The Dream is dead. Long live the dream.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Re: The Dream is dead. Long live the dream.

Unread post by josephski »

Agree about EC. I've always said he's strictly a scorer on offense. Same as what was said last year, he's not Kris Dunn where he'll make the rest of the guys on his team better. He's not a great passer, doesn't have great vision of the floor and isn't a very good ball handler.

With that said, 77 points with EC's performance against Houston should have been enough to win that game. Not only was the defense bad but in a way it was Hurley's style defense that led to the loss. Hurley's defense has always led to us committing a lot of fouls but usually it's not that big of a deal because we still hold our opponents to a low fg percentage. Against Houston we weren't able to hold them to a low fg percentage and we put them on the line 31 times where they made 26.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, this is the bottom line.....we aren't that good.......whether it's a lack of talent in certain areas or we don't have a big time coach....it is what it is.......and it doesn't look like it's going to get much better for while......

Hell, to me next year looks worse.......unless Fatts turns out to be the "go to" guy this program hasn't had in forever......might not even matter anyway.....

And where are the bigs coming from? Cyril looks good...anybody else?

URI coach and team.....O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Bone, we get it. Once a day is enough to keep it entrenched in our heads.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:Agree about EC. I've always said he's strictly a scorer on offense. Same as what was said last year, he's not Kris Dunn where he'll make the rest of the guys on his team better. He's not a great passer, doesn't have great vision of the floor and isn't a very good ball handler.

With that said, 77 points with EC's performance against Houston should have been enough to win that game. Not only was the defense bad but in a way it was Hurley's style defense that led to the loss. Hurley's defense has always led to us committing a lot of fouls but usually it's not that big of a deal because we still hold our opponents to a low fg percentage. Against Houston we weren't able to hold them to a low fg percentage and we put them on the line 31 times where they made 26.
Only 3 steals - not what we usually get. One recent game Robinson had 5 all by himself. The defense was just not there the way it has been some games. Once again, much like Cartwright with PC, Peters with Valparaiso, goes go off on us red hot, except this game it was TWO guys that we couldn't cool off or stop.
We got the running game everyone has been clamoring for instead of the slow down, deliberate game too but that didn't change the outcome.
At one point, it was interesting, the announcers said instead of the Houston - Rhode Island Basketball Game this should be called The EC Mathews Show - not making that up. He was on fire, you have to admit. Is it sustainable?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hopefully this game v Houston gets EC on a huge roll, be nice if he can string a few 20 point games together
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote:With a caveat...14-4 or 13-5 has to include wins against the top teams......no wins against Dayton, VCU, and maybe Davidson means no Dance.....

Actually I don't know what I'm saying...what have we done to think we will win those games? Silly me........
Hmmm idk let me see - Dayton, Davidson, VCU at home.

Won at Dayton last year with a depleted roster against a better Dayton team. Beat a legit top 25 team already this year.

Yeah no clue what would ever give you that idea besides an even-keeled thought process?
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:With a caveat...14-4 or 13-5 has to include wins against the top teams......no wins against Dayton, VCU, and maybe Davidson means no Dance.....

Actually I don't know what I'm saying...what have we done to think we will win those games? Silly me........
Hmmm idk let me see - Dayton, Davidson, VCU at home.

Won at Dayton last year with a depleted roster against a better Dayton team. Beat a legit top 25 team already this year.

Yeah no clue what would ever give you that idea besides an even-keeled thought process?
You keep on trying to put your finger in the dam in all of these threads. Yes, you can point to one or two points in five years where they won a nice game. Do you disagree that coaching in close games is a problem? Also...let's pump the brakes on Cincy until they get into conference games. They have played three decent teams, lost two, and won by one in OT. The rest are tomato cans.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:Also...let's pump the brakes on Cincy until they get into conference games. They have played three decent teams, lost two, and won by one in OT. The rest are tomato cans.
This is what is frustrating about saying stuff like this though...anytime we have any type of "good" win there are always comments like this to diminish it in some way. And I am not speaking about you specifically, just in general on this board. But then can't the same be said about the losses to then? Should we pump the brakes on saying the PC, Houston and Valpo losses are bad? We haven't seen them play in conference either. What if they all go undefeated?
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GBG, I used to be a little skeptical about your opinions about the coaching....not any more......Dan's had more than enough time to learn and grow as a coach......not seeing it or feeling it.....

Adam, I understand what you're saying....but do you really think they will? They play down to their opponents, especially on the road...and the jury is still out on just how talented we really are.....constantly losing close games are the fault of both the coach AND his players.....how much fault lies with each is the question....

I tend to think it's more on Dan...but others might think otherwise?

The bottom line is, they are losing WAY too many 50-50 games....and that sucks.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:GBG, I used to be a little skeptical about your opinions about the coaching....not any more......Dan's had more than enough time to learn and grow as a coach......not seeing it or feeling it.....

Adam, I understand what you're saying....but do you really think they will? They play down to their opponents, especially on the road...and the jury is still out on just how talented we really are.....constantly losing close games are the fault of both the coach AND his players.....how much fault lies with each is the question....

I tend to think it's more on Dan...but others might think otherwise?
I wasnt talking about us going undefeated. I was talking about Valpo, PC and Houston. And no I dont think either us or them will do it, I am just wondering why when it is a team we beat everyone cautions "they might not even be that good" but when it is someone we lost to it is "they arent even that good we should have won easily". Why do we only have to pump the brakes and wait to see how the team we beat is in conference and not pump the brakes and wait and see how the team we lost to does in conference?
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:Also...let's pump the brakes on Cincy until they get into conference games. They have played three decent teams, lost two, and won by one in OT. The rest are tomato cans.
This is what is frustrating about saying stuff like this though...anytime we have any type of "good" win there are always comments like this to diminish it in some way. And I am not speaking about you specifically, just in general on this board. But then can't the same be said about the losses to then? Should we pump the brakes on saying the PC, Houston and Valpo losses are bad? We haven't seen them play in conference either. What if they all go undefeated?
Yes...they are not bad losses at all. If URI could scrape together 6-8 good wins the rest of the season. The issue is they needed those wins because the A10 stinks this year. As far as Cincy, they are probably good. But, too many people are holding it up as this holy grail win that will carry the day in a bubble situation. It's a top 20-40 win. On a neutral court. Nice. The issue is you need 5,6,7+ of those.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We don't have to win every 50-50 game against good teams.....but win a couple here and there......and we don't.....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Yes...they are not bad losses at all. If URI could scrape together 6-8 good wins the rest of the season. The issue is they needed those wins because the A10 stinks this year. As far as Cincy, they are probably good. But, too many people are holding it up as this holy grail win that will carry the day in a bubble situation. It's a top 20-40 win. On a neutral court. Nice. The issue is you need 5,6,7+ of those.
If you need 7 top 40 neutral or road wins to get an at-large then you wouldn't have enough teams to fill the bracket. People talk on here like they majored in at-large bids. The fact is that if all of the computers like you as a top-30ish team and you don't have MAJOR holes in your resume then you'll be in. People point to Bonnies last year as a reason to be worried; if Bonnies had a top-25 win on a neutral court in OOC they'd have been in. Bonnie's had a major hole on their resume: they didn't beat anyone (and hardly played anyone) in OOC.

I'm not here arguing that URI has done a great job and they're fine without those wins. That's clearly not true for a couple of reasons: first, they blew chances to solidify their resume and they have significantly narrowed their margin for error; and second, they have done basically nothing to show that they even capable of winning 14 A10 games plus another 1 or 2 A10T games. So I'm not telling you Rhody is sitting pretty and a lock. I'm just saying that your way of looking at it is wrong and you're overstating the challenge in front of us (which is significant to be sure but not as significant as you make it out to be).

I don't know if you're fishing for street cred in the same waters as josephski but you guys need to give a rest with the know-it-all doomer stuff. Just run of the mill doomers are hard enough to take.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, results are what we see....start playing and coaching better in close games....win some of them, and your worries about us doomers will go away....hope for that if you will....

Sorry to say, but if things don't change your hero will be out of a job at some point......believe me...the Fire Hurley thread will be a reality by next season otherwise....and a bunch of us will lead the charge.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bone, what specifically in my post do you disagree with?
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm starting to think that rambone doesn't think we can win close games and that Hurley isn't a very good coach. I can't say for sure, but another 1000 posts saying the exact same thing might drive the point home.
8 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:
If you need 7 top 40 neutral or road wins to get an at-large then you wouldn't have enough teams to fill the bracket. People talk on here like they majored in at-large bids. The fact is that if all of the computers like you as a top-30ish team and you don't have MAJOR holes in your resume then you'll be in. People point to Bonnies last year as a reason to be worried; if Bonnies had a top-25 win on a neutral court in OOC they'd have been in. Bonnie's had a major hole on their resume: they didn't beat anyone (and hardly played anyone) in OOC.

I'm not here arguing that URI has done a great job and they're fine without those wins. That's clearly not true for a couple of reasons: first, they blew chances to solidify their resume and they have significantly narrowed their margin for error; and second, they have done basically nothing to show that they even capable of winning 14 A10 games plus another 1 or 2 A10T games. So I'm not telling you Rhody is sitting pretty and a lock. I'm just saying that your way of looking at it is wrong and you're overstating the challenge in front of us (which is significant to be sure but not as significant as you make it out to be).

I don't know if you're fishing for street cred in the same waters as josephski but you guys need to give a rest with the know-it-all doomer stuff. Just run of the mill doomers are hard enough to take.
Top 40 road wins are great wins. No one is looking for seven of those. But, you do need 6-8 decent wins. We all know what those look like. They probably have 6-8 left on the schedule (barely). I am not saying they are cooked. I am just saying that the path is pretty narrow.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:

I'm not sure why you're bringing me up. I've said multiple times we most likely need 2 more top 50 wins to make the tournament and that I think we can make the tournament going 13-5 if we get those 2 wins. I'm not sure how that qualifies as doom and gloom. We might be able to make it with 1 more top 50 win, but we certainly won't make the tournament with Cincy being our only top 50 win.

Look back at a10 at large bids. It's not all that hard to get an idea of what we'll need to get an at large. Highest a10 rpi's to make the tournament over the last 5 years have been 40 twice and 42. Two of those teams had 4 top 50 wins and the other, LaSalle, only had 2 top 50 wins but that was a year 5 a10 teams made the tournament. Right now our projected RPI is 37.5 so please let me know where I'm wrong with what wins we need to get in.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It's the relentlessly negative tone of the posts. I admit to not cataloging the specific takes of every person posting here. I do apologize if you think I've mischaracterized your views; I will just accept I was wrong about them rather than argue about it, but my impression was you had made the argument several times that the season was essentially over.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP and Adam, yes us doomers like to repeat ourselves.......that's a flaw for sure......

I think we are all going around in circles right now.....just frustration I guess......

Always coming close...but hardly ever getting the brass ring gets to be very wearing......
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I try not to repeat myself here, but I will knowingly do so here:

Bone, what specifically in my post do you disagree with?

I honestly don't want to see any more of your stream of consciousness posts until you answer the question.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Am I not allowed to post if they don't meet your approval?

Telling people they are wrong was something you did a lot of last year, you've been fine this season but now it looks like you're getting back on track if you know what I mean.....

My biggest gripe with this whole deal is that this team and coach show no signs of improvement imo. If they did, there would be hope.

It's the same song, new verse game after game.....and now we're in year 5......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I didn't say you weren't allowed to post, I said I don't want to see it. Why can't you just explain what I said in my post that you disagree with? You make it seem like I am attacking you; all I'm actually trying to do is get you to realize we actually largely agree and you're arguing with me for no reason.

If you were just willing to participate in a normal conversation by being responsive to questions and prompts from the other people you are conversing with it would be a lot easier for you and everyone else.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

OK TP, the tone of part of that post was too reminiscent of last year's issues some posters had with you...yes I agree with you for the most part about things....I know that's breaking new ground for us.....and I don't need any lectures...let's move on shall we?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:It's the relentlessly negative tone of the posts. I admit to not cataloging the specific takes of every person posting here. I do apologize if you think I've mischaracterized your views; I will just accept I was wrong about them rather than argue about it, but my impression was you had made the argument several times that the season was essentially over.
Yes my posts have had a negative tone to them, if you go back to the 14-15 season I'm sure you'll see all my posts had a positive tone. I can see how my posts might make people think that I'm implying the season's over but even prior to the Houston game I said that game was not make or break for our season and that we could still make the tournament with a loss to Houston.

I also don't mind if I'm wrong or people disagree with me but at least give me reasons why you disagree. In most of my posts I try to provide some sort of stats or reasoning as to why I came to my opinion and try not to just say things with no real logic behind them. This is a discussion board so if everyone has the same opinion then there's really not much to discuss.

At this point I'm having a hard time seeing many positives to talk about other than the fact we beat Cincy, we still have a shot at an at large bid, and Hassan is having a monster season. The negatives far outweigh the positives right now in my opinion. Hassan is injured, the a10 sucks this year, we put a lot of pressure on ourselves going into conference play, coaching has been questionable, our teams overall skill has been questionable and we're still seeing some of the same issues that have plagued us in the past (fouling a ton, poor end of game execution, lack of a bench).

Either way, I am trying to tone down my negativity because at this point there's not much we can do. Hurley is under contract for another 5 seasons and what's done is done in terms of games played so far this year. Obviously this season hasn't started how most expected (only 9 out of 71 predicted 4 OOC losses) but we still control our own destiny in terms of getting an at large.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm not trying to be the negativity police. Hell, I started this thread and called it "The Dream is Dead..." so I'm not exactly leading the sunshine band.

My frustration is with what I perceive as the know-it-all attitude of some posters with respect to at-large criteria who are making it seem like you need a 4 seed's resume in order to get off the bubble. And that's what you would have had if you had beat Valpo and Providence and split with Dayton with the win on the road with a 14-4 conf record, as some people here seem to suggest we would have needed to do to get into the tournament with the way they talk about it.

Again, I'm not coming even close to predicting a 14-4 conference record but I think people who insist that a 16-4 finish from here would leave us out of the field don't know as much as they think they do.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TP I agree it's early on the left out of the field discussion. Hell, I'm the biggest must win fan, and we did win a must win. But is it enough is the big question. Guess it depends on how Cinci does going forward. So we've put our fate in the hands of another team, rather than take fate by the balls and cement our own fate. This is a big stretch coming up for Dan. He has his team, with depth, we've been told. One player down should not derail success. I haven't seen this team play like a top 25 team yet, so I question the preseason ranking. It feels like these guys haven't played together, ever. Have we even seen an alley oop this year? No swagger, no confidence and it appears quite often no chemistry. It's going to be interesting but I'm leery this team can turn it on a dime. Hope they do so I can fly to the NCAAT.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:I'm starting to think that rambone doesn't think we can win close games and that Hurley isn't a very good coach. I can't say for sure, but another 1000 posts saying the exact same thing might drive the point home.
So what you are saying Adam is that the point might be driven home by Saturday :lol: :lol: :lol:
3 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

If we get Hass back I think we could go 14-4 in conference giving us an RPI under 30. Then the fun starts need 1 in the a10 tourney to be on right side bubble or get to a10 champship game to be a lock. Dan went 13-5 in 2014-15 so in an off year for a10 it's very doable. I personally think we have Top 25 talent and a below average coach that with a little effort should be able to coach like an average coach the rest the season. That should put THE URI RAMS in he DANCE! I for one will be rooting for Mr Hurley.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

theblueram wrote:TP I agree it's early on the left out of the field discussion. Hell, I'm the biggest must win fan, and we did win a must win. But is it enough is the big question. Guess it depends on how Cinci does going forward. So we've put our fate in the hands of another team, rather than take fate by the balls and cement our own fate. This is a big stretch coming up for Dan. He has his team, with depth, we've been told. One player down should not derail success. I haven't seen this team play like a top 25 team yet, so I question the preseason ranking. It feels like these guys haven't played together, ever. Have we even seen an alley oop this year? No swagger, no confidence and it appears quite often no chemistry. It's going to be interesting but I'm leery this team can turn it on a dime. Hope they do so I can fly to the NCAAT.
EC finished an alley-oop from Garret I think in the Dartmouth game? But your target point has been my exact thoughts. I don't think its a lack of skill, I think its a big lack of chemistry making things difficult. No one knows what to do with their new roles, especially EC seemingly taking the shoot first mentality from Jared and Jarvis that they got used to (and started to thrive in) last year. I am holding out hope that as the season progresses they learn to feed off of each other and flow, but I think that void is killing them against better opponents right now.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote:I'm not trying to be the negativity police. Hell, I started this thread and called it "The Dream is Dead..." so I'm not exactly leading the sunshine band.

My frustration is with what I perceive as the know-it-all attitude of some posters with respect to at-large criteria who are making it seem like you need a 4 seed's resume in order to get off the bubble. And that's what you would have had if you had beat Valpo and Providence and split with Dayton with the win on the road with a 14-4 conf record, as some people here seem to suggest we would have needed to do to get into the tournament with the way they talk about it.

Again, I'm not coming even close to predicting a 14-4 conference record but I think people who insist that a 16-4 finish from here would leave us out of the field don't know as much as they think they do.
I was almost leader of the sunshine band last year (annoyed a lot of people, but, sadly that's part of my nature) ...based on 2014-15, where I still think they were an A10T win away from in... then, well, last year happened...they lost just about every close game ... and you didn't need other posters to detail it. So, you figure, this year...new year, the D+G-ers can't be right again, can they? I don't want to say, it kinda looks that way so far...but can't yet say it doesn't not look that way either.....

14-4 in conference 'seems' like it should be doable, but would really like to see them with a lead in close game late...that they win. At some point, win a close game where it looks like they've turned the corner, and I'll be one of the front-runningest frontrunners here.

Question...how do I get courtside seats? They're never shown as available online, but they usually aren't all filled either....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Courtside seats?
Probably bought by some rich swells, who
spend winters in Florida.
Call the box office at the Ryan Center and ask.
Couldn t hurt, right?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Ok, that's fair. We agree then that they aren't bad losses. Missed opportunities though for sure.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:I'm not trying to be the negativity police. Hell, I started this thread and called it "The Dream is Dead..." so I'm not exactly leading the sunshine band.

So, you respond with disdain for know it alls but then act like a know it all? These are all opinions. No, beating Valpo and PC and going 14-4 in the conference is not a four seed resume. Just last year, Dayton went 14-4 in a much tougher A10 and had a much better OOC showing than beating Valpo/PC would have been. And they still only got a #6 seed. They beat six teams in the kenpom top 100 in the OOC, two were neutral and one was on the road. They had five more top 100 wins in the conference. There are only six more top 100 games for URI and just two on the road. There is zero chance that URI would be a #4 seed at 14-4 with wins over Valp/PC. You are ignoring history, facts, and context. Would I say they are dead with a 14-4 record? No...because the bubble is a moving target every year. I just wouldn't feel very good about things sitting at 14-4 with a semifinal loss in the A10T. They just wouldn't have what the committee values. Who did you beat? Where did you beat them?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I mean, you're just wrong about everything you're saying. So I guess that's the difference between what you're saying and what I'm saying and why I have a problem with what you're saying.

The reason your Dayton example is bad is because it doesn't account for the fact that they fell apart down the stretch and lost 4 of their last 8 games to close out the year. If they didn't look like the wheels were falling off they would have had a better seed.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:I mean, you're just wrong about everything you're saying. So I guess that's the difference between what you're saying and what I'm saying and why I have a problem with what you're saying.

The reason your Dayton example is bad is because it doesn't account for the fact that they fell apart down the stretch and lost 4 of their last 8 games to close out the year. If they didn't look like the wheels were falling off they would have had a better seed.
Right. If they didn't lose four out of eight, they would have been 17-1 and then they would have been a four seed. They lose three (of their last 15, by the way) regular season games. All to top 100 teams. All by single digits. If you think that is wheels coming off, I don't know what to say. Stop digging a hole. You are just plain wrong. They were 14-4 with a much better resume than URI would have had (can you even argue that? I guess you can) at 14-4 and were a #6 seed. You just keep ignoring the fact that the A10 stinks this year.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I would be happy to debate Dayton's seeding vs their record and computer numbers with you ad nauseum (I'm sure everyone would love to read that), but it's also not particularly relevant to the actual topic of conversation here.

I will give you very favorable odds that if URI closes out the year 16-4 and wins an A10T game they will be in. Matter of fact, I'd also take a bet with you that if they finish 15-5 with a win in the A10T if you give me favorable odds. I don't think you're totally off base, I think you are wrong by a matter of degree; but, I think you are wrong enough and overstating (and damn near mythologizing) the criteria of the selection committee when it comes to pickiness about the resume like they are the admissions committee at Yale. They have to find about 40 at-large teams to fill the field. They aren't just going to go with 55 teams this year because nobody but the best 30 at-large teams won enough road OOC games.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Something just seems wrong about taking the other side of the bet after waiting this long. Yeah...we disagree on degree and I think the 14-4 is sort of the 50/50 line. It wouldn't surprise me if they made it just that I think that no one will sleep well that Saturday night. The missing variables are what does the bubble look like, are their conference tourney bid thieves?, etc. The '14-'15 team had three OOC losses (all top 100) and went 13-5 in the A10 (in a year the A10 was better than this year), made the tourney semis, and didn't make it. So, 8 total losses, A10 semis, and no bid from a better conference. I get the differences between the years. There wasn't a Cincy win on that resume. But, it's close enough.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It seems like we still disagree but maybe narrowed the scope of the disagreement. I'll consider that progress and consider our discussion fruitful. Tis the season.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:I would be happy to debate Dayton's seeding vs their record and computer numbers with you ad nauseum (I'm sure everyone would love to read that), but it's also not particularly relevant to the actual topic of conversation here.

I will give you very favorable odds that if URI closes out the year 16-4 and wins an A10T game they will be in. Matter of fact, I'd also take a bet with you that if they finish 15-5 with a win in the A10T if you give me favorable odds. I don't think you're totally off base, I think you are wrong by a matter of degree; but, I think you are wrong enough and overstating (and damn near mythologizing) the criteria of the selection committee when it comes to pickiness about the resume like they are the admissions committee at Yale. They have to find about 40 at-large teams to fill the field. They aren't just going to go with 55 teams this year because nobody but the best 30 at-large teams won enough road OOC games.
Do you think 14-4 will get us in regardless of who the losses are to? Or do you think if we go 14-4 it's safe to assume we had a few good wins that helped us get in?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote:Something just seems wrong about taking the other side of the bet after waiting this long. Yeah...we disagree on degree and I think the 14-4 is sort of the 50/50 line. It wouldn't surprise me if they made it just that I think that no one will sleep well that Saturday night. The missing variables are what does the bubble look like, are their conference tourney bid thieves?, etc. The '14-'15 team had three OOC losses (all top 100) and went 13-5 in the A10 (in a year the A10 was better than this year), made the tourney semis, and didn't make it. So, 8 total losses, A10 semis, and no bid from a better conference. I get the differences between the years. There wasn't a Cincy win on that resume. But, it's close enough.
Gbg,
When you say 13-5 are you including tournament wins and losses? It's only the last 2 years that the league went to 18 games up from 16.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think we need to see a few more weeks worth of games before these scenarios even become relevant......

If we continue to piss down our leg, it won't matter....believe me I hope we're in a position by sometime in February to discuss what it will take to get in....
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Personally, I'm not holding out any hope of the team making the tournament this year. They might make it. They might not. It feels like the same old story, year after year...high hopes heading into a season; team hits a little adversity and gets exposed after failing to improve on the same old issues; we hold out hope; our hopes are crushed; team falls flat on it's face down the stretch and we're left wondering about what could have been.
I want the team to succeed in reaching the NCAA Tournament, but I'm not so sure that they will.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Watch out Dude, you're gonna be accused of being less of a fan than others, those same people will accuse you of giving up on the team after only 10 games and continually deny there is anything to justify your feelings.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dude is welcome to join our "club"...it's growing by the day.......of course some people will get their hopes up again after we win the next 3 games....now matter how ugly those wins might be......

These kids are being put under tremendous pressure by the coaching staff.....and they are not reacting well to it......
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote: These kids are being put under tremendous pressure by the coaching staff.....and they are not reacting well to it......
Can you explain what you mean by this? What specifically is being done to put them under tremendous pressure above and beyond any normal D1 college basketball athlete?
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

adam914 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote: These kids are being put under tremendous pressure by the coaching staff.....and they are not reacting well to it......
Can you explain what you mean by this? What specifically is being done to put them under tremendous pressure above and beyond any normal D1 college basketball athlete?
......yeah Bone, just wondering the same thing......think the coaches are often reminding the players of the early expectations, and reminders of playing with a target on their backs.......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Nothing concrete here, but the eye test.
Last night WPRI showed a Cooley interview, with
players practicing.
Smiles, and a relaxed atmosphere.
Interview with Hurley, again showing players' practicing.
No smiles, all business.
Maybe not significant, but maybe it is?
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Friars enter the year with virtually no expectations, playing with house money.

Rams enter season knowing this is supposed to be "the year".

How can you compare the two?

Also, you know that Hurley's got every minute of that practice scripted and makes the most of his limited time with the team. But you can't take a video clip from one team and compare to another and draw any conclusions.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So a team coming off wins is happy and a team coming off of losses isn't? Insert shocked face here. And I'm willing to bet a large part of this forum would be KILLING the team if they were smiling. "What do they have to be smiling about? Don't they know they have almost no chance of going to the tournament? They're ruining my winter!"

By the way, none of this even touches on the fact that none of us were present at practice and therefore are at the mercy of a 15 second video clip selected and edited by someone else.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines