Tough Four game stretch ahead

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Tough Four game stretch ahead

Unread post by RF1 »

11/29 @ Valpo
12/03 @ Providence
12/06 Old Dominion
12/10 @ Houston
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Tough Four game stretch ahead

Unread post by TruePoint »

I will be accepting of 3-1
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We need to win 3 of them.....have to play for 40 minutes...not take stretches off please.....all of those 4 teams are better then the team we played tonight.....

Our interior D, and the lack of depth there, could cost us dearly.....we're playing to the level of our opponent AGAIN....that has to stop.....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't agree at all that we're playing to the level of our opponent. Throughout the game we built up a big lead, culminating in a 20 point margin. At that point we started to play our bench and they struggled, so we put our starters in to finish. This game was never in doubt
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I don't agree at all that we're playing to the level of our opponent. Throughout the game we built up a big lead, culminating in a 20 point margin. At that point we started to play our bench and they struggled, so we put our starters in to finish. This game was never in doubt
New phenomenon that we need to adjust to...not playing down to other teams...them playing up to us. We're ranked now. Teams circle us and give us their best shot.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will take 3-1 also.PC came from behind and beat Memphis. We will have our hands full with Bullock
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Also, none of those teams are as good as cinncinati.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I don't agree at all that we're playing to the level of our opponent. Throughout the game we built up a big lead, culminating in a 20 point margin. At that point we started to play our bench and they struggled, so we put our starters in to finish. This game was never in doubt
New phenomenon that we need to adjust to...not playing down to other teams...them playing up to us. We're ranked now. Teams circle us and give us their best shot.
This is an outstanding point
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

reef wrote:I will take 3-1 also.PC came from behind and beat Memphis. We will have our hands full with Bullock
And Holt could be a match up nightmare.......
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I expect Hass on Holt, also I expect PC to play a lot of zone against us
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Don't count on a PC victory yet
Cooley is a good coach and has had our number for awhile. No matter how much whining there is about PC's lack of talent I don't buy it . they have good players. The rivalry is huge no matter what there arrogant fans claim and it's their home game. 3-1 will be great these next 4 as long as one of the 3 is Hurley getting the PC monkey off his back
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
This is an outstanding point
Absolutely...a win against URI is now a "resume-booster."

As far as being happy with 3-1...seems easy to say - and sounds reasonable - but let's see what happens here if/when that "1" happens. :lol:
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Cooley always keeps those guys playing tough. He's a really good coach; should be getting looks from the P5 schools, which he doesn't seem to, for some reason. And they do have some talent, for sure.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

UCH21377 wrote:Cooley always keeps those guys playing tough. He's a really good coach; should be getting looks from the P5 schools, which he doesn't seem to, for some reason. And they do have some talent, for sure.
Uninformed opinion, I think he's gotten some looks, but they've been shut down pretty quickly, and I think as a show of good faith, that's why his contract seems to get extended for money with regularity. He's paid very competitively and his demands were a big reason for the new practice facility being developed. I don't think he needs all the bells and whistles of P5, just some of the resources to help compete against them, and to Coach Cooley the practice facility was a huge step forward in that regard.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
UCH21377 wrote:Cooley always keeps those guys playing tough. He's a really good coach; should be getting looks from the P5 schools, which he doesn't seem to, for some reason. And they do have some talent, for sure.
Uninformed opinion, I think he's gotten some looks, but they've been shut down pretty quickly, and I think as a show of good faith, that's why his contract seems to get extended for money with regularity. He's paid very competitively and his demands were a big reason for the new practice facility being developed. I don't think he needs all the bells and whistles of P5, just some of the resources to help compete against them, and to Coach Cooley the practice facility was a huge step forward in that regard.
RJ, I'm admittedly uninformed, and I don't go on the PC board. Perhaps there are rumours that I don't see. All I am saying is that he is, IMO, a really good coach that should be getting looks for some of the higher profile openings when they come up. Maybe he is.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....a win at home, two road wins.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If Rhody does not get by Valpo in game 1, fasten your setbelts. It will be a bumpy ride. At PC and Houston will be really tough games and ODU at home is no gimmie. 3-1 would be a good outcome on this part of the schedule but 2-2 is probably a much more likely record.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

twisted3829 wrote:I expect Hass on Holt, also I expect PC to play a lot of zone against us
Zone? who plays zone defense? We know that you cant win playing zone defense .... :)

PC game to me will be the toughest of the next 4, road game in a rivalry with likely to be a pick em game.
If URI comes into the game off a loss to Valpo the pressure will be immense on our guys to win. One thing for sure if we'll know alot
about our team over the next 2 weeks
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:If Rhody does not get by Valpo in game 1, fasten your setbelts. It will be a bumpy ride. At PC and Houston will be really tough games and ODU at home is no gimmie. 3-1 would be a good outcome on this part of the schedule but 2-2 is probably a much more likely record.
None of these games will be easy, but 2-2 would be disappointing. These are all quality opponents, but URI will be the better team in each game. At some point you have to start taking care of games like this if you want to be the program you want to be, and if you have the type of team we think we have now.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

UCH21377 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
RJ, I'm admittedly uninformed, and I don't go on the PC board. Perhaps there are rumours that I don't see. All I am saying is that he is, IMO, a really good coach that should be getting looks for some of the higher profile openings when they come up. Maybe he is.
There haven't been any rumors, that's why I believe that Ed himself has declined to pursue them before rumors start, because almost every off-season, he's given more money and better perks. Getting that basketball facility done really satisfied a huge need for Cooley to feel like he could compete better with other P5 schools who all seem to be putting up multi-million dollar state of the art athletic facilities. That facility will include dining facility, as well as better strength & conditioning and court availability.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:If Rhody does not get by Valpo in game 1, fasten your setbelts. It will be a bumpy ride. At PC and Houston will be really tough games and ODU at home is no gimmie. 3-1 would be a good outcome on this part of the schedule but 2-2 is probably a much more likely record.
None of these games will be easy, but 2-2 would be disappointing. These are all quality opponents, but URI will be the better team in each game. At some point you have to start taking care of games like this if you want to be the program you want to be, and if you have the type of team we think we have now.
.......exactly....
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Cooley is a great coach and will have them up and ready for us, playing them up as underdogs. Talent wise we have the advantage at almost every position. PC has 1 guy who can put the ball on the floor and beat you off dribble (Cartwright), they are not big and are not a great shooting team. They are young and still searching for an identity. They will zone the shit out of us, and attempt to make it a rock fight. On paper we have a clear advantage, but the games and especially this rivalry game are not played on paper. We could win by 20 or lose by 2. Anything less than 3-1 will be a disappointment.

Go Rhody!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Although it's not listed on GoRhody.com, the Valpo game will be on ESPN3.
3 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote:Although it's not listed on GoRhody.com, the Valpo game will be on ESPN3.
Oh wow thats huge. I was thinking we weren't going to have any way to watch this one. I see it's listed on the Valpo site but it wasn't there when I looked a couple days ago.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Go 4-0. Be the team you want to be. Carry the A10 banner.

Go 3-1. Thats ok, but thats not special. Especially if the 1 is a loss to PC.

Go 2-2. Thats a failure on an experienced teams part and a coaching staff.

Obviously the season goes on but there is a level of performance associated with top 40 teams, the 25-35 teams, and then the top 25, which breaks down into tiers. Go 2-2? thats like 40s type stuff.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Houston in my opinion will be the toughest game.

If we want to be ranked after these four games, we'll have to go 4-0.

Very very slim chance we're ranked if we go 3-1, regardless of what team we lose to.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
.......exactly....
"URI will be the better team in each game" is exactly why there will be a KB meltdown if they lose even one of them, which is fine. If you're the "better team" in each game, you can't say, in advance, that 3-1 will be okay - not ahead of time - in retrospect, maybe...but not ahead of time. A loss in any of the 4 - at the time it happens - would be a mini-crisis. Am not expecting losses in any of them.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

^^^^ This..... +1
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

A loss will be very tough yes. There's still a whole lot of pressure on us in the non-conference to get quality wins.
Right now we have one really good win and this Belmont win will be pretty good.
I was thinking Houston was our toughest game left, but after watching Valpo beat Bama and BYU they have shown me they are the real deal. They are the definite top dawgs in the Horizon, have an NBA player and a veteran team. That's an opportunity for another really good win. The other three will be good wins, but Valpo looks like they're gonna dance so I think beating them would really help us out.
If I had to choose a loss in this four game stretch it would be against Houston. Wouldn't be happy with it... but it wouldn't be too bad for us.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Valpo needs to be beat down. It will be EC's revenge game.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
section(105) wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
.......exactly....
"URI will be the better team in each game" is exactly why there will be a KB meltdown if they lose even one of them, which is fine. If you're the "better team" in each game, you can't say, in advance, that 3-1 will be okay - not ahead of time - in retrospect, maybe...but not ahead of time. A loss in any of the 4 - at the time it happens - would be a mini-crisis. Am not expecting losses in any of them.
URI will be the better overall team in each game but this is college basketball, home court plays a huge advantage. I could easily see both Valpo and Houston favored by a point or two, maybe even PC.

Personally I will be disappointed even with one loss over this four game stretch but I also realize one loss will most likely mean only 2 losses during our OOC schedule which is what most expected or better.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Right. We will be better, but not in the way Kentucky was better than Middle Tennessee. It's a long season. You don't win every game even if you're marginally better. I want to see this team grind hard games out on the road against good teams, but it isn't realistic to expect that they will do that every time all year. Even very good teams lose games on the road to legit competition in college basketball.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That's why they call them upsets. Every game is going to be an upset if we lose. We are going to be favored in every game from a National perspective. But that Valpo game, BlueMan making egg sandwiches and the empty feeling felt last year without EC, must be redeemed. This team needs to win that one for the fans.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Indiana can lose at Fort Wayne, we can easily lose any one of these 3 road games. Expecting to win all three of these road games will most like result in a meltdown, but it shouldn't. These are 18-22 year old kids. I'm fully expecting one lose out of these road games, as I did at the beginning of the season.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Kenpom.com has us as slight underdogs against Providence and Houston and slight favorites against Valparaiso.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

One game at a time. We are favored to win at Valpo. Right? Let's win this one then think about the next. I'm expecting to win this one. We have the horses, right?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:Right. We will be better, but not in the way Kentucky was better than Middle Tennessee. It's a long season. You don't win every game even if you're marginally better. I want to see this team grind hard games out on the road against good teams, but it isn't realistic to expect that they will do that every time all year. Even very good teams lose games on the road to legit competition in college basketball.
Agreed. Like I said before, it wouldn't surprise me to see Valpo or Houston favored so it really wouldn't even be much of an upset if we lost.

Every game in this four game stretch is very winnable so even though I expect us to lose one I'll still be disappointed if and when it happens.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Vegas may favor a team on the betting line. But the national perception of a top 25 team losing to an unranked opponent is an upset.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we will do ok if teams play zone vs us. I have confidence our guys can make that open 3 if the ball movement is there
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Cincinnati zoned us for 39 minutes.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's now REALLY put up or shut up time......road games will determine our fate......
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Valpo thread is up.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

reef wrote:I think we will do ok if teams play zone vs us. I have confidence our guys can make that open 3 if the ball movement is there
We're definitely better prepared to handle a zone now then we have been in the past. With Kuran playing that foul line post position and his passing ability and three guys (EC, Jarvis and Terrell) that can hit from the outside I don't think we are as easily shut down by a zone as we might have been before.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

adam914 wrote:
reef wrote:I think we will do ok if teams play zone vs us. I have confidence our guys can make that open 3 if the ball movement is there
We're definitely better prepared to handle a zone now then we have been in the past. With Kuran playing that foul line post position and his passing ability and three guys (EC, Jarvis and Terrell) that can hit from the outside I don't think we are as easily shut down by a zone as we might have been before.
I feel the same way. Mentally going into a game knowing there is a zone will be fine for our team. 3-5 guys that know they just have to zip it around and set their feet.

Stan Robinson, who ppl said could be a pg for us deserves a ton of credit. He can break the zone down off the dribble and create easy shots. His finish also seems to be a jump stop baby hook thing, which is a legit threat for the zone in that 10 foot soft area.

Throw him in with a heady Kuran at the free throw line. Jared's step up to be just dominant on all fronts offensively. Not to mention if EC is good to go and Jarvis does what Jarvis does.

URI is good. Good for most teams they will encounter and whatever they throw at them.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
And, not going with the three man weave is helpful, too (Hopefully, I didn't jinx it)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Waiting for that one game where we all click from outside as even KI has the ability to hit the 3 ball
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: Stan Robinson, who ppl said could be a pg for us deserves a ton of credit. He can break the zone down off the dribble and create easy shots. His finish also seems to be a jump stop baby hook thing, which is a legit threat for the zone in that 10 foot soft area.

Throw him in with a heady Kuran at the free throw line. Jared's step up to be just dominant on all fronts offensively. Not to mention if EC is good to go and Jarvis does what Jarvis does.
Good call on Robinson to, I didn't even factor him in.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
And, not going with the three man weave is helpful, too (Hopefully, I didn't jinx it)
Haha I think they did do the weave twice against Belmont, worked slightly better than last year
Last edited by rhodysurf 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The weave works when they have their slashers on the floor and can dominate the guard matchups. They should be able to at least draw a foul or get excellent penetration via the weave with correct personnel.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RamFanCO19
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by RamFanCO19 »

ATPTourFan wrote:The weave works when they have their slashers on the floor and can dominate the guard matchups. They should be able to at least draw a foul or get excellent penetration via the weave with correct personnel.

I think this could be a key to our success against PC, I really don't see anyway that they can guard our guards with the personnel they have- Cartwright is not going to be able to stay in front of a much more physical EC or Jarvis... and so on. I do think PC will Zone us, i wonder if we will see any Zone from Valpo, might be a good chance to work on that O stuff this week
0 x