Berry?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Berry?

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

What is Hurleys deal with never playing Berry?
Anyone know??
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Berry?

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I guess unless you're Dikembe Mutombo on defense, you don;t see the floor.
No Berry, no Laysard.
Who needs bigs who can score, when you can play four guards,
two who can't hit the ocean with a beach ball?
You can use defense as a default excuse all you want.
If these players are THAT deficient, then
WHY WERE THEY RECRUITED?
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Zen question: If you have "quality depth," and never use it, do you really have quality depth?

Maybe if Berry hunches over and tells Dan that now he is a guard, he may get in a game.
9 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

ramfan85 wrote: Maybe if Berry hunches over and tells Dan that now he is a guard, he may get in a game.
This made me :lol:
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Makes no sense that we have a solid offensive big on the bench that literally never plays.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......seems like Berry's seat on the bench is so far away from the coach, he would have to text/tweet that info....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This continues a long held tradition of assuming that anyone who doesn't play, transfers or chooses another school would be the savior. According to this board, a team of Berry, Reischel, Gustys, and Butler would win the national championship.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:This continues a long held tradition of assuming that anyone who doesn't play, transfers or chooses another school would be the savior. According to this board, a team of Berry, Reischel, Gustys, and Butler would win the national championship.
Exactly...well, 'cept you'd need one more guy ;)
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Can't you play with 4?
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
adam914 wrote:This continues a long held tradition of assuming that anyone who doesn't play, transfers or chooses another school would be the savior. According to this board, a team of Berry, Reischel, Gustys, and Butler would win the national championship.
Exactly...well, 'cept you'd need one more guy ;)
That's easy. Jordan Hare
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nope, those guys are so damn good they would win it all with 4. They would play nothing but zone, of course.
Last edited by adam914 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But what about Free Throw shooting?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:Nope, those guys are so damn good they would win it all with 4. They would play nothing but zone, of course.
Good point. And who cares about FT's when you're winning every game by 20+?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Berry hasn't played a bad game. Think about that. With a coach reluctant to play him and a team falling apart around him he played great last year. Each opportunity.

What does Berry do for an encore? lose like 50 pounds. No respect to not play Berry. At this point I'm not sure it matters what Dan wants to do because its been unsuccessful for 5 years. Dan has to shift some things. He has to coach from the jump to win the game. He doesn't do that. Not in my opinion. I think he sees certain points in the game and just rolls out his plan he made before the game. He doesn't react to what the other team or what his team is doing very well at all. Not in the moment.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

When we look absolutely lost on offense why not try to put in a guy who has shown he can score. Hurley said it after the game "we need to make more baskets". When given the chance Berry does. He doesn't miss wide open layups like I've seen this season. I'm not asking for him to get a ton of minutes, but 0 makes no sense. We need to do something different.
Last edited by steveystuds06 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We need to make more baskets? DH gets the obvious award for the week......Holy hand grenade Batman.......

I remember a certain coach of ours who made basically the same comment..."We gotta put the bawl in the bucket"...or something like that....
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

The bigger the Berry, the sweeter the juice.
I said this last year and I'm saying it again.
I hereby dub Berry "The Juice"...free "The Juice"....SET "THE JUICE" LOOSE!!!!
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

The Dude wrote:The bigger the Berry, the sweeter the juice.
I said this last year and I'm saying it again.
I hereby dub Berry "The Juice"...free "The Juice"....SET "THE JUICE" LOOSE!!!!
Could be sign material right there.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Berry can't be any worse than Iverson on defense......what the hell?
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Do it. Do it.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes get Berry some minutes the kid can contribute on offense
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Heard DH does not like Berry because played HS ball in RI?
DH has low opinion of RI HS hoops?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

wtf
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

ATP-the 84-85 FB championship teams-1/3rd were from RI.
Question is how many played at one time?
( I believe the bias)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hal Kopp wrote:Heard DH does not like Berry because played HS ball in RI?
Might explain why we didn't have anyone watching Swider yesterday in the prep tourney right here in RI. All those other schools must be wrong, including Cooley and PC.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need more GOOD big men, and soon.......or else we'll be playing 4 guards all the time next season.......
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

WE NEED MORE CONSPIRACY THEORIES!!!!!
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hal Kopp wrote:Heard DH does not like Berry because played HS ball in RI?
There's about a 99.999% that is not true.

Make's no sense, and it's not like Berry played in the RIIL. He played in one of the best prep conferences in the country.

Plus, ya know, Berry actually has shown to put the ball in the hoop, something we need.

Doesn't matter if Berry played HS basketball on the moon, if he can play, he can play.
0 x
Go Rhody
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

For 84-85 FB the answer is two at home,one on the road and three when you are behind!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Then why did Hurley offer him a scholarship in the first place? Wouldn't it have made sense of DH did not like RI players that he would never offer? Why would he let a RI kid that he was not going to play because he was from RI take up a Scholarship?

Many of these questions should be collected and then asked at the next DH gathering. We could nominate one person to represent the KB Board.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Getting a schollie and not playing 2 different things.
Nobody went to RI prep tourney from staff per B Boy?
Not surprised.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:WE NEED MORE CONSPIRACY THEORIES!!!!!
Can you explain why we had zero representation at a prep tourney involving some of the top players in New England at a location (Barrington) about 45 minutes from Kingston? PC thought enough of the talent to have 3 coaches there, including Cooley. Unless kids like Swider and Duke (RI kids) have already told Dan they have no interest in URI, I see no reason why they shouldn't be there.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Berry isn't a Rhode Island kid.

He's from NY, prepped in RI, did not play against RI teams, and then went to JC across the country.

Calling Berry a Rhode Island kid is like calling Jared Terrell a New Hampshire kid.
1 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:WE NEED MORE CONSPIRACY THEORIES!!!!!
Can you explain why we had zero representation at a prep tourney involving some of the top players in New England at a location (Barrington) about 45 minutes from Kingston? PC thought enough of the talent to have 3 coaches there, including Cooley. Unless kids like Swider and Duke (RI kids) have already told Dan they have no interest in URI, I see no reason why they shouldn't be there.
I can't, I do not decide where the coaches spend their time.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy, that might be the case.......or maybe Dan has switched the recruiting emphasis to bigs......we need warm bodies to play the frontcourt.....and maybe one or two of the new guys aren't the answer already?

It's beginning to look more and more likely that we could pick up a transfer or 5th year big with experience.....needed badly
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

You guys are really losing it if you actually gave for a second the "hurley doesn't play him because he played hs basketball in RI" line any consideration...and then added 10 posts to it.

Meltdown and misinformation is what message board land is best at.

We've lost two games by like 5 points and then lost to Duke...not sure what everyone expected...maybe I just don't buy into all the hype. I guess people just buy into the hype and think these are Jim Harrick level players..which they aren't.

But yea I want him to play too.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So since we have no direct explanation on why they weren't there, you guys are choosing to just go with the "he hates RI kids" reason?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:Berry isn't a Rhode Island kid.

He's from NY, prepped in RI, did not play against RI teams, and then went to JC across the country.

Calling Berry a Rhode Island kid is like calling Jared Terrell a New Hampshire kid.
Well then that certainly throws out the hearsay quoted earlier in this thread that Hurley is not playing him because he is a RI kid huh?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

15 year lurker, we have 2 that are playing Harrick level.....the 12 and 32.......the rest are somewhere south of that....

But crap, PLAY SR and Cyril and Akele and CT..........give them a chance, they are playing better than the other starters....even JG needs to play better

imo this RI kid discussion is ridiculous......
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Guys, just got a hot scoop. I found out why Hurley plays Iverson so much even though he hasn't been playing very well. You see Iverson is from Hartford, and there was this one time where Hurley was driving through Hartford and his favorite song came on the radio. He has very fond memories of rocking out the whole way through the city. So he has become very fond of thinking about Hartford and by playing Iverson all the time it allows him to think back to that night.

We have no other explanation as to why he plays Iverson so much, therefore this now must be treated as fact.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:15 year lurker, we have 2 that are playing Harrick level.....the 12 and 32.......the rest are somewhere south of that....

But crap, PLAY SR and Cyril and Akele and CT..........give them a chance, they are playing better than the other starters....even JG needs to play better

imo this RI kid discussion is ridiculous......
:o :o :o
We agree on something!!!!!!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not saying Dan hates RI kids. Somebody else said that. I'm just wondering why we didn't have anyone in Barrington yesterday. A recruiting trip that would cost a half a tank of gas and maybe lunch seems like a good investment. PC certainly thought so.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Does seem strange...maybe Dan now realizes that he and his staff need to address this building dumpster fire.....spend as much time as possible trying to fix this.....
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

adam914 wrote:Guys, just got a hot scoop. I found out why Hurley plays Iverson so much even though he hasn't been playing very well. You see Iverson is from Hartford, and there was this one time where Hurley was driving through Hartford and his favorite song came on the radio. He has very fond memories of rocking out the whole way through the city. So he has become very fond of thinking about Hartford and by playing Iverson all the time it allows him to think back to that night.

We have no other explanation as to why he plays Iverson so much, therefore this now must be treated as fact.

No song in the world is ever going to make me feel good about driving on route 84 through Hartford. Lol
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramfan85 wrote:
adam914 wrote:Guys, just got a hot scoop. I found out why Hurley plays Iverson so much even though he hasn't been playing very well. You see Iverson is from Hartford, and there was this one time where Hurley was driving through Hartford and his favorite song came on the radio. He has very fond memories of rocking out the whole way through the city. So he has become very fond of thinking about Hartford and by playing Iverson all the time it allows him to think back to that night.

No song in the world is ever going to make me feel good about driving on route 84 through Hartford. Lol
Haha, fair point. Born and raised in the New Haven area here, so I have no love for Hartford myself!
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm not saying Dan hates RI kids. Somebody else said that. I'm just wondering why we didn't have anyone in Barrington yesterday. A recruiting trip that would cost a half a tank of gas and maybe lunch seems like a good investment. PC certainly thought so.
You responded to the post about it by saying "Might explain why we didn't have anyone watching Swider yesterday". That to me sure sounds like you are at least considering the theory that he hates RI kids.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I'm not saying Dan hates RI kids. Somebody else said that. I'm just wondering why we didn't have anyone in Barrington yesterday. A recruiting trip that would cost a half a tank of gas and maybe lunch seems like a good investment. PC certainly thought so.
You responded to the post about it by saying "Might explain why we didn't have anyone watching Swider yesterday". That to me sure sounds like you are at least considering the theory that he hates RI kids.
Nope, not what I was inferring. And I don't think it's unreasonable to question why we had no representation at a local tourney in which several of our supposed recruits are playing. I'm one of the few who still hopes Dan is here for a long time. That doesn't mean I can't question some of his or the staff's decisions.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Nope, not what I was inferring. And I don't think it's unreasonable to question why we had no representation at a local tourney in which several of our supposed recruits are playing. I'm one of the few who still hopes Dan is here for a long time. That doesn't mean I can't question some of his or the staff's decisions.
I never said you can't question any of those things. But to now say that you weren't inferring that when you said "it might explain..." is just straight up changing your story. I'm not sure how saying "it might explain..." can mean anything other than "there may be some truth to that". At least you realize now how ridiculous it is.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
I never said you can't question any of those things. Let's not change the subject completely just to try and make it seem like I am saying its wrong to criticize the coach. But to now say that you weren't inferring that when you said "it might explain..." is just straight up changing your story. I'm not sure how saying "it might explain..." can mean anything other than "there may be some truth to that". At least you realize now how ridiculous it is.
Last edited by adam914 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
I never said you can't question any of those things. But to now say that you weren't inferring that when you said "it might explain..." is just straight up changing your story. I'm not sure how saying "it might explain..." can mean anything other than "there may be some truth to that". At least you realize now how ridiculous it is.
I was just jumping at the opportunity to bring up my point, as ridiculous as the statement I posted on was. Obviously if there's a quality prospect in RI, Dan is going to recruit him and play him.
0 x