Birthplace of *Fastbreak* Basketball!!!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Birthplace of *Fastbreak* Basketball!!!!

Unread post by Running Ram »

Release the hounds!!!

Let em RUN!!!!!
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Birthplace of *Fastbreak* Basketball!!!!

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I thought that was the plan. I thought that was the reason (in addition to pressure defense) that we're playing 6 guards. I know it's hard to run when you can't rebound, but during the open practice, Dan was stressing that they run after made baskets too. I wonder why they're not doing it?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I would offer this; against the Weak Sisters of the Poor, we can, do, and will......against teams that present as more equals in physicality, we do not have the horses for that advantage....and then forced into the reset half court offensive sets.....no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote:......I would offer this; against the Weak Sisters of the Poor, we can, do, and will......against teams that present as more equals in physicality, we do not have the horses for that advantage....and then forced into the reset half court offensive sets.....no?
Were not our guards physically superior to Valpo's guards?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hurley has, and Baron had, the same problems when it comes to playing uptempo...when we play better teams, they dictate the tempo, we don't, for whatever reasons.....maybe DH is afraid to press due to our penchant for fouling [especially with refs quick whistles on the road] and our bench is not reliable enough to take up the slack when our starters have to sit.....

Like I've said, our 9-10 man rotation doesn't exist right now, if the bench doesn't step up their play, we can look forward to the same problem all season....some guys are not playing well for whatever reason.....like ramster said, if only 2-3 guys play well in a given game, we're in trouble against better teams....

Guys like Iverson and EC have been disappointing for the most part....same for most of the bench save SR.....
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....I too thought that was the plan.....I guess the personnel including a deep, talented bench is required to sustain an uptempo force the action for 40 minutes....I don't think we were intended to one of those helta skelta offenses that burps up the shot early in the shot clock to simply create more shot opportunities than the opponent, but rather a team that tries to create some fast break opportunities as the present themselves from; steals, deflections, and rebounds were floor spacing and numbers give us the break opportunities....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I think Dan and the coaching staff feels caught in the middle. They want to play a certain style but they don't trust their bench yet. We saw how quickly the tide turned when we put in our bench after being up 20 against Belmont. A 20 point lead turned into 6 point lead real quick.

Still, there are still things we can do without wearing guys down. We still always put a man on the ball for 90 feet... Throw in an occasional trap... Extend the defense a bit.. We also could have double-teamed the post when it went into Peters.. Mix it up a bit, keep them off balance and not so predictable.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RoadyJay wrote:I think Dan and the coaching staff feels caught in the middle. They want to play a certain style but they don't trust their bench yet. We saw how quickly the tide turned when we put in our bench after being up 20 against Belmont. A 20 point lead turned into 6 point lead real quick.

Still, there are still things we can do without wearing guys down. We still always put a man on the ball for 90 feet... Throw in an occasional trap... Extend the defense a bit.. We also could have double-teamed the post when it went into Peters.. Mix it up a bit, keep them off balance and not so predictable.
......can we get an amen.....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We don't know how the guys are playing in practice either. Who is working the hardest, showing the best attitudes, showing skill improvement. My guess is that Dowtin had some good practices lately and this led to his playing time against Valpo. Not that practice performance is the end all to determining game Playing time but it can be a factor.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RoadyJay wrote:I think Dan and the coaching staff feels caught in the middle. They want to play a certain style but they don't trust their bench yet. We saw how quickly the tide turned when we put in our bench after being up 20 against Belmont. A 20 point lead turned into 6 point lead real quick.

This is part of what comes with trying to put together a strong OOC schedule to help the RPI as well. You don't get as many cupcake games to try and work the bench guys into action slowly along the way against inferior competition. They essentially had 2-3 games to do that so far and will get a couple more near the end of the OOC schedule. But like you said, against Belmont that didn't work out so great.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And yet we had posters complaining about the OOC game schedule
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote:And yet we had posters complaining about the OOC game schedule
I think people were mostly complaining about the OOC home schedule, not the OOC schedule as a whole. Posters knew we had 3 tough road games, but were disappointed we were not able to get a "name" school to come to Kingston.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

In order to fast break you need rebounding off the defensive board. Colson and green did it. We need more of the same tomorrow.
0 x