Game 8: @ Providence - 4:30p Sat Dec 3 Check Local Listings

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 8: @ Providence - 4:30p Sat Dec 3 Check Local Listings

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Shinze88 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:Fuck EC Matthews. He fucking SUCKS.

Takes two step back threes against Ryan fucking Fazekas.

Fucking pathetic.
What a fucking disgrace this post is, you really are a piece of shit

Thank you.

I call it how I see it.

Try and argue with me I'd love to hear it.
1 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I thinking I pulled a muscle patting myself on the back...after surviving a punch to the gut with another loss to PC. (Gosh, I cannot stand the Friahhs). I believe a few months ago...

1) "Hey, URI's is in all the pre-season rankings! They must be good." - My reply, pre-season polls mean nothing. Get back to me in mid-season.
2.) "Pre-season polls are great marketing, gets people excited, boosts tickets sales!" - My reply, winning gets people excited and winning will get people to the games.
3) "EC was fully cleared to play, he's back and healthy, he looks great in these mini-video snippets i see on the internet." - My reply, EC may not be the same EC. Be careful about expecting too much.
4) "Yeah, but Adrian Peterson came back from ACL surgery. Guys recover all the time from this stuff." - My reply, Adrian Peterson is a pro-athlete, with millions of dollars in the bank, with all the first class training and recovery methods available to NFL player 12 months of the year, day after day...and a freak of nature physically. He's an exception, not the rule, when it comes to recovery. EC is a 21-year old college kid with basketball, school, his health, and his future are swirling in his head. I expect EC to struggle, especially early.

The fact is Hurley's offenses have not improved. There is very little creativity and imagination. Score 60 points a game? Not going to win much that way. The team plays hard. However, I think most teams play hard. Do they play smart? Can they play defense without fouling? Do they do the little things? Can he and they make the right decisions at the right times? Do they have the fortitude to win a hostile environment?

Do I think there's talent? I sure do. Is it being utilized to its max? Is the coaching staff motivating, tweaking their ideas and system to accommodate that talent? Is the in-game coaching as good as you'd thought it be? Is complaining about officials by the coach and fans a distraction to what the real issues are? You be the judge.

I'll say this. There's a lot of basketball left to be played. It can still be a successful season. But they've dug themselves in early hole mentally and an early NCAA-resume hole as well. It's going to be tough to climb out from. But there's time. Can they do it? We'll find out...although a part of me is afraid to watch.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody PTSD in full effect.
We can't have anything...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's funny...I'm not even mad....sad and depressed more like it.....I knew this was coming though...just tough to take....

60 points. What a joke....This loss is on all of them......coach has no answers when it gets tight......some players not performing whatsoever....this team is a mental case, coach likely is too.....

There will be more losses like this coming...count on it.....we don't have a clutch player in the building......the coach is overmatched at this level...

Even if EC plays better, won't make much of a difference...the other coaches in conference know Hurley well by now.....

As for attendance, 5000 average at best....

Last but certainly not least, we aren't as talented as people think.....certainly not mentally top to bottom.....
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

rambone i disagree on not having a clutch player, i see tremendous growth in JT in this area. only my opinion of course but i think he is really blossoming into a force.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Big difference between playing hard and playing smart.

And if you can manage to do both, you contend, and win.

URI clearly still not there, and it stings especially hard this year...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Observations

A. the refs really did suck but its not their fault we didnt win the game, maybe I underestimated PC's home court advantage from this perspective
B. cant believe we still dont have a coach who can draw up plays
C. EC does not look like a potential NBA prospect, right now he doesnt even look like a plus player at this level of D1

This one hurt, especially with the drive down from Boston and last minute ticket price, but the sky isn't falling
Season isn't over, but this team and coach need to get a lot better if we want to break that nearly 20 year absence from the NCAAs
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RamFanCO19 wrote:HahahahahHAHAAHAHAHHAHA WHAT A BUNCH OF LOSERSSSSS YOU ALLL ARE

GO FRIARS - PC owns you losers
And fuck you.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

