Jim Baron 2.0

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Jim Baron 2.0

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote:BM, the purpose of this thread imo anyway, was to point out the similar problems that Dan has in coaching the games compared to the previous coach....

We all know that Dan is nothing like JB off the court......in all aspects of running a program Dan is far better....just that he can't win the big games either....

When it comes to the bottom line [winning] there isn't much difference right now.....

Exactly this.

Blue, I'm not talking about anything other than inside the lines. Frankly I couldn't give a damn about anything except winning games. As long as we picking up ncaa violations, just win baby.

What I am saying is when it comes to coaching basketball games, Hurley and Baron are cut from the same cloth.

Both fail to win close games
Both are close but no cigar against good teams (with a few rare exceptions for both)
Both fall to make adjustments in game
Both roll the ball out on offense and try to score by out athlete'ing the other team
Both are good enough to bring a program to a point but are NIT quality coaches.

The difference is Baron closed the book with that legacy. Hurley has time to recognize his faults and make changes to the staff to cover them
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The mere insinuation by the title title of this thread completely throws away the credibility of this board (if there was any) in the eyes of other fan groups...but more importantly the decision makers in kingston.

That causes a problem because then when there are legitimate issues brought up...Ryan center deficiencies, game day experience issues, fan experience problems, etc, etc...people can point to a thread like this and say "really, how much does that board speak for our fans they truly believe x,y,z. They obviously don't know what they're talking about."

It also shows a wild revisionist history about the years from 2001-2012.

If the record were the only thing that mattered, rhody would have danced regardless. It's WHO you play. Not just if you beat them.

If Jim Baron made this year's schedule we would be undefeated right now.

Is anybody happy with losing these games? No. Are we lucky that complaining about close, early season road losses to good teams AFTER getting a marquee, ranked win (which Baron NEVER got) is where we are as a program less than 5 years post nuclear holocaust? You're God damn right we are.

The 2014 Patriots were widely panned as a bum team 1/4 way through that season. That seemed to stick...

It's DECEMBER. We have played 10 of 30. Dans teams have played better in Feb and March (coaching), these games can be learning tools to get better.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm not even sure Cincy is that good.....they weren't that close against Butler road game notwithstanding......they will fall out of the rankings this week.....

Face it, BM, we aren't that good...for whatever reason you want to put out there.......coach, players, whatever......

Yes, the program is much more solid than before....everybody here knows that.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:The mere insinuation by the title title of this thread completely throws away the credibility of this board (if there was any) in the eyes of other fan groups...but more importantly the decision makers in kingston.

That causes a problem because then when there are legitimate issues brought up...Ryan center deficiencies, game day experience issues, fan experience problems, etc, etc...people can point to a thread like this and say "really, how much does that board speak for our fans they truly believe x,y,z. They obviously don't know what they're talking about."

If the record were the only thing that mattered, rhody would have danced regardless. It's WHO you play. Not just if you beat them.

Is anybody happy with losing these games? No. Are we lucky that complaining about close, early season road losses to good teams AFTER getting a marquee, ranked win (which Baron NEVER got) is where we are as a program less than 5 years post nuclear holocaust? You're God damn right we are.

The 2014 Patriots were widely panned as a bum team 1/4 way through that season. That seemed to stick...

It's DECEMBER. We have played 10 of 30. Dans teams have played better in Feb and March (coaching), these games can be learning tools to get better.
this isnt the time for learning...thats what the last 2 seasons were for when Hass, EC, JT and JG were underclassmen.

Our 4 best players are juniors and seniors, this is the time where you take the next step and WIN GAMES. F*ck moral victories, we've had 17 years of moral victories.

This is the eggs in the basket year, this is the year they've been building towards and so far they've done nothing but piss down their own leg.

btw, the win @ Syracuse is a better win than Nebraska or CIncy.

and you are the one with revisionist history about the scheduling under Baron.

07-08 the choke year...in OOC we played @USF, @UAB, @BC, @Syracuse, home PC and won 4 of 5.
08-09...in OOC played @Duke, home VCU, @PC, @Penn St, @Villanova, neutral OK State
09-10...in OOC played @Davidson, @VCU, home PC, @BC, neutral OK State
1 x
---
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Excuses are for losers......and that's what we are getting......

People who think this crapping your pants in close games will stop later this season, are living in fantasy land....NOTHING indicates that....

Dan has every right to be mad....at himself for running this shit show.....is anything changing? I rest my case.....

His track record is horrendous...and that's being kind.

Da_Process_Survivor...best post on this board on this subject...bar none.....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ugh! I can't believe I'm going to have to defend CFL here!
Revisionism, BM? OK, here we go.
CFL played, Kansas, #1 ranked at the time, Pitt (2),
Seton Hall (2),USC (2), Miami,Syracuse (2), Duke,
Utah, VaTech, and Valpo.
He also played a very good Kent State team (2),
and Al Skinner's BC.
Oh, and he was UNDEFEATED at the Ryan Center vs. PC,
and beat PC at the Dunk.
I'm so tired of the hype every year, and people here expecting
a different result than the year before.
The excuses are legion.
I had a legend, who should know better, tell me last year, before the season,
that that team would bury the 78-88-98 teams.
Really? They'd have been run off the floor by those teams.
CFL vs. Dan is like saying Cleveland Browns or Jacksonville Jaguars,
which is better?
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We all knew that we were taking a risk on an unproven coach. And I think we all tried to will this team to win over the past four years. Just seems like maybe it's not working out.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I wanted to keep this in a separate post.
Friday, Ed Cooley said,
"I want my players to have fun while playing.
They should enjoy it, and have fun!"
Does anyone see joy in our team? Ever see
them loose and enjoying themselves on
the floor?
No. They play tight.Why?
You can't be loose and have fun, if you're afraid to
make a mistake.
It presents a pressure all its own.
That's true in any workplace or game.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Didn't Dan say that he wanted his players to have fun out there?

Is he practicing what he preaches? Certainly not by the looks of it.....

The coach is wound tighter than a drum......and so are his players......like I've said, Dan is a very smart guy...but it's not showing out there....

He just doesn't have the temperament to be a big time coach....and I think maybe deep down he knows it.....saying that he doesn't intend to coach past 50 is a telling comment.....

Maybe he will retire early....and save himself a ton of aggravation.....it's not working out for him.

There's no way he fulfills his contract here...imo...for whatever reason....and I don't think there will be any more extensions until promises are kept...and that's not happening either......
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:The mere insinuation by the title title of this thread completely throws away the credibility of this board (if there was any) in the eyes of other fan groups...but more importantly the decision makers in kingston.

this isnt the time for learning...thats what the last 2 seasons were for when Hass, EC, JT and JG were underclassmen.

Our 4 best players are juniors and seniors, this is the time where you take the next step and WIN GAMES. F*ck moral victories, we've had 17 years of moral victories.

This is the eggs in the basket year, this is the year they've been building towards and so far they've done nothing but piss down their own leg.

btw, the win @ Syracuse is a better win than Nebraska or CIncy.

and you are the one with revisionist history about the scheduling under Baron.

07-08 the choke year...in OOC we played @USF, @UAB, @BC, @Syracuse, home PC and won 4 of 5.
08-09...in OOC played @Duke, home VCU, @PC, @Penn St, @Villanova, neutral OK State
09-10...in OOC played @Davidson, @VCU, home PC, @BC, neutral OK State
Just for the record, that Cuse win honestly isn't that impressive. A year where they didn't make the tournament, finished .500 in conference, lost in the 1st round of the Big East tournament, and the Q-Finals of the NIT. By the time we played them, they already lost 2 games, including at home to UMass and gave up 107 points in that game. I'm sorry, maybe it's the years going by, but that was one of Boeheim's worst teams post-2000. Not THAT impressive of a win.

Better than Nebraska for sure, not sure on Cincy. Pretty sad that that is the "signature" win for CFL that most still talk about.
3 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Also, before you go off, I agree that Dan's teams here have struggled mightily against quality opponents on the road. With the team we have this year, we should beat Valpo and PC on the road with a full squad.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I know some are getting upset as there are comparisons being made against CFL. But, if we compared against Skinner, NCAAT win against Purdue, Penders, NCAAT win against #3 Syracuse to advance to the Sweet 16 or Harrick, NCAAT win against #1 Kansas en route to Elite 8 ................. :roll:
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

First of all, I have been a fairly big supporter of Dan and I still am, even though I am very frustrated. I, too, am certainly not comparing Danny to JB. But to say there have not been similarities or are similarities in some areas of both coaches teams here, and are beyond some form of comparison is not outrageous either. Let's also be honest and admit Jim Baron was not the worst or absolutely awful. He did do some good work here, especially in the early years when he got the program back to respectability. While Danny took over a mess, it was certainly nothing worse than what Baron inherited from Jerry D. With that being said, JB did what he could do and wore out his welcome and was clearly not the coach that could get the program to the level many of us envision. Its' not like he was 7 and 20 every year and in 10th place in the league. He was solid, mediocre, however you would like to label it. And at this point, Dan in his 5 years, simply does not have anything that clearly outshines what Baron did here. Its not like comparing Rick Pitino to Gordie Chiesa. Simply put, Dan has nothing or very little on paper to indicate he is far superior. Again, I am still a Danny supporter and do believe he will eventually get it, turn it around or figure it out. I will say again though, at this stage it doesn't stop the frustration and the questions that go with it.

A question was posed to me today, if, back 5 years ago, URI wasn't able to get Danny as coach and instead we named someone like Tim O'Shea, Jim Christian, Steve Pikiell or even Preston, and the scenario turned out exactly the same, or the program was in a very similar position, how much tolerance would I have, or other URI have, like the ones on this board? Try to be honest with yourself? If the coach hired, did not have such a legendary family background? I thought to myself perhaps Preston would catch a little more patience and more breaks from the fans, but how about some other guys that have lesser ties to the program? Would there be as many fans to cut them slack and make continuous excuses for them? Remember, 5 years on the job now.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

How can we compare against those guys? They actually made the tournament!

We aren't going anywhere...except MAYBE a middle NIT seed.......win the A10 tourney?

Sure, and I'm Santa Claus......

Giovanni, URI has shown the quick hook to some coaches, and have let others linger far too long.....

The Hurley name got him hired here....since then, it's been one excuse after the other....of course some of those excuses have been legit, but like you've said, it's been 5 years now....his leash has to be a lot shorter now, or it should....this season has to have opened some eyes in the admin....although if they know the game they've seen that Dan can't win the close ones...and it's not going to change any time soon or if ever....

If they think it's going to change, we're in for several more years of almost but not quite.....it's their call... CFL was dumped because of failing attendance and player issues...well Dan hasn't got the players issues but the attendance issue will become bigger again and soon.

It's all about that "acceptance of mediocrity" thing...if that's what URI wants again, than that's what they'll get again. Hurley isn't the answer, and this season proves it, or will prove it, without a shadow of a doubt.....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Baron's wins over higher profile programs in his 11 year tenure at URI were by my quick count:

Seton Hall (NIT)
Northwestern (NIT)
Nevada (NIT)
@ Va Tech (NIT)
@ Syracuse
vs Oklahoma State
vs Miami-Fl
Providence (5x)
Southern Cal
Utah
BC (3x)
UAB
Penn State
Davidson (2x)
VCU
Temple (4x)
Dayton (8x)
Xavier

Hurley's wins over higher profile programs in his 4+ year tenure at URI were by my quick count:
@ Auburn
SMU
@ LSU
vs TCU
Nebraska
Santa Clara
Cincinnati
Dayton (3x)
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And Dan has 3....Cincy, Dayton, and a very overrated Nebraska team....in 5 years.....
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

who's going to start the go fund me page for the buy out?
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

We'll never get an upgrade to the football facilities with all these basketball coach buy outs. They are supposed to make the tourney and bring money in...instead they should all be arrested for grand larceny for stealing from the university (Just kidding for those who who take things literally)
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

An upgrade to the football facilities? You mean they have trouble using the bathroom as much as they can't play football?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I wanted to keep this in a separate post.
Friday, Ed Cooley said,
"I want my players to have fun while playing.
They should enjoy it, and have fun!"
Does anyone see joy in our team? Ever see
them loose and enjoying themselves on
the floor?
No. They play tight.Why?
You can't be loose and have fun, if you're afraid to
make a mistake.
It presents a pressure all its own.
That's true in any workplace or game.

Hurley is wound up tight and his players follow his lead. The same was said of Baron. I can recall someone in the A-10 coaching fraternity (always assumed it was probably Martelli) dismissing Baron's teams by saying they were always sure to eventually wilt under pressure as the season progressed when the lights were brighter.

I think Dan runs a much more structured ship than Baron and has probably done more behind the scenes to improve the program than Baron did. I however think it is fair to make comparisons on how they handle pressure and do (W/L) in big games. Unfortunately, there seem to be some similarities.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

...I am only asking, don't read anything into it, DH is under contract to what year?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Does anyone think it's kind of poor for Jared Terrell
to only having 12 shots in his last 2 games?
So, EC is getting the lion share of shots, but why
is Jared made to have his game so subservient to EC's?
Make no sense.
We're 15-7 when Terrell scores 15 points or more.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote:I know some are getting upset as there are comparisons being made against CFL. But, if we compared against Skinner, NCAAT win against Purdue, Penders, NCAAT win against #3 Syracuse to advance to the Sweet 16 or Harrick, NCAAT win against #1 Kansas en route to Elite 8 ................. :roll:
Ann none of those guys had the Ryan Center, which was supposed to put our program on the next level.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

section(105) wrote:...I am only asking, don't read anything into it, DH is under contract to what year?
Dan Hurley is signed through the 2021-22 season. Five more years after this season.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -extension
Last edited by STC 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The NEW CFL?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I was 100% for the Hurley hire. I was so hoping he could achieve here. I think we all were. No foul on anyone on this hire. He was a "name" with no history. We took a chance. No harm no foul. If this year ends bad, it should make people think.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

There was no bigger booster of Dan Hurley than me.
I bought into him 100%.
I was happy when Thorr and Dooley went out and got their man.
The NJ pipeline seemed like a bonanza waiting to be culled.
I liked him right off the bat.
He told me he'd be the most transparent coach we've ever had.
I bought season tickets, went to every event.
I even got banned from the PC board for defending Dan.
He'd warmly greet my daughter and grandkids.
He'd tell the kids about the new color wrap at the Ryan Center.
He remembered people's names.
No bullshit, just tells you what he thinks, off the record.
Was friendly with Andrea Hurley, as was my daughter.
I also like the Hurley family very much.
Kids with manners, Andrea's humor, Dan's bluntness.
Loved Bobby.
So, the end results have been particularly disappointing.
It's not personal by any means.
I did not like CFL at all, so blasting him was easy to do.
The fact is, Dan's done so many things right.
Recruits great kids, who make us proud.
Pays attention to the academics.
He stated, this is his team, he has the players he wanted.
However, the results have left much to be desired.
If I could wave a magic wand, all of our Rhody basketball hopes would be realized.
Will they ever be? I have my doubts.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:There was no bigger booster of Dan Hurley than me.
I bought into him 100%.
Loved Bobby.
If I could wave a magic wand, all of our Rhody basketball hopes would be realized.
We had the magic wand and let him get away...Skinner
0 x
---
---
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Pretty simple for me.. Dan needs to make the NCAA tournament this year. If he can't win with this team then it's never happening. I've never thought he was a good in game coach. I did truly believe he would improve with more experience and recruiting more talent. That we continue to have the same mistakes every year is a very bad sign. All I know is I screamed at the TV about making adjustments with Baron and I'm doing the same exact thing now. I have more faith in Hurley then I do Baron. We don't make it this year I won’t anymore.
Last edited by steveystuds06 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

All I ask for is a healthy team and that includes EC playing decently to really see what we have and what Hurley can do. Playing decently is not what he did yesterday but just playing a solid game. Let's not forget yesterday's game was without our 2 best defensive players. One good thing is Langevine is getting valuable experience that should help as we go through the entire season.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Well said. No one is saying you can't criticize the team, but it's only constructive when you're realistic.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Ugh! I can't believe I'm going to have to defend CFL here!
Revisionism, BM? OK, here we go.
CFL played, Kansas, #1 ranked at the time, Pitt (2),
Seton Hall (2),USC (2), Miami,Syracuse (2), Duke,
Utah, VaTech, and Valpo.
He also played a very good Kent State team (2),
and Al Skinner's BC.
Oh, and he was UNDEFEATED at the Ryan Center vs. PC,
and beat PC at the Dunk.
I'm so tired of the hype every year, and people here expecting
a different result than the year before.
The excuses are legion.
I had a legend, who should know better, tell me last year, before the season,
that that team would bury the 78-88-98 teams.
Really? They'd have been run off the floor by those teams.
CFL vs. Dan is like saying Cleveland Browns or Jacksonville Jaguars,
which is better?
Yeah, one time every year Baron would play a real team on the road so he could collect the road guarantee and say look who we played. Every other nonconference game was designed to be weak so we could pad the record and get 20 wins
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I expected 8-2 here, with Providence and Valparaiso results flipped. Yesterday I saw progress in the half court sets and we actually inbounded the ball well. We pushed the ball nicely and filled the lanes. These are all the things I was looking for. We set a few bad picks resulting in fouls but we looked to set them at every opportunity. New behaviors are going to yield mistakes....but I am less concerned with a foul given on sticking a pick than no attempt made to screen. Terrell is naturally going to have most trouble with change in the offense as he is a player who likes to go one on one. He will figure it out.

I guess I'm a bit surprised by the forum meltdown as a result of this loss. As I mentioned our handling of Gray on defense was atrocious and lost us this game.

Agree there are no excuses this season and I am on the record saying it.

This team needs to make a deep run. 6-4 vs 8-2 is not good.

The season however is still young.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Didn't Dan say that he wanted his players to have fun out there?

The coach is wound tighter than a drum......and so are his players......like I've said, Dan is a very smart guy...but it's not showing out there....

He just doesn't have the temperament to be a big time coach....and I think maybe deep down he knows it.....saying that he doesn't intend to coach past 50 is a telling comment.....

Maybe he will retire early....and save himself a ton of aggravation.....it's not working out for him.

There's no way he fulfills his contract here...imo...for whatever reason....and I don't think there will be any more extensions until promises are kept...and that's not happening either......
Why don't you practice what you preach? You keep talking about leaving the board, why don't you just go?
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:While Danny took over a mess, it was certainly nothing worse than what Baron inherited from Jerry D.
What Dan inherited was significantly worse and it's been stated clearly multiple times
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

...gonna be a long week...
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Especially if the Jints don't get it done tonight. It will be back to back horrible weekends.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Didn't Dan say that he wanted his players to have fun out there?

Why don't you practice what you preach? You keep talking about leaving the board, why don't you just go?
Sorta aggressive there, Rhowdyboy. If you don't like Rambone's take on things, just put a block on his posts. Reading your myopic tripe tempts me, too...
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Great block me or even better, go back to whatever rock you were hiding under. Funny how you're only around during the lower points, I'm sure you're a real fan
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

nothing like a little losing to bring out the holiday cheer and good will towards men :lol:
1 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Great block me or even better, go back to whatever rock you were hiding under. Funny how you're only around during the lower points, I'm sure you're a real fan
Unfortunately (for you and others), I posted for more than three years straight, during good and bad. If this is the low point you're pretty naive and/or historically ignorant.
The reason I haven't been posting, is that besides being abducted by aliens, my wife has been beyond seriously ill and needs care.
URI Basketball is URI Basketball. There are constants in Life that no matter how unpleasant are also calming, and this disappointing season -- thus far -- is what URI Basketball has been during my lifetime.
THE GREAT BIG UNFULFILLED PROMISE OF GLORY.
(No wonder I come from a long line of Brooklyn Dodger fans. Those still alive don't believe in the Los Angeles Dodgers.)
So, I suppose I'm a URI Stoic.
That answers why I can't get worked up about the unfinished Hellenic Center.
I wish Coach Hurley and the players all the best.
Quality kids by all accounts and I'm thrilled they were recruited to represent The University.
So, under my rock I go.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all and to all GOODBYE
1 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

bressler3south wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Great block me or even better, go back to whatever rock you were hiding under. Funny how you're only around during the lower points, I'm sure you're a real fan
Unfortunately (for you and others), I posted for more than three years straight, during good and bad. If this is the low point you're pretty naive and/or historically ignorant.
The reason I haven't been posting, is that besides being abducted by aliens, my wife has been beyond seriously ill and needs care.
URI Basketball is URI Basketball. There are constants in Life that no matter how unpleasant are also calming, and this disappointing season -- thus far -- is what URI Basketball has been during my lifetime.
THE GREAT BIG UNFULFILLED PROMISE OF GLORY.
(No wonder I come from a long line of Brooklyn Dodger fans. Those still alive don't believe in the Los Angeles Dodgers.)
So, I suppose I'm a URI Stoic.
That answers why I can't get worked up about the unfinished Hellenic Center.
I wish Coach Hurley and the players all the best.
Quality kids by all accounts and I'm thrilled they were recruited to represent The University.
So, under my rock I go.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all and to all GOODBYE

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Hope all goes.well, Bress.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:There was no bigger booster of Dan Hurley than me.
I bought into him 100%.
Loved Bobby.
We had the magic wand and let him get away...Skinner
A week ago they were saying URI was the first OOC ranked team to visit the Dunk since 2006.

It is funny that Skinner was the tide that helped all the ships rise in New England. Not saying it was anymore than it was, but URI and PC and other New England schools could get BC to visit. Not to mention what BC has been without Al Skinner. Just his tenure there had some bad breaks. Just Williams being dismissed.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
giovanni wrote:While Danny took over a mess, it was certainly nothing worse than what Baron inherited from Jerry D.
What Dan inherited was significantly worse and it's been stated clearly multiple times

"Significantly worse" and its been stated clearly multiple times? By this board? OK

One thing I have certainly noticed in reading this board and talking to some fans in person, there seema to be major differences in expectations, philosophies and opinions of what the program should be, could be or actually is at this point and what is has been over the last several years, among the older fans compared to those of the newer more recent fan base. I think the vast majority of the people on this board are true fans and really enjoy cheering for the team. Opinions are usually solid and fair in their assessment or thought process. However, at times I believe that certain perspectives and expectations are very much different from many of us who have seen this program succeed at its highest levels. No we are not Duke or Kentucky, but we have had a few great moments and teams. Let's face it, in my case and some others here, we were following URI basketball in the over heated Keaney Gym before some here were even born. I am not saying a view from an older fan is any better than one from a younger fans and vice versa. I simply get the feeling that part of everyone here's perspective seems in part to be what eras that began following the in and what they have been through over the years.

Obviously fans of all ages and generations are always welcomed and enjoyed. When I was a very young man, I used to have a belief or some sort of dream that one day, we would be able to consistently fill our arena and see fans of all ages wearing URI garb in all areas of state. And that this team would be the major focal point of the state when it comes to college sports. Unfortunately, that has never come to fruition at this point, and unlikely will. In my lifetime anyway.

Best of luck, wishes and my prayers go out to you and your family Bress.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

After thinking it over a bit, a large part of me thinks that this team was just overrated coming into the season as simple as that. They are good, but nowhere near as good as they were hyped to be, nor as good as they will be at the end of the year. There are almost too many mouths to feed between EC and Terrell and Hassan and sometimes chemistry just doesn't fit. I expect this team will look a lot better towards the end of the year and if not then its all on the coaching. Although I guess the hype is kind of on Dan as well, for all they pumped it up preseason.

I know these losses are potentially killing our path to the NCCAs, and I do still expect this team to compete better as the season goes on, as we have seen in pretty much all of Dan's previous years here. Its all a very depressing turn of events and realizations from the emotional high Cincinnati game. I am not sure why I keep trying to believe in this team, loss after loss.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Prayers and good wishes to your wife, Bressler.
You are one of my comrade in arms on this board.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I've been a URI fan since I was in grade school, when my dad took me to Keaney to watch the annual UConn-URI battles for the Yankee Conference crown.....watched us consistently score 100 on the weak sisters like Maine, UNH, and Vermont....saw Dr.J take us apart as I watched in wonder....saw good teams and bad......good coaches and bad coaches...would never trade those memories for anything.....

As a program we are not destined to be the Gonzaga of the East or anything like that....we simply don't have the resources as a state school...times have changed....I would gladly go back to the Skinner years where we occasionally Danced...and we would still bitch about Al but dammit, at least he got us there......

Someday we will find a diamond in the rough as a coach, and enjoy a few magic moments in the spotlight.....and that coach will sail away to a bigger program....it will always be like this....it's been way too long since we experienced that.....and it will be a while longer I'm afraid...

Anyway, good luck Bressler and especially to your wife, we will miss you and hopefully you'll be back among us in time.....
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's pretty uncool for a poster to chase other posters off the board, in my opinion.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree that DH is a very likeable guy and CFL really wasnt

One thing I like about DH after every game he stops and shakes the opposing coach hand and chats for a bit, CFL would just walk and shake the guy's hand without saying anything

That being said as coaches their results are fairly similar. Both coaches tease us getting leads then blowing them and losing .
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Two of this year's blind optimists (you know who you are) are being complete dirty nozzle douche bags, can't stand to face reality so they have to turn the pain outward and attack those who aren't head over heals optimistic. At least last year's blind optimist is a nice guy, never attacked a poster and is beginning to understand the frustration of every damn off-season's hyped expectations.

Maybe you two clowns can run everyone with a differing opinion off the board and then the two of you can just get each other off whispering sweet optimisms about our team and coach, a kind of two person circle jerk. You're idiots and you are attacking the members that make this forum great.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'