Jim Baron 2.0

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Jim Baron 2.0

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Ramster,

found the list he posted before too

2015: 4-8
2016: 3-11
2017: 1-4

0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I think Ramster thinks if he can type more words than
a Ted Cruz filibuster, that he wins his point.
ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DPS, those are Coach K like numbers, aren't they?
Gag.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:I think Ramster thinks if he can type more words than
a Ted Cruz filibuster, that he wins his point.
ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DPS, those are Coach K like numbers, aren't they?
Gag.
What is my point?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Who knows?
Just found "Everything is Beautiful" on
You Tube for you, Just keep playing it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Didn't think you knew.

3 points:
1. The title of this thread belittles the reputation of this Website. There is no way Jim Baron and Dan Hurley are equal. Does Not matter to me how many times it gets repeated.
2. Let the season play out before saying Dan Hurley is a failure
3. I will make my assessment of DH when this season is over. To conclude he is a failure now makes no sense to me.

So we don't agree. It's a message board.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

1. "Belittles the reputation"...among who? for what? That kinda statement seems to maybe belittle posters, not the message board?
2. The season so far isn't a 'failure', but nowhere near what it was projected to be...and showing signs similar to previous 'non-successes'.
3. Yes, fair to assess when the season is over...but it's not like it 'just started' either...it's more than a third of the way in...

GO RHODY!!!...Win the next three and......
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:1. "Belittles the reputation"...among who? for what? That kinda statement seems to maybe belittle posters, not the message board?
2. The season so far isn't a 'failure', but nowhere near what it was projected to be...and showing signs similar to previous 'non-successes'.
3. Yes, fair to assess when the season is over...but it's not like it 'just started' either...it's more than a third of the way in...

GO RHODY!!!...Win the next three and......
Fair points 208
1. The Title equates Jim Baron to Dan Hurley - enuff said. Dumbest statement I have ever heard relating to URI Basketball. The posters make up the message board, right? They are one and the same - I think
2. I totally agree with you the season is not a failure....YET......and the season is not a success.....YET. So why call it a either way a failure or a success at this point
3. Yes we are a 3rd the way in. Do I feel as confident now as I did before the 1st game.........no. Do think we are a shoe in for 1st place..........no.
Two starters I would give an A and a B+ to at the 1/3rd point. Bench gives hope. Past performances of all 5 starters gives hope. But I'd be surprised as anyone if we finish with 4 losses or less. Seems a reach to me based on the 1st third. 8 Road games alone makes 4 losses a tough goal.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Like has been said many, many times. CFL failed to make the Big Dance. I think the comparison is based on that alone. And at this point, in year 5, it serves to make a point.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote:Like has been said many, many times. CFL failed to make the Big Dance. I think the comparison is based on that alone. And at this point, in year 5, it serves to make a point.
If the comparison is solely that neither Jim Baron or Dan Hurley have failed to make the NCAA Tournament while at URI then that is a fair statement. I get the point.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would also add to that point, that both DH and JB have both lost a lot of close winnable games along the way.....far more than they've won.

That to me, along with no NCAA tourney, is what is similar......
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

1. The title of this thread belittles the reputation of this Website. There is no way Jim Baron and Dan Hurley are equal. Does Not matter to me how many times it gets repeated. -Ramster

So, there's a reputation at stake here?
Are we viewed as the town tramp of basketball forums?
Will we have to do the Queen Cersi walk of shame?
Will the Pope mention KB at Sunday Mass?
Will Dr. Dooley put KB on double secret probation?
Will tRUMP mention us in a Twitter attack?
Who are we losing our "reputation" with?
Supposedly nobody on staff or in the athletic department reads KB,
but are bothered at times by what's written here.
Those psychic readers, or ones like those who only read Playboy for the articles?
I just want to know:
A. Who are the ubiquitous overseers judging KB.
B. What are the consequences?
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:1. The title of this thread belittles the reputation of this Website. There is no way Jim Baron and Dan Hurley are equal. Does Not matter to me how many times it gets repeated. -Ramster

Those psychic readers, or ones like those who only read Playboy for the articles?
I just want to know:
As you said to me earlier ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Worst thread ever gets worse by the page

Doom and Gloom
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think it gets better and better all the time...people so adamant that Hurls isn't Baron-esque...people railing that he is. All I know is, he hasn't made NCAAT here as expected and it's been a few years...and neither did JB...and no one denies that. All the other stuff seems to be "whatever", but it sure does get people wound up. Carry on!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I think it gets better and better all the time...people so adamant that Hurls isn't Baron-esque...people railing that he is. All I know is, he hasn't made NCAAT here as expected and it's been a few years...and neither did JB...and no one denies that. All the other stuff seems to be "whatever", but it sure does get people wound up. Carry on!
And soon to hit 10,000 views :lol: :lol:

And we have not even played a Conference Game yet :o :o
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:1. The title of this thread belittles the reputation of this Website. There is no way Jim Baron and Dan Hurley are equal. Does Not matter to me how many times it gets repeated. -Ramster

I just want to know:
As you said to me earlier ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Worst thread ever gets worse by the page

Doom and Gloom

YOU never answered ONE of my questions.
Just HOW are we ruining the KB "reputation"?
WHO is it being ruined with?
Pretty melodramatic thing to say, in my book.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH has it all over used car salesman Jim !!
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Ramster,

Answer Rod's questions.
rodfromcranston wrote: YOU never answered ONE of my questions.
Now receive my response to your latest take...
ramster wrote: 1. The title of this thread belittles the reputation of this Website. There is no way Jim Baron and Dan Hurley are equal. Does Not matter to me how many times it gets repeated.
3. I will make my assessment of DH when this season is over. To conclude he is a failure now makes no sense to me.
#1 says to me your mind is made up and debate is no longer necessary, so catch you in another thread.
#2 says to me you are fine putting words in other forum members mouths. No one here, to my knowledge, calls DH a failure and if they do/have I will debate with counter points. I wouldn't call JB a failure either, he failed to achieve a certain goal as Rhody's coach, but has been to the NCAAT as a coach. These things don't make a man a failure or a success. DH has had successes and failures, as have you and I.
#3 Well, I just don't believe you will ever make and unbiased assessment of the comparison based on your own admissions (refer to ramster "1. The title of this thr...,") you apparently believe DH can change the narrative of coming up short in the big road games in 2/3 of one season. If we win every road game left against top 100 teams this year, DH will still be below .500 in these games. And again you mention the word failure as if others here called DH a failure. Words mean stuff, putting words in the mouths of others is usually pretty irritating. To be clear, most of us, we like DH, we think he is a great success in many ways.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So, there's a reputation at stake here? no
Are we viewed as the town tramp of basketball forums? no
Will we have to do the Queen Cersi walk of shame? no
Will the Pope mention KB at Sunday Mass? no
Will Dr. Dooley put KB on double secret probation? no
Will tRUMP mention us in a Twitter attack? question belongs in the political thread
Who are we losing our "reputation" with? nobody
Those psychic readers, or ones like those who only read Playboy for the articles? no idea
I just want to know:
A. Who are the ubiquitous overseers judging KB. no idea
B. What are the consequences? no idea
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote:Ramster,

Answer Rod's questions.
Done
rodfromcranston wrote: YOU never answered ONE of my questions.
Now receive my response to your latest take...
ramster wrote: 1. The title of this thread belittles the reputation of this Website. There is no way Jim Baron and Dan Hurley are equal. Does Not matter to me how many times it gets repeated.
#1 says to me your mind is made up and debate is no longer necessary, so catch you in another thread. Not true, mind is not made up. I will at least await the end of the season, most likely longer than that. JBs Coaching Career at URI is over, DH's URI Career continues.
#2 says to me you are fine putting words in other forum members mouths. No one here, to my knowledge, calls DH a failure and if they do/have I will debate with counter points. I wouldn't call JB a failure either, he failed to achieve a certain goal as Rhody's coach, but has been to the NCAAT as a coach. These things don't make a man a failure or a success. DH has had successes and failures, as have you and I. The title of the thread says they are equal. It has now been clarified, just yesterday, to me that this title was only to say that they are equal in regard to neither one has won an NCAA Tournament, if I understand that correctly. I thought by some of the commentary that it was about much more than simply the lack of an NCAA achievement to date. If I offended people in this thread and if I put words in people's mouths or twisted people's words I am sorry for that. This thread has pissed off a lot of people on both sides of the issue a lot. I'll not post here but rarely any more.

#3 Well, I just don't believe you will ever make and unbiased assessment of the comparison based on your own admissions (refer to ramster "1. The title of this thr...,") you apparently believe DH can change the narrative of coming up short in the big road games in 2/3 of one season. Never said that. If we win every road game left against top 100 teams this year, DH will still be below .500 in these games. And again you mention the word failure as if others here called DH a failure. Words mean stuff, putting words in the mouths of others is usually pretty irritating. To be clear, most of us, we like DH, we think he is a great success in many ways.

Not true about what you are saying that I believe DH can change.
Good to hear that most posters feel DH is a success in many ways. I am guilty of misinterpreting this thread and the majority of posters in this thread.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster I'm one of those that think DH is a success in many ways...but he's got to change for the better when it comes to game management and stop losing all of these close games.....you think he can change...I have serious doubts that he can based on what I've seen for 4 plus years......that should be enough time to show signs of improvement.....I'm not seeing it......time's a wastin'..........

I give Dan this year and next to finally prove he has what it takes to get to the Dance......if not then Thorr and Dooley need to start looking for our next coach.....

That's the hard reality of the situation. Like it or not.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree ^ There's lotsa positive about DH...but that inability to win close games or 'all the road games they should' are a couple hurdles he seems to have a hard time getting by. Unfortunately, those are pretty much the bottom line determinants of basketball success/failure... A comfortable blowout tonight would be a nice step....3 W's in a row starting tonight would be a 'yuge' step...
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

the other scary part is what the Hurley defenders are saying now is almost word for word what the Baron defenders were saying in 2005.

Coming off the surprise NIT season, most people were fired up and excited. We were making the climb out of the depths and were about to take the next step...but then the next step never came. And the excuses started of, "well if it werent for that 1 foul, we would've beaten Team A" and "Baron is a good coach, he cant do it all. the players need to execute".

Hell in either 2003 or 2004, there were heavy rumors that Baron was the front runner for the Seton Hall (iirc) job and there was a strong fan outcry wanting him to stay and see it through.

The natives didnt get restless and turn on him until the downturn year in 2005 and 2006. But then we got the 2nd wave of Jimmy, Daniels, Seawright, Delroy, Ulmer, Cothran.

2007 was when it turned to 'da process' and 'cfl' and basically 99% wanting him out of town.

As a life long fan, and someone who lived through the Baron years, I get a sense of deja vu with Hurley. So far it has been a repeat of how Baron's early years went.

-a rebuilding year
-a strong year
-a NIT/borderline NCAA year
-coach is pursued for a P5 job
-team regresses the next year
-....who knows how we finish

as well as the teams sharing the same achilles heels...lack of execution, lack of adjustments, cant win a close game, cant beat good teams consistently
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
---
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This isn't going to happen again.....DH will not be around for 11 years without making the Dance.....there's where the difference will be......and just barely making it once won't cut it in my book either......

I do think if he makes it this year or next, he'll get another offer.......and if it's from a school with a solid infrastructure already in place...he'll take it......unlike Rutgers......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......The only similarity between the two coaches is that they coached here until they didn't......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:ramster I'm one of those that think DH is a success in many ways...but he's got to change for the better when it comes to game management and stop losing all of these close games.....you think he can change...I have serious doubts that he can based on what I've seen for 4 plus years......that should be enough time to show signs of improvement.....I'm not seeing it......time's a wastin'..........
Rambone,
No, I did not say I think he can change, although I do think anyone can change their behavior and improve their performance if they want to in any job.

Just observations of how he may have changed in game management.

- Technical Fouls from the Bench
- Getting carried away with the Referees
- Overly coaching defense from the Bench when we are playing defense in front of the URI Bench - then our defense not being as good on the other end being too far away
- Overly coaching players from the bench

Whereas I normally watch the game closely, I spent much time watching Dan and the assistant Coaches during the W&M Game, during timeouts, before game, halftime, end of game

I don't know how many Technical Fouls have been called on him this year but my guess is it is lower than in his previous 4 years, not sure if they keep stats on this, maybe someone knows
DH stayed within the Coaches Box most all the time
I did not see negative interactions with the Referees, even when calls were questionable
I did not see the coaching of the defense or of the offense the same as I have seen in the past. Game was close but the Bench seemed controlled
I did not see players looking to the bench to get plays

I will add that I have seen some prominent Head Coaches just this season berate a player on National TV face to face. I have never liked this as it is embarrassing for the player and his family and friends. I have not seen DH do this. He has respect from his players and he respects them.

Just what my eyes saw. I did not see from the other side of the court, but from behind the bench, so I may have missed some

But don't take my word for it, just watch for yourself, I may be wrong. It's only one game that I watched the bench this closely.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, I agree with you on these things....his behavior has improved for sure.....but here's the kicker....the RESULTS haven't......whatever adjustments Dan makes just don't work...if he even makes any......

Improvements have to come by the play of the team in pressure situations....and at that they and the coach fail miserably......

Our set plays at the end of the games are almost comical in their futility......can't get the ball inbounds.....hey at least we're better at FT's...but it still doesn't matter!

Bottom line is winning...you can't argue with that rationale........and the coach is the one who is responsible for all of it at the end of the day....
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:the other scary part is what the Hurley defenders are saying now is almost word for word what the Baron defenders were saying in 2005.

Coming off the surprise NIT season, most people were fired up and excited. We were making the climb out of the depths and were about to take the next step...but then the next step never came. And the excuses started of, "well if it werent for that 1 foul, we would've beaten Team A" and "Baron is a good coach, he cant do it all. the players need to execute".

Hell in either 2003 or 2004, there were heavy rumors that Baron was the front runner for the Seton Hall (iirc) job and there was a strong fan outcry wanting him to stay and see it through.

The natives didnt get restless and turn on him until the downturn year in 2005 and 2006. But then we got the 2nd wave of Jimmy, Daniels, Seawright, Delroy, Ulmer, Cothran.

2007 was when it turned to 'da process' and 'cfl' and basically 99% wanting him out of town.

As a life long fan, and someone who lived through the Baron years, I get a sense of deja vu with Hurley. So far it has been a repeat of how Baron's early years went.

-a rebuilding year
-a strong year

as well as the teams sharing the same achilles heels...lack of execution, lack of adjustments, cant win a close game, cant beat good teams consistently
DPS,
I think 100% were wanting a change from Thor and Dooley in the last year or two, at least. 12 years was not Baron's fault for collecting a paycheck.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:the other scary part is what the Hurley defenders are saying now is almost word for word what the Baron defenders were saying in 2005.

-a rebuilding year
-a strong year

DPS,
I think 100% were wanting a change from Thor and Dooley in the last year or two, at least. 12 years was not Baron's fault for collecting a paycheck.

oh, definitely true. I was just saying the 2007-08 collapse was where the tide turned for good
1 x
---
---
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ramster wrote:
Just observations of how he may have changed in game management.

- Technical Fouls from the Bench
- Getting carried away with the Referees
- Overly coaching defense from the Bench when we are playing defense in front of the URI Bench - then our defense not being as good on the other end being too far away
- Overly coaching players from the bench

I don't know how many Technical Fouls have been called on him this year but my guess is it is lower than in his previous 4 years, not sure if they keep stats on this, maybe someone knows
He got one at Valpo. We lost by 3. It was the first of the losses in the games we should have won, if we wanted to stay ranked.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Still waiting for Ramster to answer my questions.
Claims he did.
He clearly did not.
More word salads to come, no doubt.

As for CFL, I never wanted him.
After his second season, which was the single best coaching job
I've seen at URI, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
20 win seasons followed by 20 loss seasons, made it
clear, that he was not the answer.
When VATech came calling, I was hoping he'd leave, and
said so to anyone who'd listen.
The season end collaspses with talented rosters, were horrid.
Blowing an 18 point lead at Creighton and hardly playing
Will Daniels in the second half ("he had 3 fouls on him")
was the final straw.
The endless blizzard of excuses. The coachspeak. His playing favorites over
better players.
His getting into pay tournaments to get his hollow 20 win season.
Listening to every announcer telling people what a great coach CFL was,
was tough to hear.
Many of us knew otherwise.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:

