Jim Baron 2.0

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: Jim Baron 2.0

Unread post by Running Ram »

Best wishes Bress, prayers coming from this direction for your family.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote:Two of this year's blind optimists (you know who you are) are being complete dirty nozzle douche bags, can't stand to face reality so they have to turn the pain outward and attack those who aren't head over heals optimistic. At least last year's blind optimist is a nice guy, never attacked a poster and is beginning to understand the frustration of every damn off-season's hyped expectations.

Maybe you two clowns can run everyone with a differing opinion off the board and then the two of you can just get each other off whispering sweet optimisms about our team and coach, a kind of two person circle jerk. You're idiots and you are attacking the members that make this forum great.
RR,
Am I one of the two?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

NO! ramster, you're an optimist and in my opinion a good member of this forum, by all of my accounts you seem like a nice person, whom I may disagree with at times about Rhody hoops, actually you're one of the last people on this forum that I could imagine being a jerk to others. Agree or disagree, I'm often glad to see your posts.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Same here ramster, you're one of the good guys.......
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I often disagree with Ramster, but he's a solid
contributor to this board.
Brings a lot of information and thought in his posts.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I don't think it is fair to say DH is Jim Baron 2.0 - to do that he would have lost the PC game and not event played Valpo or Houston, beat up on UNHs of the world and been 12-2 going into January. Then with everyone's hopes up the team would fail in conference.

Wish we would be in a better spot now, but at least DH was willing to challenge the team. Maybe that pays off in conference play?
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

A myth, as I wrote yesterday:

"CFL played, Kansas, #1 ranked at the time, Pitt (2),
Seton Hall (2),USC (2), Miami,Syracuse (2), Duke,
Utah, VaTech, and Valpo.
He also played a very good Kent State team (2),
and Al Skinner's BC.
Oh, and he was UNDEFEATED at the Ryan Center vs. PC,
and beat PC at the Dunk."
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

The comparisons between the two isn't really important. What is important is the fact that DH has said this team is "his team". It was the group he needed to get the wins. He is not living up to what he said. He set the expectation. People can come up with all the excuses they want to justify how the teams performance has been thus far but in March all that matters is W's and L's and how the team performed against other quality teams. Anyone here who thinks we are on the right track is truly mistaken. Anyone who is fine with what is going on right now settles for a mediocre basketball program.

Look, DH could turn this whole thing around and I will be the first one to have a great big slice of humble pie, but at this point, I don't even see the oven on.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Last year, a lot of people on this board were saying, just get a healthy EC back and all will be well....

Well, he's back and while maybe not 100% yet, what has changed? Same old same old......

And now, most of those people realize it.......
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rodfromcranston wrote:A myth, as I wrote yesterday:

"CFL played, Kansas, #1 ranked at the time, Pitt (2),
Seton Hall (2),USC (2), Miami,Syracuse (2), Duke,
Utah, VaTech, and Valpo.
He also played a very good Kent State team (2),
and Al Skinner's BC.
Oh, and he was UNDEFEATED at the Ryan Center vs. PC,
and beat PC at the Dunk."
plus OK State 2x, UAB, Penn St, Davidson 2x, VCU 2x, Villanova.

Especially from 06-10, the Baron teams were a 'play anyone anywhere'
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I don't understand comparing their OOC schedules at this point. Even if Hurley's non conference schedule is more difficult than any of Baron's he was only able to win one of the challenging games. Our OOC SOS at this point is 36, which is very good but we haven't been able to take advantage of it. Look at a team like Dayton last year, OOC SOS was 9 and they managed to go 10-2.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote:NO! ramster, you're an optimist and in my opinion a good member of this forum, by all of my accounts you seem like a nice person, whom I may disagree with at times about Rhody hoops, actually you're one of the last people on this forum that I could imagine being a jerk to others. Agree or disagree, I'm often glad to see your posts.
Thanks RR, that's nice to know, you had me worried there............ :o

I think the comparisons to OOC can go on forever but I think most every year make or break comes down to the Conference. Conference is simpler to compare apples to apples so I went back to 1997-1998. Wish I had done this before making my dumb Picks for Obadiah's Great Prediction Contest :cry: :cry: :cry:

The best ever we have done is 4 losses and that was in the Elite 8 Year 1997-1998 - we were loaded. Plus that was in a 16 game Conference Season
To think we can lose only 4 games this season is quite a reach no matter who would be Coaching since these are now 18 game seasons. The past 2 years and this year the A10 plays 18 conference games and not 16 as in all other years except 2001-2002 when the A10 only played 15.

The 2nd Best A10 Record was 2014-2015 when we went 13-5. 3rd Best was 2008-2009 when we went 11-5.

Last year finished 9-9 and that included a very surprise win at Dayton with a pretty decimated team. Shows why you play the games and anything can happen on any given day/night.

9-9 included EC out all year, but also we got clobbered in that St Joe game with KI getting knocked out on his feet (still scares me to watch the replay how he was unconscious even before his head hit the floor) and Jarvis getting his tooth knocked out and jaw damaged in the very same game plus, on top of that, Hassan getting hurt and missing the later part of the season. Not making excuses at all, this is simply what happened. I could argue that 9-9 was not too bad considering.

So in truth this is the year - all would agree with that. Last year was an injury year so it can be looked past - not saying it should be, but it can be.

Tough OOC Schedule for 2016-2017 was created by design to really challenge this year's team. The team did not do as well as all hoped - I don't think that anybody is in denial over that.

Did this tough OOC season prepare the team for success in the A10 Conference Schedule and the A10 Post Season Tournament? That is the question to be answered in the next 3 months..

History shows 4 losses would be the best record ever over the past 20 seasons (it would exceed the 12-4 season because there are now 18 games played). 13-5 is realistically the best that can be expected.

We have come this far with Dan Hurley and staff. For me I need to see how this A10 Conference Season goes before I provide my Grade on Performance. Did the OOC Tough Schedule help or hurt or neither? Do we go 13-5? 12-6? 11-7? or better? or worse?

Checking today URI has the Best RPI of the 14 A10 Teams. That is a computer generated number - that's all it is. Let's see what really happens over the next 3 1/2 months on the court and enjoy the season. Then go from there. That's what many of us enjoy - playing out the season. The off season is boring but the next 4 months should be fun. That's my view. Hopefully that's not Blind Optimism, Optimism, Pessimism, Blind Pessimism or any other isms. But I do confess to wearing Rhody Blue Glasses at times, for example when I made my preseason predictions. I did win the Prediction Contest a couple of years ago - but I must have had my Rhody Blue Glasses off that day :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Atlantic 10 Performance Comments
Coach Year Won Lost Place
Harrick 1997 - 1998 (12 - 4) 2nd NCAA Elite 8 - Lowest Number of Losses since 1997-1998 Season
Harrick 1998 - 1999 (10 - 6) 2nd NCAA 1st Round
Jerry D 1999 - 2000 (2 - 14) 6th
Jerry D 2000 - 2001 (3 - 13) 10th
Baron 2001 - 2002 (3 - 12) 12th NIT- 2nd Round
Baron 2002 - 2003 (10 - 6) 4th NIT- 1st Round
Baron 2003 - 2004 (7 - 9) 7th
Baron 2004 - 2005 (4 - 12) 11th
Baron 2005 - 2006 (8 - 8) 7th Jimmy Baron
Baron 2006 - 2007 (10 - 6) 4th Jimmy Baron
Baron 2007 - 2008 (7 - 9) 9th NIT- 1st Round Jimmy Baron
Baron 2008 - 2009 (11 - 5) 2nd NIT- 2nd Round Jimmy Baron - Tied for 2nd Lowest losses but in 16 game season
Baron 2009 - 2010 (9 - 7) 5th NIT- Semi Finals
Baron 2010 - 2011 (9 - 7) 6th CBI Quarter Finals
Baron 2011 - 2012 (4 - 12) 13th Earthquake
Hurley 2012 - 2013 (3 - 13) 14th Earthquake
Hurley 2013 - 2014 (5 - 11) 10th
Hurley 2014 - 2015 (13 - 5) 2nd NIT - 2nd Round - Second Lowest number of Losses since 1997-1998 season
Hurley 2015 - 2016 (9 - 9) 7th
Hurley 2016 - 2017 (0 - 0) 0 ????????
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If this team doesn't make the tourney this year, Dan will have also ruined the off season too, since we will not be able to believe anything he says about the team or recruits. He has been blowing smoke up our rear ends since he got here, and every year was wait til "next year". Well this is 5 years and almost $4 million in income later...time to put up or shut up.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

True. Play the A10 Conference Schedule. 20 games to go and you will know.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Does 14-4 conference play seem possible? Will that and 2 wins in the A10 tournament be enough to get in?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......a definite maybe......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What the fuck....what if, what if, what if.....we keep saying it, and it keeps not happening......

like ramster said, play the games, and we'll know......I have my thoughts....and you guys know what they are.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I wasn't saying 'what if'...I was just wondering would that do it. Do I think it will happen... lol...not right now I don't.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes NYG fan that is the scenario that I think will get us dancing.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Does 14-4 conference play seem possible? Will that and 2 wins in the A10 tournament be enough to get in?
My gut tells me that's just on the wrong side of the bubble. What would be the basket of good wins on the resume? Sort of like a remix of 2014-15. Obviously, things can change but the hay is almost in the barn for the A10. There are only two more chances for a road win over a top 100 kenpom team. 14-4 with two wins in the A10C probably puts us around an RPI of 30 without any win other than Cincy that pops out.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Joining in on fantasy land is goofy but we won't have the resume to get in with 10 losses so 14-4 is the worst we can be in conference unless we win the tourney.

9 losses at end of A10 tourney would give us a chance for an at large bid.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

14-4...fantasy land indeed.....if you want fantasy go to Disneyworld.....or hang out on this board.....
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Keep reminding us how bad the team is, Rambone. We all need your help with that.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hey, somebody liked that post, ATP......just funnin' ya......I knew you would respond to it.....

However you are right....we don't need to keep beating this dead horse......
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I guess sorry for fantasy reality check but the 2 atrocious three point consecutive losses have us squarely on the bubble only 10 games in.

Assuming we get to 8-4 non conference record 14-4 or
15-3 is required.

The is no other way to spin it fantasy players.

It's a fine line when you are trying to break into the elite.

Bad losses mean c ya.....
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, where do we go, now?
It's mid December and we're already in fantasy mode.
We know they'll lose at least 5 more games in the A-10.
Another in the A-10 tournament.
Brings us to 10 losses, with one top 25 win.
So, barring winning the A-10 tourney, it's
"HELLO, NIT!"
Sad.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Assuming a final non conf record of 8-4, the reality is we have very little margin for error during the A10 season and that means no "bad" losses which unfortunately we know we'll have a bad loss (or 2) along the way. I've seen every A10 team play this year except St. Lou, Fordham & LaSalle and all these teams have the ability to beat us based on what we've showed. Valpo, PC and Houston are all A10 like teams and we haven't beaten any of those teams. The A10 will not provide us with many opportunities for Top 50 wins which is why performing well in our non conference game was especially important this year. Going to be an interesting winter.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

hrstrat57 wrote:Joining in on fantasy land is goofy but we won't have the resume to get in with 10 losses so 14-4 is the worst we can be in conference unless we win the tourney.

9 losses at end of A10 tourney would give us a chance for an at large bid.
13-5 could get us in, it's more unlikely and we'll all have a lot of anxiety come selection Sunday but it's possible. Whether we go 15-3, 14-4 or 13-5 the most important games are the two against Dayton and at home game against VCU. Win 2 out of 3 and I think we can get in at 13-5 with two a10 tournament wins, possibly even just 1 a10 tournament win. We could go 14-4 and lose twice to Dayton and once to VCU in which case I don't think we'd make the tournament.

Tulsa got into the tournament last year with 11 losses so it's definitely possible for us to get in with 10 if we win the right games.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It's interesting information to go back 20 years on our A10 record.

I hope they outperform OUR history and really win some games. There have been other A10 teams with shoddy records that ran through the league. I still remember Jordair Jett taking over against us and winning the game in the middle of their own streak. His senior year. He's a player that grew by leaps and bounds each year. I remember thinking we gave them that game down the stretch. Lost several more the same way that year.

I think we have some good stuff to think about. Cyril is legit. Wonder what him and Hass look like at the same time. If Kuran and Akele play like last game, then put Martin at that free throw line and Cyril low. Might take that against VCU's front line. If Iverson and Akele give you nothing then that's what it is.

Maybe they can toughen up and turn this around. Be special.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Truthfully I was expecting 8-2 15-3 thus 23-5 going into tourney for this group.

21-7 still can getrdone...

Signed,
Captain Fantasy
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I like your thinking, Seawright!
Hassan seems to have mastered the 10-12 foot
jumper.
You still want Hassan under the hoop on defense.
Can Langevine cover a 4?
If he can, that would improve the rotation,
with Iverson coming off the bench, while having two big bodies starting.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Hey Rod who knows? Have to make up these points somehow? Great rebounding is a start.

Iverson sure fouls like he comes off the bench. Could do him good to see the game before getting on the court.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Truthfully I was expecting 8-2 15-3 thus 23-5 going into tourney for this group.

Signed,
Captain Fantasy
We play 30 games...
0 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Truthfully I was expecting 8-2 15-3 thus 23-5 going into tourney for this group.

Signed,
Captain Fantasy
We play 30 games...
Sorry meant expected 8-2 now vs 6-4.

Best now 8-4 non conference vs my expected 10-2

With 15-3 that would be 23-7

Which gets us in this year.

Captain Fantasy is lousy at math, unfortunately the NCAA selection committee is not....

Two 3 point awful losses give us no wiggle room.

Carry on engineers!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Seawrightspostgame wrote:It's interesting information to go back 20 years on our A10 record.

I hope they outperform OUR history and really win some games. There have been other A10 teams with shoddy records that ran through the league. I still remember Jordair Jett taking over against us and winning the game in the middle of their own streak. His senior year. He's a player that grew by leaps and bounds each year. I remember thinking we gave them that game down the stretch. Lost several more the same way that year.

I think we have some good stuff to think about. Cyril is legit. Wonder what him and Hass look like at the same time. If Kuran and Akele play like last game, then put Martin at that free throw line and Cyril low. Might take that against VCU's front line. If Iverson and Akele give you nothing then that's what it is.

Maybe they can toughen up and turn this around. Be special.
Jett was a beast that game, I posted some pics of him in that game thread attacking the basket. Strong player!
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Would love to Cyril and Has in at the same time.
Last edited by rhodysurf 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

ramster wrote:Tough OOC Schedule for 2016-2017 was created by design to really challenge this year's team.
I disagree with this statement about challenging this year's team. The reason we have a tough road OOC Schedule was because they thought last year was the year that would get them over the hump & into the big dance. So they scheduled Valpo & Houston (and to a lesser extent, PC) at home last year in hopes of getting quality wins to get them into the tournament...but on the flipside they would have to play on the road this year. I think they put all of their eggs in one basket getting those games at home last year when scheduling home & home games in consecutive years in hopes of last year being the year to make it to the tourney.

(I hope this makes sense...it makes sense in my head at least. :lol: )
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote:
ramster wrote:Tough OOC Schedule for 2016-2017 was created by design to really challenge this year's team.
I disagree with this statement about challenging this year's team. The reason we have a tough road OOC Schedule was because they thought last year was the year that would get them over the hump & into the big dance. So they scheduled Valpo & Houston (and to a lesser extent, PC) at home last year in hopes of getting quality wins to get them into the tournament...but on the flipside they would have to play on the road this year. I think they put all of their eggs in one basket getting those games at home last year when scheduling home & home games in consecutive years in hopes of last year being the year to make it to the tourney.

Spookydog,
What you say makes sense if they were considering last year to be the big year. This would be with EC, Martin and KI Juniors and Terrell and Garrett Sophs. So it would make sense for Valpo Houston and PC to be home games to try to make the NCAA.
But by the same token this year would be the tougher year with EC, Martin,Iverson all seniors and Terrell and Garrett Juniors all presumably ready for PC, Houston and Valpo on the road more do than when these ( were Juniors and Sophomores.
Problem was injuries to EC, Martin, Iverson and Garrett last year that made the NCAAs not achievable or if you don't buy the injuries plug in the reasons.
This year this group should have been able to handle PC, Houston and Valpo on the road with such a veteran line up.....but they didn't. Not yet anyway but 20 games to go so lets see if the tough rpi schedule pays off. But I see your point and it makes sense.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Bress - sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she gets well and Rhody clunkers can once again be your greatest source of unhappiness.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Not being a blind optimist, but asking a serious question: has there ever been a time in our program's history that we have good records going into the final eight games or so and collapsed like we did those last few Baron years?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

spookydog wrote:

I had the same kind of thinking that maybe the coaching staff felt like this years team would be much better so they would be able to handle 3 more difficult road games.

Although when you look at last years schedule we had Nebraska, Brown and ODU all on the road. If they tried to make the Houston or Valpo game on the road last year (assuming that was even an option) then we would have had 4 road games last year and only 2 this year. I think it's a safe bet that the coaching staff was trying to balance the schedules and not have too many road games either year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Does 14-4 conference play seem possible? Will that and 2 wins in the A10 tournament be enough to get in?
My gut tells me that's just on the wrong side of the bubble. What would be the basket of good wins on the resume? Sort of like a remix of 2014-15. Obviously, things can change but the hay is almost in the barn for the A10. There are only two more chances for a road win over a top 100 kenpom team. 14-4 with two wins in the A10C probably puts us around an RPI of 30 without any win other than Cincy that pops out.
re: 2014-15...I still think if they had closed the Dayton game in Brooklyn like they should have...they would ve been in...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Or closed the Davidson game at home
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Or the VCU game at home....
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Or any of the other 1000 big games that were close within the last 5 minutes...
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Running Ram wrote:Two of this year's blind optimists (you know who you are) are being complete dirty nozzle douche bags, can't stand to face reality so they have to turn the pain outward and attack those who aren't head over heals optimistic. At least last year's blind optimist is a nice guy, never attacked a poster and is beginning to understand the frustration of every damn off-season's hyped expectations.

Maybe you two clowns can run everyone with a differing opinion off the board and then the two of you can just get each other off whispering sweet optimisms about our team and coach, a kind of two person circle jerk. You're idiots and you are attacking the members that make this forum great.
I'm assuming this is directed at me. So let me please begin with a healthy fuck you, and get on to the facts.

Blind optimist? Since fucking when? Again with the extremes. Just because I am not soft enough in the brain to believe Dan Hurley is the second coming of Jim Baron and that the season doesn't end in December, or conjure up an AGGRESSIVELY revisionist history of URI basketball 2001-2012, doesn't mean I am just sitting here thrilled about being 6-4 with 3 losses in extremely winnable games.

But I've also turned on a TV channel that is broadcast from outside of south country RI before, so maybe that makes me part of an exceedingly rare contingent on this board?

Who are the members that make this forum great again? Is it the people literally bawling like children about early season losses who seem to not understand how the NCAA selection process, or college basketball in general works? The people rushing to declare the season over and the coach a bum and completely ignore the context of where he is in relation to his starting point versus the overall NCAA drought of the basketball program?

If saying things like "the season isn't over in December," "we have no bad losses, just missed opportunities," "we have an extremely thin margin for error missing these road win chances, thank God we got the marquee win out of the way," "Dan is in his 5th year after our previous coaches' sins affected his recruiting and program building chances for years after he was hired, maybe you should take that into account," etc makes me a blind optimist, than the lot of you who agree with the sentiment of this thread are confirmed satanists.

I believe I take the title of nuclear meltdown artist on this board, but that usually happens in February or March, you know...when the season actually ends.

I'm not sitting here calling for everyone holding hands and blowing smoke about how great this team is, but I'm calling for a tiny bit of perspective when people are declaring the season over in December with a 1-4 record against probable NCAA teams.

FYI if this were a Baron season, we'd be 0-2 against NCAA teams but 8-0 against cupcakes, in a worse position for an NCAA bid than this current team, but somehow that would make you morons happy.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You have every right to disagree with us "morons" BM, but it might be nice if you refrain from the name calling and swearing.......

Complaining and arguing is fine....just don't cross the line.....your opinion isn't any better or worse than the rest of ours....

You want to go nuclear during one of your rants? That's fine, as long as it isn't directed at other posters.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

BM, if you're referring to Duke and Cincy as the NCAA teams and losses, and Valpo PC Houston as "cupcakes" and wins I would GLADLY take 8-2 with three roads wins than 6-4 with one good win and 3 close road losses.
0 x
Go Rhody
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote:
Running Ram wrote:
I'm not sitting here calling for everyone holding hands and blowing smoke about how great this team is, but I'm calling for a tiny bit of perspective when people are declaring the season over in December with a 1-4 record against probable NCAA teams.

FYI if this were a Baron season, we'd be 0-2 against NCAA teams but 8-0 against cupcakes, in a worse position for an NCAA bid than this current team, but somehow that would make you morons happy.
Very little chance all five of those teams dance. I'd say Duke is 100% and Cincy is the only one better than 50/50. You have to take the context of this season into account. The A10 is a one bid plus tournament champ league this year. We know how the committee feels about lack of good wins. And we know how they feel about lack of road wins in the OOC, especially. If we were about to play the ACC slate, I'd be inclined to still have hope. They could go 15-3 with the wrong losses and lose in the A10 semis and still be on the wrong side of the bubble. The season isn't over until they lose in the A10T but we are looking at about 10-15% right now if you are being honest. FIve years in and that's where we stand. And that's because of the coach. He's just not good at doing what great coaches do to win close games. He's just not. I think the talent is there.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote:BM, if you're referring to Duke and Cincy as the NCAA teams and losses, and Valpo PC Houston as "cupcakes" and wins I would GLADLY take 8-2 with three roads wins than 6-4 with one good win and 3 close road losses.
Poorly written sentence on my part. Point was Baron would never have scheduled this many tough games in an OOC slate. We'd have been lucky to get 2 on the schedule, lose those, but fatten up on Stony Brook, Northeastern, BU, UNH, Maine, Southern Connecticut, etc.

The point was we would be, and typically were, 8-2 with 2 losses to good teams and 8 wins against nobodies.

If we had lost to Cinci I'd be leading the parade of misery, but that win negates a lot of the bad on this board right now.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL