Game 7: @ Valparaiso - Tues 8pm ESPN3

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Game 7: @ Valparaiso - Tues 8pm ESPN3

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Tuesday night at 8pm on ESPN3 (WatchESPN.com), Coach Hurley's Rams (5-1) travel to Valparaiso, Indiana in what will be one of their toughest tests of the young season. The Crusaders (5-1) beat the Rams last year in a matinee game which was featured on the ESPN College Hoops Marathon. The Rams, of course, were still reeling after learning that EC Matthews would be gone for the season.

KenPom's computer says this will be as close as they come, with the Rams a 53% favorite winning 68-67 in a relatively slow 67 possession game.

Valpo is rated 72 in KenPom vs Rhody's 38. The Crusaders have one non-D1 victory and their only loss was at highly ranked Oregon on Nov 17. They logged strong wins vs Alabama and BYU following that loss in two games that were vastly difference in pace. The win vs Bama was slow and low scoring (68-60), but vs the Cougars Valpo won a high paced (82 possessions) shootout, 92-89.

According to KenPom's stats, Valpo struggles offensively with effective FG% (285th in D1) and 3pt shooting (328th). They also tend to get their shots blocked quite a bit at 10.9% (253rd worst in D1).

Valpo is another dangerous OOC opponent which could stand as another quality win should the Rams pull out the victory. The Crusaders are presently trending towards a RPI of 84 per RPIForecast.

Valpo hosts Ball St on Sunday in a game they're heavily favored to win (80% 75-66 prediction by KenPom).
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: Game 7: @ Valparaiso - Tues 8pm ESPN3

Unread post by twisted3829 »

For once we'll be rested and the opponent gets short rest
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Alec Peters is the real deal but they lost a key piece of last year's team in point guard Keith Carter. I'm looking forward to seeing us really apply some defensive pressure on these guys, pressure that they haven't seen yet this year. They are prone to turning the ball over.

Besides Peters, we will have the advantage at every other position.

The BYU and Alabama wins don't impress me. Neither team is very good. BYU just lost to Utah Valley.

This is a non-Drew-led Valpo team that doesn't scare me. I say we handle them comfortably.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It may all come down to Peters. If he is able to dominate it will be a tough game.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Valpo game on espn3 today at 2:30.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thanks for the heads up!!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

They also have a guy, Hammnick who's 6'7 left handed and runs the point a lot of the time. He can drive and shoot pretty well. He will be an tough matchup.
Physically they can handle us. But I think if we bring the same amount of passion and defensive intensity as we did against Cinci I don't think we will lose.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I see this game as being key to how we do with the tough upcoming four game stretch. If we can get the win and get off to a good start in this span, success might follow (say 3-1). I however am worried that if this team loses to Valpo, it will add much more pressure and make things very tight. These players and staff have not handled such situations particularly well in the past. I would like to see this team play to its potential versus Valpo and avenge the home court loss of last season.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I will be very disappointed if we lose to Valpo. I hope they win today but don't find whatever little shooting touch they have.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Just looking at the Valpo box scores vs Alabama and BYU. They get to the FT line a lot - 21 vs Bama and 34 vs BYU. Worries me with Hass' and KI's propensity to get in foul trouble.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Valparaiso at Rhode Island
@ Kingston, R.I. (Thomas M. Ryan Center)
11/17/2015 at 10:00 AM

Valparaiso 58 Rhode Island 55

Box Score Link:
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 7_rbae.xml

Free throw shooting played a big part in Rhody losing last year as they shot 13-24 from the charity stripe.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We played HORRIBLE last year against them and they barely beat us.
We need to introduce them to EC Matthews
The proper way
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Forget last year. Two different teams.

I watched their game against Ball St today. They came back to get the win but trust me, this Valpo team can not hang with us. Peters may get his but we will shut everyone else down.

We will have a huge advantage at the guard positions and I think we will be just fine around the basket as well. Hass will do his best to contain Peters.

They have very little depth. Our style of defense is going to wear them down.

This game isn't a toss-up. We will win handily.

Please note we will have to deal with a couple of real Valpo homers on the ESPN3 broadcast. Will be nice to shut them up with a resounding victory.

Can you tell I'm confident in this one?
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
EastCTRam69
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by EastCTRam69 »

More than anything I'm disappointed they couldn't get this on some sort of actual TV channel. ESPNU is showing Georgia Tech v Penn St and ESPNEWS isn't showing anything at that time
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

860Rhody wrote:More than anything I'm disappointed they couldn't get this on some sort of actual TV channel. ESPNU is showing Georgia Tech v Penn St and ESPNEWS isn't showing anything at that time
More than anything I'm dissapointed that somebody copied my username. :|
This is gonna be awkward.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Peters was 11-12 from the line in both of their last two games. This season he is 40-42 (94%). Hoping Rhody doesn't foul him. Valpo shoots 81% from the line.
Last edited by Rhody83 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah. I think we will have our new member choose something else.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Rhody83 wrote:Peters was 11-12 from the line in both of their last two games. This season he is 40-42 (94%). Hoping Rhody doesn't foul him. Valpo shoots 81% from the line.
URI has played 10 halves of basketball this season, we've put our opponents in the double bonus in all but 2 of those halves and in the 2 halves we didn't put them in the double bonus, we put them in the 1:1, so its pretty much a given we'll be sending Valpo to the line, its just the way we play defense.
Last edited by Shinze88 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Valpo clung to the victory last year against such a lesser Rhody squad. Starters all have to focus on fouls when they play. Very methodical and in control. Duke style with spacing and controlled pace.

Then let the backups come in and hound the ball and get fouls.

That Kuran Iverson Hassan Martin connection is unstoppable. Iverson is big enough or fast enough with the necessary skills to get Hassan the ball in the deep block every time. Finally we have easy go-to offense that the other team has to lose sleep over.

Toss in the bevy of guards and guys coming off the bench bringing different skills and Rhody should stress all of their opponents out.

Force every team from here to the summer of '17 to shut down or inside game with KI and HM. Then everyone else confidently make those teams pay when those teams commit to stopping that inside game.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This starts the EC comeback tour - 3 opponents in a row that beat us last year minus Elbert. He has looked a bit lost at times, and hasn't found his flow yet with other playmakers now on the court, and coming off the injury. Any hopes we have at going 3-0 are predicated on his play improving.
It starts Tuesday, Go Rhody!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

BAR or anyone else notice that EC is often in the corner watching? Anyone recognize this as Jared Terrell's old stomping grounds? Sitting in the corner and watching? Waiting for the kick out 3? or the late in the shot clock pass?

Seems to me EC is playing in the slot for the offense JT used to be in.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Athletics–Recreation Center, also known as the ARC, is a 5,000-seat multi-purpose arena on the campus of Valparaiso University in Valparaiso, Indiana.

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We should beat Valpo and PC. That's what I'm expecting. Same for ODU. Houston, I'm not so sure.......

Shoot reasonably well, stay out of major foul trouble, and make 70% of our FT's.......

No problem, eh?

I think people are giving these teams a little too much credit.....we are better than them, but we have to prove it, and we haven't played a true road game yet.....that's my only concern.....of course that's a big concern
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think no problem - major roll started with Top 15 ranking within a month.
Just curious...did they go out to Valpo today, or not til tomorrow?
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I think no problem - major roll started with Top 15 ranking within a month.
Just curious...did they go out to Valpo today, or not til tomorrow?
They have practice tomorrow morning and then are flying out in the afternoon.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we have the revenge factor going for us here which is nice

I hope to heck I am wrong on this call but I will say Valpo 70-67
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Their forum is imploding based on my posts here... :lol: :lol:

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index ... pic=2695.0
2 x
runninrams5
Steve Chubin

Unread post by runninrams5 »

I think the key to this game is to feed Hassan early and often and keep him out of foul trouble. They don't have the big man Fernandez anymore and I just don't see anyone on that roster that can guard him. Maybe have Kuran take some time guarding Peters to ensure Hassan doesn't get into trouble.

URI 71
Valpo 67
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

runninrams5 wrote:I think the key to this game is to feed Hassan early and often and keep him out of foul trouble. They don't have the big man Fernandez anymore and I just don't see anyone on that roster that can guard him. Maybe have Kuran take some time guarding Peters to ensure Hassan doesn't get into trouble.

URI 71
Valpo 67

i see us being able to hold them off as long as we dont go cold shooting. Valpo needs to pick its poison...guard the perimeter and open up Hassan, or concentrate on Hassan and open up the shooters. Either choice, we can put up the points.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

When Peters gets the ball down low I say we try double teaming him and see how he handles that. Hass has a little trouble handling a double team so let's see how Peters reacts.
It is simple--if Hass stays out of foul trouble we win as I don't think they can handle him down low. I am hoping Hass and Kuran do not commit any fouls 15 feet from the basket.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RoadyJay wrote:Forget last year. Two different teams.

I watched their game against Ball St today. They came back to get the win but trust me, this Valpo team can not hang with us. Peters may get his but we will shut everyone else down.

We will have a huge advantage at the guard positions and I think we will be just fine around the basket as well. Hass will do his best to contain Peters.

They have very little depth. Our style of defense is going to wear them down.

This game isn't a toss-up. We will win handily.

Please note we will have to deal with a couple of real Valpo homers on the ESPN3 broadcast. Will be nice to shut them up with a resounding victory.

Can you tell I'm confident in this one?
Wish I was as confident as you. Brown and Belmont shouldn't have been able to hang with us and those games were at home. I have no doubt we're a better team but playing on the road is going to make this a difficult game.

If we play like we did against Cincy we'll win by double digits easily. If we play like we did against Brown or Belmont then Valpo will win.

Also our record over the past three seasons at home is 38-12 and 13-25 away. Obviously OOC home games against 200+ rpi teams inflate the home record a bit but it's still safe to say we play significantly better at home than on the road.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RoadyJay wrote:Their forum is imploding based on my posts here... :lol: :lol:

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index ... pic=2695.0
Same thing happens here when users on this board read other teams forums and don't like what they read. :roll:
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

URI is better this year; Valpo isn't. Result will reflect that.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I like Iverson on Peters. Last year 5 of his 12 shots were 3s against us. This year one-third of his shots are 3s. I'd rather have KI out there covering him.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Just think how much better KI is now compared to game #2 last year.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Kuran sometimes reminds me on Gil in regards to committing the DUMBEST types of fouls. It's maddening because the drop off from him to Akele is huge.

Need Kuran to improve his basketball IQ if we are going to compete and win games against tougher competition.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No doubt Kuran will draw Peters, who plays more on the perimeter than in the paint. Hopefully the Cincinnati Kuran shows up instead of the Duke Kuran. If he could ever find consistency it would add a valuable weapon to our arsenal.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

When Duke went small KI couldn't cover anyone. This is a better matchup.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Who we can recruit to perform the dot count for Valpo?

http://www.etix.com/ticket/p/7663876/va ... rand=valpo
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Doesn't look like the Rams are a big draw in Valpoland!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I fear Alec is a smart enough basketball player to draw a bunch of fouls against KI.
But I'm also pretty comfortable with Akele coming off the bench and playing defense against him on the perimeter.
Although, Peters would probably dominate him down low.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We must win this game. We are a much better team than last year and Valpo is worse.
Just stop Peters and just as with Belmont, shut down Valpo's 3-point shooting.

First point spread I have seen is URI -2 1/2.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Opened as a pick 'em and is now at URI -1.5
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Coach Lottich doesn't seem to know much about us... Hold on until the end for the awkward hand-shake with Todd Ickow...

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

That was one of the most awkward interviews I have ever seen.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This stat from the game notes jumps out at you

Using plus/minus, Rhody's starting five (Terrell +88, Garrett +63, Matthews +57, Iverson +55, Martin +53) is a combined +316.

As a lineup together on the court through six games (73:53 total), the first five is a collective +29.

We need much more from our bench. And Terrell has been the MVP through first 6 games.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Spread seems about right let's get this one !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI - 1 1/2 across the board today.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... las-vegas/
0 x