So, there's a reputation at stake here? no
Are we viewed as the town tramp of basketball forums? no
Will we have to do the Queen Cersi walk of shame? no
Will the Pope mention KB at Sunday Mass? no
Will Dr. Dooley put KB on double secret probation? no
Will tRUMP mention us in a Twitter attack? question belongs in the political thread
Who are we losing our "reputation" with? nobody
Those psychic readers, or ones like those who only read Playboy for the articles? no idea
I just want to know:
A. Who are the ubiquitous overseers judging KB. no idea
B. What are the consequences? no idea

I'm Confused. You say I did not answer your questions. Which question or questions did I not answer?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Still waiting for Ramster to answer my questions.
Claims he did.
He clearly did not.
More word salads to come, no doubt.

As for CFL, I never wanted him.
After his second season, which was the single best coaching job
I've seen at URI, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
20 win seasons followed by 20 loss seasons, made it
clear, that he was not the answer.
When VATech came calling, I was hoping he'd leave, and
said so to anyone who'd listen.
The season end collaspses with talented rosters, were horrid.
Blowing an 18 point lead at Creighton and hardly playing
Will Daniels in the second half ("he had 3 fouls on him")
was the final straw.
The endless blizzard of excuses. The coachspeak. His playing favorites over
better players.
His getting into pay tournaments to get his hollow 20 win season.
Listening to every announcer telling people what a great coach CFL was,
was tough to hear.
Many of us knew otherwise.
I answered your questions 2-4 hours ago this morning, don't remember the exact time but it was when running ram told me to. Then I told running ram I was done answering your questions. But you claim "He clearly did not" basically saying I lied to running ram. I did not.

No "word salads to come" as you refer to my comments.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:This isn't going to happen again.....DH will not be around for 11 years without making the Dance.....there's where the difference will be......and just barely making it once won't cut it in my book either.
And there it is, already laying the groundwork for being disappointed even if we do make the tournament. There will always be a reason!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:This isn't going to happen again.....DH will not be around for 11 years without making the Dance.....there's where the difference will be......and just barely making it once won't cut it in my book either.
And there it is, already laying the groundwork for being disappointed even if we do make the tournament. There will always be a reason!
Yep, but the upside is...the thread continues to grow...not going to hit 20 pages if people just sit on their hands. (Am I the 10,000th view?)

I'm not sure how to distinguish between making it and barely making it (which I would be satisfied with). If/when they make it (even if barely) and maybe even if they don't, people will be firing up the 'will he stay or will he go now' conversation in the spring, which will be pretty entertaining in its own way.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'll save you the suspense, no matter how they make it, there will be a reason why it wasn't good enough.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:I'll save you the suspense, no matter how they make it, there will be a reason why it wasn't good enough.
Maybe there should be a "Reason why it wasn't good enough" poll started now, in case they do make it.

Possibilities:
-early season losses made for a lower seed than it should have been
-mid-season losses made for a lower seed than it should have been
-late season losses made for a lower seed than it should have been
-only made it because ____ lost to _____ in a game they should have won, otherwise, 'they' would have been in instead
-the coach did/was/is: _______________________
-only because they _____ in the A-10 tournament, otherwise_____
-every other team in the conference was terrible...wouldn't have made it if they were in a decent conference
-etc, etc, etc....

If they don't make it, well, looks like we're all set with this thread for that. :lol:
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
adam914 wrote:I'll save you the suspense, no matter how they make it, there will be a reason why it wasn't good enough.
Maybe there should be a "Reason why it wasn't good enough" poll started now, in case they do make it.

Possibilities:
-early season losses made for a lower seed than it should have been
-mid-season losses made for a lower seed than it should have been
-late season losses made for a lower seed than it should have been
-only made it because ____ lost to _____ in a game they should have won, otherwise, 'they' would have been in instead
-the coach did/was/is: _______________________
-only because they _____ in the A-10 tournament, otherwise_____
-every other team in the conference was terrible...wouldn't have made it if they were in a decent conference
-etc, etc, etc....

If they don't make it, well, looks like we're all set with this thread for that. :lol:
the 'made it but not good enough' to me sounds like its based on the results after making it.

for example, we make it and are in one of the play in games. in the play in game we get run out of the gym by 20.
1 x
---
---
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Disagree, Adam and company.
Most here haven't experienced the NCAA excitement.
Getting there alone, erases most gripes.
A win or two will put Dan in the golden circle of
Rhody coaches who have done so.
It will also greatly help recruiting, season ticket sales
and applications for admission to the school.
A rising tide lifts all boats.

One further thought on CFL.
The A-10 his teams competed in was FAR tougher than
today's A-10.
Xavier, Temple, and a formerly good UNCC program, were there.
St. Joe's was the number one team in the USA for a good part
of one season.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think the two reasons why it is so bothersome to me hear Hurley called "Baron 2.0" are that it is a gross oversimplification and it is an undeserved insult to our coach.

It's an oversimplification because it focuses solely on whether we have been to the tournament or not and ignores context and isn't supported by facts. John Wooden wouldn't have coached URI to the NCAA tournament in Hurley's first two years at URI, so let's throw those out. In his third year, we did lose some heartbreaking games, but at the time everyone agreed that that team overachieved and were probably a year early in contending for a NCAA tournament bid. That they were one shot against Davidson away from making it was an accomplishment, not a failure. Last year was supposed to be the year, and as we all know that team was ravaged by injuries. Of course it was frustrating for fans and coaches and players to lose all those close games - no fan was more frustrated than I was - but realistically, the chances to go to the tournament evaporated 10 minutes into the season when EC went down. So that brings us to this year, and to this point I don't hang our lack of tournament appearances on Hurley - to summarize: the first two years were impossible, the third year was closer than we could have expected, and the fourth year was destroyed by injuries. And this year, we all expected to make the tournament. And guess what? Despite a few disappointing losses, that is still very much in play. Am I as confident as I was in October? How could I be. But that incremental reduction in confidence doesn't make the coach Jim Baron redux. That's a huge leap. What made Jim Baron a failure was alternating between not putting together good enough teams and not coaching his good teams well enough for a decade; so far, Hurley's grade on those two points is at worst incomplete.

The reason why it is insulting on a personal level is because Jim Baron was a fraud, a huckster, an excuse-making, expectations-lowering phony whose sole professional focus was survival and not achievement, and who ran the program into the ground by failing to establish a culture that was representative of the university. Dan Hurley is none of those things. He is just about the exact opposite from Jim Baron in all of those ways. If you believe that doing things the right way will ultimately get you the results you want, even if unforeseen things go wrong along the way or you hit road blocks and obstacles, and you are capable of recognizing the difference between Hurley and Baron on a basic human level, then you should be willing to have some patience. Hurley is still a relatively young coach with big ambitions and a smart guy, whereas Baron was playing out the string and trying to protect his retirement job. I get that the 17 years is frustrating and it's hard to be patient 17 years into it, but those 17 years aren't Dan Hurley's fault.

I do not think Dan Hurley is perfect. Anyone who reads here regularly knows that I think he has areas in need of development as a coach and knows what I think those areas are. If he was a perfect coach, we'd be 11-1. But I think the idea of comparing Hurley to Baron makes us look like we don't know what the hell we are talking about, even if you think you can support the claim on a very superficial level.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Disagree, Adam and company.
Most here haven't experienced the NCAA excitement.
Getting there alone, erases most gripes.
A win or two will put Dan in the golden circle of
Rhody coaches who have done so.
It will also greatly help recruiting, season ticket sales
and applications for admission to the school.
A rising tide lifts all boats.

One further thought on CFL.
The A-10 his teams competed in was FAR tougher than
today's A-10.
Xavier, Temple, and a formerly good UNCC program, were there.
St. Joe's was the number one team in the USA for a good part
of one season.
ugh, THAT game.... that was 03 with Jameer Nelson and Delonte West, one of the early 'everything but the win' games. St Joes had an undefeated regular season that year.

and yes, the pre re-alignment A10 was a beast.

I'd say 2012-13 is the best A10 roster of the CFl years though. Butler, X, Temple, VCU, Dayton, St Louis, GW.

7 20 win teams and 11 of 16 teams over .500, 5 NCAA teams. Fun to imagine if re-alignment never happened and the A10 kept those teams, instead of them becoming the top teams of the new Big (L)East
1 x
---
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:I think the two reasons why it is so bothersome to me hear Hurley called "Baron 2.0" are that it is a gross oversimplification and it is an undeserved insult to our coach.

