Jim Baron 2.0

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Jim Baron 2.0

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

josephski wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:But here's the problem, people aren't speaking freely precisely because of how bad this board had become. Go back and look at some of the polls we've run on here, and the results are counter to the words being posted. People don't want to post on this board, in large part because of the ridiculous and unintelligent banter. The idea that fans should wage through 500 yards of shit smelling foulness to get a kernel of interesting talk is bad for the board.
And that's on more people than just the "doom and gloomers". You've got users calling other people morons because they don't agree with their opinion, users trying to force other users off the site and there's always multiple responses from people bitching and moaning about one negative opinion that gets posted. There is a lot of garbage on here and it's not all from any specific group on this board.
If that's true, then why are the poll results more positive than the words. It's the positive posters being run off and that's due to the overwhelming negativity.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
josephski wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:But here's the problem, people aren't speaking freely precisely because of how bad this board had become. Go back and look at some of the polls we've run on here, and the results are counter to the words being posted. People don't want to post on this board, in large part because of the ridiculous and unintelligent banter. The idea that fans should wage through 500 yards of shit smelling foulness to get a kernel of interesting talk is bad for the board.
And that's on more people than just the "doom and gloomers". You've got users calling other people morons because they don't agree with their opinion, users trying to force other users off the site and there's always multiple responses from people bitching and moaning about one negative opinion that gets posted. There is a lot of garbage on here and it's not all from any specific group on this board.
If that's true, then why are the poll results more positive than the words. It's the positive posters being run off and that's due to the overwhelming negativity.
no.

its the same reason why customer service lines get mostly negative calls or why talk radio has better ratings when things are bad

happy people arent as vocal as unhappy people
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

giovanni wrote:"The second you start to go above that and say that Dan Hurley is anything like Jim Baron means you're dumb. Period."

Is it possible statements like this may upset people a bit? Hey, it's great you swept the floor or played the tuba during the Baron era and have a hate for the guy that is fine. But some others have different views and some that can be considered much more informed. That is a is problem with some, is that the only thing they know is the Jim Baron and Dan Hurley eras and teams. Period

"I also agree that anyone should be able to say that Dan is the worst coach in America if they want."

I am not going through this incredibly long thread which may be ridiculous, but I don't recall anyone saying that Dan is the worst coach in America. I don't really see anyone saying that Baron was a better coach than Dan either. Seems like you have twisted this to put a spin or your argument, whatever that may be.
Yes it's the internet so broad generalizations are a thing that happens.

You're right all I know is Dan or Jim Baron. I didn't grow up at Keaney gym from the age of 3 and wasn't a ball boy for Skinner and Harrick. Not like I'm on the cover of Woodward's history of URI basketball or read it cover to cover twice. Totally don't have the library of all our of NCAA games dating back to Penders in the late 80's that I watch after we get eliminated every year. I'm just a casual fan boy who applied to 1 division I athletics school so I wouldn't have to root against the Rams in anything.

As for me sweeping the floor or playing the tuba during the Baron era? Umm ok. That or ya know working in the athletic department, creating the student fan group that became the ruckus, having a family member on the athletics board, having the basketball team as a social circle while in school and having a personal relationship with most of the names that I've seen listed as players...but yeah you're right joe mcasswipe from 311 or tommy gunslinger listening to steve and don on the radio all those years probably know so much more than me about that time in URI basketball history. Sorry to just keep putting my vague and uninformed opinions out there about this.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
josephski wrote:
Positive posters are labeled kool aid drinkers and negative posters are labeled not real fans. The overall negativity comes from both sides.

And how can you say positive posters are being run off when recently we haven't looked at all like a tournament team? You can only stay positive so long. We went from being ranked top 25 in the preseason to looking like we won't make the tournament in a year that was supposed to be our best season in 17 years. If anything it's kind of surprising their isn't more negativity on this board and we haven't seen a fire Hurley thread yet.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

You're totally right on that point... I was addressing the point that we need to have some sort of credibility as a message board..

I think the point about readability/influence of posters is a different issue. I don't know how to fix that one..
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Win some fucking game and this board will become a lot more bearable. Simple as that.
2 x
Go Rhody
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote:
giovanni wrote:"The second you start to go above that and say that Dan Hurley is anything like Jim Baron means you're dumb. Period."

Is it possible statements like this may upset people a bit? Hey, it's great you swept the floor or played the tuba during the Baron era and have a hate for the guy that is fine. But some others have different views and some that can be considered much more informed. That is a is problem with some, is that the only thing they know is the Jim Baron and Dan Hurley eras and teams. Period

"I also agree that anyone should be able to say that Dan is the worst coach in America if they want."

I am not going through this incredibly long thread which may be ridiculous, but I don't recall anyone saying that Dan is the worst coach in America. I don't really see anyone saying that Baron was a better coach than Dan either. Seems like you have twisted this to put a spin or your argument, whatever that may be.

As for me sweeping the floor or playing the tuba during the Baron era? Umm ok. That or ya know working in the athletic department, creating the student fan group that became the ruckus, having a family member on the athletics board, having the basketball team as a social circle while in school and having a personal relationship with most of the names that I've seen listed as players...but yeah you're right joe mcasswipe from 311 or tommy gunslinger listening to steve and don on the radio all those years probably know so much more than me about that time in URI basketball history. Sorry to just keep putting my vague and uninformed opinions out there about this.
And you don't think those reasons listed above give you an incredibly biased view on this team/program?
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

"That or ya know working in the athletic department, creating the student fan group that became the ruckus, having a family member on the athletics board, having the basketball team as a social circle while in school and having a personal relationship with most of the names that I've seen listed as players.."

Very impressive. Hope its on your facebook page for someone that cares. You don't like being insulted? You seem to be able to dish it out just fine. You know players, wow, thats great. You may have know guys from those teams and been in the athletic department now or in those years, but there is a lot more history in URI basketball that you know absolutely zero about. Maybe there have been quite a few more down times than up times, but there is more to the history of this programs than Lamont Ulmer. Go ahead, turn that into I said Lamonte Ulmer sucked or was an awful player. Thats how it usually turns.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Actually if this board is so pathetic and dumb, why would the players and coaches take time to read any of it, let alone take anything serious to what is going on with the team or individual?
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:

You're right all I know is Dan or Jim Baron. I didn't grow up at Keaney gym from the age of 3 and wasn't a ball boy for Skinner and Harrick. Not like I'm on the cover of Woodward's history of URI basketball or read it cover to cover twice. Totally don't have the library of all our of NCAA games dating back to Penders in the late 80's that I watch after we get eliminated every year. I'm just a casual fan boy who applied to 1 division I athletics school so I wouldn't have to root against the Rams in anything.

so? you want a cookie or something? all of that still doesnt mean you have any more of a clue or any more of a valid opinion than someone else.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

giovanni wrote:"That or ya know working in the athletic department, creating the student fan group that became the ruckus, having a family member on the athletics board, having the basketball team as a social circle while in school and having a personal relationship with most of the names that I've seen listed as players.."

Very impressive. Hope its on your facebook page for someone that cares. You don't like being insulted? You seem to be able to dish it out just fine. You know players, wow, thats great. You may have know guys from those teams and been in the athletic department now or in those years, but there is a lot more history in URI basketball that you know absolutely zero about. Maybe there have been quite a few more down times than up times, but there is more to the history of this programs than Lamont Ulmer. Go ahead, turn that into I said Lamonte Ulmer sucked or was an awful player. Thats how it usually turns.
Gio, unbind your panties. You assumed that I just played the tuba (trombone in high school so close) and that I was just speaking nonsense that I didn't know anything about. I responded with a whole bunch of evidence that would lend those statements some credibility so that when I say something you don't agree with, you can understand that maybe the person with the first hand perspective might not just be speaking nonsense and you may learn something new.

Now I'm curious - so all this URI basketball history I supposedly know nothing about. There's not like a book, or newspaper articles, or old videos, or old fans to talk to that I would possibly have been able to learn something right?

Idk I mean I didn't fight in WWII but I know a decent amount about that. I missed Abe Lincoln's speech at the battle of Gettysburg yet somehow miraculously I was able to ascertain a copy of that speech. Weird how that works.

Also for the love of god figure out the quote feature on this website because you're not helping my other broad assertion that a majority of our fans are elderly and out of touch.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

so? you want a cookie or something? all of that still doesnt mean you have any more of a clue or any more of a valid opinion than someone else.
Um yeah. It literally means exactly that. Just like even though I was there for the 90's, I would default to Rod as the absolute expert on the inner workings of athletics in the 90's because of his connections at the time.

Just like even though I still have a pulse of what's going on there are posters on this board who are students now or maybe who work in athletics now that know a lot more than any of us do. It's foolish to dismiss the opinions of people who would know more than you about something because you don't like the message.

But sure I guess the people with the super informed opinions where Dan Hurley is a worse coach than Jim Baron because they don't like what they've seen on TV must have a totally different understanding of things. My bad. I'll take my uninformed opinions with no basis in reality and default to the people with their wealth of knowledge gleaned from years in the bleachers.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Blue Man wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Dan Hurley had to deal with a criminal hold over (who was a stud that got kicked off after the recruiting period and after Hurley signed). A malcontent holdover who Hurley had to cater to to fill a roster spot who never ended up playing. A lying asshole son of the former coach who committed to Hurley and waiting until after the recruiting period to reneg and follow his dad.
Blue Man et al...

Now I am not a Baron apologist and will not weigh in on this debate but can we please lay off Billy Baron for transferring to play for his father? He didn't do it to screw us, he committed to DH after his father was fired and transferred only after JB secured the Canisius job. Yes, the timing was bad but I'm sure it was a heartbreaking couple of weeks for a college-aged kid. If JB never got the Canisius job, Billy would have finished up at URI. I actually thought he handled such a trying situation very well and felt badly for the kid as he had to deal with all of it under the spotlight. Plus, DH gave him his blessing, so there's that?

Screw Holton and Hare but let's put this ridiculous theory/opinion about Billy Baron to bed once and for all...
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I could care less if Dan Hurley is better or worse than Jim Baron. The bottom line is he continues to lose against weaker opponents. Why I'm worried is the lack of progress he's had as a basketball coach. He's a bad x's and o's coach. He refuses to change his game plan no matter what the outcome is and he only makes adjustments when we are in desperation mode. We don't have many "skilled" players like a team like Richmond. Why not use our advantage and press teams and get on the fast break. When you seem to be having a tough time creating any offensive rhythm it would make sense to get some easy baskets and force some turnovers. He takes players out that look like they are getting a rhythm, but also keeps players in that are clearly not feeling it that night. I get that they are your best players, but your telling me Andre Berry or Mike Layssard are that bad that they couldn't get ANY minutes last night? Hass missed about 500 wide open lay-ups! Try someone different! Nope let's keep the same fucking players in and once we are down 20 with 5 minutes left, we will try a press. Smart Coaching!!!

Jim Baron had talent and didn't go anywhere but the NIT. Dan Hurley has more talent on this team and is going to the NIT.. Maybe. We are not going anywhere with him as our coach. I appreciate everything he's done, but he's not good enough to take us to that next level and anyone that thinks he is I feel sorry for you because you're going to be let down.
Last edited by steveystuds06 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Frank_Keaney_95 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Blue Man et al...

Now I am not a Baron apologist and will not weigh in on this debate but can we please lay off Billy Baron for transferring to play for his father? He didn't do it to screw us, he committed to DH after his father was fired and transferred only after JB secured the Canisius job. Yes, the timing was bad but I'm sure it was a heartbreaking couple of weeks for a college-aged kid. If JB never got the Canisius job, Billy would have finished up at URI. I actually thought he handled such a trying situation very well and felt badly for the kid as he had to deal with all of it under the spotlight. Plus, DH gave him his blessing, so there's that?

Screw Holton and Hare but let's put this ridiculous theory/opinion about Billy Baron to bed once and for all...
I don't know all the facts or the innerworkings here. I will concede that point and that I'm insinuating something I can't confirm.

I will just lay out these facts:

Dan Hurley was hired March 20th.
Baron less than 2 weeks later on April 2nd.
NLI period for spring recruiting that year was 4/11-5-16.
Billy transferred 6/20

I could be totally wrong and blinded by personal feelings, but those are the dates in how everything went down.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

BleedBlue87 wrote:Like I've said before, the title of this thread is garbage but it happens to be the thread where we talk about Hurley and his coaching. To me, it's become abundantly clear that this is not the guy to lead this program. Look, we got sold on a last name. That's on us. At this point, if we catch fire it will be despite Hurley. The sooner this guy is gone the better.
lol wow I didn't even realize I missed this. Kind of encapsulates the board.

When the team loses the coach didn't have them ready to play, the coach didn't call the right plays, the coach didn't run the right drills in practice, the coach didn't make the right substitutions, the coach lost them the game.

When the team wins though fuck the coach the players played well. The comedy that lies in the fact that people can't see how hypocritical they are is staggering.

So no one will be happy with Dan even if we go to the tournament. Y'all are the worst. There's no winning with you and no making you happy. Go become UConn Women Huskies so you can just breeze to 96 straight wins and be thrilled. Maybe that will add some sunshine to your days.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think if this team doesn't make the NCAAT this year, with Dan's first class graduating, then things are going to get interesting around here next season.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RJ and DPS...your last posts are spot on......

This board is a platform for us to speak our opinions.....if some don't like them then don't read them...it's been said many times but some are just too thick headed to understand that simple concept.

The DH ass kissers have their panties in a bunch because some dare to compare DH to JB...they are similar in the MOST IMPORTANT way possible....neither have danced here and they both constantly fail under pressure.

That's the bottom line...winning and losing, and both aren't/weren't good enough to get the brass ring....isn't that what matters here? Who the fuck cares who's better?

Yeah Dan hasn't danced in 5 years and JB in 11.....so fucking what? Hurley ain't dancing here if he stays another 6 years...which I hope the fuck he doesn't.

The self appointed thought police here complain about mine and others negative opinions cluttering up the board, when THEIR own complaining about it is even worse!
2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

The scheduling argument is a joke. You can only try and schedule the best possible schools possible, you can't control if those schools are good or bad in that given year.

Here are the power 5 and Big East schools that off the top of my head I remember URI playing under Baron in the regular season, aside from Providence, and some of these on more than 1 occasion:

Duke
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
USC
Miami
Kansas
Utah (they weren't at the time so maybe they don't count)
Florida
Oklahoma State
Boston College
DePaul
Seton Hall
Penn State
Villanova
Texas
Nebraska
Virginia Tech

Given that Baron was at URI for 11 years and there's 17 schools on that list, some of which played URI more than once, Baron's teams averaged around 2 games against major programs in his time at the school. I may have missed one or two but the point remains.

Many of the schools that Hurley's faced have come in preseason and/or holiday tournaments, which is no different than some of the teams that Baron scheduled.

Who has Hurley gotten to come to the Ryan Center? Nebraska? Yes he's gotten his one game a year on the road like Baron got (although who did he get this year). Aside from that? A bunch were neutral site games in tournaments like Maryland, Georgia Tech, Ohio State, Duke, TCU and Kansas. Who else? A road game at Nebraska? At Virginia Tech? And the road games against LSU/Auburn/Arizona. The same type of buy games that Baron got.

Pittsburgh, USC (possibly a Jerry D scheduled series), DePaul, Utah, Seton Hall, Virginia Tech and Boston College twice all came to the Ryan Center in the regular season under Baron. And Oklahoma State came to Mohegan Sun for a non-tournament game.

Yes Baron faced his share of Central Connecticut States, Hofstras, Fairfields, etc. Just this year URI faced national power houses in Holy Cross, Dartmouth (quite possibly the worst program in the history of division one), American and William & Mary.

If you want to analyze it fairly there's little difference at all between each coach's schedules.
Last edited by scine20 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Im sure they did some self scouting during the bye week. BUT DID THEY DO SOME SELF SCOUTING DURING THE BYE WEEK!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Blue Man wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:Like I've said before, the title of this thread is garbage but it happens to be the thread where we talk about Hurley and his coaching. To me, it's become abundantly clear that this is not the guy to lead this program. Look, we got sold on a last name. That's on us. At this point, if we catch fire it will be despite Hurley. The sooner this guy is gone the better.
lol wow I didn't even realize I missed this. Kind of encapsulates the board.

When the team loses the coach didn't have them ready to play, the coach didn't call the right plays, the coach didn't run the right drills in practice, the coach didn't make the right substitutions, the coach lost them the game.

When the team wins though fuck the coach the players played well. The comedy that lies in the fact that people can't see how hypocritical they are is staggering.

So no one will be happy with Dan even if we go to the tournament. Y'all are the worst. There's no winning with you and no making you happy. Go become UConn Women Huskies so you can just breeze to 96 straight wins and be thrilled. Maybe that will add some sunshine to your days.
Blue man there is no fucking consistency with this team, no leadership, and no significant player development. This coach has been all talk. Your so far up Hurley's ass you can't even recognize it. The act that you sit here and try to jump down everybody's throat when they say their opinion is pathetic. You don't like the talk then don't read the board. Believe me, we will be fine without you.
2 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Obadiah wrote:Last year's team was 17-14 and we were bounced from the A-10 by an awful UMass team to make the overall record 17-15. We lost one player, McGlynn, a reputed three point shooter, who had only a very average year, but with EC back plus Robinson, many newcomers and a host of returning veterans with another year of experience under the belt, all URI fans felt good and believed all the ballyhoo Hurley was tossing about. But with one-third of season left our record is barely above last year's and it certainly looks like that the final record will not be substantially better. Not NCAA material. Not NIT material.
And will next year be better???

URI has experienced other periods when we missed the NCCA - droughts of 12 years, 10 years 5 years - but the current 18 year drought is the longest in history and given the high expectations that it would end this season, it is natural to see the level of frustration in the fan base. This is even more apparent in the Ryan attendance to date. And it is natural for the coach to come under fire considering that he is calling the shots on player recruitment/selection, training and practice, and in-game strategy. Five years is a lot of time to produce.
Awesome post OB.

Very disappointed in Hurley and the team. Thank GOD for the Patriots.

21-9 is still very doable for this team.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Brady the ever optomist. So we go 12-7 and choke on many occasions, but we can go 9-2 the rest of the way? hilarious.
2 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

We are right now favorite in all 11 games.

GET IT DONE HURLEY AND THE MEN!

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote: This board is a platform for us to speak our opinions.....if some don't like them then don't read them...it's been said many times but some are just too thick headed to understand that simple concept!
You seem to struggle with this same concept that you claim is so simple.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Uh, we were favored against LaSalle and Richmond too. Oops.

The way we're going, we won't be favored in all of them very soon.

I guess optimism is human nature. Otherwise, there's no reason to be optimistic about this team or coach.

Maybe we should go into every game expecting to lose...and when we win a game, act all surprised and happy.

hey, if we win Saturday, a few will get back on the hopeful train......fools.

adam, we are all guilty of this to some extent.....it's a defensive reaction or reflex. Do you like it when someone calls you and your opinion stupid?

This board has become toxic.....as the team implodes so do we.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:Is it unreasonable to think that he might reach "not good enough for p5 jobs to reach for him (non Rutgers schools) but good enough that he teases us with a decade of Lucy/football years" status? You aren't paying attention or you are being naive if that isn't becoming more (not less) likely to you.
I think this is perfectly fair. I do not think it is unreasonable to think he MIGHT reach that status. He has not gotten to that next level yet. My biggest gripe is that it does seem like some people here have decided he has already without a doubt reached that status. Not that he might, not that they are predicting he will, but that he definitely already has. That is where I would disagree.

In my opinion, a big difference is that I think (or maybe a better word is hope), that there is a greater chance of better days to come for Hurley led teams then there was for Baron led teams. Their time as the head coach of Rhode Island has come at pretty different points in their careers. Not that Baron was ready to retire when he got here or anything, but Hurley is still a relatively new coach. In college especially. It doesn't mean that he 100% absolutely will change or get better, but I think it is more likely than it would have been for Baron at that point of his career.

Especially when you look at the latter half of Baron's time here, when everyone was really sick of him, it's a very different situation than where Dan is at right now in my opinion.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

adam, how much longer would YOU give Dan here, if he continues to underachieve? Honest opinion please.

If he shows little or no bench coaching improvements?

If he and his team continues to come up small in big games?

I think this is a good topic for a poll at the end of this season. You know where I stand. I don't think he has it in him. You obviously think otherwise, and that's fine, but I don't see where you get your optimism from.

If hope is all you've got.....good luck with that. I hope too, but to me there's no basis for that hope.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:adam, how much longer would YOU give Dan here, if he continues to underachieve? Honest opinion please.

If he shows little or no bench coaching improvements?

If he and his team continues to come up small in big games?

I think this is a good topic for a poll at the end of this season. You know where I stand. I don't think he has it in him. You obviously think otherwise, and that's fine, but I don't see where you get your optimism from.

If hope is all you've got.....good luck with that. I hope too, but to me there's no basis for that hope.
I can't possibly answer the question of how much longer I would give him. It depends on a ton of different factors on how things actually play out. I do not think he should be fired today. Beyond that all I can say is we'll see how things go.

I don't see where you get my optimism from either. I never once have said "he definitely has it in him, he is the guy to get it done here". I just don't think it is set in stone that he will never get it done or that he definitely does not have it in him. And then you turn that into meaning optimism, or asskissers, or heads up asses or whatever it happens to be that day because you want somebody to be mad at. That's fine, but it is your problem and not mine.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No, I don't want to be mad at anybody, including you.

But if we have to be mad, we should be mad about the team losing....not each other.

The constant sniping isn't solving a damn thing.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

If URI extends Dan's contract again without going to the tourney, I will be shocked. Dan has proven to be one of the top 100 NCAA mens basketball coaches in the country. We need a top 50-75 coach. Dan needs to grow as a coach or head down the road. Anyone who can't see that should take a red pill.
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

"Dan needs to grow as a coach or head down the road. Anyone who can't see that should take a red pill."

Well put. He recruits at a Big Dance level coaching needs to catch up. Still time for this years team.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

brady, maybe he recruits talent but they aren't meshing......

But are they really that talented? Physically maybe....mentally?

The coach has to put all the pieces together......he's not.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:No, I don't want to be mad at anybody, including you.

But if we have to be mad, we should be mad about the team losing....not each other.

The constant sniping isn't solving a damn thing.
There is something I think we can certainly all agree on.
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I still think Hurley's young and growing. It's too soon to give up on him IMO.

I don't think that he's done any better than Baron did so far. However, Baron was basically the Jeff Fisher of college basketball coaches. You knew you'd get mediocrity every season. With Hurley I still feel like there's upside and that he can grow. I'd hate to see them get rid of him too soon only to see him go elsewhere and thrive.

I'd say if the results aren't there in 2 years then it's time to part ways. But I have no issues giving him 7 years when the first 2 or so were throwaways.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Agreed Bone. So far it's a CBI coaching job with NCAA level talent = NIT. Still 11 games left salvage season and get to DANCE!

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dean Dome88, I think we would all be shocked if Dan gets another extension....

No, he's got 5 years left on his contract I think...ATP could check that.....

But imo he does not have 5 more years to make the dance. Making the NIT every 3 years isn't what URI had in mind when they hired him.

I think the mood at Dooley and Thorr's place will change soon if it hasn't already. Doubts have to be creeping in, even with them.

scine, that's about what I'm thinking too....I think 1 more year [after this] of no dance should be enough....but I doubt they would pull the plug that soon.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Didn't they get some money for one of his extensions from the URI Foundation with expectation they would pay it back when we made the dance? I seem to recall reading something like that...it was so the tax payers wouldn't have a hissy. All this investment in the program was done with the expectation of increased ticket revenue, NCAA money, etc...none of which is happening. It's ironic that if we had that money coming in we could afford to buy him out, but wouldn't want to...but without that money coming in we may want to buy him out, but probably wont be able to afford it!
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thorr and Dooley took somewhat of a gamble on an unproven coach at this level.......and anticipated a dance invite soon when they extended him [twice] and maybe they've lost the gamble.

At URI, Murphy's law is a given.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

For the last five years we have had trolls telling us to enjoy our time with Hurley before he leaves us for greener pastures...when do you think they start trolling us by telling us we are stuck with him, and he only got where he is because of his last name?
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

it just really doesn't matter, the title of the thread, what matters is results. We are no closer to our goal in year five of DH's tenure than we were in year five of JB's tenure. I'm totally in favor of renaming the thread if that will make people feel better about having the discussion. The real question should be; "Are the results fulfilling the expectations?" and assuming they are not; "how much more slack does the current structure have to achieve the expected results?" At this point it could be considered insane to expect better results with the information we have.

Also, for those who think its a bad look for this board to compare the two coaches because it says something about our cred, I'll say this, the powers that be don't care if we are smart, well informed, or a bunch of bubs, they care about prying our wallets open.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

1 or 2 more years after this year without making the dance and he must be fired.
Is there any school with the resources we have and have put in the amount of effort into the program we have in the last 17 years and not made the tournament. We've found every conscievable way to miss the tournament.

Maybe the players should take more blame. They make some unfathomable decisions on the court.
But that may be from Dan's micro-managing and not disciplining them in the right way. Especially on offense.

Dan in high school was 223-21 or something like that. He probably had waaay better talent than most, but nonetheless, never experienced the things that had happened here the last couple years.
At Wagner. The first year doubled the wins of the year prior to him getting there, then the next year they win 28 games. They were upset in the conferencd tournament, but those Wagner teams weren't perplexingly inconsistent.
And that 28 win team probably wasn't all that superior in talent to the rest of the league but still dominated.

He gets here, first three years, got better each year and almost won the league with a bunch of underclassmen and TJ BUCHANAN.
That guy^ seemed to be the key to those early Hirley teams. Emotionally keeping them together.
That's the type of player we are dearly missing, where I feel like none of the current players have been able to fill that role. They don't have a strong leader on the court.
I feel like they need that. Maybe someone can step up. Maybe none of them can.

Also, I don't think Dan has ever encountered as a coach, the ridiculous level of injuries we have had the last two years. The players probably haven't either. It would have to be very difficult for any program to go through what we have gone through, especially when nobody has gone through something like that.
Ridiculous bad luck.

Now I don't think Dan's done a good job and I'm not totally excusing him at all. Some of the issues that are going on should never happen.

I'm not ready to say he's a terrible coach yet. He has faults, but I kinda can't blame the team for struggling like they are now. How can you be consistent when you've never experienced any in the last two years?

Not having a TJ Buchanan type leader, Dan not schooling the offense, micromanaging, and the ridiculously unreasonable amount of injury problems- ( EC ACL, Hass having a lingering injury then finally having to sit the rest of the year, Kuran's ankle that put him out a couple games, then his concussion, Jarvis' Jaw, Christions concussion, also Ifeanyi and Butts leaving/not being eligible. Hare before all that.
EC hangover, Dowtin ankle, Hass quad, Thompson patela, Jarvis MONO)
Pretty hard to be cohesive with all that.
Still have a month and a half to get the job done. Hope they do it.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dayton has been hit with many more injuries than us and it doesn't seem to affect them whatsoever in regards to making the tournament.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote:Dayton has been hit with many more injuries than us and it doesn't seem to affect them whatsoever in regards to making the tournament.
Not in the last two years they haven't.
And most of their guys have been together for a while as well.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Bottom line...this roster is experienced, "supposedly" talented, deeper than any previous team, athletic, and from what we're led to believe hungry and hard workers.

Find me a team in this country that doesn't have some type of injury, health, sickness, eligibility issues, etc. Nobody wants to hear that.

Based on my first sentence, this team is wayyyy underachieving. You put that on both the players and the coaches.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Bottom line...this roster is experienced, "supposedly" talented, deeper than any previous team, athletic, and from what we're led to believe hungry and hard workers.

Find me a team in this country that doesn't have some type of injury, health, sickness, eligibility issues, etc. Nobody wants to hear that.

Based on my first sentence, this team is wayyyy underachieving. You put that on both the players and the coaches.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think their results are pretty similar CFL and DH

I still like DH better more likeable I just couldn't root for CFL I wanted him gone so badly
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dayton didn't just have injuries...they've lost several players....a couple for legal issues, one died....plus injuries....their Elite 8 season they basically had 6 players.

And Archie did struggle his first couple of season there....but boy did he improve......our coach shows no sign of improvement after almost 5 years.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:No, he's got 5 years left on his contract I think...ATP could check that......
Anyone can check it out just by going on Google and searching for it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Dayton didn't just have injuries...they've lost several players....a couple for legal issues, one died....plus injuries....their Elite 8 season they basically had 6 players.

And Archie did struggle his first couple of season there....but boy did he improve......our coach shows no sign of improvement after almost 5 years.
I've never understood why Archie got extra credit for playing shorthanded because his team had legal issues. Maybe don't recruit trouble makers and you won't be shorthanded?
0 x