Berry?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Berry?

Unread post by ramster »

15 Year Lurker wrote:You guys are really losing it if you actually gave for a second the "hurley doesn't play him because he played hs basketball in RI" line any consideration...and then added 10 posts to it.

Meltdown and misinformation is what message board land is best at.

We've lost two games by like 5 points and then lost to Duke...not sure what everyone expected...maybe I just don't buy into all the hype. I guess people just buy into the hype and think these are Jim Harrick level players..which they aren't.

But yea I want him to play too.
The posters on this board did not vote the Rams into the Top 25, or put them into the rankings in all the Pre Season publications. You had, and I assume still do, have posters here who didn't want the Pre Season publicity. So the publicity is what it is. It's like the Berry doesn't play because Hurley doesn't like Rhode Islanders, it's like Trump tweets and re-tweets. It's noise. But it is fun to have the Team in the Top 25 - but now that is over so the hype from that is done.

I predicted 3 losses. I should be the most pissed off person on the Board, but far from it. Those how thought we would be far less of a performing team are the most frustrated. I was crushed by the PC loss, but the Cincinnati win was bigger than a win over Valpo or PC would have been. Given my choice Cincinnati was a huge win. If for no other reason but to get a change at Duke. In the long run, a loss to Duke is better for our team than a win over Penn State. If we were 7-1 or 8-0 right now, the press, fans, most KB Board Posters, local TV, Students, and more would be giddy over the Rams. Better to expose the weaknesses early and all the warts now than to expose them in the A10 League play, or worse still the NCAA Tournament and get blown out by 30. It hurts now but it was inevitable

I would even rather hear the Coaching criticism now than to postpone it to March.

People should ask DH these many questions they have instead of drowning the Board in them.
- Why don't you play Berry? Will you ever?
- Do you have any plans to change the inbound the ball strategy now or in the near future? If not, why not?
- Are you actively recruiting any Rhode Island prospects?
- How is the Free Throw shooting psychologist doing? How much did the psychologist impact Hassan Martin's remarkable improvement? How much was it Hassan himself?
- How would you rate your Coaching performance so far this year?
- etc

Have someone from KeaneyBlue read off the questions.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote:
15 Year Lurker wrote:You guys are really losing it if you actually gave for a second the "hurley doesn't play him because he played hs basketball in RI" line any consideration...and then added 10 posts to it.

We've lost two games by like 5 points and then lost to Duke...not sure what everyone expected...maybe I just don't buy into all the hype. I guess people just buy into the hype and think these are Jim Harrick level players..which they aren't.

The posters on this board did not vote the Rams into the Top 25, or put them into the rankings in all the Pre Season publications. You had, and I assume still do, have posters here who didn't want the Pre Season publicity. So the publicity is what it is. It's like the Berry doesn't play because Hurley doesn't like Rhode Islanders, it's like Trump tweets and re-tweets. It's noise. But it is fun to have the Team in the Top 25 - but now that is over so the hype from that is done.

I predicted 3 losses. I should be the most pissed off person on the Board, but far from it. Those how thought we would be far less of a performing team are the most frustrated. I was crushed by the PC loss, but the Cincinnati win was bigger than a win over Valpo or PC would have been. Given my choice Cincinnati was a huge win. If for no other reason but to get a change at Duke. In the long run, a loss to Duke is better for our team than a win over Penn State. If we were 7-1 or 8-0 right now, the press, fans, most KB Board Posters, local TV, Students, and more would be giddy over the Rams. Better to expose the weaknesses early and all the warts now than to expose them in the A10 League play, or worse still the NCAA Tournament and get blown out by 30. It hurts now but it was inevitable

I would even rather hear the Coaching criticism now than to postpone it to March.

People should ask DH these many questions they have instead of drowning the Board in them.
- Do you have any plans to change the inbound the ball strategy now or in the near future? If not, why not?
- How is the Free Throw shooting psychologist doing? How much did the psychologist impact Hassan Martin's remarkable improvement? How much was it Hassan himself?
- etc

Why do you hate Rhode Island children? That offends me because I am the father of Rhode Island children. ....KIDDING!
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Yes,certain Berrys not playing and staff not going to RI HS tourney same weekend are just coincidental.
Definite if DH felt attending tourney or playing Berry were important he would have done so,

HK-when you need to know!!
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

ramster wrote:Then why did Hurley offer him a scholarship in the first place? Wouldn't it have made sense of DH did not like RI players that he would never offer? Why would he let a RI kid that he was not going to play because he was from RI take up a Scholarship?

Many of these questions should be collected and then asked at the next DH gathering. We could nominate one person to represent the KB Board.
I hereby nominate Rod as the first ever Keaney Blue questioning representative. I think a live-streamed 1 on 1 Q&A would be most appropriate.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Uh, Rod isn't talking to them anymore.....leave it at that.....

If I did it, they wouldn't be talking to me afterwards either.....I wouldn't be throwing softball questions if you know what I mean....

Would be great to get Chris DiSano's take on this....in private.......

M Laprey and Chris read this board regularly......so they know how we feel......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:

- etc

Why do you hate Rhode Island children? That offends me because I am the father of Rhode Island children. ....KIDDING!

Aren't Dan's kids.playing sports in RI? Hope he still likes them...lol
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

pretty sure this thread is evidence of this board jumping the shark.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote:pretty sure this thread is evidence of this board jumping the shark.
sorry I'm dumb.....what does this mean?
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

ramster wrote:
Running Ram wrote:pretty sure this thread is evidence of this board jumping the shark.

Reference to Fonzi jumping shark filled water in the late episodes of Happy Days. Was deemed the point where the series was done. The term was made famous by one of Howard Stern's guys Jon Hein who created and sold a website by that name.

Hit em with the Heeeeeein!!!!!!
Last edited by Mongo 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mongo wrote:
ramster wrote:

Reference to Fonzi jumping shark filled water in the late episodes of Happy Days. Was deemed the point where the series was done. The term was made famous by one of Howard Stern's guys Jon Hein who created and sold a website by that name.

Hit em with the Heeeeeein!!!!!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Mongo wrote: Hit em with the Heeeeeein!!!!!!
Yes!!! Hit em with the Heeeeeiiiinnn!!!!!!!! Love it!

Mongo just became my favorite poster on the board.
Last edited by adam914 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I knew this place was going to be bad this week and haven't spent much time here. But you guys running with Hal Kopp's latest crackpot theory that he claims inside info on is just too much. The guy is a known clown who makes a broken clock look like the world's most accurate form of measurement and assessment. You guys seriously need to take all the deep breaths and maybe sit out a post or two.
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well, it sounds like Berry will get his chance if the Hassan news is true. Assuming he can trick Dan into thinking he isn't from RI of course (which he isn't, which is my favorite part of this whole thing).
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:Well, it sounds like Berry will get his chance if the Hassan news is true. Assuming he can trick Dan into thinking he isn't from RI of course (which he isn't, which is my favorite part of this whole thing).
Yes, while not playing 'because he's from Rhode Island, which he isn't' is good stuff...I don't think it's quite as good as last year's 'burden of having imaginary kids' story... :lol:
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
adam914 wrote:Well, it sounds like Berry will get his chance if the Hassan news is true. Assuming he can trick Dan into thinking he isn't from RI of course (which he isn't, which is my favorite part of this whole thing).
Yes, while not playing 'because he's from Rhode Island, which he isn't' is good stuff...I don't think it's quite as good as last year's 'burden of having imaginary kids' story... :lol:
Oh wow I totally forgot about that one. Definitely an all-time favorite.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Andre Berry 4 offensive rebounds. He has an insane knack for that O Reb. 16 minutes played. 1 offensive rebound every 4 minutes. Throw in the stress he puts on the defense and the guys that got O Rebs through Berry's efforts.

Also, why does Berry always look great 1-on-1 in the post on defense? OF course I'm saying this with limited viewing because the Berry dont bloom year round.

I ask myself if this can be the season the Berry blooms. We're hungry!!!
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Need more Berry, the crowd loves him too.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I fully expected everyone to freak out over Berry tonight, surprised to not see more posts in this thread. The truth is, he played ok, but the kid can't even jump more than an inch. He does have good hands, but he got out rebounded a few times by 6'4" guards.

I didn't really see the great post play that others saw. I remember one nice layup on a post pass that came from the defender literally falling on the ground.

None of this is to say that there is no place on the team for him at all, I would be fine with him getting minutes in spurts, but he didn't do anything to wow me tonight.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good to see him contribute we will need it
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I mentioned on the other threads that IMO his defense was solid. I was standing next to a few guys from VA. They were impressed, called him a "space eater". Guys like Berry are valuable for just that reason. He can barely jump. But when he defends down low, he is strong, and opponents cannot exert their will easily. He cannot be pushed around, like Iverson can. Obviously if a guy is 6'10" and skilled he would have problems, but that's not what we will see in the A10.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....21377; exactly, like how he walls up and defends his turf, of course he will get some fouls called against him doing that, but that's what officials do.....like his offensive board capability....like his soft hands and put backs around the hoop.....giving us a few minutes of having a different look at the five....don't get me started on the need for a five position player in the A-10.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

One thing interesting about a kid that size is on a fast break. I noticed 2-3 times where Berry would run the floor and act as a human snow plow, where EC would follow and have a more open lane to the basket. I like Berry as a player especially rebounding, and does have a great seal and drop step move under the hoop.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

The ability to just seal out the help defender in the lane when there is someone driving is incredibly underrated. Berry did a decent job at that a few times last night. He also could have very easily scored a few more times and just left the hooks short. He did a great job at just bodying stith and keeping his hands up. That is all you need to do when you are his size. Positional defense and keeping your guy from his spots can be just as effective as blocking the shots. Pleased with Berry. Expect to see more from him with Hass out.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

adam914 wrote:I fully expected everyone to freak out over Berry tonight, surprised to not see more posts in this thread. The truth is, he played ok, but the kid can't even jump more than an inch. He does have good hands, but he got out rebounded a few times by 6'4" guards.

I didn't really see the great post play that others saw. I remember one nice layup on a post pass that came from the defender literally falling on the ground.

None of this is to say that there is no place on the team for him at all, I would be fine with him getting minutes in spurts, but he didn't do anything to wow me tonight.
I feel the same way. I still think it's his lack of athleticism that keeps him on the bench. As you said, he can barely jump. I'm not even sure if he can dunk the ball and he's 6'8".

He's got some decent moves around the basket but I think he's also fortunate that teams can't prepare for him as well because he's hardly played. Either way he's at the very least earned some minutes especially with Hassan not being able to play. It's a scary thought that right now that Akele and Berry look like our best offensive weapons for big men. Need Kuran to start playing better.

Also for those who are talking about Berry's defense it's worth noting that Old Dominion is one of the worst offensive teams in the country. Their field goal percentage is ranked 343 out of 347. That includes last night but I think prior to last night they were 341. Berry looked alright on D but you have to remember the competition he was going against.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

He missed layups and putbacks more than I've ever seen from him last night.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, he can dunk.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:He missed layups and putbacks more than I've ever seen from him last night.
Yeah agreed. Maybe it is from not seeing much game action lately, hard to know for sure. We'll see how he does from here, he'll certainly get his chances for a while.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

The first few games he looked worse in terms of shooting and accuracy than last night. Made the comment to Ram1019 that I could see why Hurley benched him for a bit after those showings, but I don't think it warranted a 4 game hiatus.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

When he looks good, he reminds me of a poor man's Craig Smith.

guess the hope is he can give 7-10 minutes of that a game. He's got the bulk and hands to at least do a Craig Smith impression in spurts.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Also, I'll mention again that Langevine, although athletic and a decent rebounded, was totally undersized vs ODU and had a lot of trouble. That's when Berry would come in.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

I think its interesting that people keep saying Langevine is undersized as he is bigger and taller than Hassan.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody Guy wrote:I think its interesting that people keep saying Langevine is undersized as he is bigger and taller than Hassan.
Is he really though? I know he is listed as taller, but it seemed to me last night when he was next to EC a few times they were about the same height. Now that could be the horrible camera angles making it look deceiving but I was wondering this during the game last night.

Of course he is still a freshman to, so once he fills out and gets stronger it makes a big difference. It's crazy to look back at Hassan as a freshman compared to now.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Cyril is already strong. His body is college ready. His game just needs to catch up to his body, especially offensively, just as Hassan needed to as a freshman.
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Tough ?s and Sharks

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Two things...

1. I asked a few tough questions in my first interview with Coach Hurley, and he was upset. Ironically a short time later he was here in Arizona to play the Wildcats and we talked and everything was good. Not being a sports journalist, I didn't realize most local sports guys don't ask legit questions. I caught grief for asking things that were being said on this board.

2. On Jumping the shark...the very cool "Fonz" had this to say about it (at 6:00)

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=henry%2 ... 0powertalk
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

adam914 wrote:
Rhody Guy wrote:I think its interesting that people keep saying Langevine is undersized as he is bigger and taller than Hassan.
Is he really though? I know he is listed as taller, but it seemed to me last night when he was next to EC a few times they were about the same height. Now that could be the horrible camera angles making it look deceiving but I was wondering this during the game last night.

Of course he is still a freshman to, so once he fills out and gets stronger it makes a big difference. It's crazy to look back at Hassan as a freshman compared to now.
I remember seeing a picture of them in the beginning of the year where it was obvious and when they are standing in line for the anthem it is apparent also.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody Guy wrote:
adam914 wrote:

I remember seeing a picture of them in the beginning of the year where it was obvious and when they are standing in line for the anthem it is apparent also.
Oh ok, good to know. It seemed weird to me when I saw it last night, so makes sense.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Anyone else notice how big Hurley's smile was when Berry scored his first basket? Biggest I've seen him smile all year.

Makes me wonder if he's read this thread... :D
0 x
Go Rhody
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Rhody15-indeed !! Hurley most likely reads my posts.
When HK speaks-people listen!!
They mocked Columbus too.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

I thought the same thing 15. It was like he was thinking "F*** now I'm going to have to put up with more Berry criticism from everyone"
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: Tough ?s and Sharks

Unread post by Running Ram »

RhodeIslandRams wrote:Two things...

1. I asked a few tough questions in my first interview with Coach Hurley, and he was upset. Ironically a short time later he was here in Arizona to play the Wildcats and we talked and everything was good. Not being a sports journalist, I didn't realize most local sports guys don't ask legit questions. I caught grief for asking things that were being said on this board.

2. On Jumping the shark...the very cool "Fonz" had this to say about it (at 6:00)

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=henry%2 ... 0powertalk
Nice interview with the "Fonz" here.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'