Game 9: Old Dominion 12/6 7pm Ryan Center

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Re: Game 9: Old Dominion 12/6 7pm Ryan Center

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Hurley may not read this board but he does have an active Twitter. I would think his curiosity gets the best of him and he checks the alerts every time he gets them. As for players, Jarvis certainly does read Twitter. Anytime I mention him on my Twitter he likes it (it's never said anything bad about him lol).
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

hrstrat57, you are 100% right.
I've gotten calls from people at URI worrying about something I said on a board.
I've been accused of trying to have an assistant fired,
despite the fact that was totally false.
I've had an AAU coach tell me our remarks about a recruit were being
read by the kid and his family.
Anyone remember Mike Powell's father coming on here to defend his son's
playing ability?
Dan said someone else runs his Twitter account. Probably someone in the
Athletic Department.
So, maybe Dan himself doesn't read this board, but players, parents, family, and friends do.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I'm sure Hurley doesn't read this board but I'm also sure word gets around and he hears what fans are saying. Also the opinions that are expressed on here are most likely shared by others who aren't members of this board, I think I lurked on here for at least 4 years before even making an account. Anyone who gets overly upset at what's said on a message board probably should stay off the board.

Back to the game, I liked Hurley's comments in the post game show for the most part but I couldn't help but feel like he kept using the early road games as an excuse. Unfortunately if he hasn't realized that's one of the issues with the a10. If you want a decent SOS you're going to need to set up home and homes with decent teams which might lead to playing early in the season road games. That's part of the issue I have with the Holy Cross home and home. At least ODU, Valpo and Houston you had a pretty good idea that they wouldn't be 200+ RPI teams. Next year we'll have to play at Holy Cross potentially early in the season which could turn into a difficult road game against a 200+ RPI team.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So we lose two close road games, one to our rival , fall out of the top 25, and on the day after we play a CUSA opponent and PC kills Brown in a semi rivalry, there's a huge picture of Stan, and "Rams Get Stingy" in big bold letters on the front of the sports page.

Meanwhile, PCs thrashing of Brown is below our article, with a picture of Kalif Young about a quarter of the size of Stan.

I'm not defending the projo by any means, but if people on this board are going to crush them when PC is the headliner and we aren't, I think it's fair to mention today's Sports page, where I believe PCs matchup with Brown deserved top billing over our rock fight.
2 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Oh yes. Praise the Projo!!!!!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ProJo....corded telephone...banks only open M-F 8-4 and no ATM's....phone booths...kodak prints...rolling down car windows with a crank...what's the diff?

Would be interesting to see how many on this board look at the ProJo on a regular basis...just a w.a.g. and I might be waay off...but would venture quite a bit less than half?

And, calling last night's game a rock fight is probably an insult...to rock fights :lol:
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I read it online to catch up with local news.
The Projo used to be a pretty good newspaper, when
guys like John Hanlon and Tony Lioce wrote for them.
When I turned 12, I asked my parents for a subscription.
Newspapers were the prime source of news, before the internet.
Stories covered in depth, more than TV news could provide.
Different world, now.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:hrstrat57, you are 100% right.
I've gotten calls from people at URI worrying about something I said on a board.
I've been accused of trying to have an assistant fired,
despite the fact that was totally false.
I've had an AAU coach tell me our remarks about a recruit were being
read by the kid and his family.
Anyone remember Mike Powell's father coming on here to defend his son's
playing ability?
Dan said someone else runs his Twitter account. Probably someone in the
Athletic Department.
So, maybe Dan himself doesn't read this board, but players, parents, family, and friends do.
This is all true. But, that same recruit or recruit's dad is going to read every other message board of schools they are looking at. And all message boards are insane. I guess if the kid wants to go to Amherst College, don't worry about the pressure, and enjoy being a Lord Jeff. Any top 200 D-1 school is going to talk about the recruit. Really, though, if that's gonna bother you, so is a man press at the end of a close game. Go hang out with the kids who didn't want to take their exams because Trump won.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:I read it online to catch up with local news.
Different world, now.
I hear ya, growing up in ME, there used to be a morning paper (Portland Press Herald) and an evening paper (Portland) Evening Express). In college at UNH, would almost daily get the Boston Globe and Boston Enquirer, I mean Herald - solely for the sports news. Peter Gammons' weekly baseball column - a serious treasure - was always in high demand at the frat house every Sunday. Don't think I've bought 5 newspapers in the last 5 years. Only exception is flying...a Wall Street Journal can make a couple hour flight go by pretty quick..and (usually) keep me from getting any dumber at the same time...
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Different world, now.
I hear ya, growing up in ME, there used to be a morning paper (Portland Press Herald) and an evening paper (Portland) Evening Express). In college at UNH, would almost daily get the Boston Globe and Boston Enquirer, I mean Herald - solely for the sports news. Peter Gammons' weekly baseball column - a serious treasure - was always in high demand at the frat house every Sunday. Don't think I've bought 5 newspapers in the last 5 years. Only exception is flying...a Wall Street Journal can make a couple hour flight go by pretty quick..and (usually) keep me from getting any dumber at the same time...
Anyone remember The National? I was in high school when it came out and it was the best if you were a sports nut. Read that list of editors and writers. Crazy. And guys like Mike Lupica when they were in their prime. Not the cartoon figures they are now. Box scores all over the place. Color before most newspapers changed over from black and white. Do I like being able to pull up a video or box score on my phone? No doubt. But, man, there was nothing like finding out the next day how everything went the night before.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Different world, now.
Anyone remember The National? I was in high school when it came out and it was the best if you were a sports nut. Read that list of editors and writers. Crazy. And guys like Mike Lupica when they were in their prime. Not the cartoon figures they are now. Box scores all over the place. Color before most newspapers changed over from black and white. Do I like being able to pull up a video or box score on my phone? No doubt. But, man, there was nothing like finding out the next day how everything went the night before.
Or...how about running a fantasy league solely based off next day box scores from a newspaper...
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Or...how about running a fantasy league solely based off next day box scores from a newspaper...
That's funny. We'd all harass a buddy of mine to fax out the scores once he got the Tuesday morning USA today.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I loved The Sporting News.
They printed every box score from the week or so before,
and articles and rumors about every team.
Great columnists, too.
Nobody writes sports like the old time sports writers.
You could follow who was hot and who was not.
In those days, the NL was a mystery league.
Only saw them during the All Star game (much bigger deal than now)
and World Series.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ah yes...the print media back then...other than radio and TV, the biggest source of info out there......they shaped the political scene for the most part....now it's all social media....what have you just done 10 seconds ago.....social media helped elect that dope that will be the president next month.....the "dumbing down" of America.....sorry for the ot, couldn't help myself there.....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

I'm one of these "millennial" types you hear about on the news and such, and I subscribe to the weekend/online Projo. Know a few other people my age and even younger who pick it up coupla times a week on the regular. To be honest, aside from schlocky local TV news, I haven't really found any other decent sources for keeping up with local news. The Providence-based AM stations do some news, but its mostly just chatter and call-ins. RIPR has some good sounding stuff but they have no local shows during the day. GoLocalProv literally reads like it was written by middle schoolers...from the remedial class...which they failed.

So while I often find the Projo deficient, it's still kind of the only game in town.
Last edited by Puck Frovidence 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

^starred because it warms the cockles of my heart that millennials (in RI!) are interested in the news.

I'm on the very very edge of millennial, but I subscribe to the Times and WSJ (online) and the paper Globe, not just because I want to know about stuff but because the newspaper industry is in peril and they do all the hard work of reporting on the world, the country and our communities, so I consider it a civic duty to make sure they stay in business.

Subscribe to at least one paper.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Same for me I was called stat boy I did the fantasy scores with the box scores then mail or fax the point totals. This was mid 90s oh how things have changed
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I have read daily newspapers for over 50 years. Unfortunately, the Projo is probably the worst paper of the bunch.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

People sadly no longer patronize newspapers. They like to get their information from the fake news outlets and stupidly actually believe it is all true.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And that's why the country is in the mess it's in right now....with a clown about to be president.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This government was a circus long before Trump got elected. Who signed off on a $4 billion buy of 2 airplanes? Probably the same ass clown who bought those $15k toilet seats. Trump in one tweet can dump a stock. Be careful what you invest in.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know this is o.t., but I hope someone's minding the store when dumbass spends all his time tweeting.....say what you will about Obama, but he's VERY concerned about clownshoe's total lack of knowledge of what it takes to be President.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Boeing lost half a billion in value by one tweet. And it should. Trump was asked why he is micro managing. He said it's what he was elected for.To negotiate. This is our money being ripped off. You may think he doesn't have the knowledge. But who does? Not like you can get a degree in Presidential Affairs. But word to the wise, we may increase defense spending, but it would be wise to temper your investment in those companies. The gravy train is ending.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Like with everything trump says you guys may want to fact check first. There has actually only been $150million contracted for that plane so far and that number was kind of a potential down the road.

And if you guys think Hurley reads this board in season between watching film for the next game, practicing, and dealing with players you have lost your minds more than I though You have.

Players on the other hand might...which is somethkng to think about.

But no way Hurley cares what anyone here thinks or says..the bottom line is no matter what he knows a billion times more about basketball than confidently everyone here. With the exceptions of rod's uri basketball history and the boards consensus that Andre Berry should play more.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bozo talks [or tweets] first, then thinks......the next 4 years will be unlike anything ever experienced in this country's history...if some of you don't think so just wait......

it's going to take a lot longer than 4 years to fix the mess that's left.....
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

$150 million was for a review of construction. Man, would I love that contract. Nothing to do but discuss what kind of toilet to put in a plane.
Hurley absolutely cares what is said on this board. If he doesn't then he is not listening to the fanbase.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hurley also knows what we see he sees......what he's going to do about it is another story.....

He knows his half court offense sucks....but it continues unabated......if it isn't fixed...we lose

He continues to think going to the slowdown game late in games will work.....against teams that can shoot [unlike ODU] it hasn't worked and it won't, not with this group.....we stop moving, we stop scoring....every time....

No coherent strategy, no "plays" that work in crunch time......and nothing changes
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bone, I think he heard that. Will he do something about it is the question.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

! Message from: ATPTourFan
First and last reminder that we have a politics thread.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

but, but, Bone started it. hahaha. Where can I get one of those alerts ATP?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So back to this actual game...

In the GoRhody post-game summary, it says the last time Rhody held an opponent under 40 points was in 2005 vs Boston University (I remember listening to that game on the radio).
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......according to the local Indepent today , had an SKPD report of fan being disruptive at/during the game, is banned from future games, and according to athletic dept staff, this fan writes letters to coach Hurley regarding the games.....the weird gets going and then turns pro.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Is this the same disturbed person who used to show up to the radio show and yell at Hurley?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote:Is this the same disturbed person who used to show up to the radio show and yell at Hurley?
.....do not know, the SKPD piece did not include name nor any prior activity other than letters...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ok Keaneyblue, who of you was it??

Pretty sure we hold a monopoly on disgruntled Ram fans.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This would probably be a more entertaining guessing game than the ones Obadiah runs at the beginning of the year.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Actually, ATP, we do NOT have a monopoly of
disgruntled URI fans.
Just listen to some people leaving the Ryan Center after
a tough loss.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

The crowd leaving the ODU game was far from impressed and that was after a win.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Uninformed crowd.
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

ATP, that may be true, but those are exactly the fans that need to be impressed if attendance is expected to increase.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

UCH21377 wrote:ATP, that may be true, but those are exactly the fans that need to be impressed if attendance is expected to increase.
Exactly. That game was ugly. Hard core fans like us might not mind a defensive battle when it results in a win. The average fan likes a little excitement. Ugly offense and a slow game is not exciting to the average fan. So.....where's that promise of playing fast and RUN! RUN! RUN! ???
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I know plenty of casual college hoops fans and none are impressed with Rhody at the moment. I also know a good number of casual Rhody hoops fans and most are already disinterested and some are just disgruntled, season ticket holders skipping games already, the whole gambit. And this is exactly what I was talking about when I said we had to stay in (and/or at least around) the top 25 all season. It's revenue lost never to be recovered. If we were still in the top 25 then this ODU win would have felt whole lot less ugly. Those that want to stay positive and rationalize, well that's fine, but you have to understand where those of us who are on the unimpressed to disgusted part of the spectrum are coming from, WE WANT OUR PROGRAM TO BE EXCELLENT! not fighting to stay on the bubble, not always one rung below expectations and not in the shadow of PC, UConn or any other program in the northeast. Got it?!?!!
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Are you saying that the rest of us don't want the same things?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......the last two sentences in the RR post; wouldn't it be great to be involved with a program where the AD had the top to bottom support, resources, and commitment to hold a coaching staff accountable to exactly that program standard.....,and of course graduate student athletes without any NCAA sanctions.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
UCH21377 wrote:ATP, that may be true, but those are exactly the fans that need to be impressed if attendance is expected to increase.
Exactly. That game was ugly. Hard core fans like us might not mind a defensive battle when it results in a win. The average fan likes a little excitement. Ugly offense and a slow game is not exciting to the average fan. So.....where's that promise of playing fast and RUN! RUN! RUN! ???
I consider myself a hard core fan...no other way to put it...that game sucked to watch....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I hope the guy that got banned from the games doesn't post on this great forum
0 x