Week #4 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Week #4 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Oh no held ball? how much time? We got Cinci in the top 25 if this is over.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Huge win for Cincy at Iowa St.

Our win over Cincy is looking reeeal nice now isn't it?

The sky is falling!!
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RoadyJay wrote:Huge win for Cincy at Iowa St.

Our win over Cincy is looking reeeal nice now isn't it?

The sky is falling!!
I'm pretty sure everyone is in agreement if we can consistently play the way we did against Cincy then we're a very good team. It's whether or not that's possible.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Thank you so much Cinci!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cincinnati will be in the top 25 on Monday with tonight's upset win at Iowa state. 4 Cincinnati players with double figure points and 3 players with double figure rebounds on the road.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cinci very solid road win . I took them +7
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Remember who was on the floor most of the second half against Cinci. A guy that saw 6 minutes of action against Valpo.
Last edited by UCH21377 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hurley not playing Stan more against Valpo was a crime......if EC isn't all there, he needs to play less, and Stan more.....we have enough firepower to overcome EC's [lack of] production, as long as KI gets his head out of his ass and starts playing.....
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Slim pickings for Friday night action. In the only A-10 game, 6-1 Pitt meets 3-5 Duquesne in the City Game at PPG Paints Arena. Pitt leads the series, which began in 1932, by a 53-31 margin. 7 PM. On ESPN3.

Marist opens its MAC season at home versus Niagara. The Red Foxes are eyeing their third straight win of season. 7 PM.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Entertaining first half in Pittsburgh, Duquesne was down by 10 at the 6 minute mark and then by playing good defense and hitting some shots cut the Pitt advantage to one at the break.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a shocker Duquesne upsets Pitt 64-55 to end a sixteen year drought in the City Game rivalry. The Dukes accomplished this despite horrible FT shooting in waning moments when they went to the line four times - three one and one's and a double and came away with 2 points - which just showed how horrible Pitt shooting was at end.
Last edited by Obadiah 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Pitt had won this game 15 years in a row. Let's break another streak tomorrow!
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Also, Marist won its third in a row by beating Niagara, 72-66. Good night for URI RPI.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote:In a shocker Duquesne upsets Pitt 64-55 to end a sixteen year drought in the City Game rivalry. The Dukes accomplished this despite horrible FT shooting in waning moments when they went to the line four times - three one and one's and a double and came away with 2 points - which just showed how horrible Pitt shooting was at end.
:o :o :o :o :o
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That sure was a shocker as Pitt just won at Maryland easily
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A good game today you might want to watch is around noon UCLA at Kentucky. Kentucky favored by 10 but UCLA could surprise Kentucky. You should watch if only to get a glimpse of Freshman Lonzo Ball. I saw him live a few times in AAU ball after his Junior year in HS. He also plays with his two brothers on his HS team and his father is the Coach. Lonzo is amazing. Here he is a Freshman, playing for UCLA and leading the Nation in assists. Passing is not his only attribute either, plus he is 6'6".
From a passing standpoint maybe reminds a bit of Jason Kidd but much taller, much better shooter, good rebounder. Will be very interesting to see how well he does vs Kentucky on the National TV
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Action packed Saturday in the A-10 and besides the Ocean State Championship game, other games are:

Wake Forest at Richmond. 12 Noon. On ESPNU.

Central Florida at UMass. 1 PM.

Saint Joseph's at #2 Villanova. 1 PM. On CBSSN.

South Florida at GW. 2 PM.

Winthrop at Dayton. 2 PM.

Fordham at Harvard. 2 PM.

Bucknell at La Salle. 2 PM.

Illinois versus VCU in the HoopHall Miami Invitational. 3 PM. On CBSSN.

Mercer at George Mason. 4 PM.

Buffalo at St. Bonaventure. 4 PM.

Kansas State at Saint Louis. 8 PM.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Dartmouth at Boston College. 1 PM. On ACCN.

Brown at Central Connecticut. 1 PM.

Old Dominion at Towson. 2 PM.

Prairie View A&M at Houston 5 PM. On ESPN3.

Maine at Duke 5:30 PM. On ESPN2.

Holy Cross at UNH. 7 PM.

Belmont at Pepperdine. 8 PM.
1 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Richmond down 37-36 early in the second half. Hoping they can pull off the win at home vs WF
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Despite 15 TO's, poor 3 point and FT shooting, Wake Forest defeats Richmond, 75-67, by dominating the boards, 45-31.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Pollard is supposed to be back for Dayton today. It'll be interesting to see how he looks.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Not one of our opponents but UCLA beat Kentucky and put up 97 points against them.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:A good game today you might want to watch is around noon UCLA at Kentucky. Kentucky favored by 10 but UCLA could surprise Kentucky. You should watch if only to get a glimpse of Freshman Lonzo Ball. I saw him live a few times in AAU ball after his Junior year in HS. He also plays with his two brothers on his HS team and his father is the Coach. Lonzo is amazing. Here he is a Freshman, playing for UCLA and leading the Nation in assists. Passing is not his only attribute either, plus he is 6'6".
From a passing standpoint maybe reminds a bit of Jason Kidd but much taller, much better shooter, good rebounder. Will be very interesting to see how well he does vs Kentucky on the National TV

UCLA will be a force.
Huggy Bear pulls the upset over 6th ranked UVA.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The A-10 may be a one bid league this year...VCU getting hosed by Illinois. They don't have any marquee wins. Dayton is all banged up. They've lost a couple. We're in the dumps.
Yuck
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good call Ramster on UCLA

Also the A10 is awful. If we don't win the conference reg season we just aren't that good of a team
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote:Good call Ramster on UCLA

Also the A10 is awful. If we don't win the conference reg season we just aren't that good of a team
Spoiler alert: we aren't.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yesterday was not great day for the A-10 as the conference went 4-8 and none of the four wins amounted to anything. Also St. Joe's, VCU, and Saint Louis got hosed. When the best win of the day was GW's home victory over South Florida by one point, then you know it was a day of lowlights.

URI OOC opponents fared a little better going 5-3, but there were no marquee wins. Holy Cross losing at UNH, 56-53 and William & Mary's loss to Hampton, 79-69, were downers.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Things just keep getting worse. We're terrible right now. The conference is terrible. The A10 is looking to be a 2 bid conference the way it's going. Even if we made the dance this year, can you see us doing any damage with the way this team plays tight in big games? And people were calling us a 2nd weekend team. No way.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

On this last day of Week #4, Sunday action action includes;

GW versus Florida State in the 22nd Annual BB&T Classic held at Washington's Verizon Center. 4 PM. On CBSSN. The double header also includes Georgetown versus Elon.

Davidson at Charleston. 4 PM.

In OOC opponents action:

Marist at Quinnipiac. 2 PM. Can the Red Foxes nab their second conference win and one on the road?

Bowling Green at Cincinnati. 8 PM. On ESPNU.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dewayne Russell's first two games of the season were actually played at the Mohegan Sun in the same Tournament as us. I watched some of GCU's games there. He had to sit out the first two games on GCU's schedule this year due to the NCAA regarding his transfer a couple of years earlier.
Of course, his brother Daron was at the Mohegan Sun to see his future URI Rams team play but also of course to watch his Brother!!
Dwayne is a Senior at GCU

Majerle really wanted Daron to follow his brother's footsteps to GCU. Majerle attended Daron's AAU games and you can't miss him with the big GSC Letters on the front of his shirt.

As I have mentioned in the recruiting thread, I have seen Daron play and he is amazing. He was the player I really wanted URI to land this year, even if we land no other player, this was the guy I wanted.

GVU had a 1 point lead on Louisville at the half.

Here is write up of the game on Saturday from ESPN / Associated Press

No. 14 Louisville pulls out 79-70 win over Grand Canyon
12:42 AM ET Associated Press
PHOENIX -- Louisville coach Rick Pitino has played in the most difficult arenas in college basketball. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina.

He's faced some of the game's best guards through the years. Bobby Hurley, John Wall, Sherman Douglass.

Overcoming a dominating performance by Russell and Grand Canyon's boisterous student section, No. 14 Louisville escaped with a harder-than-expected, 79-70 win over the Antelopes Saturday night.

"It made us a much better team tonight," Pitino said. "Whether we go to Duke or Kentucky, nothing will be as tough an environment as this."

Pitino agreed to this rare road game against a small, private school out of respect for GCU coach Dan Majerle.

The Cardinals (7-1) won in a blowout the first game of the series a year ago at home, but faced a much more difficult challenge heading to the desert.

Grand Canyon's student section is secretly one of the best in college basketball, racing to their seats before the game to create a rave-like atmosphere .

After struggling to find an offensive rhythm in the first half, Louisville started to find the mark with good passing. The Cardinals hit 17 of 31 shots in the second half and had a 22-point advantage in the paint to pull away.

Deng Adel scored 15 points, while V.J. King and Ray Spalding added 14 each for Louisville, which played without 7-foot center Anas Muhmoud (concussion).

"Our passing was great in the second half," Pitino said. "That was the difference."

Missing three starters, Grand Canyon (3-4) led Louisville at halftime and kept the Cardinals close until the midpoint of the second half.

Russell was the reason.

The wispy 5-foot-11 senior weaved his way through Louisville's defense despite facing constant traps and double teams, scoring on pull-up jumpers and a pair of 3-pointers for 18 points by halftime. Russell closed it with a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to put Grand Canyon up 37-36 at halftime.

Russell kept his one-man show rolling in the second half, bringing the crowd to its feet again and again, including a baseline teardrop shot that appeared to float as high as the shot clock.

"Coach Majerle told me where the traps were going to come from, how they were going to defend me and I just did the best I could to execute the plan," said Russell, who hit 14 of 27 shots.

Louisville put together a short run midway through the second half to go up 10 and kept its cushion despite Russell's performance.

BIG PICTURE
Louisville had another rough night shooting from the perimeter and had a hard time shaking a small school that isn't in Division I yet. Not what the Cardinals had in mind on the trip to the desert, but there will be plenty for coach Rick Pitino to use in the film room and practice.

Grand Canyon schedules games like this -- it also has Duke and Arizona on this season's schedule -- to gain exposure and experience against big-time programs. The Lopes fell short, but will benefit in the long run.

POLL IMPLICATIONS
Scraping past a the Lopes could cost the Cardinals a few spots in the poll Monday.

UNEXPECTED LIFT
With the Cardinals struggling to get any kind of flow offensively in the first half, coach Rick Pitino turned to Matz Stockman.

The junior from Norway played a total of 15 minutes through the first seven games, scoring five points. He came alive when given the chance against GCU, scoring 10 points and grabbing three rebounds in the first half.

"I never I thought I'd see the day where I'd call timeouts and run plays for him," Pitino said. "But that's what happened and he executed it beautifully."

UP NEXT
Louisville hosts Southern Illinois on Wednesday night.
Grand Canyon hosts San Diego State on Wednesday night.
Never before had he seen a combination like DeWayne Russell and the rowdy Grand Canyon Havocs.
The Cardinals knew Russell, the Antelopes' blur of a point guard, would be able to score, yet had no way of stopping him, no matter what they did.

And as Russell continued to pour in shots on his way to a career-high 42 points, the students known as the Havocs pushed the Antelopes within reach of the biggest win in school history.

"I've never seen anything like it," Majerle said. "I've seen some great performances and that's the most amazing thing I've seen."
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Davidson gets spanked on the road at Charleston. Bad loss for them, 76-61.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

... and GW got their collective asses kicked against Florida State, 67-48. Ooooof.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote:Davidson gets spanked on the road at Charleston. Bad loss for them, 76-61.
Davidson had a 9 point lead at the half!! Charlestown out scored Davidson 46-22 in the 2nd half. I think that is a meltdown :D :D
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

ramster wrote:Dewayne Russell's first two games of the season were actually played at the Mohegan Sun in the same Tournament as us. I watched some of GCU's games there. He had to sit out the first two games on GCU's schedule this year due to the NCAA regarding his transfer a couple of years earlier.
Of course, his brother Daron was at the Mohegan Sun to see his future URI Rams team play but also of course to watch his Brother!!
Dwayne is a Senior at GCU

Majerle really wanted Daron to follow his brother's footsteps to GCU. Majerle attended Daron's AAU games and you can't miss him with the big GSC Letters on the front of his shirt.

As I have mentioned in the recruiting thread, I have seen Daron play and he is amazing. He was the player I really wanted URI to land this year, even if we land no other player, this was the guy I wanted.

GVU had a 1 point lead on Louisville at the half.

Here is write up of the game on Saturday from ESPN / Associated Press

No. 14 Louisville pulls out 79-70 win over Grand Canyon
12:42 AM ET Associated Press
PHOENIX -- Louisville coach Rick Pitino has played in the most difficult arenas in college basketball. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina.

He's faced some of the game's best guards through the years. Bobby Hurley, John Wall, Sherman Douglass.

Overcoming a dominating performance by Russell and Grand Canyon's boisterous student section, No. 14 Louisville escaped with a harder-than-expected, 79-70 win over the Antelopes Saturday night.

"It made us a much better team tonight," Pitino said. "Whether we go to Duke or Kentucky, nothing will be as tough an environment as this."

Pitino agreed to this rare road game against a small, private school out of respect for GCU coach Dan Majerle.

The Cardinals (7-1) won in a blowout the first game of the series a year ago at home, but faced a much more difficult challenge heading to the desert.

Grand Canyon's student section is secretly one of the best in college basketball, racing to their seats before the game to create a rave-like atmosphere .

After struggling to find an offensive rhythm in the first half, Louisville started to find the mark with good passing. The Cardinals hit 17 of 31 shots in the second half and had a 22-point advantage in the paint to pull away.

Deng Adel scored 15 points, while V.J. King and Ray Spalding added 14 each for Louisville, which played without 7-foot center Anas Muhmoud (concussion).

"Our passing was great in the second half," Pitino said. "That was the difference."

Missing three starters, Grand Canyon (3-4) led Louisville at halftime and kept the Cardinals close until the midpoint of the second half.

Russell was the reason.

The wispy 5-foot-11 senior weaved his way through Louisville's defense despite facing constant traps and double teams, scoring on pull-up jumpers and a pair of 3-pointers for 18 points by halftime. Russell closed it with a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to put Grand Canyon up 37-36 at halftime.

Russell kept his one-man show rolling in the second half, bringing the crowd to its feet again and again, including a baseline teardrop shot that appeared to float as high as the shot clock.

"Coach Majerle told me where the traps were going to come from, how they were going to defend me and I just did the best I could to execute the plan," said Russell, who hit 14 of 27 shots.

Louisville put together a short run midway through the second half to go up 10 and kept its cushion despite Russell's performance.

BIG PICTURE
Louisville had another rough night shooting from the perimeter and had a hard time shaking a small school that isn't in Division I yet. Not what the Cardinals had in mind on the trip to the desert, but there will be plenty for coach Rick Pitino to use in the film room and practice.

Grand Canyon schedules games like this -- it also has Duke and Arizona on this season's schedule -- to gain exposure and experience against big-time programs. The Lopes fell short, but will benefit in the long run.

POLL IMPLICATIONS
Scraping past a the Lopes could cost the Cardinals a few spots in the poll Monday.

UNEXPECTED LIFT
With the Cardinals struggling to get any kind of flow offensively in the first half, coach Rick Pitino turned to Matz Stockman.

The junior from Norway played a total of 15 minutes through the first seven games, scoring five points. He came alive when given the chance against GCU, scoring 10 points and grabbing three rebounds in the first half.

"I never I thought I'd see the day where I'd call timeouts and run plays for him," Pitino said. "But that's what happened and he executed it beautifully."

UP NEXT
Louisville hosts Southern Illinois on Wednesday night.
Grand Canyon hosts San Diego State on Wednesday night.
Never before had he seen a combination like DeWayne Russell and the rowdy Grand Canyon Havocs.
The Cardinals knew Russell, the Antelopes' blur of a point guard, would be able to score, yet had no way of stopping him, no matter what they did.

And as Russell continued to pour in shots on his way to a career-high 42 points, the students known as the Havocs pushed the Antelopes within reach of the biggest win in school history.

"I've never seen anything like it," Majerle said. "I've seen some great performances and that's the most amazing thing I've seen."
Just checked out some videos of their student section. It's unlike anything you would imagine a school like Grand Canyon University would have. Incredible.

Hats off to them, and it just goes to show you don't have to be a blue blood or name brand to make your arena a nightmare to play in as a road team.

Last edited by BPR2010 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:Davidson gets spanked on the road at Charleston. Bad loss for them, 76-61.
Davidson had a 9 point lead at the half!! Charlestown out scored Davidson 46-22 in the 2nd half. I think that is a meltdown :D :D

The A-10 is bad this year and our Rhody Rams are not helping. It very well may be 1-2 league teams in the tournament given the lack of OOC success.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Our "expected RPI" will suffer even if we play better......the A10 is dog meat this season.....

We will have almost no margin for error going forward...how many top 50 wins are there to be had? At this rate, how many top 100's?

In other words, we will have to beat the best of this conference...whatever that is.......something we haven't done much of....confident much?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

True it's looking like maybe a 2 bid league ?? Definitely not 3 conference is down
0 x