Jim Baron 2.0

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Jim Baron 2.0

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

giovanni wrote:Whether you like Thorr or not, tough to put any blame on him for the failure of this team for this season. Or not meeting our expectations. He hired Dan and was applauded. Not sure if there was anyone who didn't think Dan was a great and a splash hire. Many didn't think our program could get him. And then when others came calling, he did what most would have wanted and did what he had to do to retain Danny. If he would have gotten away, he would have been criticized by some for not being able to retain his services. To say Thorr should go or may go may have some legitimacy , but not based on Dan's hire or this disappointing season.
Exactly. Dan was a no doubt hire and considered a steal
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
giovanni wrote:Whether you like Thorr or not, tough to put any blame on him for the failure of this team for this season. Or not meeting our expectations. He hired Dan and was applauded. Not sure if there was anyone who didn't think Dan was a great and a splash hire. Many didn't think our program could get him. And then when others came calling, he did what most would have wanted and did what he had to do to retain Danny. If he would have gotten away, he would have been criticized by some for not being able to retain his services. To say Thorr should go or may go may have some legitimacy , but not based on Dan's hire or this disappointing season.
Exactly. Dan was a no doubt hire and considered a steal
Just a fun fact..........

Congrats to Da_Process_Survivor for bring the 1000th reply on Jim Baron 2.0!!! :D :D :D
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If we do not get to the tourney somehow this season, Hurley will have used up all his name power...nobody will be hyping our team in the preseason again until he actually succeeds. He will have wasted his name power and will be just another D1 coach who hasn't made the dance.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The team is just sloppy. Doesn't value the ball. Lots of sloppy turnovers. Sloppy foul shooting. They don't seem to think it's important. That's coaching.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

And I would have made the same hire as well as most people so don't think it's Thorr
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Um, Tyson was only a 64% free throw shooter in his senior season.
He clearly choked.
How does anyone blame a coach for missed free throws in
clutch situations?
At some point, it's the players who perform.

RIFan wrote:
This isn't all Dan's fault...but the buck does stop with him. When EC had his three FT's and missed the first 2, all I could think of was Tyson vs Stanford in the Elite 8 game...EC hit the 3rd, but same outcome. It's been going on forever...

I take exception with your comparison as I think it unfair to Wheeler. The Stanford game was an exception for Tyson. He didn't typically miss ft's and won URI many big games in crunch time. EC's performance last night was the norm for him. He has made mistakes down the stretch in many games that have cost us big wins

True, this was Tyson's worst FT shooting year of his 4 years when he shot 64%, his Senior year. I was only making the point whereby it was said that "he didn't typically miss ft's" where in reality he was not a knock down ft shooter.
True it's not the Coaches fault if players miss ft's.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What is it about playing for URI that causes their players to be poor FT shooters?

Not only poor, but worse as time goes on? Except for Hassan anyway....

Was Jeff Dowtin a 44% FT shooter in HS or prep? I think not.

As the pressure increases, we get worse.....

What made Jimmy Baron a very good FT shooter? His constant practice of them...his desire to be good at them....not just shooting 3's....he knew that FT's make the difference in most close games......

Dan has hinted that some of his players aren't the hardest workers outside of practice......

Do our players practice them in their free time? I'll bet they don't. If they suck at them, they have to work harder and smarter to overcome that weakness.

Our players' desire to get better has to be questioned, at least imo.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Hey, once again, this was not a shot a Wheeler, just a bad memory of us missing critical FTs in a big game that we ended up losing...so sorry that only the biggest meltdown and disappointment in URI basketball history came to mind as I saw us missing critical FTs in a important tight games final moments.

BTW, I know he won lots of games for us and we would not have been there without him, and other things happened that also lead to the loss...but he did miss those FTs...that's an unfortunate fact and part of his legacy, you take the good with the bad.

I did not mean to sully Tysons name by comparing him to EC if that's what is upsetting people. As far as URI careers go there is no comparison (so far, but EC still has time change that).
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 11 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RIFan, it's been said before...but it's like Groundhog Day, but so far it's not ending........

This team lacks the mental toughness that is the difference between winning and losing when push comes to shove.

And the coach lacks it too....the team is a reflection of that.

EC giggling at the line when shooting [and missing] key FT's.....that's a prime example of the lack of focus and concentration that he and others display at critical moments in a game.

His mind was somewhere else.....that will get you beat every stinking time.

Dan should do what coach K did...take their privileges away.....not just talk about it. For Duke lately, it seems to have worked.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:
EC giggling at the line when shooting [and missing] key FT's......
I have to admit...that was right in front of us and seemed quite wtf-ish....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No excuse for that EC you killed us at the line last night

He did hit some huge shots in the last 10 minutes that we really needed but you can't piss your pants at the line with the game on the line
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:EC giggling at the line when shooting [and missing] key FT's.....that's a prime example of the lack of focus and concentration that he and others display at critical moments in a game.

His mind was somewhere else.....that will get you beat every stinking time.
You literally have no idea what was or wasn't on his mind when he shot those free throws. And it's funny, I seem to remember when Jared Terrell missed the first of two key free throws against Nebraska and smirked/giggled he was praised on here for not letting the free throw effect him
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I share everyone's frustration with the position of the program at this point, but If I had to guess, E.C.'s giggles were probably a nervous laughter likely indicating he doesn't handle crunch time all that well, I find it hard to believe he thought any of that was funny.
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree, it was likely nerves and he didn't think it was funny...not sure if that's really any better?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Of course it's better. One is that he cares too much, one is he doesn't care. Obviously you'd love him to handle the situation and knock down those free throws, but the level of attacking I've seen towards a college kid has been excessive since Friday night. Go look at his Instagram page and tell me he thinks it's funny. There's not one person on here taking it worse than he is.

You want to say he performed poorly, fair. You want to call out players when there's a lack of effort, so be it, though I don't think that's what happened here. You want to pile on when a college player didn't execute even though they tried, then I'm not with you anymore
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe you're right there RR2, I was just throwing out the possibility.....my bad

Maybe EC works his ass off...maybe he doesn't who knows...unfortunately maybe he just doesn't have the mental makeup necessary to perform well under pressure.

We don't have enough guys on this team that can, obviously.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't question for a second the effort that any of those guys put out there...and I don't even think he played that poorly. The only part of the game that torqued me was the FTs...would have preferred a different reaction...not "piling on"...just making an observation. I feel bad for the kid, but as a fan of an upperclassman D1 athlete...that was a little tough to watch...felt bad for the kid, just wish his nervousness wasn't so transparent in that sitch. Was tough to watch and not sure how that's even controvesial...
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Terrell with ball 7 sec left was the right call. Our best 1 on 1 player with proven finish skills and the ability to make pressure foul shots. Credit to Dayton for anticipating and bring strong help defense. It was our best play.

The staff blowing the last TO on a pep talk was inexcusable IMO. With the long play under review there was plenty of time to pick your inbound play and execute it and keep the time out in your pocket if the inbounds pass was denied....which it was.

2 days later I can't make sense out of it. Nuts!
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

hrstrat57 wrote:Terrell with ball 7 sec left was the right call. Our best 1 on 1 player with proven finish skills and the ability to make pressure foul shots. Credit to Dayton for anticipating and bring strong help defense. It was our best play.

The staff blowing the last TO on a pep talk was inexcusable IMO. With the long play under review there was plenty of time to pick your inbound play and execute it and keep the time out in your pocket if the inbounds pass was denied....which it was.

yup, absolutely zero ways to justify burning the last time out there. 5-10 minute delay while they look at the replay, you get 1.4 and a baseline inbounds and then you burn the time out? and sure enough Dowtin got stuck with no pass to make and no time out to use.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:Terrell with ball 7 sec left was the right call. Our best 1 on 1 player with proven finish skills and the ability to make pressure foul shots. Credit to Dayton for anticipating and bring strong help defense. It was our best play.

Totally agree with the play through JT with 7 seconds left...they walled him off, to their credit...sometimes he gets a foul call there, sometimes not (maybe that was in 'sanctuary time'?)..whatever, I like the play call. Would have preferred to see the inbounds ball just tossed up to the rim, compared to what we got...but, what're ya gonna do?

Thrash the Metro Rams...the season's not over!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

As it stands today, we are 3-8 against the top 100, and the bonnies are at 100. Next bonnie's loss and we are 2-8 against top 100.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yuck that is not big dance worthy !!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You nailed it reef.........the rpi will not save us....and wait until next year when the rpi is de-emphasized in favor of other metrics.....

blueram....with that record against the top 100...it's amazing that there is any serious thought of us getting an at large.

People are way too focused on our RPI.....that by itself isn't anywhere near enough.

Yes if we somehow end up in the 20's...we'll get in.....but how can anybody expect us to do that?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Two things. One, the inbounds play was great. Any time you can get a clean look for a good player to win the game with a second left you have done your job as a coach. It wasn't that hard of a pass. Have to make it. Second, I have no problem with Terrell getting the ball. The issue is that it was him dribbling 100 mph into a double team. Just look at the Dayton full court play right before that. Night and day. Seven seconds is a lot of time. What the hell was DH even drawing up the whole time?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I doubt Dan drew up what Terrell tried to do. If so, that's pathetic.

I have said this before....give the ball to JD and see what he can do.....he sees the floor, doesn't panic, and could get the ball to an open man.

At least it would be nice to get at least an open look for once, instead of no shot at all.

Of course we'd miss the shot, but maybe a rebound? Anything is better than what usually happens.

I think we will hopefully see Dan do this the next time this situation comes up.

We need a closer. Nobody else on this team seems capable of it.....so he's a freshman...so what?
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

"At least it would be nice to get at least an OPEN look for once, instead of no shot at all."

How about just getting any type of shot off at this point. Baby step.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote:I doubt Dan drew up what Terrell tried to do. If so, that's pathetic.

I have said this before....give the ball to JD and see what he can do.....he sees the floor, doesn't panic, and could get the ball to an open man.
I replayed that play about ten times. Dayton took the ball to the right side of the floor. The ball handler got a screen which allowed him to get to the middle. From there....A.)the guy in the right corner replaced him on the wing (he would have been open if they stopped dribble penetration). B. The screener dove towards the basket to be in position for a board or dump off. The only guy who didn't move was the guy who wasn't supposed to, the one who made the shot when his defender sagged. Contrast that to what DH drew up. No one did anything! Not only that...but the guy trailing is Hassan!! You think Dayton is afraid of him taking a three to win? It allowed another defender in the lane. Horrible.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The thing is, whatever Archie draws up his team has likely practiced it many many times and when it comes up in a game, they actually go out and EXECUTE the play the way it was drawn up.

What do we do? Do we practice end of game plays? What are the plays? It's obvious to anyone with eyes that whatever "play" we are trying to run breaks down immediately.....either the coach can't draw a play to save his ass...or his players aren't disciplined enough to repeat what they've practiced.....if I'm the opposing coach I must love preparing for us....they see what we see on tape and are 2 steps ahead of whatever we're trying to do, if anything.

This has happened for almost 5 years.....it's not all on the players unless our guys are the dumbest things on two feet.....maybe that's why our practices are closed so people won't see that we don't have a clue.

And this doesn't just apply to our "offensive" end of game plays....this relates to how we defend against them too.

We are lost both ways. And that my friends, falls on this coach, bottom line.

maybe Dan will figure it out....some day.......I'm not holding my breath.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

That Rambone78 is the $1m question. A lot of things have improved. I think we would now win our fair share of the early season blown games cause we actually run/execute. some fine plays now in half court and our help defense is very masked with multiple looks.

But the last 45 seconds Friday night was a disaster. So baffling cause we went toe to toe with Dayton for 39 minutes. I really thought we played an outstanding game.

So frustrating...we answered every bell until the final minute.

My hope as I said in the Fordham thread is we finish the season angry. Crush the cupcakes....and I mean crush.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I am by no means trying to say that Jim Baron was a better coach than Dan Hurley. And maybe these numbers will change. But for right now these are pretty damning numbers. Here is each coach's record with URI in games either decided by 5 points or less or in overtime. I did not include NIT games.

Jim Baron: 61-50 for a 54.95 winning %
Dan Hurley: 22-35 for a 38.60 winning %

Baron's winning % with URI was .523 so he actually did better in closer games than his winning %. Hurley so far is at .520 so clearly he's done worse as the games have gotten closer.

I didn't go into detail about games decided by 1, 2, etc, but I can tell you that Hurley's had a lot more losses than he does wins in 1 possession games. And Baron appeared to be the opposite although I didn't confirm it.

But this is just something to think about when comparing these 2 guys and the rush to judgement that Hurley is leaps and bounds better than Baron.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

scine20 wrote:I am by no means trying to say that Jim Baron was a better coach than Dan Hurley. And maybe these numbers will change. But for right now these are pretty damning numbers. Here is each coach's record with URI in games either decided by 5 points or less or in overtime. I did not include NIT games.

Baron's winning % with URI was .523 so he actually did better in closer games than his winning %. Hurley so far is at .520 so clearly he's done worse as the games have gotten closer.

I didn't go into detail about games decided by 1, 2, etc, but I can tell you that Hurley's had a lot more losses than he does wins in 1 possession games. And Baron appeared to be the opposite although I didn't confirm it.

But this is just something to think about when comparing these 2 guys and the rush to judgement that Hurley is leaps and bounds better than Baron.
This would be extremely hard/time consuming to put together I assume, but I would be interested to see some sort of numbers based on who those games were against as well. I have no idea who it would favor, but for example of what I am thinking, there is a big difference between a win by less than 5 points against like Maine or whatever and a loss by less than 5 points to Duke or whatever. Again, no clue who that would favor but it would provide some important context.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

adam, my guess is that Baron's numbers were worse than 55% against good teams.....but Hurley's numbers are bad no matter how you slice it.....

I think Dan's had one year where we were decent in close games....TJ's senior year.....and we still lost the ones that would have made the difference late in the season.....

The bottom line is, if DH doesn't improve on these numbers he's gone....it's just a matter of when......we will never return to the NCAAT unless we turn around the futility in close games.

Dayton turned their fortunes around soon after Archie replaced Gregory......it is all about the coach and the players they recruit.

I remember reading their board the last couple of years Gregory was there.....they were absolutely despondent about his inability to win key games at the end....including against us. Couldn't win on the road....sound familiar?

Archie changed the culture there.....Dan has done that here too....but not the most important part...the part about winning.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rambone 78 wrote:adam, my guess is that Baron's numbers were worse than 55% against good teams.....but Hurley's numbers are bad no matter how you slice it.....

I think Dan's had one year where we were decent in close games....TJ's senior year.....and we still lost the ones that would have made the difference late in the season.....

The bottom line is, if DH doesn't improve on these numbers he's gone....it's just a matter of when......we will never return to the NCAAT unless we turn around the futility in close games.

Dayton turned their fortunes around soon after Archie replaced Gregory......it is all about the coach and the players they recruit.

I remember reading their board the last couple of years Gregory was there.....they were absolutely despondent about his inability to win key games at the end....including against us. Couldn't win on the road....sound familiar?

Archie changed the culture there.....Dan has done that here too....but not the most important part...the part about winning.
Correct, the only year over .500 that he had was 2014-2015, which was Buchanon's senior year. He was 8-6 that year. Last year they were 3-10!

Baron had years when they were 7-3, 9-4 and 7-1. And Baron only had 1 year when they were more than 2 games under .500 in these situation, 2-7 in 2004-2005. Including this year Hurley's already had 3 in 5 years. Still time to change this year but it's hard to have confidence when the games get close given their track record under Hurley.
Last edited by scine20 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I said we would have to be well over .500 in close games to dance this year.....and I wasn't confident that would happen in spite of the false hype surrounding this team.

Well unfortunately I was right.....we are sucking again......it's more than a trend now......and I will be shocked if it ever turns around with this coach.....no matter who he recruits. Players with high BB IQ are hard to find...and we haven't found very many the last 5 years.

We even turn good FT shooters into clankers after they come here......
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

adam914 wrote:
scine20 wrote:I am by no means trying to say that Jim Baron was a better coach than Dan Hurley. And maybe these numbers will change. But for right now these are pretty damning numbers. Here is each coach's record with URI in games either decided by 5 points or less or in overtime. I did not include NIT games.

This would be extremely hard/time consuming to put together I assume, but I would be interested to see some sort of numbers based on who those games were against as well. I have no idea who it would favor, but for example of what I am thinking, there is a big difference between a win by less than 5 points against like Maine or whatever and a loss by less than 5 points to Duke or whatever. Again, no clue who that would favor but it would provide some important context.
In games against top 100 RPI opponents Hurley is 17-53 (4-35 against top 50) and in games decided by 5 or less/ot Hurley is 7-24 against top 100 opponents. I used ESPN for the RPI numbers and they don't go back far enough to look at Baron, if I have time later I'll find another site to look at Baron's numbers.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah I've seen those numbers before....every time someone brings them up I feel like bringing something else up....like bile......

What are the numbers this year...oh wait never mind...they're still bad......

Wonder if Thorr and Dooley have those numbers at hand....they should look at them, a lot.

They will never admit it, because they were the two that hired him, that maybe things just didn't work out.

My guess is, DH's numbers in close games might be the worst in program history for any coach that lasted 5 or more years.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Get ready for the big turnaround...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think the fat lady sang tonight.
1 x
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

DUMP DAN!
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jim Baron is suddenly looking a whole lot better.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

DUMP DAN!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

What a bunch of clowns. Its glaring. Tell Dan to hit the road, take your 6'5 center with you. Dont forget EC who hasn't sprinted in years.

This program is a joke. I dont think I will go to any more games this year despite having multiple tickets to each game.

There is zero discipline in the way they play.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Fordham coach absolutely ran rings around ours tonight. That was a great defensive game plan......and we did NOTHING to counter it.

Didn't even get open shots...and our FT shooting? Hard to describe how bad that is.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

One of the arguments from the Hurley kool-aid drinkers is that Hurley has improved the program as a whole. While I agree that's true, it really serves as more of an indictment on Hurley and his failures.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

STC, the infrastructure has improved....but that's something that any new coach who came here after Baron would have been expected to do.....Hurley got the school to spend big money to help him [DH] make the dance....and he fucked them up the you-know-what instead......

At least whenever the school can get out from the latest guaranteed mess they got themselves into....the new coach will have a better program from which to start.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Come on, Bone. He fucked URI up the ass?

Language choice aside you cannot be serious if you believe Dan isn't extremely motivated to win here, compensation aside. It is fair to say things aren't working out right now but get a grip or give the board a rest.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I watch several college games a week and have done that for many years. Cant remember a coach appearing so defeated with over a minute to go down 2 possessions.

Just very disappointing stuff.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ATP, I was being facetious.....of course not......just that he promised us a rose garden...and all we're getting are thorns.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

After the killer loss to Dayton, you would expect the kids to be down. It's up to the coach to get them back up. It didn't happen, not even close. Now, I wouldn't be shocked if we lose every game from here on out considering the state of mind of the team.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

At the risk of getting trolled here,
ever notice that when PC losses, they come back with a big win?
Lose to Butler in January and beat Georgetown twice.
Lose to St. John's beat Marquette on the road.
Lose to Villanova and Seton Hall and come back to beat Butler
and Xavier.
Ever listen to Ed Cooley? He's the Happy Warrior.
Always positive about his team, and their outlook.
Encourages them to enjoy themselves and have fun
playing the game.
His teams are resilient and bounce back, regardless of the cast
of players.
I'll just leave it at that..............
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.