OK, I've calmed down enough to write.
So, EC MATTHEWS IS OH for HIS CAREER ON LAST SECOND SHOT!
Takes a key 3 at Valpo, shits the bed today.
3-13 and 1-8 from 3, so of course, take the last shot.
There was enough time left for a foul to be comitted after the shot.
He never looked around after he got the ball, instead rushing up a contested air ball.
I'm so sick of us at the end of games.
Other than Xavier Munford, NOBODY ever hit a last possession shot under Hurley.
I want Jared Terrell with the ball at game end.
He's unafraid and doesn't wilt under pressure.
For the second straight game, our horse, Hassan, takes all of 10 shots,
and a couple were putbacks.
You mean Hurley couldn't draw a play for him?
17 rebounds!
We made Cartwright look like Steph Curry in the first half.
I praised the bench after the first half.
Guess what? ZERO points from them in the 2nd half!
I'm tired of hearing every year, that THIS TEAM IS THE BEST SINCE 1999!
This one is no different than the last three overhyped Hindenburgs.
All we do is crash and burn amid a mountain of excuses.
This year was put up or shut up.
STFU!
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Remember when we were suppose to be good? Lol....

Any P5 program want Hurley??

Take him.

We'll be in the same spot as we are now.
1 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Keep thinking about the line from Christmas Vacation

"But he worked really hard Granpa..... "

(So do washing machines )
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhodys Relevant, agree on JT but other than Hassan our other key players are underperforming.....

Agree with playing Akele and Thompson more, along with SR.....KI is mentally out of it for some reason.....

Also, play the backup bigs...EC needs to sit, he's hurting us way more than helping....
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, this team, other than a few players, has nowhere near the talent of the late 90's teams.....

Their mental makeup is very suspect, along with the coach's......

And to think, most on this board really hoped DH would stay when Rutgers came calling....what's the feeling now?

Nobody's going to want him.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The coach gets decent players (more talent than PC right now), but he doesn't bring any "plays." He gets them to play hard...but doesn't have ANY freekn PLAYS... JT is far and away the stud on this team right now. Thought CT and Akele contributed tonight. In fact, for all the KI detractors...might not be a bad thing to see more Akele...if I remember correctly, he backed a guy down in the low post AND nailed a three, didn't he? Seems he could be a bright spot.

EC...absolutely wonderful human being, great guy, etc...just not adding anything to the team right now. Hate to say it, because he seems like such a nice guy, but he isn't adding anything. When was the last time anyone said, "gotta get EC back in there?" Forget about him leaving for the NBA or transferring, right now the bigger worry might be, "what if he doesn't?" Needs to be put on the bench...At his "best" right now, his impact is neutral..at BEST. Make him "earn" some playing time, he might actually react positively to the challenge...right now, he's getting PT for what reason? Sit him down for a while, make him prove he can score (or not) because that's what they need from him...otherwise...he's not helping.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I thinking I pulled a muscle patting myself on the back...after surviving a punch to the gut with another loss to PC. (Gosh, I cannot stand the Friahhs). I believe a few months ago...

The fact is Hurley's offenses have not improved. There is very little creativity and imagination. Score 60 points a game? Not going to win much that way. The team plays hard. However, I think most teams play hard. Do they play smart? Can they play defense without fouling? Do they do the little things? Can he and they make the right decisions at the right times? Do they have the fortitude to win a hostile environment?

Do I think there's talent? I sure do. Is it being utilized to its max? Is the coaching staff motivating, tweaking their ideas and system to accommodate that talent? Is the in-game coaching as good as you'd thought it be? Is complaining about officials by the coach and fans a distraction to what the real issues are? You be the judge.

I mean, a few months sounds nice but I was murdered mercilessly for years about how I felt DH handled the offense and end games with X, with X and EC, and EC. Murdered. You all know who you are!!
OK..that doesn't make me feel much better. Back to hope and pray.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Rod, this team, other than a few players, has nowhere near the talent of the late 90's teams.....

Their mental makeup is very suspect, along with the coach's......

And to think, most on this board really hoped DH would stay when Rutgers came calling....what's the feeling now?

Nobody's going to want him.....
To say their mental makeup, and that of the coach especially is "suspect"...is really giving them the benefit of the doubt...
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

EC doesn't need to freaking sit he needs a couple plays drawn up and practiced with picks that allow him to "attack the bucket" with that left hand. We also need plays to get Martin the ball in a position to score....

It's just like cfl had his own kid best shooter in the country and no plays to get him open. Will Daniels one of top 10 baseline players in the country. No baseline picks for him either. Motion, motion motion.

I can't understand why this is more of the same...infuriating!

So much talent on this team - running around on offense like a youth hoops team / wait no actually youth hoops teams run plays

I'm also when nuts when we threw the ball in play off the inbounds into the backcourt losing at least 4/5 seconds off the clock in the final minute. We got no plays to inbounds the freaking ball?

Get back to me when we know what we're doing....
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Tyson and Cat are not walking through that door...

This team would get its ass kicked by the 98 and 99 team.

EC needs to come off the bench.

Dan no longer gets the benefit of the doubt...I'm done with him until I see a real offense and some wins. Is Rutgers still interested?
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Guys like Cat, Tyson, Preston, and ARD were mentally tough.
They were winners.
I love Hassan, Terrell and Garrett.
So far, the rest are pretty mediocre.
I've always felt EC was not NBA material, yet
we heard bullshit about "lottery pick", and all the hype.
I'm sure he's a great kid who works hard,
but that doesn't make you a great player.
I think much of the hype came from Dan, though his media
friends.
Reminds me of every TV announcer praising CFL on what a great coach he was.
Funny, but most of us knew better.
Did anyone see ISU the other night?
Monte Morris was a Michigan kid we also recruited.
He's an All American, and a truly top notch player.
Kid is clutch and a leader.
Eh, why bother? Nothing changes in Kingston.
Big expectations, never realized.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RamFanCO19 wrote:Hey guys just so you know 7 in a row hahahahahaha hahahahahah
Agree...PC has it all over these guys.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

douche.jpg
Where are the MODs? Weren't we told that this site
would be monitored for trolls?
We have some clown spamming the board.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:EC doesn't need to freaking sit he needs a couple plays drawn up and practiced with picks that allow him to "attack the bucket" with that left hand. We also need plays to get Martin the ball in a position to score....

It's just like cfl had his own kid best shooter in the country and no plays to get him open. Will Daniels one of top 10 baseline players in the country. No baseline picks for him either. Motion, motion motion.

I can't understand why this is more of the same...infuriating!

So much talent on this team - running around on offense like a youth hoops team / wait no actually youth hoops teams run plays

I'm also when nuts when we threw the ball in play off the inbounds into the backcourt losing at least 4/5 seconds off the clock in the final minute. We got no plays to inbounds the freaking ball?

Get back to me when we know what we're doing....
They don't know what they're doing...and if you think EC "doesn't need to freekn sit"...I don't think you've been watching what everyone else has been watching. He's not adding ANY value right now...NONE. N-O-N-E. I really do think it might do him good to SIT and think about what he needs to do to warrant being out there and, instead of thinking about 'being EC' (whatever the bleep that used to be)...just be 'better than CT or SR..." that would be a great start.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Sorry I'm not gonna rag on a kid who destroyed his leg and fought his way back.

Not his fault he's stuck in a motion offense where he gets swarmed every time he touches the ball.

Nope I'm not gonna trash him.

Read the book, run some plays - get the poor kid a lane to the basket or at least some space to breathe.

This team is loaded.

But so is my Maytag.....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208 has really changed his tune...nice to see, bud......

Reality has a way of biting us in the ass........

I'm going to spend a LOT less time posting for a while....this isn't getting me anywhere....we all know the problems aren't going away anytime soon, since the coach isn't...

We desperately need someone who can run an offense...DH clear as day can not.....

Whatever the staff is "teaching" these guys in practice, isn't working.....either they aren't listening or what they are teaching them is lacking big time....

57, if this team is "loaded" as you say, what's the problem? Does the coach suck THAT bad? There isn't just one problem here, there are many....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not trashing the guy...just saying that, right now, he's not adding value...
You can't count on this coach to 'run some plays' for anyone. He doesn't HAVE any plays.

I think the only way EC gets 'back' is to... sit...get restless (and healthy).. and make stuff happen on his own, like he has something to prove ('cause he does). If you're going to wait for the coach to make it happen...it's just not going to.

Sad, but probably true....
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Dan Hurley needs to dedicate practices to working on OFFENSE
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Joe wrote:Dan Hurley needs to dedicate practices to working on OFFENSE
As someone that I have a great deal of respect for has told me...he should just grab some old coach that has some plays in his head and offer him free beers to sit on the bench next to him during games....that would be a big improvement.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamFanCO19 wrote:HahahahahHAHAAHAHAHHAHA WHAT A BUNCH OF LOSERSSSSS YOU ALLL ARE
GO FRIARS - PC owns you losers
RanFanCO19,
Gotta hand it to ya,
Interesting history you have here............
- Joined the KeanyBlue Board 1 week ago
- Have 18 posts but 6 of those 8 came after tonight's URI loss and are nonsense
- Love how you criticized the Go Local Prov article - now you would have me betting even money that you wrote it :lol: :lol:
- Love this one "I think the Holt/Hassan match up is going to be the best one, that's prob an even fight". Pretty far off on that prediction but then I am sure you knew that - just endearing yourself to the Board and the Mods so you could get to tonight post game
- Love how you saw Cole Swider on campus............right :roll: :roll:

So good one RamFanCO19. You pulled it off. Can't blame our Mods for letting you sneak in, you "won" if that is what you like to think of as winning

But a few serious questions:
- How long ago did you plan this ruse? A year ago? 2 years ago? 2 weeks ago?
- Was it worth it? I mean, are you sitting in your mother's house basement celebrating your success?
- Do you post on the PC Board? Could it be that you were once banned from this Board in the past and now were able to return? Hmmm
- What do you do for a living? Serious question, I'd like to know

And for me, I don't care if you get banned or not. Your whole schtick is rather odd, strange, obtuse, but amusing at least for now

glad our Board was able to being some joy and fun into your life :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Joe, he promised us that would happen...more uptempo,, more scoring....blah blah blah.....

Just more hollow promises.....I'm done with it....

I know I will get trashed for saying this, but maybe we need to lose about 10 games in a row....get Hurley on the hot seat.....or else he'll be here a long time, losing close game after close game......

I wouldn't be surprised if DH ends up with the worst record in URI history in games decided by 5 pts. or less...it's reaching the point of absurdity.....

There's no way he will last as long as JB, will he?
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Next year this is gonna cost way over $1m a year....

Just sayin...

Let's start with an inbounds play. Hell run the picket fence at "em.

We need scooter....

No more CFL for me....

Unless Dean Smith is avail!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Until Dan realizes he needs some help here.....what the fuck is Cox and Carr doing? Do they help? Can they help?

Do they know what they're doing? Makes you wonder....good night....
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Dean Smith died last year. Not available.
Tom Penders hung around the first year of
Dan's tenure.
Something happened, and things are or were frosty between Penders and URI.
I won't say anything about the assistants, because they may accuse me
of trying to get them fired.
Listen to Chris Disano's take after the game with Steve and Don.
He strongly suggested that Jared Terrell be the guy with the ball
at game end.
Could not agree more.
Chris knows his stuff.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree about Terrell (maybe JG, too). He seems to be the only guy unfazed and capable of doing something in the last moments of games. Only reason you can't say that so much about Hass is that, in order for him to be effective, someone has to get him the ball...and that would mean...well...you'd probably have to run something like a 'play'...so there goes that option....
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

1. Either CT or SR needs to be on the floor at all times defending the opposing team’s PG. JT can handle the ball on offense as he did in the second half of the Cincy game . Cartwright had a difficult time with CT on him tonight and had a cakewalk with JG on him. Plus having CT and/or SR in the game helps the offense because JT is able to defend an opponent's weaker guard and conserve some energy for offense.

2. Down late in the game, foul immediately. Not rocket science. Stop wasting time trying to get steals. 26 seconds left PC should be up 1 shooting pressure foul shots. Instead, 12 seconds wasted and an easy dunk.

3. Pick 7 guys to play and let them play so they can get into a rhythm. Constant subbing and trying to give your best players a break before a TV timeout has never worked dating back to Baron. Maybe the 7th guy changes game to game based on matchups so that 9 or 10 guys are used during the season but no need to play more than 7 in 1 game unless there is serious foul trouble.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......just got home after dinner on the Hill.....I have read some but not all of the posts.....each post points to various and similar conditions that are becoming more and more painfully obvious as the games continue.....bigly disappointed sure.....honestly kind of at loss for words.....this time the end of game situation should have have been with the ball in JT hands not EC.....maybe this was already pointed out by others.....he has earned it, period.....and maybe that "play" was called by the coach and everyone knew their roles to execute same, but shit happens, and shit results again.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI2006_Andy wrote:1. Either CT or SR needs to be on the floor at all times defending the opposing team’s PG. JT can handle the ball on offense as he did in the second half of the Cincy game . Cartwright had a difficult time with CT on him tonight and had a cakewalk with JG on him. Plus having CT and/or SR in the game helps the offense because JT is able to defend an opponent's weaker guard and conserve some energy for offense.

2. Down late in the game, foul immediately. Not rocket science. Stop wasting time trying to get steals. 26 seconds left PC should be up 1 shooting pressure foul shots. Instead, 12 seconds wasted and an easy dunk.

3. Pick 7 guys to play and let them play so they can get into a rhythm. Constant subbing and trying to give your best players a break before a TV timeout has never worked dating back to Baron. Maybe the 7th guy changes game to game based on matchups so that 9 or 10 guys are used during the season but no need to play more than 7 in 1 game unless there is serious foul trouble.
Last game we couldn't stop a virtual 1 man show in Valpo's big man Peters, tonight Cartwright was like a 1 man show and had a career high night scoring, 4-5 on threes, game high 8 assists and only 1 turnover.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I never thought URI was a top 25 this offseason. I was shocked when I first heard those rumblings.
They are not that talented (especially offensively). They were a bad team last year. Go check their record on the road.
I know EC was out and the excuse that Hassan was hurt. I didn't think EC would wave magic over the team.
I did think EC would be better than this for sure.
JT has improved and Hassan has delivered. That is it though. In their four competitive games they have played 1 really good half. That is it 1 out of 8. Because they aten't that good.
They don't have one pure outside shooter.
They don't have a player who is always better than his macth up.
They don't have a go to player on offense (JT is close). Not like Bullock was for PC down the stretch.

Their half court sets on offense are mostly just a weave. Poor coaching.
Their offensive possessions out of time outs are horrible.
Today they stood around on offense for the last 12 minutes.

There is a reason KI was on the bench at Memphis and Stan at IU. They can't shoot.

Rhody has average talent and average coaching. You should expect average results.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

UCH21377 wrote:This team needs to be turned over to Terrell, Garrett, and Hass. EC and KI need to come off the bench, with Robinson. Start Akele and Thompson. That way we have some scoring punch off the bench. Hurley will never do it.
Bingo.....game set match....dropping the mic....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not enough talent and a coach who is overmatched when the pressure is on...not a good combination eh?

So we've been sold a bogus bill of goods, thanks to the Hurley Hype Machine of Empty Promises......sounds about right......

We are doomed to more empty 18-20 win seasons with endless close losses to good teams, with occasional NIT's thrown in for shits and giggles......

Awesome.......
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I guarantee that RamFan CO19 is Sean.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When you run a shitty offense, you get 6 assists and 9 turnovers. 6 assists is an unbelievable stat for a college basketball team.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:I guarantee that RamFan CO19 is Sean.
I insinuated that in my response BillyBoy. Go to the PC Board and he is making his normal comments. Still does not understand why he got banned from here by the Moderators. It may not be him, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.......................
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Few assists usually means too much one on one, and too many forced shots......

That's what passes for our half court "offense"...very offensive indeed......

It's easy for opponents to defend statues.......

The thing is, there's times when we move the ball pretty well...and then it stops cold, usually late in games.......what the hell are the coaches doing to change it?
0 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

The two things that disappointed me the most in this game:

- Say what you will about EC not having the right plays drawn for him and being lost in the offense, and there were many many times where he just stood In the wing while the other four worked with and without the ball. I can't fault him if the play is for him to be a decoy (I really hope that was by design and not just standing around for no reason). BUT what I can't accept is that after the shot goes up, he is still watching, not moving. Not going for a rebound, not looking to get ready for defense. Nothing. Standing around watching the game play around him. My lovely corner seats in the Dump meant I had a perfectly good view to this time and again in the second half today.

- What does it say about this team, that with the game on the line, under 2 mins, we're switching offense / defense and taking out Jarvis and EC. Veterans. No foul trouble. They can't be trusted to defend well enough to win? On a defensively focused team?

Don't get me wrong, that was absolutely the right move for this game. Christion and Stan earned the right to be out there. And Akele played a helluva game until he got in foul trouble.

I know there's been a lot of debate here about whether our bench is good or not. I happen to like our second line, i think in some cases they are bringing more enthusiasm and confidence than some of our starters.

However, we're supposed to have our five best players on the court at the start AND the finish.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Billyboy78 wrote:When you run a shitty offense, you get 6 assists and 9 turnovers. 6 assists is an unbelievable stat for a college basketball team.
They have assisted on 46.7% of their made FGs, which is #279 in the country. They can hero ball lesser teams to death but you need 8-12 easy buckets per game off of assists against good teams. At least. That # goes back to 2002 and URI has never sniffed the top 100. You want a similarity between CFL and DH, that's it right there. And a huge light is shined on it at the end of games.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Few assists usually means too much one on one, and too many forced shots......

That's what passes for our half court "offense"...very offensive indeed......

It's easy for opponents to defend statues.......

The thing is, there's times when we move the ball pretty well...and then it stops cold, usually late in games.......what the hell are the coaches doing to change it?
What is the difference between "too much one on one" "too many forced shots" and "no offensive plays"?
There's either nothing drawn up, practiced and run, or...there is...and the players just aren't following directions?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Rhody83 wrote:I never thought URI was a top 25 this offseason. I was shocked when I first heard those rumblings.
They are not that talented (especially offensively). They were a bad team last year. Go check their record on the road.
I know EC was out and the excuse that Hassan was hurt. I didn't think EC would wave magic over the team.
I did think EC would be better than this for sure.
JT has improved and Hassan has delivered. That is it though. In their four competitive games they have played 1 really good half. That is it 1 out of 8. Because they aten't that good.
They don't have one pure outside shooter.
They don't have a player who is always better than his macth up.
They don't have a go to player on offense (JT is close). Not like Bullock was for PC down the stretch.

Their half court sets on offense are mostly just a weave. Poor coaching.
Their offensive possessions out of time outs are horrible.
Today they stood around on offense for the last 12 minutes.

There is a reason KI was on the bench at Memphis and Stan at IU. They can't shoot.

Rhody has average talent and average coaching. You should expect average results.
83, you just summed up what I was going to post.

After the game, I went out to dinner. Had a great time and hardly ever thought about this game. I'm not the least bit surprised about the outcome. That, in itself, is very sad.
Years ago, I couldn't eat or sleep after a loss to PC. Multiple years of bad coaching has changed my opinions about this program.
I've never seen any coach get as much mileage out of a name as Hurley has. IMO,.Dan, as nice a guy as he is, is over his head at this level. I don't see any improvement in his coaching style. I've had several back and fors over this with friends. Even lost a friend because of this.

I really can't blame the players for these losses. I never thought most of them were as good as advertised. Today, they played hard (for the most part). What more can we ask of these kids?
Looking at the roster, I feel that Martin deserves better than this. He has improved every year. Yet, he's an after thought with this coach who only seems to get excited over guards.
Right now, I see two quality players on this team. I give EC a pass because of his injury.
That being said, EC and KI do not deserve to start. Period. Their lack of production is hurting this team. But, I doubt Hurley will bench either.
Next year we lose Martin. As bad as we look now, next year looks worse.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Lots of things to be upset about, but I think it should be said that Jared Terrell and Hassan Martin are men. Proud of those dudes. They can play for me any time.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I can't believe we lost these two games like this after beating Cinncinati... that makes no fuckin sense. EC and Kuran have been terrible since!
How hard can it be to just go out and fuckin have fun playing basketball and play well when you have all the talent in the world like those guys.
EC looked great in the first four games. Then it's been just an incredible drop off.
I remember when we beat PC last.
Delroy James Keith Cothran and Lamonte Ulmer.
Marquis Jones hitting clutch free throws.
I was 15... I'm 22 now.
Which to me is quite a bit of time...I've been through high school and college since then.....
Im also a Tennessee football fan and we beat Florida for the first time since 2004 this year...so it could be worse...but nothing will feel worse than missing the big dance again....Please guys find a way!
This is some cruel and unusual punishment thus far though...
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Same old, same old Rhody. Glad I didn't waste money on a ticket. PC could be a bottom feeder in their division and still beat us. It's pretty sad when they lose two of their best players to the NBA and they can still beat us.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey