolation or not cutting to the basket as a passing option for a teammate cutting to the lane. This game will show whether or not the players or staff have learned anything from the last two games.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Got two tickets for anyone that wants them. PM me.
0 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Tickets are gone.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Is it just me or is anyone else just not excited to go to the game tomorrow?
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:Is it just me or is anyone else just not excited to go to the game tomorrow?
Do you have season tix? If I didn't, I might have had a hard time with it. But, knowing that I'm all ticketed up...and living right down the street...I'm there. And if they play well.....
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:Is it just me or is anyone else just not excited to go to the game tomorrow?
Do you have season tix?
Indeed.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I'm still pretty excited to see how they bounce back against a pretty good team. This is the best team they'll have played at home so far most likely.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote:I'm still pretty excited to see how they bounce back against a pretty good team. This is the best team they'll have played at home so far most likely.
Good point,,,hopefully, they come out with a something to prove attitude.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I'm always excited for the next game. Probably not a surprise to anyone. Beer, basketball, yelling at refs and opposing coaches/players, ezbuckets, cheerleaders, ramettes, friends, family... what the fuck is better than that?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Need a win to bring some sanity back here.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

There will never be sanity here... but a win would definitely be nice
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RoadyJay wrote:There will never be sanity here... but a win would definitely be nice
Good point.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:I'm always excited for the next game. Probably not a surprise to anyone. Beer, basketball, yelling at refs and opposing coaches/players, ezbuckets, cheerleaders, ramettes, friends, family... what the fuck is better than that?
um.....not much...
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I'm with you RoadyJay but watch out since I am sure that my buddy Rod will find something very wrong with how we feel.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Home game against a lesser opponent who we'll beat and then see the same people as usual posting on here, "See, the sky isn't falling". Can't wait.

Honestly I'm more excited than I thought I'd be for this game but pretty bummed that I'll have to try and stream it on my phone while dealing with horrendous camera angles.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Line is Rhody-10 I am taking ODU plus points and hope URI wins by about 8
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Will be interesting with HM out. Looks like ODU is offensively challenged but plays d and rebounds. I get a little nervous when I see teams in the 300s of rankings for FT%/3pt% and still playing reasonably well. All of a sudden they shoot even halfway decent and they are tough. Line is already down to -8. My guess is URI is up 10-15 and hang on while the bigs run out of steam against their front line.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Hopefully EC can step up with Hassan out. Anyone know if the ODU bigs are any good? Will they be able to take advantage of our lack of depth?

Edit: Nevermind, looked at their roster and their leading scorer is 6'7" 240lbs.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Anyone have video link to watch??
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

RIhoopz14 wrote:Anyone have video link to watch??
nvm found it on A10 site
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Keep taking it to the hoop EC!!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Can we add to the bad under the basket camera angle, the always over-modulated audio? Wow....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Good to see EC looking more confident, tonight.
Maybe he's over the hump?
Hope so. This team needs his scoring.
Terrell with only one shot so far.
What's with the baseline camera angle?
Can;t see when the ball goes foul line
or beyond.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The camera angle is beyond frustrating. I've been saying it since game one. I can't believe whoever runs this watches it and thinks it looks fine.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018