Game 9: Old Dominion 12/6 7pm Ryan Center

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 9: Old Dominion 12/6 7pm Ryan Center

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Garrett was shooting 78% coming into tonight's game.
Shot 70% last year.
Wish they all couldn't shoot free throws like Jarvis Garrett.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

hrstrat57 wrote:
PeteRI wrote:7 assists and 15 turnovers. Is that what a Top 25 team does?

Any idea how long Hassan with be out?
Hurley is on radio right now talking about it....

B101 avail on iheartradio
Yadda yadda yadda ... Coaches gonna coach. Zzzzzzz
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We have our secret weapon all lined up for when we play Dayton....it's Andre the Giant Berry!

He will lay waste to the Flyers! Total domination inside! We will win!

And then Dan will sit him for like forever afterwards.....and before too actually.....

Our depth is disappearing fast....now if only Iverson could disappear...oh wait he already has!
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Hurley is talking about last week and he sounds like he has heard all the complaints..."We will get better from last weeks games"

This game was better? For results, yes...but this was a bad game.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

He sounds pissed...
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

hrstrat57 wrote:

Hurley is on radio right now talking about it....

B101 avail on iheartradio

He only seems to show up after a win. Maybe he'll discuss how his offense is improving.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe he'll say it was because ODU plays good defense......

It's pretty easy to defend statues out there...I could do that.....

Brenden Malone would be rolling in his grave...or is he still alive?
1 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

Odu held Louisville to 49 n regulation n lost to them in OT-- so I guess 51 isn't that bad without ur best player
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Pretty awful on offense by both teams. They both looked out of sorts, tired or something.
Neither team could make anything, throwing up mostly forced shots. don't think this one
is going to do anything for their confidence shooting the ball. maybe they should bring
back Hassan next season and start over. Give him a medical redshirt.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I'm not sure ODUs defense was that great...we missed a bunch of layups and free throws...we would have won by about 20 if we just hit them at our average.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

He was pissed!

IMHO that's good.

I'm pretty certain he is reading keaneyblue which is also good. Awful game but I though team played not scared at times.....

I don't make excuses but ODU does play super fierce defense. We have a puncher's chance against UH methinks...
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

He was talking about how we recruit at a high level, have great player development and have a great program...he was almost going point by point refuting criticisms...he defended EC, etc.

Too bad I didn't believe any of it. I'm done with his BS. talk is cheap...If we win Saturday, I may start to feel better.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Wow...that was like a dumpster fire, without all the excitement? Well, at least it's a W...all that matters really. They needed to win, were supposed to win, and probably won't get dinged for not winning by enough. On to the next one. Have to say, the D did look decent at times and it was good to see a more aggressive EC out there...even if he wasn't spectacularly effective.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The way things are going our scoring average will be close to 60.....like 2 years ago.....

RIFan, this team has missed layups by the boatload for many years now.....it's part of Rhody's BB DNA.......

Different years, different players, same old shit....

Dan spends his time defending losing.....it is getting pretty annoying....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Few thoughts from the game, I like Kuran, He has great ability but has been playing like his girlfriend just dumped him. I hope he turns around because we really need him. Berry looked solid and ODU was by no means a small team. Langavine fights but he's undersized. No flow to offense tonight, couldn't penetrate. I mean guys were barely able to take a jump shot but ODU is no slouch and our leading scorer and shot blocker was out so there's that. Houstons gonna be tough but we NEED it. I'm moving on and we still have a team so go rams!
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

But, they didn't lose tonight, they won, and hopefully EC is getting back into it. Doesn't look like right now he's the superstar/NBA lock he was talked about as two years ago, but he at least needs to be 'decent' for this team to succeed and it seemed like he was better tonight than he's been in a while. Good sign.

Was also good to see some others flying around out there in Hassan's absence. But, KI...where have you gone?

PS - I think Rod's pic from another thread was 'foreshadowing' for tonight's game. :lol:
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I didn't see the game tonight. I heard it was cancelled because there was bricklayers convention going on at the Ryan Center. Is that true?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Bricklayers......I think I heard 19% from field in second half, in the post game stats....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Houston should be a much more uptempo game....they like to run.......a half court game won't do it against a good team on the road, at least not the way we play it.....

