Game 7: @ Valparaiso - Tues 8pm ESPN3

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 7: @ Valparaiso - Tues 8pm ESPN3

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The Dude wrote:There isn't one single player, other than Jarvis, that knows how to properly box out an opponent. Hint: It's not using the upper body to muscle your way around someone.
My brother was a very good player and successful high school coach...and as he would say on this...when it comes to rebounding tools...there is a reason "asset" starts with the 3 letters it does...
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Does anyone else think Jim Barons mustache is a horcrux?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Nobody has been a bigger Hurley supporter than I have been during his time here, but everything is in place now. No more excuses for games like this. I don't care about the top-25 ranking, although it's too bad we will lose that. What I care about is our team never quite putting it all together, never having a good plan, never passing the eye test as a good team against good competition. Our guys are too talented and work too hard (much to Hurley's credit) to send them out into these proverbial gun fights armed only with proverbial knives. With respect to the floor game, we get outcoached too frequently. I don't know what we can do about it, but if the plan was to just out-talent everyone on our way to 26 wins it doesn't look like that is going to work.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Keatgsr07 wrote:NYG208, this time last year you riled me and others up with your blind optimism - the squad's wearing on you. Sorry.
Eh, no apologies necessary, I could use some blind optimism about now.
I'm in wtf-land, thinking I dropped good $$ on tickets for Saturday....pttth.....
But...my son wants to go...and I want to see that guy happy.. so off we go! :lol:
0 x
RamFaninSF
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamFaninSF »

If they don't have some sort of zone defense ready for Saturday, I might loss my mind. Steal a few easy possessions on D as they try to figure it out.

If Akele is really as good a 3pt shooter as he's shown in small quality he needs to shoot more, and could be solid stretch 4 of the bench. Why does it seem like Berry is dead to Hurley? Let him rack of some of the fouls, and he did have double digit games against Dayton and UMass last year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, it's just all so frustrating...the more things change, the more they stay the same.....

It's becoming clear that imo at least, our second line "talent" maybe just isn't that talented.....overrated it seems like....nothing new there huh?

The same problems that have plagued this team from the beginning in DH's tenure here, are still here....no improvement...standing around on offense....no coherent late game strategy....and now even the defense is regressing.....

The signs were there even before tonight.....way before.....we have more or less the same characters, and the same coach.....

The thing that bothers me the most though, is even if we had more talent, more depth, would it matter?

Getting the most out of what they had, was a strength of Al Skinner....Penders...Harrick....certainly not a strength of DH.....

And bravo TP, I think you've got it......if we flop this year, Hurley needs to get called out....like you said, it's not working....talent or not
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
The Dude wrote:There isn't one single player, other than Jarvis, that knows how to properly box out an opponent. Hint: It's not using the upper body to muscle your way around someone.
My brother was a very good player and successful high school coach...and as he would say on this...when it comes to rebounding tools...there is a reason "asset" starts with the 3 letters it does...
I think the chorus in this song explains it well.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Zone defense is good for protecting players with foul trouble,
and resting guys when you have a short bench.
There's no sin in playing zone now and then, as a situational
defense.
It's also good if you have a team that can't shoot,
like Valpo.
Cooley did it three years ago for those reasons.
To shun it, because your dad didn't like it, or
it's not macho, is ridiculous.
Actually, Bob Hurley has written that he does use the zone to confuse his opponent,
or for a change of pace. Contrary to popular belief, that he never uses a zone.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

