Game 7: @ Valparaiso - Tues 8pm ESPN3

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Re: Game 7: @ Valparaiso - Tues 8pm ESPN3

Unread post by josephski »

theblueram wrote:I don't think it's as much of the loss as it is how the team's demeanor was. Seemed like they didn't even want to play. From the start. If that game was a true rock fight, maybe the dialogue would be different. But it wasn't.
Exactly. I can live with losses but this one just removed all confidence I have in this team, mainly Hurley. We didn't play great against Brown, had a lackluster first half against Cincy, didn't play well against Duke (although I know some will argue that), and didn't play well against Belmont. A loss is one thing but this game showed all of Hurley's bad habits that many thought/hoped would disappear this season.

I know it's possible things will turn around and I have no doubt in the talent of our roster but now every game will be a question of what team we'll see on the court. Will it be the team we saw last night or the team we saw in the second half of the Cincy game?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Opto Guy, hmm team of all over 6'10"?
I'll take Kevin Durant as my PG, and invent the
"Rodney's no dribble offense."
Just pass over the top of everyone.
The Porzingas guy would be perfect on my
team.
Maybe I could talk Lamar into going clean?
Starting to like this idea.........
Then the ACLU would say I discriminated against
short players. I'd lose in court, and go bankrupt.
OK, nevermind.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

You take Andre Malone on the road and lose by 3 to valpo.

Iverson was a great rebounder last year. Idk what happened. I just have the image of him crumbling under the basket and Yelling for everyone else to box out.

If you lose to valpo and say "well valpo is a great team bla bla" -- you don't turn around and play dowtin those minutes. You try Berry when the team couldn't rebound to save their lives and his perceived defensive short comings don't matter because the other team is scoring at will.

Ugh. Hurley is Baron grumblings. Where is our hot start? We have the same record as our next opponent.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I honestly don't understand why Berry is not playing.

I saw enough out of him last year to see he should be at least getting some minutes.

Robinsons lack of minutes was a mystery last night too and if it's all because of his terrible first past I agree with what the others have said about causing players to play afraid to make a mistake.
3 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Robinson needs to play more, I think we're all in agreement on that.

I really like Robinson as a PG/facilitator on offense. Nice change of pace off the bench and clearly the second best facilitator on offense besides Garrett. Robinson's outside shot is iffy but I love his ability to get into the lane

Would take Gustys over Berry any day.
2 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I like Robinson too. He plays with confidence. I was surprised at his lack of minutes last night. We needed a pest on defense and someone to attack the rim. Stan has proven he can do both. Dowtin hasn't proven anything yet.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wonder if Robinson was being disciplined for some reason. No idea. Just a guess.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Hurley's gotta figure out who the best guard off the bench is and consistently give him 15+ minutes. I think that's Stan, but either way I don't understand going with a 6 guard rotation and giving the bench guys 6, 7 and 10 minutes. If we were playing a fast paced offense it might make sense but it's tough to get into any rhythm on offense when you're in for such a short time.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Coach better figure it out or we may have to T.P. the new B.M. (think about it old schoolers.) Just joking of course, but I like the fact that toilet paper wiped a bowel movement clean, beat 'Cuse went sweet 16. OMG! It's just a joke. Relax :lol:
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bottom line is Alec Peters killed us
Peters is the second leading scorer nationally at 25.4 Ppg
We knew he was excellent because we played them last year
Blame the coaches, blame the players but we couldn't stop him
He is 68-72 FTs for 94.4% and he went 10-10 against us
EC and Jarvis a combined 0-7 on 3 pointers
Robinson played 7 minutes and his only stat was 2 turnovers. One was a head scratcher, "what the??" Type pass that he threw right to the valpo player.
Can't have only 1-2 players doing well in s game and expect a win on the road to a good team.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

For real though, no one answered my question from earlier. Is there any reason reigning A10 defensive player of the year Martin was not guarding Peters in those key possessions?
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
josephski
Tom Garrick

skwalk47 wrote:For real though, no one answered my question from earlier. Is there any reason reigning A10 defensive player of the year Martin was not guarding Peters in those key possessions?
My guess is Hurley wanted to keep Martin out of foul trouble.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Toward the end of the game DH should have switched to Martin on Peters.....playing not to lose.....when you do that, you will......

End of story morning glory........
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

josephski wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:For real though, no one answered my question from earlier. Is there any reason reigning A10 defensive player of the year Martin was not guarding Peters in those key possessions?
My guess is Hurley wanted to keep Martin out of foul trouble.
I guess, but Martin finished the game with two fouls. Just doesn't make sense to me.

If I see Peters take Martin out to the Woodshed a couple of times at the end of the game the way he did Iverson, I could have dealt with this loss a bit better. I guess this gets back to that on court coaching question.
Last edited by skwalk47 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't think Martin picked up his first foul until late in the first half.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

theblueram wrote:This is Cooley's 6th year at PC. 3 NCAAT and an NIT. This is Hurley's 5th year at URI. 1 NIT which no one went to. Makes you wonder. Hell, 5 more years of this and we just gave birth to Baron again. With less NIT appearances.
Cooley inherited a functional program with players capable of competing in their league. So not only was Cooley a year ahead but he started several years ahead in terms of team personnel.

That said, Cooley has done exceptionally well with the program since his arrival.

Those who say, "Dan's a .500 coach" at URI are being (willfully) ignorant of the circumstances.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

PC was hardly a functional program when Keno Davis was fired.
They had two players go to jail for assaulting a student.
One dismissed for having a 15 year old in his room.
Academic problems team-wide.
The inmates were running the asylum.
Look at the roster on the first NCAA team Cooley had.
Played zone all season, because his roster was depleted.
Sorry, but as much as we may like Dan, personally,
Cooley is clearly the better coach.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Martin could not have helped with Peters. He would have taken him to the perimeter and gone by him. He went to the post with KI because he knew he had an advantage there and would have done the opposite with Hass on him. Hass is best at covering traditional centers, he isn't someone you want out on the 3 point line all game. Peters is a true stretch 4, instead of Hass when KI wasn't working we should have double teamed him and forced the ball out of his hands.

Another wrinkle as it relates to Stan and the question as to why he didn't play a lot -- that was sorta a homecoming game for him, spent 2 years in Indiana, probably had friends at the game. Furthers the head scratcher.
Last edited by bigappleram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We had no answer on the roster for Peters, sorry.

What we are capable of is scoring 66 points.

The good news is it's easily fixable. Push the ball and run a couple of plays when we can't. Any play.....

Please?
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You'd especially think Peters should have been doubled with one of guards when he was posting Iverson, since Valpo is not considered to be a good outside shooting team. I'll take my chances with another one of their players taking a three rather than Peters going one on one against Iverson down low.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:
theblueram wrote:This is Cooley's 6th year at PC. 3 NCAAT and an NIT. This is Hurley's 5th year at URI. 1 NIT which no one went to. Makes you wonder. Hell, 5 more years of this and we just gave birth to Baron again. With less NIT appearances.
Cooley inherited a functional program with players capable of competing in their league. So not only was Cooley a year ahead but he started several years ahead in terms of team personnel.

That said, Cooley has done exceptionally well with the program since his arrival.

Those who say, "Dan's a .500 coach" at URI are being (willfully) ignorant of the circumstances.
Cooley had a very nice benefit in that he was recruiting Kris Dunn for several years before coming to PC. This helped Cooley to land Dunn with the Friars.
Of course Hurley also leveraged his previous experience with bringing in players by the transfer root that he knew in HS circles, in particular Xavier Munford.
Cooley got a nice benefit when Dunn decided to stay on an additional year when most experts thought for sure Dunn was going the NBA route.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:Martin could not have helped with Peters. He would have taken him to the perimeter and gone by him. He went to the post with KI because he knew he had an advantage there and would have done the opposite with Hass on him. Hass is best at covering traditional centers, he isn't someone you want out on the 3 point line all game. Peters is a true stretch 4, instead of Hass when KI wasn't working we should have double teamed him and forced the ball out of his hands.
Was going to say exactly this. There is no chance Martin could cover Peters on the perimeter. Putting Martin on him would have been a huge mistake. I seem to recall a lot of people groaning about Hassan picking up dumb fouls guarding guys out on the perimeter in other games, and now they want to put Hassan on Peters. Makes no sense at all.
1 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

rodfromcranston wrote:Opto Guy, hmm team of all over 6'10"?
I'll take Kevin Durant as my PG, and invent the
"Rodney's no dribble offense."
Just pass over the top of everyone.
The Porzingas guy would be perfect on my
team.
Maybe I could talk Lamar into going clean?
Starting to like this idea.........
Then the ACLU would say I discriminated against
short players. I'd lose in court, and go bankrupt.
OK, nevermind.
I was poking fun at you, but an NBA team like this could actually work:

PG Giannis Antetokounmpo
SG Kevin Durant (fudging a little, he's actually listed at 6'9")
SF Al-Farouq Aminu
PF Kristaps Porziņģis
C DeMarcus Cousins

Would be wild to watch and I'd love to see your average NBA team try and defend them.
1 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

80s Lakers....6'9", 6'5", 6'8",6'9", 7'2".
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"I was poking fun at you, but an NBA team like this could actually work:"- Optimo

I know. So I turned it into an absurdity.
Still, I'd like to see the team of giants,you mention, play.
It would be an interesting experiment.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Billyboy78 wrote:80s Lakers....6'9", 6'5", 6'8",6'9", 7'2".
80's Celtics 6'4", 6'4" 6'9", 6'10", 7'0", 6th man 6'11" ........and sly williams GO RHODY
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Martin could not have helped with Peters. He would have taken him to the perimeter and gone by him. He went to the post with KI because he knew he had an advantage there and would have done the opposite with Hass on him. Hass is best at covering traditional centers, he isn't someone you want out on the 3 point line all game. Peters is a true stretch 4, instead of Hass when KI wasn't working we should have double teamed him and forced the ball out of his hands.
Was going to say exactly this. There is no chance Martin could cover Peters on the perimeter. Putting Martin on him would have been a huge mistake. I seem to recall a lot of people groaning about Hassan picking up dumb fouls guarding guys out on the perimeter in other games, and now they want to put Hassan on Peters. Makes no sense at all.
Yep, Adam...one of those guys. Don't see any value in Hass thinking about anything on the perimeter (anywhere near the 3 pt line)...doesn't matter if it's offense or defense. If he's around that area...it should just be 'on his way to gettin closer to the hoop'.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

EC is not as quick and not elevating as he did before his injury. The team expected EC to be the focus of the offense and is adjusting to others. EC's problems are normal following ACL surgery. Things will improve.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dan is starting to grind on me. "We got a little tight with our rotation."
Who is we? You are the head coach - you make all the player decisions.
This is your 5th year. Mistakes by the coach in big games aren't acceptable.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody72 wrote:EC is not as quick and not elevating as he did before his injury. The team expected EC to be the focus of the offense and is adjusting to others. EC's problems are normal following ACL surgery. Things will improve.
Why did the coach expect a player coming off ACL surgery to be the focus of the offense (especially when EC's problems are normal)?
If EC wasn't ready, the coach should have known from the month of practices and scrimmages he saw EC in from Oct 15th on.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We're already starting with the excuses...have the players ready to play....

I think the coach got a little tight, nothing new there......
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

EC DID look ready in the first two games. Regardless of the opposition, he looked individually, athletically, ready.
Can only assume he looked that way in 10/15 and on practice. Now, he just doesn't....maybe that's normal recovery peaks and valleys, but the fact is...he looked great...now, he doesn't...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

something happened between the Marist game and the Brown game. Two completely different teams.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

theblueram wrote:something happened between the Marist game and the Brown game. Two completely different teams.
Attachments
tubgate.jpg
4 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

EC's shooting stats:

Dartmouth - 9-12
Marist - 8-10

Brown - 5-17
Cinn - 5-17
Duke - 3-7
Belmont - 1-6
Valpo - 3-9

Something happened.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Agree with people thinking something happened to EC.
Agree we need to force the pace.
Agree we need to get more creative on defense. Can't let their best guy just beat you like a drum. The defense against Belmont was lousy also; don't care what excuse the coach made.
Agree that Stan Rob must play much more.
Agree that the coach tightens up, and the players right along with him.
Agree that we need to see more of the sub bigs; either Leysard or Berry.
Agree that Cooley is a much better coach than Hurley right now.
Agree that in the first few minutes, the team looked off/not ready to play.
Agree that as season ticket holders, passionate fans etc we have every right to expect better.
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agree with all...what you said 21377.......
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Now let's fix it and end this tepid bs gameplay. Act like a top 25 team.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......."no question......"21377
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I didn't get to see the second half, but what I saw during the first was very concerning. I swear i think we are averaging only 2 points for the first 5 min a game. EC looks lost and has no faith in his shot. His 3 pointers are not even close. Dan needs to learn some sort of offense...EVERYONE JUST STANDS AROUND! Where is the 40 minutes of hell(ish) we were promised?

1. Dan is not prepared for the moment
2. this team will not beat good teams without a good EC...without good EC we are just last years team.
3 the bench sucks. Dans last 2 recruiting classes so far suck. There is obviously a need and playing time available for one or more of the 3 bigs on the bench, but if Cyril is the best we have, then we may be in trouble in the front court next season and have no depth this year.

I know this is a lot of what has been said but it makes me feel better to bitch...
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 7 times in total.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, maybe it's just not the 40 minutes of hell we expected?
It's a different kind of 40 minutes of hell, though.
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Some of you guys really need to go back and find a way to watch some of the games or just look at the stats from EC's sophomore season. I don't think EC's sophomore year was that much better than Terrell's and definitely wasn't better in conference play. Terrell was also on an arguably worse team, if you read some of the posts from last year it was a much worse team.

Some of EC's stats from conference play: 39% from the field, 27% from 3, 72% from the line, 4.8 rebounds/game, 1.8 assists/game, 3.8 turnovers/game, 15.2 points/game

Some of Terrell's stats from conference play: 44% from the field, 36% from 3, 81% from the line, 3 rebounds/game, 2.5 assists/game, 1.8 turnovers/game, 15.2 points/game

Most of EC's high scoring games he took 15 to 20 shots, didn't shoot well and had a ton of turnovers. That was ok at the time because we really didn't have anyone else to score. He's not going to have the opportunity to have the ball in his hands as much on offense or take as many shots this year because he's not our only offensive weapon anymore which I think hurts his game.

I honestly believe Terrell is the best player on this team. He's more efficient on offense than EC, a better defender, ball handler and passer. We obviously need EC to play better going forward but I'm not sure if he should be the focal point of this offense anymore.

Edit: Or I could be completely off base with this and we need him to shoot 15-20 shots a game and that's the reason why we beat Cincy.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
theblueram wrote:something happened between the Marist game and the Brown game. Two completely different teams.
I swear if I hear anything else about the stupid tubs I'm going to smash something. Yeah, it's a dumb and Rhode Island-y thing, but honestly it isn't in the top-100 things I'm concerned about surrounding this program right now.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
I swear if I hear anything else about the stupid tubs I'm going to smash something. Yeah, it's a dumb and Rhode Island-y thing, but honestly it isn't in the top-100 things I'm concerned about surrounding this program right now.
I can't speak for seawight but in the context of the discussion of what happened to the team he posted a picture of a rubber ducky as a joke.
I doubt anyone here really considers tubgate to be what is causing the team to play worse than in the first few games of the season. Unless of course this season goes down the "drain"
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I know he was joking, and probably should have said that to avoid confusion. But it has definitely been raised as if it was a serious obstacle to overcome at other points.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What is going on with that Rubber Ducky ??

What is tubgate lol ??
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

TP - do really live a world now where we have to indicate that something is a joke? Take a deep breath ram fans, I think if we were honest with ourselves we were expecting 3 to 4 losses in what is a pretty strong non-conference schedule. Personally I expected 2 or 3 of those losses to look like the Valpo game. My solution - more JT at the end of games. He is the only guy I don't squirm a little in my seat when he has the ball.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we were as good as we all thought we were going to be, then we would have won that game......playing like we did against Valpo will result in more losses, either in OOC or conference games.....

Most of us thought we'd go 3-1 in this tough stretch of games, so we got the loss out of the way early.....but as was said, it's not just the loss, it's how we played....same old same old problems, especially on the road...

We also expect improvement as the season goes on....it's not a given though.....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I thought the TubGate Picture was pretty funny. There was no intent to bring up the Tubs as an excuse, only when another poster brought up that the team quality of play changed after the Marist Game and before the Brown Game.

It was the only attempt at humor in a very long, bad news 11 pages of messages.

We need more of this kind of thing, not less. Bressler? Bressler?

Heaven help this board if we lose on Saturday.................
2 x