Jim Baron 2.0

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Jim Baron 2.0

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

► Show Spoiler

plain and simple, thats what Hurley is shaping up to be. has talented enough players and cant win when it matters. same ol sh*t of stagnant offense and cant close out a game to save their lives
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Jim Baron 2.0

Unread post by RF1 »

Jim Baron beat PC nearly every other year until the end of his tenure.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Either JB 2.0, or Brenden Malone 2.0.

Either way, we're fucked.....one of the worst bench coaches in the country is what we have.....the long wait for a new coach begins.....
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If he wants to go let him lol...

What's he, a game or two over .500???

Baron's 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 teams would CRUSH this team. Wouldn't even be close.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:Either JB 2.0, or Brenden Malone 2.0.

Either way, we're fucked.....one of the worst bench coaches in the country is what we have.....the long wait for a new coach begins.....

"One of"? Who's worse?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I miss beating pc
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote:Jim Baron beat PC nearly every other year until the end of his tenure.
Yup, for all his deficiencies, he ran PC out of Kingston like clockwork
1 x
---
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wonder if somewhere Gandy is thinking he might have been wrong about Baron.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

We weren't wrong about CFL.
He did beat PC and was undefeated at the Ryan Center.
Now we have to listen to PC people laughing at us,
What do you say? Wait until next year?
THIS was supposed to be next year.
Dan is under contract until 2021.
Meet the new CFL.
4 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It was meant as a joke.
Just to me there is a wide gap between Baron and Hurley. Sounds like some are now thinking Baron was better. Probably emotion after a tough loss.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Hurley is actually locked up through the 2021-22 season. URI graciously tacked on another year this past offseason.

If things don't turn around quickly that contract is going to be an albatross.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0518mb9jp4

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... /150409924
Last edited by STC 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

This is a ridiculous thread... Jeeze...
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agreed
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agreed
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:It was meant as a joke.
Just to me there is a wide gap between Baron and Hurley. Sounds like some are now thinking Baron was better. Probably emotion after a tough loss.
Wasn't implying Baron was better, he clearly wasn't.

However, Hurley is turning into a continuation of the Baron movie.

- Can't get it done in games that matter
- Can't get over the hump
- Tons of talent but still can implement and run an offensive gameplan. It's the same pass it around for 20 seconds then force a shot.

Btw, the non Preston classes...looking scary at the moment
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
---
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No it's not.....the only "positive" which isn't much imo, is that DH will consistently win 18-20 games a year, whereas JB had big peaks and valleys in the W-L record.....Dan is a better recruiter for sure....bench coach not so much...way too many things are similar between the two in that regard....like was said, even JB won more close games against good teams.....

Good point about Preston......that guy could recruit......wonder if he still wants to come back.....I don't care if he's inexperienced, he could bring solid assistants with him...plus he knew Harrick's offensive system.....which I would give my left nut to see implemented here......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote:I miss beating pc
What is "beating PC" even like?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I forgot.....wasn't this the year we were supposed to win, with more talent......

Well we have more talent in uniform anyway....on the coaching bench it's a mismatch.....
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Better at every position on both ends of the floor, and that amounts to just good enough to stay in games with good teams.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I know this may be unpopular, but could we ace this thread? Lots of emotions here tonight, but this clearly is an overreaction.

We lost to 2 good teams in hustle environments. The Valpo loss was on us, I think we were sleepwalking that game. PeeC was more about them hitting shots when it counted and we didn't. There was no question this game was going to come down to the wire and they earned the victory, it sucks, but we played with much more fire today. We are not a top 25 team, not yet, we saw that in the Brown game. We have every opportunity to become that team this year. We need a leader first and foremost, we need someone like T.J. Buch to emerge, a vocal/emotional boost. No one has taken that role yet. I think Dan should shake up the lineup, basketball IQ is an issue with KI, play Akele more. I think EC should be playing about 20 mins a game until his confidence comes back, and I disagree with some of you, he is a top notch scorer and will click at some point this season.

Please don't compare D Hurley to this Bafoon, the best thing CFL ever did was Jimmy... Boy he was fun to watch.

Let's let this play out before we start getting too crazy.

Go Rhody!!!
7 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

With the last 2 recruiting classes I'm not sure we will even be an 18-20 win team while Dan is here. I am not happy to hear we have him under contract for 4 more years. Whatever recruiting cred he had on the trail is now shot with the egg we are laying this season. I hope I eat my words and he rights the ship, but t things are not trending in the right direction.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What has EC done consistently to suggest he is a top notch scorer? He is certainly not an efficient scorer...he needs a ton of shots to get his points.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The thread seems to be a valid discussion re: the coach...not sure why anyone that wasn't getting paid by the school would want to ace it... If someone thinks a Red Auerbach 2.0 or John Wooden 2.0 thread is more appropriate, they should go ahead and start it.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Mongo wrote:I know this may be unpopular, but could we ace this thread? Lots of emotions here tonight, but this clearly is an overreaction.

We lost to 2 good teams in hustle environments. The Valpo loss was on us, I think we were sleepwalking that game. PeeC was more about them hitting shots when it counted and we didn't. There was no question this game was going to come down to the wire and they earned the victory, it sucks, but we played with much more fire today. We are not a top 25 team, not yet, we saw that in the Brown game. We have every opportunity to become that team this year. We need a leader first and foremost, we need someone like T.J. Buch to emerge, a vocal/emotional boost. No one has taken that role yet. I think Dan should shake up the lineup, basketball IQ is an issue with KI, play Akele more. I think EC should be playing about 20 mins a game until his confidence comes back, and I disagree with some of you, he is a top notch scorer and will click at some point this season.

Please don't compare D Hurley to this Bafoon, the best thing CFL ever did was Jimmy... Boy he was fun to watch.

Go Rhody!!!
The problem is its the same song in every game of importance. Put up a fight, but piss it away at the end.

We are Charlie Brown falling for the football trick
2 x
---
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And clutch is not EC's middle name and never has been even when he was healthy...but damn it, he usually is a better shooter than this.....

Hell, if he's even a shadow of the guy who played against PC 2 years ago, we win tonight.....

Comparisons to Jim Baron are totally justified....JB's teams lost their poise many times late in close games, and Hurley's are doing the same.....

What I would give to have a "closer" both on the floor and on the bench......
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

EC is not the only player not delivering to expectations this season.

I do not think that comparing Dan Hurley to Jim Baron are justified at all - no matter how many times it is said. Apples to Oranges and always will be in my opinion.

A ridiculous title for a thread in my opinion.
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Mongo wrote:I know this may be unpopular, but could we ace this thread? Lots of emotions here tonight, but this clearly is an overreaction.

Go Rhody!!!
and I think Dan should maybe learn to how to coach...
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

[quote="NYGFan_Section208"]The thread seems to be a valid discussion re: the coach...not sure why anyone that wasn't getting paid by the school would want to ace it... If someone thinks a Red Auerbach 2.0 or John Wooden 2.0 thread is more appropriate, they should go ahead and start it

Told myself I wouldn't read the board tonight. Going to stiffle myself, just hope this team makes you guys eat your words.

Going to the Houston game, I'll be the loud one in Sec 108....
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

ramster wrote:EC is not the only player not delivering to expectations this season.

I do not think that comparing Dan Hurley to Jim Baron are justified at all - no matter how many times it is said. Apples to Oranges and always will be in my opinion.

A ridiculous title for a thread in my opinion.

Agreed, can we at least change the thread name? Makes me sick.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I'm flying out for the Lasalle game on Jan 12, if we go 6-1 between now and then, are any of you haters willing to buy me a few drinks? We'll be 11-4 and a happy group. Any takers?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Mongo wrote:I'm flying out for the Lasalle game on Jan 12, if we go 6-1 between now and then, are any of you haters willing to buy me a few drinks? We'll be 11-4 and a happy group. Any takers?
Dude, I am not a hater (have too much inve$ted for that)...if they are 11-4 and you are anywhere NEAR this area...not only will I buy you drinks...you can stay at my house and I will buy you a ticket to the UMass game and give you a ride up there. ;)
1 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

STC wrote:Hurley is actually locked up through the 2021-22 season. URI graciously tacked on another year this past offseason.

If things don't turn around quickly that contract is going to be an albatross.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0518mb9jp4

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... /150409924
When has URI ever done the right thing with BB contracts?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm not giving up that Hurley is the right CEO for the program, but he needs someone on the bench with him that is a tactician. It's ok if your coach isn't a savant with the clipboard, as long as the coach can recognize his strengths and weaknesses and has someone there to do that part of it. Hurley probably isn't going anywhere and that is probably good for the program but there needs to be a shakeup on the staff and a change in approach to the basketball side of it. Everything is there except a clue how to deploy what you've amassed, and that's frustrating as hell.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:I miss beating pc
What is "beating PC" even like?
Well, Justin Bieber was a baby...lol
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The difference I find between CFL and DH is that DH is a likeable guy and I tend to root for us harder
With CFL I couldn't stand the guy came across as inlikeable I really didn't care as much if we won or lost
I agree on their coaching it's pretty much a wash
2 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Mongo wrote:I'm flying out for the Lasalle game on Jan 12, if we go 6-1 between now and then, are any of you haters willing to buy me a few drinks? We'll be 11-4 and a happy group. Any takers?
Dude, I am not a hater (have too much inve$ted for that)...if they are 11-4 and you are anywhere NEAR this area...not only will I buy you drinks...you can stay at my house and I will buy you a ticket to the UMass game and give you a ride up there. ;)

I'll take you up on the drinks. If we are 12-3 can I get a bowl of Chowder? Ha ha.
0 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

I think you should have to stay at his house
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Not 100% sold on Dan being that much better a recruiter than CFL.
The first two recruiting classes were a wonderful start.
After Preston left, the next two seem to be mediocre at best.'
Daniels, Helenga, Robinson, Cothran, Jimmy, Delroy,
Seawright, Ulmer, and Parfait,all pretty good CFL players.
Where CFL failed was, center and point guard.
Things really deteriorated rapidly in his last couple of years.
My question is, will Dan ever be able to recruit on the level of his first two seasons?
The,"If he wins, it will take care of itself",theory, seems to be in jeopardy.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Yeah, they lost to 2 good teams, but you know what? When you're supposed to be as good as people think we are, you beat good teams. You don't go drop a 25pt half to blow the game.

Btw, that was the issue with Baron. He has good teams but could never beat good teams. The word for that isn't good, it's mediocre.

This team reminds me of the Peyton Manning led Colts teams. Tons of talent, but they needed everything to go as planned to win a game. If there is anything that disrupts the game plan they panic and can't adapt on the fly.

It's the Tyson quote "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"
2 x
---
---
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

TruePoint wrote:I'm not giving up that Hurley is the right CEO for the program, but he needs someone on the bench with him that is a tactician. It's ok if your coach isn't a savant with the clipboard, as long as the coach can recognize his strengths and weaknesses and has someone there to do that part of it. Hurley probably isn't going anywhere and that is probably good for the program but there needs to be a shakeup on the staff and a change in approach to the basketball side of it. Everything is there except a clue how to deploy what you've amassed, and that's frustrating as hell.

Yes, agreed......however I think Dan has some of that approach to the game itself that he knows more than most people about the game itself, and there probably would be uncomfortable bringing on such a staff shakeup......I also think this is the root of the stubbornness we see......example line up changes..... it appears he is stuck with thinking I know more about this(game, strategy, game plans, X/Os, practice preparation etc) and it is the right way and therefore will be successful.....maybe it is part being Hurley.....his way or the highway......we are on the highway to????
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If DH doesn't admit or think there's a problem with his coaching, and do something about it, then nothing will change.....

Baron was as stubborn as a mule....his assistants didn't or weren't allowed to have much game input......is Dan the same?

Dan gets too worked up over the refs and it hurts us in key spots...he's too focused on that instead of what he should be doing.....and yes Baron was the same way....
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......failure to adapt to the changing environment can be the failure of any organization.....no?
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Dan can't or won't admit his weaknesses, because his father is a HOF coach and his brother one of the greatest college players of all time. This is supposed to be his thing...

I think he has done a lot off good things for the programs infrastructure, but he can't coach his way out of a paper bag at this point.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All these things that we've been discussing about what should be done........and nothing gets done....Dan is a control freak like JB was, and he can't see the forest for the trees....

We keep scoring 60 points against good teams, we will lose 80% of those games...and it will happen in conference too.....the way we're playing, 13-5 or 14-4 is a pipe dream...bad A10 or not....these other coaches know Dan really well by now....let's see...Martelli, Kellogg, and on and on....

Too many people think we're going to blow thru our conference.......bullshit.....the warning signs are flashing big time......
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

When you destroy bad teams and consistently lose to top 100 teams it has to be the coach. Dan was in the right place at the right time with that Wagner team...it made him a millionaire. I get the feeling he would still be there if we hadn't scooped him up, as he would have been exposed in future seasons.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I had to manually put this together going over the URI record book. Go easy on me if I made any errors.

Dan Hurley URI Record vs Better teams

TEAM | W - L | %
Ohio State | 0 - 1 | 0.000
Va Tech | 0 - 1 | 0.000
Seton Hall | 0 - 1 | 0.000
Providence | 0 - 5 | 0.000
St Mary's | 0 - 1 | 0.000
Arizona | 0 - 1 | 0.000
ODU | 0 - 1 | 0.000
Valpo | 0 - 2 | 0.000
Kansas | 0 - 1 | 0.000
Duke | 0 - 1 | 0.000
Ga Tech | 0 - 1 | 0.000
Maryland | 0 - 1 | 0.000
VCU | 0 - 4 | 0.000
Davidson | 0 - 2 | 0.000
Temple | 0 - 1 | 0.000
Butler | 0 - 1 | 0.000
Xavier | 0 - 1 | 0.000
St Joe's | 1 - 6 | 0.143
Umass | 2 - 8 | 0.200
GW | 2 - 3 | 0.400
Dayton | 3 - 4 | 0.429
SMU | 1 - 1 | 0.500
Southern Miss | 1 - 1 | 0.500
Nebraska | 1 - 1 | 0.500
SBU | 2 - 2 | 0.500
St Louis | 4 - 1 | 0.800
Auburn | 1 - 0 | 1.000
Cincinnati | 1 - 0 | 1.000
Santa Clara | 1 - 0 | 1.000
TCU | 1 - 0 | 1.000
Houston | 1 - 0 | 1.000
LSU | 1 - 0 | 1.000
Record | 23 - 53 | 0.303

Vs teams not above | 44 - 14 | 0.759
All-time @ URI | 67 - 67 | 0.500
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dan certainly had a tough first two years having to rebuild the mess that Jim Baron had left behind. The last three years however were with his teams, all of which supposedly had good talent. That is not unlike Baron's tenure as he had to start off with the Jerry D train wreck. Baron's overall record at URI was 184-166 in eleven seasons. The knock on Jim Baron was that he was basically a mediocre .500 coach that couldn't win the big games. His teams played people close but he never seemed to be able to beat the better teams and get the program over the hump. Many thought the pressure situation of big games got to Baron and the players under him. Dan Hurley is only early into his fifth season at URI. His record to date however is eerily similar to that of his predecessor. While he still has time to turn things around, it is alarming that he and his teams have thus far exhibited many of the same traits of the Baron era.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

rhodyrudder wrote: (6 months ago)
Got my research from some site called teamrankings.
1st comes rhody's year-end rpi.
Then records vs top 50, top 100, 2nd 100, 3rd 100, 301 +, and non D-I.

2013 URI=202 1-6 1-14 2-6 5-1 --- ---
2014 URI=157 1-13 4-14 1-2 5-2 3-0 1-0
2015 URI=61 0-7 5-8 5-2 12-0 --- 1-0
2016 URI=122 1-9 3-10 5-5 8-0 1-0 ---

Totals: top 50: 3-35 (2-29 over the last 3 seasons)
Top 100: 13-46 (22%)
151 +: 41-12
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

The #'s above and by RF1 do not lie. I like Danny and still have faith we will be much happier in February. I have to keep reminding myself it is only the first few days of December and there is plenty of basketball to play. At this point, it's very difficult to be overly optimistic . A very difficult 2 losses this week. No denying the fact that these losses wreak of what we have seen the last many years. Dan is not above criticism, unlike many here seem to think. He is not Coach K. He is not Dean Smith. He is not John Wooden. Let's be honest, with those numbers, if not for his last name, which had been mentioned before do you really believe he wouldn't be on the hot seat big time. Mind you, college sports is about winning period. And we haven't won in a long time, it is very frustrating. Criticism is part of coaching. When things go good, you get more than you share of benefits. When things go bad, you have to be able to stand the criticism. Some of of it may not be warranted, but at this point, there is certainly areas that Dan should be criticized. If you say something negative, it doesn't mean you hate the guy or hate the player. Dan is getting paid a lot of money for an NIT team. He simply doesn't have the results yet, that is not arguable. He is yet to make the tournament and time after time his teams cannot close out a game or beat a good opponent. I am glad Dan is here, and I do believe he will eventually get the job done, but I also have my reservations. We are always worried about him taking off, but for these teams that have made inquiries about him, its certainly not because he has succeeded at the level of Shaka, Archie Miller or even Mark Schmidt at this point. So, while I'll be patient, how long does this go on before I see the improvement that I expect? I was told repeatedly about JB and how I should be patient and things could be worse. All true,but they also could be better and that is the case now as well. I know I'm not getting any younger. There is one thing viewing the glass as half full or half empty, but has Rod says at times, there are too many people here that are satisfied we are not Duquesne. We played tough opponents. We hung in there. That was a tough opponent on the road. The refs screwed us...etc. It's very tiring after such a long time of the same thing. I'm old enough to have seen this team win on the big stage, and I want to see that again and soon.

I will stay optimistic at this point. I will have faith in Danny, but it's beyond frustrating at this point. I am certainly one that bought into the hype, especially after beating Cincy, but now I am discouraged. I still am hopeful but also leery about this season. I am not sure how you can't have some reservations at this point.

Went to my first URI and PC game at the Dump in years. I have many friends who are PC backers that I get along with fine, but they certainly have their annoying, uninformed fan base that can really piss you off. I sat in one of those sections yesterday. Many of their fans are definitely laughing big time at us. And there are many that certainly look down at all URI people and that is also very frustrating when its been so long you can't remember beating them. Listening to many of them, if you closed your eyes, you would think you were listening to a Duke fan.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If people think Hurley's Rams are going to blitz through the A-10 schedule, think again based on past history. His teams record vs the top half of the conference is pretty dismal . We will play these teams a total of ten games this season.

VCU | 0 - 4 | 0.000
Davidson | 0 - 2 | 0.000
St Joe's | 1 - 6 | 0.143
Umass | 2 - 8 | 0.200
GW | 2 - 3 | 0.400
Dayton | 3 - 4 | 0.429
TOTAL | 8 - 27 | 0.229
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x