Jim Baron 2.0

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Jim Baron 2.0

Unread post by rambone 78 »

BM, the misery index wouldn't be anywhere near as high, if we could have at least won ONE of those road games.....

But 0-3...really?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote:
If we had lost to Cinci I'd be leading the parade of misery, but that win negates a lot of the bad on this board right now.
If Cincy makes one more shot and we miss one more, you would be leading the charge of misery? Do you realize how crazy that sounds? That's why you have to take the tree top view of everything and then draw conclusions. it is abundantly clear (and has been since X was around) that this staff under performs close and late. And that is a direct result of his ability to install an offense and/or hire guys who can fill that gap for him. An inability to put his guys to spots to maximize their strength. Why is Jared running to spot, standing, and waving his arms at the end of the PC game? So, yeah, you play enough close ones, these talented guys are going to make enough plays to win a few. Let's stop pretending there isn't a problem.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Why is Jared Terrell taking all of 12 shots total, in his
last two games?
Why is he deferring to EC, like he's MJ or Steph Curry?
Why did Hassan Martin score 31 points and then have only
10 shots in the PC game?
Where are the coaches, to say these guys need to be
more involved in the flaccid offense?
Just mind boggling.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GBG and Rod, people keep thinking Dan is all of a sudden going to learn how to win the close ones......

The same problems rear their ugly head time and time again....either the light bulb comes on, or he gets help.....nothing will change...

It's hard to make some understand that.....we keep losing and they keep hoping.....

It's something different every time....many issues.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote:GBG and Rod, people keep thinking Dan is all of a sudden going to learn how to win the close ones......

The same problems rear their ugly head time and time again....either the light bulb comes on, or he gets help.....nothing will change...

It's hard to make some understand that.....we keep losing and they keep hoping.....

It's something different every time....many issues.
So by your argument of "If Cincy makes one more shot and we miss one more," We'd have won those 3 road games then?

So no one is allowed to draw any positive from 3 close road losses, we're only allowed to look at them as L's. But the win that is literally carrying our NCAA hopes right now is totally up for scrutiny because it was close and Cinci had the audacity to lose on the road to a top 10 team.

Got it.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

The Cincy game was on a "neutral" court, which in reality was a home game for us as anyone who watched knows, so there's that.

People are welcome to draw whatever positives they like from losses, I think a larger point is, this isn't supposed to be the season for that, this should be the season we exercise those road loss demons. You say "I see good things happening" when you lose during a rebuild phase, not when you're failing to meet expectations, that's just one man's opinion.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Hey Blueman, It wasn't directed at you, so fuck you too, you used to inspire, now you just ramble.

It was directed at the two dicks calling for long time contributors to leave the board, I don't remember you doing that, although I have to admit you lose my attention mostly nowadays so you may have done such a thing in some ramble.

Signed Realism Ram
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

For the record GBG mixed up some quotes on page 6 and it makes it appear as though I stated some stupid shit that was actually stated by Blueman.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Running Ram wrote:Hey Blueman, It wasn't directed at you, so fuck you too, you used to inspire, now you just ramble.

It was directed at the two dicks calling for long time contributors to leave the board, I don't remember you doing that, although I have to admit you lose my attention mostly nowadays so you may have done such a thing in some ramble.

Signed Realism Ram
Well then fuck me if it wasn't. Apologies.

I don't remember me doing that either.

That said I could care less if I lose or keep attention or inspire or ramble. Just going to leave posts that make it apparent that the entire board isn't off the reservation yet.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Rodman I agree Dan needs to do something to get EC and Terrell to play well together. It doesn't seem to happen. Not sure what it is.... rivals, offense only designed run though one at time. Dan's job to figure it out and fix it. As for the houston game if you watched it, Terrell was out of sorts shot 2-7 didn't seem like wanted ball just not good game for him nothing to do with EC. Infact I thought a lot of EC points in 1st half were after 3 or 4 guys touched ball play clock running down he'd bail us out with 3 or take it to hoop late in the offense. Thought in second half EC was tired and played like a starter not the stud he was 1st half. Wish someone else could of stepped up second half shared load but just seemed like everyone had no legs.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Running Ram wrote:The Cincy game was on a "neutral" court, which in reality was a home game for us as anyone who watched knows, so there's that.

People are welcome to draw whatever positives they like from losses, I think a larger point is, this isn't supposed to be the season for that, this should be the season we exercise those road loss demons. You say "I see good things happening" when you lose during a rebuild phase, not when you're failing to meet expectations, that's just one man's opinion.
I think the road loss demons are getting exercised plenty...it would be good, however, to see them exorcised... :lol:
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

excorcistr.jpg
excorcistr.jpg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Maybe this guy is the answer?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Nice NYG, I missed that, perhaps a typo or maybe a Freudian whip er slip... :oops:
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Despite my massive issue with you Bressler I wish nothing but the best for your wife.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote:Two of this year's blind optimists (you know who you are) are being complete dirty nozzle douche bags, can't stand to face reality so they have to turn the pain outward and attack those who aren't head over heals optimistic. At least last year's blind optimist is a nice guy, never attacked a poster and is beginning to understand the frustration of every damn off-season's hyped expectations.

Maybe you two clowns can run everyone with a differing opinion off the board and then the two of you can just get each other off whispering sweet optimisms about our team and coach, a kind of two person circle jerk. You're idiots and you are attacking the members that make this forum great.
So this cracks me up. "I'm tired of the name calling and I'll demonstrate it by going nuts on the name calling." Hypocrite much?

Have I told two people recently to get off the board? Yes. One of them was Bressler. Let's not act like Bressler has been some angel, as a matter of fact he used his second post back to recall attention to his post months ago that blasted Ace and was bad enough to get himself suspended and he's traditionally been very good at lobbing insults. If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. If you don't want to be insulted, not insulting people is a solid place to start.

The other poster is Rambone, the adult that perpetually acts like a 6 year old child threatening to run away. Every year we go through this same exact thing with him where he threatens to take a break from the board but continues to post more than everyone. This year he's taken it too unacceptable levels, threatening to take a break every other post. He clearly has some kind of issue where he needs validation from anonymous people on a message board, but I don't have the time nor inclination to just let him go on with it. Say you're taking a break and do it or keep posting and stop looking for people to kiss your ass. Pick one. But this "you guys don't love me enough so I'm leaving" and then never going needs to stop. Rambone clearly needs to get over himself.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
If we had lost to Cinci I'd be leading the parade of misery, but that win negates a lot of the bad on this board right now.
If Cincy makes one more shot and we miss one more, you would be leading the charge of misery? Do you realize how crazy that sounds? That's why you have to take the tree top view of everything and then draw conclusions. it is abundantly clear (and has been since X was around) that this staff under performs close and late. And that is a direct result of his ability to install an offense and/or hire guys who can fill that gap for him. An inability to put his guys to spots to maximize their strength. Why is Jared running to spot, standing, and waving his arms at the end of the PC game? So, yeah, you play enough close ones, these talented guys are going to make enough plays to win a few. Let's stop pretending there isn't a problem.
So again we can play what if in the games we win to turn them into losses but we shouldn't do that for the games we lost or god forbid just look at what our record actually is. But why would anyone expect more from a poster who only comes on here after losses?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote:The Cincy game was on a "neutral" court, which in reality was a home game for us as anyone who watched knows, so there's that.
It was really a home game? I don't remember seeing the Ryan Center court. I don't remember them shooting at the same backdrop that they have in the Ryan Center. I don't remember them being able to make the same preparations that they have for home games. Anyone that knows anything about playing sports knows there's more to whether a game is a home game then the makeup of a crowd.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

RR,I know both guys you disdain.
They are good people.
I won't get into the 3rd person you mention.
If you so strongly disagree with anyone on this board,
simply block them.
Personally, I've never blocked anyone.
I enjoy the exchanges, even the nastier ones.
To each his own.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Did anyone notice a very young CFL on the bench while the ESPN 30 for 30 "Catholics vs. Convicts" showed some clips of Digger Phelps ND teams?

I caught a couple glimpses of CFL sitting next to Pete Gillen. Pretty funny.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
It was really a home game? I don't remember seeing the Ryan Center court. I don't remember them shooting at the same backdrop that they have in the Ryan Center. I don't remember them being able to make the same preparations that they have for home games. Anyone that knows anything about playing sports knows there's more to whether a game is a home game then the makeup of a crowd.
Yeah...but they probably had 'tubs' there...so...evens out somewhat
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:If you so strongly disagree with anyone on this board,
simply block them.
Personally, I've never blocked anyone.
I have blocked people on this board and used to be the biggest advocate of it when Sean was doing his thing. You can effectively block people when their post count is low enough, but when it reaches the levels that rambone posts at it is completely ineffective.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
So again we can play what if in the games we win to turn them into losses but we shouldn't do that for the games we lost or god forbid just look at what our record actually is. But why would anyone expect more from a poster who only comes on here after losses?
Well, yeah, look at the record. I was just saying that if you think the Cincy outcome one way or another completely changes your viewpoint that's ridiculous. Look at 4+ years of close game, looks at scores only, look at the eye test, look at stats. Whatever floats your board. They all say the same thing. Now, if he ripped off a bunch of close wins against good teams you add that to the mix and maybe you open the door to improvement but those never seem to come.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Took a look at Dan's career record in games decided by 10 or more points, 5 or less points and 3 or less points:
wins.jpg
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Running Ram wrote:Two of this year's blind optimists (you know who you are) are being complete dirty nozzle douche bags, can't stand to face reality so they have to turn the pain outward and attack those who aren't head over heals optimistic. At least last year's blind optimist is a nice guy, never attacked a poster and is beginning to understand the frustration of every damn off-season's hyped expectations.

Maybe you two clowns can run everyone with a differing opinion off the board and then the two of you can just get each other off whispering sweet optimisms about our team and coach, a kind of two person circle jerk. You're idiots and you are attacking the members that make this forum great.
RR,
Am I one of the two?
Might venture that I 'could be' last year's blind optimist?...'cept for the "nice guy" part, and I have attacked a poster before...not proud of it, and trying to make sure it doesn't repeat (would much rather have a beer with someone I disagree with than go back and forth anonymously). But, am quickly coming up the curve of understanding the frustration...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:Took a look at Dan's career record in games decided by 10 or more points, 5 or less points and 3 or less points:

wins.jpg
Thanks for taking the time to do this
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Might venture that I 'could be' last year's blind optimist?...'cept for the "nice guy" part, and I have attacked a poster before...not proud of it, and trying to make sure it doesn't repeat (would much rather have a beer with someone I disagree with than go back and forth anonymously). But, am quickly coming up the curve of understanding the frustration...
Yes, you are the person I was referring to as last year's blind optimist, but tisc, tisc, I didn't know you were so aggressive lol, nah, you're a nice guy, at least here you are. I obviously don't read everyone's every word on the forum, so perhaps you went on the attack at some point, but I never read you being condescending to others and I definitely don't remember you telling long time contributors to leave the board, if you did, you get a mulligan. Nice folks get a couple of mulligans, D-bags choose to play in the rough.

As far as people trying to identify themselves in my comment, don't worry about it. Instead, let's stick to discussing the points raised by each other. I get the frustration when someone posts similar opinions over and over, when they are not one's shared opinion, however if a person is passionate about Rhody hoops and at the same time suffers from echolalia (the psychological need to say the same things in a repetitive manner) it doesn't give the right to attack, i gives the right to ignore. If we're talking about a troll on the other hand, have at em! :D
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

From Bunky's column in today's projo: "If he didn't have bad luck, URI Coach Dan Hurley wouldn't have any luck at all".
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

So where's GANDY these days?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH record in games decided by 1-5 points is really awful that needs to change quick
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote:DH record in games decided by 1-5 points is really awful that needs to change quick
And he was five games over .500 at Wagner. He'd have to go 23-0 in his next 23 to be .500 at URI.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

RhodeIslandRams wrote:So where's GANDY these days?
Gandy exited the building when CFL took his exit...I goof on GBG speculating he is Gandy, because he arrived as Gandy exited. For the record GBG denies being one and the same as Gandy.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bressler has the same posting style as Gandy.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I doubt either are Gandy.
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Ha those are the two names I was curious about as well. The original Gandy was..well, an original!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Gandysfantasy I sure do remember him
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wonder if he'll return? You never know......
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

RoadyJay wrote:Took a look at Dan's career record in games decided by 10 or more points, 5 or less points and 3 or less points:
I know this was posted for all of our close loses, but we are 3-1 on 10 or more points this season. We lost to Duke by 10.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

spookydog wrote:
I know this was posted for all of our close loses, but we are 3-1 on 10 or more points this season. We lost to Duke by 10.
Thanks for picking up the error spooky.

I fixed the error and updated to include yesterday's 11 point win.
wins_1.jpg
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RJ, I know those are against all opponents.....what's the breakdown against better than .500 teams?

I know it's worse......
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I am looking at last season on the chart...because so many losses were sooo close, that's why everyone thought that having EC would be the difference this year. Guess not.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:RJ, I know those are against all opponents.....what's the breakdown against better than .500 teams?

I know it's worse......
You could look it up and let the rest of us know.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Instead of looking at teams .500 or better I looked up his record against top 100 teams (per kenpom).

Dan's teams have played in a total of 70 games against top 100 teams. His record is 17-53 in those games.

To be fair, many of the games against top 100 teams he was a heavy underdog.

His teams were ranked higher in only 12 of the 70 games. In games where his team was ranked higher than the opponent he is 5-7. Of the 7 losses, 6 were on the road. The only Home loss to a top 100 team, where we were ranked higher, was against Providence last season.
wins_top100.jpg
Interestingly, Dan's only two top 100 wins, decided by 3 or less points, came in his first year at URI. Those wins were against St. Louis on the road and Dayton at home.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Really only the last 3 years matter. Last year was just a killer in this regard. There is no way to spin what that chart says as "good," but it's also impossible to parse out how much of these failures is due to luck - obviously some of it, definitely not all of it.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:Really only the last 3 years matter. Last year was just a killer in this regard. There is no way to spin what that chart says as "good," but it's also impossible to parse out how much of these failures is due to luck - obviously some of it, definitely not all of it.
If you want to look at the last 3 years (2017, 2016, 2015) overall, and not just close games or games decided by 10 or more, then the record against top 100 teams is 8-23.
Attachments
wins_top100_last3years.jpg
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not a very pretty picture.
"Your are what your record says you are"-Bill Parcells
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The record against top 100 teams speaks for itself. Luck evens out over time. The record hasn't. At least not yet.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Reminds me of Jeff Fisher.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Look at the Giants....couldn't win any close games last year....change coaches...and VOILA!

Duck.......
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote:Look at the Giants....couldn't win any close games last year....change coaches...and VOILA!

Duck.......
Let's compare a professional football team to an Atlantic 10 basketball team. Yup that's makes alotta sense.
0 x
Go Rhody
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhody15 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Look at the Giants....couldn't win any close games last year....change coaches...and VOILA!

Duck.......
Let's compare a professional football team to an Atlantic 10 basketball team. Yup that's makes alotta sense.
Ummm, an underachieving team changing coaches and taking off is a concept that happens in ALL sports.

The Penguins last year are out of the playoffs at the break and fire Bylsma. Under the new coach they catch fire and win the Cup.

On a team that is underachieving, changing coaches is the quickest way to turn it around (not saying dump Hurley)
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---