Game 8: @ Providence - 4:30p Sat Dec 3 Check Local Listings

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Game 8: @ Providence - 4:30p Sat Dec 3 Check Local Listings

Unread post by section(105) »

.....here we go.....I think we go into this game, after the Valpo loss, with more than the usual pressure of the annual PC game. ....for me the usual pressure is the big game atmosphere that surrounds this game, the rivalry, the history, the coaches, the bright lights of the Dunk stage and all that.....can't tell me our players and coaches view this as just another game on the schedule.....and add to this the real need for a win to stop any slide towards a loosing streak....how the kids are prepared and they react(both veterans and new comers)to early going is key......can't get behind early, can't let the Dunk crowd to get into it.....gotta play up to the capibility this team has......gotta come out and get control of the early possessions with scores and defensive stops and rebounds......get EC off early.....
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 8: @ Providence - 4:30p Sat Dec 3 FoxSportsNet

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Mods, you should probably also add Ocean State Network to the thread title, to prevent confusion on TV channel.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 8: @ Providence - 4:30p Sat Dec 3 FoxSportsNet

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This game for me, is the season....lose, and the bottom will fall out.......

And forget the Dance......unless we win the A10 tourney, which is extremely doubtful imo.....

This crap isn't going away I'm afraid......

And we can also forget about 6000 average attendance with a loss.....
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 8: @ Providence - 4:30p Sat Dec 3 Check Local Listings

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Few things I'm looking forward to seeing:

- If EC wakes up and plays like he is capable of playing / can match his game last time we played at the Dunk
- Kuran's matchup with Bullock, can he do any better than last night?
- Stan NEEDS to be first off the bench, he has played in big games like this, and Dowtin has looked lost
- How our relatively inexperienced bench reacts to playing in front of 12,000 + fans.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Who guards Bullock?
0 x
RamFanCO19
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by RamFanCO19 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Who guards Bullock?

Honestly, think having JT guard him might work, giving up a few inches, but physical and quick enough to not get taken off the bounce.

Not sure Iverson after getting torched last night is such a great idea
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I have seen this movie before, so let me take a stab:

We come out flat. Get down early. We make a great comeback to get it close going into the break. In the 2nd half we go back and forth, even get a lead.

Then we collapse, lose the lead, and go into the final minute down 2 possessions. We find a minor miracle to get it within 1 with seconds to go, then PC hits a shot and stomps on our hearts and we lose by 3, and I go throw myself off the providence place mall.

/season.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I feel pretty strongly that we win this one this year. No chance we come out flat. I vote Stan guards bullock if anything other than Hass.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree with you about Stan, he should guard Bullock if things go south with Iverson early....

I also agree, unfortunately, with Blue Man about the likely scenario that will unfold....

We will fuck it up, somehow....
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Kenpom's adding machine says Rhody has a 44% chance to win, but PC will take this one with 65-63 score in a slow paced game.

I will notify Prov Place Mall's security to be vigilant in watching over the escalators Saturday evening.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......regarding Robinson on Bullock, great point, however it would seem to me that change in the starting lineup(in place of KI)would be departure from DH's MO in the past; his sticking with the current starting five.....would love to see it, but probably not.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, Ocean State Network is Cox and WJAR. How does channel 10 not find a way to televise this game?
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

The best coaches aren't afraid of shaking things up to motivate their players. I hope Hurley is open to that.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ten hasn't broadcast a PC game since maybe the 1980's.
I wouldn't put Terrell on Bullock, because Terrell
has been the only consistent offense, along with Hassan.
I like the idea of Robinson.
Maybe sitting Iverson will light a fire under him.
Problem with Iverson is, he's like Forest Gump's
box of chocolate.
You just never know what you're going to get.
He is the team's best offensive rebounder and he is
capable of giving some offense.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody Guy wrote:The best coaches aren't afraid of shaking things up to motivate their players. I hope Hurley is open to that.
Um, yeaaah...no. Not happening.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:Kenpom's adding machine says Rhody has a 44% chance to win, but PC will take this one with 65-63 score in a slow paced game.
That should move (in one direction or another) following PC's game tonight.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Probably not much at all. PC would have to perform exceptionally (good or bad) to move the needle enough to change the score or chance of victory.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Unfortunately the crowd on Saturday will have even less Rhody fans due to the fact that PC season ticket holders were allowed to buy extra tickets before the general public. Along with that, when the general public was finally able to buy tickets it wasn't until a week before the game tips off. So while at the Dunk it usually may be 65/35 in favor of PC for this rivalry game, I think this year may be closer to 80/20 if not higher.

How will our players react to this? It's going to be loud! They can't fall behind early like usual.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

spookydog wrote:Unfortunately the crowd on Saturday will have even less Rhody fans due to the fact that PC season ticket holders were allowed to buy extra tickets before the general public. Along with that, when the general public was finally able to buy tickets it wasn't until a week before the game tips off. So while at the Dunk it usually may be 65/35 in favor of PC for this rivalry game, I think this year may be closer to 80/20 if not higher.

How will our players react to this? It's going to be loud! They can't fall behind early like usual.

Last year, we (season ticket holders) were also allowed to buy extra tickets before the general public, so I can't blame PC for doing that.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Is this game streaming?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Not that I'm aware, unless FriarTV is doing their pirate thing.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Gut check time. On the back of last night's disaster, a loss here would probably put me on a two month probationary period with this team where I will withhold all trust and only give it back if they head into February 8-1 or better in conference and 17-4 or better overall. Right now I find this team very hard to trust, not so much looking at the results so far on paper but more so based on the last several years and how the team looks to me at this point on the eye test.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote:Is this game streaming?
You mean like last night? Oh wait...that was "steaming"....never mind....
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:Gut check time. On the back of last night's disaster, a loss here would probably put me on a two month probationary period with this team where I will withhold all trust and only give it back if they head into February 8-1 or better in conference and 17-4 or better overall. Right now I find this team very hard to trust, not so much looking at the results so far on paper but more so based on the last several years and how the team looks to me at this point on the eye test.
Agreed, can't trust this team right now. Even if we beat PC by 20, how will we play the next game?

I still think 3-1 is possible over this four game stretch but the difference between 3-1 and 2-2 could be significant.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote:Unfortunately the crowd on Saturday will have even less Rhody fans due to the fact that PC season ticket holders were allowed to buy extra tickets before the general public. Along with that, when the general public was finally able to buy tickets it wasn't until a week before the game tips off. So while at the Dunk it usually may be 65/35 in favor of PC for this rivalry game, I think this year may be closer to 80/20 if not higher.

I never miss a PC game vs URI. Trust me the games are not loud. They may have spurts of loudness but only short spurts.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Somebody better stop Bullock on Saturday. 19 first half points against UNH.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We'll make him look like an All American......not to worry.......barf

Actually, their PG [Cartwright] could be the key...he's good with the ball and could dribble penetrate against us with ease.....and if we help on him he'll find the open man....our guys don't get open when someone penetrates..they don't move.....
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

ramster wrote:

I never miss a PC game vs URI. Trust me the games are not loud. They may have spurts of loudness but only short spurts.
It's never loud at the dunk. Like a library.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ram1019 wrote:
ramster wrote:

It's never loud at the dunk. Like a library.
Or assisted living center
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The people that buy early tickets probably already bought packages and found ways to get tickets. Now that singles are popping up and they will be easy to get you have to expect the usual crowd.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have no idea what to expect

I would think if we play our best game we will win but I am just not sure we will on the road in a hostile environment
0 x
Victorino
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Victorino »

URI should aggressively press PC, and utilize our bench more to do this. PC's guards are turnover prone.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need to make shots.....4-17 from 3 won't get it done like against Valpo.....

Even with all the warts from Tuesday night, if we make a couple more 3's, we win that game.....

We have games where just about everybody can't make a shot.....that's why we aren't that good......
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

One thing I noticed when I watched them play Virginia is that they often can commit dumb fouls, much like us. If we can get them into foul trouble we'll have that much more of a chance.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we play aggressively, with intensity, that should happen.....but on the road for some reason, we don't...do we need a home crowd pumping us up, to make us play that way?

Looks like it....again, if it continues, more problems ahead.....

In defense of Hurley for once, there's only so much he can do in that regard...the players have to motivate themselves to play well....or have a leader who can get them motivated....
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Hopefully Dan assigns Martin/Langevine on Emmit Holt and limit him, the guy is a beast down low and very similar to Martin (big wingspan)

Planting Stan/E.C. on Bullock and Terrell on Jalen Lindsey should shut down most of their scoring, leaving Garrett on Cartwright and Iverson to deal with Fazekas.

We have the weapons to guard this Friar team well and (hopefully) we should be able to score enough. Hopefully.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

EC on Bullock? He'll get 40 points.
EC was hardly a great or even good defender before he got hurt.
Put him on Lindsay and hope Lindsay has an off shooting night.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

[quote="thatRamBand"]Hopefully Dan assigns Martin/Langevine on Emmit Holt and limit him, the guy is a beast down low and very similar to Martin (big wingspan)quote]

Ramband,
Against Valpo, Langevine picked up 3 fouls and only played 4 minutes :oops:
Langevine is averaging 8.7 fouls per 40 minutes played.

I don't recall if Langevine was guarding Peters when he picked up his 3 quick fouls or not.

But you might be right that Langeving should guard Holt at least for part of the game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

thatRamBand wrote:Hopefully Dan assigns Martin/Langevine on Emmit Holt and limit him, the guy is a beast down low and very similar to Martin (big wingspan)

Planting Stan/E.C. on Bullock and Terrell on Jalen Lindsey should shut down most of their scoring, leaving Garrett on Cartwright and Iverson to deal with Fazekas.

We have the weapons to guard this Friar team well and (hopefully) we should be able to score enough. Hopefully.
The Cartwright - Garrett Match Up will be very interesting. Cartwright is #3 Ranked Nationally in Assists per Game with 8.2. Ahead if Cartwright are Lonzo Ball, the Freshman at UCLA with 9.1 and Maurice Watson Jr. from Creighton with 8.4. Can't wait to see those 2 Point Guards go head-head.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If I had to guess...Iverson will draw Bullock, Terrell will get Lindsey and EC will cover Fazekas (the easiest cover of the 3).
Bullock is too big for Terrell, he will take him down low and we need JT on the floor not in foul trouble. Iverson has to step up, if not it will go to Akele. PC is not a particularly good offensive team, if Bullock isn't hitting they will struggle to score consistently. That said, it will be a hostile environment and Cooley is an excellent in-game coach and will certainly throw wrinkles at us.

Agree with the assertion that we should press or force tempo, we cannot play in a rock fight with this team, need to dictate tempo and speed them up. They have 1 good ballhandler (Cartwright), beyond that no one has shown proficiency in putting the ball on the floor or creating their own shot.
1 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

ramster wrote:
thatRamBand wrote:Hopefully Dan assigns Martin/Langevine on Emmit Holt and limit him, the guy is a beast down low and very similar to Martin (big wingspan)quote]

Ramband,
Against Valpo, Langevine picked up 3 fouls and only played 4 minutes :oops:
Langevine is averaging 8.7 fouls per 40 minutes played.

I don't recall if Langevine was guarding Peters when he picked up his 3 quick fouls or not.

But you might be right that Langeving should guard Holt at least for part of the game.
You're absolutely right, Langevine will soak up (many) fouls, but he did show well against Kyle Washington in the Cincy Game. I think rotating Martin and him on Holt will slow the big guy down.

But yeah those foul numbers are...ugh.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote:Agree with the assertion that we should press or force tempo, we cannot play in a rock fight with this team, need to dictate tempo and speed them up.
I feel this way about every game we play. We are too passive with respect to the tempo the game is played at. I have some issues with our philosophy (or lack thereof) in transition, but I'd still rather get out and run and speed the overall game up than play in a possession-by-possession halfcourt game. I think that kind of game is wasteful of our best assets, but there doesn't appear to a lot of emphasis on speeding the game up from what I've seen to this point.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

NESN + Has Bently at SNHU...
1 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Agree with the assertion that we should press or force tempo, we cannot play in a rock fight with this team, need to dictate tempo and speed them up.
I feel this way about every game we play. We are too passive with respect to the tempo the game is played at. I have some issues with our philosophy (or lack thereof) in transition, but I'd still rather get out and run and speed the overall game up than play in a possession-by-possession halfcourt game. I think that kind of game is wasteful of our best assets, but there doesn't appear to a lot of emphasis on speeding the game up from what I've seen to this point.
At the open practice, that's exactly what Dan said he wanted to do. Play fast, force tempo, press all over the court. As I said in another thread, it's hard to run when you can't rebound, but at that practice, Dan was stressing getting out and run even after made baskets. So, why aren't we doing it? We have the athletes to do it now. Force tempo!!!
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ATPTourFan wrote:Kenpom's adding machine says Rhody has a 44% chance to win, but PC will take this one with 65-63 score in a slow paced game.

I will notify Prov Place Mall's security to be vigilant in watching over the escalators Saturday evening.
The Biltmore is closer tithe Dunkin Dump and its roof is higher and more easily accessible. If we lose there will be a line to get up there.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I have three bridges, all very close. Those will do.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wait, last year, Cooley said it wasn't a big deal. But now it is? Because it's at his place? Like he wants it to be every year?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

As long as he keeps winning, he can change his story each year.
0 x