As far as Dan Hurley, I think most of us like him quite a bit. But he is making a lot of money to coach this team with little to show. Nothing to show as far as NCAA tourneys. It is part of the business. He gets more than enough credit many times, so when he deserves criticism, so be it. It's part of the business. We talk highly of Cooley here, but a few of my PC fans can be very critical of him at times. Rick Pitino catches slack at times. It's the nature of the beast. We all want better from our teams, players, coaches. And as a Rhody fan, and in my case one for a very long time, it's difficult not to blow off steam at moments like this. Dan's a big boy, I am sure he's not above criticism when it's justified. Coaching is a difficult business. High reward, high risk. Again, I have to keep pumping into my head, it is only one game in November and a long season ahead of us. And it is just that. Not time to jump off a bridge yet. But for the moment it's difficult to be optimistic after a game like that. Valpo is not a terrible team by no means, but for the program to make the jump we reluctantly expect, you really have to win games like this, whether its November, December or January.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

rodfromcranston wrote:Zone defense is good for protecting players with foul trouble,
and resting guys when you have a short bench.
There's no sin in playing zone now and then, as a situational
defense.
It's also good if you have a team that can't shoot,
like Valpo.
Cooley did it three years ago for those reasons.
To shun it, because your dad didn't like it, or
it's not macho, is ridiculous.
Actually, Bob Hurley has written that he does use the zone to confuse his opponent,
or for a change of pace. Contrary to popular belief, that he never uses a zone.

There is nothing wrong with a zone. We have seen they can guard man to man when they want to. That's a Bobby Knight, Coach K rule. Not to be critical, but we are not Duke or Indiana of the past. Cooley still utilizes it at times. Boeheim has made a living playing it strictly. Nothing wrong with his record. It can be confusing or something different to the opponent, especially coming for us. It also can cover up some deficiencies like Iverson trying to guard Peters. Depends on the opponent, on the game. But when the man isn't working very well, where's the harm? Just stay with something that isn't working? If the zone fails flat after a couple of minutes, go back to man. Don't have to use it every game or for long periods. But its certainly something to considering throwing in.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Giovanni, it's called improvement. If we were improved, we would win games like this, or we should.

I do question our overall talent, but we clearly had more than Valpo, except for one glaring exception.....

Good coaches take advantage of this....Dan did not, and he does not....

As for Cooley, when he was at Fairfield, he had a rep of not being able to win the big games, although he had a good record there overall.

Well, he's changed that at PC.....he's improved certainly....unlike our coach.....
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Can I ask everyone to come off the ledge please? Seriously people. After the Cincy game and even the Duke game, people were feeling good and positive. Now a week later, a total 180.

1) It's one loss. The season is not over. It won't be over on Saturday regardless of the score. Long way to go.
2) URI could win the A-10 title. Seriously, they could. For the first time ever. Would you take that? Would you be excited? Would it be nice to see an A-10 championship banner in the Ryan Center.
3) Is Dan's in-game coaching suspect? Yes. Is this team's offense still anemic? Yes. Is his constant whining on the sideline grating on all parties? Absolutely.
4) Did folks on this board eat up the pre-season hype? Yup. The higher one climbs, the longer and harder the fall.
5) Does it feel like Groundhog Day at times? Yes. But then there's opposite. Remember beating Syracuse in the pre-season on the road. Going 15-3 (or something like that) and getting into the rankings. And then a crash and burn in February. Do you want to be hot early or be hot late? I'll be hopeful that they get hot late.

So yes, there are negatives and it's OK to vent your frustration. But the teams that don't get too high when they win nor too low when they lose are the teams (and people) I like. So I'm just asking people not to dissect each and every game likes it's Armageddon. Wait for the big picture, look at everything in context, and then draw your conclusions at the end.

I've been accused of being negative when I'd like to think of myself as a realist. I never thought the pre-season hype/ranking was warranted, deserved, or even beneficial. Instead, optimists should stop being optimists and pessimists stop being pessimistic. Keep it all in perspective and let's stay in our lane instead of swerving all over the road.
Last edited by PlayMikeMotenMore 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We were A-10 Champions in 1999.
Did you forget Lamar's shot vs. Temple?
Nobody remembers who won the regular season championship,
just who won the tourney.
I think the problem here is, people buying into the hype,
every year except Dan's first year.
Oddly enough, that was his best coaching job,
getting the max out of Xavier Munford and not much else.
Many here consider me to be negative.
I write on what I see. I consider myself a realist.
Some just want to see through rose colored glasses or
think,maybe everyone should be a fanboy and be quiet.
It doesn't work that way. Sorry.
As I said in an earlier post, we've seen this movie too many times before.
Will the ending ever change?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Too many recurring disturbing things happened tonight.

Yes, while it's only one game like PMMM just said, it's just the start....we wait for things to change...and wait....and wait....and wait......

If DH doesn't get us to the Dance this season, imo he never will...and that's my story and I'm sticking to it....
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Called this after the Brown game.
josephski wrote:Call it a trap game, bad game, lack of effort or whatever but this game showed the same issues we've seen in the past. Lack of big men, lack of depth, too many fouls, no flow to our offense at times and poor free throw shooting. It's not even like Brown was playing incredibly well, we were just bad. I'd like to think that will be our worst game of the season but it's definitely not comforting seeing us play like that against a team picked to finish last in the ivy league. Also calling it a rivalry game is being generous. We were 18-2 in our past 20 meetings before last night and 104-53 all time.
Terrell looked like the only guy who belonged on a top 25 team. I'm not sure what happened to EC after the Cincy game. Scores 18 points on 17 shots with big 3s at the end of the game then all of a sudden looks scared to shoot in the next 3 games.

Hurley just doesn't look like a good coach. The whining on the sideline has been old for a couple years now and he doesn't know how to adjust his game plan during games. I also don't get why we all assume he going to become a great coach. Yes he carries the Hurley name but his father never even coached college basketball. Dan previously coached high school, 2 years at Wagner and then came here. Not exactly the experience that makes you think he's going to be a great coach.

Still think we can go 3-1 over this four game stretch but there's very little room for error in our schedule especially with the a10 having a down year.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Can I ask everyone to come off the ledge please? Seriously people. After the Cincy game and even the Duke game, people were feeling good and positive. Now a week later, a total 180.

1) It's one loss. The season is not over. It won't be over on Saturday regardless of the score. Long way to go.
2) URI could win the A-10 title. Seriously, they could. For the first time ever. Would you take that? Would you be excited? Would it be nice to see an A-10 championship banner in the Ryan Center.
3) Is Dan's in-game coaching suspect? Yes. Is this team's offense still anemic? Yes. Is his constant whining on the sideline grating on all parties? Absolutely.
4) Did folks on this board eat up the pre-season hype? Yup. The higher one climbs, the longer and harder the fall.
5) Does it feel like Groundhog Day at times? Yes. But then there's opposite. Remember beating Syracuse in the pre-season on the road. Going 15-3 (or something like that) and getting into the rankings. And then a crash and burn in February. Do you want to be hot early or be hot late? I'll be hopeful that they get hot late.

So yes, there are negatives and it's OK to vent your frustration. But the teams that don't get too high when they win nor too low when they lose are the teams (and people) I like. So I'm just asking people not to dissect each and every game likes it's Armageddon. Wait for the big picture, look at everything in context, and then draw your conclusions at the end.

I've been accused of being negative when I'd like to think of myself as a realist. I never thought the pre-season hype/ranking was warranted, deserved, or even beneficial. Instead, optimists should stop being optimists and pessimists stop being pessimistic. Keep it all in perspective and let's stay in our lane instead of swerving all over the road.
I'm going to jump. One more loss and I'm over the edge. Don't come any closer. I'll do it. EC, Iverson.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

haha ;)
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
The Dude
Tom Garrick

In my opinion, EC has faded into the background because of two reasons. The first is that people are going out of their way to make sure they guard him well. The next is that Rhody is a team that, in my opinion, has not learn how to simply distribute the ball to open man...no mater who that person is. They also don't move with one another off of the ball...meaning guys ball watch instead of working together to find gaps and give one another numerous passing options on offense.
You know what I love about Dowtin....yes, the freshman Dowtin.......it's the fact that he passes the ball with some urgency. He makes a decision with the ball and zips it over to his teammate. This creates more time for a teammate to shoot. It keeps a team in a good flow and rhythm. It makes stealing the ball more difficult for the opposition. It's one thing I like about the guy thus far. Rhody needs to do that more as a team. They need to box out better as a team. They need to more into space and cut to the back door when guards penetrate to the lane. If this team just "plays ball" and stops over thinking every little move, they'll go far. It's almost as if there is too much structure. Sometimes you just need to play and sharing the ball quickly and consistently is the only way to build good chemistry.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This PC game is a big one for us. If we lose say 2 more OOC games it puts pressure on us to win about 14 games in conf
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

It's annoying to get costly technical fouls at key moments in every close game by the head coach. You are not making it easier on these players. Also you are not firing them up because it ALWAYS happens. Also not going to get a close call because it ALWAYS happens. Sometimes a tech by the coach can fire up a team...I think it fires down ours because it happens so much and is just giving points away.

Dowtin looks very slow out there to me. However didn't he have an ankle injury...that may be it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan needs to take a lesson in offensive basketball......his half court sets are too easy to defend.......

Where was the uptempo style that was promised? Too much standing around....it's like a disease that won't go away from the previous coach....

We played right into Valpo's hands....terrible.....no adjustments on defense...tentative on offense...it never ends

One of the worse coaching jobs in memory, and that's saying something....DH needs to get ripped a new one by the media, of course he won't, they're his buds.....privately you wonder what they think of his coaching......

Oh well, on to another close loss on Saturday, I keep waiting for Hurley to prove me wrong,....and he never does

He's overmatched on the big stages......sadly
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Or sour grapes but what I saw last night was every time Valpo took it to the hole they were bailed out with a foul, either real or imagined by the refs. Then in the second half, the defense was looser as a result of a freakin whistle being called on every other trip down the court. I do not know what the answer is, but I don't see the refs changing. I think we play aggressive and very good D but need a way to combat refs that are ruining college basketball generally (too much game stoppage in almost every game you see). Our style does not fit this new landscape.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

wish I had time to read every post in this thread this morning, I don't, so I'll keep my comments short. First , others don't care as much about it, but I wanted us to be top 25 all season long, it says something, it changes everything to have that kind of non-stop press, it gives a program clout. Now it's unlikely we get back in there at all this season, unless we reel off the next say 7 in a row. Second, home or away, the best team in the A10 shouldn't lose to the best team in the Horizon, nothing against the Horizon, but, it probably says either we're not the best A10 team or this will be a down year all around for the A10.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good point RR.

What this game says, is that we will play down to our opponents level if they are at all close to us in talent. Especially on the road.

And that means losses. Same old same old. We will do whatever it takes to lose......something different every time.

Right now we have about 3 players who are playing well. We still don't have anyone who is clutch in close games. Good teams win games like last night's, somehow some way....

This team has zero confidence also.....more pain and suffering to come......

We are now 1-1 in close games.....I said we needed to go 7-3 or thereabouts to Dance......good luck with that
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We were at the free throw line with a chance to tie the game, and miss the front end of a one and one.

Then, we're down 3 with a chance to tie the game and don't even get a shot off.

How many goddam times have we since this before, regardless of who our coach is?

Same shit over and over again.
1 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i think the reason why myself and others on this board are so fired up is that we realized last night that we are not watching a top 25 team

this is humbling.

now, having said that, we all know we can play much better

the PC game looms large

time to win and finally beat them and right this ship
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Free throws didn't cost us this game.......poor game long execution did.....if we play halfway decent, we win the game...that's what's so aggravating....that's the same shit that happens over and over again.....

This is on both the coach and his players.....there's a disconnect somewhere....we also can't blame this on EC's health.....

The same problems have been there since day 1 of the Hurley Error.....inability to win close games for whatever reason.....

The vaunted 9-10 man rotation doesn't exist...AGAIN.....lack of talent, or coaching, or both? Where was the pressure, the running, trying to take the opponent out of their game? We played to Valpo's strengths, not ours....we suck at half court offense, and that's not going to change because it never has in Hurley's time here....

We stand around, we lose....bottom line....
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......well after some time to step away from the game; here is what I am left with......the defense; apparently the kids are coached to pressure the ball at mid court, max effort to expect that will disrupt the opponents offense structure to take away their sets......and therefore create the deflect, steal opportunity and turn that into offense.....when that doesn't work we seem to have no backup to defend the sets that are successfully run by the opponent. More importantly, when we have to kick it up a notch or two, either there is no coaching adjustment other than asking for more effort.....more effort from kids playing major minutes.....see, I thought this style of max effort man defense would work ONLY when the deep bench could come in games in waves of fresh players to sustain the disruptive efforts.....seems like the defensive has little adaptation to take away the opponents main offensive threat....offense; I had mentioned earlier that when a team takes away EC, or he is off, other than JT have have no reliable game in game out option.....do I see us standing rather than player motion away from the ball.....YES.....for teams zoning us, it is easy to zone stationary players.....end of game situational offense, more of the same, unfortunately we have apparently no solid execution to get a good look at the hoop....coaching; in lump sum, less than desired and way less than I expected.....we go to the Dunk with little confidence and more importantly more pressure....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There is a vast gulf between our coach and some others....did anyone catch some of the Wisconsin-Syracuse game last night?

Talk about a team dismantling a zone.....great passing and ball movement....Wisconsin put on a clinic...first year coach too.....and they ran all over Syracuse whenever possible....

That's a very well coached team...ours? We look like an elephant giving birth...it's not a pretty sight.....

105, good observations.....Hurley needs help running an offense....does Cox have a clue, or input? Old news of course, but relevant.....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ah, road wins. The mark of a good team.
Tom Penders' teams were known as "The Rhode Warriors".
He actually took a home game with vaunted West Virginia,
and moved it to Madison Square Garden in NYC.
His team had swagger, and reflected their coach.
He took a team that had a grind em out, half court offense.
He looked at them in his first practice, and realized he had
ATHLETES. Ones who could run the floor on offense, and press on defense.
Plus, they loved to run and gun. They were set free.
It was entertaining to watch and got results.
I look at this team and guess what?
WE HAVE ATHLETES. Let them loose.
We never attack the hoop. Instead, we hold up and wait for the D to catch up.
I asked Dan about that a couple of years ago, about that and resetting after
an offensive rebound,instead of going back at the rim.
He said that was how he wanted it.
Well, good teams attack the hoop, when the defense isn't set.
It only makes sense,
Why give the defense a chance to get into position?
Think about it.
I watched Dan do a chalk talk on some of his set plays.
It made me dizzy. It was so complex.
I'm not advocating the Jerry D mentality of roll the ball out,
and sit back to see what happens.
However, there is a happy medium.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....on to EC; can't begin to put that under the scope.....so I won't.....but I did note from last nite the game talkers said, when EC would attempt to drive into lane or his approach to his shooting zone, they said, "he was cut off".....apparently by another defender coming off his man/area to help on EC.....how are the kids being coached to react to that; move, get open, move to open space, cut to hoop, set another high ball screen??.....I don't know.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah Rod, what we are watching is Brenden Malone part 2.......Dan is wasting his team's talent....these kids want to run, and are much better at it than standing around.......someday, somehow, it will happen again.......

Dan's offensive sets are prone to breakdown when the opponent increases the pressure late in close games.....and at the other end....our opponents are always getting open looks....
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I do agree that a team takes on the persona of the coach. Our 97-98 team played with swagger and confidence derived from JH. They thought they were as good as Kansas, and they were and played like it.

This team plays tight, afraid to lose and can become undone when pressure gets high. We have come out flat and nerved up in our 3 biggest games - Cincy, Duke, Valpo. Check shooting % and turnover numbers for first 5 vs rest of game in each of them. Significant difference.

Also of note, last night was not a hostile environment, wait for the Dunk. Poise will be tested.

I am not one to harp on our offensive sets or that we should play zone but I do need to see in game adjustments and wrinkles thrown at the opposing team. Besides wearing out our guards I don't see the benefit of playing full court man to man if you aren't going to trap occasionally or try to force the action. We applied a trap 2 times last night and stole a pass for an easy bucket. I'm in Rod's camp in that we have to allow these kids to play loose and take advantage of their athleticism.
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Well, that loss sucked.

But on the bright side...that JG bounce pass from above the 3 point line down to the post to Martin (I believe) was a thing of beauty.
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, in the past Dan has made adjustments that have worked, but for some reason, those adjustments aren't happening right now.....

Makes you scratch your head.....mix things up when things aren't working....take advantage of our athletes......these half court slogging matches don't go our way very often.....we play not to lose....like our football coach....

Maybe it's because our vaunted "depth" has disappeared? Other than Hassan, our frontcourt is horrible......Dowtin and EC are limited.....on and on it goes.....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Peters had a great game, but overall the defense wasn't bad, holding them in the 60's. Last night our offense was the problem and needs to get better.

I'm worried a little about EC and Jarvis working well together. At the beginning of the year EC was hot but Jarvis was almost invisible. Now they're trying to get Jarvis going and EC is invisible. EC is best offensively with the ball in his hands, but it's best for the team to have the ball in Jarvis' hands. It's imperative for the team that they find a way for EC to be effective off the ball.

For those bitching about the technical foul, Valparaiso had a 7-1 advantage on foul calls to that point in the second half. After Dan got T'd up for wanting an explanation (soft call), Valparaiso had three straight fouls called against them. Dan shouldn't have been given a technical, but it was effective in getting fairer treatment from the refs.
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bitching about the refs is such a lame and tired excuse now. We played awful, missed critical free throws, and again looked absolutely clueless in a potential game tying shot.
2 x
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

If anyone saw the 7AM Sportscenter, URI's last possession made it as a lowlight.

Hey Dan, how about instead of being a whiny little bitch to the refs like you are EVERY game you focus on coaching your team.

You could argue Dan's temper tantrum cost URI the game last night. URI which was down 64-62 was forced to foul, Valpo made 1 of 2 to make it 65-62. Game would have been 62-62 if Dan actually focused on coaching his team.

It's laughable that after the technical Dan was whining to the refs about not getting a warning. He's the biggest baby in D1 and everyone knows it, he doesn't deserve a warning.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Right, Peters was the one that killed us, literally just him, why wasn't Has on him even at the end?. Offensively, it was a lot of one on one. I think it's because they played great defense and zoned us and maned us so sporadically that Dan couldn't run his offense. Comparing what we did vs Cincy, we didn't take enough shots. Ball movement was bad and not enough hi-low action in the zone. Explanation for not playing well ? I'm not really sure and that's concerning.
0 x
GO RAMS
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

The sky isn't falling, let's all calm down. Let's see if we can turn this around vs PC.
1 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Def helped to vent last night. Still COMPLETELY let down and disappointed, but not pissed anymore.

^^ That said - this shit is 100%, unequivocally why we are all dumbfounded as to lack of local interest and home game attendance let downs.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

OK, on one hand it is one game, but it was a lost opportunity to shine, but worse yet it showed that the second half meltdowns in the Brown and Belmont games were more than aberrations. We have played well against two teams with RPI's in the 300's. The omens are not good.

The natives are getting restless because in the Dan Hurley tenure the high points of the past four seasons have been few as a rough pass at a cut of his record shows:
Versus Traditional  Rivals
        PC                 0-4
        UMass              2-8
        Brown              4-0

Versus A-10 Top Teams      8-22

Versus P-5 Teams           3-8

Versus Other Top Teams     3-5

Total                     20-47 
Percentage                0.298
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Obadiah wrote:OK, on one hand it is one game, but it was a lost opportunity to shine, but worse yet it showed that the second half meltdowns in the Brown and Belmont games were more than aberrations. We have played well against two teams with RPI's in the 300's. The omens are not good.

The natives are getting restless because in the Dan Hurley tenure the high points of the past four seasons have been few as a rough pass at a cut of his record shows:
Versus Traditional  Rivals
        PC                 0-4
        UMass              2-8
        Brown              4-0

Versus A-10 Top Teams      8-22

Versus P-5 Teams           3-8

Versus Other Top Teams     3-5

Total                     20-47 
Percentage                0.298
It is what it is. EC injury aside.
0 x
GO RAMS
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:We were A-10 Champions in 1999.
Did you forget Lamar's shot vs. Temple?
Nobody remembers who won the regular season championship,
just who won the tourney.
I think the problem here is, people buying into the hype,
every year except Dan's first year.
Oddly enough, that was his best coaching job,
getting the max out of Xavier Munford and not much else.
Many here consider me to be negative.
I write on what I see. I consider myself a realist.
Some just want to see through rose colored glasses or
think,maybe everyone should be a fanboy and be quiet.
It doesn't work that way. Sorry.
As I said in an earlier post, we've seen this movie too many times before.
Will the ending ever change?
Rod...check the record book. URI was the A-10 "tournament" champs, a 3-games-in-3-days crapshoot and won on a desperation 3-pointer. Hardly a championship team in my estimation. They were not the Atlantic 10 Champions...that title is reserved for those who win the regular season i.e. 1st place in the standings. So no, I didn't forget about it. But I just call it what it was...3-day crapshoot title (like the Maui Invitational).

Nobody remembers who wins the regular season? So if URI finishes in 1st place this year, it should not be acknowledged? No celebration by players, coaches, or fans? No banner should hang? Trust me, I'm not predicting it but at this point anything is possible. They're all 0-0 in the A-10. So if nobody remembers the regular season, why is everybody getting so worked up about a loss to Valpo in the non-conference in November? By your reasoning, it's irrelevant and we should just close our eyes, go to bed, and wait for the A-10 tourney.

However Rod, I DO agree with you that people here bought into the hype. I was ripped to shreds for poo-pooing the preseason ranking saying it was irrelevant, wasn't warranted, and wanted to see URI ranked at the end of the season, not at the beginning. I too was criticized for being negative and yet, I too, consider myself a realist. Let's hope this year's movie has a different middle and different ending.
Last edited by PlayMikeMotenMore 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Peters had a great game, but overall the defense wasn't bad, holding them in the 60's. Last night our offense was the problem and needs to get better.

I'm worried a little about EC and Jarvis working well together. At the beginning of the year EC was hot but Jarvis was almost invisible. Now they're trying to get Jarvis going and EC is invisible. EC is best offensively with the ball in his hands, but it's best for the team to have the ball in Jarvis' hands. It's imperative for the team that they find a way for EC to be effective off the ball.

For those bitching about the technical foul, Valparaiso had a 7-1 advantage on foul calls to that point in the second half. After Dan got T'd up for wanting an explanation (soft call), Valparaiso had three straight fouls called against them. Dan shouldn't have been given a technical, but it was effective in getting fairer treatment from the refs.
That's very simplistic to assume a cause and effect. Dan whines = thus Valpo is whistled for 3 fouls

Is it possible that all the fouls were legitimate fouls? Is it possible that refs miss calls randomly?

Where did Dan learn his whiny behavior? Does his dad try to intimidate officials? Is Bob Sr. whining the whole game? Does Dan think "riding the ref" the whole is part of being a coach? I don't get it. A call here and there...sure make a point to an official. But the constant complaining on every single call...enough already. Would he let a player act like that?
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

OK I asked this about "attackthebucket" CFL.... so after last night I guess I have to ask it again?

Run a play! Any play!

I think I still have my copy of coach Dean Smith's book. It's also avail on Amazon.....

Pick 4 plays. Run em till the cows come home. They work.

3 man weave and motion and "attackthebucket" aren't plays.

Yikes that last possession!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Not much more I can add here. I have two questions.

1. Wasn't Mike Layssard considered a great get? I know that bigs take time, but he gets no minutes on a team with a bad bench?

2. Did I imagine that Andre Berry is a solid offensive player? Sure he's not a great defender, but he's a big body that can rebound especially on offense. He can take someone 1 on 1 in the post and finish when players dish it off to him. I would love to have some insight on why these guys get absolutely no minutes.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Rhody15 wrote:Bitching about the refs is such a lame and tired excuse now. We played awful, missed critical free throws, and again looked absolutely clueless in a potential game tying shot.
Of all the negative things I witnessed last night (and there were plenty of them), nothing had me more infuriated than that last possession. Saying they looked clueless is being kind. It was incompetence at its worst. I mean really...how in the hell do you not get a shot off in that scenario?!? How?!? The whole situation looked so Baron-esque it made me sick. Totally inexcusable.

I still think this team has too much talent to play the way they have the past few games, but I need to see improvements ASAP or this season will quickly circle the drain. I also agree with all the comments re: Hurley and his coaching acumen. His game planning and in-game adjustments leave a lot to be desired. Very unimpressed thus far. Why not have Hass defend Peters when Iverson was clearly overmatched? Why not mix in some zone to throw Valpo off their rhythm? Why not continue to feed Hass in the paint when it was clear that Valpo had no answer? Why not let these kids get out and run instead of employing these coma-inducing halfcourt sets?? These seem like obvious changes a good coach should make, yet I'm still scratching my head this morning. So many questions, but sadly no answers.

We need to regroup and come out firing on all cylinders on Saturday. Another loss like tonight and this team is toast.
1 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Well, here's my two cents worth. Having never played the game beyond junior high school, I shy away from discussions on ex's and o's on this board. But, having watched URI for many years, I have come to some conclusions.
I never believed this team would be as good as most here. How is this team really different from last year's team? We have replaced Watson, who was very productive with EC who is coming off a major injury. We replace Four with Robinson, who is a defensive guard and not an offensive threat.
There is some talent on the bench, but it hasn't materialized to this point. We essentially have one front court player that we can count on. I never considered Iverson as one, even though he has had his moments. I am disappointed with the progress , or lack thereof, from last year's bench players, though.
Just because players get older doesn't mean they're automatically going to get better.

The play calling was questioned a lot here in the past and seems to be the same this year.
Dan still seems out of control too often.
Essentially, I see a team of great athletes and not great basketball players (only my opinion).
I see a front court player who is one of the best we've ever had and is an afterthought on offense.
I also see a team that is afraid to make mistakes because of the wrath of Dan. This will make a team seem slower than it actually is. No one wants to make a mistake at the end of a close game.
I think there is a disconnect between the coach and players. When teams play not to lose, they usually do.

These are just my opinion, right or wrong.
Last edited by ramfan85 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Same old, same old. The script does not change regardless of how strong our team is. Stay with the opponent, fall behind, rally to get close, but fail at the end. The last play doesn't work. It did work against the Bearcats which gave us some hope. Anyway, we recruited big men, play them. Play Berry, are we going to wait until almost the whole season is over like last year to find out he can play. Replacing ki with nicola is not the answer. They are too much the same physically. Clog the lane with berry. He might not block shots but he can be a force. Getting out rebounded over the past few games, we need some changes. Pressure the pc guards! And change the end of the story!
2 x