Jim Baron 2.0

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Jim Baron 2.0

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yeah gotta admit I'm not super keen on the Archie vs. DH bit....some apparently sketchy dudes in Flyer red.

I kinda like our guys better....I'd like it if we won tho.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:Dean Dome88, I think we would all be shocked if Dan gets another extension....

No, he's got 5 years left on his contract I think...ATP could check that.....

But imo he does not have 5 more years to make the dance. Making the NIT every 3 years isn't what URI had in mind when they hired him.

I think the mood at Dooley and Thorr's place will change soon if it hasn't already. Doubts have to be creeping in, even with them.

scine, that's about what I'm thinking too....I think 1 more year [after this] of no dance should be enough....but I doubt they would pull the plug that soon.

He should get no more extensions until he makes the dance. If someone calls inquiring about his services, grant the permission to speak with him. He has not met expectations five years in and it is no given that he will lead URI to the NCAA any time soon. He runs a clean competitive program but he is being paid for better results than we have seen. I would guess that after this season, the shine will have come off Dan. I don't think any bigger name programs will be knocking down his door soon. He has to produce NCAA bids in order to get further extensions at URI or be courted by big name schools. He, with seven years of D1 experience, is no longer judged on what he might do but is instead going forward will be judged on what he has done.
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I think your comments are a bit premature. There are still 11 games left in this season
which is more than 1/3 of the games still to be played. If the season does not turn around then
you may have a point. why don't we wait and see what happens before we overreact . Since
you want to judge Dan on what he has done I think we should give him the rest of the season
before we judge him.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Every game I hold my breath and wonder if it is a point in the season we can point to 6 months from now and say "it was there that URI stepped up. Figured it out."

Loss or Win. Doesn't matter.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

DH seems to be blaming things on the players...not ready to play by his quotes......

Does anybody think that's the only reason this team has shit the bed?

LaSalle and Richmond, and the beginning of the UMass game yes, they weren't ready to play.

Those are recent games.....not good.

What about all of the other losses?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......the "faceless opponents" often give us a hit early on in games......our response to that is keep to the game plan and system cause it is supposed to win out over the long run of the game because of our talent......when that sometimes fails in the losses, the adjustments, zone press etc, are too late.....we do not respond well at all to the punch in the face.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

that's all on the coaching staff, 105.......stubbornness?.....we used to complain that Baron 's substitutions and adjustments didn't fit the "game flow"....same stuff is happening now.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

...... I do think Dan is still on a learning curve, yes even in year five, I do also think he was supposed to be more A-10 ready than he has shown......there are system coaches and adjustment coaches......and Dan subscribes to his system more than the adaptations of the system either the game conditions or the faceless opponents.......this I was not what I was expecting.....limited time remains for for better players in the system, or modifications to the systems.....time will tell....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

so 105, who is replacing Hass and KI next year? That's about 24 ppg. Fatts?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote:so 105, who is replacing Hass and KI next year? That's about 24 ppg. Fatts?
.....nothing, it seems, is going to be an immediate impact player.....development of the "deep bench" bigs appears to be at best an unknown......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cyril should develop big time he needs to work on that offense and get his hands better and make his lay ups
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....and free throws....if he is gonna be that inside offense presence......big man camp.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Yeah, as a team we are mediocre, and streaky.............I always wondered if all the orders that come in as the players are going to the line are distracting.

Back on point [Baron 2.0]. I feel the title of this thread is an insult to Hurley. I know everybody here has a right to an opinion [like myself].
.....Hurley is hard working. He is not afraid to raise the bar. He is a good defensive coach. He has brought in high character players.

.....Hurley did not have a lot of D1 coaching experience at this level.
- He had no recruiting base at this level, yet has done above average.
- He is on a steep learning curve.....game management -offensive sets - changing things up.

I just hope he realizes that the reasons things don't always go well, is because he still has a lot of learn.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

CTRamfan wrote:Yeah, as a team we are mediocre, and streaky.............I always wondered if all the orders that come in as the players are going to the line are distracting.

Back on point [Baron 2.0]. I feel the title of this thread is an insult to Hurley. I know everybody here has a right to an opinion [like myself].
.....Hurley is hard working. He is not afraid to raise the bar. He is a good defensive coach. He has brought in high character players.

- He is on a steep learning curve.....game management -offensive sets - changing things up.

I just hope he realizes that the reasons things don't always go well, is because he still has a lot of learn.
CT, I agree with your overall assessment. However I do not think he is a good defensive coach, yet. His base D is fine, but he needs to be creative, and find some alternatives. As many have said many times, the roster is built for full court pressure, but we don't really apply it often, and only when things are out of hand. Plus some zone here and there. I wish he would at least give it some thought. He seems fatefully stubborn bout it.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

CTRamfan wrote:Yeah, as a team we are mediocre, and streaky.............I always wondered if all the orders that come in as the players are going to the line are distracting.

In the interest of fairness, Baron took St Francis to the tournament in his 5th year as a D1 head coach. And took St Bonaventure to the tournament.

I don't buy the recruiting base, facilities, financial support arguments as hurdles holding Hurley back
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: I've never understood why Archie got extra credit for playing shorthanded because his team had legal issues. Maybe don't recruit trouble makers and you won't be shorthanded?
How the hell does a coach know if a kid is a trouble-maker? He goes to the games, he sees him on the court ... Kids are never arrested, so there is no sort of criminal/juvenile record. Talks to people around the HS/AAU program, who only see the kids in a certain light ... A lot of kids, they have troubled pasts ... Family issues, etc... Some of these guys, they have kids at 17/18 years old ... Does all that make them bad? If you ruled out every kid with a questionable past, how many potential recruits would be left? How many recruits come from stellar families from great areas with strong academic background and no hint of potential risk? All you can do is try to limit the risk, but sometimes regardless of what you do, there may still be issues that pop up. Tough to blame the coach, unless he's Keno Davis letting guys run around campus like it's the Wild West, but not every suspension is a result of lack of institutional control. It would be like blaming Coach Hurley for saying he shouldn't recruit injury-prone players and he wouldn't be shorthanded. How would he have been able to see these injuries coming?
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This thread is still dumb.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want it gone before it hits page 20
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

reef wrote:I want it gone before it hits page 20
And I want a coach who can actually coach, or win on the road, or win a close game...
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What would we give to have such a coach?

I wish this thread would go away too, but I'm afraid it's here for a while.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Nobody likes the fact this thread exists, but I assume it's here to stay until he makes the dance or is no longer the coach...
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm only making observations, not predicting the future, but I will say anything is possible going forward. DH has only been coaching college bball for 7 years, Bill Bellichick was fired from his first head coaching job, now he could be considered the best NFL coach of all time. So there's always room to envision multiple scenarios. The one that I can imagine where DH ascends would include him stepping out of his box (his pre-planned stratagem) and embracing all aspects of offense and defense as dictated by constantly changing variables with regards to the team/players and the in game needs. This is how Bellichick has made his living, he's diminished his own players inadequacies and exploited other team's player's inadequacies with keen strategies and adjustments on the fly. He didn't adhere to one system at the expense of preparing alternate contingencies. The Pats do a great job keeping other teams off balance, we have to be able to do the same.
Last edited by Running Ram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR, DH has shown flashes of being a good bench coach....as the team has shown at times they can be very good....

The issue is consistency....both have to start stepping up in class, i.e. start doing it more often and against better teams.

If Dan is capable of that, then there is hope...but the clock is ticking.....

This team as I said at the beginning of this season, had Sweet 16 talent, if it was being maxed out....which we all know hasn't been...injuries have played a part but again not the be all excuse.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I'm not in the coaches' offices, nor am I an expert on coaching, but I think the best coaches are constantly looking to steal ideas from other coaches, rather than just rely on themselves. Like I said...not in the office, so I don't know, but it seems Dan might be more the self reliant type? Like...do you think he seeks advice or get ideas from anyone? (Maybe he does and I'm totally wrong? I hope so)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote:Nobody likes the fact this thread exists, but I assume it's here to stay until he makes the dance or is no longer the coach...
Why when Hurley is no longer the coach? Wouldn't you want to compare the next Coach to Baron too (2.0)?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Like...do you think he seeks advice or get ideas from anyone? (Maybe he does and I'm totally wrong? I hope so)
He's mentioned coaches he speaks to. I believe McKillop and Donovan are two in particular
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Like...do you think he seeks advice or get ideas from anyone? (Maybe he does and I'm totally wrong? I hope so)
He's mentioned coaches he speaks to. I believe McKillop and Donovan are two in particular
Good deal, hadn't heard that, but glad someone has.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

He's been making huge changes with results that are paying off. As I have said (and DH had mentioned)this is a tough group to get on the same page. He's putting in a lot of plays and Terrell for one example has looked lost at times. The new zone press with Akele or Iverson at the top with multiple looks has been nice. Iverson passing from high post to down low over top of defense using his height has been effective - a nice pass to HM out of this set late in 2nd half lead to a big bucket. We even have some inbounds plays now which is nice.

Start making contested layups with frequency and this team can still earn a bid. Yesterday's nearly sold out building witnessing a strong finish under pressure helped a lot.

This thread can still be killed by winning but the clock is ticking.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:He's been making huge changes with results that are paying off. As I have said (and DH had mentioned)this is a tough group to get on the same page. He's putting in a lot of plays and Terrell for one example has looked lost at times. The new zone press with Akele or Iverson at the top with multiple looks has been nice. Iverson passing from high post to down low over top of defense using his height has been effective - a nice pass to HM out of this set late in 2nd half lead to a big bucket. We even have some inbounds plays now which is nice.

Start making contested layups with frequency and this team can still earn a bid. Yesterday's nearly sold out building witnessing a strong finish under pressure helped a lot.

This thread can still be killed by winning but the click is ticking.
Agree with most of these things...I like the zone press, you'll get burned on it every now and then, but that risk goes with the territory. Have always thought that KI's passing was a key component and yes, they're even running some nice inbound plays. All great...and while it would've been nice if it happened earlier...hopefully, we're getting to where these things become'the norm.'

I wonder if JB has any idea just how much his legacy lives on here...? Say what you want (and people have for almost 20 pages), but he left a serious impression......
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:He's been making huge changes with results that are paying off. As I have said (and DH had mentioned)this is a tough group to get on the same page. He's putting in a lot of plays and Terrell for one example has looked lost at times. The new zone press with Akele or Iverson at the top with multiple looks has been nice. Iverson passing from high post to down low over top of defense using his height has been effective - a nice pass to HM out of this set late in 2nd half lead to a big bucket. We even have some inbounds plays now which is nice.

This thread can still be killed by winning but the click is ticking.
Agree with most of these things...I like the zone press, you'll get burned on it every now and then, but that risk goes with the territory. Have always thought that KI's passing was a key component and yes, they're even running some nice inbound plays. All great...and while it would've been nice if it happened earlier...hopefully, we're getting to where these things become'the norm.'

I wonder if JB has any idea just how much his legacy lives on here...? Say what you want (and people have for almost 20 pages), but he left a serious impression......
Brings up a thought I believe I'm mentioned before. I think a lot of posters who post controversial stuff do so thinking the targets won't read it or hear about it.

Doesnt work that way peeps! They might not read it all but some family member, friend or staffer is reading it. The gist of vitriol gets back. If you don't think so you're not paying attention to the 21st century.

This thread pops up first page on every internet search. It is on the radar. That's in part why I do my best to play nice.....that and this is my school, my team.

Win!
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

ramster wrote:
RIFan wrote:Nobody likes the fact this thread exists, but I assume it's here to stay until he makes the dance or is no longer the coach...
Why when Hurley is no longer the coach? Wouldn't you want to compare the next Coach to Baron too (2.0)?
Only if he deserves it...and I hope for all our sake he doesn't. Also, I think the title would change to 3.0. BTW, it seems that this thread means something slightly different to everyone with the one nearly universally comparison being lack of a tourney bid. It has become a catch all for all complaints regarding the coach
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote:
ramster wrote:
Only if he deserves it...and I hope for all our sake he doesn't. Also, I think the title would change to 3.0. BTW, it seems that this thread means something slightly different to everyone with the one nearly universally comparison being lack of a tourney bid. It has become a catch all for all complaints regarding the coach
but if Hurley stays here longer than Baron without a dance, the next would be Hurley 2.0.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hurley won't be here that long if he doesn't dance.....

And if he ever did so without dancing...heaven forbid....no one would care anymore.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The ? Is when we head to the A10 tourney will we have to win it to dance or just make the finals then lose ??
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

reef....7-3 or worse we will have to win the A10T......8-2 probably have to make the final.

If we win our next 3 we have a shot at 8-2 or better...but crap if we do win our next 3 we've got to beat Dayton too.

I wish I had some confidence we could do that.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

reef wrote:The ? Is when we head to the A10 tourney will we have to win it to dance or just make the finals then lose ??
You're thinking at-large?
Umm, not happening.

Course, I was wrong about Hillary.
Last edited by rhodyrudder 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rudder, that's incorrect. At-Large is still in play and it doesn't require us to win out. There are websites that help us understand this stuff now.

The problem most have is we have no idea what to expect from this team day to day.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Rudder, that's incorrect. At-Large is still in play and it doesn't require us to win out. There are websites that help us understand this stuff now.

The problem most have is we have no idea what to expect from this team day to day.
....the 64 bajillion dollar question right there....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The big question is who will the poster be to put Jim Baron 2.0 to the 20th page?
We are very, very close.
That's a very significant milestone. Very few threads ever reach 20 pages and if they do it takes much more time than this one has. Usually takes years to hit 20 pages.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......Although I still think the topic name is played out, but being a compiler of posts, I will do my part to reach 20......is there s prize?
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The only way to stop this thread from reaching 20 pages would be to go undefeated the rest of the regular season and dance.

Uh-huh.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

But

the

question

is

when,

not

if,

will

it

get

to

pages...

and

who

will

the

'lucky'

poster

be?

:lol:
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not only would a failure to dance this year be a kick in the gnads, but it would probably end any experimentation with an unproven coach in the future.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

blueram, that's something that I've thought of....very possible, although I would think URI would give Preston a very hard look.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wouldn't mind Murph getting a shot , he may be good
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......how does one define when an assistant/associate coach is "ready"?.....just asking....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

In my opinion, we don't have the luxury of hiring "proven" coaches unless we find one who wants to take a paycut, when DH was hired it was a coup because he was one of the hottest "unproven" coaches, I would imagine we would have to capitalize on the success of an "unproven" who proves himself here in order to have enough momentum and money to hire a "proven" coach and nothing is a guarantee in life. If it didn't work out for DH here I would still be in favor of trying to get the best, hottest "unproven" coach available, unless of course something else falls into our lap. I would still consider DH as a young CBB coach and I don't believe URI is going to try cut the cord with him anytime soon. In for a penny in for a pound, the results aren't what we thought they'd be by now but the team is back to being relevant within the A10, so the "process" is underway.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, I would hope if they were to hire Murph that he would bring a strong staff with him.....at least someone with experience who knows his X's and O's......he would probably keep ARD too.....and recruiting would not be an issue.

Hey it may never happen, but it's worth talking about.

RR, I think a sign that URI is putting pressure on Dan to make the dance, will be that there will be no more extensions until he does.....

Whether that hurts recruiting going forward, well DH has made his own bed by not meeting expectations to this point.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

My honest take on it, is that we will be in the at-large conversation this year and that will be good enough to keep the ball rolling. As I alluded to though, anything is possible, maybe we get the A10 championship and advance in the NCAA's, we have enough talent, just not the consistency. If DH gets the team to put it all together right now, then boom he's "proven"
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR, we would all like to see it. But we won't until we start showing that consistency against better teams, and on the road.

There are still no signs of that happening.....we have 10 more games to start seeing it.....although we'll know what we need to know after the next few games...it really is "put up or shut up" time.

Imo we have to go 3-1 in the next 2 weeks to remain in the at large conversation......I just don't see it....we keep getting teased by this team and they keep letting us down.

If we are no longer in contention for an NCAAT berth by the A10's....then serious questions need to start being asked about Dan's future here.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x