I'm going to get tossed out of the next coach's show, because somebody has to ask the tough questions...like WHY does our half court "offense" suck balls? All the time? And why do you [Dan] insist on playing it trying to protect a lead?

If we were good at it, by all means do it...but we are UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLY BAD at it!!!!!

On the road, it means LOSING almost every time, even to lesser teams....

Nobody has the sack to ask Dan tough questions....some say they do in private.....even Don rolls his eyes when I've talked to him about it.....

I'm sure a coach doesn't like people telling him how to coach...but TOO FUCKING BAD.......
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I didn't see the game tonight. I heard it was cancelled because there was bricklayers convention going on at the Ryan Center. Is that true?
Only partially true...the bricklayer's convention was canceled because of a giant sh*t storm...what a mess...it was such a storm that all the cars in the parking lot needed to be washed. And, as folks were leaving, they were talking like, "Man, I hope there's a hose outside so I can get this sh*t off me before I have to get in my sh*t-covered car.." :lol: :lol:
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Rambone,

You don't go to games.You certainly won't go to a coaches show and ask questions. You most most certainly won't go and ask "tough" questions. Give it a rest.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm done with Kuran.

He had 0 points and 4 fouls this game. Doesn't even look like he's trying.

Send him to the Bench, maybe light a spark.

EC finally realized he is very good at driving to the hoop and was aggressive in the first half. Second half, not so much.

This game reminded me a lil of the Valpo game last year.

First game back after a star players injury, although not as serious, and just had a "meh" feel to it. Players sort of going thru the motions.

Good to see a W, now go prove us all wrong and win at Houston.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodeIslandRams wrote:Weird to bring EC in with one minute left up 10? Again, trying to get his confidence up, what else could be the reason...
to beat the spread :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wrong there my friend...I have gone to several shows, and have asked questions...but not the hardball kind...some
things need to be said......and yes I go to games....not many lately because of my job...I plan to go to more when I retire I hope.....

And I have gone to HUNDREDS of URI games.....over 50 years.....and I have eyes just like the rest of you.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Back to basketball..I thought barrington's own Andre Berry played an excellent game. I'm not one who questions why people on the bench don't play. I always thought jordan hare sucked and the team was better with mike aaman out there..and I am now saying this team is better with Andre berry on the floor. Great hands, clears out the area for other players...seems to have more good plays per minute played than anyone else. Good win, old dominion on is no joke...Jeff jones is a very very good coach...Christian Thompson played great. Not a lot of points but still a solid team where anything is possible this season...the top 25 was just on Hurley hype which I guess is nice to get recruitingwise maybe but I didn't neccessarily but it... but now it's time to earn it.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:I'm done with Kuran.

He had 0 points and 4 fouls this game. Doesn't even look like he's trying.

Send him to the Bench, maybe light a spark.

EC finally realized he is very good at driving to the hoop and was aggressive in the first half. Second half, not so much.

This game reminded me a lil of the Valpo game last year.

First game back after a star players injury, although not as serious, and just had a "meh" feel to it. Players sort of going thru the motions.

Good to see a W, now go prove us all wrong and win at Houston.
Not sure about 'going through the motions'... I thought the D was crazy-active all over tonight...and pretty decent. There were a few wide open burns, but that's going to happen when you get after it like that.

EC wasn't 'great' tonight, but at least he looked a little more aggressive...thinking that's got to be a good sign. He did seem like he was bothered by the knee a couple times tonight...but, good spacing between the next few games, hopefully, he keeps increasing his aggressiveness. I don't know if he needs to be great for them to be successful, but he has to at least be very good.

Could CT develop into a reliable 3 point shooter? Or, is that the pocket-pub talking?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhodeIslandRams wrote:Weird to bring EC in with one minute left up 10? Again, trying to get his confidence up, what else could be the reason...
ODU was fouling so we were going offense/defense with EC and Langevine.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:What happened to Thompson? Dan just said he got hurt in the 2nd half.
He got hurt and went left to locker room. He came back out but you knew he was not going to play anymore tonight.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Our defense in the first half was probably the best it's been in weeks. And Andre Berry played for long stretches of that.
On an offensively inconsistent team there has to be a place for him. Even when Hassan returns.
Cyril is raw and athletic, can defend his position, but can do nothing but set picks and rebound on the offensive end. We aren't proficient enough to play 4 vs 5 on offensive side for long stretches. You have to be able to dump it down low or run the offense inside out at times, you cannot solely run ball screens 20 feet from the hoop.

Jarvis has been wildly inconsistent. EC has been invisible. And Kuran has been a dumpster fire. And now Hassan is down.
On to Houston.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He will be out 4-6 weeks.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I didn't see the game tonight. I heard it was cancelled because there was bricklayers convention going on at the Ryan Center. Is that true?
Only partially true...the bricklayer's convention was canceled because of a giant sh*t storm...what a mess...it was such a storm that all the cars in the parking lot needed to be washed. And, as folks were leaving, they were talking like, "Man, I hope there's a hose outside so I can get this sh*t off me before I have to get in my sh*t-covered car.." :lol: :lol:
This made me laugh. Ouch, I think I just got hit by a brick!!
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

TruePoint thanks, I get that, but I guess I felt the game was out of reach and would hate to see EC injured in garbage time. (I know, with this team there is no such thing as 'out of reach' lol)
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

A win is a win especially without Martin. The winning formula starts and ends with defense for this team. On offense, it's always going to be a grind against good teams. We just need to hope JG, EC, KI and JT can alternate their off nights and we ride whoever is hot and play our defensive matchups for whoever is struggling. Berry played well and deserves to play more although I would've liked to see him kick out those offensive rebounds to set up 3 point shots.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

IDK why people dont recognize CT is or has potential as a great great 3 and D guy. I would like more for him but his stroke is legit and he had the fire lit beneath him from day 1 on defense. Big body. Jumps. Fast.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Not pretty offensively but I'm looking at it as a W after a horrible week and without our best player.

Beat a top 100 team by 12. On to the next.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

It sucks that Kuran is playing so poorly, maybe he's battling an injury we don't know about? I know people have talked about playing Berry or Akele more in place of Kuran but we're not going to be the same team that beat Cincy without Kuran playing well. Neither Akele or Berry will be able to play better than Kuran at his best which was 15 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists in that Cincy game.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I remember when ARD was hired this board was beyond happy that we now had a coach to help and develop our bigs. Hurley is taking a lot of heat here. How about ARD getting some heat also since Iverson must be one of his top projects.
I, like others, don't understand why we waited until there were 5 seconds on the shot clock in the second half before looking to take a shot that always wound up being a very difficult one. Also, when EC was driving to the hoop against 2 or 3 defenders the guy in the corner was wide up for a 3 pointer. Garret and Nicola each got a pass and buried the shot. That's 2 passes out of about 6 or 8 chances. Why?
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:IDK why people dont recognize CT is or has potential as a great great 3 and D guy. I would like more for him but his stroke is legit and he had the fire lit beneath him from day 1 on defense. Big body. Jumps. Fast.
I agree but whose minutes does he cut into? I suggested JG and that opinion was not a popular one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There had to be a full moon....crazy day and night
- 1st We have the rumor of Hassan's injury then much later confirmed
- URI Point Spread is -10
- Majority think that is way to much and several KB betters take ODU and the 10 points
- Vegas drops spread to 7.5 - due to betting changing after injury report - presumably
- KB betters happy they got the 10 points instead of getting only 7.5
- URI, without Hassan Martin, beats not only the 7.5 but the original 10 - crazy
- If you said we would play with no HM, that Terrell would finish with 7 points, Garrett with 6 points, KI with 0 points and Langevine with 3 you would never believe we would win, especially with the struggle EC has been having
- Incredibly we win by 12. Ugly game, but a win

As for the game
- Lots of conjecture of who would or should start for HM
- Many posters saying Andre Berry should play for HM or get a lot more playing time. Once again Berry came though. Amazing considering how very, very little he has played but he showed tonight why he really needs to be on the court. Some excellent rebounds, good defense, very smooth shot - he clearly needs to play more. If there is one thing the majority of this board agrees on it is playing Berry more.
- EC surprises with being the only Ram in double figures with 15 points and collects a team high 8 rebounds.
- Sanford Robinson with a game high 5 steals in only 22 minutes. Entire team got 10 steals. Good energy, good aggressiveness, excellent defense
- Langevine filled in as expected for HM. Got a game high 4 blocks, some good rebounds.
- Jeff Dowtin scored his first points since the Dartmouth game and played 11 minutes. Nice to see him hit his first 3 pointer with URI tonight. He looked more poised than earlier in the season
- Akele played well off the bench.
- Good win considering HM was out - had to have this win!

Also, upcoming Houston lost tonight at Arkansas to go to 6-2.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Tonight's post game show

http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27532790/

Well, there is no doubt that Hurley was fired up. He mad, as they say on the internet.

And...he should be mad. I don't know if he is mad at us - I honestly doubt he is spending a lot of his time perusing the opinions of Rhody fans here on this board. But this has been a tough week for them - tougher than it was for us, and look at how mad we were.

I hope that they can channel their anger into production. I'm not going to complain about a double digit win against what I think is a very good team (I saw some posters refer to ODU as "crappy" and some other unflattering terms - I think those posters don't know what the hell they are talking about). But big picture, I have been very critical about the offensive approach of this team, and while I appreciate that ODU is an excellent defensive team, I didn't see anything tonight to make me think we are on the verge of turning it around on that end of the floor.

So they are going to need to play mad and win some rock fights. Obviously that will be tougher for however long Hass is out. But I don't mind if this team has a bit of a chip on its collective shoulder right now. I hope to see them play with an edge, because they're going to need it if they aren't going to be able to scheme themselves into enough easy points to run away from teams.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

FWIW, Dan once told me he doesn't read the board.
That was a couple of years ago, so maybe that's changed.
Other members of his staff said the same.
Preston did read the board, when he was here.
I would think it's best for coaches not to read boards or
listen to talk radio.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:

I'm not convinced of that. I'm not a doctor, either, so that is my disclaimer. But even 4 weeks seems like an absurdly long time unless he completely tore the thing. He wanted to get cortisone and play tonight. Good luck keeping that man off the court for four weeks.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:FWIW, Dan once told me he doesn't read the board.
listen to talk radio.
Definitely agree that it is probably a bad practice for a coach or a player to read a message board. Nothing good can come from it. I know for me personally, though, if I had a great victory or a painful defeat, it would be very hard not to bath in it or hate-read it, respectively. That said, I think it is very unlikely he reads the board.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I would hope the players don't read the board. That could easily get in their heads. Probably would me at least a little bit.
Glad we won :)
Winning feels good.
Let's go on a winning streak and feel better.
Houston got beat down by LSU and Arkansas pretty good. Definitely not impossible to beat them.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good job beating an ok team by 12

Need to get this one at Houston to help the resume
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:

I'm not convinced of that. I'm not a doctor, either, so that is my disclaimer. But even 4 weeks seems like an absurdly long time unless he completely tore the thing. He wanted to get cortisone and play tonight. Good luck keeping that man off the court for four weeks.
Be convinced. Trust me.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maybe that will end up being the case, but even if he told you that personally I wouldn't be convinced.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rodfromcranston wrote:FWIW, Dan once told me he doesn't read the board.
listen to talk radio.
Sorry Rod there is no way as a head coach I would not read (or assign someone on my staff to read ) an active team message board. I would view it as another resource in my bag of tricks. Of course discourage players from reading but as active as many of our players are on social media I promise you many of them scan the forums too.

Personally, I always assume my posts are being read by the target which is why I try to step away a bit when I'm extremely disappointed ( like the previous 2 IMHO inexcusable losses )

Having also played and coached a lot of ball I know how much more difficult the game is when your legs are done and your brain is mush.....so I always have that in mind when I post, thus I rarely blame players. I keep in mind that these are elite athletes that have achieved a high level D1 scholarship - 2 of my kids played D3 sports and I know how hard that was. D1 is a whole different game!

So yeah I cring a bit when some posters crush our players but the frustration of the previous games was immense. We will learn a lot about this group from the Texas trip.

I still think this can be an elite club. I was very optimistic last night hearing Hurley's attitude.

Let's open up that book and learn and run a couple plays!

Oh and feed the ball to Berry !!!

Go Rhody
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hey guys, all of us had the same number of points, assists, blocks, and steals Kuran had combined last night. Zero. :roll: :roll: :roll:

On a Serious note though, he has to figure it out STAT if we want to make a run at the tournament.
0 x
Go Rhody