Jim Baron 2.0

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Jim Baron 2.0

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Exactly. It's almost like abundant playing time may have allowed us to lure higher ranked players and now that we don't have that same amount of playing time to offer that we aren't getting the same types of players and that we don't know the talents of these newer players because they can't get on the court as much as our earlier recruits.
I can buy that for shooting guard. EC and JT aren't giving up minutes. The appeal of a higher rated kid going to a place like URI is playing time. No highly rated PG or big is afraid of Jarvis Garrett or anyone playing next to HM.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Billyboy78 wrote:Wasn't it Carr who had the relationship with Hass?
Don't think so, Hassan was going to school a mile or two from Wagner...from what I remember it was Dan who had pre existing relationship
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I thought I remembered that Carr was friends with Hass' coach, or something like that. I could be wrong.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

TruePoint wrote:Not only is this thread still alive but we have now moved on to discussing Hurley's replacement? Unreal.

Why don't we "stay in the now" or whatever meditation people say and worry about who should be the next coach should be when we need one.

Really, talk about absolutely ridiculous. I have questioned Dan at times, but no way was I not happy he was here. Only time it should even be considered, a replacement, is if Dan were to move on to a higher paying, power school and only then. This team is still going to win the A10 in my opinion. Seriously don't see a lot of threats, certainly no one as talented. I was definitely frustrated in December with the 3 losses to Houston, PC and Valpo, but it was November and December. Long way to go. Season is really just beginning. This team has clearly not performed to our, or at least my expectations at this point, but this team unfortunately at this point, has not scratched the surface of what I believe they are capable of. I am friendly with Preston and really like him and have the utmost respect for him as a person, a coach and when he was playing here. But please let's not mention his name unless we have the misfortune of Dan moving elsewhere. At that point, ok. But please it is January 3rd, and we have an excellent shot to still win this league. To even put him in the same sentence as Jim Baron is ludicrous too. With all that being said, if Dan is questioned or criticized from time to time, that is part of the deal of heading up a program and now a winning program.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

TruePoint wrote:Not only is this thread still alive but we have now moved on to discussing Hurley's replacement? Unreal.

Why don't we "stay in the now" or whatever meditation people say and worry about who should be the next coach should be when we need one.

Really, talk about absolutely ridiculous. I have questioned Dan at times, but no way was I not happy he was here. Only time it should even be considered, a replacement, is if Dan were to move on to a higher paying, power school and only then. This team is still going to win the A10 in my opinion. Seriously don't see a lot of threats, certainly no one as talented. I was definitely frustrated in December with the 3 losses to Houston, PC and Valpo, but it was November and December. Long way to go. Season is really just beginning. This team has clearly not performed to our, or at least my expectations at this point, but this team unfortunately at this point, has not scratched the surface of what I believe they are capable of. I am friendly with Preston and really like him and have the utmost respect for him as a person, a coach and when he was playing here. But please let's not mention his name unless we have the misfortune of Dan moving elsewhere. At that point, ok. But please it is January 3rd, and we have an excellent shot to still win this league. To even put him in the same sentence as Jim Baron is ludicrous too. With all that being said, if Dan is questioned or criticized from time to time, that is part of the deal of heading up a program and now a winning program.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ah page 14. Yet another chance to remind the world that THIS IS THE DUMBEST THREAD IN THIS HISTORY OF THIS BOARD, IF NOT COLLEGE BASKETBALL.

Now people are talking new coach names? Holy shit you better be rooting for us not to make the tournament because if we dance I'm going door-to-door and pooping on your front lawns. Metaphorically for now but if this thread continues to get worse I will mean that literally.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:ah page 14. Yet another chance to remind the world that THIS IS THE DUMBEST THREAD IN THIS HISTORY OF THIS BOARD, IF NOT COLLEGE BASKETBALL.

Now people are talking new coach names? Holy shit you better be rooting for us not to make the tournament because if we dance I'm going door-to-door and pooping on your front lawns. Metaphorically for now but if this thread continues to get worse I will mean that literally.

and yet here you are...still reading it...still posting in it.

though, how will you get to everyone's house without getting lost? gotta be tough to see with your nose that far up Hurley's tailpipe
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

and the post Hurley talk is legit, no matter what side of the fence youre on.

If you're in the 'he cant get it done' camp, you talk about his replacement

If you're in the 'he can get it done' camp, you also talk about his replacement. Because if you are right, bigger jobs will come calling soon and you'll need a new coach then.
1 x
---
---
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Blue Man wrote:ah page 14. Yet another chance to remind the world that THIS IS THE DUMBEST THREAD IN THIS HISTORY OF THIS BOARD, IF NOT COLLEGE BASKETBALL.

Blue Man, I will join your Poop Caroling or is it Pooparoling? Did you know your acronym is perfect for this activity? BM
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

and yet here you are...still reading it...still posting in it.

though, how will you get to everyone's house without getting lost? gotta be tough to see with your nose that far up Hurley's tailpipe
I'm Italian. I have a huge nose so I will have no problem seeing anything.

As I have said below every single post when someone says that I'm still posting in it: every single new page, I will post that reminder, so that the people who casually peruse this message board don't think that everyone agrees with the 5 or 6 posters who think its time for a new coach in the middle of a season where we very well can still dance - nevermind who they're suggesting.

I'll ask the question again: will you even be happy if we go to the NCAA's this year?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Talk about pre-season acclaim from legitimate media personalities and basketball experts = premature
Talk about possible replacements for a coach in the middle of what could still be a successful season = justified

Only in Keaney Blue land.
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I too expect URI will win A10 regular season.

If As a result Dan moves on to a Power conference we have our replacement and all will be good.

To compare DH to CFL at the end of his tenure here is absurd.

I witnessed multiple Baron clubs lay down like dogs. He brought in bad kids. DH is quality thru and thru.

Any losses to friartown get many of us - especially the pre Sly Williams era crowd fired up. It's never, ever going to change. Just like my father never got over 1948 and 1949 and hated the tribe and the MFY....that's how I feel about friartown. Pissed off about that choke job in December? You betcha!!

He needs to beat PC and he needs a chair to sit in....

IMHO of course.

At worst the tread title should have included a ?
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:Talk about pre-season acclaim from legitimate media personalities and basketball experts = premature
Talk about possible replacements for a coach in the middle of what could still be a successful season = justified

and hyperbole is its chief export.

Only 1 or 2 random posters were dismissing the preseason hype. That is why the frustration is so high right now, we did buy in and have gotten the same things as the last 17 years...underachievement.
0 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:and the post Hurley talk is legit, no matter what side of the fence youre on.

If you're in the 'he cant get it done' camp, you talk about his replacement

If you're in the 'he can get it done' camp, you also talk about his replacement. Because if you are right, bigger jobs will come calling soon and you'll need a new coach then.
Great. Let's wait until one of those two things actually happens then we can talk about it until your heart is content. Until then, it's dumb. Even dumber than the premise that Hurley is the same as Jim Baron.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Also don't forget someone who played for Jim Baron (Will Martell) came on the board and said there was no comparison.
But why listen to an actual expert on a topic when armchair quarterbacks can provide us with their uninformed and stupid opinions.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Thinking about starting a thread to begin discussing the replacement for Hurley's replacement.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Talk about pre-season acclaim from legitimate media personalities and basketball experts = premature

and hyperbole is its chief export.

Only 1 or 2 random posters were dismissing the preseason hype. That is why the frustration is so high right now, we did buy in and have gotten the same things as the last 17 years...underachievement.
Wrong, Year 3 of Dan's tenure was an overachievement. A team of Fresh and Sophs had us very close to dancing if not for 1-2 unfortunate losses. By most expert opinions that team overachieved.
I would even argue a couple of Baron's teams exceeded expectations as well. We all want the NCAAs but it's wrong to say every season since 99 has been an underachievment vs expected results.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:Also don't forget someone who played for Jim Baron (Will Martell) came on the board and said there was no comparison.
But why listen to an actual expert on a topic when armchair quarterbacks can provide us with their uninformed and stupid opinions.

yeah, OFF the court, there is no comparison...obviously.

however, ON court results TO DATE are the same for both. Underachieve, NIT level, fail to adjust/execute in close games leading to a large number of loses by less than 5
1 x
---
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

But then why Jim Baron...if the only comparison is that neither reached the NCAA while at URI couldn't the thread have just as easily been titled Brendan Malone 2.0, Jerry Duh 2.0, Claude English 2.0. Apples and oranges are both fruit yet never confused with each other.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would like to see us Dance so Blue Man can have his poopfest......Richard Sherman be damned.......
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:Thinking about starting a thread to begin discussing the replacement for Hurley's replacement.
And that would be, what...Hurley 2.2?
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
adam914 wrote:Thinking about starting a thread to begin discussing the replacement for Hurley's replacement.
And that would be, what...Hurley 2.2?
Hurley 2.2 or Baron 2.4, I haven't decided yet. Either way I already think the guy stinks.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we can continue to play anything like we did against St. Louis going forward...then this thread will die......

If not, this thread, like the Hawk, will never die......

It starts tonight......which will it be?

Start winning the close ones....now
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Somebody needs to body slam that hawk. Where is Rhody?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy, Rod will do it when he's back to full song.....
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:If we can continue to play anything like we did against St. Louis going forward...then this thread will die......

Don't be silly...this thread will NEVER die...unless Hurls delivers a Final Four...and I'm not 100% certain of it then...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have a feeling it's going away soon especially if we win on Friday night !!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we Dance it will go away......believe me the next close game we lose, it will live.......
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:If we can continue to play anything like we did against St. Louis going forward...then this thread will die......

The hawk looked dead last night
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The key will be beating them at their place...along with UMass.........
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:If we Dance it will go away......believe me the next close game we lose, it will live.......
So basically Hurley has to go undefeated to avoid being compared to Baron? Seems reasonable.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

it's key to beat St Joe and Umass away. Also key to beat Dayton twice and VCU. Also key to beat Davidson and Lasalle, as well as GW and the Bonnies. And of course we cant lose to cellar dweller Duquesne or pesky GMU.
So yes in the gospel according to Bone simply undefeated will help stem the tide.
3 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I agree!!!!!!! This is ridiculous. I try not to read this thread, it is so damn stupid.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:it's key to beat St Joe and Umass away. Also key to beat Dayton twice and VCU. Also key to beat Davidson and Lasalle, as well as GW and the Bonnies. And of course we cant lose to cellar dweller Duquesne or pesky GMU.
So yes in the gospel according to Bone simply undefeated will help stem the tide.
...will "help" stem the tide...not sure it will go away until at least a good result on selection Sunday....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Never posted here before because it was too early to bitch, but Hurley has zero control of this team, zero.
1 x
GO RAMS
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

now accepting apologies....
0 x
---
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:now accepting apologies....
Now accepting you kissing my ass
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:now accepting apologies....
Now accepting you kissing my ass

awww, hurts seeing the emperor's new clothes...doesn't it
0 x
---
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Nope, just hurts that instead of having intelligent talk about what went right and what went wrong in a one possession game at one of the top two teams in the conference in one of the top two venues we have to deal with sorry ass posters like you.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

what's unbelievable is to see this thing play out this way this often...like, law of averages would..y'thnk...even things out, but I'm not seeing it....
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

There was a timeout before the Dayton FTs where I'm sure Hurley went over our offensive play, and then Jarvis just says "fuck it" and does his own thing? That is extremely disturbing.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Yeah that's a player issue not coach. Just like Jim Baron doesnt get credit for marquis creating 2 plays by himself, you can't penalize Hurley for jarvis going rogue and tossing up that shit.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Offense was non existent, we didn't play a st joes but I watched every second and it was chaotic. Coach issue. When the whole team plays like horse crap , coach issue. Missing Cooke too .
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, what's a "law of averages?"

With this team and coach, that doesn't exist. I've followed URI BB for 50 years, thru thick and thin, and I've NEVER seen such a run of futility in close games against good teams.....even Baron, who wasn't very good either, was way better at winning a couple now and then....

This is a sorry combination of a coach who can't seem to get thru to his players how to finish games....it's on Dan to fix it, and he hasn't come close to doing that since he's been here....the players change but the result stay the same.....at some point, who's to blame?

ALL of them imo.....his players choke when it counts......a harsh word but so true......

Some will blame Hassan being out....but it's always something, isn't it?

And it's more than just not making one play to win it......which we never do anyway......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Remember when NBCSports had us as a "Final Four Sleeper?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If anybody is going to save this season.....it will be guys like Dowtin, Stan, and Cyril........

Terrell and EC along with KI will be fine.......

Our PG play with JG in there is killing us against better teams.......sorry Dan he needs to play less.....
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Blue Man wrote:Yeah that's a player issue not coach. Just like Jim Baron doesnt get credit for marquis creating 2 plays by himself, you can't penalize Hurley for jarvis going rogue and tossing up that shit.
Blue, love ya man but that game should never come down to the Mike Powell imitation.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:Offense was non existent, we didn't play a st joes but I watched every second and it was chaotic. Coach issue. When the whole team plays like horse crap , coach issue. Missing Cooke too .
We scored 64 points on the road against the 18th best defense in the country. We had too many turnovers and went through stretches where the shot selection was poor, but I don't see how someone can be considered a serious person and say our offense was nonexistent tonight and we played like horse crap.
5 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Offense was non existent, we didn't play a st joes but I watched every second and it was chaotic. Coach issue. When the whole team plays like horse crap , coach issue. Missing Cooke too .
We scored 64 points on the road against the 18th best defense in the country. We had too many turnovers and went through stretches where the shot selection was poor, but I don't see how someone can be considered a serious person and say our offense was nonexistent tonight and we played like horse crap.
RR2 your blatant defense of a team that refuses to win almost all big games is bizarre.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam I'm a Hurley fan but a lot of points were scored off of last second threes and plays that fell apart.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS