Game 8: @ Providence - 4:30p Sat Dec 3 Check Local Listings

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Game 8: @ Providence - 4:30p Sat Dec 3 Check Local Listings

Unread post by Blue Man »

Not even broken up about it. Knew it was happening. Called it until I said I would throw myself off the mall. This team doesn't deserve mine or anyone else's life.

We are a small time basketball program. Talented with no direction. Wildly overhyped with the exception of #12 and #32.

I don't know if I'm more mad at KI for sucking or Dan for not recognizing he sucks. I don't know if I'm more mad at EC for ALWAYS forcing up a shot he can't hit in a clutch position or Dan allowing him to touch the floor in those situations.

I don't know the solution...but 0-5 against PC and 2-8 against UMASS and terrible road and big game records is telling.

If I he have to read anyone else talk about press we "deserve" or votes were owed I'm going to drive over to your house and mash your hands with a hammer so you can't type any more.

We are an overrated, overhyped, meaningless and small time basketball program. The future is dimmer than the present, and I don't see us winning anything of meaning any time soon.

Sad and pathetic but we've cemented ourselves as a second rate, second class, pretend basketball program. I honestly don't know why I ever thought it would he different.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

E.C. and K.I. don't suck, they are talented kids that need direction and guidance. Perhaps over-hyped (once again), but both of these players have abilities that are not benefiting the team at this point, coach has to get that sorted out. I saw what Rhodygirl saw, E.C. standing around a lot, coach has to get that sorted out. If E.C. doesn't have the stamina in his knee to put the full effort in, thus becoming a liability on Defense, then sort it out, otherwise no excuse to bury Berry on the bench, that guy can score the ball around the hoop as good as any Ram, yet we're sold on the notion he's not up to speed, so he rides.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This team doesn't execute and hasn't executed anything in 5 years. Thats why the last 5 minutes of every game are like hell.

Every game I look up and there is 5 minutes and I know it will take a miracle for us to score and a miracle for us to stop someone from scoring.

These Rams are exposed. Probably doesn't even take more than 6 hours of tape to figure it out. There is probably a pay service that has the scouting report on Rhody.

I'm beating the Berry drum. Not that he is a band aid or a fix for us. I just think he brings 5 things to the table that none of the guys playing do.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:This team doesn't execute and hasn't executed anything in 5 years. Thats why the last 5 minutes of every game are like hell.

Every game I look up and there is 5 minutes and I know it will take a miracle for us to score and a miracle for us to stop someone from scoring.

These Rams are exposed. Probably doesn't even take more than 6 hours of tape to figure it out. There is probably a pay service that has the scouting report on Rhody.

I'm beating the Berry drum. Not that he is a band aid or a fix for us. I just think he brings 5 things to the table that none of the guys playing do.
Not disagreeing with you, but what are the 5 things that Berry brings? And I'm not sure you meant "none of the guys playing do", did you?
I saw starters that should not be hearing footsteps behind them for playing time. Robinson, Akele and Thompson played tough. They looked at times like they wanted the game more than some of our starters. Cooley made a starting line up move with Isaiah Jackson for a big game like this that can be judged in hindsight but fact is he made it. Dan is very loyal to his players, a great quality, but can it be to a fault at times? He will sub playing time, but rarely will he change starters. It might be time for a starting line up change, maybe if only for the second half of a game to start with.
ODU and Houston are important upcoming games for this team, maybe now more than ever.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

They all stand around, not just EC...there is zero to minimal movement on offense. It's all one on one, and that"s fine against bad teams, but not top not 100 teams. Dan's offense seems to be the old "offense by accident".

If they don't win out the Non Conference (not even sure they will do it), their only shot at the tourney is to win the A10 tourney.

I saw yesterdays train wreck coming, and I wasn't even going to watch until my wife encouraged me to. This is normally a game that I am up for even the years we suck. But with this supposed to be "the year", and it obviously not going to be it, it's very painful. Adding to the pain is that the future looks dimmer than the present, with 2 suspect recruiting classes and Dan locked in for 4 more years.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....the picture with Mike Laprey in the pamphlet today, in the KMac article, sums it up.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

There are many many questions surrounding this team... Some thoughts off the top of my bald head:

-Dan needs to get KI and EC back on track. Dan said as much in his post-game press conference and he said it is on him. I don't know how you do this, but collectively they need to figure it out. We need those two.
-Where is the stingy defense? PC shot 46% from the field and 44% from three. Part of that was Cartwright going 4-6 from three. There was no expectation he would do that.
-We had several opportunities to get separation from PC but just couldn't execute when it counted. If we were playing well we would have grown that 7-point lead to double-digits and we would have been able to handle PC's run in the final minutes.
-Why are we getting in these possession by possession slogs? We are 292nd in the country in possessions per game? Why? Where is the up tempo, get out and run, attack, put pressure on the opponent style that was discussed during the pre-season. What is preventing us from playing that style of basketball? When you play this style in close games you need to be able to make plays. We just don't have enough guys that can make plays right now.

We also need to look at the other side of the coin here. We need to have a little perspective.

-We sit at 5-3 with exactly zero of those losses considered bad losses in the eyes of any selection committee.
-In those 3 losses, two of our best players have had very little impact (KI and EC). There is no doubt in my mind we are sitting at 7-1 if those two play as anticipated. There is a very good chance that these guys will get it figured out by the start of A10 play, if not sooner. They are just too talented for the poor play to continue
-I'm not overlooking anyone, but we have a real opportunity the next six games before we hit the road for a tough battle against Dayton. Houston will be tough on the road but we have an opportunity to go 5-1 or even 6-0 if we can finally put it all together and play to our potential against Houston. If you told me at the start of the season that by game 14 we would be 10-4 or 11-3, with a solid win over Cincinnati, I'd tell you it looks like we are on-track.
-Even with last night's loss, our Expected RPI will remain hovering around 30. Maintain that and we are in the tourney.

I'm not dismissing our issues, we have plenty of them. We are frustrated, we are not playing to our potential, but we are still sitting in an enviable position. The reality is that we should still like our team and our chances over anyone else in the A10.
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The basic issues with Dan's offensively challenged "offense" remain.......our assist to made basket ratio is horrible...our number of possessions per game is horrible...THAT's what has to change if we are to win these types of games.....

Yes, if KI and EC improve we will be better...but that won't solve our underlying problems....every time against good teams we slow the ball down late in the game...and almost every time, we lose.....it makes us easier to defend....and the shots get more contested and stop falling.....

That's a coaching decision...and it has to change, simple as that....but nothing is ever simple with this program.....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This team should be playing loose and fast. They are not. Our coach needs to be much more malleable in overall approach and in game strategies. This cannot be a lost season, too much talent.
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Kuran is really frustrating. Is he actually any good or is he just 6'9 and getting the benefit of the doubt because he was wildly overranked coming out of high school?

In URI's three losses this year, Kuran has totally disappeared scoring a total of nine points in those games.

URI is 5-0 when they score 70+ points this year.
URI is 5-0 when Kuran scores in double digits.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

A good night's sleep and morning at church has been helpful. Thinking now that, having predicted 4 OOC losses, I shouldn't be as wound up. They look to be on target for that. Problem is, I thought they'd only lose 4 conference games, too...which means they gotta play better then they have. And if Stan, Akele, and CT keep improving - and more importantly GET THE OPPORTUNITY to keep improving - maybe that's doable. Hopefully, they can develop that depth enough to overcome the other stuff...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The true bottom line?

We lost to Providence. Any bandwagon fans who jumped on the Rhody train jumped off last night.

The result is loss of thousands and thousands of ticket sales.

Is there any way to get that momentum back with the remaining games on our schedule?

URI hoops just over a week ago was presented with the best opportunity in nearly 20 years to reach the pinnacle of NCAA D1 mid season hoops / a likely top 10 ranking.

Opportunity gone.

It already feels like a distant dream.....

That's it for me on this one / you all carry on.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:
RamFanCO19 wrote:HahahahahHAHAAHAHAHHAHA WHAT A BUNCH OF LOSERSSSSS YOU ALLL ARE
GO FRIARS - PC owns you losers
RanFanCO19,
Gotta hand it to ya,
Interesting history you have here............
- Joined the KeanyBlue Board 1 week ago
- Have 18 posts but 6 of those 8 came after tonight's URI loss and are nonsense
- Love how you criticized the Go Local Prov article - now you would have me betting even money that you wrote it :lol: :lol:
- Love this one "I think the Holt/Hassan match up is going to be the best one, that's prob an even fight". Pretty far off on that prediction but then I am sure you knew that - just endearing yourself to the Board and the Mods so you could get to tonight post game
- Love how you saw Cole Swider on campus............right :roll: :roll:

So good one RamFanCO19. You pulled it off. Can't blame our Mods for letting you sneak in, you "won" if that is what you like to think of as winning

But a few serious questions:
- How long ago did you plan this ruse? A year ago? 2 years ago? 2 weeks ago?
- Was it worth it? I mean, are you sitting in your mother's house basement celebrating your success?
- Do you post on the PC Board? Could it be that you were once banned from this Board in the past and now were able to return? Hmmm
- What do you do for a living? Serious question, I'd like to know

And for me, I don't care if you get banned or not. Your whole schtick is rather odd, strange, obtuse, but amusing at least for now

glad our Board was able to being some joy and fun into your life :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So where did you go?
Why not answer the questions?
Hiding in the basement?
Did you run back to the PC Board?
Proud of your accomplishment?
Get a job, get a life
You are an embarrassment to Providence College and to humanity
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......did PC play any zone defense at all last......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

section(105) wrote:......did PC play any zone defense at all last......?
A little bit in the first half, none in the second.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

RoadyJay wrote:There are many many questions surrounding this team... Some thoughts off the top of my bald head:

-Dan needs to get KI and EC back on track. Dan said as much in his post-game press conference and he said it is on him. I don't know how you do this, but collectively they need to figure it out. We need those two.
-Where is the stingy defense? PC shot 46% from the field and 44% from three. Part of that was Cartwright going 4-6 from three. There was no expectation he would do that.
-We had several opportunities to get separation from PC but just couldn't execute when it counted. If we were playing well we would have grown that 7-point lead to double-digits and we would have been able to handle PC's run in the final minutes.
-Why are we getting in these possession by possession slogs? We are 292nd in the country in possessions per game? Why? Where is the up tempo, get out and run, attack, put pressure on the opponent style that was discussed during the pre-season. What is preventing us from playing that style of basketball? When you play this style in close games you need to be able to make plays. We just don't have enough guys that can make plays right now.

We also need to look at the other side of the coin here. We need to have a little perspective.

-We sit at 5-3 with exactly zero of those losses considered bad losses in the eyes of any selection committee.
-In those 3 losses, two of our best players have had very little impact (KI and EC). There is no doubt in my mind we are sitting at 7-1 if those two play as anticipated. There is a very good chance that these guys will get it figured out by the start of A10 play, if not sooner. They are just too talented for the poor play to continue
-I'm not overlooking anyone, but we have a real opportunity the next six games before we hit the road for a tough battle against Dayton. Houston will be tough on the road but we have an opportunity to go 5-1 or even 6-0 if we can finally put it all together and play to our potential against Houston. If you told me at the start of the season that by game 14 we would be 10-4 or 11-3, with a solid win over Cincinnati, I'd tell you it looks like we are on-track.
-Even with last night's loss, our Expected RPI will remain hovering around 30. Maintain that and we are in the tourney.

I'm not dismissing our issues, we have plenty of them. We are frustrated, we are not playing to our potential, but we are still sitting in an enviable position. The reality is that we should still like our team and our chances over anyone else in the A10.
Interesting perspective.
Here's my opinion on things:

- I feel Kuran Iverson has been overhyped from day 1. I don't feel he has ever been on track to be a good player or emerged to play up to his potential. I feel it's definitely a mental thing. I think he does well against much weaker opponents, but that's about it.
- I don't feel we've ever been great at holding a lead against tough or even evenly matched opponents. Leads under 15pts in rivalry games are rarely safe in my opinion. There was nothing to lead me to believe they would hold the 7 point lead in the second half. The team let Belmont back into the game at home when they had a huge lead.
- I feel the team definitely has the talent to play with just about any team. In my opinion, there are a bunch of guys that have the ability to make big plays if they are given the opportunity. Thompson, Robinson, & Akele could really be positive contributors on this team if they saw more minutes. Thompson, Robinson, & Akele have shown me they have the mental toughness to play with the big boys. In the first half of the PC game, we had 12 points from people on our bench. Guess how many points we had from our bench by the end of the game? 12. Thompson and Robinson had their minutes cuts in nearly in half in the 2nd half. Akele played 2 fewer minutes. Zero (0) points came from the bench in the 2nd half. Coincidence? Doubt it.
- In my opinion, when you start players who just aren't performing well game after game, other players notice. Leaders need to lead by example. EC and KI need to show up with some tenacity every time they set foot on the floor. I'm not seeing if from them. I'm seeing Sophomores working harder and when the game is on the line, their on the bench. This is a bad example to set as a coach, in my opinion. Guys notice. It's demoralizing for players who sit on the bench to have to sit there knowing they could be doing better than the guys on the floor. It can kill a team from the inside out. This team needs smart guys on the floor that will scratch and claw during every possession. Terrell, Jarvis, Hassan, Akele, and Thompson would be my starters until EC can show me he's ready to play again. I would keep KI permanently on the bench...meaning he should come off the bench to play and not be a starter again. I just don't think he has the mental side of the game down.
- I feel Dan has been overhyped from day 1. I feel Dan is a better coach than the one we had in some aspects, BUT if you're a coach that over 4 - 5 years is not learning from your mistakes, you're no better than the one that was fired. He starts guys that don't work as hard as some of the guys on the bench, in my opinion. He isn't good at drawing up late game plays when the team desperately needs a basket (this is part of the 1st issue as well). I have a ton of respect for Dan. I think this team will get better as the year goes on, only if Dan starts making some tough decisions, starting with EC and Iverson going back to the bench.

I'm certainly am not holding out any hope that the team will be making the NCAA tournament. Much like a business, the example has to be set from the top down. In the words of Dennis Green, "they are who were thought they were...and we let them off the hook."
Last edited by The Dude 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote: If I he have to read anyone else talk about press we "deserve" or votes were owed I'm going to drive over to your house and mash your hands with a hammer so you can't type any more.
Maybe someone should drive to your house and smash your hands. If I remember correctly you were one of the people going on and on about how EC was going to be a lottery pick. Saying anyone who doesn't think Hurley isn't the great thing for this program is a moron and shouldn't even be a fan.

I was optimistic things would come together this season but I think that was because I read too many delusional posts on this board last year. Last yea I posted that EC wasn't as critical as everyone thought and that there were deeper issues than just not having EC. Pretty sure I was called an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about. Not happy that I'm right but at least this a wake up call to some of those on this board.

I still think this team has the talent and ability to make the NCAA tournament but they'll most likely be a 10 seed or last four in which is not meeting expectations. I kept thinking that Hurley was still relatively new to coaching at the division 1 level and that we would grow as a coach but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be happening.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

A play that stood out to me was EC firing up a three when the lane was clear and Fazekas was guarding him. I think the EC of sophomore year would have had the confidence to take that to the rim.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The Dude wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:There are many many questions surrounding this team... Some thoughts off the top of my bald head:

Interesting perspective.
Here's my opinion on things:

- I feel Kuran Iverson has been overhyped from day 1. I don't feel he has ever been on track to be a good player or emerged to play up to his potential. I feel it's definitely a mental thing. I think he does well against much weaker opponents, but that's about it.
- I don't feel we've ever been great at holding a lead against tough or even evenly matched opponents. Leads under 15pts in rivalry games are rarely safe in my opinion. There was nothing to lead me to believe they would hold the 7 point lead in the second half. The team let Belmont back into the game at home when they had a huge lead.
- I feel the team definitely has the talent to play with just about any team. In my opinion, there are a bunch of guys that have the ability to make big plays if they are given the opportunity. Thompson, Robinson, & Akele could really be positive contributors on this team if they saw more minutes. Thompson, Robinson, & Akele have shown me they have the mental toughness to play with the big boys. In the first half of the PC game, we had 12 points from people on our bench. Guess how many points we had from our bench by the end of the game? 12. Thompson and Robinson had their minutes cuts in nearly in half in the 2nd half. Akele played 2 fewer minutes. Zero (0) points came from the bench in the 2nd half. Coincidence? Doubt it.
- In my opinion, when you start players who just aren't performing well game after game, other players notice. Leaders need to lead by example. EC and KI need to show up with some tenacity every time they set foot on the floor. I'm not seeing if from them. I'm seeing Sophomores working harder and when the game is on the line, their on the bench. This is a bad example to set as a coach, in my opinion. Guys notice. It's demoralizing for players who sit on the bench to have to sit there knowing they could be doing better than the guys on the floor. It can kill a team from the inside out. This team needs smart guys on the floor that will scratch and claw during every possession. Terrell, Jarvis, Hassan, Akele, and Thompson would be my starters until EC can show me he's ready to play again. I would keep KI permanently on the bench...meaning he should come off the bench to play and not be a starter again. I just don't think he has the mental side of the game down.
- I feel Dan has been overhyped from day 1. I feel Dan is a better coach than the one we had in some aspects, BUT if you're a coach that over 4 - 5 years is not learning from your mistakes, you're no better than the one that was fired. He starts guys that don't work as hard as some of the guys on the bench, in my opinion. He isn't good at drawing up late game plays when the team desperately needs a basket (this is part of the 1st issue as well). I have a ton of respect for Dan. I think this team will get better as the year goes on, only if Dan starts making some tough decisions, starting with EC and Iverson going back to the bench.

I'm certainly am not holding out any hope that the team will be making the NCAA tournament. Much like a business, the example has to be set from the top down. In the words of Dennis Green, "they are who were thought they were...and we let them off the hook."
Dude,
Just a comment on your first statement.
I think the biggest win in the Hurley Era came against Nationally Ranked Cincinnati.
If you said I could have only 1 win between Cincinnati, Valparaiso and PC I would have picked Cincinnati because they are arguably the best of the 3 teams, favored to win the AAC and best shot at making the NCAA Tourney of the 3 teams, PLUS, (and this is HUUUUGGEEE), it got us the opportunity to play #1 Ranked Duke vs playing Penn State. I would have been sick if I had been at the Mohegan on Sunday to watch Penn State - URI at 3:30pm in the game AFTER Duke would have played Cincinnati at 1pm
In that game, which I consider the biggest ever for Hurley, Iverson had a Double-Double (and Kyle Washington had one for Cincinnati):
- 15 points, 2nd highest to EC's 18
- 5-10 FG, 5-6 FT
- 10 rebounds, team high and tied for game high with Kyle Washington
- 5 assists to lead URI and tied with Caupain for game high.
- 1 steal, 1 block and 1 turnover and fouls
- Played 33 minutes
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Lololol how are people talking about 6-0 these next six games.

What gives anyone any thought that we have a chance at Houston?

This team has given us NOTHING to think we have a shot to win at Houston.
0 x
Go Rhody
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

The Dude wrote:
Really? He averaged 10 and 7 last season. Did you expect him to average a double-double? We all believe he needs to play better. Interestingly, he is still averaging 9 and 6 in 22 minutes. I think he does have the potential to average close to a double-double if he and Dan can figure things out.

Forget, for just 30 seconds, how pissed off you are about the last two losses... If someone came up to you and said for this season you can swap this Rhody team for any other team in the A10, or you can keep your current team, what would you do? Would you take Dayton and Archie Miller? Hard for me to argue with that if you did. But are they as good as they have been in past years? Not sure. Would you swap with VCU? A team that you don't know which team will show up and that got smashed by Illinois? Would you take Davidson? Good team, good coach... but haven't really beaten anyone yet this season and got smoked by Clemson. Any other team catch your eye as winning the A10?

For me, despite the legitimate concerns and despite the two-game losing streak I'll take my chances with Dan and this Rhody Ram team to win the A10.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Former player posting here - I don't think this is a program-defining loss, and the sky is not falling. But this is a reality check to the players and the coaches - we have to work a lot harder in order to be successful this year.

I'm going to be honest - I was a junior on the 2010 team that lost in the Garden (ironically the last year we beat PC), and I wouldn't be afraid of this team at all if we matched up against them. They just don't scare me offensively. There's no creativity, a heavy reliance on breaking down defenders 1 on 1, and a lack of shooters makes it easy to sag off defenders. On top of that, this team is undersized!

I'm not buying into the Hurley bashing. I PLAYED under Jim Baron, and Dan Hurley light years better as a coach. I'm far enough removed from my basketball life that I finally feel comfortable saying that. Jim Baron was a bad basketball coach. Hurley has turned this program around, never forget that.
7 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:Lololol how are people talking about 6-0 these next six games.

What RhodyJay said was:
-I'm not overlooking anyone, but we have a real opportunity the next six games before we hit the road for a tough battle against Dayton. Houston will be tough on the road but we have an opportunity to go 5-1 or even 6-0 if we can finally put it all together and play to our potential against Houston.

I agree with his statement. He said 5-1 or 6-0.
This team has given the best victory in the Hurley era over Cincinnati which makes me think we have a shot to win at Houston, plus the fact we beat Houston at home last year. So I would not say this team has given us NOTHING to think we have a shot at Houston.
0 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

Looking for the silver lining.......there is one over at the espn rpi board.......we are now at 45.Wernt we in the 70s last week?Sos is now 21.They dropped from 13 to 34........and sos 29 from 8..Now these numbers mean nothing n o w.But pc has only ten road games scheduled this season.......two ooc...... and we were the first of six at home for them.Their ticket policy made this a true road game for us.A second rematch in the nit is plausible......both teams probably won't make t h e ncaa..It would be nice to run up the score on odu this week too
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote:

What RhodyJay said was:
-I'm not overlooking anyone, but we have a real opportunity the next six games before we hit the road for a tough battle against Dayton. Houston will be tough on the road but we have an opportunity to go 5-1 or even 6-0 if we can finally put it all together and play to our potential against Houston.

This team has given the best victory in the Hurley era over Cincinnati which makes me think we have a shot to win at Houston, plus the fact we beat Houston at home last year. So I would not say this team has given us NOTHING to think we have a shot at Houston.
Last year's results mean absolutely nothing.

Cincy game was a neutral / basically a home game.

We were FAVORED at both Valpo and PC, and of course choked away both.

So yes, this year, this team, has showed me nothing to believe we will win at Houston.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Really? He averaged 10 and 7 last season. Did you expect him to average a double-double? We all believe he needs to play better. Interestingly, he is still averaging 9 and 6 in 22 minutes. I think he does have the potential to average close to a triple-double if he and Dan can figure things out.

Forget, for just 30 seconds, how pissed off you are about the last two losses... If someone came up to you and said for this season you can swap this Rhody team for any other team in the A10, or you can keep your current team, what would you do? Would you take Dayton and Archie Miller? Hard for me to argue with that if you did. But are they as good as they have been in past years? Not sure. Would you swap with VCU? A team that you don't know which team will show up and that got smashed by Illinois? Would you take Davidson? Good team, good coach... but haven't really beaten anyone yet this season and got smoked by Clemson. Any other team catch your eye as winning the A10?

For me, despite the legitimate concerns and despite the two-game losing streak I'll take my chances with Dan and this Rhody Ram team to win the A10.
...I'd take Miller/Dayton over Hurls/URI ...but I'd also take Miller/URI over Hurls/Dayton...
2 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Cincinnati is a damn good win... Home, Neutral, Away... anywhere.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KURAN IVERSON AVERAGE CLOSE TO A TRIPLE DOUBLE?!?!?!

My God what freaking planet are you on?

Talk about delusional.
1 x
Go Rhody
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote:KURAN IVERSON AVERAGE CLOSE TO A TRIPLE DOUBLE?!?!?!

Talk about delusional.
Haha.. yea, that's my bad. I meant double-double.. Corrected.

He averaged 10 and 7 last year.. No reason he can't average that and more this year
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Until the team is called out on Selection Sunday, nothing has been turned around.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:
ramster wrote:

What RhodyJay said was:

Last year's results mean absolutely nothing.

Cincy game was a neutral / basically a home game.

We were FAVORED at both Valpo and PC, and of course choked away both.

So yes, this year, this team, has showed me nothing to believe we will win at Houston.
Houston will be a tough game. I thought last year the Houston Victory was one of our best until we beat Dayton at their place - but as you said last year's results versus Houston mean nothing to you.

This year:
Houston lost at LSU by 19
LSU lost to A10's VCU in the Bahamas by 11
30 point gap

URI beat Cincinnati who is the AAC team in the Top 25. Of course Kevin Mac in his infinite wisdom had UConn (3-4) in his Top 25 Voting to start the season
Anyway, Does that give you even an ounce of hope? At least as in "Dumb and Dumber's" "so you think there's a chance??"

American Standings
TEAM CONF OVERALL

Cincinnati 0-0 6-1
Houston 0-0 6-1
UCF 0-0 6-1
East Carolina 0-0 7-2
Memphis 0-0 6-2
Temple 0-0 6-2
SMU 0-0 5-3
South Florida 0-0 4-3
Tulsa 0-0 3-3
Connecticut 0-0 3-4
Tulane 0-0 1-7
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

theblueram wrote:Until the team is called out on Selection Sunday, nothing has been turned around.
Disagree wholeheartedly, Hurley changed the culture of the program. It's hard to see the change unless you're intimately involved with it, but it was in shambles when Baron left. Academics, discipline, everything. It was awful. Hurley built it back up and he'll always have my respect because of that. We're in a much better place structurally because of him, regardless of our losses to Providence and Valpo this week
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Keaney.Blue wrote:Former player posting here - I don't think this is a program-defining loss, and the sky is not falling. But this is a reality check to the players and the coaches - we have to work a lot harder in order to be successful this year.

I'm going to be honest - I was a junior on the 2010 team that lost in the Garden (ironically the last year we beat PC), and I wouldn't be afraid of this team at all if we matched up against them. They just don't scare me offensively. There's no creativity, a heavy reliance on breaking down defenders 1 on 1, and a lack of shooters makes it easy to sag off defenders. On top of that, this team is undersized!

I'm not buying into the Hurley bashing. I PLAYED under Jim Baron, and Dan Hurley light years better as a coach. I'm far enough removed from my basketball life that I finally feel comfortable saying that. Jim Baron was a bad basketball coach. Hurley has turned this program around, never forget that.
Always good to get this kind of perspective from someone who knows a hell of a lot more than anybody else around here.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:

Talk about delusional.

He averaged 10 and 7 last year.. No reason he can't average that and more this year
Just ever so slightly less delusional....he has "1" double double in 8 games. Going to have to really go some before talking about averaging a double double. And, if he gets the PT that he should be getting...he's not going to come close....
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:

Talk about delusional.

Just ever so slightly less delusional....he has "1" double double in 8 games. Going to have to really go some before talking about averaging a double double. And, if he gets the PT that he should be getting...he's not going to come close....
Averaged 10 and 7 last year... Is averaging 9 and 6 this year playing 22 minutes/game... I don't think it's delusional

My original quote was, "I think he does have the potential to average close to a double-double if he and Dan can figure things out."

He's 1 point and a few rebounds away and he is averaging this playing his worst basketball since he has been here. I'll continue to believe he will show us the talent I believe he has. He proved it last season. No reason to think he has forgotten how to play.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree he might be playing his worst basketball...but the numbers are still about the same as last year? 10 and 7 isn't much different from 9 and 6...it might be his worst play since he's been here, but it's not like there's been a huge drop off #s-wise?

I believe he will show the talent he has, too...just not frequently enough to be counted on as a big help.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Keaney.Blue wrote:
theblueram wrote:Until the team is called out on Selection Sunday, nothing has been turned around.
Disagree wholeheartedly, Hurley changed the culture of the program. It's hard to see the change unless you're intimately involved with it, but it was in shambles when Baron left. Academics, discipline, everything. It was awful. Hurley built it back up and he'll always have my respect because of that. We're in a much better place structurally because of him, regardless of our losses to Providence and Valpo this week
Changed the "culture" from what, Will? Do you think the culture was what Baron created? He destroyed the culture of this team. Hurley is trying to bring the culture back to where it was, prior to ED. But don't kid yourself thinking the culture of URI basketball was anything other than winning. The culture of URI basketball started before 2000. Long before.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Agree he might be playing his worst basketball...but the numbers are still about the same as last year? 10 and 7 isn't much different from 9 and 6...it might be his worst play since he's been here, but it's not like there's been a huge drop off #s-wise?

I believe he will show the talent he has, too...just not frequently enough to be counted on as a big help.
You're right, not a big dropoff from last year. The main difference so far this year is that he has been very inconsistent which is why it is so upsetting because we've seen his potential (Cincinnati 15pts, 10rebs). We need his consistency!
0 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

We're not helping ourselves, but teams in the pre-season AP top 25 hear their named called on Selection Sunday 86% of the time....

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men ... oll-relate

"For example, since 1984-85 there have been 776 teams ranked in the preseason poll. And 86 percent competed in the NCAA tournament. In 2015-16, preseason No. 21 LSU was the only team ranked in October to miss out in March."
Last edited by Paleoguy 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

theblueram wrote:
Keaney.Blue wrote:
Changed the "culture" from what, Will? Do you think the culture was what Baron created? He destroyed the culture of this team. Hurley is trying to bring the culture back to where it was, prior to ED. But don't kid yourself thinking the culture of URI basketball was anything other than winning. The culture of URI basketball started before 2000. Long before.
Don't 'old timer' me, I know URI basketball history. I've read Woodward's book on the history of the program and know more than a few old timers. I think you're misunderstanding culture and how it exists in a college basketball program. It can be ephemeral if not carried over from class to class, passed down from upperclassmen to underclassmen. That collective transmission of values and norms of behavior is extremely difficult to maintain when players come and go yearly. Sure, a program can have a proud history of winning and the infrastructure (practice facilities, loyal fanbase, etc) but if the players aren't taught discipline, work ethic, accountability, and respect by the coaches and supporting staff then a program will never win. Culture exists in the locker room, and unless you're intimately involved in the program it's hard to gauge.

If I told you some of the shenanigans that went on during my time at URI - in the dorms, in the locker room - and the repercussions (or lack thereof) of that behavior, you'd be shocked. The ambivalence of the coaching staff to discipline issues, player development, and accountability at some points was shocking. You'll never hear me anoint Coach Hurley the new Greg Popovich, but he's changed the culture of the locker room and URI's basketball program is in a much better place. Hope that sheds some light on what I mean.
8 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote:We were FAVORED at both Valpo and PC, and of course choked away both.
Both kenpom.com and rpiforecast had us as underdogs against PC and Vegas had it as even until the public moved the line. And both websites had us as the slightest of favorites against Valparaiso.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The above sounds like great stuff. Good foundation, good culture, good guys, diligent coaches and administration, talented players and less shenanigans. Now...if they could just mix in some 'plays'....they might really have something.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Keaney.Blue wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Keaney.Blue wrote:
Don't 'old timer' me, I know URI basketball history. I've read Woodward's book on the history of the program and know more than a few old timers. I think you're misunderstanding culture and how it exists in a college basketball program. It can be ephemeral if not carried over from class to class, passed down from upperclassmen to underclassmen. That collective transmission of values and norms of behavior is extremely difficult to maintain when players come and go yearly. Sure, a program can have a proud history of winning and the infrastructure (practice facilities, loyal fanbase, etc) but if the players aren't taught discipline, work ethic, accountability, and respect by the coaches and supporting staff then a program will never win. Culture exists in the locker room, and unless you're intimately involved in the program it's hard to gauge.

If I told you some of the shenanigans that went on during my time at URI - in the dorms, in the locker room - and the repercussions (or lack thereof) of that behavior, you'd be shocked. The ambivalence of the coaching staff to discipline issues, player development, and accountability at some points was shocking. You'll never hear me anoint Coach Hurley the new Greg Popovich, but he's changed the culture of the locker room and URI's basketball program is in a much better place. Hope that sheds some light on what I mean.
I appreciate your perspective as a former player. At the same time, he isn't running a boy scouts troop. You need to win games, plain and simple. I couldn't care less about the behind the curtain stuff as long as Ws are going up and it isn't an NCAA violation
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It does KB. Thanks for clarifying. I'm sure DH has changed the culture in the locker room. With studies. With discipline. All that. I think sometimes people (like myself) hear culture and think this "Program" has always been in a shambles. But it hasn't. From a fan perspective only (and an Old Timer's hahaha) I think this program has always expected great things from every student who steps on to the court. Nothing has changed there. But it's nice to hear a players perspective. Thanks.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We've got people on here saying that we have no plays but most of those same posters are saying that Dan micromanages the team and doesn't let them just play. Well which is it? It can't be both.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Kuran's offensive numbers notwithstanding, it's been shown that he struggles as a 2 way player. He has been horrible defensively this year, which negates any potential averaging of a double double (which I don't think will happen).

Both PC runs in the 2nd half yesterday were sparked by crucial defensive breakdowns by KI. I'm not sure why the focus is on his offensive production when he has certainly allowed way more points than he has contributed. But also, Dan needs to recognize this. He shouldn't have seen the floor in the 2nd half yesterday with the way he was defending.

It's means nothing if you're 6'9 and a sieve on the defensive end. This is the area that I thought would improve under Hurley, but it clearly hasn't. Stan, while smaller, is so disruptive and active defensively, I'd rather give up the height for someone who alters the way opponents attack us.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I guess it is Hurley's fault that EC was invisible the last few games. How does Iverson bury his first 3 point shot yesterday and then a little later from about the same spot have an open shot and throw up an air ball. Must be the coach. How many times do you think KI has been talked to about the team needing him and to stay out of foul trouble. Especially about not committing fouls away from the basket. Yesterday he gets 2 fouls in less than 4 minutes in the first half and misses the last 16 minutes. I must say so far he has shown a very below average bball IQ.
I guess the good news is that EC and KI could not have played much worse and we were in 2 difficult away games until the final buzzer.
Let's not abandon ship yet guys.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:We've got people on here saying that we have no plays but most of those same posters are saying that Dan micromanages the team and doesn't let them just play. Well which is it? It can't be both.
Oddly enough...I think that might be the case exactly?

- Do you think the team looks micro-managed? Kinda 'looks' that way sometimes during games....
- Does it look like they are running plays? Kinda 'doesn't' look that way during games...
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Comes down to URI having no identity.

So much movement on the roster leaves them with no identity. Coaches do that. Make the identity.

Even matching what they did in 2014 won't have the same optimistic feel that season had because these guys started off with all the hype and I'm sure in the locker room expectations and dreams.

You only get so much credit for changing the program culture from the Baron days. I think its more of an indictment on Baron than a positive for Hurley to say that people must be accountable. Most organizations are accountable.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry