Jim Baron 2.0

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Jim Baron 2.0

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Rod, Dayton was still in the coach's poll when we beat them last year. I know, the stupid coach's poll, but that's counting as ranked by media members. I couldn't believe they were still in the coach's poll having just lost a couple games to A10 crap teams.

Taking the ranking discussion out completely, that was a legit win against a NCAA team in a hostile environment on the road with a severely depleted roster.
Correct,
Dayton was ranked #22 in ESPN/USA Today Coaches poll. We beat them by 9 on their home court.
2 weeks earlier we lost to Dayton at the Ryan Center 68-66. Game was Nationally Broadcast on ESPN. Dayton was Ranked 19/17 at that time. Point is we played a Ranked team very tough. Dayton also had a high RPI at the time
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Ramster is the board's pom pom waver.
So, we should all be happy because Dan stopped
his sideline ranting after four years?
You actually mention last years Dayton team as being ranked.
They weren't when we played them, or after.
Nebraska was a pretender, who was dropped out of the rankings,
never to return.
Cincy is ranked, but not exactly a world beater.
As for the "great recruiter" part, the first two years, yes.
Is anyone that impressed with the last two cycles?
So, keep telling yourself, everything is beautiful,
while most of us see the reality of the on court product.
This Jim Baron 2.0 thread was started saying Hurley is much the same as Baron. That is what I am addressing - how I see Hurley as not close to comparable to Baron.

Dan changing the side-lane behavior is just an example of how he changed something. It was also a constant complaint on these boards last season saying it was costing us calls and games. Not saying all should be happy about it. Just that I keep hearing he will never change any of his behavior from other posters.

Dayton was ranked #22 in ESPN Coaches Poll. We beat them by 9 points on their home court with Garrett in his mask. Berry had 15 points in 13 minutes on 7-7 shooting.
Dayton was also ranked 19/17 when we played them 2 weeks earlier when we lost at home 68-66.

Simply making the point that Hurley has 3 Top 25 wins. Baron went 0-19 and URI had not beaten a Top 25 team in this century. 3 Top 25 wins is a start, but only a start, but it is light years ahead of the 16 year dry spell we experienced.
, he becomes CFL.
I will not tell myself everything is beautiful until we get the NCAA bid, and even then there will be room for improvement.
The only dry spell is the NCAAT. All the other stuff is nice feathers in a cap. Every year DH doesn't make the tourney he becomes closer to CFL.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:Yeah despite the negative side of my brain here after a tough week, this is a ridiculous title for a thread. It really shouldn't be even posted here. Yes Dan isn't the best coach in the league right now (oh no how terrible that our 7 year, young up and coming coach isn't already better than legendary college coaches like Bob McKillop, Phil Martelli, and Archie Miller already! OMG guys) but it's absolutely absurd to even put the two of these together for a comparison. Comparing Dan to Baron is like comparing an orange to London because there's an "o" in both words.

I get the immediate pain of the PC loss, but holy shit you've lost your god damn minds if you think these two are ANYTHING alike.

Do we need stats? OK hold on I've got stats. I will even include Dan's first 2 years which are 110% Jim Baron's fault for leaving the barest cupboard AND an APR that forced Dan to target different recruits than he would have originally wanted.

Let's start with the obvious record against ranked teams:

Dan Hurley: 3-9 .250 - Minus first 2 years of Baron's handcuffing, he's 3-6 against ranked teams, a .333

Jim Baron: 0-19 .000 - Self explanitory.

Jim Baron had 6 seasons where he didn't even get a ranked team on the schedule. Dan Hurley has given his team a chance to play a ranked team every year he's been here.
How about after the first week in February?

Dan Hurley: 18-22 .450 - Minus the first 2 post-Baron years of 5-12 (.294), he's 13-10 (.565). I don't think anyone could say he didn't get the most out of a young core team to win an A10 game and win an NIT game, or with an injury plagued team to knock off a ranked team on the road that fought til the end. Still has a chance to write something this year.

Jim Baron: 47-65 .419 - This stat doesn't show the MAJOR collapses during years where we could've been NCAA bound. How about 2010 where he missed 3 chances to beat the same ranked Temple team: home, road, and neutral? A senior day loss to an AWFUL UMass team at home? 1 of those wins gets you an NCAA birth that year. Started 12-1 against a soft ooc. Finished 23-9 before the NIT. 9-7 in conference.

Who could forget 09 where we started out 11-4 losing to Duke and Nova. Played 11-5 in conference with a chance to go dancing by just beating a terrible UMass team at home on senior day and win an A-10 game against the NIT bound Duquesne Dukes playing a back to back after we beat them a week before? That was fun.

How about 2008? That was fun. Started 14-1. Got ranked up to #21. Lost to ranked Dayton. Beat shitty Duquesne. Lost to an AWFUL St Louis team. Won some games then lost 8 OF THEIR LAST 10. Blew a 20+ point lead in the NIT by leaving their best player on the bench.

Do I need to go on?

Fuck I get that this week sucked. But you are high on some fucking shit if you are typing anything comparing Dan Hurley to Jim Baron. The fact that I am mentioning them in the same sentence is giving me fucking hives.

You can't ignore everything behind the scenes issues and "worry about the W's" and turn a blind eye to what was going on with the program under Baron. This is college not the pros. Academic issues matter. Issues with the law matter. You don't get to go and make W's if you're not already taking care of that business, or you're a UNC-type power that can sweep it under the rug.

But let's look at it in a vacuum. Say that shit is irrelevant, which it isn't and you're dumb for believing so. What did Baron win here? Ever? Not a god damn thing. Not a single big, meaningful game. Woo hoo, he beat PC a couple of times while still having a losing record against them. I'd gladly a win there for a win in any of those above seasons when it mattered. It sucks losing to a rival, but if you make an NCAA tournament in that same season it certainly eases the sting.

Was our program nationally known for anything other than a hot cup of coffee in the top 25 before collapsing? Was there EVER pre-season write-ups on a national level? If Jim Baron played the schedule Dan Hurley played these past seasons do you think his record is better? If Dan Hurley coached URI's teams from 07-2010 do you not think we're dancing AT LEAST 3 of those year?

You are high AS FUCK if you think that we'd be better off or the same with Jim Baron. I honestly hate you people with a fire that I can't even explain through words for even entertaining the thought.

Criticizing our young and up-and-coming coach for some tactical and game managing deficiencies is completely warranted and accurate.

Comparing a coach without whom we would be fucking FORDHAM to the coach who led to be that program, who may in-fact be the worst long term hire in college basketball HISTORY is fucking lunacy.

I know people tend to romanticize people when they die or after they're gone...but there was nothing good about Jim Baron with the exception of his oldest son, who was a career 43% 3 point shooter, who had 2 seasons over 45% AND NEVER HAD A SINGLE GOD DAMN PLAY DRAWN UP FOR HIM TO GET OPEN SO HE HAD TO LEARN TO SHOOT FROM FUCKING HALF COURT AND WE STILL COULDN'T MAKE THE TOURNAMENT OR WIN A FUCKING BIG GAME WITH HIM ON OUR ROSTER FUCK.

We should be so god damn lucky that within 3 years of Baron effectively giving our program the death penalty that we're whining about falling short BECAUSE WE DIDN'T MAKE THE NCAAs WHICH WE DIDN'T MAKE FOR OVER A DECADE BECAUSE OF FUCKING BARON. I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO CALMLY EVISCERATE YOU IDIOTS TRYING TO MAKE THIS COMPARISON BUT NOW IM YELLING IN MY HEAD BECAUSE I AM REMEMBERING EVERYTHING SO TERRIBLE ABOUT THE 2000'S AND I FUCKING HATE ALL OF YOU FOR BRINGING THIS OUT.

Calm down, everyone, me included. We lost 2 top 75 games on the road. The season goals of A10 titles and NCAA's are still in tact.

Christ, the week sucked, we lost 2 winnable games - one of which was a rivalry, I get it. I live in this space of pain. But holy shit when threads have titles like this you make us all look like fucktards.
Blue Man,
Excellent research. I checked and this is the 100th reply to this idiotic POS thread that never should have been started. It pisses me off just to read the first 5 posts of this nonsensical comparison of Hurley to Baron.

You really get me with 3 Top 25 wins by Hurley compared to ZERO for 19 for Baron.
But even more that Baron did not get a single Top 25 team on his schedule for 6 years in a row. That was CLASSIC BARON!!!
This guy made it an art-form for not getting Top 25 teams on the schedule. His specialty was to pad the Won Lost record. He wanted 20+ wins - that was his drive. Even when he was under pressure from Thorr/Dooley he kept promoting his most wins in the history of the program in a 5 year span or some nonsense like that. He was all about the Win-Loss record.

Hurley may be 3-9 vs Top 25 teams but as you said the early years were tough as Baron left the cupboard empty. Billy Baron and Holton were to be the top two players and both left. Hurley really had to start all over again. But also, Hurley is much more likely to give a Top 25 opponent a struggle. Cooley gives Top 25 teams struggles almost all the time - rarely does a Cooley team get blown out.

But Baron? I remember many of those 19 Top 25 games that he lost were embarrassing blowouts. I remember some of them being on ESPN, I'd get all excited, tell family and friends to watch on TV and the game would be a total disaster.

and the post game shows were beyond belief. All Coach-speak, all the same Coach-speak. Blaming the ball pressure, blaming the refs, blaming how many games they had to play in the past 6 days, blaming the travel, saying they shot the basketball. The last season folds were classic.

Bottom line it is not even close and never well be between these two guys.
4 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Blue Man, just finally got to read your posts... Thank you!!!! Damn you said exactly what I'm thinking. There is nothing wrong with questioning coaching decisions in close games and demand we start winning more of these type of games, but it makes you guys look so naive to compare the Bafoon to Coach Hurley. That's why I hate the name of this thread. I knew a loss to PeeC would cause a meltdown, but this is crazy. I'm a huge Hurley supporter and will continue to be. I question a bunch of his decisions, but really think he's amazing for our program. He's negotiated upgrades to facilitates and assistant coaches before he's demanded bigger money for himself. I got news for you guys $1mm salary a year is not top dollar anymore, look where his pay ranks in the A10. I hate that you guys are calling for his head and comparing him to CFL. Blue Man, you post much more often then me and are local, and I really appreciate your posts here, people read and respect your posts. I'm a 20 year alum from the Skinner days and living in TX now, but love my Rams as much as anyone here, BTW that's my real license plate on my pic. I hate to see such horrible hatred towards a coach that had done great things for this program. Criticize, but be freaking rational!!
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NCAA OR BUST. I think that we collectively named this main thread on the basketball site. To date, it's been a BUST. Year 5. Five years. No NCAAT. NONE.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and this ridiculous thread was about how Dan Hurley was comparable to Jim Baron
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

theblueram wrote:NCAA OR BUST. I think that we collectively named this main thread on the basketball site. To date, it's been a BUST. Year 5. Five years. No NCAAT. NONE.
Go be PC fan then.. My god, have you seen where this debacle was when Hurley took over. He's building a future for this program and this season is not over... Simmer down and root for your team. Question things, but have a little sense!!!
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Take off the homer shades and look objectively...on paper Hurley = Baron.

Both turned the program around to NIT level. Both have tons of talent on the team but cant coach it.

Every game against a good team under Hurley has been Baron Ball to a tee. Rock fight with no offensI've game plan executed. Just a bunch of 1 on 1 try to make something happen. They stay close then every time fail to execute in the final minutes and actually close a game out.

Good feelings and hard ons aside, you need to win games that matter. A 20% winning percentage against the top 50 ain't it
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Take off the homer shades and look objectively...on paper Hurley = Baron.

Both turned the program around to NIT level. Both have tons of talent on the team but cant coach it.

Every game against a good team under Hurley has been Baron Ball to a tee. Rock fight with no offensI've game plan executed. Just a bunch of 1 on 1 try to make something happen. They stay close then every time fail to execute in the final minutes and actually close a game out.

Good feelings and hard ons aside, you need to win games that matter. A 20% winning percentage against the top 50 ain't it
So ridiculous!!!!!

Go Rhody!!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Mongo wrote:
theblueram wrote:NCAA OR BUST. I think that we collectively named this main thread on the basketball site. To date, it's been a BUST. Year 5. Five years. No NCAAT. NONE.
Go be PC fan then.. My god, have you seen where this debacle was when Hurley took over. He's building a future for this program and this season is not over... Simmer down and root for your team. Question things, but have a little sense!!!
You can root like a madman for the team and try to get to every game possible, regardless of the cost. I do that. But, you can do that and also have little to no confidence in the ability of the coach, too...that actually seems pretty reasonable at this point.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Mongo wrote:
Harrick was here one year, and he brought the Number 1 Recruit in the Nation to URI. How many years does it take? I think JT is the last 4* recruit we had and he's a Junior. And no 4* next year. And none in between.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

theblueram wrote:
Mongo wrote:
Harrick was here one year, and he brought the Number 1 Recruit in the Nation to URI. How many years does it take? I think JT is the last 4* recruit we had and he's a Junior. And no 4* next year. And none in between.
No one in the A10 is locking up 4 star recruits regularly. There were a total of 3 in 2016, none in 2015, and 2 in 2014. One of the two in 2014 was JT. Recruiting is not an issue. We are keeping up with the top of the league.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

And look how the league is doing this year. The top of the league is us (maybe). Recruiting is an issue. Across the whole league.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I don't know blueram. A10 has always been a 3 star league.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Sorry where is the Hurley 5 year NCAA drought? It's fucking DECEMBER. Complain away in March if our name isn't called.

You guys are fucking ridiculous.

GBG...waiting on the big win? Sorry you must've been in hibernation when we beat Cincinnati...which will be the marquee win that helps get us off the bubble.

I really don't understand the people on this board. Oh yeah Harrick brought in Odom after one year? You fucking idiot yeah he paid him and thankfully left after so that we didn't get hit with the full amount of sanctions after.

This has to be the single dumbest thread in the history of college basketball talk that has ever been written.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Take off the homer shades and look objectively...on paper Hurley = Baron.

This is in the running for dumbest fucking post on this board.

You don't watch basketball. You didn't watch Jim Baron basketball...and oh yeah... IT'S....FUCKING....DECEMBER.

IT'S FUCKING DECEMBER.

Did I miss selection Sunday or is it 13 mother fucking weeks away?

As for me being a homer? I'd love to intelligently debate coaching decisions, substitution patterns, playing time, calling plays vs their execution...but you retards are mouth vomiting bullshit like 13 year old girls on their first periods about how Dan Hurley is like Jim Baron because we lost close games...in December...on the road...to top 50 and 100 teams.

Feel free to debate this and cry like girls IN MARCH.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is one of the more ridiculous threads ever.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....lock it up....??
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If this was suppose to be "the year" and Vegas has us favored to win BOTH games and we have superior talent over Valpo and PC on paper, we have to find a way to win at least ONE. I don't care if it's December or whatever fucking month, These two games were two of the most important on the schedule. How many games do we have left to make a statement on the road? Houston, Dayton and Davidson. That's it.

So Blue Man, please try and argue against These points.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

15, good points......if we are on the bubble in March, these 2 losses will keep us out......December games DO matter, especially since most of our league games will be against mediocre to poor teams.....
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Losses on the road to top 50 and 100 NCAA teams do not keep you out of the tournament. Those are more than balanced out with a marquee top 25 win.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Neither loss will be frowned upon by the selection committee. No one will say "Wow, couldn't win at Valpo or Providence. Not getting in." They are missed opportunities but not blemishes on a potential NCAA resume.

Take care of business the remainder of the non-conference (5-1 or 6-0) and then finish in the top 2 in the conference and we're in.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

They are blemishes where our resume is brought up and analysts talk about Top 50/100 wins and we barely have any.
0 x
Go Rhody
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

There are still plenty of opportunities. We will end up with 7 top 100 wins and 3 top 50 wins. Already one signature win on the resume (Cincinnati).
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RoadyJay wrote:Neither loss will be frowned upon by the selection committee. No one will say "Wow, couldn't win at Valpo or Providence. Not getting in." They are missed opportunities but not blemishes on a potential NCAA resume.

Take care of business the remainder of the non-conference (5-1 or 6-0) and then finish in the top 2 in the conference and we're in.
By themselves they're not bad losses but when they start to add up they are. Three teams from the a10 made the tournament last year and here's their record against 51-100 rpi teams:

Dayton: 6-1
Saint Joes: 5-2
VCU: 6-3

So yea, hopefully PC or Valpo end up in the top 50 but if they don't there's really not much room for error the rest of the season with teams in that range.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

You guys are acting as if these loses so far are the only ones we'll have!

Jay, grow up.
Using f-bombs as punctuation and capital letter paragraphs ,destroys whatever
points you're trying to make and makes you seem an unhinged fan boy.
I say this as the guy who introduced you to Dan Hurley, and like you both very much.
Here goes!
Harrick was here ONE year?
Lamar was paid to play here?
You're glad Harrick left?
Since you were what, 10 years old during his tenure, I'll explain.
Fact:Harrick got us as close to bigtime as we'll likely ever get.
Fact: Harrick is one of a handful of coaches to take FOUR schools to the NCAAS.
He won a National Championship.
ESPN did Midnight Madness from Keaney.
Harrick was interviewed on national TV many times as URI's coach.
You're glad he left?
Let me tell you, Jim Harrick didn't have a Hall of Fame father,
or a All American lottery pick brother.
What he was in 10 times the coach Dan is or likely ever will be.
The ONLY bigtime things we had during Harrick's two years was Jim Harrick,
and Lamar Odom.
The ride he took us on will never be forgotten.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Gotta love Rod, his mind changes like the wind. One day he's 3 feet up DH's rectum praising him and the next swing he's blasting him for not being the coach we need... this board has become hyperbole
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote:This is one of the more ridiculous threads ever.
Right? I'm as frustrated as anyone and I've voiced plenty of criticism of the coaching staff since the end of the providence game. I think it's deserved, and feel like people have a right to voice frustration and criticism. But try to keep it in perspective or you just look silly.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hey, whoever you are.
So you never met anyone, a girl, a co-worker, a friend, who you liked,
and after a time, that person wasn't what you thought they were or the co-worker
you felt they'd be?
Grow up. People get married and divorced, and I can't change my mind on a basketball coach?
What world do you live in?
You make it seem like this happened overnight.
Believe me, it was a gradual realization of things.
As the Doobie Brothers song goes,
"I ain't blind and I don't like what I think I see."
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:
Right? I'm as frustrated as anyone and I've voiced plenty of criticism of the coaching staff since the end of the providence game. I think it's deserved, and feel like people have a right to voice frustration and criticism. But try to keep it in perspective or you just look silly.
It's a poor title for the thread. It seems like there are only a handful of people, maybe less, that really believe Hurley is Baron 2.0. The issue is that when Hurley first came here there was talk about him being the next Shaka Smart which now obviously was too high of expectations. At this point I think people are seeing that Hurley is probably somewhere between Smart and Baron but possibly closer to Baron.

Hearing Hurley say stuff like he wants to turn this program into Gonzaga or this year when he said he finally had the depth to play the way he wanted to now just seems like stuff he said to please the fans but can't back up.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

So the title of the thread is bothering people? Jim Baron was not as bad a coach as many here want to believe and Dan Hurley is not as good a coach as many here want to believe.

the title of the thread is meant to grab your attention.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I agreed with much of what GBG said in the past, I always and still will disagree with GBG's thoughts on X. Munford was/is way better than GBG wants to believe he is.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I still think we are in way better shape with DH compared to CFL and am still glad he is our coach

That being said if we fail to dance this year then he should be ridiculed as we didn't live up to the hype. No excuses this year last year was his mulligan
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
It's a poor title for the thread. It seems like there are only a handful of people, maybe less, that really believe Hurley is Baron 2.0. The issue is that when Hurley first came here there was talk about him being the next Shaka Smart which now obviously was too high of expectations. At this point I think people are seeing that Hurley is probably somewhere between Smart and Baron but possibly closer to Baron.

Hearing Hurley say stuff like he wants to turn this program into Gonzaga or this year when he said he finally had the depth to play the way he wanted to now just seems like stuff he said to please the fans but can't back up.
DH mentioning Gonzaga of the East is setting a vision. It is something to imagine, drive for. One of the great college Coaches, Lefty Driesell said he wanted to turn Maryland into the UCLA of the East. It made headlines, and I still vividly remember it to this day. UCLA was a dynasty if there ever was one led by legendary John Wooden.
Gonzaga is the "gold standard" for mid majors. I think Butler or Xavier could also be used in this regard.

Part of being a CEO of a Corporation, a Politician, a President of a University, a College Basketball Head Coach, is to create a vision, a long term goal, to energize the community, the students, the fan base..............

Was he supposed to "back it up"? No, it's a vision.

Do you want your Head Coach, AD, President of URI saying our ultimate goal is to make the NCAA every year, every 5 years or our ultimate goal is to win a National Championship? I want the National Championship. If we don't achieve that do I hang the Coach in effigy? No, of course not. If Dan does not make URI the Gonzaga of the East Coast is that reason to fire him? No, unless of course you took the Gonzaga of the East or the UCLA of the East literally.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... 3b662b1bc5
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote:So the title of the thread is bothering people? Jim Baron was not as bad a coach as many here want to believe and Dan Hurley is not as good a coach as many here want to believe.

Not true.
Go back and read the beginning of this thread. You are saying that the title was meant to grab attention? You are saying that they were not seen as equal? Just that the difference is only on the extremes?

No. It was definitely that Baron and Hurley are equal. Go read the posts, and not from just 1 or 2 posters are they called equal....even Brendan Malone thrown in for good measure, more than a couple.

What this did do is make Blue Man and Myself and others go back and dig up the records and study the facts. Time since last NCAA Bid of 16 years. Baron never once beating a Top 25 team going Zero for 19. Baron not even scheduling a Top 25 team in OOC games for 6 consecutive years. Hurley winning 3 Top 25 games.

I don't even want to think about the Baron years, but it was brought back up unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it. But anyone who thinks that they were equal or even close to equal? I just don't know what to say.

Ok to stir the pot, the pot has been stirred. Now we know where most everyone stands.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If this story of Hassan being out for 4 weeks is true,
there the 2016-17 excuse for under-performing
expectations, once more.
Frontcourt talent development taking a back seat
to guard play.
Now he'll have to rely on Berry and/or Laysard.
Two players who have yet to really see the floor
this year.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Running Ram wrote:So the title of the thread is bothering people? Jim Baron was not as bad a coach as many here want to believe and Dan Hurley is not as good a coach as many here want to believe.

What are we selling Newspapers here????? Who give a shit about grabbing attention. The title is idiotic, if we want to discuss our current coach and his current state, title it that way. The comparison argument is a waste of time.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, it will help their development for next season and therefore help the team...for next season....

We really are cursed..wow......

Makes the next 2 games much harder....after that if he does come back in 4 weeks...might be OK, but jeez.....
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote:Sorry where is the Hurley 5 year NCAA drought? It's fucking DECEMBER. Complain away in March if our name isn't called.

GBG...waiting on the big win? Sorry you must've been in hibernation when we beat Cincinnati...which will be the marquee win that helps get us off the bubble.

I really don't understand the people on this board. Oh yeah Harrick brought in Odom after one year? You fucking idiot yeah he paid him and thankfully left after so that we didn't get hit with the full amount of sanctions after.

This has to be the single dumbest thread in the history of college basketball talk that has ever been written.
I am an optimist by nature but Cincy on a neutral court is just not a marquee win. That's not a "put the bubble team over the top" win. That's the type of win we should not be holding up as a top one or two win in five years. Resume builder? Absolutely. Momentum builder? Sure...if you can sustain it. But, we are falling over for a borderline top 25 team at a neutral site. Let's hold off on making them 1990 UNLV.
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

How true is the Hassan story? Rhody15 posted it, but no one I know at the college has heard of this. He may be right, but Hassan did an interview last night talking about how they all are excited to get back on track against ODU. Hope he's ok.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Until we hear from Dan I guess we should wait.........if true, practice injury? Or something else...seems a little strange that we would get a timeframe for his return that quickly if he was OK last night....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Sorry where is the Hurley 5 year NCAA drought? It's fucking DECEMBER. Complain away in March if our name isn't called.

I am an optimist by nature but Cincy on a neutral court is just not a marquee win. That's not a "put the bubble team over the top" win. That's the type of win we should not be holding up as a top one or two win in five years. Resume builder? Absolutely. Momentum builder? Sure...if you can sustain it. But, we are falling over for a borderline top 25 team at a neutral site. Let's hold off on making them 1990 UNLV.
It's early too. This Saturday #22 Cincinnati (7-1) visits #16 Butler, currently 8-0 and should be 9-0 by Saturday. This is an opportunity for Cincinnati to move off the borderline top 25
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Running Ram wrote:I agreed with much of what GBG said in the past, I always and still will disagree with GBG's thoughts on X. Munford was/is way better than GBG wants to believe he is.
You know...this hasn't been brought up in a while but you are 100% right on X. He is more than just a volume scorer guy. Just not a great cast around him here and the offensive system lends itself to giving the alpha guy too many shots and you can look very bad doing it. The reality is he wasn't very good here (efficiency wise) but that was clearly more roster, situation, coaching than pure talent. As much grief as I tend to get, I am at least open to changing my mind on things. I thought Kuran Iverson was no great shakes and that is sort of true. But, I also thought Terrell was a bit overrated. I didn't know if he was just a super athletic bowling ball and that doesn't always translate from prep to college. But, man, he is the real deal.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

It's early too. This Saturday #22 Cincinnati (7-1) visits #16 Butler, currently 8-0 and should be 9-0 by Saturday. This is an opportunity for Cincinnati to move off the borderline top 25
Agree here, too. They could be Nebraska or they could be a team that is top 10 RPI. Too early.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:
josephski wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

DH mentioning Gonzaga of the East is setting a vision. It is something to imagine, drive for. One of the great college Coaches, Lefty Driesell said he wanted to turn Maryland into the UCLA of the East. It made headlines, and I still vividly remember it to this day. UCLA was a dynasty if there ever was one led by legendary John Wooden.
Gonzaga is the "gold standard" for mid majors. I think Butler or Xavier could also be used in this regard.

Part of being a CEO of a Corporation, a Politician, a President of a University, a College Basketball Head Coach, is to create a vision, a long term goal, to energize the community, the students, the fan base..............

Do you want your Head Coach, AD, President of URI saying our ultimate goal is to make the NCAA every year, every 5 years or our ultimate goal is to win a National Championship? I want the National Championship. If we don't achieve that do I hang the Coach in effigy? No, of course not. If Dan does not make URI the Gonzaga of the East Coast is that reason to fire him? No, unless of course you took the Gonzaga of the East or the UCLA of the East literally.

Well yea it's nice to hear but not realistic and no, I don't expect him to back it up but I expected to have slightly more confidence moving forward. The Gonzaga thing isn't that big of a deal, it was an unrealistic expectation that we're no where to close to meeting. The larger concern in my mind is how he said he now has the depth to play the fast paced tempo he wants on offense. He didn't just say that to a couple fans, he said that during a10 media day.

It's concerning because it hasn't really happened and this is his 5th year with the roster he put together. So my question is why hasn't it happened? Did Dan not remember how good other teams are? Did he overrate this team coming into this season? Do our guys play much better in practice than in games?
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Remember the hype on Oneykaba.
I bought into it, as did others.
I think players in practices, without refs blowing whistles,
look very different than they do in game situations.
Iffy could bully Hare and everyone else, with brute strength,
banging them around.
In a game, he was on the bench with fouls before people
got to their seats.
I remember ARD in practice. As good as he was, if you watched him in
practices, he looked like a first team All American.
Smooth, making shots from everywhere.
His role in games was to grind the boards.
So, yeah, big difference from practice to the games.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:
josephski wrote:

Well yea it's nice to hear but not realistic and no, I don't expect him to back it up but I expected to have slightly more confidence moving forward. The Gonzaga thing isn't that big of a deal, it was an unrealistic expectation that we're no where to close to meeting. The larger concern in my mind is how he said he now has the depth to play the fast paced tempo he wants on offense. He didn't just say that to a couple fans, he said that during a10 media day.

It's concerning because it hasn't really happened and this is his 5th year with the roster he put together. So my question is why hasn't it happened? Did Dan not remember how good other teams are? Did he overrate this team coming into this season? Do our guys play much better in practice than in games?
I think the difference is that you think it was an expectation.....to me when Lefty Driesell says he wants to make Maryland the UCLA of the East. or Hurley wants URI to be like Gonzaga in the East, it is a vision, a goal, a magical place, a dream...........not an expectation that if URI does not become Gonzaga he should be crucified. I liked that he used the Gonzaga reference. And people remember things like that. I would much rather he say things like that then nothing. It's a fine line, especially on this Message Board, between getting the fan base excited, to market the program, to drive ticket sales........................and then be held accountable for that you might have said to drive excitement.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:
josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:

I think the difference is that you think it was an expectation.....to me when Lefty Driesell says he wants to make Maryland the UCLA of the East. or Hurley wants URI to be like Gonzaga in the East, it is a vision, a goal, a magical place, a dream...........not an expectation that if URI does not become Gonzaga he should be crucified. I liked that he used the Gonzaga reference. And people remember things like that. I would much rather he say things like that then nothing. It's a fine line, especially on this Message Board, between getting the fan base excited, to market the program, to drive ticket sales........................and then be held accountable for that you might have said to drive excitement.
Like I said, the Gonzaga issue isn't a big deal and doesn't matter.

Read my issue about him talking about a fast paced offense and give me an excuse for that.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:
josephski wrote:

Like I said, the Gonzaga issue isn't a big deal and doesn't matter.

Read my issue about him talking about a fast paced offense and give me an excuse for that.
I can't. I think this team should be running. I said in the PC Game thread that we went back to running down the shot clock and then struggling to get a shot off. A team with 3 Seniors and 2 Juniors with all 5 capable of handling the ball and all 5 very capable of running the floor should be running the floor. We need a fast paced game. And to show I am not just making this up now, I had the highest Points per Game predicted in the contest. Looked good the first few games but the slow down game is killing me now. Is it the Coach or is I the players or is it the opposing team/coach or is it a combination of all 3? Not sure but agree we are better when the game is fast paced.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, I agree with you 100% on a faster paced game....I still don't know why DH isn't having them push the ball...what the hell is he afraid of, a loss? His way right now isn't working. It's time to try something different.......
0 x