It's an oversimplification because it focuses solely on whether we have been to the tournament or not and ignores context and isn't supported by facts. John Wooden wouldn't have coached URI to the NCAA tournament in Hurley's first two years at URI, so let's throw those out. In his third year, we did lose some heartbreaking games, but at the time everyone agreed that that team overachieved and were probably a year early in contending for a NCAA tournament bid. That they were one shot against Davidson away from making it was an accomplishment, not a failure. Last year was supposed to be the year, and as we all know that team was ravaged by injuries. Of course it was frustrating for fans and coaches and players to lose all those close games - no fan was more frustrated than I was - but realistically, the chances to go to the tournament evaporated 10 minutes into the season when EC went down. So that brings us to this year, and to this point I don't hang our lack of tournament appearances on Hurley - to summarize: the first two years were impossible, the third year was closer than we could have expected, and the fourth year was destroyed by injuries. And this year, we all expected to make the tournament. And guess what? Despite a few disappointing losses, that is still very much in play. Am I as confident as I was in October? How could I be. But that incremental reduction in confidence doesn't make the coach Jim Baron redux. That's a huge leap. What made Jim Baron a failure was alternating between not putting together good enough teams and not coaching his good teams well enough for a decade; so far, Hurley's grade on those two points is at worst incomplete.

The reason why it is insulting on a personal level is because Jim Baron was a fraud, a huckster, an excuse-making, expectations-lowering phony whose sole professional focus was survival and not achievement, and who ran the program into the ground by failing to establish a culture that was representative of the university. Dan Hurley is none of those things. He is just about the exact opposite from Jim Baron in all of those ways. If you believe that doing things the right way will ultimately get you the results you want, even if unforeseen things go wrong along the way or you hit road blocks and obstacles, and you are capable of recognizing the difference between Hurley and Baron on a basic human level, then you should be willing to have some patience. Hurley is still a relatively young coach with big ambitions and a smart guy, whereas Baron was playing out the string and trying to protect his retirement job. I get that the 17 years is frustrating and it's hard to be patient 17 years into it, but those 17 years aren't Dan Hurley's fault.

I do not think Dan Hurley is perfect. Anyone who reads here regularly knows that I think he has areas in need of development as a coach and knows what I think those areas are. If he was a perfect coach, we'd be 11-1. But I think the idea of comparing Hurley to Baron makes us look like we don't know what the hell we are talking about, even if you think you can support the claim on a very superficial level.

and there it is.

the only real reason you dont want to admit Hurley mirrors Baron PURELY ON COACHING AND RESULTS is because you like Hurley personally. That is giving you rose colored glasses.

Purely on the court, where it matters, Hurley and Baron are very similar.

Both took over a program in shambles and quickly turned it around with an influx of talent and a nice NIT run
Both's teams fail to execute or make adjustments in close games and games against other good teams

Projecting out 'well, he's brought them this far already, of course he will make the tournament' is our version of 'Wait till next year'
2 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No, I think that is completely wrong and unsupportable by facts. I laid out exactly why I think it's a dumb comparison from a basketball standpoint, and as I said in my post you try to support it with a very lazy and very superficial argument that utterly fails to contextualize the evidence you're trying to use to support it.

And honestly, I don't know you personally but I think you either don't actually believe what you are saying here and are throwing a prolonged tantrum for yourself, or you have a very basic and limited understanding of college basketball.

And for the record, I don't know Dan personally. I don't think he is going to succeed because I like him, I like him because he seems like a guy with the qualities I think typically result in success.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I agree with most of what your wrote, TP.
Dan and CFL are two very different personalities, with different MOs.
The frustrations leading to this thread involve the inability to
win close games (although I can recall a boatload of
last second wins under CFL),
and the lack of even being close to an NCAA.
Maybe you've forgotten the giant hype of Dan's second season?
Gil was all world, Iffy was a beast, Rieschel was our Swiss Army Knife player,
Biggy was a demon on defense, Martin and EC were big additions, and blah,blah, blah.
All the NYC media types joined in the trumpeting of URI.
Then the Jordan Hare farce, early blowouts to good teams,
and it was obvious it wasn't going to happen.
Four of those hyped players left early.
So, the expectations, right or wrong, began very early.
Dan did a great job his first season with a very very limited roster.
Most figured with his players, he could work wonders.
So far, not so.
Even without EC, there was enough talent to at least make an NIT run,
last season.
Didn't happen.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Whatever anyone was sold or what they believed, his second year team was not a tournament team. That his third year almost was is, in my opinion, a feather in his cap. We can agree on last year - even without EC that should have been a NIT team - but the team also missed several other starters for decent stretches and lost something like 7 games by less than a combined 20 points. Whatever you think the reason is for that, at least part of it is absurdly and statistically improbable bad luck.

My bold prediction is that we will have a winning record in close (<5 pts) games for the rest of the season. I think those things are more about luck and happenstance than people think and are due to even out. If I'm wrong, I'm sure nobody will hesitate to point that out to me.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote: The reason why it is insulting on a personal level is because Jim Baron was a fraud, a huckster, an excuse-making, expectations-lowering phony whose sole professional focus was survival and not achievement, and who ran the program into the ground by failing to establish a culture that was representative of the university. Dan Hurley is none of those things. He is just about the exact opposite from Jim Baron in all of those ways. If you believe that doing things the right way will ultimately get you the results you want, even if unforeseen things go wrong along the way or you hit road blocks and obstacles, and you are capable of recognizing the difference between Hurley and Baron on a basic human level, then you should be willing to have some patience. Hurley is still a relatively young coach with big ambitions and a smart guy, whereas Baron was playing out the string and trying to protect his retirement job. I get that the 17 years is frustrating and it's hard to be patient 17 years into it, but those 17 years aren't Dan Hurley's fault.
Is that how you felt about Baron in his fifth year here or did that attitude come from the way his time ended here? I'll agree that Hurley has really changed the program around from where it was...I'm just not sure what will happen if we don't make the tournament this year. I think Hurley has done a great job establishing a positive culture for the program but missing the tournament this year could change things. Obviously it's too early to tell but I think Hurley's fifth year should be compared more to Baron's fifth year and not Baron's last.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

josephski wrote:
TruePoint wrote: The reason why it is insulting on a personal level is because Jim Baron was a fraud, a huckster, an excuse-making, expectations-lowering phony whose sole professional focus was survival and not achievement, and who ran the program into the ground by failing to establish a culture that was representative of the university. Dan Hurley is none of those things. He is just about the exact opposite from Jim Baron in all of those ways. If you believe that doing things the right way will ultimately get you the results you want, even if unforeseen things go wrong along the way or you hit road blocks and obstacles, and you are capable of recognizing the difference between Hurley and Baron on a basic human level, then you should be willing to have some patience. Hurley is still a relatively young coach with big ambitions and a smart guy, whereas Baron was playing out the string and trying to protect his retirement job. I get that the 17 years is frustrating and it's hard to be patient 17 years into it, but those 17 years aren't Dan Hurley's fault.
Is that how you felt about Baron in his fifth year here or did that attitude come from the way his time ended here? I'll agree that Hurley has really changed the program around from where it was...I'm just not sure what will happen if we don't make the tournament this year. I think Hurley has done a great job establishing a positive culture for the program but missing the tournament this year could change things. Obviously it's too early to tell but I think Hurley's fifth year should be compared more to Baron's fifth year and not Baron's last.

yup, still wonder what would've happened if Dawan Robinson doesnt blow out his knee game 1 of the year. He's kind of the forgotten star. His numbers are on par with EC's their freshman and sophomore years.
2 x
---
---
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

dewan.jpg
Dawan has had the best Euro career of any of our
former players, with the possible exception of John Fultz.
He's a big star in a championship team.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Dawan will always be my favorite player... Would love to have him right now. He actually hit game winners and would never let PC beat him every year.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:I give Dan this year and next to finally prove he has what it takes to get to the Dance......if not then Thorr and Dooley need to start looking for our next coach.....

That's the hard reality of the situation. Like it or not.
Assuming we don't get into the tournament, what has Thorr done to earn the opportunity to hire the next coach? If they don't make the tournament this year I think you need to take a hard look at the AD position because we might need to go in a new direction in our three biggest sports in the next couple seasons.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Thorr hired the guy we all wanted. No blemish on him.
0 x